PDA

View Full Version : The Mushtaq Ahmed award for best overseas player is...

Akib
September 19, 2010, 11:27 PM
The Mushtaq Ahmed award for best overseas player
A few contenders here. Chris Rogers and Mark Cosgrove both enjoyed excellent seasons, with Cosgrove coming within an ace of leading Glamorgan to promotion. Murali Kartik played a big role at Somerset, too. No-one in the country took so many five-wicket hauls (five), while his economy rate ensured his captain of control in the field. The club have had many more glamorous overseas stars - Richards and Garner; Gavaskar and Chapple; Crowe and Waugh; Ponting and Langer - but none have taken the club closer to that elusive Championship title. Warwickshire's Imran Tahir is also worth a mention. He claimed 56 first-class wickets, as well as playing a leading role as Warwickshire reached the quarter-finals of the FP t20 and the final of the CB40. His five wickets in the final were also crucial.

But the winner is Shakib Al Hasan. The first Bangladeshi overseas player in the county game, he defied some slow wickets and produced match-winning bowling performances against Surrey, Gloucestershire and Middlesex.The figures aren't outstanding - a batting average of 25 and a bowling average of 22 - but it is surely significant that Worcestershire won four of the eight first-class games in which he played and, after a horrid losing run, enjoyed four List A victories out of five involving him. He was also refreshingly low maintenance and excellent value for money.
Source: http://www.cricinfo.com/countycricket2010/content/story/477862.html

Good to see Shakib recognized :D. Great job by him, though I fail to see how a bowling average of 22 is not outstanding.

bujhee kom
September 19, 2010, 11:49 PM
Daniillkkaa! Go Shakibuley!!!

BANFAN
September 20, 2010, 12:00 AM
WOW, Congrats Saki and Thanks Akib for Sharing.

Any Idea, Why the worst player award is named; Shoaib Akhtar Award ? ;)

Zeeshan
September 20, 2010, 12:15 AM
Appreciate the dissemination. But aren't we getting a tad little hyped up about some county awards?

BANFAN
September 20, 2010, 01:21 AM
Appreciate the dissemination. But aren't we getting a tad little hyped up about some county awards?

I guess so.

It doesn't actually look like a award, just a column.

Anyway, as the first Bangladeshi in county, every piece of appreciation helps us/our players in many ways. if we would have 10-15 playing there, County experience would help our players to mature a lot, since we don't have a strong cricketing culture.

Zunaid
September 20, 2010, 01:24 AM
No one's hyping - just highlighting a very positive mention.

_Rafi_
September 20, 2010, 02:21 AM
Congrats Shakib!

Rabz
September 20, 2010, 04:40 AM
He is the Pioneer, the One who opened the door for the many to follow.
A lot depended on Shakib's performance to determine how the Bangladeshi cricketers would be
perceived in the country cricket and he breaks all shackles.

Its only a matter of time for Tamim to get a county contract next year and in the coming years I'd hope more and more of our players enters the hallowed turf of domestic cricket and brightens the name of our country.

Congrats Shakib.

lamisa
September 20, 2010, 04:52 AM
^^^wow,this is so nice to hear!i read in PA today that worc may hire tamim for the next season of t20.and congratz to shakib for the hundred and something time!

MohammedC
September 20, 2010, 05:04 AM
George Dobell is well recognised writer in county circuit.

Well done Shakib.

riankhan
September 20, 2010, 05:35 AM
Never too late
Just posted it on Worc fan forum
http://wcccfansforum.forumotion.net/players-f5/shakib-al-hasan-t1301-30.htm
Thanks Akib bro!

jisaan
September 20, 2010, 08:43 AM
He is the Pioneer, the One who opened the door for the many to follow.
A lot depended on Shakib's performance to determine how the Bangladeshi cricketers would be
perceived in the country cricket and he breaks all shackles.

Its only a matter of time for Tamim to get a county contract next year and in the coming years I'd hope more and more of our players enters the hallowed turf of domestic cricket and brightens the name of our country.

Congrats Shakib.

well said.
Tamim should be next
if his fielding had been a little better, Zunaid could've been in line too.

roman
September 20, 2010, 08:53 AM
Nice to know many other county teams are getting interested to get Bangladeshi players. Personally I belive that county is the best place in the world to learn cricket.If more BD players get to play there, I am sure the standard of our cricket will go up.
Thank You Shakib for your wonderful performance on your debut...

auntu
September 20, 2010, 01:31 PM
[বাংলা]সাকিবকে অভিনন্দন। [/বাংলা]

simon
September 20, 2010, 06:02 PM
well done Sakib.
I think there r some people who succeed & their success is recognized,Sakib is lucky to be one of them.
Tamim cldn't even make it to the short list,cause he is not one of them.