PDA

View Full Version : Is Ian Pont the best bowling coach in the world?

LBW103
October 17, 2010, 07:04 PM
As a UK Bangla, I am so proud!!! We are all rejoicing. The change in the team is visible and the fast bowlers are having far more control and understanding of what they are doing. I have NEVER seen this before. They have great yorkers, more swing and bowl good lengths with slower balls.

I know he has only been over there 4 weeks and has hardly had time to unpack his kit. But is Ian Pont the new bowling coach simply the best bowling coach in the world?

AsifTheManRahman
October 17, 2010, 07:05 PM
No, there are plenty more who are equally good or even better. Troy Cooley for instance.

al-Sagar
October 17, 2010, 07:51 PM
he may not be the best but he is one of the better ones.

still needs to a lot of more work with some of the main and reserve bowlers and also perhaps with some local bowling coaches. also needs to improve the test match bowling qualities of these players

LBW103
October 17, 2010, 08:13 PM
But Cooley and others have had great bowlers already to work with. Pont has had to get our bowlers up to compete with a side ranked 4 levels above and prove it.

Dhruvo
October 17, 2010, 08:15 PM
As a UK Bangla, I am so proud!!! We are all rejoicing. The change in the team is visible and the fast bowlers are having far more control and understanding of what they are doing. I have NEVER seen this before. They have great yorkers, more swing and bowl good lengths with slower balls.

I know he has only been over there 4 weeks and has hardly had time to unpack his kit. But is Ian Pont the new bowling coach simply the best bowling coach in the world?
Whats a UK Bangla ?

He's probably not the best bowling coach in the world, but he's seems like a good one.

Rifat
October 17, 2010, 08:17 PM
He has definitely had some impact. Rubel started bowling economical since this series :)

How many other bowling coaches in the world do you know that can bring drastic changes in a national team's bowling policy within a very limited amount of time and have such a positive impact?

a lot of credit should go to him :)

BanArafath
October 17, 2010, 08:19 PM
I need to see Pont is doing pace bowling camp with bowlers ( Shafiul, Rubel, Shahadat, Rasel, Dolar ) for a month before the Zimbabwe series. Shafiul and Rubel certainly has the potential to become geniune fast bowlers by the help of Pont's coaching.

nycpro96
October 17, 2010, 08:32 PM
Ok, declaring Pont the best because of one good series is way too drastic. I will agree that he definitely brought a huge positive change to Rubel. I was always a big Rubel fan even when many others criticized him. I always felt that he had something special, something that I haven't seen in any Bangladeshi pacer. I just hope Pont can keep up the good work and make Rubel better and better. I'd also love it if Rubel could bowl with the line and length he had bowled this series and bowled at around 140 kph. That would be fantastic.

Blah
October 17, 2010, 08:36 PM
If you asked your question like this:

Is Ian Pont the best bowling coach BD had so far?

I would say most definitely yes. You have to understand that Pont is a level 4 coach who specializes in bowling coaching.

The reason that we are seeing so much improvement in such a short time because I think while our BD ballers are decent pace-men; they lacked in correct fundamentals (Pont made a comment about this on facebook in reply to an image of Rubel balling). I think at international level there are not much whole some improvement you can do, small subtle changes adds up in to huge improvement. I think Pont is making those small changes and making the right calls.

If pont was working with Aussie or England team, we wouldn't notice much improvement, because most of them are already decent in their fundamentals and you can only get so much better.

So I would say Pont is the best coach for teams who are lacking in fundamentals (ie, BD, Zim, NZ, WI).

I would go as far as saying that if JS leaves after WC, Pont should get the job of the head coach and we should get a separate batting coach to replace JS.

cricket bd
October 17, 2010, 08:43 PM
good topic welldone

WarWolf
October 17, 2010, 09:29 PM
Uff.....

LBW103
October 17, 2010, 09:45 PM
I need to see Pont is doing pace bowling camp with bowlers ( Shafiul, Rubel, Shahadat, Rasel, Dolar ) for a month before the Zimbabwe series. Shafiul and Rubel certainly has the potential to become geniune fast bowlers by the help of Pont's coaching.

Don't the players all go off now to play National league or something? Not sure Pont will be given the bowlers to work with.

Naimul_Hd
October 17, 2010, 09:45 PM
How many bowling coaches have you seen before declaring Ian Pont as "THE BEST BOWLING COACH IN THE WORLD" ???

No doubt, Pont has some positive effect on our boys and that is why he has been hired before WC. BCB should negotiate with him to retain for longer period to have ever lasting effect on our pacers otherwise, our pacers will lose the edge again.

LBW103
October 17, 2010, 09:51 PM
Ok, declaring Pont the best because of one good series is way too drastic. I will agree that he definitely brought a huge positive change to Rubel. I was always a big Rubel fan even when many others criticized him. I always felt that he had something special, something that I haven't seen in any Bangladeshi pacer. I just hope Pont can keep up the good work and make Rubel better and better. I'd also love it if Rubel could bowl with the line and length he had bowled this series and bowled at around 140 kph. That would be fantastic.

It wasn't based on one series I mentioned it. He coached Dale Steyn when he was wild and inaccurate, and helped Darren Gough to extend his career in England by 4 years with some action changes. I have seen his website and there are lots of bowlers talking about Pont. He even once worked with Shoaib Akthar! This series has proved that something is going on with the fast bowlers that we now have the ability to control the ball and temperaments better.

All I am saying is it is a blessing we did not get Klusener. Pont is the best DEVELOPMENT coach in the world then if you agree with me. He develops bowlers far better than anyone else and this is what I meant.

LBW103
September 29, 2011, 03:31 AM
Have the bowlers got worse since he left? Could we bring back Champaka perhaps?

Rabz
September 29, 2011, 04:08 AM
No Champa, jorina, bobita, kobori, shabana or popi.

And the Prasad will not suit our stomach, but we will eat it anyway.

max410
September 29, 2011, 04:39 AM
it does not matter who is the best coach u can go and take tips form many coaches but u need to know what work's best for you in terms of action run up swing delivery etc.. u need to find out what works best for you ,you have to find your own rhythm no coach can help you if u don't practice with dedication .

Boomerang
September 29, 2011, 05:02 AM
Nope
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

TIKBoss
September 29, 2011, 09:04 AM
He is very good but I don't believe in the theory that he changed everything in few months but just as he left the bowlers magically became good. But I do think he will be a good choice for the bowling coach position.

TIKBoss
September 29, 2011, 09:06 AM
it does not matter who is the best coach u can go and take tips form many coaches but u need to know what work's best for you in terms of action run up swing delivery etc.. u need to find out what works best for you ,you have to find your own rhythm no coach can help you if u don't practice with dedication .

:up: if the player himself is not dedicated enough then no coach in the world can help you.

TigerEz
September 29, 2011, 10:29 AM
Yes he is but wish bd still had him!

lamisa
September 29, 2011, 01:43 PM
how many coaches do u guys know here to compare?

shuziburo
September 29, 2011, 04:23 PM
I don't whether he is the best, but he definitely is one of the best.

LBW103
September 29, 2011, 04:59 PM
I was guided by the search for "World's Best Bowling Coach" to see who came up mentioned more than anyone on Google, which is independent: http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=worlds+best+fast+bowling+coach&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&ei=_emETpkpiMLxA-HxjFM#hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&sa=X&ei=_emETsLrBsSh0QWvw-XUDw&ved=0CBsQvwUoAQ&q=world's+best+fast+bowling+coach&spell=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=6aaae719d3ddeddf&biw=1435&bih=763

The list of names of the greatest fast bowling coaches always seem include Ian Pont, Dennis Lillee and Troy Cooley. Only Pont works with world class players and young players. Lillee and Cooley only seem to work with established players already. I don't know if this makes a difference. People pay to see Pont privately, but not with Cooley or Lillee. I am not sure what the determining factor is for deciding who is the best coach to be honest but I feel Pont is the most creative and progressive. He is the only one who has written a technical book on the subject and coaches speed as well as accuracy. Cooley talks much about injury preventing. Lillee is old now.

TIKBoss
September 29, 2011, 05:27 PM
I was guided by the search for "World's Best Bowling Coach" to see who came up mentioned more than anyone on Google, which is independent: http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=worlds+best+fast+bowling+coach&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&redir_esc=&ei=_emETpkpiMLxA-HxjFM#hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&sa=X&ei=_emETsLrBsSh0QWvw-XUDw&ved=0CBsQvwUoAQ&q=world's+best+fast+bowling+coach&spell=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=6aaae719d3ddeddf&biw=1435&bih=763

The list of names of the greatest fast bowling coaches always seem include Ian Pont, Dennis Lillee and Troy Cooley. Only Pont works with world class players and young players. Lillee and Cooley only seem to work with established players already. I don't know if this makes a difference. People pay to see Pont privately, but not with Cooley or Lillee. I am not sure what the determining factor is for deciding who is the best coach to be honest but I feel Pont is the most creative and progressive. He is the only one who has written a technical book on the subject and coaches speed as well as accuracy. Cooley talks much about injury preventing. Lillee is old now.

I always thought Lillee was only a coach because he was a great bowler, he coached many indian bowlers and they have yet to produce a fast bowler :floor:

Dhakablues
September 29, 2011, 05:28 PM
He is no doubt a very good coach and we were lucky that we had him for the breif perid that we did. BCB definitely had to consider their budget but were not prudent enough to invest in future as Sri Lankans or England has been doing. We go for whoever we can find with the money and hope for the best. That happend to our Soccer team and we all know where they stand now!!! Loitta Kamal being an accountant, he will only think of balancing the books than investing for future..

I hope that once we do have the franchises set up for BPL, one of the regions will invite him to be the coach, as I am expecting that they may have long term plans and will invest in good coaching staff.

Dhakablues
September 29, 2011, 05:29 PM
I always thought Lillee was only a coach because he was a great bowler, he coached many indian bowlers and they have yet to produce a fast bowler :floor:

He coached at MRF Foundation, which did produce players like Chaminda Vaas and our own Mashrafee bin Mortaza!!

shuziburo
September 29, 2011, 06:33 PM
He is no doubt a very good coach and we were lucky that we had him for the breif perid that we did. BCB definitely had to consider their budget but were not prudent enough to invest in future as Sri Lankans or England has been doing. We go for whoever we can find with the money and hope for the best. That happend to our Soccer team and we all know where they stand now!!! Loitta Kamal being an accountant, he will only think of balancing the books than investing for future..

I hope that once we do have the franchises set up for BPL, one of the regions will invite him to be the coach, as I am expecting that they may have long term plans and will invest in good coaching staff.

I don't think he is thinking about the team like an accountant. A good accountant takes a long-term view and tries to maximize profit. Clearly, having a successful team is the easiest way to increase profit. He is a politician in or out of BCB.

TIKBoss
September 29, 2011, 06:51 PM
He coached at MRF Foundation, which did produce players like Chaminda Vaas and our own Mashrafee bin Mortaza!!

yea but i was talking about FAST bowlers, which is what ian pont is supposed to specialize in. Fast as in waqar or donald.

shuziburo
September 29, 2011, 07:16 PM
yea but i was talking about FAST bowlers, which is what ian pont is supposed to specialize in. Fast as in waqar or donald.

Didn't Pont coach Steyn when he was coming up?

TIKBoss
September 29, 2011, 09:03 PM
Didn't Pont coach Steyn when he was coming up?

Yea Ian pont did help in Steyn's development