PDA

View Full Version : We still need to improve - Mortaza

shakibrulz
October 6, 2010, 03:38 AM
Mashrafe Mortaza was helped off the field after he injured himself during New Zealand's innings, Bangladesh v New Zealand, 1st ODI, Mirpur, October 5, 2010

Bangladesh captain Mashrafe Mortaza has said his team must perform better to build on their win in the first ODI against New Zealand. Bangladesh won by nine runs using the Duckworth/Lewis method, but Mortaza mentioned a number of areas in which the team needed to improve.

"Our fielding was not up to the mark and the middle-order batting was also a concern for us," Mortaza said. "Most of the top-order batsmen got starts but could not carry it on."

Mortaza turned his ankle in his second over and was forced to watch the match from the sidelines. While he wished he could have contributed to the victory, he said the win was the important thing and made him forget all about the pain. "All credit must go to the boys who played brilliantly as a unit to win the game, especially Shakib [Al Hasan] who was great. One bowler was short but it was made up brilliantly."

Bangladesh's total of 228 was 15 to 20 runs short of their target, according to Mortaza, but the team was confident it could defend the score. "New Zealand got off to a good start but we bounced back brilliantly. We knew that it would not be easy for New Zealand to chase down the total if we took two or three early wickets. Riyad [Mahmudullah] and Naeem [Islam] both gave good support.

"This is a nice birthday gift for me," said Mortaza, who turned 27 yesterday.

New Zealand captain Daniel Vettori was disappointed with his side's failure to chase down a target he thought was gettable. Their revised target was 210, but they had only 37 overs to chase it in. "Any loss is disappointing but we should have chased the score, but we lost wickets at regular intervals and at crucial times," he said.

Vettori was full of praise for Shakib, who made a brisk half-century to take Bangladesh past 200, and then took four wickets, including a double-strike in the 15th over to remove the rampant Brendon McCullum and Grant Elliott. "His batting late in the innings gave them the impetus," Vettori said, "and his bowling posed a danger."

http://www.cricinfo.com/bangladesh-v-new-zealand-2010/content/current/story/480186.html

shakibrulz
October 6, 2010, 03:40 AM
Agree, a lot must improve. You can't expect Ice to bail you out every time. Especially batting need some more intent.

BTW is Shakib going to captain the side for rest of the series? Oh noez :(

Naimul_Hd
October 6, 2010, 03:56 AM
To add that...I believe, couple of NZ batsmen played horrible shots and got out softly. They will be careful in the coming matches. so, our bowlers will have to work harder to get them out in future.

Rabz
October 6, 2010, 04:25 AM
Yes, we need to improve a lot.
You can't defend 228 everyday.

BANFAN
October 6, 2010, 04:42 AM
If Mash was fit and would have taken the last over, you never know, 18 could be getable. :) If we want to win more matches, other bowlers must do well alongside Shakib and Middle order needs to step up.... With Riyad & Nayeem in there, I don't see much light.

Habib
October 6, 2010, 05:27 AM
^Ouch :)

simon
October 6, 2010, 06:20 AM
our bowling & fieding looked impressive but not the batting,but good thing is that only Sakib's bat talked,so we can surely expect others bat to start talking & believe me against NZ if we bat well we have more than a decent chance to win.
NZ batting isn't as good as the other top sides,I hope in the next matches we bat first and get around 260 or more,the game will be in our hand.

sir john
October 6, 2010, 06:52 AM
good words of mortaza

Tiger444
October 6, 2010, 07:31 AM
Good points made by Mash..we still have a ways to go if we want to win another 1-2 games..and its good that he's being a realist..hopefully everyone else on the team is..next game I expect that someone from the top 4 puts up a big score and not just 20-30 score..that was a huge problem in our last innings..the highest scorer in our top 4 was SN and he had only 35..I don't know who will step up but its very important that 1 of them bat really well to carry on the innings..then it puts less pressure on the batsmen 5-8 and they can hit boundaries and the end of the innings..

Tiger Manc
October 6, 2010, 08:33 AM
our lack of sixes is strating to get frustrating. only 1 six in the entire innings? we've hardly hit any sixes all year and when we try to hit them we look woeful at it, for example Mushys shot that eventually got caught.

M.H.Rubel
October 6, 2010, 09:54 AM
This is the sprit.You need to be realitic and aspirand to be successfull.May be Mash is not a good captain but he is a good leader.He can make the team sprited.He is a good thinker as well.After the england series only he said that he is not happy with the performance in england and europe tour.Before this Kiwi tour only mash said we will play to win the series but not our couch.This time he is not flooded by win rather he wants to fix up the problems and want to look forward.I like one thing about Mash that is he have the winning mentality.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

shakibrulz
October 6, 2010, 10:12 AM
This is the sprit.You need to be realitic and aspirand to be successfull.May be Mash is not a good captain but he is a good leader.He can make the team sprited.He is a good thinker as well.After the england series only he said that he is not happy with the performance in england and europe tour.Before this Kiwi tour only mash said we will play to win the series but not our couch.This time he is not flooded by win rather he wants to fix up the problems and want to look forward.I like one thing about Mash that is he have the winning mentality.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Mash is a pretty decent captain BTW. I mean his captiancy skills are far better than others.

crikfreak
October 6, 2010, 10:48 AM
Mash is a pretty decent captain BTW. I mean his captiancy skills are far better than others.

agreed...

n man.... i love his words... :D:D..... i love the way he speaks.... he's one of the only ppl ive seen in a long tym who not just looks at the positives, bt also at the negatives with a mind to mend them...n he's got a winning menatlity... :)... i like that...

now i just wish he gets better n starts leading him his team of cats n turns them into true tigers... :D... each n every one of them.....

roman
October 6, 2010, 10:55 AM
I like the way he thinks. Thats what I call a captain. Too bad he is injured again.. I wish him a fast recovery...

roman
October 6, 2010, 10:56 AM
BTW is Shakib going to captain the side for rest of the series? Oh noez :(

He has no other choice :)

betaar
October 6, 2010, 01:47 PM
May be Mash is not a good captain but he is a good leader.He can make the team sprited.He is a good thinker as well.

You say he is a good leader and good thinker................what else do you need to be a good captain?

simon
October 6, 2010, 03:11 PM
somehow Mash is a lucky captain,not the case for Sakib though.:(
that makes me worried,but Iceman looks like the Iceman we saw in WI tour.

MarufH
October 6, 2010, 03:19 PM
We must improve but we cant take away...

SN getting runs and looking good.
All top order getting some runs
Shakib getting some runs.

rinathq
October 6, 2010, 07:54 PM
This guy is brave, challenging and realistic. Every captain in past talked about winning. But he is the only one that believes in it. He knows that the team is capable. Good words from him. He is a true tiger.

beshideshi
October 6, 2010, 08:22 PM
Very well said by Mash. Lots of us here are going overboard with one win, but we still have two more games to win.
One thing I hope Bangladeshi players do is, regardless of the opponent, situation, circumstances they go out there to win and win only. And Mash seems to have that mentality, I hope he stays captain untill Shakib reaches maturity.

FagunerAgun
October 6, 2010, 08:25 PM
Completely agree with Mash. This win is good but we had pretty horrible performances by some players like Mushfiq, Mahmudullah and Naeem.

Instead of getting too emotional with the win, he got realistic with a good analysis. This is a true sportsmanship and captaincy.

This comment also puts our players under some sort of pressure and urgency to perform better specially in the next ODI.

Mash, we miss you.

Holden
October 6, 2010, 09:14 PM
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

This is an excellent point, sometimes we can forget the important role Mashrafe plays in getting the best out of the other players, even before he was captain. He really knows how to "rally his troops", something which I feel Shakib struggled with in his short stint as captain.

I remember reading somewhere that on the eve of Bangladesh's opening game against India at the 2007 World Cup, Mashrafe was chatting with some of the Indian players and heard them discussing the possible games at the Super 8 stage, implying as if it was guaranteed that they (India) and Sri Lanka would be the teams that would qualify from the their initial group. This angered Mashrafe so much that he immediately left the Indians and went and told his teammates about the Indian players' arrogance. Mashrafe might not have been the captain the following day, but he was the one that led the team to victory with his 4 wickets. No doubt his war cry influenced the likes of Tamim Iqbal, who with raging bravado showed complete disregard of the inflated reputations of Zaheer Khan and co, by smashing a brutal and match winning contribution of 51 runs. This epitomises to me the huge influence Mashrafe can have on his teammates

MarufH
October 6, 2010, 11:58 PM
^ well said.

Tigers_eye
October 7, 2010, 12:15 AM

I remember reading somewhere that on the eve of Bangladesh's opening game against India at the 2007 World Cup, Mashrafe was chatting with some of the Indian players and heard them discussing the possible games at the Super 8 stage, implying as if it was guaranteed that they (India) and Sri Lanka would be the teams that would qualify from the their initial group. ..
The player was none other than Anil Kumble. Arrogance teaches people lessons in its own way. :)

By the way, Shakib is a different breed. He demands his players perform. At this level, players should not need motivational speech in every game. Everyone knows his role and needs to perform.
+++
Massive improvement is needed in umpiring. moni'ery joray tui ta jhari dilei angul tuiley dei. Boll kon dik diye galo khobor'i nai. Zunaid'er ekta ball kisu'tey lagey nai. wide leg diye bairey galo 4 run. omaa, moni miya na dilo wide nadilo kisu. extra ekta ball miss.

Holden
October 7, 2010, 10:57 AM
By the way, Shakib is a different breed. He demands his players perform. At this level, players should not need motivational speech in every game. Everyone knows his role and needs to perform.

I agree Shakib is a different breed; he is the most naturally gifted player we have ever had. I read somewhere he started playing cricket at a later age than the others, and still was able to excel due to his natural athleticism. I think this is where the underlying problem is; the reason why he seems to struggle as a captain. He sets the bar too high for the others, he expects them to be as good as he is.

Whilst on the other hand Mashrafe is not as naturally gifted, he is someone who as got to where he is by working hard to achieve the maximum he can. He is someone I think that can relate to the other players and is able to use his experience to guide them and motivate them. He is able to understand the other players' shortcomings and deal with them more effectively, whilst Shakib may become frustrated with them. This is the same reason why in football a lot of the great players fail to become good managers/coaches, it is more common for the less talented, average players that become good or even great managers, of course with a few exceptions.

Anyway Shakib has plenty of time to improve his captaincy skills, I think it would be too much burden to ask him to be the full time captain now, Mashrafe should stay on unless he is consistently injured, in which case someone like Mushfiqur may have to step up, as he has previous experience of captaining a lot of the players at youth level.

Habib
October 7, 2010, 11:09 AM
^But the problem is- Mushi's place in the team is not cemented yet, atleast in ODIs.

MarufH
October 7, 2010, 11:26 AM
I agree Shakib is a different breed; he is the most naturally gifted player we have ever had. I read somewhere he started playing cricket at a later age than the others, and still was able to excel due to his natural athleticism. I think this is where the underlying problem is; the reason why he seems to struggle as a captain. He sets the bar too high for the others, he expects them to be as good as he is.

Whilst on the other hand Mashrafe is not as naturally gifted, he is someone who as got to where he is by working hard to achieve the maximum he can. He is someone I think that can relate to the other players and is able to use his experience to guide them and motivate them. He is able to understand the other players' shortcomings and deal with them more effectively, whilst Shakib may become frustrated with them. This is the same reason why in football a lot of the great players fail to become good managers/coaches, it is more common for the less talented, average players that become good or even great managers, of course with a few exceptions.

Anyway Shakib has plenty of time to improve his captaincy skills, I think it would be too much burden to ask him to be the full time captain now, Mashrafe should stay on unless he is consistently injured, in which case someone like Mushfiqur may have to step up, as he has previous experience of captaining a lot of the players at youth level.

I don't think he was most gifted. He works very hard. I remember when he came on, his bowling was not all that and still, dare I say, his batting techniques can improve. He works really hard.. and I guess expects everyone else to do the same.

I do agree with Tiger_eye bhai on players should be professional enough... but us bangalis in general work better with motivation rather than pushing. (just my observation)

Yes... I think it would be nice to have someone else lead the team and let him focus on his personal game.. too bad there is no one who can actually take over. :-|

wiseshah
October 7, 2010, 11:38 AM
though i love mashrafe, i think he is kind of irresponsible. how many times u can get freak accident like this. he should have been more careful.

he needs to learn how to bowl in last over or hold his urges not to bowl in death overs. he should finish all his bowling quota in first 20 overs. is it too much asking?