PDA

View Full Version : Battle for #3: Shahriar vs Zunaed vs Jahurul

Eshen
October 29, 2010, 04:50 PM
IMO, Tamim-Imrul have cemented their positions as the opening pair barring any injury. However, battle for the one-down positions has not been settled yet. My observation is - the other three openers in the team are in race for it.

Shahriar Nafees: IMO, he is favorite to win the race. Recently, he has shown better form with bat in both domestic and international matches. His fielding also has improved which gives him a good edge over Zunaed, for the ODI team. Shahriar also have shown in the past that he can be a force to recon with on low-slow wickets.

Zunaed Siddique: He generally looks more comfortable against genuine pacers than other two do. However, his inconsistent batting and his horrible ground fielding puts him behind others. In his favor, he has Siddons (who likes him a lot!) and more experience playing against teams that we will face in the WC'11.

Jahurul Islam: Jahurul is still a rookie in the team, has not been tested well enough against different oppositions. He has been decent in limited opportunities he got so far. His best opportunity to push his name forward was to post couple of big scores in NCL, but that did not happen.

Nadim
October 29, 2010, 04:54 PM
Jahirul for me but i can gurantee it wont happen coz JS will bat Ash at no 3:mad:

imo Zunaid more likely to be out for the Zim series if ash comes back.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Eshen
October 29, 2010, 05:02 PM
Jahirul for me but i can gurantee it wont happen coz JS will bat Ash at no 3:mad:

Are you telling me that experiment with Ash at #3 not over yet?!

Ash himself said he wants a particular position in the team (and his preferred position is obviously #4), don't want any more trial.

al Furqaan
October 29, 2010, 05:24 PM
Are you telling me that experiment with Ash at #3 not over yet?!

Ash himself said he wants a particular position in the team (and his preferred position is obviously #4), don't want any more trial.

well said...ash can't bat at 4, because shakib should take that spot (if not shak, then mushy). if shak takes 4, mushy should take 5, whether think-tank will put him there or not. ash, was too patchy at #3 and never really got going, so he can't bat there.

ash, as i said couple weeks ago, needs the finishing role in the likely scenario that riyad and naeem can't hit quality guys like Gul/Steyn/Roach in the crucial slog overs. Ash might fail, but he won't do any worse, and now has been selected on merit, regardless of whether he flops in the real games (again).

that said, i voted for SN although deep down inside i want Jahirul. maybe i'm still pissed at SN's cavalier attitude and the ICL thing. his attitude makes me not want to like him, even though i always forgave aftab, alok, and all the other guys who left. but then again, SN is a musolli guy these days so maybe he's had a genuine change of heart and i'm willing to forgive him.

PS - i think his name is spelled "JAHIRUL"...i have never heard of the banglicized arabic name "jaharul".

RazabQ
October 29, 2010, 06:05 PM
Jahirul is making a case for the openers slot! Look at the slam-bam innings he has played in all 3 matches. If I'm Kayes, I better score quickly and decently in the 1st 3 ODIs against Zim

Mahir
October 29, 2010, 06:28 PM
Eshen has good points on all three players. Nafees should get the job done at 3 for now, but I see Jahirul as the long-term solution there. And if Naeem has to play in the XI, then he bats at 4 and Mushy at 3. All 3 (Nafees, Jahirul and Junaid with the last-minute 50) got some runs in the NCL, although Jahurul showed a bit more aggression resulting to shorter innings for my liking, which - as Razab da said, should push Imrul for more consistent and bigger innings at the top of the order.

So Nafees is the choice for now. Junaid is better off to play in the domestic/A-team matches to improve his game, while Jahirul has a lot more to prove. And Mushy at no. 4 please. The 5th spot is best suited for Shakib.

dolcevita
October 29, 2010, 06:54 PM
TIK
kayes
SN
Rok
Mush
Shak
Mahmud
Ashrafol
Mortaza
Raz
Shafiul/rubel
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

shafayeen
October 29, 2010, 06:59 PM
jahurul. Please not Nafees. yes, he scored a 70 but he also got a golden duck, and he got looked painful against swing. He is improving, but has he changed that dramatically from the slip and keeper practise catch giving Shahriar nafees? Not yet. Jahurul looks more compact, he can rotate the strike much better and Jaharul just seems that bit smarter.

shafayeen
October 29, 2010, 07:03 PM
My team"

Tamim
kayes
jahurul
Rakibul
Shakib
Mushfiq
Mahmudullah
Shuvo
Raj
Rubel
Mash( fit )/shafiul

yes, its almost same as the kiwi series. For people crying over finisher...if mahmudullah just calms down, he can do it, so can mushfiq, and shakib if he is there, we dont need to worry.

In bangladesh's condition we need a third spinning option, and dont tell ash can bowl....if shuvo can improve as a batsman, it will be that much awesome -er for the team

Dilscoop
October 29, 2010, 07:24 PM
I don't know why and how Shahriar Nafees and Jahurul comes to equation for number 3. Shahriar Nafees made a OK comeback at the opening. Why are you considering him for number 3? It's Imrul vs Nafees for #2.

And why Jahurul should play at 3? Jahurul should play at 4, instead of Roqibul. Because Roqibul doesn't belong in the team. Jahurul will replace him.

Nafees vs Imrul for #2
Jahurul vs Roqibul for #4

Why the recent hate on Siddique at 3? He is doing fine at 3. That is not a easy job. After Basher, we had no decent guy for #3. We were 2 down in no time, with Aftab, Ashraful, Rajin and other jokers from the past. Compare to that Junaid Siddique has been doing a great job at 3. And remember he is a opener, who made room for Imrul. And he earned his spot. Now another joker comes in and he has to make room again? That's not funny.

I also think for T20, Tamim and Siddique should open. They are both attacking, and they together gave us a quick start in the past.

Mahir
October 29, 2010, 07:24 PM
jahurul. Please not Nafees. yes, he scored a 70 but he also got a golden duck, and he got looked painful against swing. He is improving, but has he changed that dramatically from the slip and keeper practise catch giving Shahriar nafees? Not yet. Jahurul looks more compact, he can rotate the strike much better and Jaharul just seems that bit smarter.

IMO Nafees, as unbelieveable as it might sound, seems to be rectifying his technique against swing. He is scoring runs and looks to be in form. That first-ball duck can not be your yardstick to measure his worth, and it was a pretty good delivery too to face first up for a batsman new to the crease. Jahirul is undoubtedly a good prospect, but he missed out in the first 3 rounds of NCL. He should continue to grow by being in the squad and will eventually have a cemented spot in the playing XI.

Dilscoop
October 29, 2010, 07:32 PM
Jahirul is making a case for the openers slot! Look at the slam-bam innings he has played in all 3 matches. If I'm Kayes, I better score quickly and decently in the 1st 3 ODIs against Zim

Excatly. Jahurul was bumping on the door from all direction. I can't believe they set him out for the whole NZ tour. Hope that did not hurt his confidence or ego.

He is hitting on Imrul for opening spot. He is definitely gonna take over from Roqibul. And if Rahim doesn't improve his gloves he will take over from Rahim too. And not to mention many of the BCers are considering Jahurul as a finisher as well. So I would be worried if Naeem or Riyad doesn't improve their hitting ability or drastically improve their bowling

nakibahmed
October 29, 2010, 07:43 PM
Excatly. Jahurul was bumping on the door from all direction. I can't believe they set him out for the whole NZ tour. Hope that did not hurt his confidence or ego.

http://tunesbd.net/imagehost/out.php/i452_123111.jpg

i doubt it,aleast that's what this picture tells us,seems like all the players out of the playing XI weren't enjoying this epic moment like everyone else(Jaharul,Nazmul and Dolar) :P

FagunerAgun
October 29, 2010, 08:08 PM
Against Zim series, definitely SN. However, should BD win the first 3/4 games, I like to give Jahurul a chance.

Ajfar
October 29, 2010, 08:55 PM
SN hasnt done anything extra ordinary yet. He def looked much better than before but thats just one innings. So he needs more time. For the time being I think him and JS are both equal. JS had a decent year at number 3. I think we can even consider Jahurul for number 3. Number 4 position has to go to either Mushy or Nayeem. I prefer Mushy. And than number 6 comes down to between Riyad and Nayeem. They both need to up their tempbo a bit and get ready for batting PP. Since Ashraful will be a part of the team no matter what our best shot at getting something out of him will probably be 7.

roman
October 29, 2010, 08:56 PM
http://tunesbd.net/imagehost/out.php/i452_123111.jpg

i doubt it,aleast that's what this picture tells us,seems like all the players out of the playing XI weren't enjoying this epic moment like everyone else(Jaharul,Nazmul and Dolar) :P

Russell is enjoying. He got all his teeth out:D

Eshen
October 29, 2010, 09:00 PM
But Kayes' role is not to play slam-bam! His role is to hang on to one end so others can play slam-bam from the other end, and he has been playing that role well (in our standard) so far.

Also, unlike Kayes, Jahurul has not been tested well against the new ball yet. If Kayes can continue what he has been doing for last one year, I don't see any reason to risk someone else from that position, unless a particular opener can show he belongs to a totally different level than Kayes do.

Jahirul is undoubtedly a good prospect, but he missed out in the first 3 rounds of NCL. He should continue to grow by being in the squad and will eventually have a cemented spot in the playing XI.
Ditto

Again, I have not seen enough of Jahurul at international level to comment whether he may be a good prospect to face the new ball, but, from what I have seen of him so far, I think this guy can fit into any role from 3 to 7, with proper grooming. But, he is, at this point, far from reaching his full potential. He should be handled cautiously and should not be thrust into a particular role.

Against Zim series, definitely SN. However, should BD win the first 3/4 games, I like to give Jahurul a chance.
I like the idea!

Abid_Khan
October 29, 2010, 09:32 PM
I'd have Siddique in no. 3 and Jahirul in no.4 and kick Raqibal out

Dilscoop
October 29, 2010, 09:42 PM
^^ exactly

Why should Shahriar be considered for number3

Rifat
October 29, 2010, 09:51 PM
Good poll Eshen.

Time will tell. I mean it should be based on current form. whomever has the potential to score the most runs at a strike rate over 70 should be considered.

Junaed is a very good slip fielder, lots of lapses in concentration happens to many players in their careers for many reasons. I guess It is difficult to contain excitement/emotions when your team is up 3-0 against a major test playing team like New Zealand for like the first time ever!. He should be rested from the ODI team until he gets his form+confidence back. He has the tendency to succeed more on Tests because he plays without pressure in that version, without having to worry much about the runrate.

like Mahir already said, Jahirul Islam should continue to hang around the team practice and get as much exposure as possible.

Shahriar Nafees: he is slowly crawling back into the national team. plays delightful shots sometimes but needs to be more careful.

You guys noticed something, how quickly things change in sports. every sports and cricket is no exception. Rokibul Hasan scored a nice 75 in England a couple of months ago and after the couple of months break, he is demanded by fans to be kicked out of the team. This is the uncertainty of sports: one day you are hero, the next day you are Zero.

I won't vote because these are three quality players with different playing styles. situation+form demanding, they should be used accordingly. :)

yaseer
October 29, 2010, 09:54 PM
Voted for SN but very close call between SN and Jahurul. I think 1st few matches against the ZIM series may give us a clear idea.

cricadda
October 29, 2010, 11:44 PM
My team....

tamim iqbal
imrul kayes
s. naffes
ashraful
shakib
musfiq
riad
naeem/shuvo
mash
razzal
rubel....

Naimul_Hd
October 30, 2010, 12:20 AM
I would rather go for "Jahurul" at the no.3 ahead of SN and Junaid.

Reason:
1. Too many Lefties at the top. (Tamim, Kayes, SN, Junaid)
2. Jahurul's technique is much better than rest two. He is very good at back footed shots as well.
3. Thinking cricketer.

Tigers_eye
October 30, 2010, 12:46 AM
Two lefty followed by right hand. A sensible one, not the one with block block block mentality. SN plays good against Spin in flat tracks (WC venues). So may be #4 is good for him.

Junaid: Chamra mota hoiye gasey. 2/3 ta match boshano uchit.

Night_wolf
October 30, 2010, 02:16 AM
how about we try mushfik??

tiger_army
October 30, 2010, 02:29 AM
Definitely SN.....
Everybody Should know how much he loves Zimbabwe.....

kalpurush
October 30, 2010, 02:30 AM
how about we try mushfik??
No - for #3
Yes- Welcome to BC my friend:)

kalpurush
October 30, 2010, 02:31 AM
Definitely SN.....
Everybody Should know how much he loves Zimbabwe.....
He surely should be selected for the upcoming Zimbabwe series :)

simon
October 30, 2010, 06:02 AM
I'd have Siddique in no. 3 and Jahirul in no.4 and kick Raqibal out

the way Raqib is playing in ncl i dont think this will happen,but i think 3 spot shld be shared between SN and Jahu.
man there r too many btsmen in the waiting list,:hairpull:
Ryad will be hppy as he bats low he has only Nayeem as competitor.

simon
October 30, 2010, 06:08 AM

like the idea too,
but on the other hand Raqib at 4 will play,so if he fails badly in first 2 mtchs then he shld be replcd by Jahu.

Shaan
October 30, 2010, 06:30 AM
ki Jhamela, onekdin por pulata(SN) qurbanir goru qurban dibe, ekahne dekhi lukjon tar mukher shikar(ZImbabwe) kere nite chaise, apnara ki tar pete lathi marthe chan :))

Voted for SN, he looks good recently, he is getting back his self confidence, as far we all know he is a good batsman who can score runs at will unlike some players in the team who stick in the crease but can't score.

M.H.Rubel
October 30, 2010, 06:39 AM
SN is a smart cricketer.As need he has shifted from opener to #3 batsman.I wish he ll be fix his problems well.His most positive side is he can mix aggression with caution very well and have mentality to play long innings.So my first preference is SN over Junaid
Jahurul will warm the seat no doubt but he ll have to work hard to grab position from SN or Junaid.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

lamisa
October 30, 2010, 09:52 AM
^^he can grab it from rok

fiasnahk
October 30, 2010, 09:55 AM
Wow alot of you sound like you dont know how a team is run. How can everyone be thinking of replacing Junaid? He had one bad series, but he did just as well as Rok, Mushy, Riyad... It wasnt that bad. And only a few months ago when he was scoring alot of runs, no one complained then. Now one bad series and one good series for shariar, means everyone wants to replace the No.3. A few months ago when Nafees did bad in the tests and no one wanted to give him a chance, now everyone wants him in the team. If we decided the team based on series by series performances, then we would only have shakib in the team, and Ash wouldnt have played for nine years. Let junaid perform badly for 6-7 months then drop him.

bd fan
October 30, 2010, 11:11 AM
My team:
Tamim
Imrul
Junaid
Shariah Nafees
Shakib
Mushfiq
Mahmudullah (if improved in Slogging)/Naeem
Mashrafe
Shuvo
Abdur Razzak
Shaiful

wiseshah
October 30, 2010, 11:55 AM
i am for jahurul, he played well in last couple series and he deserve a chance before world cup.

against zimbabwe, shahriar nafees will do well and will secure his position in world cup and he will show same performances like last world cup. i am so glad, mushfiq is in form, thats necessary for team

my team against zimbos

tamim (no replacement)
kayes (no replacement)
rokibul (he is slow and like dravid, he should bat at one down and play anchor role)/jahurul/SN
shakib
mushfiq
naeem/mahmudullah
ashraful (his ideal place plus power play benefit)
mashrafe/rubel
shuvo/naeem/mahmudullah
razzaq/shuvo/naeem/mahmudullah
shafiul/rubel

wiseshah
October 30, 2010, 11:58 AM
i guess this 5 will be out from team 20 members and stay as standby: shubhashis, junaed, rasel, shahadat, nazmul

Dilscoop
October 30, 2010, 02:18 PM
Look at the SN loving all of a sudden, after he made a fluke 50.

He is @2 in some teams, @3, @4. Even @5. Ya, lets clone this guy. Jezz we all seem to forget and forgive so quickly. And when it comes to hating, it doesn't take us long either

FagunerAgun
October 30, 2010, 05:08 PM
Because all are not necessarily and comprehensibly sanguine sympathetically appreciative critics.

Equinox
October 30, 2010, 07:29 PM
Wasn't at all convinced with SN. Pre-meditated a lot of his shots and unnecessarily came down the wicket too much. He tried too hard to emulate Tamim (but claimed he was playing his "natural game"), and came off looking ridiculous. But he's booked his name in the team sheet for this series and he will score like a maniac and book his place for the World Cup as well where he will inevitably fail unfortunately.

magic boy
October 30, 2010, 09:44 PM
I want to see a right handed batsman at n 3. Jahurul sounds good as no3 as well.that's it

shakibrulz
October 30, 2010, 10:28 PM
Look at the SN loving all of a sudden, after he made a fluke 50.

He is @2 in some teams, @3, @4. Even @5. Ya, lets clone this guy. Jezz we all seem to forget and forgive so quickly. And when it comes to hating, it doesn't take us long either
That 50 was one of his more convincing ones, unlike his fluke 100 vs Aus.

Ajfar
October 30, 2010, 10:38 PM
^ nah man that 100 against shane warne and co was one heck of an innings back than. Sure he wasnt able to repeat it again but that innings would still probably make the best 5 test innings played by our batsmans.