PDA

View Full Version : Can series win/whitewash be a fluke?

Kabir
October 19, 2010, 09:15 AM
Amid all the changes brought to the team management, coaching staff, etc...we saw an immediate impact. The unthinkable has become a reality...a comprehensive series win with a whitewash against NZ...a top-8 team.

Call me a pessimist, but I still think it's a master of all flukes...a fluke at its grandest scale.

Don't call me an idiot for saying this - I just happen to have enough bad experiences with our bangla boys and can't seem to forget what happened last summer.

Your thoughts please.

Note: The Yes/No response is on purpose - there's no "i don't know" or "time will tell" answer. The poll will also be valid until 14 days from today.

Zeeshan
October 19, 2010, 09:16 AM
Poll?

Kabir
October 19, 2010, 09:18 AM
Poll?

Dude...you're faster than the machine. Immediate system check :D

Zeeshan
October 19, 2010, 09:20 AM
To answer your question, of course not. I am not saying like Jafarullah Sharafat that had the target was under 100, we'd still win (wait...you never know if that gordov junaid didn't drop the catch)...but Kiwis basically had a cold feet coming to foreign conditions and getting acclimatized. Besides the first win had domino effect which resulted in tremendous home crowd energy. When you got like what 20,000? people cheering for you, it's no damn fluke if you get all amped up and starts to perform for your country.

Kabir
October 19, 2010, 09:26 AM
To be fair, the first game was pure bad luck for NZ. I know the D/L method and all that...but look at the score, they would have been well on target.

shakibrulz
October 19, 2010, 09:26 AM
I don't think this is a fluke, but yeah it is some sub par cricket from NZ and some very good cricket from BD. Fielding except a drop catches has been phenomenal, pace bowling especially Rubel has improved miles. And last but not the least - IceMan at his best.

shakibrulz
October 19, 2010, 09:28 AM
To be fair, the first game was pure bad luck for NZ. I know the D/L method and all that...but look at the score, they would have been well on target.
They couldn't chase a low total in the last game, forget about chasing a bigger total after losing 4 quick wickets.

Zeeshan
October 19, 2010, 09:34 AM
How can something be fluke and at a stretch at the same time? It's absolutely contradictory in nature. So mars-colliding-with-jupiter if BD wins the world cup that's fluke? What's your enough sampling to reach the level of non-fluke? All the near-wins and years of hard work plus drastic changes in the management and coaches led up to this grand finale. Not fluke.

Kabir
October 19, 2010, 09:41 AM
Fluke may not be the right term for this. "Fluke at a grand scale" may be.

capslock
October 19, 2010, 09:44 AM
This is a poorly put together poll. I would suggest you amend the choices by adding at least another option beyond a simple 'yes' and 'no'. If not, the poll will be closed.

WarWolf
October 19, 2010, 09:57 AM
Kabir

The series win is not a fluke. We won it by good bowling and fielding. Batters doesn't get much credit IMO.

Just look at the low scores posted by our team. I am sure that the best bowling side in the world wouldn't be able to defend such poor totals regularly against top batting sides. The poor batting from NZers made it possible. This may be because of lack of team spirit (may be due to losing the first game), poor form, lack of experience in the batting dept etc etc.

I am very happy with the achievements. But we have to understand we won't be so much lucky every series. We need to grow pairs to post big totals. Otherwise we will have to continue regular defeats.

PoorFan
October 19, 2010, 09:58 AM
It was not fluke, but heat.

Kabir
October 19, 2010, 10:05 AM
This is a poorly put together poll. I would suggest you amend the choices by adding at least another option beyond a simple 'yes' and 'no'. If not, the poll will be closed.

The last thing I want to do is get into a feud over a poll. So I shall ask - what is your guidelines for the poll? If you have none, then try not to pose personal judgment in closing the poll.

Kabir
October 19, 2010, 10:13 AM
Just look at the low scores posted by our team. I am sure that the best bowling side in the world wouldn't be able to defend such poor totals regularly against top batting sides. The poor batting from NZers made it possible. This may be because of lack of team spirit (may be due to losing the first game), poor form, lack of experience in the batting dept etc etc.

I am very happy with the achievements. But we have to understand we won't be so much lucky every series. We need to grow pairs to post big totals. Otherwise we will have to continue regular defeats.

Good post.

See that's my point - this was perhaps NZ's lowest point in batting in their recent history. I agree we bowled well, and fielded amazingly - but isn't that also something that we've failed to do almost all the time? My point is - it's too soon for such a victory given our recent performance. I know the team is improving - but I wouldn't expect another magic like this in the next few months. Yes, if we continue to improve (which doesn't happen overnight), we will continue to do better.

WarWolf
October 19, 2010, 10:16 AM
By the way, missing Shamim mia much. Onek din tar kono poll pai na. Mon tai kharap lagtese.

Spitfire_x86
October 19, 2010, 10:20 AM
Fluke in the sense that no matter how well we play we won't see similar result against top 8 teams in near future.

Zeeshan
October 19, 2010, 10:22 AM
Fluke in the sense that no matter how well we play we won't see similar result against top 8 teams in near future.

I am willing to bet BD will knockout India in WC. What's gonna be at stake?

roman
October 19, 2010, 10:23 AM
You could call it a fluke if the series had only 2 games, but 4 wins in a row I dont think its a fluke.
But to be honest i wasnt fully satisfied with the batting. It was really terrible. We got the series because NZ was struggling to play our spin. With this batting performance you cant go that far. NZ didnt perform well and thats why we won the series, but it was not a fluke.

sadhat
October 19, 2010, 10:24 AM
Lets wait till ZIM series before casting your vote. I did not. The reason is that I am not sure its fluke or good days for BD + bad days for NZ. But the way we are celebrating, it may cost ZIM series. If BD wins ZIM series without a trouble then I would cast the vote in this poll.

sadhat
October 19, 2010, 10:26 AM
Coming ZIM series is very important for BD cricket.

dolcevita
October 19, 2010, 10:32 AM
Nothing fluke , its all SHAKIB AL HASAN
he is the most talented cricketer of this upcoming decade
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

shakibrulz
October 19, 2010, 10:33 AM
I am willing to bet BD will knockout India in WC. What's gonna be at stake?
I bet India have learnt their lesson and will thrash BD this time around :saint:

al-Sagar
October 19, 2010, 10:33 AM
except 3rd odi (which was a comprehensive win).... in all matches NZ were in winning positions or very close to win. but we kept our nerve and won the game.

and we done it three times. this cannot be fluke.

WarWolf
October 19, 2010, 10:36 AM
I bet India have learnt their lesson and will thrash BD this time around :saint:
Ok bet?

I bet that India will be thrashed again by us in WC.

Kabir
October 19, 2010, 10:49 AM
Lets wait till ZIM series before casting your vote. I did not. The reason is that I am not sure its fluke or good days for BD + bad days for NZ. But the way we are celebrating, it may cost ZIM series. If BD wins ZIM series without a trouble then I would cast the vote in this poll.

Good way to put it :up:

Btw...by then the poll will be closed. We can always follow-up.

hoax
October 19, 2010, 10:58 AM
cant count out the possibilities...i'll have to agree with ur line:happen to have enough bad experiences with our bangla boys

but 4 now lets not think about negative sides!/:)

hoax
October 19, 2010, 11:02 AM

i dont think bd will be thrashed...bd have 70% chance of losing but..and a big big but!!..i'll like to say that if india wins..before the presentation ceremony begins..all of the indian players will need to change their pants!!..cause all of it will be wet!!...the match will get this close!;)

Habib
October 19, 2010, 11:03 AM

The poll will be closed on November 3.

Raynman
October 19, 2010, 11:29 AM
4 wins is in no way a Fluke. NZ was and probably still is a better team on paper.

However, this fortnight belonged to us and we were the better and hungrier team. We won in different circumstances each game and with the exception of the 3rd ODI we had to really sweat out the wins. However, in most cases we looked on top during the matches.

The win against ENG can be considered a fluke given the thrashing we received in the next game and our performances with IRE/NED. But beating the same team 4 games in a row is definitely not a fluke. Same would be true were it ZIM to beat us 4 games in a row.

shakibrulz
October 19, 2010, 11:52 AM
Ok bet?

I bet that India will be thrashed again by us in WC.
Ok bet :D BD is like our second home and unless Iceman pulls some miracle which I don't see happening, we will thrash BD for sure. I can't see Iceman getting toyed around for runs though :(

Dilscoop
October 19, 2010, 12:17 PM
It seems that way. But if you watched 4 matches, you would see that we played well and won. And add to that NZ played like sh!t. If you think playing good cricket is fluke then I have no comment to that.

And also, if you go back in time when last time NZ was in BD, you would see that we SHOULD have won the series. We had the game in the bag, but we let them get away through Oram. We dropped him few times and missed run out chances. Or if look at any of the matches this year that we got very close to winning, but we didn't because of our fielding. You let that one guy get away, and let them win. But this time we improved our fielding, we took all our chances.

betaar
October 19, 2010, 12:20 PM
The same reason we lost against Ire/Netherlands, held true for NZ.
In both cases the losing team is better than the winning one, on paper and for man for man. For a team like Bangladesh to win against teams like NZ, 2 things have to happen. BD has to play better than their usual standard and NZ has to play lower than theirs. This series was the case where NZ played sub par all through out and BD kept their standard above average at all times....especially when it mattered. May be we just learned how to finish things off now and tilt the result our direction.

Nocturnal
October 19, 2010, 12:28 PM
I see a pattern of good cricket by our team over last few months. I sensed something big was coming. It was no fluke.

Kabir bhai- I'm pretty sure capslock was joking! :)

WarWolf
October 19, 2010, 12:31 PM
Ok bet :D BD is like our second home and unless Iceman pulls some miracle which I don't see happening, we will thrash BD for sure. I can't see Iceman getting toyed around for runs though :(
Done. :D

capslock
October 19, 2010, 12:55 PM
The last thing I want to do is get into a feud over a poll. So I shall ask - what is your guidelines for the poll? If you have none, then try not to pose personal judgment in closing the poll.

I think I made my guidelines pretty clear in my post.

WarWolf
October 19, 2010, 01:15 PM
Sorry Capslock. I don't understand your post either though the poll doesn't have anything to do with me. Please enlighten us about how moderation guideline interacts with number of options in a poll.

Purbasha T
October 19, 2010, 01:18 PM
You asked ''can ..be..?''. So yes, there's every possiblity it could be.

Kabir
October 19, 2010, 01:37 PM
I think I made my guidelines pretty clear in my post.

Not sure I'm interested in YOUR guidelines. I would like to know about the BC guidelines.

By yours, I meant BC's.

Miraz
October 19, 2010, 01:50 PM
It's not a fluke, but it should not be considered as the yardstick to measure Bangladesh's improvement in international cricket.

It will be very difficult to achieve similar result or even a series win in near future against top oppositions if we do not improve our batting significantly.

godzilla
October 19, 2010, 01:58 PM
Fluke maybe for the last match where it could have gone either way but the rest NO WAY!

Assuming that you have not watched the match or else you would have not opened this thread.

It is clear that the Fielding has improved a lot. Rubel Hossain started to be economical for the first time in his life with proper line and length throughout most of the match. Even the spinners where bowling good and was very economical. Yes not all the players improved but those 1-3 improvement of players caused NZ's downfall. And the most important is the TEAM SPIRIT throughout the series. They actualy looked pumped up. Winning mentality wins you the game half of the time.

cricket_dorshok
October 19, 2010, 01:59 PM
No way. We have had many opportunities where we couldn't pull it off due to poor fielding, drop catches, inexperience death bowling, etc. Even Murali pulled away a match from us last year not to mention about Mash's horrendous death bowling ability. But this time, we have had better death bowling in Rubel and Shafiul, held the nerve and pulled them off. Very simple.

Ashfaq
October 19, 2010, 02:12 PM
Kabir vai, I understand. Any tiger fan will be weary after so many stop starts. But hey, I'm not as old or as jaded as you are. I still think this is the beginning of something new and wonderful, not the end of a "Grand Fluke".

Eshen
October 19, 2010, 02:24 PM
Voted no. The team showed a new level of belief in themselves (which was so apparent in the last ODI) which made all the difference in the series. Even a negative person like Siddons seems to now believe that his boys can win matches on consistent basis.

However, at same time, the team spirit still largely depends on Shakib's personal form. If he can't deliver for a series or two, it's very likely that the team will fall apart again.

frd
October 19, 2010, 02:25 PM
Who cares! If winning tight games or thrashing opponents(3rd odi) are flukes then i luv flukes and this kind of FLUKES will happen more often in upcoming yrs.INSALLAH

Fazal
October 19, 2010, 02:37 PM
Right now...

1. With good luck, can we win series at home against Zim, Pak and WI. I say yes, and its very much possible.

2. With good luck, can we win series with BanglaWash at home against Zim, Pak and WI. I its possible, but not likely.

3. Can we beat NZ again at home 4-0 (or 5-0)? Its possible but not likely.

Then, was it a fluke?

Not really. You can win a match by fluke but not the whole seires with 4-0.

simon
October 19, 2010, 03:10 PM
it wasn't a fluke.
but any better batting side than NZ wld hv sealed the series(or atleast a 2-2)
we took full advantage of their poor batting form,inability in playing spin in these conditions,and offcourse the upgraded fielding & pace attack have made a difference.

fiasnahk
October 19, 2010, 04:33 PM
Not really a fluke, but yeah we need to get higher scores against other opponents. But also we missed our best batsmen. If you add another 40 runs to 225 you get 265. Thats a pretty good score, and thats the difference tamim makes i reckon.

Nadim
October 19, 2010, 04:40 PM
seems bd fans r bored on winning?
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

sadhat
October 19, 2010, 04:55 PM
The poll will be closed on November 3.
Thanks for the info. Then I will not vote. I want to make sure my vote represents my actual judgement. Its too early to do poll. Man its just a series win. Players getting all stuff from Prime Minister, some private banks are giving cars, they are getting money, housing plots. They wil be spoiled. They might that, well mission is done. It is NOT. Now even on BTV they are saying "If BD score less than 100, they will win against any team". Too high hope will ruin our players. Its a different kind of pressure on our players.

capslock
October 19, 2010, 07:36 PM
Not sure I'm interested in YOUR guidelines. I would like to know about the BC guidelines.

By yours, I meant BC's.

Common sense.

Zeeshan
October 19, 2010, 07:52 PM
capslock dada maren guta ban butamey... collapsebol get lagaia tala maira den.... khela jitar por ekhon koi fluke.... kabir bhai either you are with us or against us....there is no middle ground

Naimul_Hd
October 19, 2010, 08:03 PM
I find this thread an INSULT to our achievement. Utterly rubbish.

Winning a whole series seems to be a fluke to you ??? Well, then i guess, we need to change the definition of "Fluke" word itself, then we can call 4-0 a fluke.

You could say that, earlier Bangladesh had suffered loses due to their bad luck but now, with the blessings of Almighty Allah, we are able to win which was unthinkable before. It can not be called as "Fluke" !

eendian fan rao to ei thread khulte shahosh paito na, very sad to see this thread coming from one of our beloved friend. :(

CricFanBD
October 19, 2010, 08:15 PM

. :(

100% Agree with you. The most rubbish thread at this moment.

meazz1
October 19, 2010, 08:27 PM
I don't think it was a fluke.
Let's see how well we do against Zim.
That will surely tell us something.

beshideshi
October 19, 2010, 08:30 PM
This is not a bad thread to be honest. As Miraz bhai said, this series should not be a measure of our improvement, I don't think we can beat NZ 4-0 again even at home.

We did have some luck going our way, the 2 wickets right before the break in the 1st ODI, last few overs in the 5th ODI, but the truth is, when two even teams compete it usually requires a bit of luck to take one of the sides across the line. We have seen so many games where the "ifs" and "buts" went against us and we lost the game, this time those went our way and we won the games. But that hardly means the wins were a giant fluke, remember; lighting may strike once, twice but not 4 times.

Antora
October 19, 2010, 09:26 PM
I wouldn't really say it was a fluke. The team showed great improvement and I was happy to see that they had self believe, which I think is very important, as cricket is also a very psychological game.

BANFAN
October 20, 2010, 12:14 AM
Mia, result jaina shuna poll koren. :) Is there any one who is going to say Yes?

Dilscoop
October 20, 2010, 12:40 AM
It's not a fluke, but it should not be considered as the yardstick to measure Bangladesh's improvement in international cricket.

It will be very difficult to achieve similar result or even a series win in near future against top oppositions if we do not improve our batting significantly.

Ya, I don't expect us to do very well, even against Zims with those 220 from Shujon, Pilot, Golla era.

Shaan
October 20, 2010, 01:21 AM
nai kaj tho khoi bhaj !!

frd
October 20, 2010, 01:22 AM
This thread doesn't make any sense.if we had lost those tight matches(1st,4th,5th) then everybody wouldhv said-luck wasnt on our side,bad fielding crewed us,bad umpairing is killing us ,blah blah.but now somebody are saying it is a fluke!what is the definition of fluke?? U need some luck to win a tight match in intl cricket.fortune favours the brave.we were brave so fortune favoured us.

BANFAN
October 20, 2010, 01:43 AM
I cant see anyone calling it a fluke, but there are 11 votes for yes, did they just make mistake of not reading the poll question carefully? :)

max410
October 20, 2010, 03:04 AM
winning all 4 matches is not a fluke if bd won only 1 match that would have been a fluke

Tiger Manc
October 20, 2010, 04:35 AM
^^^ agree. A one off match can be a fluke. Bad umpiring decisions, direct hits, thick edges, it can happen. But 4 in a row!? No chance. New Zealand were thumped fair and square. Even when they lost the 2nd match some media were blaming lack of practice matches, even though we never got any! By the 3 rd match they already had 2 practice matches and by the 4th match they had 3 practice matches. They may say we missed so and so, but we missed Tamim Iqbal and many other players so it balances it out.

zainab
October 20, 2010, 04:46 AM
Definitely not a fluke, hard work, belief in themselves and taking advantage of an opponent's weaknesses.
In as much as I am happy that they whitewashed NZ, their batting is still below par, and they seem to depend on one or two batsmen. A team like this should be able to put 250 runs on the board quite easily. The Zims will not be a walkover, and I am sure that BD will have to play much better cricket, especially in the batting. In as much as BD has improved, Zim has also improved and they are playing competitive cricket against SA, though they are not winning.

magic boy
October 20, 2010, 05:07 AM
*[বাংলা]oh ইয়েস ! [/বাংলা] (http://bit.ly/4kb77v)* :)

Kabir
October 20, 2010, 08:39 AM
hard work, belief in themselves and taking advantage of an opponent's weaknesses

All of these at the same time? That's a fluke. And yes, I see that it happened 4 times in a row.

Kabir
October 20, 2010, 08:42 AM
To those who voted no: What's the probability that we will win series against another opponent like this in the next 2 years?

Or better yet, what's the probability that we will not win any game against a top opposition in the world cup?

Some of you are not using the correct definition of fluke - yes fluke can happen 4 times in a row. Perhaps we can do some probabilities to see what's the probability for 4 wins in a row with a quality opponent. Yes - it's quite low.

Kabir
October 20, 2010, 08:46 AM

Pure drama!

Winning a whole series seems to be a fluke to you ??? Well, then i guess, we need to change the definition of "Fluke" word itself, then we can call 4-0 a fluke.

Fluke is based on probability. See my previous post.

You could say that, earlier Bangladesh had suffered loses due to their bad luck but now, with the blessings of Almighty Allah, we are able to win which was unthinkable before. It can not be called as "Fluke" !

Dude, it'll continue to be unthinkable even during the Zim series. You're talking about a team that doesn't win against top-8...may be 1 in 15 matches we'll win. Others, we'll come close, and lose it due to occasional brain farts by our batsmen and bowlers. And when everything clicks all of a sudden - yes that's a fluke.

eendian fan rao to ei thread khulte shahosh paito na, very sad to see this thread coming from one of our beloved friend. :(

I don't think I would have disagreed with an eendian on this - depends on how it's put of course :)

beshideshi
October 20, 2010, 08:50 AM
All of these at the same time? That's a fluke. And yes, I see that it happened 4 times in a row.

If you call this a fluke, then; every single win by every single team against every single opposition is a fluke.
India's series win was the biggest fluke in my opinion. India worked hard, they believed in themselves and took advantages of Australia's weakness in spin department, what else but fluke?

magic boy
October 20, 2010, 08:56 AM
@Kabir bhai: Shakib stated before that we could win the series 4-0

"Now the 4-0 [result] is very possible," Shakib said. "We played good cricket in the last two games but we want to improve our performance in the next two because there are lots of areas to improve.

http://www.cricinfo.com/bangladesh-v...ry/481134.html

How can it be FLUKE if the captain of opponent's team claims so and does so? ekkebare boley koye whitewash. :p

layperson
October 20, 2010, 11:50 AM
If you call this a fluke, then; every single win by every single team against every single opposition is a fluke.
India's series win was the biggest fluke in my opinion. India worked hard, they believed in themselves and took advantages of Australia's weakness in spin department, what else but fluke?

The most appropriate answer to all the question posed by kabir. A fluke is not based on probability only. Fluke is a positive result due to good fortune or good luck. What part of the 4-0 drubbing was goodluck ? It was pure hard work, determination, and some bad performance from the opposition that resulted in the wins. Fluke would have been DL for all the ODI's or bad umpiring decisions against the kiwis throughout the series favouring bangladesh or a rain curtailed match every time.

Naimul_Hd
October 21, 2010, 08:49 AM

Either you are living in outer world or we are !

Some of you are not using the correct definition of fluke - yes fluke can happen 4 times in a row. Perhaps we can do some probabilities to see what's the probability for 4 wins in a row with a quality opponent. Yes - it's quite low.

Which definition are you referring to as CORRECT one ???

I would rather say, this definition (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fluke) is the most correct one :

'A lucky or improbable occurrence, with the implication that the occurrence could not be repeated'

and you are claiming beating mighty NZ 4 times in a row is a fluke ! well my friend, according to my corrected definition, it can not be repeated, let alone, that happening in a row. Got it ?

auntu
October 21, 2010, 12:30 PM
Off course this is not fluke.

aniksh1
October 21, 2010, 12:36 PM
The kiwis were throwing there wicket away pretty easily...they were however celebrating every success more against us then ever b4..

Don't know...cannot get my head around 4-0, or defending 173 and 241.

Kabir
October 21, 2010, 12:57 PM
Either you are living in outer world or we are !

I'm not, i'm sure the others are not either. Not sure about you - so tone it down.

Which definition are you referring to as CORRECT one ???

I would rather say, this definition (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/fluke) is the most correct one :

'A lucky or improbable occurrence, with the implication that the occurrence could not be repeated'

Lucky (in the case of BD) = when they all click together. In the past, they did click. Yes - only once in 10/15 games. This time, they did click...4 times in a row. That's what makes it so improbable.

and you are claiming beating mighty NZ 4 times in a row is a fluke ! well my friend, according to my corrected definition, it can not be repeated, let alone, that happening in a row. Got it ?

Nope, didn't get it - coz it didn't make much sense.

reyme
October 21, 2010, 01:13 PM
But that hardly means the wins were a giant fluke, remember; lighting may strike once, twice but not 4 times.

Exactly.

reyme
October 21, 2010, 01:18 PM
Setup, Match Fix, Spot Fix, and now Fluke...what next may I ask?
some people dont believe BD can win, let alone a series win...
There is a reason some people fail all their life...

Kabir
October 21, 2010, 01:51 PM
That was a question, rather than a statement. There's a reason why Bangladeshi people scream too much :)

hoax
October 21, 2010, 11:59 PM
That was a question, rather than a statement. There's a reason why Bangladeshi people scream too much :)

:lol:sadly i agree with uE-)

Naimul_Hd
October 22, 2010, 12:51 AM
^^ Your thread title may pose a question, but in your comment, you made your statement clear. All my replies were directed to your statements that you made in this thread. :saint:

Call me a pessimist, but I still think it's a master of all flukes...a fluke at its grandest scale.

zainab
October 22, 2010, 06:07 AM
Read all the answers here whether this series win was a fluke, As i have said, it was not a fluke, but BD definitey had the right conditions and luck on their side. they also worked hard and developed a killer instinct that I have not seen for the longest while where they have just resigned themselves to losses and have tried to have honourable defeats.

BD has shown lots of improvement in all departments but the batting.
but its more of New Zealands poor performance that helped Bangladesh to win the Series. To keep this momentum, they need to improve their below par batting skills much more(only Shakib and Imrul tried); this should be their first priority. top order batsmen should show more consistency and put runs on the board, and dont put pressure on the middle and lower order batsmen.
Without this, beating the other top ranking countries would be next to impossible. This win could be inspirational during the World Cup. It depends on the players as to how they consider this Whitewash.
Now, let's see how they perform against the Zims.

rahat90
October 22, 2010, 07:20 AM
Kabir..
An improbable result, i.e 4-0 in bd's favor, does not necessarily mean its a fluke. I do understand where you are coming from though, but fluke is totally the wrong word to use in this context.
Yes we had a lot of luck. Lucky in the first ODI with the D/L method win. Lucky that NZ played really bad and that they were under prepared coming into the series. Lucky that the 2nd ODI was washed out so that NZ did not have the chance to bounce back immediately. However we did not have extreme luck, as i do not remember a single ODI that BD had the umpires totally on their side.

But, those who deserve luck, more often than not get the luck. We worked hard, very hard. Appointed the right coaches..and worked our asses off to get this 'luck'. But end of the day, we deserved it.

So kabir, an appropriate poll question would have been 'were BD lucky to achieve a 4-0 banglawash'?
If that was the poll question i definitely would have voted 'yes'.
But a fluke is out the question..

shuziburo
October 22, 2010, 08:33 AM
I voted no. But, a series win can be a fluke. Not a whitewash, though!

shuziburo
October 22, 2010, 08:39 AM
Amid all the changes brought to the team management, coaching staff, etc...we saw an immediate impact. The unthinkable has become a reality...a comprehensive series win with a whitewash against NZ...a top-8 team.

Don't call me an idiot for saying this - I just happen to have enough bad experiences with our bangla boys and can't seem to forget what happened last summer.

Your thoughts please.

Note: The Yes/No response is on purpose - there's no "i don't know" or "time will tell" answer. The poll will also be valid until 14 days from today.

Don't think I don't have that fear. Our boys have this unfortunate tendency for "[বাংলা]কি হনু রে![/বাংলা]" attitude. But, this whitewash was no fluke, although the batting clicked only in one match.

shuziburo
October 22, 2010, 08:49 AM
To answer your question, of course not. I am not saying like Jafarullah Sharafat that had the target was under 100, we'd still win (wait...you never know if that gordov junaid didn't drop the catch)...but Kiwis basically had a cold feet coming to foreign conditions and getting acclimatized. Besides the first win had domino effect which resulted in tremendous home crowd energy. When you got like what 20,000? people cheering for you, it's no damn fluke if you get all amped up and starts to perform for your country.

If Junaid held on to the catch, we would have won by 100. But, missed on the thrilling finish and NZ's deflating defeat.
Other teams came before and our cheering crowd did not help BD. You need the capability as well.

shuziburo
October 22, 2010, 08:54 AM

Whitewash? Probably not. Series win? Quite possible if batting clicks as well.

shuziburo
October 22, 2010, 08:57 AM

BD knows India learnt their lesson and will successfully change their strategy. Happiest if BD wins the cup. Happy if BD knocks India out.

shuziburo
October 22, 2010, 09:02 AM
It seems that way. But if you watched 4 matches, you would see that we played well and won. And add to that NZ played like sh!t. If you think playing good cricket is fluke then I have no comment to that.

And also, if you go back in time when last time NZ was in BD, you would see that we SHOULD have won the series. We had the game in the bag, but we let them get away through Oram. We dropped him few times and missed run out chances. Or if look at any of the matches this year that we got very close to winning, but we didn't because of our fielding. You let that one guy get away, and let them win. But this time we improved our fielding, we took all our chances.

Our fielding has improved, but we still gave NZ an opportunity by dropping the "Danny Boy." Can you imagine dropping Tendulkar? We have done this in the past and he made us pay each time...

shuziburo
October 22, 2010, 09:07 AM
Kabir vai, I understand. Any tiger fan will be weary after so many stop starts. But hey, I'm not as old or as jaded as you are. I still think this is the beginning of something new and wonderful, not the end of a "Grand Fluke".

That was a thinly-veiled "insult."

SS
October 22, 2010, 03:09 PM
it's not fluke it's miracle...
improvements in bowling and fielding and individual performances (not necessary one person) helped us...still batting is a big concern...hint hint...
Coach needs to realize 240 target will not work especially in WC...if that does not change ..we will experience the defeat and this thread will pop up again

Kabir
October 22, 2010, 03:19 PM
it's not fluke it's miracle...
..we will experience the defeat and this thread will pop up again

Bro...haven't seen u here in a while. Where were you, my co-pessimist brotha! :big_hug:

I'm sure this thread will pop up again in future - jei fala fali shuru korse shobai, and bangali'r nature to amra chini, naki? Aajke bhalo khelse, shobaire ekhon bhalobasha diye uray falaitese...kalke kharap khelle, you'll see threads like "we want Sakib's head".

Childish...

SS
October 22, 2010, 03:27 PM
Bro...haven't seen u here in a while. Where were you, my co-pessimist brotha! :big_hug:

I'm sure this thread will pop up again in future - jei fala fali shuru korse shobai, and bangali'r nature to amra chini, naki? Aajke bhalo khelse, shobaire ekhon bhalobasha diye uray falaitese...kalke kharap khelle, you'll see threads like "we want Sakib's head".

Childish...

Life goes on...I was going with it...but can't forget the past...especially when so many years we followed this team..we followed our players...thanks for remembering me and my view...but for some reason I can't sing the same song for one guy...Sakib...he is something different...he is just gem...may God bless him for his quality so that he can guide and prove aged followers wrong

shuziburo
October 22, 2010, 10:05 PM

Roasted or fried? Sorry, I know it is in bad taste, but simply could not resist!!!