PDA

View Full Version : ICC approves Test championship

Roni_uk
October 13, 2010, 06:13 AM
The ICC has completely redrawn the landscape of international cricket © Getty Images

The ICC has approved the creation of a league-style Test Championship and redrawn the lines of one-day cricket as part of an extensive restructuring of the international game that also includes a reduced 50-over World Cup and an enlarged World Twenty20 event. The proposals - laid out by the ICC's chief executive committee last month - were approved by the board at its meeting in Dubai on Wednesday.

The Future Tours Programme (FTP) will now comprise a Test league running over four years with the top four teams at the end of each period qualifying for a play-off event. The first play-off is scheduled for 2013, the same year England are due to host the Ashes, and Lord's is the favoured venue for the final.

A one-day cricket league - mirroring the existing team rankings - will also be part of the FTP, starting in April 2011 and running over four years to culminate in the crowning of the first ODI league champion in April 2014.

The league will run separately from the World Cup, the ICC's flagship event, which has been reduced to 10 teams for the 2015 tournament. The 2011 World Cup, to be held in India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, will include 14 countries and run from February 19 to April 2. The lengthy tournament is itself a smaller version than the 2007 event, which was widely criticised for including 16 sides and taking too long.

A 10-team tournament effectively makes it much harder for any of the Associate countries to qualify (the 2011 event has four Associate teams), and the ICC has asked its governing council to examine the issue of qualification for ICC global events, as well as opportunities for Associate members to play ODIs, and make recommendations to the board.

The World Twenty20 event will be expanded to 16 teams from the 2012 tournament, due to be staged in Sri Lanka. The success of smaller nations like Netherlands and Afghanistan in Twenty20 cricket prompted the expansion of the tournament, which will continue to have the women's event played alongside it

"Restructuring international cricket is a significant strategic challenge and one that must be dealt with," Haroon Lorgat, ICC chief executive, said. "We have now agreed in principle to exciting and far reaching proposals to tackle this important issue."

source - http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/current/story/481373.html

Abid_Khan
October 13, 2010, 06:17 AM
I don't like the reduced 50 over World Cup, as lot of the Associate countries aspire to play in the World Cup against the world's best teams. But the One Day league sounds good.

BANFAN
October 13, 2010, 06:25 AM
Good, I liked the changes

_Rafi_
October 13, 2010, 06:54 AM
10 teams worldcup is a bad idea...basically kill the concept of globalization of cricket. We have really some promising associate teams in Afgan, Irelan, Netherland, Kenya and Scotland. Even Canada, Bermuda is ok teams.
14 teams concept of worldcup was perfect.

Roni_uk
October 13, 2010, 07:10 AM
I want to know how this Test championship will actually be run. Are they going to tier-ified the 10 teams? or is every team will be played against each other?

MohammedC
October 13, 2010, 08:35 AM
I am waiting to see how the new FTP fixture will look like.

Raynman
October 13, 2010, 08:51 AM
I'm a bit concerned as there aren't enough details available yet.

What exactly is ICC's plan? There should be a solid decision made on what formats will be retained and how. Should associates invest in playing ODIs and Tests anymore or just focus on T20? In that case is ICC drawing a ceiling on the growth of Test and ODIs in terms of eligible countries? Also, does this mean that there is a long term plan for Test and ODIs or is this the 1st step in phasing it out over a period of time?

For a test and ODI league to work there will have to be equal number of home and away games between all teams. I wonder if this means that there will be no fixtures outside the league by individual boards. Will it be a one match, two match or three match series every visit?

For T20 the best way to globalize the game would be to zone it out into regions and have a regular qualification for the WC involving ALL nations. This allows for upcoming nations and potentially marketable nations (USA, China) to get a few games with the top teams even if they don't qualify for the World cup.

It also sounds like the international calendar will be so cluttered that domestic leagues in countries like BD, ZIM, NZ and WI will suffer by not having their best players available.

Well, lets see as the details come out what ICC has in store for us fans.

Ajfar
October 13, 2010, 08:52 AM
I'm all up for the test championship thing as long as every body gets a fair share of matches.

al Furqaan
October 13, 2010, 09:21 AM
I'm all up for the test championship thing as long as every body gets a fair share of matches.

teams don't get a fair share of matches now.

i hope they do under this new plan. we deserve a tour to India, but unfortunately money talks loudest.

i'm gonna wait to reserve judgement on this. i won't mind if we play most of our tests against the likes of WI, ZIM, NZ, PAK...but we ought to get regular tests against AUS, SA, IND, SL, and ENG too.

really bad on the ODI world cup reduction. at least 2 associates should play. make it 12 teams. this was a bad bad bad move, especially given how afghanistan was developing.

hope there is room for test expansion. and i hope the assoiciates get involved in the the ODI league since they are ODI teams. if they get more ODI matches with the top 10 sides due to the league then it will offset their world cup reductions.

Haru-party
October 13, 2010, 01:37 PM
concept clear na....kinchit tension-a asi....amader bonchito korar koushol nato o_0

Equinox
October 13, 2010, 01:46 PM
Waiting for the logistics to emerge. I would actually like a Premiership style home and away league without any semi-finals or final. Whoever tops the league is the champion.

Roni_uk
October 13, 2010, 05:26 PM
hmmm.. what if they say only the top 8 can play Test.. the rest can just go and play T20!!! I will quit BC.

nycpro96
October 13, 2010, 05:37 PM
We should have built a tier test system. 12 teams. 6 on one and 6 on the other. This would attract more nations to play cricket.