PDA

View Full Version : Bangladeshis approached by bookies

Equinox
September 1, 2010, 05:53 AM
Bangladesh's cricket board said Wednesday several senior players had been approached by bookmakers ahead of a Test series with India earlier this year.

Vice-captain Shakib Al Hasan and opening batsman Tamim Iqbal were approached ahead of the two Test series against India in January, which the home side lost 2-0, an official said.

Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) spokesman Jalal Yunus said the incidents were immediately reported to the International Cricket Council's anti-corruption unit, in line with procedures.

The BCB is now organising an "orientation course" for national players to educate them about the dangers of match-fixing and how to avoid bookmakers and shady agents, Yunus said.

"We are taking up a orientation course for cricketers," Yunus said. "They will learn how to detect bookies under the guise of cricket agents.

"They should learn how match-fixing can jeopardise their career and shame the nation," he said.

The move came after global cricket was plunged into a crisis at the weekend as British detectives said they were investigating seven Pakistani players on charges of spot-fixing.

Apart from the orientation course, the BCB will impose more curbs on cricketers in all future tours, Yunus said, adding the players would be told to avoid strangers and report every phone call they receive from unknown persons.

Former Bangladesh captain Mohammad Ashraful told a local daily that he had also been approached by bookmakers during a foreign tour.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news...901-14ngq.html

Habib
September 1, 2010, 06:10 AM
There are a lot of discussions on it in other threads. so it wasn’t needed to open this thread.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

lamisa
September 1, 2010, 06:19 AM
from what i read,ash,mash,shakib and tamim have been approached...

Roni_uk
September 1, 2010, 06:50 AM
to do what? to lose the match against the opponent.. lol?

_Rafi_
September 1, 2010, 07:37 AM
When I first heard Shakib was approached by a bookie my initial thought was who wanted him to be underperformed as BD would lost the match anyway. But now it makes sense that he would be approached for Spot Fixing. I thank Shakib again that he refused it.

Baundule
September 1, 2010, 07:38 AM
It is not always winning or losing a match, they can bet on many little things.

Tintin
September 1, 2010, 07:51 AM
1. It feels comfortable in a strange sort of way to know that there are bookies everywhere.

2. Why are they approaching big names ? For spot-fixing, isn't it easier and cheaper to catch low profile players ?

nahaz
September 1, 2010, 08:10 AM
2. Why are they approaching big names ? For spot-fixing, isn't it easier and cheaper to catch low profile players ?

Think the odds are better on high-profile players..you also wouldn't epect them to bowl certain stupid deliveries as much such as wides and no-balls, especially if it is a decent spinner..razzak does bowl no-balls a lot...

I am starting to think that one or two players may have been tempted and maybe even obliged..we'd never know

_Rafi_
September 1, 2010, 08:55 AM
Which players of BD have more chance to involve? Tamim/Ash/Raj/Mash/Shakib/Mushy/Riyad/others? Would be a disaster for BD!

beshideshi
September 1, 2010, 09:33 AM
Spot fixing is something that will be near impossible to eradicate. I mean, if 1.Mash[captain] thinks that wickets are not falling and it might be worth giving the ball to Ashraful. What would the skeptics say? Oh that was definitely fixed. 2. Razzak bowls a wide down the leg side that goes for 4, was that intentional or just an honest mistake? No one but Razzak can say.
ICC will have to go to the very root of the problem and I doubt this will ever go away, there will always be some amount of spot fixing going on. Do you want to block the players contact with others? How long will you do that for? A month before the game?Two months before the game? you can't always keep the players isolated, they will contact with others and likely with bookies. This spot fixing issue is like a stab to the backbone of cricket.

Equinox
September 1, 2010, 09:36 AM
I think ICC should carry out sting operations NOTW style. It would keep the players on their toes.

bujhee kom
September 1, 2010, 09:40 AM
Hahahahaha....his is very childish to the least!

All bookies in world and team Bangladesh have same goal, naturaly...they all want BD to win, which is a rare and a blue moon thing. It's never like, "ooohhhhh shhhss, hello I am a sketchy fishy sub-continental bookie my name is Hamid/Bob/Pathan/Singh/Khan.....oohhoooh Mira, Mira... look here BD I will give a lot of candys/dolores if you lose....give it a break! Maybe they set up bet for BD like would BD last full 30 overs? Would BD's total cross 50 toady? Would BD be able to hold on to a catch today? Would Bd's batting face a typical Morok as usual in any minute? Can Lotus the BD cricket Csar, can he screw BD cricket in any new way today? - currently betting $5k on that!

Ajfar
September 1, 2010, 10:18 AM
I think ICC should carry out sting operations NOTW style. It would keep the players on their toes.

I don't know how well NOTW covered their tracks but after this sort of incidents bookies will be on their toes. They will do some heavy amount of research before sharing valuable information with outsiders. I'm sure there are 100 of other people linked to Majhar Majeed but I doubt they will be able to bring everyone down. But nonetheless its a good start.

Rabz
September 1, 2010, 11:46 AM
..and the Bangladeshis gave them cookies and told 'em to f*** off.

simon
September 1, 2010, 07:01 PM
bhalo offer haat chara korlo bokaguli,ekhon nijerai nijeder autobiography publish korbe.

Ajfar
September 1, 2010, 07:32 PM
I think BC should do some investigation on its own. I say we send in BK bhai undercover.

bdtiger
September 1, 2010, 08:08 PM
Loosing to Canada in WC 2003 is highly questionable. May be that's what our standard is. Coz we loose to Ireland, Kenya, Netherlands etc.

BANFAN
September 2, 2010, 02:32 AM
"Orientation Course" !!

Nonsense, simply say them to not to be involved and report any approach.

What's their to orient? May be they will provide a list of prospective agents/bookies? The mechanism of Book making and How ICC is trying to trace them etc etc... That might faciititate some guys for getting involved.

Has their been ever a situation that, a players has been involved, been paid and didn't understand what he was doing?

IanW
September 3, 2010, 11:53 AM
It's a back-handed compliment, as you do not pay a crap team to lose - they'll do it anyway.

PS Goodonyas for doing the right thing, and reporting the approach

bujhee kom
September 3, 2010, 01:10 PM
It's a back-handed compliment, as you do not pay a crap team to lose - they'll do it anyway.

PS Goodonyas for doing the right thing, and reporting the approach

Right on!