PDA

View Full Version : Of fans and frustrations

AsifTheManRahman
October 16, 2010, 12:55 AM
bhai apni eto gorom keno? kew apnare tabij kose naki?
The truth is that I'm only angry when I'm discussing cricket and since I don't talk about the game much outside BC (most of the people in my social circle taking very little or no interest in the game, with a few being completely oblivious of the fact that the word isn't always used to refer to an insect), these days I'm always angry when I'm on the forums. Extremely angry and impatient.

The frustration was always there, but it piled up fast recently when 18 years of following the team continued to equal to squat as we started to look like we were incapable of winning anything. The interest in the game and the team declined and the losses to the associates were the last nails in the coffin.

It's good to see the team win for a change, but the anger persists. Because it's not just about regularly losing to associates or failing to beat better sides once in a while any more. The picture is bigger than that. I think we got it all wrong, right from the beginning. Our approach to the game is exactly what it shouldn't be and for that I blame everyone - the board, the management and the players. It looks like no one really has their goals set high enough, except for one man, who should be captain. There's another guy who makes a damn good player and has his name up on all sorts of leader boards, but other than that everyone seems to be a bloody Barbie doll undeserving of being where he is.

They talk about individual performances, about scoring 240 in ODIs, about incremental development, about letting people fail fifty times in a row before they start making contributions. I say screw all of that. None of that crap matters when you win a world cup. With the competition being staged at home, that should have been our goal since 2007. It doesn't matter how far-fetched the thought might have been, but setting meek goals will never get us anywhere. To be the best you have to aim to beat the best and with a world cup win - no matter how freakish it might be - come good players, good infrastructure and competitive leagues.

Yet no one seems to want to aim for the top. We laid out flat tracks to invite batting powerhouses to come over and steal our wives, instead of creating dust bowls in our basement to tie 'em up and torture 'em with slow bowling. We forgot how to win, went to Europe and lost to teams we're supposed to be better than. Sure, we're finally winning, but what took those idiots in the BCB so long to figure out the solutions to our coaching problems? Why do we still have losers like IK, JS and RH, who clearly don't seem to want to be the best that they can, in the team? Why are we harboring losers, why do we settle for less than what we can get?

A good coach should always inspire his players to become world beaters and with the world cup at home, to go on to win it. I'm no insider but I doubt anyone has ever thought of this, be it the coach himself or the players or anyone in the board for that matter. No one seems to have the vision or want to win badly enough.

So yes, I'm angry, far less analytical and out of patience. So much so that I could, for example, ban offenders with the flick of a finger, without thinking twice (not that I would misuse my...err...privileges, just wouldn't think twice about it). Enough of this crap, enough of all the discussions, enough of who's saying what on which newspaper. I don't give a crap. It's been a decade since the ODI status and I want the world cup, because nothing else really matters.

Zunaid
October 16, 2010, 12:57 AM
This deserves thread of its own - will move it

Zeeshan
October 16, 2010, 01:01 AM
And the Azrael's shinga like avy matches perfectly with this thomthoma atmosphere. Khaise amare.

magic boy
October 16, 2010, 01:07 AM
And the Azrael's shinga like avy matches perfectly with this thomthoma atmosphere. Khaise amare.

It seems more like a biyer shanai, uni nijei bajacchen >=D! (j/k)*mb run away*

BANFAN
October 16, 2010, 01:09 AM
I share the same opinion ATMR ............ Although Don't need to add any more words ...... We are just a laid back nation ... We need examples set by others to believe it can be done and we need a shephard to drive us to our goals. We haven't yet learnt to set goals and find our own ways to achieve it.

Dilscoop
October 16, 2010, 01:12 AM
What a rep. If I opened a thread right now, it most likely tod get merged and become a post. And you post and it becomes a thread :D

lamisa
October 16, 2010, 01:29 AM
well then i guess i am a retarded emotional fool!no matter what this team does,how many times i swear not to follow them anymore,i always end up following them anyways...

WarWolf
October 16, 2010, 01:29 AM
Good post Asif. You spoke many ppl's mind in few words.

Bond
October 16, 2010, 01:43 AM
Asif bhai I too am frustrated, angry and heartbroken, very well written, i like the way you think.

iDumb
October 16, 2010, 01:47 AM
It seems more like a biyer shanai,

Your comment remind me of a member named Orpheus on this forum. Good Job!!!

Whenever I am angry, i just beat my wife...btw you guys should try it.

Zeeshan
October 16, 2010, 01:55 AM
^ You remind me of Dipjol.

al-Sagar
October 16, 2010, 01:56 AM
Your comment remind me of a member named Orpheus on this forum. Good Job!!!

Whenever I am angry, i just beat my wife...btw you guys should try it.

anytime i see any of ur post it reminds me of Orpheus

iDumb
October 16, 2010, 02:08 AM
stick to the topic, you guys are making Asif more angrier....

I do think our progress has been very slow but many bad decisions have been taken that set us back good 5 to 6 years. Though I like Asif's inspirational jharu pitani writing styles, i do'nt agree with him that you should aim high.

iDumb
October 16, 2010, 02:13 AM
This deserves thread of its own

Why?

A series win make everyone angry all of a sudden that why it didn't come earlier? Anything we did different on this series from previous ones?

Something is going right no matter how angry all of you are...I call that progress!

shakibrulz
October 16, 2010, 02:19 AM
Sorry bro, can understand your frustrations, but your rant is a bit OTT.
There are many things like infrastructure, standard of first class cricket, etc which you has to improve. You can't just blame the coach for not motivating and all that crap.

Show me a few players who averages over 50 in the FC cricket? And you expect them to become run machines against international teams?

I'm not a bangladeshi, so I don't have much say in this regard. Just stating my opinion here.

Nocturnal
October 16, 2010, 02:38 AM
There are many things like infrastructure, standard of first class cricket, etc which you has to improve. You can't just blame the coach for not motivating and all that crap.

Show me a few players who averages over 50 in the FC cricket? And you expect them to become run machines against international teams?

I'm not a bangladeshi, so I don't have much say in this regard. Just stating my opinion here.

like you said: nail meets hammer! :)

Anher
October 16, 2010, 03:07 AM
Top post. Thanks.
For such a long time i have lost my interest to follow Bd cricket because of those loser mentality and not knowing to set ambitious targets or goal as mention by ATMR.

After playing over a decade professional cricket and having good coaches and training why we need to worry to lose against semi-professional team like Ireland/Netherlands every time we play them. We should just beat the crap out of them. Upset can happen but it seems every time we play them outside our contidion we give them extra credits and lose few matches in pathetic and helpless manner.

Goal to win the world Cup should have been set the day its decided it will be in our backyard or few yards away in ind/sri. You may say its unrealistic or i am overly optimistic but that would have been the right path and targets for officials, coaches, players what they need to achieve. We had enourmous amount of time. We saw great examples in underdog team like Srilanka, Pakistan at their time won the WC against all odds. They had Imran, Ranatunga like "Mastan" leader and We have Sakib. Target oriented coaches like Fountain, pont should hav been hire long before.

Now...we already won the series against kiwis, make it 4-0 and let Vettory, Gayle and co.. dont you dare to dream to win the World Cup in our backyards. Jamie Siddons should declare " We just want the WC, it should be ours. You want it?, fight for it". Signal the giant Ind/Aus to prepare to face the wrath of savertooth tiger. As for Ire/Sco/Netherlands openly declare we will smash you like worms.

Man, i am so pumped up to see tomorrow's GreenWash.;)

MohammedC
October 16, 2010, 04:52 AM
When I was 18/19 and watching England play Pakistan and Aussies on BBC (those days it was free to watch). I never thought in my lifetime I would watch Bangladesh play international cricket against top tier teams.

Our chance came in 1999 thousands turned up to support Bangladesh against New Zealand in Chelmsford for first game Bangladesh played in World Cup, It was an emotional day. We lost that game but everyone was happy to see their country man taking part in an international event. I can proudly say I was there.

But everyone was waiting for the Pakistan game. I could never get the ticket as it was sold out on the first day it came on the market even the indian game did not sell that fast. Luckily one of family friend who had a ticket but could not go because of business commitment gave me his ticket for free. I was a lucky man to have watched that famous win from the crowd.

I can understand since given the full membership Bangladesh took a lot of time to come where they are now.

I myself gave up on Bangladesh Cricket after 2003 WC. Thanks to WC 2007 and off-course discovering Banglacricket.com has revived my enthusiasm for Bangladesh Cricket.

In ten years of full mebership Bangladesh have improved, everyone knows that let see where they take us in next 10 years.

I am not giving up.

Haru-party
October 16, 2010, 05:00 AM
too much bangla cinema:umm:

Naimul_Hd
October 16, 2010, 05:12 AM
This Post could have been huge HIT if it had been written few years back.

I am sorry to say, for last couple of months Bangladesh has been playing good except odd lost against ireland and netherland. If losing against Ireland and netherland makes you sad, then dnt forget, even pakistan lost against Ireland and England lost against Netherlands in recent times.

But if you see overall progress, i would say, Bangladesh has improved a lot compare to other Test playing countries in recent times. Patience is the key, my friend. Dnt give up on our boys yet. They all are still early 20s. Let them play for few years more. I am sure, Tamim and Shakib Co. wont disappoint you.

WarWolf
October 16, 2010, 05:37 AM
I understand what some of the fans saying here. They find the thread irrelevant when BD is on a winning momentum. This is clearly understandable.

On the other hand, Asif has some very good points. His main anger is why don't we have killer mentality? It's absent in almost every where except in the mind set of a few players. Our board cannot think big, so does our team management and coaches. This is the reason the infrastructure hasn't improve and probably won't improve much in near future. Only a few players like Shakib, Tamim are trying to change the trend. They are bad boys who dare to dream out of the box.

Why don't we have any proper infrastructure even after 10 years of having test status?
Why our board had to wait such a long time to get some good bowling and fielding coach?
Why doesn't the head coach dream big?
Why the infrastructure for the world cup is still not 50% finished? (I have a great fear in ending up like Delhi Commonwealth games)
Why the same corrupt persons in the board are keeping their chairs in every govt? Definitely every govt is benefited by their corruption otherwise I don't see any other reason.
Why player hunting programs like pacer hunt is stopped?
How far is cricket decentralization? Where is big mouth Lota?

I may add a lot more things in the list. But I lost interest.

We have to understand that improvement without proper planning doesn't take far. It's true that we are improving. But the improvement won't take us far with such poor planning, mentality and corruption.

Naimul_Hd
October 16, 2010, 05:50 AM
We have to understand that improvement without proper planning doesn't take far. It's true that we are improving. But the improvement won't take us far with such poor planning, mentality and corruption.

I understand what you meant. But unless players dnt perform on the field, you cant expect Board officials to change their long practiced trend of corruption and poor planning. It has to be players who will push officials to change their poor mentality and corruptions.

Look at other countries. Most of the players have upper hand on their board officials because the board is earning huge amount based on players performance. Since Bangladesh was not performing well, these BCB officials didnt feel urge to change themselves. They were happy to continue their crappy work and to get paid. Only Saber Hossain was exceptional in this regard.

Now, as shakib, tamim are playing good, they can push officials to work harder for their betterment. What i want to say is that, its players who have to demand more and more for better infrastructure including field, talent hunt, domestic leagues etc. and make them work.

Its our bad luck that most of the BCB officials are bureaucrat who are not devoted into cricket. We need another Salah Uddin (BFF President) in BCB to make progress faster.

zainab
October 16, 2010, 06:04 AM
I have been a frustrated and many times a happy fan, but never angry. I like the BD team because of their spirit, I think that they have guts to take on the big teams of the world.

yaseer
October 16, 2010, 07:00 AM

Quoting your post because my reaction to the thread is almost similar to yours.

There are lot be frustrated about the improvement of cricket as a whole in our country over the last 18 years. But we have to have the practical scenario of Bangladesh (everything - social, political, economical) in mind as well. At least we are surely going forward in cricket compare to other aspects in Bangladesh.

Zunaid
October 16, 2010, 07:12 AM
I have to agree with ATMR here. yes, I am frustrated. Yes, I am angry. I am angry because we could have been where we are today many years ago. Nobody here has given up. We have been, are and will be Bangladesh cricket fans no matter what.

We tend to be too forgiving.

Where's the anger?

Where's the anger at all the corrupt politicos and sport officials that run our sports to the ground?
Where's the anger at the coaches who set the bar so low?
Where's the anger at some of the players for their frail ego? Walking off from training at the drop of a hat?

Grow a pair.
Aim high.

Win.

mona
October 16, 2010, 08:14 AM
Where's the anger?

Where's the anger at all the corrupt politicos and sport officials that run our sports to the ground?
Where's the anger at some of the players for their frail ego? Walking off from training at the drop of a hat?

Grow a pair.
Aim high.

Win.

This.

But I would say it should come from the players, not from us. If not anger (because being emotional adversely affects your game), perhaps some indignation and spirit.

We fans are plenty angry, the countless threads and posts against JS, Lotus, BCB can attest to that. Then we can do a 180 and forgive and forget everything after winning. We're fans, that's what we do. But the players themselves? Why can't they be angry about their situation, at their board, at being the punching bag of cricket ever since we started playing internationally. Shakib has the attitude exactly right, and that's why he's so damn good. The others need to stop whining.

alibangali
October 16, 2010, 08:28 AM
What ATMR said is and should be the core of any team aspiring for greatness. We may be on a high at the moment because of the wins but we will not be able to maintain this without the passion and desire for more success. Its true that we need infrastructure, coaching, development and many of the other visible elements to drive the train along. But the passion, desire and hunger is the rail tracks and without those we will derail from the path of success.

Ajfar
October 16, 2010, 09:34 AM
Holy cow my one question lead to all this.

Zunaid
October 16, 2010, 09:35 AM

Thanks!

Tigers_eye
October 16, 2010, 09:35 AM
I do share a similar frustration, however, I understand the reality as well.

Cultural plays a big role. The corrupt ways of doing things (at home) is the #1 barrier. I say at home because the same people coming out of Bd in foreign land maintains law and order with out any fuss. That comes from with in. Unless and untill our nation can overcome that we will always be under achievers in all sectors.

Anger leads drastic decision making which eventually ends up in to something bad. In this case, may be not watching Bd games (out of anger and frustration). That leads to not being able to drink the sweat nector when that one guy (as you mentioned) takes us over the rope.

For those who don't want to do anything and just blabber online, accept the facts and have patience. We are improving (could have been alot worse). For others, do something whatever you can do to advance your agenda!!

Ashfaq
October 16, 2010, 09:36 AM
I have to agree with ATMR here. yes, I am frustrated. Yes, I am angry. I am angry because we could have been where we are today many years ago. Nobody here has given up. We have been, are and will be Bangladesh cricket fans no matter what.

Where's the anger?

Grow a pair.
Aim high.

Win.

Look at the bigger picture. We Bangladeshis as a nation have lost our anger. We are becoming more and more resigned to our corrupt politicians and their ill-though out policies. Before anything, we need a revolution that will sweep aside the dark sides of our politics that is so unashamedly being displayed every day. Where's the accountability of the average persons? Why doesn't anybody protest after being screwed-over? where's the bloody spirit?

Rifat
October 16, 2010, 10:09 AM

yes, yes, you are one of the legendary members of Banglacricket. :)

Rifat
October 16, 2010, 10:12 AM
I wasn't angry, I was dissapointed. why waste my anger? I have more important things to get angry about

Sports/ Cricket is just a lesuretime/entertainment for me, not a place to get angry. although it is very easy to get angry.(and i have gotten angry before!)

Agree with what most of you said! we should have been in this position a couple of years ago or so. but hey, everything happens for a reason ;)

just take the time and be thankful that we even reached it, as opposed to never reaching it.

set bigger goals. plan ahead. success will come inshaAllah.

AsifTheManRahman
October 16, 2010, 10:13 AM
too much bangla cinema:umm:

And your crying thread isn't?
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)

Farhad
October 16, 2010, 11:09 AM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c362/mild_insomnia/WhySoMad.jpg

Zeeshan
October 16, 2010, 01:08 PM
I wasn't angry, I was dissapointed. why waste my anger? I have more important things to get angry about

Sports/ Cricket is just a lesuretime/entertainment for me, not a place to get angry. although it is very easy to get angry.(and i have gotten angry before!)

Agree with what most of you said! we should have been in this position a couple of years ago or so. but hey, everything happens for a reason ;)

just take the time and be thankful that we even reached it, as opposed to never reaching it.

set bigger goals. plan ahead. success will come inshaAllah.

True. To rehash something from my fb status update...."ex-prodigy" Norbert Weiner who got his phd at 17 from Harvard even admitted "Creativity cannot be hurried." He was put to test by Russell and found it even hard to cope up with many technical matters at the end.

Similarly, just be happy that it took a long, meandering, arduous, tortuous process to reach this height. Rifat you are right, whatever happens happens for a reason and sometimes this is the best, optimal, efficient route.

It's best we build a strong foundation now, learn from our countless mistakes, than just "hurry" to stardom.

Good points Rifuda.

WarWolf
October 16, 2010, 01:17 PM
Similarly, just be happy that it took a long, meandering, arduous, tortuous process to reach this height. Rifat you are right, whatever happens happens for a reason and sometimes this is the best, optimal, efficient route.

It's best we build a strong foundation now, learn from our countless mistakes, than just "hurry" to stardom.

Good points Rifuda.

I beg to differ.

A general feeling now in BC is we have finally broken some ice and every body is really happy about it. Me too. But there is something else to think about.

Finally some good things started to happen. But this is temporary. This thing will not take us far away. When you have a whole process wrong you cannot expect the outcome to be correct all the way long. Some times a wrong process can give output of some small potion in the correct way. That's what you can expect at maximum.

I wrote in a previous post.Unless some major factors changes our cricket will not go the distance. This may sound harsh, but that's the brutal truth.

auntu
October 16, 2010, 01:25 PM
Good one ATMR.
I liked the passion.

iDumb
October 16, 2010, 01:40 PM
guys guys wait till WC finishes. I think Bangladesh will be the biggest surprise package in this world cup. People not following us have no idea what a unified full strength Bangladesh team can do in our backyard.

Haru-party
October 16, 2010, 02:31 PM
And your crying thread isn't?
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)

noooooooooooooooooooooo

Nocturnal
October 16, 2010, 03:06 PM
everyone should read this article by shakib al hasan in PA yesterday.
Some of you will get few ans for sure:
http://www.prothom-alo.com/detail/date/2010-10-16/news/101692

Fazal
October 16, 2010, 03:23 PM
http://www.steppingoutflorida.com/wp-content/uploads/ComputerFrustration.jpg
Frustrated ATRM with the hammer.

al Furqaan
October 16, 2010, 03:46 PM
I simply cannot accept that many teams, if any at all, would develop at a quicker pace than we have. Has anyone ever stopped to think what 10 years is in the context of this universe? Fine eff that, what is 10 years in the context of human history?

You cannot achieve parity in 10 years. Look at New Zealand or West Indies. It might be unreasonable for them to say "we will win the world cup in 2023". But you want, nay expect, us to get to that level from associate days?

I understand its about the drive, its about setting goals. But goals must be realistic. For a high school drop out to think of winning the Nobel prize in an academic field is just not right. And we are that high school drop out. We didn't deserve test status on merit. On potential, yes. But on merit, eff no!

There were always gonna be more downs than ups.

Thats what makes the present time so rewarding for those who stood by the team when we lost to canada, when we lost to ireland, and when we lost ot the netherlands.

And you know what, we could win the world cup in a few months - yes, the possibility is there. But we'll still struggle to clean sweep associates outside of our own conditions.

You can't worry about losing to the associates, you have to worry about beating the big boys.

I'd much rather have a few losses to associates in rain-shortened matches and upset losses with a wins against the G8, than clean sweeping the minnows 100-0, and having a grand total of 2 wins against G8 sides.

But mayb thats just me.

layperson
October 16, 2010, 04:25 PM
Most of the anger and frustration shown on this thread is OTT I feel. Moreover even though there is some merit in being frustrated with the slow pace of developement of bd cricket, there is a time for everything. The anger, outrage shown here lost whatever little credibiltiy it had because of the timing. BD just whitewashed the NZ cricket team which is a first for us !!! Whether or not we have crossed the hurdle of consistency is another issue which we will all find out in due time by looking at their results in the next one year. At this time i am ecstatic that BD has achieved this wonderful feat. This discussion on this thread can take place another day at a more mellow tone.

Huda
October 16, 2010, 04:29 PM
Yeah good point, given our circumstances you place any team in the world like that you would get similiar results. Look at Zimbabwe after they had to rebuild from scratch again in 2003, its 7 years now, they haven't suddenly become the team they once were. In a few years when Chanderpaul retires, maybe add in Sarwan as well, the Windies, NZ, us, will be there competing for places 6,7,8. On top of that you wait till the Lankans batting start suffering because they'll be there for the taking as well. Wait another 10-20 years, i have no doubt we will be mixing it with the big boys, we have just got ours engines started.

FagunerAgun
October 16, 2010, 04:59 PM

Where's the anger?

Grow a pair.
Aim high.

Win.
Oh mai! I can see a different Dr. Z here today.
These smart politico people have handcuffed the gullible BD common people by unemployment, cadership, hunger, poweroutage etc.., no way out of their 'dark cage' until some miracle happens.

Fahim
October 16, 2010, 06:47 PM
yallah re bhai mari lise

Zeeshan
October 16, 2010, 06:50 PM
Frustrated ATRM with the hammer.

More like... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCKqlq2D4i8

Btw Good post Al-Furqaan

kalpurush
October 16, 2010, 09:45 PM
well then i guess i am a retarded emotional fool!no matter what this team does,how many times i swear not to follow them anymore,i always end up following them anyways...
Same here, but I do NOT lack HOPE!!! :)

kalpurush
October 16, 2010, 09:47 PM
What a rep. If I opened a thread right now, it most likely tod get merged and become a post. And you post and it becomes a thread :D

Being an ATMR would take for some 20 years or so :)

kalpurush
October 16, 2010, 10:00 PM
I understand what some of the fans saying here. They find the thread irrelevant when BD is on a winning momentum. This is clearly understandable.

This is the right time to post a thread like this. You have to hit the iron when it is hot and red. We shouldn't carry away just after winning a series - Bokulpur bohudur. We have bigger goals to be achieved my friends :)

yaseer
October 16, 2010, 10:08 PM
We have lots of problems as a nation and we can go on forever to identify it. Cricket is also into it. THOUGH it is late, THOUGH it is not enough, BUT we have achieved something in cricket. It is time to celebrate, take the good things out of it and aim high to go forward. This is the way of going forward to me. Throwing out frustration and anger in the time of achievement is not the way of going forward.

MohammedC
October 16, 2010, 11:30 PM
LOL

Danni: He does not like you.

RazabQ
October 17, 2010, 02:11 AM
Asif er eto WC er shopno hoise ... Bamon hate chaad ...
Clearly we have under-achieved but honestly even if we had set our expectations high, done everything right, we'd still not be a powerhouse today.

Ahmed_B
October 17, 2010, 04:36 AM
^Questions that are never answered..

Look at the bigger picture. We Bangladeshis as a nation have lost our anger. We are becoming more and more resigned to our corrupt politicians and their ill-though out policies. Before anything, we need a revolution that will sweep aside the dark sides of our politics that is so unashamedly being displayed every day.
^Unfortunately, so very true..

I'm in complete agreement with ATMR's comment here. Even this series win isn't enough to cheer me up for a long-enough time. Trust me..a 4-0 whitewash will not be able to take off the load of hopelessness from my heart. It is not because we win occasionally. Not even because we sometimes lose to minor teams. The reasons are much more permanent than that:

-This NZ side is currently in a very bad shape (Arguable verdict..but thats what I finally believe). They may be whitewashed by us, but that still doesn't make us invincible. We are still a vulnerable side.
-Certain individual players ATM, are glowing high..but just look at the others! They are still in shambles...just like before.
-As the old saying goes: Its always tougher to retain your pride after u've earned it. Occasional glories don't relieve me anymore. Because I simply know this very team will start releasing its inner cowards the moment it faces a currently-in-form tough opponent.
-The backbone: It just isn't there. The whole system is still based on experimental pool of national-team and ex-national-team players periodically coached by a hired high or mid-profile international coach. The best that it can take us..is at the inconsistent platform where PAK or WI are ATM. What's frustrating is that..our management has got plenty of occasional successes to hide behind or even claim that they're pioneering this and that to take cricket to a 'new-digital-level' in the country. Who is gonna bring them to justice?
-We, in our culture, seriously lack the ability of 'objective-judgment'. To us..everything is subjective. Everything is either AL or BNP. There is no mechanism to take our cricket out of this frame of torture..

Can add a lot more.. but lets just stop here..

WarWolf
October 17, 2010, 04:40 AM
Top post Bashir bhai. You echoed my mind.

Eshen
October 17, 2010, 06:51 AM
Well, unlike ATMR, I find this 4-0 very refreshing, especially after the horrible summer we had. However, our batting, imo, stayed as dismissal as ever barring Shakib (even SN did not look convincing to me despite his one good innings).

I think even Zimbabweans will handle our spinners better than New Zealanders did, we will be in deep trouble if we have to keep relying on them so heavily.

Ehsan
October 17, 2010, 01:25 PM
Well, unlike ATMR, I find this 4-0 very refreshing, especially after the horrible summer we had. However, our batting, imo, stayed as dismissal as ever barring Shakib (even SN did not look convincing to me despite his one good innings).

I think even Zimbabweans will handle our spinners better than New Zealanders did, we will be in deep trouble if we have to keep relying on them so heavily.

I have to go with Eshen. After following BD Cricket for 13 years, this 4-0 feels pretty good. I used to be angry, but I got used to getting disappointed over the years while I kept pulling all-nighters after all-nighters. The disappointments got the better of me, and I modified myself to not witness anymore of those. Just like last night, I gave up following the game after BD was all out for 174. Somewhere inside me there was a voice that may be we can pull it off, but the pain inside me that accumulated over the years forced me to go to sleep.

I do agree with Asaad that the goals should be realistic, otherwise there is no point of setting goals if you can't reach them. But obviously goals should be set to achieve bigger things. Regardless, I truly understand the pain of the fans when they are expecting too much. Therefore, I would suggest setting two different goals - one for the team/management and one for the fans. For example, I think it would be realistic for the team and management to set a goal to reach to the semis or quarter-final. But the fans should be told to set their expectation to doing well in the second round. This way the team and the management would do everything (hopefully!) to get to semis or quarter-final, and if they slip then the fans would not have to suffer a lot of pain. I am afraid to set expectations that we cannot achieve and then become broken hearted. Enough of this, I refuse to let my heart get torn apart again and again.

My support for the Tigers will always be there. I will cherish their wins and be by their side when they lose. We have just started to walk with the big boys, but I hope we will soon be able to run with them. Lets hope that the team management and players will make winning their habit.

On the current batsmen, I am okay with IK. I think he has been trying to be consistent. However, JS and RH has done nothing as of yet. Jahurul Islam would be a much better choice than RH. He has hunger to improve and bat well. Probably when TI comes back, JS and SN will fight for their spot. Hopefully it will bring out the best from them.

Eshen
October 17, 2010, 02:47 PM
On the current batsmen, I am okay with IK. I think he has been trying to be consistent. However, JS and RH has done nothing as of yet. Jahurul Islam would be a much better choice than RH. He has hunger to improve and bat well. Probably when TI comes back, JS and SN will fight for their spot. Hopefully it will bring out the best from them.
IMO, both ZS and SN should be kicked out of the ODI team once Tamim returns. Both live in the glory of one good innings for too long. Their horrible fielding (that's so important in ODI format) certainly don't make up for their inconsistent batting.

Jahurul should be given the #3 slot while a newcomer (Shamsur or Shuvagoto) should be tried at #4.

kalpurush
October 17, 2010, 08:20 PM
IMO, both ZS and SN should be kicked out of the ODI team once Tamim returns. Both live in the glory of one good innings for too long. Their horrible fielding (that's so important in ODI format) certainly don't make up for their inconsistent batting.

Jahurul should be given the #3 slot while a newcomer (Shamsur or Shuvagoto) should be tried at #4.
Hei Eshen bhai, 100% agree with you :)

beshideshi
October 18, 2010, 06:44 AM
I think the lack of killer instinct is embedded in our nation. Its taught in our culture to be kind, to be polite, to be the 'weaker' one if one must say. And that has just translated into the cricket team's mentality.

I think Zunaid bro did an excellent job bringing ATMR's post up here, and the timing could not have been better. Just because we won 4-0 doesn't mean we are suddenly in the 'happy place'. We still have several things to sort out, many question to be answered[asked by many in this thread already].

But in a country where you can't pay the registration fee of your land, a parking ticket without bribing the officer, how realistic is it to expect a perfect board? We will always have one or two morons in the top tier of BCB officials, we will always have people who prefer their own gains over the country's, despite all this we will still have to go forward.

I have been saying this for a while, that Bangladesh team has improved a lot over the past 2-3 years. And if you had a scale of improvement, Bangladesh will be #1 or #2 for improvement in the past 10 years[from associate to a semi-big boy]. With out current bunch, i expect the improvement to be consistent over the next few years and by 2015 I expect our team to be challenging Aus in Aus and beating WIN/NZ at home with their lungis on.

Another thing that was ALWAYS missing from the Bangladesh team; the killer instinct. I find it hard to believe, how professional sportsmen could go to play without expecting to win. If you don't expect to win, then just sit home and beat Australia by an innings and 432 runs on Cricket 2007. But in this series, I have seen the players eager to win, more now than ever before. They were not scared to go to the opponents face and say " i am here to win, if you want to win as well you have to take it from right under my nose", and unless we have 11 players with that mentality we will not be playing at our optimum level. The good thing is, the captain[Shakib or Mashrafe] are really eager to win, they have a strong backbone and never give up without a fight. If they can transfer this mentality to everyone else, we will be causing some serious head turns in 2011.

And to ATMR bro, etodin jokhon koshto kore support korsen, ar koedin ektu koren na. Dekhen na ki hoe.