PDA

View Full Version : Who is Pont referring to?

abu2abu
November 4, 2010, 04:25 AM
I saw this article in yesterday's Daily Star:
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=161075 and wondered who is exactly Pont was talking about when he said the following:

"I don't know every fast bowler in the country but I would really like to see a really good one before I go.

"I know it will be hard and I don't get to work with everyone of them but I saw one today (during the Dhaka-Barisal NCL one-day game in Mirpur)," he said.?

Your guesses (or better) are welcome...

Rainman
November 4, 2010, 04:28 AM
Kamrul Islam Rabbi. recently took a five-for and played for the U19 team: http://www.cricinfo.com/bdeshdomestic-2010/content/player/375724.html

magic boy
November 4, 2010, 06:25 AM
http://www.cricinfo.com/inline/content/image/443677.html?alt=1
Kamrul Islam Rabbi
Bowling averages
Mat Inns Balls Runs Wkts BBI BBM Ave Econ SR 4w 5w 10
First-class 3 5 468 229 12 3/22 5/83 19.08 2.93 39.0 0 0 0
List A 4 4 204 210 12 5/64 5/64 17.50 6.17 17.0 1 1 0

looks promising

Zeeshan
November 4, 2010, 08:01 AM
Kamrul Islam Rabbi is a right-arm fast bowler who was included in the Bangladesh squad for the 2010 U-19 World Cup in New Zealand. He was in good form with the U-19 team through 2009, taking four-wicket hauls against Pakistan and Sri Lanka. He admires Dale Steyn and Wasim Akram. He made his first-class debut for Barisal Division in 2008-09. If he can't make it as a professional cricketer, he wants to be a forest officer.

Cricinfo Staff January 2010That's where the honey's are at.

Habib
November 4, 2010, 09:07 AM
^Boner raja howar ato shokh?

Tanvir703
November 4, 2010, 10:37 AM
Look at that LIst A stats from post 3!!!!!!

He gave only 12 RUNS!!! in 204 INNINGS!!!!!!! But only took .078 wickets...econ can be a little better then 17.0. But man look at that SR!!!! 1. Best pacer in the world atm!

Zeeshan
November 4, 2010, 10:42 AM
mb or mods could you please fix the encoding...the stats aren't aligning as the ones in CI.

roman
November 4, 2010, 11:05 AM
Batting and fielding averages
<TABLE class=engineTable><THEAD><TR class=head><TH class=left title="class name" noWrap></TH><TH title="matches played" noWrap>Mat</TH><TH title="innings batted" noWrap>Inns</TH><TH title="not outs" noWrap>NO</TH><TH title="runs scored" noWrap>Runs</TH><TH class=padAst title="highest inns score" noWrap>HS</TH><TH title="batting average" noWrap>Ave</TH><TH title="balls faced" noWrap>BF</TH><TH title="batting strike rate" noWrap>SR</TH><TH title="hundreds scored" noWrap>100</TH><TH title="fifties scored" noWrap>50</TH><TH title="boundary fours" noWrap>4s</TH><TH title="boundary sixes" noWrap>6s</TH><TH title="catches taken" noWrap>Ct</TH><TH title="stumpings made" noWrap>St</TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR class=data1><TD class=left noWrap>First-class</TD><TD noWrap>3</TD><TD noWrap>2</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>6</TD><TD class=padAst noWrap>6</TD><TD noWrap>3.00</TD><TD noWrap>16</TD><TD noWrap>37.50</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>1</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>2</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD class=left noWrap>List A</TD><TD noWrap>4</TD><TD noWrap>1</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>1</TD><TD class=padAst noWrap>1</TD><TD noWrap>1.00</TD><TD noWrap>6</TD><TD noWrap>16.66</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Bowling averages
<TABLE class=engineTable><THEAD><TR class=head><TH class=left title="class name" noWrap></TH><TH title="matches played" noWrap>Mat</TH><TH title="innings bowled in" noWrap>Inns</TH><TH title="balls bowled" noWrap>Balls</TH><TH title="runs conceded" noWrap>Runs</TH><TH title="wickets taken" noWrap>Wkts</TH><TH title="best innings bowling" noWrap>BBI</TH><TH title="best match bowling" noWrap>BBM</TH><TH title="bowling average" noWrap>Ave</TH><TH title="economy rate" noWrap>Econ</TH><TH title="bowling strike rate" noWrap>SR</TH><TH title="four wkts in an inns" noWrap>4w</TH><TH title="five wkts in an inns" noWrap>5w</TH><TH title="ten wkts in a match" noWrap>10</TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR class=data1><TD class=left noWrap>First-class</TD><TD noWrap>3</TD><TD noWrap>5</TD><TD noWrap>468</TD><TD noWrap>229</TD><TD noWrap>12</TD><TD noWrap>3/22</TD><TD noWrap>5/83</TD><TD noWrap>19.08</TD><TD noWrap>2.93</TD><TD noWrap>39.0</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD></TR><TR class=data1><TD class=left noWrap>List A</TD><TD noWrap>4</TD><TD noWrap>4</TD><TD noWrap>204</TD><TD noWrap>210</TD><TD noWrap>12</TD><TD noWrap>5/64</TD><TD noWrap>5/64</TD><TD noWrap>17.50</TD><TD noWrap>6.17</TD><TD noWrap>17.0</TD><TD noWrap>1</TD><TD noWrap>1</TD><TD noWrap>0</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

jisaan
November 4, 2010, 11:25 AM
i think it's sharif... he bowled a wonderful spell
* Sharif's bowling in the match 10-4-20-5!
* Kamrul ended up at 10-2-39-2
more importantly, kamrul got both his wickets early morning within 16 deliveries of play. don't think it's good enough 2 single u out
also, Pont may not hv been there dat early

jisaan
November 4, 2010, 11:29 AM
Can anybody give some more info abt him lyk:

Pace
height

reyme
November 4, 2010, 12:13 PM
I have a feeling it is Sharif.

Kana-Baba
November 4, 2010, 12:49 PM
sharif has potential to full fill the spot of 3rd pacer - he can reverse the ball better than anyone in the current team

Habib
November 4, 2010, 12:56 PM
sharif has potential to full fill the spot of 3rd pacer - he can reverse the ball better than anyone in the current team

But his pace is near rasel's pace & after bowling one over he looks like he has bowled 10 overs. I don't see much hope for him TBH.

MohammedC
November 4, 2010, 01:01 PM
I dont think it is Sharif even though he had very good game. If it is not Rabbi then it could be Talha he also played in that game.

dolcevita
November 4, 2010, 02:02 PM
It would have been a lot easier if the daily star's journalist had asked pont who is he refering to ?
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

Dilscoop
November 4, 2010, 02:16 PM
That's where the honey's are at.
It's not alway about the money ...

Nafi
November 4, 2010, 04:15 PM
Someone just ask Ian pont on facebook

al Furqaan
November 4, 2010, 06:05 PM

thats what we used to hear...but at 75 mph that doesn't mean anything, unless his control is mind boggling. but last time he played he did not seem to get any reverse swing of any kind. plus at his height, its tough to be a decent fast bowler.

cricket_king
November 4, 2010, 06:55 PM
Please not Sharif. That guy is AWFUL. A complete waste of a spot in the team.

Dilscoop
November 4, 2010, 08:05 PM
Why are you guys are crying out and hoping it's not Sharif guy? I mean obviously Pont knows and saw more than you BCers know. May be Sharif was bad in the past, but he could have improved. Or Pont sees the potential and can fix him and make him into a World Class. What's wrong with that and who will benefit out of it?

Stop being so hypocrite

beshideshi
November 4, 2010, 08:25 PM
Why are you guys are crying out and hoping it's not Sharif guy? I mean obviously Pont knows and saw more than you BCers know. May be Sharif was bad in the past, but he could have improved. Or Pont sees the potential and can fix him and make him into a World Class. What's wrong with that and who will benefit out of it?

Stop being so hypocrite

Have you ever seen Sharif bowl? He used to bowl at 70mph and that was before his injury, he hid his injury and played with it, further aggravating his injury and stayed out of the game for two years. He does have a bit of reverse swing, and from the last time I saw him in ICL he had decent control too; But, Rasel is a better version of Sharif.
Unless Sharif has improved his batting drastically, there is absolutely no way he is coming anywhere near the national team. That is the harsh truth.

Dilscoop
November 4, 2010, 09:28 PM
I don't know who Sharif is, but like I said, if it happens to be Sharif, I think Pont knows what he is talking about, at least more than you guys

Bancan
November 4, 2010, 09:50 PM
I don't know who Sharif is, but like I said, if it happens to be Sharif, I think Pont knows what he is talking about, at least more than you guys

http://www.cricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/player/55986.html

Dilscoop
November 4, 2010, 09:51 PM
http://www.cricinfo.com/bdeshdomestic-2010/engine/match/477202.html

It's Talha Jubair! Yay. I will be very happy if it's him. Pont seems to be going after tall players (Siddique Jahurul), so you never know.

al Furqaan
November 4, 2010, 10:09 PM

sharif is 5-6...if its talha, i don't have a problem. i think talha should have gotten a chance due to his domestic performance. he might still be rubbish, but he should at least get a go because andy roberts saw potential in him.

but kamrul looks to be good since Rabeed Imam talked about his "pace" and ability to "move the old ball". he's taken 12 wickets in 4 games, so that that is impressive.

AsifTheManRahman
November 4, 2010, 10:14 PM
Just ask him on Facebook, sheesh.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

beshideshi
November 4, 2010, 10:36 PM

If Pont thinks Sharif is the future of Bangladeshi pace attack, i am afraid I won't value his judgement from now on.
Also, you don't always need to get 5fers and 100s to attract the spot light, your body language, your technique, the way you approach the game is sufficient to attract scouts.

Night_wolf
November 4, 2010, 10:42 PM
If Pont thinks Sharif is the future of Bangladeshi pace attack, i am afraid I won't value his judgement from now on.
Also, you don't always need to get 5fers and 100s to attract the spot light, your body language, your technique, the way you approach the game is sufficient to attract scouts.

sharif isn't that bad...when he started he looked a very promising blower..injury halted his advance..not everybody has the determination of mash!:)

Dilscoop
November 4, 2010, 11:58 PM
Shafir played 25 INT game in total, and he played his last match almost 4 years ago. And some of you guys are judging him on that, you don't know if he has improved or not. And Pont recently saw him closely, he is a international bowling coach, made Akhtar and Dale Styen, wrote a book on bowling. hmmm, really hard for me to choose a side. And saying, you will judge Pont's judgment on his thought on Shafir is pure disrespect.

It's not like I am supporting Sharif, I am saying, you guys not bigger than Pont. And if Sharif is bad, I think Pont would see that. So we don't have worry about that.

And I hope it's Talha. I loved whenTalha and Mash played together. Those 2 tall fools looked huge next to Ash, Sujon. Then Shahdat took that spot, with his crappyness

beshideshi
November 5, 2010, 12:09 AM
sharif isn't that bad...when he started he looked a very promising blower..injury halted his advance..not everybody has the determination of mash!:)

Sharif started out as our solution to pace bowling problem, started off pretty well too. But after his injury[he was away for 2+ years?] he never came back.

And Dilscoop, I have been playing cricket for a while, so I am not an absolute newb at identifying talent. Have you seen ICL at all? Sharif played for DW and bowled less than ordinary, honestly speaking he will make Syed Rasel look like Glenn McGrath now. I just don't think Pont will consider a 28 year old, 5'6'' who bowls at 70mph over a 19 year old 6'~ with a much better action and future.
It will have to be Kamrul Islam or Talha Jubair. We have far better pacers than Sharif waiting in the pipeline and bringing him back to the national team will be nothing more than suicidal.

Also, I am not criticizing Pont, I am just saying Pont would not have talked about Sharif.

Ajfar
November 5, 2010, 12:36 AM
Dilscoop believe me if you had seen Sharif bowl even you'd be going please not him.

cricket_king
November 5, 2010, 01:19 AM

Stop being so hypocrite

Hypocritical*

LOL you obviously don't know who Sharif is. Maybe you should follow the domestic leagues a little more.

magic boy
November 5, 2010, 01:30 AM
Cool Down Folks,

its http://www.cricinfo.com/inline/content/image/443677.html?alt=1Kamrul Islam Rabbi
confirmed by Ian himself

bought to you by magic boy:cool: :p

Night_wolf
November 5, 2010, 01:33 AM
Cool Down Folks,

its http://www.cricinfo.com/inline/content/image/443677.html?alt=1Kamrul Islam Rabbi
confirmed by Ian himself

brought to you by magic boy:cool: :p

congrats ian's official PA:-D

Naimul_Hd
November 5, 2010, 02:22 AM
ponty babaji na abar fb account deactivate kore dey BC member der atyachar e ! :)

abu2abu
November 5, 2010, 06:12 AM
Makes sense if it was Rabbi, as Rainman says he recently took a five-fer. Sharif is unlikely, as he can hardly be described as "the future"...

Magic boy thanks for confirming. I agree the journo should just have been more explicit about whom he was referring to...

beshideshi
November 5, 2010, 06:45 AM
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716850964&v=wall

Wow, some of us need to stop polluting Pont's account, it will be made "uber private" if this goes on.

Ajfar
November 5, 2010, 06:49 AM
^ I know I saw people having conversation in his status comment in banglish. Im like seriously?

Naimul_Hd
November 5, 2010, 06:50 AM
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=716850964&v=wall

Wow, some of us need to stop polluting Pont's account, it will be made "uber private" if this goes on.

Exactly.

I feel for him. I am sure that, by now, he has opened another account which is private.

Murad
November 5, 2010, 07:43 AM
^^^
This is the reason I didn't add him. What's the point of adding him if you can read his wall? or view his photos?

MohammedC
November 5, 2010, 08:01 AM
^^^ my thought was same

Ajfar
November 5, 2010, 10:24 AM
Some people are way too much. I'm quoting someone from his wall "sir i want to be a student of you. r u agree? i want to be a cricketer". Are you serious?

I see people writing to him, oh sir you should work him because he can do this and that. Amader public beshi bujhe. You don't need to tell Pont what to do. He wrote a freaking book on fast bowling i'm sure he will make the best out of what he's got.

Habib
November 5, 2010, 10:41 AM
Some people are way too much. I'm quoting someone from his wall "sir i want to be a student of you. r u agree? i want to be a cricketer". Are you serious?

I see people writing to him, oh sir you should work him because he can do this and that. Amader public beshi bujhe. You don't need to tell Pont what to do. He wrote a freaking book on fast bowling i'm sure he will make the best out of what he's got.

That's why I oppose the idea of coaches visiting fan forum. Facebookey ey obostha r forum e ashle to shobar advise er thelay...

Dilscoop
November 5, 2010, 11:27 AM
Exactly.

I feel for him. I am sure that, by now, he has opened another account which is private.

I wouldn't worry so much, it's a fake FB. No real personal info. And look at his music column, really? He likes some Indian chick from Frisco. Some guy just opened it up, and started putting link from the internet. Even his wall posts are quote from Cricinfo, nothing from himself

magic boy
November 5, 2010, 11:39 AM
guys this is not facebook thread. so better lets not get carried away from main topic.

nakibahmed
November 5, 2010, 11:54 AM
Cool Down Folks,

confirmed by Ian himself

bought to you by magic boy:cool: :p

good god,man you serious? :P

RazabQ
November 5, 2010, 12:29 PM
@ Dilscoop: That is Ian's real FB account. Having said that, people need to be judicious about what they post there

And yes as suspected by many it's Rabbi he's talking about though today my favorite, Robin had quite a day!

Dilscoop
November 5, 2010, 12:31 PM
Then I should add him as friend. :D

Wait, how do you know it's real?

RazabQ
November 5, 2010, 12:34 PM
Interactions that are not made public

jisaan
November 5, 2010, 01:25 PM
Sharif started out as our solution to pace bowling problem, started off pretty well too. But after his injury[he was away for 2+ years?] he never came back.

And Dilscoop, I have been playing cricket for a while, so I am not an absolute newb at identifying talent. Have you seen ICL at all? Sharif played for DW and bowled less than ordinary, honestly speaking he will make Syed Rasel look like Glenn McGrath now. I just don't think Pont will consider a 28 year old, 5'6'' who bowls at 70mph over a 19 year old 6'~ with a much better action and future.
It will have to be Kamrul Islam or Talha Jubair. We have far better pacers than Sharif waiting in the pipeline and bringing him back to the national team will be nothing more than suicidal.

Also, I am not criticizing Pont, I am just saying Pont would not have talked about Sharif.

1) Don't agree on that. even after injury, he bowled around 80mph

2) This is really good.... another guy towering above 6ft!!!! huh! thankfully those liliput days r ovr...

al Furqaan
November 5, 2010, 05:01 PM
Interactions that are not made public

i got shot down on fb, pretty hard. even women usually don't shoot me down that harshly...:-D

RazabQ
November 5, 2010, 06:54 PM
Given the chachrami of some of the recent adds, do yo blame the man?

Naimul_Hd
November 5, 2010, 07:18 PM
i got shot down on fb, pretty hard. even women usually don't shoot me down that harshly...:-D

haha...was that u ? damn....tht must have been hurt !! :)

Dilscoop
November 5, 2010, 11:26 PM
LOL What did he say. I really wanna know!

Habib
November 5, 2010, 11:38 PM
LOL What did he say. I really wanna know!

Me too. It's fun to see furqaan getting bashed.

Blah
November 5, 2010, 11:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/oex6D.png

al Furqaan
November 6, 2010, 12:06 AM
Given the chachrami of some of the recent adds, do yo blame the man?

who added him and what did they do?

some of that stuff comes with the territory of being in the public eye...a lot of people would sell their souls to the devil to be a celebrity...believe me, i've put myself out on the market, but no word from that 'Old Deluder' yet.

al Furqaan
November 6, 2010, 12:10 AM
OK nm, i see some of the ridiculous requests for him to teach ppl how to bowl fast...lmao

Dilscoop
November 6, 2010, 12:33 AM
Bengalies and Chamchami :facepalm

Btw that wasn't a shot down. The way you said it, I thought he flipped out, but it was nothing like that

Dilscoop
November 6, 2010, 12:34 AM
And stop calling him coach, he is not your coach. He has a name. Call him by his name or last name. Jezz, learn some manners.

beshideshi
November 6, 2010, 02:53 AM
1) Don't agree on that. even after injury, he bowled around 80mph

2) This is really good.... another guy towering above 6ft!!!! huh! thankfully those liliput days r ovr...

The last time I saw him he was barely hitting 75mph mark. I did go a bit overboard but I still doubt he bowls around 80mph. And if you wanna have a look at Rabbi bowling, go check out the "video link request" thread.

Tiger Manc
November 6, 2010, 08:56 AM
This is what one guy wrote about Ian Pont 5 YEARS AGO!! I was browsing academy threads when I stumbled across this.

August 26, 2005, 04:18 PM
LBW103
Street Cricketer Join Date: August 25, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have posted this before about Ian Pont.

He's the Specialist Fast Bowling Coach at Essex and they reckon he's the best in the world. Why can't we get him for the Tigers and get him to set up a fast bowling camp?

He has a web site, which I found via the Essex site. This guy seems perfect!

www.maverickscricket.com

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=12331

Good spot LBW103!!

Zunaid
November 6, 2010, 09:09 AM
And stop calling him coach, he is not your coach. He has a name. Call him by his name or last name. Jezz, learn some manners.

That is how you refer to a coach. Coach. That is showing respect. Same as you would call someone chef. That is how it is done.

Zunaid
November 6, 2010, 09:13 AM
Good find Tiger Man and an even better call LBW103!! Come down here and take a bow.

ammark
November 6, 2010, 11:32 AM
VladMamu eirokom BC chhaira Facebook maare.... tar bou'e kisu koy na??

Rajput
November 6, 2010, 11:49 AM
Hmmmm! Looks like Aamir went through plastic surgery,migrated to BD and was spotted by Pont.

Murad
November 6, 2010, 01:20 PM
Hmmmm! Looks like Aamir went through plastic surgery,migrated to BD and was spotted by Pont.

:hairpull::hairpull::hairpull:

al Furqaan
November 6, 2010, 02:11 PM
That is how you refer to a coach. Coach. That is showing respect. Same as you would call someone chef. That is how it is done.

Thanks, Doc mama.

al Furqaan
November 6, 2010, 02:12 PM
VladMamu eirokom BC chhaira Facebook maare.... tar bou'e kisu koy na??

thats what i was wondering...but is it our Vlad? Last i remember, our vlad was only interested in forget cricket and knew nothing about the sport. how would he even think to befriend Pont on fb?

RazabQ
November 6, 2010, 07:40 PM
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

RazabQ
November 6, 2010, 07:41 PM
More likeli it's abu2abu. And to echo Z-bhai: good find lbw!
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

jisaan
November 7, 2010, 01:44 AM
The last time I saw him he was barely hitting 75mph mark. I did go a bit overboard but I still doubt he bowls around 80mph. And if you wanna have a look at Rabbi bowling, go check out the "video link request" thread.

thx.

a bit disappointed.
he hardly looks a 'tearaway' pace-prospect.
neither does he looks as tall as 6 ft.../:)

Zunaid
November 7, 2010, 02:13 AM
Thanks, Doc mama.

And stop calling me mama, i am not your mama. I has a name. Call me by my name or last name. Jezz, learn some manners.

ammark
November 7, 2010, 03:42 AM
More likeli it's abu2abu. And to echo Z-bhai: good find lbw!

Posted via BC Mobile Edition

My bad. Vlad Tepes is Romanian for Vlad the Impaler. I knew that. Not fair to think of our Czech mamu as being son of the devil.

al Furqaan
November 7, 2010, 03:48 AM
And stop calling me mama, i am not your mama. I has a name. Call me by my name or last name. Jezz, learn some manners.

Ur an uncle by way of relation...perhaps even by blood...that is what you call uncles, Mama. That is how it is done.

cricket_king
November 7, 2010, 04:34 AM

Lawl. "Jezz". :up:

Dilscoop
November 7, 2010, 12:40 PM
(funny)
yea real mature...

al Furqaan
November 7, 2010, 02:57 PM
(funny)
yea real mature...

Relax, he's just messin with ya...Old people occaisionally experience regression...:-D

Rifat
November 7, 2010, 03:01 PM
Kamrul Islam Rabbi might debut soon :)

perhaps within an year or so...

Well Done Pont for spotting a talent like him! :up:

munnabhai
November 7, 2010, 08:29 PM
Kamrul Islam Rabbi might debut soon :)

perhaps within an year or so...

Well Done Pont for spotting a talent like him! :up:

I hope he's a good prospect for our future pace fast bowling

Zeeshan
November 7, 2010, 08:38 PM
Vlad tepes is someone else

Eshen
November 8, 2010, 06:39 PM
^Boner raja howar ato shokh?
See nothing wrong with that, considering he (Kamrul) grew up close to a world famous ban, ie Sundarban.

Habib
November 8, 2010, 09:15 PM
See nothing wrong with that, considering he (Kamrul) grew up close to a world famous ban, ie Sundarban.

You didn't get what I referred to.