PDA

View Full Version : If Mashrafe played the series

crickwizard
October 11, 2010, 11:37 PM
Didnt mean to be harsh but wonder if Mash was able to play this series, what could have happen? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
1. The first ODI would have been hard to win. The time Sakib came into bowling was only possible as Sakib being the captain. Wish Mash, he would continue to bowl 5 overs, giving NZ much opportunity to sustain wickets.<o:p></o:p>
2. Mash was bowling 120-124K during the first over without any trouble to NZ opener. Not sure, why the media was saying he is back to 'tremendous' form, how so?<o:p></o:p>
3. Shuvo would not be in the team if Mash played. This could adversely effect the result of 2nd game. <o:p></o:p>
Once again, this is not a Mashrafe bashing thread, so don't get upset - put up your thought on how this would have been different<o:p></o:p>

godzilla
October 11, 2010, 11:47 PM
What's the point of looking into it soooo hard? What's done is done! Be happy we won both matches despite Mash being able to play or not ...

iDumb
October 11, 2010, 11:57 PM
shuvo was a replacement for Nayeem not Mash. had mash played, rubel would have not been picked. A fit mashrafee in One day will always make BD bowling stronger (given he doesn't ball death overs).

but I do agree however, this so called "2nd string BD" team is 2nd string by name only but is equally strong, if not better than "main" team.

For example, replacement for injured nazmul was actually by our main bowler...making the team stronger... I don't think nazmul at this point would have gotten the nod ahead of shafiul.

riankhan
October 12, 2010, 06:27 AM
A fit Mash will (IMPOV):

1. Increase team's strength to at-least 10%
2. Increase team's mental strength/support to around 20%
3. 10% more happy dressing room
4. Keep opponent 5% more busy making plans against him

He is always an asset.

magic boy
October 12, 2010, 07:09 AM
I am rather interested in "If Mohammad Ashraful played the series" thingy :p

M.H.Rubel
October 12, 2010, 07:21 AM
A fit Mash will (IMPOV):

He is always an asset.

Agreed
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Ajfar
October 12, 2010, 07:38 AM

a dozen or so new thread with his name on it
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

riankhan
October 12, 2010, 08:13 AM

"Ami goto koek match kharap khelechi".....after the series :hairpull:

Haru-party
October 12, 2010, 08:31 AM
A fit Mash will (IMPOV):

He is always an asset.

+++

Haru-party
October 12, 2010, 08:32 AM
:floor:"Ami goto koek match kharap khelechi".....after the series :hairpull:

lamisa
October 12, 2010, 09:53 AM
ashrafool should say "goto koek bosor dhore ami run pachchi na!" :haipull:
on topic:mashrafe is in form right now,he could have gotten some really early wickets.plus he's liked by everyone in the team,he could give the team a moral boost up

rinathq
October 12, 2010, 08:57 PM
Didnt mean to be harsh but wonder if Mash was able to play this series, what could have happen? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
1. The first ODI would have been hard to win. The time Sakib came into bowling was only possible as Sakib being the captain. Wish Mash, he would continue to bowl 5 overs, giving NZ much opportunity to sustain wickets.<o:p></o:p>
2. Mash was bowling 120-124K during the first over without any trouble to NZ opener. Not sure, why the media was saying he is back to 'tremendous' form, how so?<o:p></o:p>
3. Shuvo would not be in the team if Mash played. This could adversely effect the result of 2nd game. <o:p></o:p>
Once again, this is not a Mashrafe bashing thread, so don't get upset - put up your thought on how this would have been different<o:p></o:p>

1. Wrong. Mash always let Sakib bowl when he wanted to and on the right time. If Mash was playing, We wouldnt have to bowl Nazmul until his 9th over giving away essential runs. Same with Mahmudullah.
2. About his speed, as he mentioned the track was slippery and he was having difficulties bowling so that couldve been why he was unable to bowl 130k.
3. As mentioned, Shuvo was not a replacement for Mash. Its pretty stupid to suggest that. His replacement was Rubel who played well in the second ODI but i dunt see how Mash couldn't have done better.

On whole it wouldve helped to have Mash who is a very good bowler and can slog better than half of our team. He is also our captain and the most experienced in the team. So nice try.....

BD Tigers
October 12, 2010, 09:41 PM
rubbish thread.

Thread opener should open another thread like "what wud happen if Tamim played?"

cricadda
October 12, 2010, 11:59 PM
"Ami goto koek match kharap khelechi".....after the series :hairpull:

haha....nice joke:)

cricadda
October 13, 2010, 12:01 AM
rubbish thread.

Thread opener should open another thread like "what wud happen if Tamim played?"

if u like u can open another thread too...but don't say to rubbish other people thread. please mind your language..thanks.

Bond
October 13, 2010, 12:23 AM
If Mashrafee played we would have been down 2 nil. His injury has been a blessing in disguise.

Bond
October 13, 2010, 12:24 AM
rubbish thread.

Everyone is entitled to express their opinion, needless to call it a rubbish thread.

sonarbangla
October 13, 2010, 09:39 AM
shakib is a good player. I have no doubt in that.

Shakib is a good captain. I have no doubt in that.

BUT, if you leave shakib in captaincy for 2-3 more months, team spirit will fall apart.

To be a captain, you need to handle both in and off the field situations/relations, which Shakib is not capable of.

Mashrafee, Khaled mahmood, and Habibul Bashar used to be or are one of those influential figures in Bangladesh cricket, who can motivate and get the most out of their players. hence, even if mashrafee gives out runs at 7.00/over I would still want to keep him in the team.

And as for the outcome of the first ODI. hehe. Bangladesh won by 9 runs only. If you subtract Mash's batting contribution, Bangladesh would not win the match then.

lamisa
October 13, 2010, 10:07 AM
^^^thik i bolsen bhai.keno je manush eishob kotha bujhe na...

Haru-party
October 13, 2010, 10:18 AM
:up:shakib is a good player. I have no doubt in that.

BUT, if you leave shakib in captaincy for 2-3 more months, team spirit will fall apart.

To be a captain, you need to handle both in and off the field situations/relations, which Shakib is not capable of.

Mashrafee, Khaled mahmood, and Habibul Bashar used to be or are one of those influential figures in Bangladesh cricket, who can motivate and get the most out of their players. hence, even if mashrafee gives out runs at 7.00/over I would still want to keep him in the team.
And as for the outcome of the first ODI. hehe. Bangladesh won by 9 runs only. If you subtract Mash's batting contribution, Bangladesh would not win the match then.

+++ couldnt agree any more. great post

betaar
October 13, 2010, 11:49 AM
shakib is a good player. I have no doubt in that.

Are you kidding me? What has Mash done to motivate people lately? He’s been injured more of than all the players combined, he then walked out of the team (unprofessionally) and then stayed with the IPL team instead of staying with the team to support them (I understand, money was a motive and I would've done the same) which doesn't make him insipirational, does it?
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></P><P><FONT color=black><FONT face=And what has Shakib done to not motivate people? If anything, Shakib is more professional than Mash. I like Mash the most after Shak but I don’t think Mash is a captaincy material. Just because he’s popular, which I doubt he is, doesn’t make him a good leader. You know that in a team set up there are popular players and then there players who are effective and successful. And as far as Shakib, he’s popular, effective and successful.<o:p></o:p>

rinathq
October 13, 2010, 08:49 PM
^^^
What has Mash not done? he was with IPL because he wanted to work with the expertise there to get back. Sakib is a great player. It does not mean he is a better captain. Tendulkar is the best player in the world. Doesn't mean, people thought he would make a better captain.

Maddog
October 14, 2010, 07:39 AM
^^^
What has Mash not done? he was with IPL because he wanted to work with the expertise there to get back. Sakib is a great player. It does not mean he is a better captain. Tendulkar is the best player in the world. Doesn't mean, people thought he would make a better captain.

correct me if i am wrong.. but isnt it under shakibs captaincy that we have won the ODI series - first against WI , now NZ.. cant remember any other captain in bangladesh history doing that! so, where is all this fuss about shakib's captaincy coming from?

al-Sagar
October 14, 2010, 08:52 PM
I am rather interested in "If Mohammad Ashraful played the series" thingy :pif tamim played the series ?
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)

Tiger-ess
October 15, 2010, 07:15 AM
The million dollar question for me is what will happen after Mash comes back??? Last time during the WI tour when he got injured Shakib grabbed his position like there no tomorow (rightly so), this time again amar kase mone hoy abar o moyna mashrafeer position khabe.

If the selectors are smart they'll let Mashrafee captain the Zim series if he's fit by then inshallah. Since he hasnt had many opportunities to show his full potential as captain unlike bossman. That should decide who will captain during worldcup:-D

Habib
October 15, 2010, 10:03 AM
The million dollar question for me is what will happen after Mash comes back??? Last time during the WI tour when he got injured Shakib grabbed his position like there no tomorow (rightly so), this time again amar kase mone hoy abar o moyna mashrafeer position khabe.

If the selectors are smart they'll let Mashrafee captain the Zim series if he's fit by then inshallah. Since he hasnt had many opportunities to show his full potential as captain unlike bossman. That should decide who will captain during worldcup:-D

Just saw Mashrafi's interview on Ntv news. Mash said that if Shakib wants the captaincy, he'll step aside as he thinks Shakib is the best person to do the job. But if Shakib doesn't want the captaincy, he'll be happy to continue.
Bashar & Pilot want Mash to continue till the world cup. They want Shakib as captain for a long period after the WC.

AsifTheManRahman
October 15, 2010, 10:57 AM
The amount of time Shakib spent saving our butts and single-handedly leading us to an historic series win because the pink ponies in the team were too busy being graceful, Mashrafe would have spent drenching his jersey - not in sweat but in tears.

Mashrafe can lead us, but he can't lead us to glory. If you have vision, make Shakib the captain. If you want to lose to associates, Mashrafe is your man.

Beamer
October 15, 2010, 11:34 AM
Well, we don't know what would have happened, but cricwizard certainly have some valid points. I am going to look ahead to the WC and assuming Mash is healthy, its an all but certainty that he will be in the starting XI. However, in all probability, since the WC is at our home condition, we will field three spinners ( Sakib, Raj and probably Shuvo ), and two pacers. If that is the case, we will have to sacrifice one of Shafiul or Rubel to accomodate Mash. To me, right now, the two younger guys have much more upside than Mash. He was never a good death over bowler, and now that he looks considerably less pacy after a few bout with injuries, there is even less probability that he will get better than he was back before his injuries. If Shafi and Rubel contiue to get better under Pont, as all the indications point towards that, we will have a dillema at our hands. If you hand him back the captaincy, then you automatically assure him of his spot in the team, and I don't think that's such a good idea right now. Sakib should be made the permanent captain now, all the way to WC, no ifs and buts. In the meantime, we hope that Mash fights back from his injury and gets back to his old self. But, thats a lot of hope and prayers. Injuries have pre-maturely derailed the careers of many great fast bowlers, much better caliber bowlers than Mash, so hope and prayers should not cloud any judgement when its selection time for a big occassion like the World Cup. If I am the selector, I will definitely take the captaincy away from him, so I am left with some flexibility when its time to make the right but hard decision.

LateCut
October 15, 2010, 11:50 AM
Face it. M-ASHRAF-e is not match fit and I do not think he ever will be. So, his value to the team as best equal to that ASHRAF-ul's! The difference between them in terms of value to them is negligible. Much less than the their names!

roman
October 15, 2010, 11:50 AM
Just saw Mashrafi's interview on Ntv news. Mash said that if Shakib wants the captaincy, he'll step aside as he thinks Shakib is the best person to do the job. But if Shakib doesn't want the captaincy, he'll be happy to continue.
Bashar & Pilot want Mash to continue till the world cup. They want Shakib as captain for a long period after the WC.

That tells you what a great person Mashrafe is. I think Mash is just unlucky. We all know that with our strengh we could have easily beaten WI "A" team and If Mash was not injured he would've led us to the series victory. And if that was the case I am sure none of us would say that Mash is not captaincy material. He was the reason why Abahoni won the DPL with a very weak team 2/3 years back. I know Int cricket and domestic cricket are 2 different things but he showed that he has what it takes to be the captain.
But with all these injuries I highly doubt that Mash will be as lethal as he used to be, on top of that I think the other players would not like to see the change of leadership every now and then either. So I want Shak to continue. Thats best for the team

crickwizard
October 15, 2010, 12:31 PM
It is most likely that if Mash is fully recovered in 4 weeks, he will be given back his captaincy and if he can prove himself lethal both in own performance and captaincy - then he will be considered for WC captaincy. It is also likely that after WC Mash may retire. If Mash still struggles to recover and unable to make ZIM series then board will have no choice but to announce longer term captaincy to Shakib.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><o:p></o:p></FONT></FONT></P><P><FONT color=black><FONT face=Shakib remains the top performer in the team assuming he sustains his form as he has been last few months. Lets not mix up performance and leadership. Shakib is surely leading from the front but some of his actions often cause worry. He needs more time to mature his leadership and giving him more time to mature is good for Shakib and good for BD team in a long run. Perhaps one more season in county will make him more capable in dealing with ambiguity. His action towards a spectator during the 4th match and his action when Mash was back in the team and his comments on players on media when he was captain last time- does not make him a sure shot captain right now. But if Mash is not fit, Shakib will have to step in for longer term and we shall hope for the best. <o:p></o:p>

rinathq
October 15, 2010, 01:23 PM
Can you tell me how it wouldve afffected our wins Mash was here? Look at Rubel. He played 2 games
first game he got 1 wicket in 8 overs giving 39 runs. and one last ODI, he got 1 wicket giving 42 runs in 10 overs. His figures were good....but please explain how Mash couldn't have done better. Mashrafee can take 2 wickets in 10 overs with no problem. He is by far a better bowler at death overs than Rubel and also a little better than Shafi. Also recently he ahs turned into a all rounder. He can slog better than any others (Except Shakib)

Sakib is our top performer here because its a spin friendly pitch from the start. That does not mean Mash is a bad bowler.

Talking about captaincy, i always think Sakib is a little selfish captain. He is always reluctant to use off spinners like Mahmudullah. Look at Mahmudullah's figures. He took 2 wickets in each game still he was barely used... why?
He thinks he is doing a favor to Bangladesh cricket by being a captain...! Why?? It should be an honor and he should be proud of it.

Habib
October 15, 2010, 01:58 PM
^Rinathq, your credibility goes out of the window when you say Mashrafi is a good death over bowler & even better than Shafiul at that. Funny.
And slogging doesn't make you an allrounder. In the last match very few boundary shots from Shakib were slogs. He's capable of getting the boundaries by timing & precision.

WarWolf
October 15, 2010, 03:44 PM
He is by far a better bowler at death overs than Rubel and also a little better than Shafi. Also recently he ahs turned into a all rounder.
Bhyia please use statistics and your brain before making such comments. Mash is actually the worst dead over bowler in the team by any standard.

shakibrulz
October 15, 2010, 03:52 PM
Mash can sit out in future as well. :-p
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

Zeeshan
October 15, 2010, 04:35 PM
The amount of time Shakib spent saving our butts and single-handedly leading us to an historic series win because the pink ponies in the team were too busy being graceful, Mashrafe would have spent drenching his jersey - not in sweat but in tears.

Mashrafe can lead us, but he can't lead us to glory. If you have vision, make Shakib the captain. If you want to lose to associates, Mashrafe is your man.

The thing is some are afraid that too much pressure apparently ruins the career. I disagree. Earlier the better. I don't think making Shakib the captain will create any extra burden than he already has.

Raynman
October 15, 2010, 04:58 PM
Mash should be brought back when he can ball a reliable 10 overs. Not to knock on him but he should be one of the best picks for the pace bowling slots to be considered for the XI let alone captaincy. At this point in his career it is very hard to rate him above Shafiul, Rubel or Nazmul. His death over bowling is so bad it becomes a necessity to bowl him out early which does not allow to play the match based on the situation.

I'm not so sure if the 3-0 result in the absense of Mash, Ash and Tamim is purely a coincidence.

AsifTheManRahman
October 15, 2010, 05:21 PM
The thing is some are afraid that too much pressure apparently ruins the career. I disagree. Earlier the better. I don't think making Shakib the captain will create any extra burden than he already has.
I agree. Thinking like a sissy never got anyone close to anything, let alone becoming champs. If people at the BCB are afraid that captaincy will ruin his career, then I say fire those infidels, because breeding fear is a sin punishable only by failure and failure is all that we're destined to with that kind of thinking.

Batman became a winner by rising up to a swarm of bats and showing them the finger. Before that, he was a sissy. We can only win once we start to want it bad and letting Mashrafe captain will prove otherwise.

al Furqaan
October 15, 2010, 05:33 PM
i think shakib realizes he's the only man who can lead this team. he needs to be made the permenet captain, with mushy as his deputy. mashrafee can go down at any time.

Beamer brings out an interesting point, what do we do with our bowling options come WC. do we go with shuvo as the third spinner? shafi and rubel have made strong cases for their inclusions, and at this point shafi has a significant edge over the RBX. but both have bowled some excellent spells the past several months. but they can both be thwacked to the tune of 9 runs per over. we cannot afford that, not when our prefered method of batting in the powerplay is "block, block, block, slog for a single".

i wish we had more matches for shubho to show his worth, instead of just 3 games against NZ. zimbabwe, thankfully aren't as inept with the bat anymore, but will that be adequate to judge shubho's value? i think against the likes of the WI and the associates, that should be good enough.

rafiq
October 15, 2010, 06:20 PM
At the end of the day as much as everyone wishes Mashrafee could come roaring back and be a valuable part of the team, it's not very likely to happen. There have been far worse - far far far worse - captains of Bangladesh than Shakib. The team should stabilize with only a few months ahead of the WC, and Mashrafee should come back if he can claim a spot on the team as an allrounder or bowling option. Switching the captaincy back to Mashrafee when his fitness is questionable and the current guy is doing better than anyone before him creates turmoil. Having said that, I remember the time Mashrafee first burst on to the scene - Bangladesh's first real pacer prospect. He's put a lot of service in for the team, but he's not been able to play a significant amount of time in quite a while. He should worry about keeping his place on the team, not the captaincy. And his place is threatened not by his ability, because he still has a great deal to give to the team, but his inability to stay injury-free. In the past, Bangladesh cricket authorities have used captaincy as a way to retain players who were past their prime and couldn't otherwise compete for a place on the team. Two that come to mind are Khaled Mahmud Sujon and even Ashraful played because they were "captain". Hope this is not repeated with Mash.

shakibrulz
October 15, 2010, 10:53 PM
I agree. Thinking like a sissy never got anyone close to anything, let alone becoming champs. If people at the BCB are afraid that captaincy will ruin his career, then I say fire those infidels, because breeding fear is a sin punishable only by failure and failure is all that we're destined to with that kind of thinking.

Batman became a winner by rising up to a swarm of bats and showing them the finger. Before that, he was a sissy. We can only win once we start to want it bad and letting Mashrafe captain will prove otherwise.
:lol: Good one, I'd still prefer Shakib given that it doesn't affect his performance.

lamisa
October 16, 2010, 02:18 AM
asif bhai u can't really complain,shakib himself said that captaincy affects his performance

Habib
October 16, 2010, 03:31 AM
asif bhai u can't really complain,shakib himself said that captaincy affects his performance

Not really. He said he wants to be captain for a long period, not temporarily, so that he can implement his plan with the team.

BANFAN
October 16, 2010, 03:42 AM
Mash should not be back in Test or ODI, at best in T20. It's for his safety as well. We really don't need him as a captain. As a bowler, I'm sure he is on decline and it's much better for us to keep trying other pacers to fill up his slot permanently.

We could have lost a few matches if Mash was the captain, specially the first & third matches. Shakib took 49th over even after being tired with that century, just because he was captain, if mash was there, shak wouldnt do that/Mash wouldnt have called him to do that.

So, I find it's better for us to keep Shakib as the captain and Mash out of the Test and ODI teams.