PDA

View Full Version : This is 2010 not 2005, Different standards and Higher levels of accountability

cricman
July 24, 2010, 10:37 AM
My mother told you dont compare your self to someone in Junior High, your older better and smarter.

It's sickening to see some here just bring up old scorecards and say look at the progress, look at the thrashings we suffered, look at the negative batting etc. As a means to justify Dr. Evil and colossal failures.

Players from 2005 < Players from 2010

It's not because of him we got semi respectable losses, it's because he has better players & with the players he has, we would should be doing much better than we are right now

This guy is stuck on elementary teaching backwards, he only knows his way and cant adapt.

Performance has been unacceptable

One World
July 24, 2010, 10:39 AM
Great post :up:

aklemalp
July 24, 2010, 10:47 AM
for a team to be good in winning they have to be consistent,i think that the tigers had been their,but i'm sorry that they haven't made it their home,they are just afraid,they need to have the winning(kill;er) mentality.

WarWolf
July 24, 2010, 11:04 AM
Top post cricman, a very basic one.

Murad
July 24, 2010, 12:14 PM
Finally a good thread.

I'm tired to see Siddons and co trying to be too realistic.

Back then we had very few players who could play well. Now we have so many of them and we still compare 2010 to 2005. how silly! Aren't we supposed to go forward?

Beamer
July 24, 2010, 01:11 PM
My mother told you dont compare your self to someone in Junior High, your older better and smarter.

It's sickening to see some here just bring up old scorecards and say look at the progress, look at the thrashings we suffered, look at the negative batting etc. As a means to justify Dr. Evil and colossal failures.

It's not because of him we got semi respectable losses, it's because he has better players & with the players he has, we would should be doing much better than we are right now

This guy is stuck on elementary teaching backwards, he only knows his way and cant adapt.

Performance has been unacceptable

I don't want to revisit the past either, but when the order of the day is constant looking back of supposed "winning mentality" back then, to " defeatist mentality" now, I believe some perspective has to be shed upon, just to bring back some sanity, if not for the sake of fairness. One way to do it is consistently remind folks how we used to perish within three days of a test match. We didn't win tests then. We don't win tests now. But, as a first step, we are stretching the game a whole lot more.

Don't be so hard on players from 2005 era. We had the all time best test BD batsman playing then in Bashar. All time greatest spinner in Rafiq. Mash was without a doubt much better than. Enam used to spin the ball, and Raj was one of the best ODI bowler. Pilot was easily one of the best wkt-batsman of that era. Straight swap JO and Imrul if you like. SN, NI < Tamim, but Ash was much better those days than now. Sakib wasn't there, but lots of you loved Rana. 2005 is not as weak as you suggest. Way to throw them under the bus..

Spitfire_x86
July 24, 2010, 01:42 PM
This is 2010 not 2005, Different standards and Higher levels of accountability
True. And the reason for that? You answered it yourself.

What amount of "much better"? What kind of things you expect from what set of players? Which top #8 ranked team doesn't have better players than us in head-to-head comparison for most positions? Our inability to utilize the slog overs properly has been a long time issue. Do you honestly expect the trio of Mushy/Riyad/Naeem to regularly score 80-90 runs in last 10 overs, when they have no prior record of doing that regularly at any form of cricket at any level? Name few replacements for them, and confidently say "they are capable of doing what is required of them" on a regular basis.

Beamer
July 24, 2010, 01:57 PM
Spitty

The batting PP was not in effect those days. To effectively play PP's, it would be better IMO to play top order players/openers at no. 6 -7, who probably has faced more PP situations during first 10 overs during their careers. Riyad, Mushy can't do it. Do we have other quality guys in leagues who open for their teams and can play PP batting? I think Alok needs to be thought of as well.

Spitfire_x86
July 24, 2010, 02:30 PM
Playing top order player/openers at #6-#7 may make sense if we keep on using the batting PP the way we are using now. Why do we take batting PP so late? Because we are not confident in the ability of the our lower-middle order to clear boundaries at will at the end of the innings. Ideally we would like to use up the batting PP before 45th over. Clean hitters at lower middle order will let us do it.

We need Symonds like players. Riyad/Naeem fits the type in theory, not in practice. If we had someone half as good as Symonds, the PP batting scenario would be totally different. Alok had potential to become that player. But let's face it, after that amazing century against India, he hardly almost nothing in the next 8-10 matches before leaving for ICL. Expecting him to turn out different than the other two of AAA, and asking for miracle is pretty much the same thing.

cricman
July 24, 2010, 03:06 PM
Regarding the PP, instead of continuing to stick w/ Riad/Mushy/Naeem, would it kill the Coach to try Shakib at 7 & try one of AAA at 8, Ash fileted Holland last year, did the Job vs Zim in 03 and saved us to losing to Canada in 07. Aftab has Cardiff and SL win, you want some a decent bowler try Alok.

reyme
July 24, 2010, 03:20 PM
Instead of putting the openers at 6-8, why not just take the batting PP during 11, 16, or 20th over? What about learning taking the PP based on match situation? Rotating or shuffling batting orders?

What about "preparing" couple of specialized "batsman" specially for batting PP? What about making adjustment based on match situation? What about creating some bench strength for position 1 through 8 batting slots? And may I ask "who" is supposed to do that?

It takes hard work, dedication, intelligence. When you have a coach who cares more for vacation, this will be the end result. You dont win championship by talking big or giving excuses. Most of you guys watch professional US football, basketball etc. I get perplexed how in the earth we dont see JS is letting this team down. Go ahead, give excuses all you want. Thats what you learned from your coach anyways. Go follow him It wont take you places, it will just let you down.

Beamer
July 24, 2010, 03:45 PM
Regarding the PP, instead of continuing to stick w/ Riad/Mushy/Naeem, would it kill the Coach to try Shakib at 7 & try one of AAA at 8, Ash fileted Holland last year, did the Job vs Zim in 03 and saved us to losing to Canada in 07. Aftab has Cardiff and SL win, you want some a decent bowler try Alok.

Those are very good ideas and I agree with it. Something has to change.

BANFAN
July 25, 2010, 03:40 AM

Don't be so hard on players from 2005 era. We had the all time best test BD batsman playing then in Bashar. All time greatest spinner in Rafiq. Mash was without a doubt much better than. Enam used to spin the ball, and Raj was one of the best ODI bowler. Pilot was easily one of the best wkt-batsman of that era. Straight swap JO and Imrul if you like. SN, NI < Tamim, but Ash was much better those days than now. Sakib wasn't there, but lots of you loved Rana. 2005 is not as weak as you suggest. Way to throw them under the bus..

Beamer, If I agree with you, may I ask you what went wrong that almost every player you point out was better in 2005 than 2010 ? Why they deteriorated under such a capable coach (IYO)? I'm not being sarcastic. I'm sure, despite all these you have put in some thoughts before you took to JS's side. What is the reason of deterioration in your opinion?

Imteaz
July 25, 2010, 09:25 AM
If the Cricket Board cannot be professional enough than in 2015, we will have to open another thread like this after losing another associate. May be series.

lamisa
July 25, 2010, 10:37 AM
the cycle will go on.we are progressing in a circle and at the end of the day we end up in the same place.it's the story of our nation in general so cricketerder dosh diye labh ki?

Eshen
July 25, 2010, 11:36 AM
Well said cricman.

Siddons fans obviously have no choice but trashing current bunch of players to defend their beloved Jaime :lol:

It does not take any cricket pundit to see current bunch of players are much better skilled than the 2005 bunch. It's only their mentality that's holding them back.

Beamer
July 25, 2010, 12:31 PM
Beamer, If I agree with you, may I ask you what went wrong that almost every player you point out was better in 2005 than 2010 ? Why they deteriorated under such a capable coach (IYO)? I'm not being sarcastic. I'm sure, despite all these you have put in some thoughts before you took to JS's side. What is the reason of deterioration in your opinion?

All I am saying that you just can't casually dismiss the players during 2005 as worse than 2010. Current batsmen are probably more talented and has a bigger upside since they are also lot younger. When they peak, I think they will surpass the individual records of players from that era, at least the batsmen will. Bashar, Rafiq and Pilot retired, so they can't be judged whether they have deteriorated or improved under the current coach. Mash is battling injury. Raj has deteriorated, but then again, no bowler has improved under Siddons. Why have I taken JS's side? Simple. The new core that he has been presented with since the retirements of older generation or ICL exodus, has continued to improve under him. If they didn't, I would have blamed him, and I am sure we would have witnessed a lot of turnover in terms of players. Instead, we have attained a reasonable new core of batsmen who are on their way to establishment. But, bowlers as a group under him has not improved, and whether its his fault or not, he has to take the blame.

Eshen
July 25, 2010, 02:37 PM
Straight swap JO and Imrul if you like. SN, NI < Tamim....
That's a ridiculous comparison right there. There should not be any comparison between SN and NI with Tamim, or between Imrul and JO.

There may be comparison between Imrul, SN, and NI, and that's Imrul > SN, NI. It was only a matter of time bowlers figure out what line and length to bowl to SN, and once they did SN's career was pretty much over (though it took our selectors and some of our fans here long time to realize). But despite being found out against short balls, Imrul is becoming more consistent with time.

JO was just a lucky fool that the ball missed edge of his bat so frequently.

Don't be so hard on players from 2005 era. We had the all time best test BD batsman playing then in Bashar.I still wonder how Bashar was so successful in Tests (in our standard). But then again he was almost useless in ODIs.

All time greatest spinner in Rafiq. Mash was without a doubt much better than.May be Rafique and Mash looked so great back then because we had none comparable to them back in the time. Shakib surpassed Rafique long ago. It's only a matter of time Shafiul and Rubel surpass Mash (Mash was never a big factor in Test cricket to begin with, at least not after his knee surgeries).

Enam used to spin the ball... I think Enam still spins the ball, but he was never really effective against any opposition except Zimbabwe.
Sakib wasn't there, but lots of you loved Rana.Again, there is/was no comparison between those two, Shakib is a way better batsman and bowler than Rana was. We loved Rana for his fighting spirit despite his limitations.

2005 is not as weak as you suggest. Way to throw them under the bus..Yes, it was a pretty weak team. But there were occasions when Mash brought us early wickets and Ash-Aftab played some stunning innings, and rest of the team came together to capitalize on those opportunities.

Problem with the current team is that despite some good individual performances here and there, the players just don't know how to play for wins as a team. But at individual levels, they are much better skilled than the 2005 bunch (and that's because they have much better upbringing then the 2005 bunch had, not because of great Siddons).

al-Sagar
July 25, 2010, 09:27 PM
we cannot just pick a player and plan that he will play in the PP. u cannot never plan when to take PP and make sure that the certain player will come to bat at that particular over. like u bring kapali at 6 and he has to come at 20th over after a bad start. or we have such a good start that he doesn't have to bat unti 45-46th over.

the best solution is all the batsman needs to practice how to take advantage of PP with their limited skills. and the team should be brave enough to take the PP when two batsman are set rather waiting for 45th. its the mentality that needs to be correct.

havent we seen mahmudullah playing aggressive shots, over the top shots in test cricket, when the fielding is like ODI PP, when Mahmudullah was eying his century and one the other ends tailenders were getting out ????

it clearly shows mahmudullah can do it. he also did it in the Tri-series in January. but after the century in test we have seen him becoming a different player mentally and now playing to stay not out.

M.H.Rubel
July 26, 2010, 03:25 AM
A bit off topic but i can not but post.In last few days i was searching cause of lack luster performance of our bowlers.Its very difficult to explain the cause of down hill performance but i am trying:
1.Quality of our fielding gone bad making the bowlers lusterlers
2.As we are progressing in cricket other teams are now studying our bowler and reading them well.
3.Bowlers are not used in right time of the game in right situation
4.Siddons is totally biased towards batsman,he knows little about bowling and have totally failed to nurture the bowlers.
5.Use of 4 bowler in ODI

I never believe that our bowling has gone bad but there is something going wrong and we need to fix up the problem.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

lamisa
July 26, 2010, 04:45 AM
^^^^our players(a lot of them) are good fielders but something is wrong with their body language.i think that they are a bit laid back while fielding

Beamer
July 26, 2010, 09:44 AM
Rayman

Comparison is valid in terms of the roles those openers played. JO was the anchor type while more was expected of the other opener, be it SN or NI. Simmilarly, Imrul plays that role with Tamim, who is expected to provide the bulk of the runs, and with good scoring rate. As player v player goes, yes, Imrul is much much better than JO. And, clearly Tamim is in a different league. Overall, yes, these two openers are much better than any pair from 2005 or even beyond.

I am not sure if Sakib has surpassed Rafiq in terms of bowling yet. He should one day. However, they both benefitted bowling in tandem. Sakib is missing the other good spinner from the other end.

I also hope Shafi and Rubel will surpass Mash one day. Those two are two big future. They need to be mentored. Siddons worked with new young batsmen when he came on board. The new pacers need simmilar guidance.

zman
July 26, 2010, 12:51 PM
Guys n gals, don't hit the panic button just yet...it's not the dreaded cancer, what we're going through is growing pains inexperienced test nations go through, it's part of the evolutionary process of being the newest member of the test club with ODI skills to acquiring test skills to adapting to different formats of the game.

It's been stated many a time yet the topic never gets old so I'll go ahead and recap my views on the state of our cricket team...

So when we won our test status we pretty much had a ODI unit forced to play different forms of the game. When we played tests, except for a rare occasion or two, our immaturity was exposed as soon as our batsmen stepped in the middle. The plan was more or less to approach the innings just like we did in any other ODI match because that's what we did best and the confidence to play cricket five straight days wasn't there yet as most players didn't really believe deep down inside they belonged in that elite club. Yet signs of gradual but steady improvement were there and last summer we caught a lucky break against WI albeit not their full strength side.

The importance of last summer's achievement became ever more apparent with every series we played home and abroad. It's noteworthy, since early 2009 the team has failed to force a test match well into the fifth day only two out of nine times.

Now this is no little achievement by our standards by any stretch of imagination. These days when you watch our batting you get the sense that many of our batsmen have started believing in their abilities as test batsmen although at the same time this new found test mindset is creating some confusion as to how to play in the shorter forms of the game; in other words, switching gears between different formats has suddenly become more challenging since in reality they're doing it for the first time. Previously there was only one gear---ODI mode.

So although the team hasn't done much off late in ODI/T20, the substantial amount of improvement in the test arena warrants giving JS a chance till the next world cup to see if he can pull something unexpected out of the hat like he did after the mass exodus of star players to ICL last time around.

revolver
July 27, 2010, 05:16 PM
Is it because we lack infrastructure or what. I am also tired of these although I also myself started watchin bangladeshes cricket since last world cup
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

tkandi4
July 27, 2010, 10:41 PM
While we all agree that our current bunch of players are much better skilled than the 2005 bunch, we have to remember that the skill level of top teams did not stay the same; in fact, it has gone up. Their improvement rate is faster than ours.

BANFAN
July 28, 2010, 02:23 AM
Guys n gals, don't hit the panic button just yet...it's not the dreaded cancer, what we're going through is growing pains inexperienced test nations go through, it's part of the evolutionary process of being the newest member of the test club with ODI skills to acquiring test skills to adapting to different formats of the game.

It's been stated many a time yet the topic never gets old so I'll go ahead and recap my views on the state of our cricket team...

So when we won our test status we pretty much had a ODI unit forced to play different forms of the game. When we played tests, except for a rare occasion or two, our immaturity was exposed as soon as our batsmen stepped in the middle. The plan was more or less to approach the innings just like we did in any other ODI match because that's what we did best and the confidence to play cricket five straight days wasn't there yet as most players didn't really believe deep down inside they belonged in that elite club. Yet signs of gradual but steady improvement were there and last summer we caught a lucky break against WI albeit not their full strength side.

The importance of last summer's achievement became ever more apparent with every series we played home and abroad. It's noteworthy, since early 2009 the team has failed to force a test match well into the fifth day only two out of nine times.

Now this is no little achievement by our standards by any stretch of imagination. These days when you watch our batting you get the sense that many of our batsmen have started believing in their abilities as test batsmen although at the same time this new found test mindset is creating some confusion as to how to play in the shorter forms of the game; in other words, switching gears between different formats has suddenly become more challenging since in reality they're doing it for the first time. Previously there was only one gear---ODI mode.

So although the team hasn't done much off late in ODI/T20, the substantial amount of improvement in the test arena warrants giving JS a chance till the next world cup to see if he can pull something unexpected out of the hat like he did after the mass exodus of star players to ICL last time around.

What substantial have we done in test? I mean do we have to consider it substantial. are the personal achievements due to him? How? I find all established players doing bad and new players doing good. And the players he didnt try to change are doing good as well.

Regarding the conclusion; are we playing tests in next world cup?

lamisa
July 28, 2010, 04:18 AM
While we all agree that our current bunch of players are much better skilled than the 2005 bunch, we have to remember that the skill level of top teams did not stay the same; in fact, it has gone up. Their improvement rate is faster than ours.

u have hit right on the point!we are improving but at a slower rate than other test playing nations.this we will never reach that level where we can win games against a strong test nation,we might just end up drawing matches

zman
July 28, 2010, 09:30 AM
What substantial have we done in test? I mean do we have to consider it substantial. are the personal achievements due to him? How? I find all established players doing bad and new players doing good. And the players he didnt try to change are doing good as well.

Regarding the conclusion; are we playing tests in next world cup?

Although no argument can be claimed as totally devoid of any subjectivity, there's little doubt about the claim that JS has played an important role in our batsmen's development from both technical and mental standpoints. Rather the main criticism about him is his coaching style that puts more emphasis on "improved batting averages" that lead to players' chasing "personal milestones" vs. "team goals". Way I see it, this style of coaching cannot hinder a team's progress at the test level until they've become good enough to beat other teams consistently.

If we're in position to recruit the Phil Jackson of cricket-whoever that may be-to coach our national team, I'd be all for it but unfortunately that's not an option atm. We couldn't even convince DW to stay on as coach and "see the fruits of the seeds he sowed, right?" for a few more years because clearly even he didn't believe it was going to happen anytime soon in the not too distant future.

Ideally I'd prefer to have a different coach for the shorter formats, a view I've explained in a different post (http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showpost.php?p=1191245&postcount=9) recently. If you're willing to concede ODI/T20 are more important in today's world than test matches, I'm willing to concede your argument. Otherwise, taking five matches out of the last seven well into the fifth day against very high quality oppositions, in addition to winning two against the windies, qualifies as a positive trend in my book until a new trend is established.

In Bangladesh hardly anything happens due to natural progression, I'm saying this from both historical knowledge of the situation and personal experience. Pockets of improvement are observed in certain sectors only because somebody decided to go out there and stake their claim. My concern is if JS is relieved of duty at this point, our recent progress in the test arena could take a hit just as it already happened once towards the end of Dav's tenure and the slide continued there after for a while.

As our quest to reach the thresh hold-where we can compete with the G8 on a nightly basis-continues, this is not the time to experiment with a new coach, unless of course he's a big time winner and already proven his mettle at the test level.

BANFAN
July 28, 2010, 10:46 AM
Although no argument can be claimed as totally devoid of any subjectivity, there's little doubt about the claim that JS has played an important role in our batsmen's development from both technical and mental standpoints. Rather the main criticism about him is his coaching style that puts more emphasis on "improved batting averages" that lead to players' chasing "personal milestones" vs. "team goals". Way I see it, this style of coaching cannot hinder a team's progress at the test level until they've become good enough to beat other teams consistently.

There is a lot of doubt. I mentioned it in short in my last post and in other threads with some more details. We can do it again if you answer to my point there.

Ideally I'd prefer to have a different coach for the shorter formats, a view I've explained in a different post recently. If you're willing to concede ODI/T20 are more important in today's world than test matches, I'm willing to concede your argument. Otherwise, taking five matches out of the last seven well into the fifth day against very high quality oppositions, in addition to winning two against the windies, qualifies as a positive trend in my book until a new trend is established.

Don't like to talk about windies. We only have taken it to 5th day, if the weather helps or opponents play very poorly. Hardly by merit of our game. That was the situation 5 years back as well. We need to be able to draw matches to claim improvement.

In Bangladesh hardly anything happens due to natural progression, I'm saying this from both historical knowledge of the situation and personal experience. Pockets of improvement are observed in certain sectors only because somebody decided to go out there and stake their claim. My concern is if JS is relieved of duty at this point, our recent progress in the test arena could take a hit just as it already happened once towards the end of Dav's tenure and the slide continued there after for a while.

More or less everything in Bangladesh happens due to natural progresion, even the conomy, do you think anyone planned the remitance and garments industry? Infact Govt is a road block. All natural my friend.

And If JS is relieved at this point, I think it will be better for us. Even playing the world cup without a coach is better for us, if we don't manage one. He is taking the graph downwards he cannot turn it around in next few months, that he couldnt do in last 32 months. But by removing him we controll the damage he is doing.

As our quest to reach the thresh hold-where we can compete with the G8 on a nightly basis-continues, this is not the time to experiment with a new coach, unless of course he's a big time winner and already proven his mettle at the test level.

Look at the other side, "We can experiment with removing a coach, if he is a big time loser" Experimenting before big ocassion is sometimes positive if what you have is yeilding negative result, like 'change' at the end of GWB became most popular & inevitable and the most expected thing.

zman
July 28, 2010, 01:40 PM
There is a lot of doubt. I mentioned it in short in my last post and in other threads with some more details. We can do it again if you answer to my point there.
I'm not going to paste tables containing statistical data to show that our batting has improved as I get the sense from your post that you already accept it. In my view, aside from fixing faulty techniques of certain players such as imrul and zunaed and helping improve their techniques against the short ball, JS has been successful at making the batsmen believe that their coach would have their back no matter what as long as they're (Tamim excluded) doing a good job occupying the crease for long periods, slowly developing a rhythm before they start playing their shots. This is the very concept that can be damaging in the shorter formats and yet work wonders in longer form.
That was the situation 5 years back as well. We need to be able to draw matches to claim improvement.
true, five years back we were capable of displaying such performances once in a while but far from establishing a trend of forcing test matches into the fifth day seven out of nine times even with zimbabwe in the fold.
More or less everything in Bangladesh happens due to natural progresion, even the conomy, do you think anyone planned the remitance and garments industry? Infact Govt is a road block. All natural my friend.
I mistakenly left out the term "positive" from my statement. This is just an analogy and probably not the best one, but contrary to Newton's first law, in our country once a highly motivated individual or group (or in some cases external force) sets into motion something positive, you need almost equally motivated people to follow/monitor the progress for the show to go on, otherwise things start going haywire.

On a different note, one thing that bothers me about all these Aussie coaches we keep getting, (McInnes, DW and now JS), although it's primarily BCCB's fault for not taking the initiative, for the sake of their own legacy and with a view to developing better players why don't the coaches ever bother to leverage their connections and influence on their cricket associations to get some of our players to play in their domestic leagues like Bulbul did once upon a time!!!

MatinSux
July 28, 2010, 01:43 PM
That's actually pretty true, even the hurricanes and coastal flooding are natural progression.

Habib
July 28, 2010, 02:32 PM
that's actually pretty true, even the hurricanes and coastal flooding are natural progression.

lmao.

Rifat
July 28, 2010, 05:12 PM
let's set a new standard:

Test:

Batting:
anything below 300 in an any innings is unacceptable!
300+

bowling: restrict oppostition below 350(given our current bowling situation setting a more realistic standard!)
everytime you let opposition score above 350, you have failed!
350-

ODI:

Batting:

nothing below 280 should be satisfactory
280+

bowling: always restrict opposition to 260
otherwise you will have to admit that someone from your bowling lineup bowled too many wayward deliveries!
260-

T20:
bowling:
always restrict opposition below 145, otherwise FAIL!

batting: always aim for 160 otherwise, you have failed to live up to the format!

it is about time we take T20 very seriously!!

Winning:

you lose, you FAIL, regardless of opposition, simple as that!

wasi90lkv1
July 29, 2010, 03:34 PM
let's set a new standard:

Test:

Batting:
anything below 300 in an any innings is unacceptable!
300+

bowling: restrict oppostition below 350(given our current bowling situation setting a more realistic standard!)
everytime you let opposition score above 350, you have failed!
350-

ODI:

Batting:

nothing below 280 should be satisfactory
280+

bowling: always restrict opposition to 260
otherwise you will have to admit that someone from your bowling lineup bowled too many wayward deliveries!
260-

T20:
bowling:
always restrict opposition below 145, otherwise FAIL!

batting: always aim for 160 otherwise, you have failed to live up to the format!

it is about time we take T20 very seriously!!

Winning:

you lose, you FAIL, regardless of opposition, simple as that!

280 may not be enough in a flat pitch. 280 may be more than enough in a bowling friendly pitch. our batsmen need to make sure they do not waste too many balls and rotate the strike as much as possible. imrul kayes and mahmudullah need to play for the team, not for their batting averages.