PDA

View Full Version : Can you not take powerplay before the 45th over? is there any law?

ma_o_mati
October 14, 2010, 01:30 AM
Why the heck we never take pp when we have good batsman on crease?...why it always have to be last 5 overs?

shakibrulz
October 14, 2010, 01:32 AM
I think they are not yet aware of it.

Nadim
October 14, 2010, 01:43 AM
For Bangladesh, yes, its a law. Created by Taklu siddons :mad:

rafiq
October 14, 2010, 01:49 AM
This kind of stupidity should not be rewarded with a win. Come on Kiwis!

WarWolf
October 14, 2010, 01:50 AM
Taklu needs accountability. He is not accountable at all for his works.

rafiq
October 14, 2010, 01:52 AM
Why aren't you guys blaming the captain, it's his job and he is a big boy by now. But yeah Siddons could actually coach tactics if he wiped that grin off his face and got to work...

M.H.Rubel
October 14, 2010, 01:52 AM
I know none of here will agree with me but whenever the powerplay is taken there must be fall of 2 or 3 wickets in those 5 overs.So in that case strategy of taking powerplay in the last is good for Bangladesh.We could have taken the powerlay 35-40 but i am sure it could have been worse then.So i think the strategy they are working with is worthwhile.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

shakibrulz
October 14, 2010, 01:53 AM
But seriously, do you think that joker would've gone for it in the batting powerplays? First get riyad out and then we'll talk. Now the powerplays kind of proved that batting 50 overs is also an issue herre

_Rafi_
Thats a crying shame! We couldn't make 270 or even 250. I will surely blame this decision if we lose the match.

Equinox
And get bowled out by the 45th over?

rafiq
it's really as dumb as the three NZ players going for a jog around the pitch in this heat...

rafiq
October 14, 2010, 01:56 AM
I know none of here will agree with me but whenever the powerplay is taken there must be fall of 2 or 3 wickets in those 5 overs.So in that case strategy of taking powerplay in the last is good for Bangladesh.We could have taken the powerlay 35-40 but i am sure it could have been worse then.So i think the strategy they are working with is worthwhile.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Thanks for that analysis. The best time probably was right after he got the century. He was tired, would have been out perhaps but could have smoked 20 more runs. Maybe he went to the dressing room and collapsed in a heap and there was no one to signal the powerplay. This happens in each game, so no big deal. We are slow learners.

rafiq
October 14, 2010, 01:58 AM
And get bowled out by the 45th over?

and how many runs did they score after Shakib got out? between scoring a higher total and getting all out earlier, I think the point of the game is to score the higher total. That is what the batting powerplay is there for.

Dilscoop
October 14, 2010, 01:59 AM
He is afraid we might get bowled out. Well I am sorry but I'd rather get bowled out with then see this, and still get bowled out

One World
October 14, 2010, 02:00 AM
This is pure retarded effort when one of your batsman makes a century and you are already on 220.

Timtim
October 14, 2010, 02:08 AM
Taklu needs accountability. He is not accountable at all for his works.

Exactly.

The second match could've been over earlier and with more wickets had we taken it right after SN got out.

This match we could've done better if we took it right after shakib's century. He was tired, he just scored a hundred, let the guy go out with a bang and add some more runs to the scoreboard.

While 241 is a great score, 261 and even better 271 has more of a psychological impact

Habib
October 14, 2010, 02:13 AM
Our main problem is that we don’t have powerful hitters down the order.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

reyme
October 14, 2010, 02:14 AM
Since the coach cant think, lets just take the BPP befor 30th over by default.

Zeeshan
October 14, 2010, 03:27 AM
Our main problem is that we don’t have powerful hitters down the order.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

Oh please. Guys like Riyad, Naeem, Shafiul, Razzak are well capable of slogging. But we really need to take PP when set batsmen are in. Shakib from time and time got out before PP many times slogging. This is just beyond ridiculous.

akabir77
October 14, 2010, 07:07 AM
We SUCK big time in PP. this is the 12th time they crumbled in PP. BD team is more afraid on playing PP then playing last 10. let tamim take the PP upfront and let the tail enders go to sleep.

Kabir
October 14, 2010, 07:16 AM
You can take powerplay whenever you want, but most teams take it on the 45th over. I don't think that's necessarily a bad idea...they like to keep it for tail enders who can cross the inner circle, in the hope that they don't get caught.

Now, having said that - this is just a strategy. Whether they can materialize this or not is a different story. Today they couldn't materialize this - and now everyone's bitching about it.

I think, more than the power play situation, we need to properly understand the fans' ridiculous state of mind - especially when the fans are Bangladeshis. We're really slowly turning out to be like eendian fans. So please...

Kabir
October 14, 2010, 07:18 AM
Btw...pp is also taken earlier if you loose too many wickets and you don't think you will last the 50 overs. So in the situation today, it was perfectly fine when pp was taken. We cannot depend greatly on our tail enders.

zman
October 14, 2010, 07:30 AM
We SUCK big time in PP. this is the 12th time they crumbled in PP. BD team is more afraid on playing PP then playing last 10. let tamim take the PP upfront and let the tail enders go to sleep.
I like this idea a lot...it may be unconventional to take the PP between 15-20 but i feel this is the way to make the most out of our PP overs. Our lower order was never this bad but they're just not clicking atm for some reason.

thebest
October 14, 2010, 07:36 AM
taklu may be the best batting coach but worst coach when come to strategy.

PoorFan
October 14, 2010, 07:57 AM
taklu may be the best batting coach but worst coach when come to strategy.
I blame Taklu for not having practice on batting powerplay, rest of the days before last game they should focus on this issue. Learn first how to play batting powerplay and then think about when it should be taken.

tkandi4
October 14, 2010, 08:14 AM
I felt today BD was waiting for Vittori to finish his 10th over and then go for Batting PP. Unfortunately, Shakib got out in Vittori's last over.

deshprem
October 14, 2010, 08:19 AM
does anyone have a quote or somthing where siddons is advocating for a 45 over pplay? all i can gather from his aussie pedigree, is that he would've reacted to the failure of this tactic much earlier...thats wat aussies do. im thinking bengali irrational n illogical thinking is behind this tactic.

shakibrulz
October 14, 2010, 09:39 AM
Oh please. Guys like Riyad, Naeem, Shafiul, Razzak are well capable of slogging. But we really need to take PP when set batsmen are in. Shakib from time and time got out before PP many times slogging. This is just beyond ridiculous.
Then why was Riyad playing for a draw in the powerplay overs? Razzak tried I guess. Shafiul got out too.

I agree though there's no logic in not taking powerplay with your set batsmen in.

shakibrulz
October 14, 2010, 09:40 AM
I felt today BD was waiting for Vittori to finish his 10th over and then go for Batting PP. Unfortunately, Shakib got out in Vittori's last over.
I think this was the case. Shakib was tired as hell and played a lame shot back to vettori. What a freebie for him :(

kalpurush
October 14, 2010, 09:46 AM
Now, seems "that" was a winning strategy!

BanCricFan
October 14, 2010, 10:06 AM
That was never a winning strategy!

If Kiwis had 1 or 2 wkts in the hand they would have chase this out comfortably. Lady luck will not favour all the time. We should have posted 270 from the position we were in with a set Shak and Riyad and put this game way beyond the reach of NZ.

One or two more lusty blows from Williamson and we would have had it.

PoorFan
October 14, 2010, 10:30 AM

If Kiwis had 1 or 2 wkts in the hand they would have chase this out comfortably. Lady luck will not favour all the time. We should have posted 270 from the position we were in with a set Shak and Riyad and put this game way beyond the reach of NZ.

Shakib was tired and his intention was to finish off Vettori's overs and then go for PP I guess. Given NZ fast bowlers are no jokers at pp so it seems Shakib wanted to play safe till PP to be forced. He knew 240+ will be good score to fight so may be he wanted to make that score sure first. It was risky but given those morons in tail [in death overs as usual] I think he made the right decision.

WarWolf
October 14, 2010, 10:36 AM

PP has been one of the most vital factors for BD over last 2 years. A lot of times we were in a good position but lost it due to misuse of PP. It's a disguise for us in blessings!!!

Unless Taklu gives some time working on this issue, I see Bangladesh losing a lot of matches by short margin in near future.

Raynman
October 14, 2010, 10:50 AM
McMillan pointed out during his commentary the danger in waiting for the batting PP. Both Riyadh and Shakib got ultra defensive in the early 40's (overs) waiting for the PP. They let bad balls go unpunished and eventually Shakib gave into a very soft dismissal.

As pointed out by others Shakib was tired and not bringing in runs with running (there were shots that could've been 2 instead of 1 if he wasn't so tired) so why not take the powerplay and hit over the fielders? It inexcusable to not get at least 30 runs (6 an over) during a batting powerplay.

That is one of my qualms about Siddons is that his focus is too much on defensive strokes. So often the batsment just dead block the ball where it kills any opportunity of a run via a misfield. Powerplay does not mean every ball is a 6 ball. It means you have more gaps by hitting above the fielder's head.

rinathq
October 14, 2010, 11:00 AM
The PP should have been taken when Sakib was there. The way Bangladesh started, it looked like we would go past 270. But no harm done.
However, brace yourselves gentlemen! The Kiwis got better at handling spinners. We will have to score more to win the next game.

BanCricFan
October 14, 2010, 11:31 AM
Shakib was tired and his intention was to finish off Vettori's overs and then go for PP I guess.

When you're batting on the 80s last thing you would want is to show undue respect to ANY bowlers. Infact, its the bowler who should be under pressure. Since Shak was tiring it would have been more fitting to go out swinging in the PP than going out in a wimper like he did. You have to create momemtum.

BD really have to sort out this PP business before the WC. Its been going on for a long time now. Otherwise, it will cost them important games in the future. Since, we dont have many good hitters down the order I would say they should take PP within 38 - 40 overs, depending on who are batting at that stage.

rafiq
October 14, 2010, 09:42 PM
Btw...pp is also taken earlier if you loose too many wickets and you don't think you will last the 50 overs. So in the situation today, it was perfectly fine when pp was taken. We cannot depend greatly on our tail enders.

I am trying to understand your post and the one immediately before it, but just don't seem to get the point. The bitching over PP is because of a pattern of poor PP management since the rule was introduced in ODI format. The comments here by many are actually from people who follow enough cricket, watch tactics of different teams, and aren't just emotional fans wanting Bangladesh to be perfect. And frankly it doesn't take a genius to figure out what the PP should be used for. If a tail cannot be depended on - and no tail can - then you take a PP with recognized batsmen. It actually IS as simple as that.

fiasnahk
October 14, 2010, 11:58 PM
I agree with everyone who says that you tend to lose wickets during powerplays. Not many realise but when the fielders are forced in then there is actually more pressure on the batsmen. They face too many dot balls and then go for an ugly slog. If we had taken the powerplays earlier i think we would have actually scored less. And anyway, riyad and shuvo were in, our supposed finishers. So its their fault really. Riyad has been dissapointing for a while. He needs to learn how to hit sixes like Mashrafee.

ma_o_mati
October 15, 2010, 12:03 AM
the problem is, riad by no means is lower order batsman...he can not hit boundaries at ease. he should replace raqibul...they should trade places and replace one another based on form and for number 6/7 spot put jahurul/nayeem or anyone who has the ability hit boundaries and make use of the powerplay...

Tigers_eye
October 15, 2010, 12:53 AM
This kind of stupidity should not be rewarded with a win. Come on Kiwis!
That is a little harsh don't you think, sir!! Stupidity has a reason.
+++
Win or lose, our batting still needs a lot of maturity (even now). The day when Imrul, Junaid and all others would cut down their stupid plays, we can take powerplays any time.
+++
The trend is Powerplay (1-15 and fielding side powerplay(usually 16-20)), are typically tackled by the top order. It took some time for the top order to understand how to play in those overs. Hit the bad balls, rotate the strike, don't take unnecessary risks.

Middle order and tail enders have yet to learn that. There lies the problem. I recall two games that BD utilized batting powerplay to their advantage in last two years. One Riyad's fluke innings and another Mash's blind hitting.
+++
So, guys have patience. Let them learn how to bat first and rotate strike. They will be able to use the powerplays to their advantage.

Powerplays should be taken judging the match situation. If wickets in hand, I'd prefer 40-45. My second choice would be 30-35 just to throw a curve ball to the opposition to mess up their bowling rotation.

Zeeshan
October 15, 2010, 01:58 AM
40-45

We desperately need to fix the PP issue before world cup.

akabir77
October 15, 2010, 06:53 PM
i still think we should take the pp during the first 30 overs if we have lost few wickets. cause our batsmen now can play proper shots and take the advantage. we might get 5 over 30 instead of 16 and lose 4 wickets. our tail enders cannot play proper shot and cannot hit like mash so they get out.

our bowlers including or starting from raz down sucks. they shouldn't be playing in PP they should be playing for 50 overs.

Antora
October 15, 2010, 08:22 PM
quoting myself from another thread, This is what Tamim told me when I asked him. It seems to me that they dont realise how important it is? :S and even if stats show that they get out in chunks during that time...they're going to have to learn at one stage. where other teams take advantage of it and make lots of runs... it seems like we struggle to make 20 -_-

he...answered everyone's questions although, I wasn't too satisfied with the answer to my question 0_o.
I decided to ask him about the batting PP and why it seems as though they leave it for the tail enders...and he goes '" everytime they take the batting PP when there are two set batsmen, as soon as they take the PP, the bastmen gets out :S '" like he told me how, everytime shakib take the batting PP he gets out the next over and so they decided to leave it till the end as they rather have proper batsmen playing than using the batting PP. Like I understand where he's coming from, but it just seemed like a bit of a lame excuse to me, I mean they're gonna have to learn at one stage? :S
But I decided to smile and nod at his answer :)

al-Sagar
October 15, 2010, 11:17 PM
amader desher songbidhane rule ase mone hoy
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)