PDA

View Full Version : Story on Nafees after 3rd ODI

Isam
October 11, 2010, 01:17 PM
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=158116

A 40-minute piece focusing on Shahriar Nafees.

Rabz
October 11, 2010, 01:42 PM
Good one again Isam.

Pls do keep them coming.

At the end of the series, write about the sweet battle that is ongoing amongst the players for their spot in the team.

Habib
October 11, 2010, 01:56 PM
Good article Isam vai. Carry on.

lamisa
October 12, 2010, 10:50 AM
good article iam bhai!carry on with the good work.and please if u interview him,ask him if JS has been helping him a lot...

roman
October 12, 2010, 10:55 AM
I just hope to see Nafees and Tamim open for BD. Two aggressive batsmen opening for BD. Can you imagine?

Habib
October 12, 2010, 11:23 AM
I just hope to see Nafees and Tamim open for BD. Two aggressive batsmen opening for BD. Can you imagine?

Yes I can imagine BD being 15/1 in 2 overs if that happens. SN needs to play at no.3 or 4 but not in place of Vimrul.

shakibrulz
October 12, 2010, 11:43 AM
Yes I can imagine BD being 15/1 in 2 overs if that happens. SN needs play in no.3 or 4 but not in place of Vimrul.
Tamim in 8 out of 10 times is going to throw his wicket early, i can bet you on that.

If they somehow manage to bat till the 8th or even 10th over, they can make quite a few runs and then the middle order can build on that foundation.

SN looks like an aggressive batsman, so I'd prefer him to play in powerplays. Imrul is the anchor role type player. So afterall not bad sending them both in.

Raynman
October 12, 2010, 11:50 AM
If I recall correctly, most of Nafees' good innings have either set a strong platform or helped chase a target with ease. In short, his performances are in most cases beneficial to the team in the big picture.

Granted most of those were against lesser opposition but even our other guys (Ash, Tamim included) haven't been able to do that even with the lesser teams.

If we can't bag one of the big teams prior to the world cup, BCB should look to schedule something with Kenya or Scotland (excluding IRE/NED since they are in our group) just to keep the winning habit going and figuring out what the batting order should look like come WC.

Habib
October 12, 2010, 11:50 AM
@Shakibrulz. The thing is SN & Tamim have no chemistry between them whatsoever. On the other hand Tamim & Imrul compliment each other.

Raynman
October 12, 2010, 11:52 AM
@Shakibrulz. The thing is SN & Tamim have no chemistry between them whatsoever. On the other hand Tamim & Imrul compliment each other.

To be totally honest, Tamim has no chemistry with anyone (other than Junaid in Tests).
He is a good stroke player but horrible at reading the fielders for singles/twos and even worse at running between the wickets with his partner.

Habib
October 12, 2010, 11:55 AM
To be totally honest, Tamim has no chemistry with anyone (other than Junaid in Tests).
He is a good stroke player but horrible at reading the fielders for singles/twos and even worse at running between the wickets with his partner.

Still, Tamim & Imrul regularly have had good partnerships. So that's good enough to say that they have good chemistry.

Raynman
October 12, 2010, 12:55 PM
Still, Tamim & Imrul regularly have had good partnerships. So that's enough to say that they have good chemistry.

I wouldn't agree with 'thats enough to say' , otherwise Stats would be the end all of all discussions.

My definition of good chemistry incorporates there being a balance of balls faced/runs scored between the two over a period of games (a la Sehwag/Gambhir or Haynes/Greenidge). Its okay for Kayes to defer to Tamim for the run scoring but its not as if Kayes is good at singles to give Tamim the strike and Tamim is not good at knowing when to hand strike over to Imrul when he is facing someone he is uncomfortable with.

Habib
October 12, 2010, 01:05 PM
I wouldn't agree with 'thats enough to say' , otherwise Stats would be the end all of all discussions.

My definition of good chemistry incorporates there being a balance of balls faced/runs scored between the two over a period of games (a la Sehwag/Gambhir or Haynes/Greenidge). Its okay for Kayes to defer to Tamim for the run scoring but its not as if Kayes is good at singles to give Tamim the strike and Tamim is not good at knowing when to hand strike over to Imrul when he is facing someone he is uncomfortable with.

But ultimately it all boils down to how successful their partnership is. SN was tried as Tamim's opening partner before & the partnership failed miserably. So the point I tried to make which was SN shouldn't replace Imrul as Tamim's partner, still stands.

riankhan
October 12, 2010, 01:11 PM
Still, Tamim & Imrul regularly have had good partnerships. So that's good enough to say that they have good chemistry.

Like Uttom-Shuchitra? Jolie-Brad Pitt? ;)

Raynman
October 12, 2010, 02:42 PM
But ultimately it all boils down to how successful their partnership is. SN was tried as Tamim's opening partner before & the partnership failed miserably. So the point I tried to make which was SN shouldn't replace Imrul as Tamim's partner, still stands.

Don't disagree with you from a short term solution perspective but just pointing out that I don't agree with you when you say Tamim and Imrul have good chemistry. Both have big flaws in their games that need to be worked out and will hopefully improve with time.

I'm a huge fan of SN but I don't believe these two innings are enough to make him a mainstay in the XI. It certainly adds options for the selectors and allows the captain/coach to play with the batting order which is a good thing.

Remember that SN walked into 2007 WC with almost as much expectations we have on Tamim for the 2011 one.

roman
October 12, 2010, 03:18 PM
Yes I can imagine BD being 15/1 in 2 overs if that happens. SN needs to play in no.3 or 4 but not in place of Vimrul.
You never know bro...Many of us thought that SN will fail measurably against NZ but he did ok. So we'll never know how Tamim & SN patrnership going to be unless we give them a try. But I do agree with you that Chemistry is a factor here..We have Imrul & Tamim Chemistry. And I am sure that Imrul will start working hard to perform as well coz he knows that if he does'nt SN will be the first choice as an opener. Healthy competition all around..I like...

akabir77
October 12, 2010, 03:53 PM
we should drop rock and put sn in place. problem solved.

simon
October 13, 2010, 04:31 AM
So,who's opening an"Official SN Thread"?. ;)

_Rafi_
October 13, 2010, 04:44 AM
Dailystar once tried to make SN a villain-
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=117749

aosaif
October 13, 2010, 04:56 AM
A little light humor for those who are familiar with the Old Spice commericals (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE))

Look at the pitch. Now Back at me. Now Back to the ball in your hand, NOW BACK TO ME. Sadly, that ball isn't me. But if you stopped bowling and became a rock star you could feel a lot more like me. Look down, run up, where are you? You're bowling at a batsman who's on fire....me, and you're shaking in your pants like some kiwi doused in lady-scented bodywash. Back at me,´╗┐ what's going on? It's yet another clinical cover-drive to the boundary as I make your Total of 173 look like a cheap imitation of a rolex. Look´╗┐ again, the ball is NOW DIAMONDS and you don't know why you even bothered to turn up.
Anything is possible when you're me - Shahriar Nafees.
I'm on a nouka!!

max410
October 13, 2010, 05:01 AM
Hopefully he doesn't screw up in the next match

jisaan
October 13, 2010, 05:30 AM
Hopefully he doesn't screw up in the next match

Ditto! May Allah help us/him

BANFAN
October 13, 2010, 05:54 AM
Good one ...