PDA

View Full Version : What type of a cricket fan are you

Raynman
July 22, 2010, 12:04 PM
What kind of a cricket fan are you (inspired by Al F’s changing of the guard thread).

Multiple selections are possible.

For me, I used to a die hard cricket fan growing up. I am probably on the older side when compared to a lot of the BC fans here but I started following cricket in the early 80s and grew up during the Hadlee/Dev/Khan/Botham era. I was obsessed to the point of keeping all stats, following each and every match/series and even spending a whole day following radio commentary of a test match when available. Things changed when I moved to the US in the 1990 and slowly fell out of touch with Cricket primarily due to the unavailability of it from American media (This is way before the internet age). I tried to follow as much through phone calls to BD and getting information while I could but eventually gave up shortly after the 1992 world cup. I made point to follow the 96 WC matches but after that I was done. I heard about the 97 win vs. Ken for BD and the 99 win vs. PAK and the embarrassment of 2003 to Canada but none of it really registered. ( I never knew of Michael Bevan until he was already retired) It was probably the 2005 Cadriff win that brought me back to cricket but only as a BD cricket fan. I’ve stopped even following my other favorite team New Zealand. Now the only cricket I follow is BD matches, WCs and series’ that BD is involved in. I keep updated with other ICC happenings but there is no rush on my part to follow up on it.

However, I am thoroughly entertained by T20 and will catch IPL matches (followed ICL when DW was involved) if time permits. With family and other interests, I no longer have the time or desire to be a cricket fan as I once was.

Poll Options:

1. I only follow Bangladesh
2. I love Cricket and study the game
3. I only follow major events like World Cups
4. I follow a specific team (IND, PAK etc.)
5. I come to BC for my love of Bangladesh Cricket
6. I come to BC when I have nothing better to do
7. I have a serious need to post and follow replies to me whenever possible
8. I come to BC for information
9. BC is a big part of my social life
10. I just like to start trouble by commenting on whatever post is available

Raynman
July 22, 2010, 12:14 PM
can someone help me update #8 to

I have a serious need to post and follow replies to me whenever possible

in the poll?

Murad
July 22, 2010, 12:26 PM
I come to BC for my love of Bangladesh Cricket
I come to BC for information

Dilscoop
July 22, 2010, 12:47 PM
I follow every kinds of cricket around the world. And less Bangladeshi losers

MohammedC
July 22, 2010, 01:23 PM
I only follow Bangladesh

I come to BC for information

BC is a big part of my social life

I love cricket but I dont study the game.

Razi
July 22, 2010, 01:29 PM
'I love Cricket and study the game'

'I come to BC for my love of Bangladesh Cricket'

bujhee kom
July 22, 2010, 01:32 PM
I am a 39 years old Bangladeshi man. I am a cricket fan and BC is the only social life I have. .

revolver
July 22, 2010, 02:51 PM
i just enjoy bc people and ove watching cricket of bangladesh also love watching the indians matches...
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)

Nadim
July 22, 2010, 02:56 PM

BC is a big part of my social life

....:-|

alibangali
July 22, 2010, 04:06 PM
I used to love watching my nation play cricket on the big stage, now siddons has shattered my passion and its too painful to watch my team play any more. The team who were fearless so aggressive and so exciting to watch have been turned into zombies and are so boring.

Raynman, you should have added an option "Heart Broken and Lost Bangladesh fan"

Raynman
July 22, 2010, 04:18 PM
Raynman, you should have added an option "Heart Broken and Lost Bangladesh fan"

Unfortunately there is no need to figure that out through a poll. :(

Siddons has scarred many of us.

meazz1
July 22, 2010, 04:29 PM
I come to this forum for the latest update on BD cricket.

Raynman, you needed another option.
"I leave this forum every time BD loses but always I find myself back here".

chotpoti
July 22, 2010, 05:34 PM
the thread opener will take over shamim mia in near future for the post of ''poll master'' :D

bujhee kom
July 22, 2010, 05:57 PM
the thread opener will take over shamim mia in near future for the post of ''poll master'' :D

Chotpoti miah bhai....how do you know Shamim Mia the Pollmaster?
You were here before dada? different name...hahahah?
Are you like old wine in a new bottol...hahahaahaha?
My dearest Chotpoti bhai, I am just kidding, you know!

MohammedC
July 22, 2010, 06:10 PM

BK bhai chotpoti bashi na nothun :-|. karon bashi hole pathla paikhana hoyar shombobona 100%

simon
July 22, 2010, 07:01 PM

same here!

simon
July 22, 2010, 07:17 PM
I follow every kinds of cricket around the world. And less Bangladeshi losers

yr posts make me feel like u r more of an angry fan(towards BD cricket) but at the bottom of your heart it's the opposite. :flag: :)

Baundule
July 22, 2010, 07:27 PM
I love cricket and no matter if Bangladesh lives or dies I am going to follow cricket. I hate Pakistan and England teams, although I follow their matches. For the other teams, I do not have any dislike, although WI used to get the highest preference.

I am rapidly losing my interest in Bangladesh cricket, thanks to the stupid BCB and Siddons, the destroyer. I must confess recently I watched even a test match (forgot which one) when a Bangladesh ODI match was in progress. After that, I have stopped blaming the BCCI for not inviting us.

After seeing the Pro- and Anti-Siddons polls, I have almost lost my faith in Bangladesh making any progress in any sector, let alone cricket. We deserve to be humiliated.

chotpoti
July 22, 2010, 08:03 PM

Bk bhaia'r dekhi buddi ase..nd i know u r kidding...:)) i hv been a silent reader from couple of years :D

chotpoti
July 22, 2010, 08:04 PM
BK bhai chotpoti bashi na nothun :-|. karon bashi hole pathla paikhana hoyar shombobona 100%

:floor::floor: eita ki koilen ?? bashi hoile to aro moja..

nycpro96
July 22, 2010, 10:45 PM
Huge part being my love for Bangladesh cricket. I am into Bangladesh cricket in a way that can't be described in words at all. But I also love the game of cricket and I love being part of a great social group like BC.

One World
July 23, 2010, 12:57 AM
First I am a cricket fan. I love this sport and remember watching Sharjah Cup in Gillete Sports.

Then came Bangladesh and I am a patriot. But I am a patriot before being a cricket fan. So I love BD cricket. That does not stop me following other teams.

Some people have the notion to convey illegitimate grudge on a country, that can be based on personal clash, family history, politics or religion. When it comes to cricket for some reason my better side overcomes those if I have any which I doubt. So in the same match I can neutrally enjoy the players doing good from both opponents.

It does not stop me to praise Zaheer if he can baffle our batsmen. But yes wrong umpiring decisions really makes me pissed. !987, my first World Cup, I fell in love with cricket, bemused and till now I think I am living into it.

Cricket is not just a sport, a good test match can be a life time experience.

Ananna
July 23, 2010, 09:27 AM
I am an avid cricket fan. I have been following cricket since mid 1980s. I remember in early 90s I used to go to Dhaka stadium regularly to watch cricket, no matter what the tournament is or who is playing. I probably didn’t miss a single Abahani match between 1990 and 1992. I used to play a little bit cricket as well, mostly with tennis ball. I was a huge follower of WI cricket. Lara is my all time favorite player.
Whenever BD is playing I try to find a link to watch it (in fact that’s what brought me to BC forum). If I cant, I just follow it live on crcinfo. I also follow other matches on cricinfo on regular basis.

It really hurts when BD looses matches against the associates. But I guess I will follow BD cricket no matter what.

cricket_king
July 23, 2010, 09:53 AM
90% Bangladesh cricket. Though I do check up on all other international matches, even associate matches interest me. Not a fan of T20 at all, though I do follow Bangladesh T20 matches - would rather watch a grueling 5-day test in bowling conditions. In the end, whether they win or lose (constantly), I'll always be watching and supporting my boys. :flag:

lamisa
July 23, 2010, 10:10 AM

me too and also there's another reason that i have for visiting bc.here i can discuss about cricket to my heart's content but i can't do that when i am with my friends because most of them think that cricket is the worst thing that ever happened to planet earth and the ones who don't think that way don't know much about cricket except char,chhokka and out!

Beamer
July 23, 2010, 10:27 AM
Almost exactly the same as your growing experience Raynman. Grew up in eighties with a radio stuck to the ears for test matches. Thanks to that Grundig SW radio I had, courtesy my father, who used to listen to games with passion. I grew up mesmerized by Viv Richards and the famous WI pacers. I think WC '87 in India-Pakistan was probably the first time we had the chance to watch games ( ODI ) live. Before and after that Sharjah was popular, but more than anything, I waited patientlly to watch Channel 9 ( Aus ) highlights of B&H series from Australia, narrated by Richie Benaud. Mid nineties also was a period of wilderness for me. Moving to US would do that. Did catch some games on '92 and '96 WC. I was definitely a cricket fan back then, I still am, but appearance of BD in the test scene has completely changed things for me personally, and I dare say for the better as a cricket fan/entusiast, even though results have not gone our way. Why ? Simple. It is much easier to follow Australia for example , for an Aussie fans persepctive of the last decade and a half, since on most occassions, they are expected to win, which may preventsa casual fan to actually dig deep and dissect matters. Australia plays, Australia wins, have a beer and go home happy. Losing constantly has probably one benefit for us. It allows a willing fan to debate on various aspects of our game which maybe lacking, as ways to improve our team, which inadvertantly raises his/her knowledge about the game. I know I have benefitted. We in BC, on average, probably has more knowledgable fans than any other forums worldwide. It is not an accident. In the process, we are actually creating a culture of cricket, which is a must for a nation who aspires to thrive as a cricket country.

lamisa
July 24, 2010, 09:40 AM
good post beamer bhai!

Beamer
July 24, 2010, 12:59 PM
Thanks lamisa.

Raynman
July 24, 2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks Beamer. I was hoping this thread would spur more posts like that so we could get a better cricket following background from each other.

dark mage
July 24, 2010, 11:09 PM
I used to follow cricket, study cricket, play 1st division cricket, and support two specific teams (Pak, SA) along with Bangladesh during my teenage years. But now, as I grow older and have less time, I only feel like following the Bangladesh team and anything related to this team and watch games that Bangladesh plays in, even though it frustrates the heck outta me and leaves me depressed. But TBH, I dont enjoy cricket as much anymore to invest time in watching the games of other teams, except from keeping up-to-date with the latest games using Cricinfo and the newspapers.

Imteaz
July 25, 2010, 03:03 AM
Signature tells the story..... :)

auntu
July 25, 2010, 05:43 AM
Bk bhaia'r dekhi buddi ase..nd i know u r kidding...:)) i hv been a silent reader from couple of years :D
[বাংলা]ছেনা ছেনা লাগে...[/বাংলা]

Sohel
July 25, 2010, 06:04 AM
1. I only follow Bangladesh (used to follow WI, SL and Aus also, but not as much nowadays).

2. I love Cricket and study the game.

3. I come to BC for my love of Bangladesh Cricket.

Naimul_Hd
July 25, 2010, 06:41 AM
1. I love Cricket and study the game

2. I come to BC for my love of Bangladesh Cricket

3. I come to BC for information

4. BC is a big part of my social life.

So, to sum up, I love cricket because it’s my passion, and not just a sport. Every time I log into BC, I know that this is the special place where my passion fills up in colour ! :)

al Furqaan
July 25, 2010, 03:33 PM
its quite fair to say, al Furqaan has evolved as a cricket fan.

i'd really like to hear what Rommel and Shahzad (cricman) have to say here, as i think we're the only three born-and-raised Americans here.

as an American kid growing up, my first serious sporting love was basketball. i was an addict of course. Ammar (ammark) probably remembers the basketball mag i used to always carry around during my summer visits to his home in Dhaka. i was such a bball fiend, that my parents would always brag/lament to other aunties/uncles about how i could never remember to do my homework, yet i knew the "heights and weights" of pretty much every NBA player around in the 1990s. actually, i was always more statistically inclined, and i was far more adept at memorizing the stats printed on the back of the trading cards i used to collect.

at any rate, i grew up in the nostalgic "golden era" of the NBA. so many greats, even the players i hated (Karl Malone) were great. Jordan, Olajuwon, Pippen, Ewing, Robinson, Shaq, Payton, Drexler, Barkley, Zo...the list of legends almost never ends. Even the not so famous, the Vinny Del Negros, the Sam Cassells, Robert Horry, Dumars, Augmon, Mitch Richmond, Greg Anthony, Dan Majorle, Kenny Anderson, all these guys bring back the fondest memories.

eventually, once MJ retired from the Bulls, and Olajuwon aged, and Shareef just sucked...i stopped following basketball and switched to watching my hometown Tennessee Titans. after the titans lost their star players (mostly to the Baltimore Ravens via free agency)...my passion dwindled. of course Chris Johnson and a rejuvenated Vince Young are bringing some of that passion back.

but my love affair with cricket started in the most mundane of fashions. it was the summer of 1997.

Bangladesh had just beaten Kenya to take the ICC Trophy crown for the first time, the nation went wild, yet i hadn't heard a peep about it back in the USA...where my focus was more on whether the trio of Olajuwon-Drexler-Barkely could oust Jordan-Pippen-Rodman for Houston's 3rd title.

my very first encounter with cricket, beyond BTV's news highlights was actually at Ammar's home sometime in may of 1997. i ended up spending a few nights over at his place where we got into all sorts of teenage shenanigans, he was 13 and i, his wet-behind-the-ears nephew had just turned 14 the previous month.

the first cricket match i ever watched was the 1997 Independence Cup rubber between India and Sri Lanka in which Vaas (my assumption) clean bowled Ganguly first ball. Ammar practically jumped out of his chair and into the flat above us, and his older sister ran into the room and could hardly believe Dada had been castled for the most golden of ducks. i had no effing clue what the big deal was, or even that meant a wicket had fallen.

needless to say, i was quite bored for however long we watched that match...or maybe i wasn't, i don't remember.

cricket, that summer in Dhaka, was inescapable. men talked about it, boys talked about it, girls talked about, women talked about it, grandmothers talked about it. maybe it was the void of not having basketball, whatever it was, i slowly let cricket into my system. by the time the Asia Cup rolled in a couple months later, i knew the basics of the game, and even knew a few of the more famous names.

i promptly forgot about cricket upon coming back to the US, but remembered hearing that we beat Pakistan (who i knew was a Test team) in the 99 WC. somehow, by 2002 i knew we had Test status, but i'm not sure how i knew. at any rate, i think it was the BBC website that alerted me to the 2003 world cup, and starting about a month before that disasterous tourney, i started following cricket, Bangladesh in specific.

from the very beginning i followed some or most, if not all of the matches, but only followed BD obsessively. over the years, i've come to love the game for itself, and not just because its BD's lone sporting beacon on the global stage.

it also helps that one of good friends, is also an american born (but saudi raised) Bangali kid with a love of NFL, NBA, and of course Test cricket. over the years, we've both traded our cricketing wits, and impressed each other by the wealth of knowledge we both have about the game.

when i saw a real window to watch Bangladesh during their last bilateral Caribbean tour, i immediately invited my friend, Saad, to come and watch with me. it was, according to him, "one of the best days ever".

One World
July 25, 2010, 07:43 PM
As an American born kid your Bangla is too good.

lamisa
July 26, 2010, 05:26 AM
its quite fair to say, al Furqaan has evolved as a cricket fan.

i'd really like to hear what Rommel and Shahzad (cricman) have to say here, as i think we're the only three born-and-raised Americans here.

as an American kid growing up, my first serious sporting love was basketball. i was an addict of course. Ammar (ammark) probably remembers the basketball mag i used to always carry around during my summer visits to his home in Dhaka. i was such a bball fiend, that my parents would always brag/lament to other aunties/uncles about how i could never remember to do my homework, yet i knew the "heights and weights" of pretty much every NBA player around in the 1990s. actually, i was always more statistically inclined, and i was far more adept at memorizing the stats printed on the back of the trading cards i used to collect.

at any rate, i grew up in the nostalgic "golden era" of the NBA. so many greats, even the players i hated (Karl Malone) were great. Jordan, Olajuwon, Pippen, Ewing, Robinson, Shaq, Payton, Drexler, Barkley, Zo...the list of legends almost never ends. Even the not so famous, the Vinny Del Negros, the Sam Cassells, Robert Horry, Dumars, Augmon, Mitch Richmond, Greg Anthony, Dan Majorle, Kenny Anderson, all these guys bring back the fondest memories.

eventually, once MJ retired from the Bulls, and Olajuwon aged, and Shareef just sucked...i stopped following basketball and switched to watching my hometown Tennessee Titans. after the titans lost their star players (mostly to the Baltimore Ravens via free agency)...my passion dwindled. of course Chris Johnson and a rejuvenated Vince Young are bringing some of that passion back.

but my love affair with cricket started in the most mundane of fashions. it was the summer of 1997.

Bangladesh had just beaten Kenya to take the ICC Trophy crown for the first time, the nation went wild, yet i hadn't heard a peep about it back in the USA...where my focus was more on whether the trio of Olajuwon-Drexler-Barkely could oust Jordan-Pippen-Rodman for Houston's 3rd title.

my very first encounter with cricket, beyond BTV's news highlights was actually at Ammar's home sometime in may of 1997. i ended up spending a few nights over at his place where we got into all sorts of teenage shenanigans, he was 13 and i, his wet-behind-the-ears nephew had just turned 14 the previous month.

the first cricket match i ever watched was the 1997 Independence Cup rubber between India and Sri Lanka in which Vaas (my assumption) clean bowled Ganguly first ball. Ammar practically jumped out of his chair and into the flat above us, and his older sister ran into the room and could hardly believe Dada had been castled for the most golden of ducks. i had no effing clue what the big deal was, or even that meant a wicket had fallen.

needless to say, i was quite bored for however long we watched that match...or maybe i wasn't, i don't remember.

cricket, that summer in Dhaka, was inescapable. men talked about it, boys talked about it, girls talked about, women talked about it, grandmothers talked about it. maybe it was the void of not having basketball, whatever it was, i slowly let cricket into my system. by the time the Asia Cup rolled in a couple months later, i knew the basics of the game, and even knew a few of the more famous names.

i promptly forgot about cricket upon coming back to the US, but remembered hearing that we beat Pakistan (who i knew was a Test team) in the 99 WC. somehow, by 2002 i knew we had Test status, but i'm not sure how i knew. at any rate, i think it was the BBC website that alerted me to the 2003 world cup, and starting about a month before that disasterous tourney, i started following cricket, Bangladesh in specific.

from the very beginning i followed some or most, if not all of the matches, but only followed BD obsessively. over the years, i've come to love the game for itself, and not just because its BD's lone sporting beacon on the global stage.

it also helps that one of good friends, is also an american born (but saudi raised) Bangali kid with a love of NFL, NBA, and of course Test cricket. over the years, we've both traded our cricketing wits, and impressed each other by the wealth of knowledge we both have about the game.

when i saw a real window to watch Bangladesh during their last bilateral Caribbean tour, i immediately invited my friend, Saad, to come and watch with me. it was, according to him, "one of the best days ever".

even i started watching cricket from the 2003 WC and the first thing that i knew about it was that i hated a team called india for some reason still unknown to me!i wasn't really into bd cricket from the beginning but started following bd cricket thoroughly from 2005

Beamer
July 26, 2010, 09:52 AM
Good stuff Al. I used to say to my American friends wanting to learn cricket, that you almost have to be born with it, live around it, live in it, play from early age, or part of the culture to learn or instantly pick up cricket! Well, I am wrong, and I do think of you when I dismiss them casually. I have seen you from the very beginning here in BC, and needless to say, the gradual ladder that you climbed to the top is impressive. Proud.

al Furqaan
July 26, 2010, 12:19 PM
Good stuff Al. I used to say to my American friends wanting to learn cricket, that you almost have to be born with it, live around it, live in it, play from early age, or part of the culture to learn or instantly pick up cricket! Well, I am wrong, and I do think of you when I dismiss them casually. I have seen you from the very beginning here in BC, and needless to say, the gradual ladder that you climbed to the top is impressive. Proud.

thanks my man. its posters like you who provide the rungs on said ladder...i only hope i can do the same for whoever follows...

cricket is surely a complex sport, but i doubt if its more complex than (american) football. if americans can learn football, there is no reason they can't pick cricket up in short time, provided they have the willingness to learn. when u think about the actual game of Xs and Os, the unique lingo each coach uses in his schemes, and the sheer amount of things a QB has to learn when jumping from college to the Pros or from one system to another, cricket (and probably any other sport) seems extremely elementary by comparison!

i'd jump at any opportunity to teach americans about this game. i think one of the things which deters americans from it is its exotic and eccentric nature. americans are master exporters but aren't very adept at importing things (asides from crude oil perhaps). add to that the very lengthy nature of cricket, even the 50 over format...and it makes sense why such an ADHD nation will shun such a brilliant game.

MatinSux
July 26, 2010, 01:56 PM
thanks my man. its posters like you who provide the rungs on said ladder...i only hope i can do the same for whoever follows...

cricket is surely a complex sport, but i doubt if its more complex than (american) football. if americans can learn football, there is no reason they can't pick cricket up in short time, provided they have the willingness to learn. when u think about the actual game of Xs and Os, the unique lingo each coach uses in his schemes, and the sheer amount of things a QB has to learn when jumping from college to the Pros or from one system to another, cricket (and probably any other sport) seems extremely elementary by comparison!

i'd jump at any opportunity to teach americans about this game. i think one of the things which deters americans from it is its exotic and eccentric nature. americans are master exporters but aren't very adept at importing things (asides from crude oil perhaps). add to that the very lengthy nature of cricket, even the 50 over format...and it makes sense why such an ADHD nation will shun such a brilliant game.
Well I have been raised here ever since I was a kid. I used to watch every american sports there is basketball, baseball, hockey, tennis, etc, you just name it. One sport I really despised was in fact the american football as I thought it was a meaningless sport. I mean it literally featured big giant men in tights. Yet still I would watch the finals if I found it in HD. I used to be a die hard Phillies fan, but they used to suck when I supported them. As a result over the years I have lost my interest in that as well. I mean roughly 75% of the game involves either strike out, ground out, or fly out. How boring!

Americans in general aren't very good at adapting to sports outside of their invention. Look at soccer it's only played for like 90 mins, and much easier to learn than cricket, yet still it finds much less interest in the US. They just wanna make their own games, own league play NY vs PHIL and call it world championship.

Bottom line, I am still waiting to see World Cup cricket broadcast in 50" Bravia or Viera in HD. That would be a treat to watch.

lamisa
July 27, 2010, 09:57 AM
i wonder who voted for the last option...

Sohel
July 29, 2010, 03:12 AM
@Asad: I moved to the US at 12 and shortwave radio was the only way I could follow the game from suburban DC. Things got better after the Internet.

Baundule
July 29, 2010, 04:11 AM
Internet and statistics put together ... :D

al-Sagar
July 29, 2010, 04:32 AM

someone like AK420

lamisa
July 29, 2010, 05:28 AM
^^^hmmm,but he is banned now,right?

Nadim
July 29, 2010, 06:00 AM
someone like AK420

^^^hmmm,but he is banned now,right?

4 person voted for that......aka20 banned be4 this thread opened so he is out of the equation........

im guessing "Dilscoope" is one of them :-|

Rest u guys can guess

lamisa
July 29, 2010, 06:25 AM
^^^^lol,amio etai bolte chaisilam!

al-Sagar
July 29, 2010, 08:44 AM
Rest u guys can guess

amar mone hoy Bujhee_kom vai na buijhe oi option e ekta vote dise.

Imteaz
July 30, 2010, 01:09 AM
someone like AK420

:)

Bhai Banned hoia gese. Maf koira den....

lamisa
July 30, 2010, 06:47 AM
amar mone hoy Bujhee_kom vai na buijhe oi option e ekta vote dise.

tai ekbar bhabsilam je maybe b-k bhai ei option e vote koreo ekta bhejal korte chay!