PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh versus India: World Cup opening Match Strategy Thread

Rifat
October 21, 2010, 02:37 AM
Please do not confuse the thread title with an official match thread.

In My Opinion, to successfully Beat India or to even have a shot at beating India Bangladesh needs to bat really really well against them. Their obvious weaklink is their Bowling(Most of the time).

Our bowling is our stronghold and so is their batting. Judging from previous experience, they will be and should be well-prepared for our spin dominated attack.

we seriously need to get our Powerplay failures fixed up before world cup. How we perform in the powerplay will determine how well we succeed as a team in the world cup. so hoping we find some good power hitters during the zimbabwe series who can sort this problem out.

If the powerplay problem is sorted out, then our sub-par score will drastically improve by at least 25 more runs than what we score on a normal basis.

I apologize if this thread is too early and pre-mature. I am just too excited and I feel that with the world cup approaching us within less than four months from now and life is so fast paced these days that it never hurts too early to plan ahead.

Looking forward to hear your thoughts on how Bangladesh should approach vital games as the opening one if we are to repeat last world cup's heroics.(and NO, losing to Ireland is not an option :D)

Naimul_Hd
October 21, 2010, 07:30 AM
amader eendian bondhu ra to shob jene jabe tahole ! :S

_Rafi_
October 21, 2010, 08:41 AM
amader eendian bondhu ra to shob jene jabe tahole ! :S

tik bolchen dada! Dont let them know anything.

Neel Here
October 21, 2010, 09:44 AM
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1478/binoculars4.jpg

:D

Ajfar
October 21, 2010, 09:52 AM
Here is what we do. We don't let Mashrafee get anywhere near the team. Let him get mad, tell him go home you big baby. And then you let him play against his favorite opponent and rest will be history. Case closed.

bujhee kom
October 21, 2010, 10:55 AM
Ki re dost! Ideas kothai?

nycpro96
October 21, 2010, 04:14 PM
Well, obviously target their bowling. Now you can take your chances and try to chase but that would be pretty tough to do. I realistically see us batting first and bring our PP batting woes to an end. 300 doesn't really mean much for the Indians with their batting but if we can bring our A game and Rubel and Shakib and the rest can do what they do best in the field, we might just pull something off. I want to see Tamim and Imrul opening and we would need a partnership of at least 100 in 15-18 overs time. Then, whoever comes in 3rd (maybe Mushfiq) needs to bat steadily but take risks. We need to bat as if we are coming to win from the get go. Don't let the Indians lay back. Always aim to be in the front seat. If 2nd wicket partnership can stay until 150-175 before 28ish overs, I say let Jahurul come in and sort of play a stabilizer. If this works and we have a score of around 225 at 35ish, bring in Ash/Shakib and call batting powerplay before 38 and try to have 275 at 42-43 over mark. Then we should target 335-350. This is the only way I believe we can make the Indian batting line up maybe drop a bead or two of sweat.
Bowling:
I say we open with Mash and Shafiul. First change Razzak and hopefully we can contain them to under 50ish in the first 10. This makes RRR pretty high. Then we play with Shakib and Rubel. If we can get Sehwag before he makes the RRR get lower and lower, we have our first lick at a victory. Then, imho, Kohli looks kind of scary. I know he's new, but I think this is what makes him so scary. I really think that Naeem should be in the XI not only because of his batting ability but because he's a very economical bowler. This way Shakib and Rubel have at least 5 overs each left after 30 over mark. At 30 over mark, the max India can have would be 160. Hopefully we can have at least 4 wicket at this stage. This is when the game really starts. The lineup bats pretty deep so tailenders aren't really an option yet. Razzak needs to bowl his quota up before 40 overs. I don't like seeing Razzak get smacked around or giving half volleys down the leg side. The indian batting powerplay will bring a minimum of 55-60 runs and we should expect this. But we need to buckle down afterward. I think we can get India on February 19, 2011 and begin the 2011 ICC World Cup on a positive note. :flag:

AsifTheManRahman
October 21, 2010, 04:36 PM
As Shakib would say, bolars should boal oil, batsman should bat oil. Rubel should boal oil Shafiul should boal oil Nazmul apa should boal oil. Tamim should bat oil and I should bat oil because no other batsman will do jack.

What he would mean by saying that: Go all out, murder India. Flatten 'em like cheese on a cracker. *Whip*

nycpro96
October 21, 2010, 04:49 PM
As Shakib would say, bolars should boal oil, batsman should bat oil. Rubel should boal oil Shafiul should boal oil Nazmul apa should boal oil. Tamim should bat oil and I should bat oil because no other batsman will do jack.

What he would mean by saying that: Go all out, murder India. Flatten 'em like cheese on a cracker. *Whip*

:floor::floor: Couldn't have said it better.

al-Sagar
October 21, 2010, 05:57 PM
amar STRATEGY ta besh simple ....

1. batsmen should bat well (sensibly according to situation)
2. bowlers should bowl well concentrating on tight line and length
3. fielders should catch and field well

Zeeshan
October 21, 2010, 06:39 PM
Excellent thread. For me the biggest factor would be the opening stand. We desperately need Tamim to eat up the overs even if it means toning down his "natural game"; we cannot afford to go all Sehwag in the game. If he restrains himself and then goes berserk at the end, he will put the White in whitewash a la Cameron White in the Aus-Ind PP where 85 runs were scored in just 5 overs.

Slow but steady wins the race.

Zunaid
October 21, 2010, 06:50 PM
Tonya Harding anyone?

Zeeshan
October 21, 2010, 07:00 PM
No but Tanya Harding.

bharat
October 22, 2010, 05:07 PM
Dudes ..dont u think its too early :)

The positive for India is that they will not take BD lightly anymore (especially after the NZ Banglawash) .The positive for BD is that they are playing their best cricket ever !

May the better team win :-D

Rabz
October 22, 2010, 06:32 PM
Strategy : Watch the 07 world cup match on video, over and over again.

Dont think you can, Know you can.

Rajput
October 23, 2010, 04:35 AM
Salam to all.

I am a newcomer,just joined u ppl.I am a Pakistani and a great supporter of Bangla Cricket team.I can see Bangladesh winning against India in the opener.Indian bowling is too weak and I believe Tamim and Shakaib can hammer them.All the best.

Naimul_Hd
October 23, 2010, 04:46 AM
Salam to all.

I am a newcomer,just joined u ppl.I am a Pakistani and a great supporter of Bangla Cricket team.I can see Bangladesh winning against India in the opener.Indian bowling is too weak and I believe Tamim and Shakaib can hammer them.All the best.

Welcome bro. Enjoy your stay here. :)

Rifat
October 23, 2010, 06:26 AM

The positive for India is that they will not take BD lightly anymore (especially after the NZ Banglawash) .The positive for BD is that they are playing their best cricket ever !

Salam to all.

good to have you two here :)

shakibrulz
October 23, 2010, 10:02 AM

:floor: :floor:

shakibrulz
October 23, 2010, 10:04 AM

Seconded

And yea may the better team (;)) win :-D

Ajfar
October 23, 2010, 10:24 AM
May the home team win.

_Rafi_
October 23, 2010, 10:33 AM
Formation: 5-1-1-2-2(batsmen-wk-slogger-bowling AR-bowlers)
Playing style: Aggressive

godzilla
October 24, 2010, 10:08 PM
This is going to be a tough match. Both Bangladesh and India are at the peak of their games. India for obvious reason (Aus bash) and Bangladesh well we in BC know why and so does the NZ'ders (LOL).

BTW am looking forward to see atleast 2 asian teams in the semi-finals. Hopefuly Pakistan can pull up their socks before the WC.

BANFAN
October 25, 2010, 06:36 AM
We should be basically chasing, India may not be knowing what should be a good target to offer. On the other hand we play better when we have a target (if that's not too big).

Equinox
October 25, 2010, 06:51 AM
May Bangladesh win.

Bond
October 26, 2010, 06:15 AM
India are going to take revenge of 2007 and make a mockery of the match, they don't want to disappoint 1 billion fans.

jahidus200
October 26, 2010, 04:15 PM
can u give my rtv link..

Haru-party
November 1, 2010, 07:11 PM
Seconded

And yea may the better team (;)) win :-D

thnx for praying for us (bangladesh) :D

zainab
December 13, 2010, 08:33 PM
If they want to beat India, they have to play much better cricket than what they played against Zim which is a weaker team than them,India is not Zimbabwe, much stronger in their batting lineup and bowling, so they have less than 3 months to improve 50% Can they do this?

Zunaid
December 13, 2010, 08:42 PM
My strategy: win. The rest is tactics.

oracle
December 15, 2010, 11:52 PM
win toss
bat first
Tamim survives opening spell + gets at least 50
All recognized batsman reach double figures
Masrafee + Shafiul opening bowlers restirict Indian openers
Excellent fielding

reckon if all above clicks we have excellent chance. No need to rely on individuals.

Jadukor
December 17, 2010, 02:03 AM
As people mentioned a lot of things have to click if we r to beat India in the WC...

first of all we need the pitch to turn square and bat first on it... if the shot making becomes restricted then Inda won't get to use their stroke makers...it will become a grinding game...

Secondly we need Tamim and Shakib to fire on all cylinders with the bat.. these two are our champion players and they both need to score fifty+ scores with the rest batting around them. We need a 250+ score in Mirpur to put the Indians under pressure... because their openners are going to get the innings off to a flyer in the first 10 overs...

Thirdly we need Mash to produce that perfect inswinger early... so that he can take out Sehwag... and Razzak needs that arm ball to be spot on against Tendulkar...

all in all even thinking about this game is getting me pumped up... :-D

Beamer
December 27, 2010, 03:35 PM
Tonya Harding anyone?

:floor::floor: Who is gonna be Jeff Gilloly? Dipjol is locked up last time I checked. There is always Zeeshan in his dark room somewhere in O.C.

SS
December 30, 2010, 04:01 PM
The way Ind is playing there is no way we can dream of...
There top orders are just too good on the other hand look at our batsmen besides one or two none of them are in good form...i would have realistic expectations for a good fight...

Haru-party
December 30, 2010, 04:16 PM
ekta sheirokom buddhi ase amar kase. ekta sunglass banamu mashrafee shob batsman re shewag dekhbo......hehe tarpor dekhben kemne muri murkir moto indian wicket pore :D

DJ Sahastra
December 30, 2010, 05:35 PM
Nice thread. Good to know all of BD team strategies before hand ;). Ami tomar shobai strategy dekhbe, porbe, kopal-e bhorbe, ni matha kharap korbe.

On a side note, nobody likes to lose (and be haunted on BD forum for 4 years ;) ) but i think it won't hurt so much to lose to BD team this time around for a simple reason - they have grown to be a worthy opponent and earned respect. India team think-tank would do well to understand this in very clear terms.

That said, BD team will lose. Oh come on, you want to be a gracious host, don't you :) /:)

Night_wolf
December 30, 2010, 11:03 PM
That said, BD team will lose. Oh come on, you want to be a gracious host, don't you :) /:)

hahah:)..no in this case we dont:D

SS
December 31, 2010, 09:02 AM
How we will handle the snorters ....interesting how SA batsmen had trouble...but that's in SA though...still Ind bowling is threating...along with their top 5 solid batsmen...no strategy will work we just have to give everything when playing them

Ajfar
December 31, 2010, 11:19 AM
If we are going to beat India our bowling has to lead the way for the batsman. If we bat first and put up 250ish. Even though thats a pretty score on the Mirpur track with India's batting line up its not that big of a task for them. I would rather bowl first and chase. Beside wouldnt it be easier to bat second because of the dew? or there wont be any dew?
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

Jadukor
December 31, 2010, 11:59 AM
there should be dew... I also think our best option is to chase just like we did in 2007... the problem is how much can we actually chase with this batting lineup?... in the last two ODI series against a weak attack we didn't manage 250....

Awla
January 1, 2011, 06:16 AM
vai ai forum kono indian lok regeister kore nai to???!!!.....bola jai na amader strategy gulo jodi jaina jai tahole to amra ses......sabdhaner mar nai....sob bidesider ban kora hok( no offense, just kidding...::-D:)

Tiger444
January 1, 2011, 11:45 AM
If we are going to beat India our bowling has to lead the way for the batsman. If we bat first and put up 250ish. Even though thats a pretty score on the Mirpur track with India's batting line up its not that big of a task for them. I would rather bowl first and chase. Beside wouldnt it be easier to bat second because of the dew? or there wont be any dew?

Exactly the plan we should follow. I honestly don't see our batting lineup being able to post up a score that india cannot chase. Their batting lineup is just too explosive for us. So I believe we should bowl 1st and try to get them down to a reasonable total to chase down. I also have more faith in our bowlers compared to our batsmen at this stage. Also with dew being a factor we should definitely bat 2nd.

No matter what we do though everybody has to step up. Our middle order really needs to step it up or else we'll really struggle. We need to take advantage of the powerplays as well. Tamim and shakib need to shine with the bat.

Bowling wise our pacers really need to keep the pressure on the indian batsmen and try to take some early wickets. Shakib and Raj have to bowl very well since their our strength.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

Rifat
January 19, 2011, 09:18 AM
this is the Indian Squad announced so far:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc_cricket_worldcup2011/content/story/497102.html

Piyush chawla
Ravinder Ashwin

off-spin/leg-spin combination.

Squad: MS Dhoni (capt & wk), Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh, Suresh Raina, Virat Kohli, Yusuf Pathan, Harbhajan Singh, Praveen Kumar, Zaheer Khan, Ashish Nehra, Munaf Patel, Piyush Chawla, R Ashwin

imahmud
January 20, 2011, 07:46 AM
Before building the team, we need to focus on the objectives by the strength of the opponents. India has a strong batting lineup and to match that we should also need good batting lineup as well but the focus should be to get them out cheap like we did in WC'07 and there's batting was formidable too at that time. We can not match their batting pound to pound but we need to have a good strategy to overcome it. Our new ball penetration is as important as drying up runs using spinners and take wickets. And dont forget about fielding..

Zunaid
January 20, 2011, 07:52 AM
Before building the team, we need to focus on the objectives by the strength of the opponents. India has a strong batting lineup and to match that we should also need good batting lineup too but the focus should be to get them out cheap like we did in WC'07 and there's batting was formidable too at that time. We can not match their against batting pound by pound but we need to have a good strategy. Our new ball penetration is as important as drying up run using spinners and take wickets. And dont forget about fielding..

Good post. Please note the strategy thread.

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=34627

I will move your post there.

cricman
January 20, 2011, 08:16 AM

Piyush chawla
Ravinder Ashwin

Squad: MS Dhoni (capt & wk), Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir, Yuvraj Singh, Suresh Raina, Virat Kohli, Yusuf Pathan, Harbhajan Singh, Praveen Kumar, Zaheer Khan, Ashish Nehra, Munaf Patel, Piyush Chawla, R Ashwin

Last Time we played them, half the top order couldn't play Yuvraj mainly Zunaed Siddique and Imrul, few others as well (Naeem, Ryiad) just hit one over his head and his line and length will be off

Sehwag shoulder will save us from making him look like Murali

Pathan can bowl but no reason not to milk 5-6 singles

The Front line bowlers don't seem to bother me, TI usually handles Zaheer in ODI's

Ashwin don't know about, Chawla we've played against and so we know he's got some tricks like a good googly and arm ball along with a quick slider.

It's D/N game so if were going to load up on Spinners than Bowl 1st

Rifat
January 20, 2011, 08:18 AM
should we prepare a minefield for the pitch?

I am thinking Dry, warm track! good for both batting and spin.

Baundule
January 20, 2011, 08:18 AM
Everything depends on our opening bowlers. Our batting will be consistent, scoring between 180-220 irrespective of who fires or who waters. If our newball bowlers can get rid of Sehwag, Tendu and Gambhir, the rest may crumble with pressure. If Sehwag does not get out within the first 10 overs, we are done.

Rifat
January 20, 2011, 08:21 AM
Last Time we played them, half the top order couldn't play Yuvraj mainly Zunaed Siddique and Imrul, few others as well (Naeem, Ryiad) just hit one over his head and his line and length will be off

Sehwag shoulder will save us from making him look like Murali

Pathan can bowl but no reason not to milk 5-6 singles

The Front line bowlers don't seem to bother me, TI usually handles Zaheer in ODI's

Ashwin don't know about, Chawla we've played against and so we know he's got some tricks like a good googly and arm ball along with a quick slider.

It's D/N game so if were going to load up on Spinners than Bowl 1st

They will most likely rest Bhaji singh, and use Chawla and Ashwin. Shewag and pathan shouldn't be too tough to handle. just punish the bad balls away.

Like you said, our top order should handle the pacers.

cricman
January 20, 2011, 08:39 AM
Our Bowling Attack will give up a Big Score, Just no way around it. Even Shakib Struggles vs them, If Shuvo bowls Yusuf and Yuvi will clean him up & theirs Dhoni, SRT, Raina and than Ghambir.
</br>
</br> Batting, Batting and more Batting will win it In the big picture this game means very little

Night_wolf
January 20, 2011, 09:07 AM
in bowling
1.get some early wickets specially shewag and kholi
2.win the middle over wars..dont let india score easy singles
3.get wickets in the slog overs
In batting
1.tamim hit hard get on zaheer's nerve..he'll have a flash back of 07 and that will make him rather dis comfortable..after that indian bowling line up is nothing

its gona be hard but not impossible

Zunaid
January 20, 2011, 09:09 AM
Let's not confuse tactics with strategy.

shuziburo
January 20, 2011, 09:16 AM
Here is what we do. We don't let Mashrafee get anywhere near the team. Let him get mad, tell him go home you big baby. And then you let him play against his favorite opponent and rest will be history. Case closed.

That could work...

Clearly, India is very strong against spin and not so strong against pace. Rubel and Shafiul will have to bowl well to restrict their total. India developed a rather long tail and we should be mindful of that.

shuziburo
January 20, 2011, 09:19 AM

:lol::bravo::bravo:

tanvir_nus
January 20, 2011, 09:19 AM
There is only ONE strategy. Win the toss and bowl first. Restrict them under 250 and go for the kill. If we lose the toss and bat first, consider the game lost guys. That's about it. It all depends on the toss and if we win the toss whether we can restrict them to a low total, if we do, we are through to the Semis.

shuziburo
January 20, 2011, 09:20 AM
Excellent thread. For me the biggest factor would be the opening stand. We desperately need Tamim to eat up the overs even if it means toning down his "natural game"; we cannot afford to go all Sehwag in the game. If he restrains himself and then goes berserk at the end, he will put the White in whitewash a la Cameron White in the Aus-Ind PP where 85 runs were scored in just 5 overs.

Slow but steady wins the race.

Do you mean slow to start but berserk at the end?

shuziburo
January 20, 2011, 09:24 AM
Everything depends on our opening bowlers. Our batting will be consistent, scoring between 180-220 irrespective of who fires or who waters. If our newball bowlers can get rid of Sehwag, Tendu and Gambhir, the rest may crumble with pressure. If Sehwag does not get out within the first 10 overs, we are done.

Actually, India's tail has been wagging in SA. Having said that, the dangermen are Sehwag, Tendu, and Yusuf Pathan. 220 will be difficult to defend even in Mirpur.

Eshen
January 20, 2011, 10:22 AM
A traditional low-slow Mirpur wicket, that restricts bowlers to certain lengths, won't be a good idea against Indians. For this match, curators should prepare a bouncier pitch where bowlers can vary their lengths.

I would pick Safi-Naz for opening and ask them to restrict India top order with some accurate bowling, and keep Rubel for middle and death overs to see if he can outfox Indian middle order with pace variation and cutters. Shak and Raz should be auto choice for this match. Nayeem would be my pick as the third spinner for his accurate offbreaks, to restrict Indian lefties. I would not pick Shuvo for this match, don't think he is mature enough yet to handle Indians.

For batting, Tamim-Imrul should be auto choice as the opening pair. If curators go with a traditional low-slow wicket, picking SN for #3 would make sense. But for a bouncier pitch, Zunaed would be my preference. I don't have confidence in Rock at this point, so see no harm in trying out Mushfiq at #4. Shak is auto choice at #5, Nayeem should be utilized at #6. Ash should be at #7 trying to give us needed acceleration at end overs.

IMO, Shafi is underestimated as a lower order batsman, I would like to see him being promoted at #8. Raz, Rubel, and Naz should follow him.

DJ Sahastra
January 20, 2011, 11:19 AM
Team India has quite a few mavericks (Sehwag, Yuvraj, Pathan). Any strategy will need to account for the 'mavericks' and they don't allow many strategies as they don't play by traditional way. You can try to work their weakness but in ODIs, you seldom get the time or the space.

The best strategy for Team bangladesh will be to ensure that their best-eleven plays the game and gives their best. You can start with a plan and tweak it as the game progresses but there can't be an advance gameplan - it is higly overrated.

SS
January 20, 2011, 12:33 PM
No Strategy but boom boom cricket...Ind is just too strong to have any strategy especially if it comes from (250 max)coach or management(who all these years failed to come up with a good plan to prepare best eleven)...

Rifat
January 20, 2011, 12:42 PM
A traditional low-slow Mirpur wicket, that restricts bowlers to certain lengths, won't be a good idea against Indians. For this match, curators should prepare a bouncier pitch where bowlers can vary their lengths.

I would pick Safi-Naz for opening and ask them to restrict India top order with some accurate bowling, and keep Rubel for middle and death overs to see if he can outfox Indian middle order with pace variation and cutters. Shak and Raz should be auto choice for this match. Nayeem would be my pick as the third spinner for his accurate offbreaks, to restrict Indian lefties. I would not pick Shuvo for this match, don't think he is mature enough yet to handle Indians.

For batting, Tamim-Imrul should be auto choice as the opening pair. If curators go with a traditional low-slow wicket, picking SN for #3 would make sense. But for a bouncier pitch, Zunaed would be my preference. I don't have confidence in Rock at this point, so see no harm in trying out Mushfiq at #4. Shak is auto choice at #5, Nayeem should be utilized at #6. Ash should be at #7 trying to give us needed acceleration at end overs.

IMO, Shafi is underestimated as a lower order batsman, I would like to see him being promoted at #8. Raz, Rubel, and Naz should follow him.

:up:

seems reasonable. very reasonable :)

Baundule
January 20, 2011, 12:47 PM
Actually, India's tail has been wagging in SA. Having said that, the dangermen are Sehwag, Tendu, and Yusuf Pathan. 220 will be difficult to defend even in Mirpur.
If we get their top order they may struggle to score even 200. With the possibility of a low scoring match, we should bowl first. Indian batsmen do not like to be put under pressure, they need to break free. If the pacers can take 2/3 top order out, the spinners should do an octopus.

This strategy actually worked in the two matches we won. Our opening bowlers did the damage and the spinners supported well. The mirpur pitch will help our style of play. We do not need to score big to win against them. Normal and a bit sensible batting would do, everything depends on the bowling.

Rifat
January 20, 2011, 12:49 PM
^^to add the dew factor on top of that, we should definitely bowl first.

roman
January 20, 2011, 01:00 PM
We need to play with 3 pacers against India. Bowl first and try to restrict them below 260. India's bowling is not as strong as SA, Eng. Have Mushy bat at #4 and Ash bat at #6. Dont want to see both Nayeem and Riyad together...

Holden
January 20, 2011, 02:26 PM
I hope Tamim doesn't go berserk at the start trying to hit Zaheer out of the ground like in the previous World Cup. That was a different situation, no-one had heard of Tamim so he was able to play so aggressively due to the unknown wild card factor.
But this time they do know him and what he is capable of. They would have studied his play and will probably expect him to go all gung ho and thus they probably have a plan to get him out early if he swings wildly. I hope he watches the ball carefully (particularly for slower balls) and doesn't chase wide balls with no foot movement early on. There are plenty of mediocre Indian bowlers that he can feast on if he is able to play a long innings. We would have a great chance to win if he can carry the bat through the whole innings.

I do not want to see any of our batsmen get out to a slower ball, this is one of the most common plans of attack by bowlers and our batsmen seem to fall for it all the time (remember the games against England).

Another major element of this World Cup is the fact that UDRS will be used so we should have strategies in place to use the reviews efficiently. We all know that Bangladesh more often than not are on the receiving end of bad umpiring decisions. As far as I can remember we used the system very poorly on the tour of New Zealand.

India's stubbornness and disregard for UDRS should be used to our advantage. As we will be playing on home pitches we should be able to judge the bounce, pace, turn etc of the ball better than others and so should use this information effectively for such things as LBW decisions etc. In the recent Ashes series I remember when M Hussey was batting on his home pitch, he knew the pace and bounce of the wicket so well and used this information to correctly review LBW decisions to his favour.

The wicket keepers have a crucial role when deciding whether to review a decision for the fielding side. Mushfiqur should be advised before hand on what to look out for and how best to judge if a review should be used or not. Players should be coached on such things as being able to distinguish between the sound of an edge off the bat to the sound off the pads. When batting, the batsmen at the non-strikers end should watch out for no-balls from the bowler and also help judge if a LBW decision should be reviewed (did the ball pitch in line and hit the batsmen in line etc). Also from the Ashes Series it looked like very faint edges off the bat do not show up on Hotspot, so this "loophole" could be used by batsmen to their advantage (if they want to).
There are probably lots of things like this that we should be coaching the players on.

simon
January 20, 2011, 02:44 PM
what abt the WrmUp matches ,are there any,when?

Banglaguy
January 20, 2011, 03:11 PM
what abt the WrmUp matches ,are there any,when?

Bangladesh v Canada at Chittagong
Feb 12, 2011 (14:30 local | 08:30 GMT)

Bangladesh v Pakistan at Dhaka
Feb 15, 2011 (14:30 local | 08:30 GMT)

This is according to cricinfo Akhi.

Dilscoop
January 20, 2011, 03:33 PM
Batsmen score runs, bowlers take wickets, and fielders take all your chances and make plays. What's there to strategies?

I want the fielders to perform in this time, more than ever. That's the only way we can close gaps between India and us. In the past, I have seen BD lose many times because of bad fielding, and umpiring flaws - which is no in our hand. But with RS that should be out of the equation. I just hope Shakib watched the Ashes - where both the teams were BRILLIANT with it, a perfect showcase of how to use it. I will be pissed if they do what they did during NZ tour.

With JF, I want fielders to be 100%. Guys like ... well everyone of them in that Indian squad will take the game away from us, if they gets a life. Look over the years, how we payed the price for dropping catches. SA should've won that game, but the game 1.5 life to Yousuf. Can't afford that. Just imagine Bashar dropping that pop-up catch of Yuvraj Singh in WC 07, which I expected him to drop...

Banglaguy
January 20, 2011, 03:39 PM
Inshallah, we win the toss and put India into bat...
Then open with Shafiul, and let him get hit around the ground first over...
Next over, Rubel bowls, nice, acurate, build pressure.
Let shafiul bowl next over, giving two easy shots for Sewhag.... Then bowl him a nice yorker and th game should be ours peovided that Sachin tendulkar is dead. (joke)

simon
January 20, 2011, 05:58 PM

thank you!

imahmud
January 20, 2011, 09:36 PM
BOWLING:
Pace:
Variation and deception. Each over should consist of sudden slow delivery, bouncer, yorkers and once in a while, a slow bouncer. The strategy is to keep the batsmen on the toes, under pressure and keep them guessing each and every delivery. RBX should be encouraged to throw bouncers and yorkers. And Shafiul should use his deceiving slow deliveries, wide bouncers, and yorkers. Appeal with vengeance and keep the pressure on the umpire and batsmen.

Spin:
Our spin bowlers utilize their strength very well. So, I don't have much to say but few.
Put pressure by placing fielder(s) close (silly position).
Use extra spinner against all teams except India

BATTING:
Besides my "My Ten Batting Commandments" posting ( http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=35346 )
as base, bellow is my summary of batting strategy:

Our Fans covered a lot already. In addition to that, our batsmen should play the delivery according to its merit. They don't have to prove anything against any opponent but keep themselves calm and get to the business of scoring runs efficiently. Run quick for the first to make opportunity to steal the second. Don't let bowler intimidate you (like Ray Price); don’t let it boil your blood. Instead, answer it with playing the ball with judgment accordingly. Our body language should show only one thing and that is, we are determined and there to win.

Zeeshan
January 20, 2011, 11:11 PM
Do you mean slow to start but berserk at the end?

bhai ami ki bolsi ami nijeo jani na...

Zeeshan
January 21, 2011, 02:15 AM
Nah seriously speaking all these advices, suggestions, talks of strategies are good and all but the most important message I'd like to convey to the players: ENJOY THE FRIKKIN GAME!

Yes it's worldcup.
Yes it's at home.
Yes India is opponent.

But that doesn't mean it has to be life and death case. Head shouldn't be at chopping block. And conversely that doesn't give you carte blanche to be sloppy, make 'silly mistakes' and throw your wicket away.

This is one area which has been neglected for a long time imho.

At the risk of using quotes like cliche...we all know the famous words of Einstein. "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z, X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut."

In our tradionalist, stoic, British amol, culture play is frowned upon. You don't need psychology degree to know that when you are playing of rather enjoying the game for what it is then the game itself becomes challenging and you WELCOME those challenges instead of seeing it as a burden on your shoulder. I was surprised to see when my coach in muay thai once told me after 1 month that you are more relaxed than you came in the ring.

Unwarranted pressure bogs you down and may affect your game. When you 'play' or enjoy the game your dopamine/serotonin starts flowing and you enter the zone more easily.

So at the end of the day when it comes to meeting your adversary for the biggest show in the world, lest you get cold feet or stage fright trying to overthink it all, my only advice would be:

Smile. Enjoy the game. :)

PoorFan
January 21, 2011, 02:44 AM
In Bangladesh BD must have to field well, cut off runs [4s in to 3s, 3s in to 2s etc.], hold on the catches, keep bowling tight ... BD will have a chance to win every game against every team. That should be the best strategy for Bangladesh I think, since we dont have superstars in our team.

firstlane
January 21, 2011, 08:36 AM

Thats all? they would be two of the weaker teams in this world cup. Couldn't we organise matches against srilanka and australia? what the hell is bcb doing? we also stopped playing international cricket 2 months before the world cup while the top 4 teams are still playing.

firstlane
January 21, 2011, 08:42 AM

Piyush chawla
Ravinder Ashwin

bloody hell! india will have at least 5 spinners in their xi. they will choke the non-asian teams in subcontinental dead pitches.

Eshen
January 21, 2011, 08:57 AM
In last two years, in ODIs on subcontinent, Indian spinners (including part timers) took 129 wickets, while their seamers took 157 wickets -there is not really much scope to undermine either of their bowling departments!

Rifat
January 21, 2011, 09:16 AM
post #73 is indeed an Amazing post. remember, 90% of the game is played in the mind.

so what if we lose toss, so what if they pile up a mammoth total, dew, snow, sun, rain so what? i mean if you don't have the winning attitude, you not gonna win, simple as that.

Strategy comes secondhand then...

BANFAN
January 21, 2011, 11:25 AM
Thats all? they would be two of the weaker teams in this world cup. Couldn't we organise matches against srilanka and australia? what the hell is bcb doing? we also stopped playing international cricket 2 months before the world cup while the top 4 teams are still playing.

That's a genuine concern. Hope our guys can tune in quickly before 19th

Murad
January 21, 2011, 02:07 PM
Siddons and co have to figure out how get Kohli out. This guy is dangerous. He's hitting 50s everywhere whenever he gets chance. He is the most consistent batsmen in the Indian team for last one year.

Umar
January 21, 2011, 05:39 PM
don't know how legit is this..but bdnews24 said few days ago that MASH would be in for the second match of the WC!
if Mash is fit for the second match...then he would be fit for the first match(im sure). However ...does that mean the bcb+ government doesnt want us to win against INDIA by sending a NON-MASH BD XI?

[how mash can be included I have no idea...and is another matter..im just pretending a fit on song mash ]

Tiger-ess
January 21, 2011, 05:46 PM
Whatever strategy they go for as long as Imrul and Roquibul dont murder us on the day with their sadistic batting Im cool.

Tiger-ess
January 21, 2011, 05:49 PM
Ofcourse there's the 'dashing opener' who basically needs to pawn Zaheer khan once again.

Haru-party
January 21, 2011, 05:50 PM
the fact is no strategy can help us to beat india. only one thing can and that is 'passion'. and its sad to say half of that is gone with mash.

rinathq
January 21, 2011, 06:50 PM
There is a simple strategy.........
Go with the strongest possible bowling combo to stop their mighty batting attack as much as we can....... their bowling attacks weak, so nothing to worry there. Batsmen like Tamim, Mahmudullah, Mushfiq are experts against the Indian attack so no need to worry there.

However, the board might go with a stronger batting attack to even out with theirs, which will be inneffective, u just cant match with them......

So bowling is the keyy,
i want to see Shafiul, Rubel, Nazmul, Shakib, Razzaq, Naeem, Shuvo all together
than, Bring it on Indians@!

simon
January 21, 2011, 07:04 PM
grt that Yuvi & Dhoni & may be Rayna r in poor form.

Roni_uk
January 21, 2011, 07:09 PM
strategy.... ball dekhlei pitan!!!

someone just said .. govt doesnt want us to win against india - conspiracy theory numb 53!! lol.

Zeeshan
January 21, 2011, 07:23 PM
bhai apnara je jai bolen amar kintoo prochondo bhoy hoitese....bhoye buk durdur kore kaptase....ki hobego amader ki hobego! :( :( :(

tkandi4
January 21, 2011, 07:46 PM
If we bat first, here is my batting strategy:

Get 120 runs from batsmen 1-4
Get 120 runs from batsmen 5-8
Get 25 runs from batsmen 9-11(realistically 9 & 10 should get 25 as Rubel can't get much)

One batsman from 1-4 must play a long innings
One batsman from 5-8 must play a long innings
No run out

265 against India or any team will be a good score to defend.

Eshen
January 22, 2011, 04:36 AM
S Rajesh's Numbers Game very well illustrates how plays in last ten overs peg us back -

<table class="StoryengineTable" border="0"><caption>Teams with bat and ball in last ten overs of ODIs since Jan 2009</caption> <tbody> <tr class="head"> <td>Team</td> <td>Bat ave</td> <td>Run rate</td> <td>Bowl ave</td> <td>Econ rate</td> <td>Diff in ave</td> <td>Diff in run rate</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Australia</td> <td>24.53</td> <td>7.44</td> <td>17.90</td> <td>6.96</td> <td>6.63</td> <td>0.48</td> </tr> <tr> <td>South Africa</td> <td>25.15</td> <td>7.93</td> <td>19.21</td> <td>7.47</td> <td>5.94</td> <td>0.46</td> </tr> <tr> <td>West Indies</td> <td>18.42</td> <td>7.64</td> <td>21.94</td> <td>7.21</td> <td>-3.52</td> <td>0.43</td> </tr> <tr> <td>New Zealand</td> <td>21.36</td> <td>7.14</td> <td>19.42</td> <td>6.83</td> <td>1.94</td> <td>0.31</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Zimbabwe</td> <td>23.07</td> <td>7.34</td> <td>22.21</td> <td>7.15</td> <td>0.86</td> <td>0.19</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Pakistan</td> <td>18.35</td> <td>7.06</td> <td>24.53</td> <td>6.96</td> <td>-6.18</td> <td>0.10</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Sri Lanka</td> <td>21.14</td> <td>7.04</td> <td>25.40</td> <td>6.96</td> <td>-4.26</td> <td>0.08</td> </tr> <tr> <td>England</td> <td>17.97</td> <td>7.17</td> <td>20.31</td> <td>7.16</td> <td>-2.34</td> <td>0.01</td> </tr> <tr> <td>India</td> <td>26.72</td> <td>7.26</td> <td>21.87</td> <td>7.60</td> <td>4.85</td> <td>-0.34</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Bangladesh</td> <td>17.34</td> <td>6.26</td> <td>23.40</td> <td>7.26</td> <td>-6.06</td> <td>-1.00</td></tr></tbody></table>
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/497612.html

This is something we got to fix. We have been banking on the wrong duo (Riyad-Naeem) for acceleration in end overs, Siddons got to find a new pair there.

al Furqaan
January 22, 2011, 01:04 PM
good piece by rajesh...we're pretty much the worst team out there. the fact that zimbabwe and NZ are better than us means that if Ireland and Netherlands stats were taken into account, they'd prolly be better than us too.

at the end of the day, wins are what we need no matter what. but we need to fix this problem. I will keep a close monitor on our last ten batting and bowling performances in the World Cup.

rinathq
January 22, 2011, 01:05 PM
Siddons should see this

Baundule
January 24, 2011, 02:57 AM
In order to solve the run rate issue during the final overs either Nayeem or Riyadh needs to play at #4. None of them (and the same goes for Alok) can hit straight away and needs some time to settle. The problem with roq is, he can survive some overs; but he is not able to capitalize on it. With the current set up, Shakib at #5 has to be under pressure and when he gets out the flow of runs stops. Both Nayeem and Riyadh get out trying to score quickly with no time to get set.

silversurf
January 24, 2011, 03:55 AM
I think if we bat first, we have no chance. Cauz we don't know what will be a safe score to beat India's heavy batting line up which I think starts with Sehwag and ends with Vaggi, including Sachin, Yuvraj, Dhoni and so on. I personally think, Bangladesh should bowl first. Try to restrict them at a minimul total and then try to reach the target as their are not so much match winning bowler india have as their batting line up with all do respect that they are international bowler.

sir john
January 24, 2011, 03:57 AM
bangladesh team in superb form