PDA

View Full Version : Ian pont seems to have had an impact

fishyguy
October 11, 2010, 01:37 PM
Especially on Rubel. They bowled much fuller and stump to stump. The 2 guys had much better control than what they have shown in the past. BD actually have a better coaching staff then Pakistan, WI, Sri Lanka and NZ. Also they are trying slower deliveries. Biggest improvement is definitely from Rubel. In terms of pace both Rubel and Shafiul have been the quickest bowlers BD have had and have actually maintained their speeds unlike Shahadat. BD bowling attack at home should be 2 quicks and 4 spinners in the subcontinent and 3 quicks and 3 spinners outside. Also they need to use Mullah more. He should bat at 6.

Habib
October 11, 2010, 01:42 PM
Now that I think about it BD really has better coaching staff than some other major countries ATM. All three coaches are more than adequate in their respective fields. We got lucky.
EDIT: Oh & don't forget about our psychologist couple :P

max410
October 11, 2010, 01:45 PM
good to see some improvements we want consistency i their performance now

Haru-party
October 11, 2010, 01:57 PM
Now that I think about it BD really has better coaching stuff than some other major countries ATM. All three coaches are more than adequate in their respective fields. We got lucky.

all the hails to Lotus :D

cricket_pagol
October 11, 2010, 03:41 PM
Why did it take forever to get a bowling coach? What's being done to help people on the fringes of the national squad... nothing!!! That's truly the biggest failure of BCB in the last 3-4 years.

Blah
October 11, 2010, 03:57 PM
Why did it take forever to get a bowling coach? What's being done to help people on the fringes of the national squad... nothing!!! That's truly the biggest failure of BCB in the last 3-4 years.

AFAIK we had regular bowling coaches for the last couple of years or so. Ian seems to have more depth and experience in coaching than the previous coaches we had.

Sovik
October 11, 2010, 04:19 PM
May be beginner's luck. Its too early to say

al Furqaan
October 11, 2010, 04:58 PM
too early to say...but i thoiught rubel bowled superbly. shafiul got his wicket and improved his already stellar strike rate (under 30)...but if he was little tighter it would be better.

Rabz
October 11, 2010, 05:22 PM
Impact or not, we are winning.
At the end of the day, that is what matter the most.

We can do a full evaluation after the series is done and dusted.

BASSMAN
October 11, 2010, 05:42 PM
early days to say he has had a major impact. But I did see some difference in Rubels bowling action.

nycpro96
October 11, 2010, 05:55 PM
Rubel has everything but was always raw. Lets hope Pont can ripen him up and make him an elite strike bowler. Though Rubel isn't hitting the speeds that I would think he should be hitting. I want to see Rubel bowl 142-146. Does anyone else think he's lost some pace?

Dhruvo
October 11, 2010, 05:59 PM
Rubel has everything but was always raw. Lets hope Pont can ripen him up and make him an elite strike bowler. Though Rubel isn't hitting the speeds that I would think he should be hitting. I want to see Rubel bowl 142-146. Does anyone else think he's lost some pace?
Yeah I noticed it too. He used to bowl over 84 mph consistently. I think he's still capable of doing that, he's just sacrificing a bit of pace for more accuracy. Maybe in a few years when he gets stronger we'll see him bowling at that mark while also maintaining accuracy.

Ajfar
October 11, 2010, 08:33 PM
who knows what would have happened had Lotus managed to get his best friend Lance Klusner.

shafayeen
October 11, 2010, 08:38 PM

rubel, shafiul arent at their 100%...just came off injuries

Tigers_eye
October 11, 2010, 09:25 PM
Especially on Rubel. ...
Have you seen his yorker to Mills (last ball) in the batting power play overs after Taylor took him apart? That is called composed and honed at task in hand.

beshideshi
October 11, 2010, 09:51 PM
Pont kept talking about increasing pace AND accuracy, which is a bit misleading seeing Rubel decreased 5ks today to yield much, much better control. I think 140 and control is a good combination! But as many said already, too early to say.

Habib
October 11, 2010, 10:49 PM
^You have to keep in mind that the pitch was sluggish too.

tanziraz
October 12, 2010, 03:24 AM
I think rubel was a bit more aggressive at the begining. Think of the match against sri lanka, in tri nation series, which BD won, he bowled with such pace and bowl some excellent short ball which have no answer. His pace and bounce just knocks down sri lankan batsman. But after that, he lose some pace. Also that aggressiveness could not found in his bowling. He is still very young. This is not a good idea to cut the pace for accuracy. Coaches say- Bowl as fast as you can.accuracy will automatically come with experience. You will found it true in case of malinga. In his early days, he was all over the place. But now he is one of the most accurate bowler of the world. And his pace makes him almost unplayable at times.

lamisa
October 12, 2010, 10:40 AM
i still have issues with rubel's overstepping and wides...

Nadim
October 14, 2010, 08:18 AM
how come everyone is quite about Pont?

Havent watched the game but by reading some of the post here at bc i think Rubel bowled magneficently. So credit goes to him aswell
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)

shakibrulz
October 14, 2010, 08:37 AM
Rubel was has lost pace actually, but his accuracy was amazing. I rate him above shafiul in the shorter formats.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

WarWolf
October 14, 2010, 08:44 AM
Pont is doing amazing work. We need to extend his contract now. No need to wait for world cup to end. That time some other team may hire him looking at our improvement,.

MohammedC
October 14, 2010, 08:44 AM
Rubel bowled most of his overs in the middle. He was very economical.

Ian Pont believes Rubel can bowl up to 150k.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

al-Sagar
October 14, 2010, 08:57 AM
it is just a start . there will be more to come

I hope shahadat will also bounce back. and sajedul.

also there is a good bunch of young bowlers waiting
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)

shakibrulz
October 14, 2010, 09:09 AM
Rubel bowled most of his overs in the middle. He was very economical.

Ian Pont believes Rubel can bowl up to 150k.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
I think probably pont worked more on accuracy than pace - he's hardly got any time. Rubel bowled 140+ in england, but now he's hitting the lower 130s. I won't mind, accuracy is the key in such slow wickets. And his variation of pace was excellent, mixed it up very well.

And about 150 :lol: Atul Sharma redux

lamisa
October 14, 2010, 11:22 AM
shakibrulz:i don't think that rubel has lost pace,i guess it's just the conditions.also maybe he's bowling slower on purpose to gain more control and accuracy.he's not 100% fit also...

crickwizard
October 14, 2010, 11:22 AM
Surely Sidons-Fonten-Pont-Henry set are having much stronger impact on team but i also think getting CHACHA out from the dressing room was the key...

roman
October 14, 2010, 11:29 AM
Pont got only 2-3 weeks to work with pacers. Too early to comment on that. We can get a better picture of our pacers when we play against Zim. But fielding has improved a lot. Well done Fountain...

Shaan
October 14, 2010, 11:32 AM
first make the habit of accuracy then speed that what i guess pont is working on. Pont himself said he will work on increasing speed. I am totally amazed by the way Rubel bowling with controll throughout this sereis, i believe Pont have something to do it...
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Habib
October 14, 2010, 11:56 AM
Damn. BCB totally wasted money on Champaka Ramanayake.

WarWolf
October 14, 2010, 12:01 PM
Spot on.

Naimul_Hd
October 15, 2010, 12:55 AM

and also on Chaccha too !

bujhee kom
October 15, 2010, 01:06 AM
Thik bolechen Ian Pont dada-ke ekta very big :big_hug: dilaam!

lamisa
October 15, 2010, 01:21 AM
Guys chacha came on atn news or channel i news yesterday,can't remember which one and he was saying that siddons spent a lot of time with the players,he really worked very hard with the players...

LBW103
October 21, 2010, 11:43 PM
Pont has been viewed as the world's leading technical fast bowling coach. It will be good if he has the time to spread his coaching wings with us! It's a bit harsh to say we wasted money on Champaka - he just doesn't know the stuff Pont clearly knows.

Pont is a smart coach and has worked with Shoaib and Steyn.

It looks like the players are responding well and that is always what matters.

Sohel
October 21, 2010, 11:47 PM
The proof is in the pudding. He has had an immediate impact and then some. I'm confident we'll go into the ODI WC with a formidable squad of limited over quicker bowlers. I hope the alleged think tank have him work with guys like Shubhashish, Sajid, Robbin and Talha also.

Zunaid
October 21, 2010, 11:57 PM
As much as ability, a coach needs a charismatic personality and social/marketing skills. You need the charisma to inspire your charges. And you need the social/marketing skills to keep the press and public at bay. Ian Pont seems to have a good measure of all three skills. Siddons is a tad bit lacking in the last one.

LBW103
October 22, 2010, 02:38 AM
As much as ability, a coach needs a charismatic personality and social/marketing skills. You need the charisma to inspire your charges. And you need the social/marketing skills to keep the press and public at bay. Ian Pont seems to have a good measure of all three skills. Siddons is a tad bit lacking in the last one.

Are you saying Pont would be a good head coach then?

Zunaid
October 22, 2010, 02:43 AM
Are you saying Pont would be a good head coach then?

I have no idea as to his coaching skills above and beyond bowling. He might be the reincarnation of Mohsin Kamal as a head coach or he might be the new Barlowe.

zainab
October 22, 2010, 05:51 AM
I think that there is still hard work ahead for bowling and fielding. NZ fielding was much better but their bowling and batting let them down.

Murad
October 22, 2010, 11:33 AM
Ian Pont to dekhi nijeke bhaloi advertize kortese FB e.

roman
October 22, 2010, 11:38 AM
Murad vai, Please tell us how...

Murad
October 22, 2010, 11:45 AM
Murad vai, Please tell us how...

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716850964&v=wall

mac
October 22, 2010, 11:55 AM

He likes to get attention. I don't mind that as long as our bowlers are learning from him and performing.

Habib
October 22, 2010, 12:15 PM
So he's using BD as his jumping stone. Professionals...

Beamer
October 22, 2010, 01:13 PM

I am sure he is increasing his friend counts by hundreds:floor: everyday

Rajput
October 23, 2010, 05:00 AM
A Pakistani bowling coach like Waqar,wasim,sarfraz would be more beneficial for Bangladeshi fast bowlers.Pont can teach you how to bowl slobe,how to maintain line and length etc but he cant transfer the art of swing and especially reverse swing to your bowlers.Obviously I know he is aware of the technique of swing and reverse swing but theory and practice are two different things altogether.I remember early in his career Aamer did not possess the art of reverse but Waqar worked extensively on him and result was there.Though unfortunately Aamer made a mess and no more in action.

Habib
October 23, 2010, 05:08 AM
^Yes, they can also teach ball tampering & spot fixing to our players unlike Pont.

lamisa
October 23, 2010, 08:52 AM
^^^not all of them are like that..

shakibrulz
October 23, 2010, 09:04 AM
^Yes, they can also teach ball tampering & spot fixing to our players unlike Pont.
:lol:

Zunaid
October 23, 2010, 09:06 AM
^^^not all of them are like that..

Right!

Some like to eat 'em though.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/02/01/article-0-081A4657000005DC-269_468x396.jpg

roman
October 23, 2010, 09:14 AM
You guys are being very harsh on them :)

LBW103
October 23, 2010, 09:28 AM
A Pakistani bowling coach like Waqar,wasim,sarfraz would be more beneficial for Bangladeshi fast bowlers.Pont can teach you how to bowl slobe,how to maintain line and length etc but he cant transfer the art of swing and especially reverse swing to your bowlers.Obviously I know he is aware of the technique of swing and reverse swing but theory and practice are two different things altogether.I remember early in his career Aamer did not possess the art of reverse but Waqar worked extensively on him and result was there.Though unfortunately Aamer made a mess and no more in action.

Pont worked with Shoaib Akthar and Dale Steyn so he knows all this stuff. He was also working with England emerging fast bowlers including Broad and Finn, so definitely knows the swing stuff. He played first-class cricket, too and according to the BBC was an aggressive fast bowler who could swing the ball.

We are already seeing Rubel start to reverse swing looking at the last two ODis and this is something that the coach must be doing.

Zunaid
October 23, 2010, 09:33 AM
Rubel could swing it a bit (through raw) when he first came on the scene. Perhaps Pont can refine the raw talent and bring in more accuracy.