PDA

View Full Version : MCC makes eight law changes in cricket

Miraz
September 30, 2010, 10:22 AM
MCC announces eight law changes

Date released: 30 September 2010
MCC has introduced eight amendments or clarifications to the Laws of Cricket which come into effect today.
The changes are aimed at providing more fairness to both sides and reducing the amount of playing time lost.

Video: MCC Head of Cricket John Stephenson explains the new laws (below)

Bad light

http://www.lords.org/data/images/width150/bowden-da-silva-light-x300-39924.jpg
Umpires will no longer offer the light Umpires will now be the sole arbiters of whether play should continue in poor light. The batting side will no longer have any say in the decision, which was often made for tactical reasons.
The toss

At least one umpire will also now be required to attend the toss and the winning captain must notify his counterpart of his decision to bat or field immediately.
Previously, captains could wait until ten minutes before the start of the game, but in some cases this was being exploited to the losing side’s disadvantage - and therefore contravened the Spirit of Cricket (http://www.lords.org/laws-and-spirit/spirit/).
Increased fairness

Other Law changes aimed at achieving more fairness between the teams include:

giving batsmen who damage the pitch just one warning before penalty runs are issued, rather than two
preventing bowlers from delivering the ball with their front foot having crossed an imaginary line between the middle stumps (e.g. declaring they were bowling over the wicket but releasing the ball as if they were bowling round the wicket)
and forbidding bowlers bowling the ball into the ground to a team mate, which damages the ball and may waste time.

Practice beyond the boundaries

Fielders will no longer be able to practice with a twelfth man or coach outside the boundary during a game, as this affords them an opportunity to prepare that is not granted to the batsmen in the middle.
Fielding athleticism

http://www.lords.org/data/images/width200/lords-under-floodlightsx400-40430.jpg
The new laws keep pace with the rate of change in cricket Twenty20 cricket has contributed to increasingly athletic fielding standards, and MCC strives to ensure the Laws deal with the challenges posed by the modern game.
Now, a fielder’s first contact with the ball must be within the boundary or, if his is airborne, when his last contact with the ground was within the field of play. He may subsequently step outside the rope, but a four or six will be scored if he makes further contact with the ball whilst grounded outside the boundary.
Rare dismissals

The two final Law changes deal with very rare forms of dismissal. Law 28.1 has been amended so, if a batsman’s bat breaks in the act of playing a shot and the broken part of the bat hits the stumps, he will now be out.
A new sub-section has been added to Law 29.1 to protect a batsman who is well in his ground - for example a sprinting batsman who has run past his stumps - but whose feet and bat happen to be in the air as the bails are removed. He will now be deemed to be in.

(http://www.lords.org/latest-news/news-archive/mcc-announces-eight-law-changes,1735,NS.html%29)
Link (http://www.lords.org/latest-news/news-archive/mcc-announces-eight-law-changes,1735,NS.html%29)

Visit the link to see a self explanatory video.

Habib
September 30, 2010, 10:28 AM
^Some well thought out laws by MCC. Like it.

roman
September 30, 2010, 10:44 AM
good thinking...

RazabQ
September 30, 2010, 01:24 PM
All very nice and good but umpires are inconsistent about their light reading it seems. Against BD it seemed England got "favorable" light readings from the umpire.

As for the grounded then not out modification, I guess that's a fair one but now the world will be deprived of quite a few funny Murali run-outs :)

Murad
September 30, 2010, 01:39 PM
the Law change that will have most impact on the players themselves is that bowlers are forbidden from bowling the ball into the ground to a team-mate as a warming because MCC says this damages the ball and wastes time.

I like this one. Australia and England er ebar khobor ache. Orai eta beshi kore.

Murad
September 30, 2010, 01:41 PM
preventing bowlers from delivering the ball with their front foot having crossed an imaginary line between the middle stumps (e.g. declaring they were bowling over the wicket but releasing the ball as if they were bowling round the wicket)

This will affect most of the spinners, especially Murali, Razzak and Harbhajan.

a fielder’s first contact with the ball must be within the boundary or, if his is airborne, when his last contact with the ground was within the field of play. He may subsequently step outside the rope, but a four or six will be scored if he makes further contact with the ball whilst grounded outside the boundary.

Now this is going to be very tough for the fielders.

sir john
September 30, 2010, 02:15 PM
bad light idea is good.

Nafi
September 30, 2010, 03:08 PM
and forbidding bowlers bowling the ball into the ground to a team mate, which damages the ball and may waste time.

dont agree with this one

ammark
September 30, 2010, 04:13 PM
They shoulda banned the mongoose while they were at it. And absolute flat track wickets that offer no contest from the bowlers. Good cricket died with the current incarnation of Twenty20. It'll be reborn only when its spirit lives through tough contest and not the present day p0rn.

nakibahmed
September 30, 2010, 04:24 PM

unnecessary,expect more wides first up!

bangla-red
September 30, 2010, 04:54 PM

Can someone explain this to me please? I don't understand completely.

MohammedC
September 30, 2010, 05:21 PM
Can someone explain this to me please? I don't understand completely.

Landing front foot right infront of the stumps when delivering. I can only think spinners who can deliver such way unless the bowler is Sohel Tanvir. (the red area on pic below). I think thats what they mean.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:4IbaRlB0fPoXTM:http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc111/have-a-guess/Hawkeye/Hawkeye-anim.gif&t=1

nsd3
September 30, 2010, 05:41 PM
Does this need to be approved by ICC and then implemented in Int'l cricket matches?

Murad
September 30, 2010, 06:00 PM
Does this need to be approved by ICC and then implemented in Int'l cricket matches?

First line in the opening post:

MCC has introduced eight amendments or clarifications to the Laws of Cricket which come into effect today.

al-Sagar
September 30, 2010, 10:01 PM
all the changes makes sense ... ...

nsd3
September 30, 2010, 10:02 PM
First line in the opening post:
Hmm, MCC makes the changes, not ICC.

BANFAN
October 1, 2010, 02:58 AM
Mostly some changes in application of the existing laws. Not bad

shakibrulz
October 1, 2010, 03:33 AM
Umpires will no longer offer the light Umpires will now be the sole arbiters of whether play should continue in poor light. The batting side will no longer have any say in the decision, which was often made for tactical reasons.
The toss

That sucks.

Naimul_Hd
October 1, 2010, 04:41 AM
timely and sensible decisions.

lamisa
October 1, 2010, 05:01 AM
the broken bat dismissal is an unfair one.i think the dismissal which occurs when a batsman trods on the stumps accidentally is also an unfair one