PDA

View Full Version : Cheating = Big Money!

godzilla
August 29, 2010, 12:54 AM
Below my comment is a very disturbing and discusting news. Pakistan might be the one who got caught with their hands in the cookie jar this time but what about our players? I mean our players don't get payed much either. Shakib once openly admited that he was approched by one like Mr. Majeed which he refused. This raises concerns in my mind. I mean if this guy knows so many players/stars/etc he probably have access to almost all the country players in the cricketing world. People would pay other teams/players to loose with us with welcoming hand because it will bring them BIG money since we kinda "SUCK"(let's be honest here). It can even go vise versa. All in all, no match is being played fairly if things like this are happening (assuming most test playing nations are involved)...

What do you guys think about all this?
P.S the thread was opened to talk about how Bangladesh cricket is going to be affected by this kind of situation, not pakistan cricket.
.................................................. ...........................................
**Update** ---> actual footage on how this money scandale works -_-' ... wow that's a lot of bills
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/924349/Cricket-in-the-dock-as-we-expose-betting-scandal-England-Pakistan-Test.html

Source
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/924793/We-made-830k-when-Pakistan-collapsed-in-the-Aussie-match.html

<<<According to News of the World, Majeed suggested that the SYDNEY test and Asia Cup defeat to Sri Lanka were also fixed:

Match-rigger boasts of syndicate's shady fortune

'We made £830k when Pakistan collapsed in the Aussie match'

CRICKET rigger Mazhar Majeed boasted that cheating in the sport is rife, with one controversial Test this year netting a shady betting syndicate more than £830,000.

His revelation that fixes go on in all forms of the game - Tests, One Dayers and Twenty20 - will horrify millions around the world who follow the sport.

And they will force cricket authorities to confront, once and for all, the match-fixing rumours that have dogged the noble game for years.

High on their list of investigations will be the Second Test between Australia and Pakistan in Sydney last January.

At the start of the fifth and final day Pakistan were in a supremely dominant position... but managed to lose dramatically.

Australia led by a mere 49 runs with just two wickets of their second innings remaining and with only one recognised batsman left.

In extraordinary scenes, Australia's last two batting partnerships managed 124 runs. That set Pakistan the relatively easy target of 176 runs to win. But they were bowled out for just 139 and lost.

There were widespread accusations of cheating at the time.

DOUBTS: Keeper Akmal dropped four catches
Pakistani coaches raised doubts about wicketkeeper Kamran Akmal, who dropped four catches and missed an easy run-out.

Three of the dropped catches were off the bat of Michael Hussey, who went on to score 134 not out.

But today we provide evidence from vile Majeed's own mouth.

To the astonishment of our undercover team, he provided detail of how the test WAS rigged and how crooked gamblers pocketed 1.3million dollars (£837,000) from it.

The part-time Muslim TV channel presenter opened up during a meeting in our car outside the Bombay Brasserie restaurant in Gloucester Road, west London, on August 18.

Explaining the scam he said: "Let me tell you the last test we did. It was the Second Test against Australia in Sydney. Australia had two more wickets left. They had a lead of ten runs, yeah. And Pakistan had all their wickets remaining.

"The odds for Pakistan to lose that match, for Australia to win that match, were I think 40-1. We let them get up to 150 then everyone lost their wickets. That one we made 1.3. But that's what I mean, you can get up to a million. Tests is where the biggest money is because those situations arise."

Majeed then continued to detail how he runs his slick operation.

Reporter: "Do we get information like there will be three no-balls in the third over?"

Majeed: "Of course, everything. And you get the indication to show if it's on or not. They'll change gloves at a certain point."

Reporter: "You will be relaying it."

Majeed: "Yeah, it all comes through me. We don't do results that often. The last one we did was against Sri Lanka in the Asia Cup which was about two months ago. And you get a script as well."

Reporter: "What does that mean, a script?"

Majeed: "This bowler is going to concede this many runs, this batsman will do this."

The spoils of Majeed's sordid trade have brought him a life of luxury in which he mixes with superstars of film, TV and sport. At the August 18 meeting, he boasted how he was involved in movies and name-dropped stars.

He claimed: "Our production company used to do all the generic TV adverts for Showtime Arabia. Showtime is the largest TV network in the world. We made a film in 2006 called Paradise Now which won an Oscar and Golden Globe. Went down really well."

During an earlier meeting at London's Hilton Park Lane, the slippery crook even name-dropped celebs he could invite to a launch party for our investigator's "business venture". Majeed boasted: "I know a lot of footballers and I know a lot of English actors as well."

He then added that he knew one of the most famous Hollywood actors "very well." The News of the World is not naming him but he is a global superstar.

CHEAT'S SPOILS: Majeed's £1.8m Surrey mansion
Majeed also bragged of knowing one of the world's top tennis players and claimed he had arranged for Salman Butt to be in pictures with pop stars and a world famous US rapper. It was during the Bombay Brasserie meeting that he revealed the Oval test being played at the time against England was fixed.

He said: "England, there's brackets. Like tomorrow (August 19) there is no bracket because the Indian market is not open. The third day (August 20) there's brackets.

"I give out the information the night before or morning. What's going to happen at the end of the fourth day. But we now are not going to do any results for the next two games because we want Salman Butt to be captain long term." Then he outlined the prices bookies pay him for his information.

"The results, like brackets, we charge anything between £50,000 and £80,000 pounds per bracket.

"And for results, Twenty20 is about £400,000. No-balls is easy. No-balls, you know, there's not that much money anyway, we know that.

"You can make a bet if you wanted no-balls you could probably get up to £10,000 each, yeah. That's simple.

"But in terms of results, depending on who we are playing, sometimes it can be £300,000. The max it can be is £450,000. You can speak to any bookie in India and they will tell you about this information and how much they'll pay. If you had the information and they knew that it was coming from the source they'd pay you that money themselves."

He said his prices were justified because he had to bribe senior players. Majeed explained: "If you've got six players, they're taking such a big risk, yeah."

In an earlier meeting, he had told of the players' desire to get in on match-fixing. "They will be up for it. I told you they will be up for making money. They need to make money." His name-dropping and endless bragging was interrupted by phone calls from Pakistan captain Butt and keeper Akmal. But two-faced Majeed wasted no time in having a go about his own players.

He said: "You'll find there's only a few players who are genuine and who are actually here for the love of the game and there's not many believe me. A lot of them are just looking for money, women and food.

"They make money and they need to make money. The problem is if they don't then they're not going to have enough money for the rest of their lives. In cricket there's not enough money.

"How much they're getting paid is a joke. I came from a football background and I can see the difference in football and cricket. It's huge."

Majeed, who runs a property company with a multi-million pound portfolio called Bluesky Developments, also admitted being party to ball tampering, another cheating ruse that has blighted cricket.

He shamlessly claimed: "I used to go out on the pitch to give the players their drinks. Whenever we couldn't get a wicket I'd have a lump of Vaseline on my hand. Shake their hand. They'd put it on one side of the ball and the ball would suddenly start in-swinging."

Today, after our astonishing revelations, Majeed's tampering with cricket has finally come to an end. >>>

deshprem
August 29, 2010, 12:58 AM
god forbid we are ever involved in such immoral acts.

beshideshi
August 29, 2010, 01:19 AM
fter reading this[and the cricinfo articles], I have lost will to watch any cricket games. It's a shame for international cricket that we still have not eradicated match[spot] fixing.
If I am to watch a sport that is fixed and staged, I would rather watch WWE or High school musical. Any international game not involving Bangladesh will not be able to attract me anymore.

ammark
August 29, 2010, 01:52 AM
"Muslim TV presenter". smh.

BANFAN
August 29, 2010, 01:56 AM
We are not yet that attractive targets. Let us get settled in the test areana, a few cases here and there, will always happen. No country has been out of it, cae ught or not.

Of course Pak is like, that's their only aim of playing cricket. What else can you expect from such a corrupt & indisciplined cricket board. BCb is ill organized, but not to that extent yet. When the Board is corrupt an un professional, what you can expect from the players.

BANFAN
August 29, 2010, 02:15 AM
It may also be complete lie. If that guy, 'Majeed' was genuinely earning money by doing it, why he would destroy his business by saying all these to a reporter voluntarily? Crazy... stuff to believe

One World
August 29, 2010, 02:21 AM
It may also be complete lie. If that guy, 'Majeed' was genuinely earning money by doing it, why he would destroy his business by saying all these to a reporter voluntarily? Crazy... stuff to believe

You completely missed the message, nothing new though.

Rabz
August 29, 2010, 02:26 AM
Ok, so pakistani players been involved in match fixing.
Whats so shocking about it???

reyme
August 29, 2010, 02:34 AM
He shamlessly claimed: "I used to go out on the pitch to give the players their drinks. Whenever we couldn't get a wicket I'd have a lump of Vaseline on my hand. Shake their hand. They'd put it on one side of the ball and the ball would suddenly start in-swinging.">>>

So thats how Pakistan stole the Multan test away from us? Vaseline! Now it make sense how come all of a suddent the ball started to swing so much after the lunch break and BD batting got folded dramatically in minutes! Some people are born cheaters.

I have a feeling some umpires are aslo involved in match fixing. Some of the outs they give or dont give are beyond imagination. Is Ashoka one of the superstars?

godzilla
August 29, 2010, 02:46 AM
So thats how Pakistan stole the Multan test away from us? Vaseline! Now it make sense how come all of a suddent the ball started to swing so much after the lunch break and BD batting got folded dramatically in minutes! Some people are born cheaters.

I have a feeling some umpires are aslo involved in match fixing. Some of the outs they give or dont give are beyond imagination. Is Ashoka one of the superstars?

I can't comment on the test match since I never witnessed it with my own eyes but for the umpires, why not? If players are considered as civilians and umpires are considered as cops in the cricket world, everything is possible. There are afterall corupt police man and surely corupt umpires exists aswell. Ashoka is most likely one -_-'...

Murad
August 29, 2010, 03:02 AM

I'm also thinking its a lie. Lets wait and see what comes out of the investigation.

BANFAN
August 29, 2010, 03:03 AM
You completely missed the message, nothing new though.

So what's the message?

You think it is so easy for a professional bookie to vomit out everything in details to an undercover journalist? Do you think the bookie thought he was ricky ponting?

There are many A$$holes who comeout to media and make such scams for fame. A professional will never do it this way. And the final msg of the Article says:

Today, after our astonishing revelations, Majeed's tampering with cricket has finally come to an end. >>>

How can even that be guaranteed by a journalist? You think a media disclosing a criminal act, ends everything? I'm sure you are more intelligent than me, why don't you help me? better give the message you got instead of assessing my comments, nothing new though ... ;)

And it may also be true, but can't conclude from this writeup/presentation, needs more evidence.

deshprem
August 29, 2010, 03:03 AM
the reporter guy was undercover.

Neel Here
August 29, 2010, 03:40 AM

because he didn't know it was a reporter, he thought he was a guy who was going to invest thousands of $$$ in his betting syndicate and he was giving him a 'marketing pitch' of sorts. sting operations like this are very elaborate and reporters go to enormous lengths to create a believable identity.
don't forget he did predict the huge no-ball from aamer.

reyme, interesting point you make, I don't know if asoka is crooked but ICC should definitely look into umpires as well, I think this is something that has never been focused upon.

_Rafi_
August 29, 2010, 04:00 AM
Some Indian and Pakistani bazighors are killing cricket. This worldcup is going to be a money making opportunity for Indian bazighors. Indian police need to stop these people immediately.

lamisa
August 29, 2010, 04:12 AM
chichichi,this is so shameful.i have very strong emotions for cricket but if it is so polluted...

Neel Here
August 29, 2010, 04:37 AM
Some Indian and Pakistani bazighors are killing cricket. This worldcup is going to be a money making opportunity for Indian bazighors. Indian police need to stop these people immediately.
the cricket betting syndicate is run by dubai, karachi and to a lesser extent mumbai underworld with agents in important locations like london, primarily because london has a big (legal) betting business. the satta bazars as it is called in India has come down a lot since their glory days of the 90's when mumbai and dubai were the twin capitals of betting and match fixing after the central police really went after them.
this is also the reason why BCCI was stopped by govt from playing at sharjah. right now the big movers (from what I know from media reports) are from dubai with smaller affliates in other countries like Ind, Eng and Pak. there are still independent smaller betting rackets in India but these are usually too small to indulge in fixing. unfortunately they tend to have smalltime politicians in their pocket so that police can't touch them.

FagunerAgun
August 29, 2010, 04:43 AM
the cricket betting syndicate is run by dubai, karachi and to a lesser extent mumbai underworld with agents in important locations like london, primarily because london has a big (legal) betting business. the satta bazars as it is called in India has come down a lot since their glory days of the 90's when mumbai and dubai were the twin capitals of betting and match fixing after the central police really went after them.
this is also the reason why BCCI was stopped by govt from playing at sharjah. right now the big movers (from what I know from media reports) are from dubai with smaller affliates in other countries like Ind, Eng and Pak. there are still independent smaller betting rackets in India but these are usually too small to indulge in fixing. unfortunately they tend to have smalltime politicians in their pocket so that police can't touch them.
More agreeable and acceptable with the boldy one.

BANFAN
August 29, 2010, 05:17 AM
because he didn't know it was a reporter, he thought he was a guy who was going to invest thousands of $$$ in his betting syndicate and he was giving him a 'marketing pitch' of sorts. sting operations like this are very elaborate and reporters go to enormous lengths to create a believable identity.
don't forget he did predict the huge no-ball from aamer.

reyme, interesting point you make, I don't know if asoka is crooked but ICC should definitely look into umpires as well, I think this is something that has never been focused upon.

I don't think a guy of his income (As the article says) & a ring master needs to go on retailing to every one, if that journalist could lure him (Bookie), he really needed to prove his ablity to invest. It is highly un realistic that the bookie will jump into convincing an unknown person like that, without checking his financial & related credibility for such business.

I don't like to assume the worst, although I have full confidence on the Pak players that they are capable of doing it. I'm not fully convinced with the entire setup of the story. There are quiet a few loose ends.

nizzle
August 29, 2010, 06:44 AM
people are starting to say its a scam as in all of this fixing story has been made up, to reduce the sympathy for the pakistan flood

Naimul_Hd
August 29, 2010, 07:04 AM
Pakistan is a rotten nation, i strongly believe, this flood is a punishment from Almighty Allah for their ill deeds from current leaders and past miscreants !

ps: this is my personal view. Nobody is entitled to agree !

_Rafi_
August 29, 2010, 07:11 AM

In UK betting is legal so it doesnt threat as much as Indian illegal betting market. India is the biggest betting market for cricket by a large margin and the whole market is illegal which is very concerning. Even in this scandal Azhar Mazeed claimed his clients are Indian. Match fixing wont be stopped unless these people are stopped. Indian govt centrally should take some steps to stop this for a better worldcup.

shakibrulz
August 29, 2010, 07:22 AM
Pakistan is a rotten nation, i strongly believe, this flood is a punishment from Almighty Allah for their ill deeds from current leaders and past miscreants !

Though I feel deeply for the victims, yeah, I think it's their Karma getting back at em.. And what's further shocking is these retards were playing for cheap bucks in Ramadan while the whole country was struck by a disaster.

Makes me puke, really.

shakibrulz
August 29, 2010, 07:23 AM
http://sports.in.msn.com/cricket/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3947687

Proud of our Shaks :notworthy:

Naimul_Hd
August 29, 2010, 07:36 AM
Though I feel deeply for the victims, yeah, I think it's their Karma getting back at em.. And what's further shocking is these retards were playing for cheap bucks in Ramadan while the whole country was struck by a disaster.

Makes me puke, really.

exactly. Couldnt agree more !

Naimul_Hd
August 29, 2010, 07:43 AM
http://sports.in.msn.com/cricket/article.aspx?cp-documentid=3947687

Proud of our Shaks :notworthy:

You must be brave enough to disclose this kind of news in public. Shakib could have avoided..but he opted for honest and wise decision. He has made a good gesture...now i want every players to follow him.

Now after this Pakistanis scandal of Spot Fixing, i am afraid, our players like Tamim, Shakib, Mashrafe may be the main target of bookies in coming WC 11 ! BCB and other officials should be careful now !!

Equinox
August 29, 2010, 07:45 AM
I don't think a guy of his income (As the article says) & a ring master needs to go on retailing to every one, if that journalist could lure him (Bookie), he really needed to prove his ablity to invest. It is highly un realistic that the bookie will jump into convincing an unknown person like that, without checking his financial & related credibility for such business.

I don't like to assume the worst, although I have full confidence on the Pak players that they are capable of doing it. I'm not fully convinced with the entire setup of the story. There are quiet a few loose ends.
I don't think you're getting it. Firstly there is very little benefit for Majeed himself. He is doing it for the players. Reports are now surfacing that Majeed started doing this on the request of the players themselves who wanted to make some "extra income." Majeed is a pretty successful businessman and his brother is the UK agent of a lot of the players.

And the reporter was asked for £10, 000 advance to prove his financial credentials which he provided. This sting operation has been going on for some time. The reporter obviously had to gain his trust before Majeed started discussing these details with him. NOTW decided to publish it now since they have finally got concrete evidence.

And you are forgetting that Scotland Yard has got involved and has arrested Majeed which must mean that there is some substance behind these allegations.

beshideshi
August 29, 2010, 08:11 AM

Makes me puke, really.

Never saw it this way. How embarrassing it must be for the millions of Pakistani fans. I feel for the Pakistani fans.
But I dont think the flood victims should be brought in here. Way too sensitive to talk about in a cricket forum imo, I just hope all of the affected people get back to their feet as soon as possible.

Zobair
August 29, 2010, 08:14 AM
Get a grip! Do you feel the same when flood and cyclones ravage our lanscapes frequently?...did you feel the same when the tsunami hit?...the flash floods in China that wiped out entire villages?...I know its human nature but lets not subscribe to guilt by association!

Neel Here
August 29, 2010, 08:31 AM
BANFAN, please read what Equinox wrote about how the reporter gained his trust, like I said stings like this are very elaborate and often costly affairs. you can be sure that the reporter didn't just appear one fine morning and majeed took him on a business tour, there would have been days, even weeks of gaining his trust. this is how sting operations are conducted all over the world.

In UK betting is legal so it doesnt threat as much as Indian illegal betting market. India is the biggest betting market for cricket by a large margin and the whole market is illegal which is very concerning. Even in this scandal Azhar Mazeed claimed his clients are Indian. Match fixing wont be stopped unless these people are stopped. Indian govt centrally should take some steps to stop this for a better worldcup.
Rafi bhai, what does legal or illegal got to do with it ? if tomorrow the govt decides that betting on sports is legal, all that illegal betting will turn into legal betting overnight, will that solve the problem from cricket's point of view ?

from cricket's POV the problem with betting is that people might try to be ensure a certain outcome and fix the matches (whether complete results or spot fixing), not whether betting on the match is legal or illegal.

please don't forget that majeed's work is mainly with the completely legal british gambling apparatus and he himself is a british national ?!

Naimul_Hd
August 29, 2010, 08:45 AM
Get a grip! Do you feel the same when flood and cyclones ravage our lanscapes frequently?...did you feel the same when the tsunami hit?...the flash floods in China that wiped out entire villages?...I know its human nature but lets not subscribe to guilt by association!

dnt get me wrong. I do also feel for poor flood pakistanis victims. But, there are certain times, when innocent people also get punished due to few black sheep !

In my earlier post, I wanted to mean their Government who are corrupted in all means. Because of them, pakistan has become a subject of comedy. I had no intention to insult any poor pakistani fans or people !!

PoorFan
August 29, 2010, 08:50 AM
Bringing flood, Ramadan, punishment from God and conspirecy behind everything are all Pak people very good at.

_Rafi_
August 29, 2010, 09:12 AM
Rafi bhai, what does legal or illegal got to do with it ? if tomorrow the govt decides that betting on sports is legal, all that illegal betting will turn into legal betting overnight, will that solve the problem from cricket's point of view ?[/B]

legal and illegal betting has different effect. If Indian or BD govt decide to make betting legal then no betting will be automatically authorised. They have to fulfill certain condition to get LICENSE. And no govt will provide license to Daud Ibrahim type person. Legalising will certainly bring control over things. E.g. A bank loan with interest is legal and govt has control over it. On the other hand a loan with interest from Mohajon is illegal, no control and always dangerous.
Thats how UK has better control over the betting than India. And i think the amount of bet placed in India is atleast 4-5 time greater than UK and other nations combined.

shakibrulz
August 29, 2010, 09:12 AM
You must be brave enough to disclose this kind of news in public. Shakib could have avoided..but he opted for honest and wise decision. He has made a good gesture...now i want every players to follow him.

Now after this Pakistanis scandal of Spot Fixing, i am afraid, our players like Tamim, Shakib, Mashrafe may be the main target of bookies in coming WC 11 ! BCB and other officials should be careful now !!

Exactly, that's why I respect him more. Almost every nation faces this problem, it's just that either no one has the balls to report it and set an example or they just fall for it. Now imagine, what are these pakistani players being payed compared to BD.

And it's highly unlikely that anyone in BD cricket team is gonna fall for this. Guys like Shakib set an example, unlike skipper Butt who dragged poor Aamer into this sh**hole.

shakibrulz
August 29, 2010, 09:18 AM
The only guy I feel for is Aamer. The guys 19, and the fricken captain ruined what would have been a great career. I really hope Aamer gets away with something less severe, and all other retards get life bans.

zman
August 29, 2010, 09:21 AM
How many free passes will pakistan get? I'm not gonna bother going into details of how many times and in how many ways they've disgraced world cricket in recent times but if ICC doesn't consider lifting their test status now, I don't ever again wanna hear about any ideas/meetings discussing the remotest possibility of stripping us off of ours.

_Rafi_
August 29, 2010, 09:27 AM
How many free passes will pakistan get? I'm not gonna bother going into details of how many times and in how many ways they've disgraced world cricket in recent times but if ICC doesn't consider lifting their test status now, I don't ever wanna hear about any ideas/meetings discussing the remotest possibility of stripping us off of ours.

why just test status? Why not banning them from all kind of cricket for 2-5 years. FIFA banned many country from football for less severe offences. ICC should act strictly.

zman
August 29, 2010, 09:33 AM
^Thank you...my point exactly...underperformance should be considered a lesser crime than cheating/disgracing a sport unless they think it's increasing the popularity of the sport in some twisted freakin way ???

shakibrulz
August 29, 2010, 09:43 AM
why just test status? Why not banning them from all kind of cricket for 2-5 years. FIFA banned many country from football for less severe offences. ICC should act strictly.

Exactly. I can't believe how many times people have demoralized BD despite their improvements questioning their test status. Well, atleast they play like men, and have a backbone. If ICC continues to be lenient to this disgraceful bunch, I'd rather stop watching cricket, TBH.

Neel Here
August 29, 2010, 09:46 AM
legal and illegal betting has different effect. If Indian or BD govt decide to make betting legal then no betting will be automatically authorised. They have to fulfill certain condition to get LICENSE. And no govt will provide license to Daud Ibrahim type person. Legalising will certainly bring control over things. E.g. A bank loan with interest is legal and govt has control over it. On the other hand a loan with interest from Mohajon is illegal, no control and always dangerous.
Thats how UK has better control over the betting than India.
I agree with you that illegal betting has its problems and betting in India is much more criminalised than in UK for that reason. however legalising betting won't stop criminals from putting bets, that is what majeed was doing in UK's legal betting system !
and putting bets is where the real money is if you can fix results ! get my point ?

And i think the amount of bet placed in India is atleast 4-5 time greater than UK and other nations combined. don't think that's quite correct, betting is quite big in UK and moreover the pound is a much stronger currency.

The only guy I feel for is Aamer. The guys 19, and the fricken captain ruined what would have been a great career. I really hope Aamer gets away with something less severe, and all other retards get life bans.
how do you know aamer wasn't a willing part of fixing ?
for all my admiration of his talent, something about the guy always put me off.

yaseer
August 29, 2010, 09:47 AM
Yes, no cheater should go unpunished. Pakistan and India are being accused of fixing for quite some time now. We must not forget IPL also. Lalit Modi being made the scapegoat of huge IPL corruption/fixing. Also champions league is coming, probably another corrupt tournament.

ICC must run a thorough investigation on all these.

Nafi
August 29, 2010, 09:48 AM
"Muslim TV presenter". smh.

Arent most of them interested in raising money for themselves.?

shakibrulz
August 29, 2010, 10:09 AM
Yes, no cheater should go unpunished. Pakistan and India are being accused of fixing for quite some time now. We must not forget IPL also. Lalit Modi being made the scapegoat of huge IPL corruption/fixing. Also champions league is coming, probably another corrupt tournament.

ICC must run a thorough investigation on all these.

What? Those are monitored by ICC anti corruption unit. What makes you think those are more corrupt than the international matches which recieves much lesser attn. compared to IPL/Champ league?

Lalit modi scapegoat? :lol: Let's stop framing conspiracy theories. We're talking about banning a nation which cheats blatantly in front of millions, and has a history of cheating for decades.

yaseer
August 29, 2010, 10:16 AM
Lalit modi scapegoat? :lol: Let's stop framing conspiracy theories. We're talking about banning a nation which cheats blatantly in front of millions, and has a history of cheating for decades.

I do not buy only Lalot Modi was behind IPL corruption. He was a big part but there are surely more people involved.

Yes, both Pakistan and India have the history of cheating for decades. Examples are banned cricketers like Salim Malik, Izaz Ahmed, Azharuddin (Present MP!!).

One World
August 29, 2010, 10:20 AM
Do not forget Quyuum scornfully confessed on 2006 that he was lenient to Wasim Akram while making his report.

Ajfar
August 29, 2010, 10:36 AM
Banfan bhai watch the video that was posted on the thread in the International Section. The reporter gave majeed 150,000 pound to prove that he actually had money. There is another video where the reporter gave 10,000 pound to him and he put it inside his jacket and than gave his jacket to one of the pak players. They got him doing that in the camera.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

kawsar
August 29, 2010, 11:31 AM
Looks like the world of Cricket has been caught by DAJJAL
When the truth of Dajjal come we will openly see how the entire world cheated with us, even those whom we trusted and elected to be our leader!!!
Wake up Muslims!!!

Neel Here
August 29, 2010, 11:42 AM
I do not buy only Lalot Modi was behind IPL corruption. He was a big part but there are surely more people involved.

Yes, both Pakistan and India have the history of cheating for decades. Examples are banned cricketers like Salim Malik, Izaz Ahmed, Azharuddin (Present MP!!).

looks like someone forgot south africa, west indies and australia.

do the names cronje, boje, gibbs, samuels, mark waugh, shane warne ring a bell ?

after the stables were cleaned around 2000 have you heard even a squeak about match fixing in India ??

nizzle
August 29, 2010, 12:10 PM
Looks like the world of Cricket has been caught by DAJJAL
When the truth of Dajjal come we will openly see how the entire world cheated with us, even those whom we trusted and elected to be our leader!!!
Wake up Muslims!!!

very true, infact its all happening as we speak, but i wont go into that as it is a cricket forum

roman
August 29, 2010, 04:07 PM
I just hope that this kind of match fixing stops permanently. ICC must take some serious actions. As a cricket lover i am really shocked and angry.

dolcevita
August 29, 2010, 05:51 PM
I just hope that this kind of match fixing stops permanently. ICC must take some serious actions. As a cricket lover i am really shocked and angry.

It will never stop , I only hope our boys are not involed
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

uss01
August 29, 2010, 06:59 PM
That's a ridicilous and immature statement. So those innocent poor people living in the flood affected areas have to suffer because of past miscreants? How would you feel if people said that about the flooding that happens in Bangladesh? The floods and natural disasters are a human issue not some Pakistani or Bangladeshi or Indian or Chinese Haitian issue.

shabbir
August 29, 2010, 10:56 PM
Wake-up call for Tiger
by priyo.news
The latest match-fixing scandal of Pakistan gripped the Bangladesh cricket team on Sunday as they resumed practice after two days off at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium.

The Tigers were also under the scanner just two months ago at the same Lord’s after Sakib al Hasan had confessed a day before their Test match against England that he was also approached by bookies.

The next few days after Sakib’s confession the perennially overenthusiastic British media were busy in digging deep to find any involvement of any Bangladeshi cricketers in any kind of scandal at any time.

Bangladesh’s matches against Canada and Kenya in the World Cup 2003 and involvement of cricketers with the renegade Indian Cricket League were of supreme interest to them, although at the end of the day no-one was able to unearth any scandal.

‘It is a disgrace,’ former captain Akram Khan told reporters about the Pakistan scandal. ‘Naturally this will have an impact on world cricket and Bangladesh will not be any different.’

‘As of Bangladesh we have taken this issue quite seriously and I am confident that our players are well aware of the consequences and so they won’t make any mistakes,’ said Akram, also a selector.

Senior cricketer Mohammad Ashraful said some of his team-mates had been approached by bookies regularly but they all had the courage to refuse the lure of this cheap money.

‘We are proud to play for our country,’ said Ashraful. ‘I am sure our players are matured enough to tackle this kind of situation.’

‘Sakib and Tamim have been offered earlier but hardly had any effect as they reported it to the board immediately and it only proved our loyalty to the country,’ said Ashraful.

-New Age

Ajfar
August 29, 2010, 11:06 PM
^ Good to know. I have faith in our players, but you still never know who's up to what. I hope they continue to stay true and faithful to the board and us fans.

MarufH
August 29, 2010, 11:12 PM
Another interesting read:

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/924767/ON-FRIDAY-night-I-sat-questioning-Stuart-Broad-about-his-maiden-Test-hundred-at-Lordrsquos-full-of-admiration-for-a-young-man-who-had-fulfilled-his-childhood-dream.html

beshideshi
August 29, 2010, 11:35 PM
I would take 100 losses in a row than a fixed victory any day. Proud of Tamim, Shakib, Ash, Mash etc.

Imtiazk
August 29, 2010, 11:40 PM
Majeed was not putting money in the British betting system. He was the middleman for Indian betting syndicates. Such large sums for a single no-ball would have been easily traced in an open legal system where information between betting firms are exchanged and prices are public knowledge. In fact, a big bet on a particular event will immediately bring down odds - everyone will notice.

For example, in Britain, betting trends are long established. If thousands of bets are placed for Rooney to score the first goal, at say, the 18th minute will not be a surprise. However, if large sums of money were placed on Jonny Evans to score the first goal - suspicion will arise.

In any event, in football, there are few discrete controllable events. Jonny Evans or Rooney alone cannot decide who scores the first goal. Who takes the penalty can be fixed - however, you will not get great odds in Rooney scoring first from a penalty as this is quite an expected event.

On the other hand, bowling a no-ball is a discrete controllable event. The bowler, as long he is bowling that particular over, can execute the act. Playing out a maiden over is also possible [ provided he does not get out , of course - so slightly more difficult ]. According to Mazhar, apparently, Salman Butt refused to play out a particular maiden over as he could not guarantee that in swinging conditions. After all, he could guarantee that there would not be an edge.

Imtiazk
August 29, 2010, 11:44 PM
Personally, I think, this is a losing battle. Certainly, with regard to Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Sri Lankan players. Possibly, Indian and West Indian too.

The first three because the lucre is far greater than they could themselves honestly earn. Of course, it is difficult for a Bangladeshi to "throw away" a match since losing is what is expected of them anyway !

The Indian situation is much different now, thanks to IPL. Here , the risks outweigh the reward. After all, why risk a ban ? Jadeja suffered hugely but that was before the IPL.

The West Indian player also has a earning deficit. But culturally, they are different from the sub continental set up. Also, the "bets" usually take place in matches the punter is familiar with and ultimately which he can follow "live".

However, "spot" fixing is on for almost anybody as it is virtually impossible to prove except in "stings" like the present one. A "spot" fix is far easier in cricket than in football, say. A no-ball is a discrete controllable event of the bowler. Contrast this to a throw-in in the 29th minute, for example. The ball has to be with you to begin with. Whose watch determines the time ? etc. etc

Zunaid
August 30, 2010, 12:01 AM
Majeed was not putting money in the British betting system. He was the middleman for Indian betting syndicates. Such large sums for a single no-ball would have been easily traced in an open legal system where information between betting firms are exchanged and prices are public knowledge. In fact, a big bet on a particular event will immediately bring down odds - everyone will notice..

You make an interesting point. Perhaps one way to excise this festering canker from Cricket's body might be to legalize gambling in our part of the world. Take it out of the back alleys and into the full glare of transparent transaction. This serves two purposes - bets that were destined to game the system through underhand shenanigans will be visible and will negate the intended impact. The second is that it will take this lucrative business from the control of the sub-continental mafia - in one fell swoop, you can take much of the profits away from the hands of people like Dawood et al.

Imtiazk
August 30, 2010, 12:29 AM
You make an interesting point. Perhaps one way to excise this festering canker from Cricket's body might be to legalize gambling in our part of the world. Take it out of the back alleys and into the full glare of transparent transaction. This serves two purposes - bets that were destined to game the system through underhand shenanigans will be visible and will negate the intended impact. The second is that it will take this lucrative business from the control of the sub-continental mafia - in one fell swoop, you can take much of the profits away from the hands of people like Dawood et al.

Betting was a socially unacceptable activity - even here. It is still illegal in large parts of the US. However, the reason it was legalised years ago was precisely to make it transparent. About ten years ago, even the betting tax was removed, so that the punter had no incentive to go underground.

Sooner or later, the same will happen to the drugs trade. Many people, including me, believe de-criminalising [ not legalising ] drugs is a solution of some sort. Addicts can have license to buy a rationed amount at controlled prices from official shops. They don'y have to mug or steal to buy at highly inflated prices from the black market. The Dons will sooner or later melt away.

Neel Here
August 30, 2010, 12:40 AM
Imtiaz, where did you get the news that he was putting money in Indian betting syndicates, AFAIK not once does he say that. the only time he mentions India is where he says that he sold information (like the no-ball business) to Indian gamblers.
so, is this actual information or just kite-flying on your part ? as far as I gathered his transactions were with the british gambling system. pray tell me why scotland yard are pursuing a defrauding the betting syndicates case otherwise ?

it's not as easy to detect wrong-doing as you are making it out to be. for one, the fixers will use more than once account with each putting down only a 'normal' amount at any one time and probably also changing the accounts over time.
secondly, any winnings by them will be accompanied by a large number of normal losses, the resulting distribution will be very close to a gaussian, certainly not enough deviation from normalcy to pin-point wrong-doing. one or two spikes in a distribution is considered quite normal. lastly, since there are an enormous number of bets on various subjects, only a handful of which are fixed, it is nearly impossible to recognize a pattern from it.

Dr.Z, I agree with you, the advantages of legalizing gambling outweighs the disadvantages.

Imtiazk
August 30, 2010, 12:47 AM
"as far as I gathered his transactions were with the british gambling system. pray tell me why scotland yard are pursuing a defrauding the betting syndicates case otherwise ?"

Where did you "gather" this information ? Can you find a single UK betting service which gives odds on no-balls ?

Illegal cricket betting is based in Dubai, Mumbai and Karachi [ in that order ].

Imtiazk
August 30, 2010, 12:51 AM
When in 1999, the Bangladesh v Pakistan match, the odds dropped from 33-1 to 4-1 in less than an hour before the match, it had been noticed !

Zunaid
August 30, 2010, 12:53 AM
^^
To add, Mazher himself said (according to the NOTW report) that there are no major activities when the "Indian market is not open."

ahnaf
August 30, 2010, 02:11 AM
Check todays pa...

_Rafi_
August 30, 2010, 02:16 AM
How much actually worth british betting market for cricket? Anyone knows the amount?

BANFAN
August 30, 2010, 02:42 AM

???

You mean, we had these punishments for our ill deeds too?

_Rafi_
August 30, 2010, 03:30 AM
And i think the amount of bet placed in India is atleast 4-5 times greater than UK and other nations combined.

don't think that's quite correct, betting is quite big in UK and moreover the pound is a much stronger currency
Cricket and the lure of betting
Ashok Malik (http://www.cricinfo.com/match-fixing-anniversary/content/story/466686.html)
How large is this bookie-by-phone market? If an IPL match on Betfair gets about £12 to 15 million per match, it would be a safe expectation that the unofficial, cash-only betting economy is much larger. "I would estimate it is 20-25 times as large," says a betting specialist, "maybe even 50 times."

lamisa
August 30, 2010, 04:20 AM
this is truly so sad.i really like amir,he's a fantastic bowler and i am also a huge supporter of pakistan team(not so sure if i am still so anymore).i don't think it will happen to our players,they maybe stupid,lazy and whatever but i am sure that they will not stoop so low.shakib,tamim haven't as per what ash said and i don't think mash will ever,so bd cricket is safe for the time being i guess

Imtiazk
August 30, 2010, 04:48 AM
Please do not be so complacent ! The lure of the lucre knows no boundaries. There is no such thing as us and them. There have been occasions when even Bangladesh was playing, when I have once in a while suspected something funny was going on !

shakibrulz
August 30, 2010, 07:08 AM
Please do not be so complacent ! The lure of the lucre knows no boundaries. There is no such thing as us and them. There have been occasions when even Bangladesh was playing, when I have once in a while suspected something funny was going on !

Wait, now lets not be over-suspicious and take things way OTT.

Pak cricket was is and will be rotten (as their country is, sadly). Though BD is much more poorer than Pak, and faces issues like corruption, I think odds of such an incident happening here is much less. Their so called 'legends' have a tainted past, from Wasim to Afridi. While you guys have Rafique and Shakib setting examples, and can be proud of that. :)

ahnaf
August 30, 2010, 07:45 AM
Wait, now lets not be over-suspicious and take things way OTT.

Pak cricket was is and will be rotten (as their country is, sadly). Though BD is much more poorer than Pak, and faces issues like corruption, I think odds of such an incident happening here is much less. Their so called 'legends' have a tainted past, from Wasim to Afridi. While you guys have Rafique and Shakib setting examples, and can be proud of that. :)

agreed...

yaseer
August 30, 2010, 08:27 AM
^^
To add, Mazher himself said (according to the NOTW report) that there are no major activities when the "Indian market is not open."

Right you are boss, Mazhar said that there is no betting activity when Indian market is closed!!

Indian market is the root of corruption in cricket as it seems. And very well supported and implemented by Pakistan. Neighbors working together in black market :)

As India is also involved, it is no surprise that ICC is reluctant to take strong action. After all they are the source of money.

Hope this time they will not get away, ICC will take action and cricket will be clean from this corruption.

roman
August 30, 2010, 09:50 AM
I think Bob Woolmer case should be reopened. He was most likely assassinated because he came to know about several player's match fixing involvement. ( I could be wrong) And I would like to disagree with the statement that BD players are not going to be involved with match fixing. Money talks man...If they are offered with that much money anything can happen. Remember ICL? Did anyone think that BD players will choose that stupid ICL team over Bangladesh national team? but it happened didnt it???

_Rafi_
August 30, 2010, 11:07 AM
Right you are boss, Mazhar said that there is no betting activity when Indian market is closed!!

Indian market is the root of corruption in cricket as it seems. And very well supported and implemented by Pakistan. Neighbors working together in black market :)

As India is also involved, it is no surprise that ICC is reluctant to take strong action. After all they are the source of money.

Hope this time they will not get away, ICC will take action and cricket will be clean from this corruption.

one thing I agree with L. Modi that betting should be legalised in India. A legal market will cause lesser harm than an illegal market. But ICC could do nothing on this as the matter depends on the approval of Indian govt. And I dont think they will approve it against public sentiment.

shakibrulz
August 30, 2010, 11:59 AM

LMAO ICC is reluctant to take action coz India is involved? Dude this is illegal gambling we're talking about. Neither India or BCCI benefit from that.

And why the heck should ICC care, their job is not to ensure that illegal betting doesn't take place, that's the duty of the respective nation to carry out jurisdiction effectively.

Please think a while before framing conspiracy theories here.

shakibrulz
August 30, 2010, 12:02 PM
one thing I agree with L. Modi that betting should be legalised in India. A legal market will cause lesser harm than an illegal market. But ICC could do nothing on this as the matter depends on the approval of Indian govt. And I dont think they will approve it against public sentiment.

It's good in a way, but in a large country like ours, it won't be easy to effectively monitor such stuff as the British are doing. It's a double edged sword, in a way.

Imtiazk
August 30, 2010, 04:02 PM
Legalising gambling is a political hot potato ! Just like de-criminalising drugs [ at least, soft drugs ]. Most informed circles would agree including the police but very few politicians dare act on this. Gambling is sin, you see. Illegal gambling ? Well, you can't see it. Just pretend it does not exist.

But it festers mob like culture. When young people get trapped with minor things like "spot betting" [ after all, you are not selling out your country, are you ? ], it soon ratchets up. The mob has a hold on you. After all, you have already done something illegal and you can be subject to blackmail. If need be, a few phone calls to family members can also be made just to remind you what you are supposed to do ! These are dangerous people. Better not to get involved in the first place.

Neel Here
August 30, 2010, 10:34 PM
Cricket and the lure of betting
Ashok Malik (http://www.cricinfo.com/match-fixing-anniversary/content/story/466686.html)

he claims 50 times of online betting at ONE betting website (out of probably hundreds of such websites), not 4-5 times of the rest of the world combined as you said. it says nothing about UK betting.
not to mention I've serious doubts about the figure itself, which is just the opinion of an unnamed source, the journalist may even have cooked that up. the value his source tells him is 5000-6000 crores per match in INR ! that's an astonishing number !
could be true but I still find this hard to believe.

----------------------

"as far as I gathered his transactions were with the british gambling system. pray tell me why scotland yard are pursuing a defrauding the betting syndicates case otherwise ?"

Where did you "gather" this information ? Can you find a single UK betting service which gives odds on no-balls ?

Illegal cricket betting is based in Dubai, Mumbai and Karachi [ in that order ].

well I "gathered" it from the papers, if you read them carefully in stead of making up things you might have gathered it too.
on what charge is mazeed arrested, pray tell me ? do you know ?
it is "“on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud bookmakers.”"
I guess scotland yard is pursuing the case because majeed defreauded illegal Indian bookmakers is it, is that your hypothesis ? /:)

I do not know of any UK bookmakers that give odds on no-balls because I do not bet, but please explain to me what majeed means by
"England, there's brackets. Like tomorrow (August 19) there is no bracket because the Indian market is not open. The third day (August 20) there's brackets.

"I give out the information the night before or morning. What's going to happen at the end of the fourth day. But we now are not going to do any results for the next two games because we want Salman Butt to be captain long term." Then he outlined the prices bookies pay him for his information.

"The results, like brackets, we charge anything between £50,000 and £80,000 pounds per bracket.
now brackets mean a group of 10 overs, clearly legal UK bookies won't be open or closed depending on Indian markets, so what does he mean by England, there's brackets, that there is illegal gambling in UK as well, perhaps well connected to the sub-continent rings ?

^^
and throughout the report he says again and again that the activity is selling information to bookies, including Indian bookies, not once does he say or indicate he is putting money there. I don't how you are coming to this conclusion.
-----------------------

:doh: oh dear, why would ICC or BCCI care for illegal betting syndicates ? how does it profit them ?
do you even bother to think before writing something ? I think my brain will evaporate if I read this again.

Neel Here
August 30, 2010, 10:36 PM
Legalising gambling is a political hot potato ! Just like de-criminalising drugs [ at least, soft drugs ]. Most informed circles would agree including the police but very few politicians dare act on this. Gambling is sin, you see. Illegal gambling ? Well, you can't see it. Just pretend it does not exist.

But it festers mob like culture. When young people get trapped with minor things like "spot betting" [ after all, you are not selling out your country, are you ? ], it soon ratchets up. The mob has a hold on you. After all, you have already done something illegal and you can be subject to blackmail. If need be, a few phone calls to family members can also be made just to remind you what you are supposed to do ! These are dangerous people. Better not to get involved in the first place.

excellent post, I hope the politicians and people alike show some maturity and legalise this circus, a lot (but not all) of our problems will go away.

shakibrulz
September 18, 2010, 01:29 AM
The ICC has launched an investigation into the third ODI between England and Pakistan at The Oval after it received information before the game began alleging that bookies were aware of patterns in the Pakistan innings.

The Sun newspaper reported that it had passed on information to the ICC regarding scoring patterns in Pakistan's innings in two overs during Friday's game. The ICC said in a release that it believed " a full investigation is warranted".

"A source informed The Sun newspaper that a certain scoring pattern would emerge during certain stages of the match and, broadly speaking, that information appeared to be correct," Haroon Lorgat, the ICC chief executive, said. "We therefore feel it is incumbent upon us to launch a full enquiry into this particular game, although it is worth pointing out at this stage that we are not stating as fact that anything untoward has occurred. Only in the fullness of the investigation can that be established."

The development came on the same day that Scotland Yard passed on to prosecutors an initial file of evidence on claims that Pakistan cricketers were involved in spot-fixing. It said evidence that there was a conspiracy to defraud bookmakers will be considered by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).

Three Pakistan players - Salman Butt, Mohammad Amir and Mohammad Asif - remain suspended by the ICC for their alleged role in the spot-fixing scandal that engulfed the Lord's Test between Pakistan and England. The players, however, have filed appeals against the suspension.

http://www.cricinfo.com/england-v-pakistan-2010/content/current/story/477641.html

Oh dear

Rabz
September 18, 2010, 02:04 AM
Just ban them for good.
Seriously.