PDA

View Full Version : Captaincy Conundrum! who should lead us in WC 2011?

Jadukor
November 9, 2010, 02:33 AM
Lots of talks and opinions in news papers about whether it should be Mashrafi or Shakib... I am curious to know what the most knowlegeable group (BC members) of BD cricket fans think about the issue.

In my opinion there are pros and cons to both...

Mashrafi
The good thing about Mashrafi has to be his people management skills... A guy with a good heart and someone who is liked by all... He is one of the few remaining seniors in the team and has been a great servent of Bangladesh cricket... He also seems like an emotional character who needs the mental support to lift his game and the responsibility of captaincy might just energize him to great things come feb. However the downside is that his captaincy credentials have not really been tested in the international arena and he is far too injury prone... His lack of pace and death bowling is also an area of concern... can he emulate the performance of 2007 WC remains a question...

Shakib
On the other hand we have Shakib... an amazingly talented cricketer and a shrewd leader with a very straight forward mindset and a person who knows little diplomacy... His press conferences and comments to the media about other players...especially criticisms indicates that while he may have the respect of the group but might not be loved by all... (this is my juddgement only)... Personally i like people who are blunt/straight on about how they feel about a certain issue... but unfortunately it may not be ideal for bangladehi culture where seniority is such a big issue. So with him leading the team is likely to function well when Shakib himself is performing well... through his performace he can galvanize the team... but if Shakib's performance start to wane then i fear there will a lot of infighting....

overall I think I would still go with Shakib simply on the basis of his competence and fearlessness as a captain on the field...

One World
November 9, 2010, 02:35 AM
Seniority was never been an issue, if that was SN or Rajin would not have made it when more senior players were around.

Jadukor
November 9, 2010, 02:57 AM
Seniority was never been an issue, if that was SN or Rajin would not have made it when more senior players were around.

if it isn't then why isn't Shakib being made the captain right now for the remaining series and WC?... Don't you think that to have a settled team we should get rid of the captaincy uncertainty as soon as possible?

BANFAN
November 9, 2010, 05:13 AM
A fit Mash was ok but an unfit Mash needs to remain away from captaincy. It's true that the captaincy responsibility motivates him to perform better, but that's more damaging due to his injury. infact if he is motivated to give more than normal, he is exposed to more risk of injury and wearing out early. So, for the interest of him and the team he needs to remain fit to make normal performance, we shouldnt look for more from him and lose him completely.

Shakib has proven, he can lead and he clearly should be make the captain. I don't understand why BCB is making a case out of such simple decision.

mac
November 9, 2010, 05:57 AM
So with him leading the team is likely to function well when Shakib himself is performing well... through his performace he can galvanize the team... but if Shakib's performance start to wane then i fear there will a lot of infighting....

overall I think I would still go with Shakib simply on the basis of his competence and fearlessness as a captain on the field...

Exactly!!!

simon
November 9, 2010, 06:34 AM
khoob beshi kichu bujhina but my heart & brain says let it be Mashrafe.
I don't want such a young player like Sakib to take so much pressure,he is the best bowler ,he is the best btsman(in ODI) & now he has to lead his side,it's just too much,we need to free his arms a bit.

Abid_Khan
November 9, 2010, 06:38 AM
Didn't Shakib say himself that he did not want to be captain? I dunno

Naimul_Hd
November 9, 2010, 06:42 AM
A Poll would have been perfect for this thread !

My vote goes to Mashrafe if he remains fit to play.

simon
November 9, 2010, 08:14 AM
Didn't Shakib say himself that he did not want to be captain? I dunno

ya,right.

roman
November 9, 2010, 08:37 AM
It should be Mashrafe(if he is fit).. It will be unfair if the captaincy goes to Shak..

Jadukor
November 9, 2010, 09:34 AM
It should be Mashrafe(if he is fit).. It will be unfair if the captaincy goes to Shak..

but the point is what is the best choice for our Country... fairness and unfairness to an individual is secondary here...

Habib
November 9, 2010, 09:51 AM
As mentioned by Jadukor- Mash needs mental support to lift his game. And that quality alone should count Mash out because a true leader doesn't need any mental support but he himself provides support to every player.

lamisa
November 9, 2010, 10:04 AM
for me it's defo mash provided he's 100% fit.

Rabz
November 9, 2010, 10:07 AM
Till the world cup, it should be Sakib.

We can't always have the deputy taking over at the beginning of the series.

Murad
November 9, 2010, 10:26 AM
Roqibul Hasan

Haru-party
November 9, 2010, 10:31 AM
:mad::timeout::hairpull:Roqibul Hasan

PoorFan
November 9, 2010, 10:35 AM
Mash should declare himself unfit for captaincy till WC, reasoning lack of his fitness. That would do easy for everyone.

roman
November 9, 2010, 10:37 AM
Roqibul Hasan

http://paloadmin.prothom-aloblog.com:8088/resize/maxDim/640x480/img/uploads/gallery/media-files/image/2010-10-07-16-15-55-085533000-4.jpg

Or we can make Rasel Captain and Dollar Vice captain..

roman
November 9, 2010, 10:56 AM
but the point is what is the best choice for our Country... fairness and unfairness to an individual is secondary here...

Agree with you. Look, Shak is our #1 bowler, he is one of our key batsmen, outstanding fielder... we expect a lot from him every time he plays...do you really want to load him up with another responsibility and that too of a captaincy? Just take a look at Ash, he was our main batsman prior to his captaincy and look at him now. Not everyone can put up with that load of being a captain. Shak was successul as a captain but lets not give him so much to do other wise Shak will burn out...So to make Mash (if fit) our captain for the WC is the best option for our country..

Ajfar
November 9, 2010, 10:59 AM
Playing Mash in the team is a gamble itself. There is no guarantee he won't get injured again on the field. So better be safe than sorry. Shakib gets my vote.

AsifTheManRahman
November 9, 2010, 11:05 AM
This shouldn't even be a discussion. At this time there is only one man in the country who can lead us to glory. Of course, he needs to be penalized if he fails to fetch the World Cup for us, but then who doesn't?

Night_wolf
November 9, 2010, 11:16 AM
This shouldn't even be a discussion. At this time there is only one man in the country who can lead us to glory. Of course, he needs to be penalized if he fails to fetch the World Cup for us, but then who doesn't?

vai apni ki realistic vabe 2011 wc jitar asa koren?

AsifTheManRahman
November 9, 2010, 11:30 AM
Nah, kori na. Amader playerra ekekta ekektar theke boro loser. World Cup jetar tagid jodi thakto tahole jitte parto, na jitar kono karon chilo na. Kintu eishob olosh laj-lojjahin goalless belless polapain niya eishob shombhob na.

AsifTheManRahman
November 9, 2010, 11:34 AM
Nah, kori na. Amader playerra ekekta ekektar theke boro loser. World Cup jetar tagid jodi thakto tahole jitte parto, na jitar kono karon chilo na. Kintu eishob olosh laj-lojjahin goalless belless polapain niya eishob shombhob na.
Having said that, there is only one shooper human who can do it for us, albeit being a leader of sissies, cry babies, ghor-jamais and pink ponies and underpants and unicorns.

sir john
November 9, 2010, 11:37 AM
i think mortaza.

roman
November 9, 2010, 11:52 AM
Having said that, there is only one shooper human who can do it for us, albeit being a leader of sissies, cry babies, ghor-jamais and pink ponies and underpants and unicorns.

Vai jaan Zunaid re shamne paile je ki korten chinta korei hashi passe...

shakibrulz
November 9, 2010, 01:17 PM
If Shakib can, obviously Shakib. But somehow I've noticed that Mashrafe performs better while he is leading the team, so a fair choice.

simon
November 9, 2010, 03:32 PM
Till the world cup, it should be Sakib.

We can't always have the deputy taking over at the beginning of the series.

so far this incident happened twice,and it worked incredibly well for the team.;)
so another good reason to keep Mash as cptn.:) just kiddin

FagunerAgun
November 9, 2010, 05:05 PM
It is should be the Ice Man....Mash is injury prone.

wiseshah
November 9, 2010, 05:34 PM
though i always support mashrafe but i think its time for Iceman. mashrafe is not even sure main XI candidate. so my vote is for shakib.

FaridpurChicago
November 9, 2010, 05:46 PM
Beshi jhamela hoile I prefer bringing back Habibul Bashar from retirement. And then let Bashar bring JO and Sanaul haq as opener. I liked their opening partnership when playing first full over was a big achievement. If Bashar can bring Shanto as opening baller then it will be a complete team.

Now seriously, a fit Mash is always a better captain than Shakib. Shakib knows how to perform but Mash can make people perform. On Shakib's captaincy, the team becomes a 1-2 man show, TI is the only other performer along with him.

Haru-party
November 9, 2010, 06:25 PM

yes

Haru-party
November 9, 2010, 06:26 PM
wc 2011. bd-er captain mash 1st over ball korte giyei kupokat.....tar poriborte dayitto kadhe tule nilen shakib al hasan aka iceman aka bossman aka captain fantastic aka nostradamus abong tarpor bakita itihash :D

Miraz
November 9, 2010, 06:34 PM
Mushfiqur Rahim. Too much pressure on Shakib.

22Yards
November 9, 2010, 06:48 PM
The truth is after coming back from injury, mashrafe has done nothing since then to secure his place in the regular XI. Even shafiul and rubel did better than him. But i believe he's gonna get a green light to play the WC regardless he performs or not because we are short of pace bowlers as always and from his previous merit. I am not satisfied with only a fit mashrafe but the one who also performs, only then he can first secure his place and then have the captaincy.

22Yards
November 9, 2010, 06:50 PM

He's too young don't you think ? You can argue Shakib is young too but my counterargument would be Shakib is an exception.

Ajfar
November 9, 2010, 06:57 PM

I'm all up for that. But I think first he needs to reach some sort of consistency with his batting.

Jadukor
November 9, 2010, 08:50 PM

mushfiqur rahim er keeping er emnitei baaje obostha....tar upor captaincy deele shakib er akta catch o dhorte parbena...

Naimul_Hd
November 9, 2010, 09:51 PM
http://paloadmin.prothom-aloblog.com:8088/resize/maxDim/640x480/img/uploads/gallery/media-files/image/2010-10-07-16-15-55-085533000-4.jpg

Or we can make Rasel Captain and Dollar Vice captain..

batting korte kosto lage....tai jamar vitor bat lukaye rakhche !! :floor:

roman
November 9, 2010, 09:56 PM

it might work in the future but not now...

roman
November 9, 2010, 09:57 PM
batting korte kosto lage....tai jamar vitor bat lukaye rakhche !! :floor:

kintu ekbar chinta koren ei dui modon captain hole team er chehara ta ki hobe...

al Furqaan
November 9, 2010, 11:59 PM
i think its a no brainer: shakib all the way...till he retires at age 40

rimon88
November 10, 2010, 12:58 AM
Leading a team is about the mechanics of team chemistry. Here it is sad for BD cricket that Mashrafi was irregular in the squad for last 12 months or so for injury. But taking it as a part of a player's career this team will be better off with a leader on the field who has a first hand idea about the ongoing actual capability of his players in the field rather than a spectator leader from out of the field.

WC is not just another series or tournament. You don't test here or shuffle for combination. That's you already did in last 4 years. The buck stops here. Every team will put up their best possible team here, so will BD. We are lucky that we have 2 perfectly qualified leaders to captain the BD team.

Hence Shakib edges out Mashrafi on up close and personal know how of players' performance and capacity and the team chemistry in the field where it matters most to work out a decision mechanics of a game. On that basis, In a close game I see Mashrafi will fumble whereas Shakib will deliver the fight with the best weapon BD team has at its discretion in flying colors. That's the mechanics Mashrafi will lack because of his recent irregular in field presence.

reyme
November 10, 2010, 12:49 PM
^^^Brilliant!

FagunerAgun
November 10, 2010, 01:22 PM
Leading a team is about the mechanics of team chemistry. Here it is sad for BD cricket that Mashrafi was irregular in the squad for last 12 months or so for injury. But taking it as a part of a player's career this team will be better off with a leader on the field who has a first hand idea about the ongoing actual capability of his players in the field rather than a spectator leader from out of the field.

WC is not just another series or tournament. You don't test here or shuffle for combination. That's you already did in last 4 years. The buck stops here. Every team will put up their best possible team here, so will BD. We are lucky that we have 2 perfectly qualified leaders to captain the BD team.

Hence Shakib edges out Mashrafi on up close and personal know how of players' performance and capacity and the team chemistry in the field where it matters most to work out a decision mechanics of a game. On that basis, In a close game I see Mashrafi will fumble whereas Shakib will deliver the fight with the best weapon BD team has at its discretion in flying colors. That's the mechanics Mashrafi will lack because of his recent irregular in field presence.
Excellent!

Night_wolf
November 10, 2010, 01:26 PM

good post!!

but one thing i dont think mash will fumble in close games..that win vs eng was a pretty close game where mash was the captain

Murad
November 10, 2010, 01:29 PM
:mad::timeout::hairpull:

C'mon man. Cool down. Save those hair for the game he captains ;)

rimon88
November 10, 2010, 02:57 PM
That's one game for Mashrafi after he got back from injury whereas Shakib had 5 or 6 of them with this bunch of players. And the logic will be Mashrafi did not had chance; but that is the point isn't it.

Injury is not good or bad, just is a part of the game. It can happen to Shakib, Mashrafi or anybody. BD will be better off going with the confidence builder than with a chance taker at this time frame for this WC.

rinathq
November 11, 2010, 03:26 PM
Mashrafee have missed out on occasions where he was supposed to take the trophy but he didnt. Every series win where Mashrafee was away, it would have been easier. However, Sakib has done brilliantly so far. I dunt mind either one of them as a captain but i really want Mash to play. And i think for true athlete, this should be the most important factor. If Mash gets back on this series and does not injured and plays well, i think he should stay as a captain. Because he have already gone through so much pain and pressure taking away his captaincy will destroy the swagger inside him. However, is he seemed to be struggling, than Shakib should lead

simon
November 11, 2010, 03:49 PM
^^^ya,seems like Mash as a captain is the opposite of Dhoni.

reyme
November 11, 2010, 08:48 PM
Shakib may not be there yet, but in terms of "prudency" and "leading from the front" capability he is miles ahead of Mash. Shakib needs to be more attacking when we are ahead and must have the killing instinct to finish it off right away when we have the advantage. For example when the opposition is 5 wickets down for 20, there is no point to spread the field. Just go for the kill. Still he is a much better captain than Haba, Shujan, Pilot, and Ash.

reyme
November 11, 2010, 08:52 PM
Another thing about Mash is he tend to crumble under pressure. He messed up death overs many times, and cost us a few matches in the process. Shakib on the other hand showed tremendous calmness under ultimate pressure situation. Remember how he was encouraging Rubel after conceding a boundary, when NZ needed just 4 runs off 4 balls. It was a true couragious act, he was smiling! Just amazing.

22Yards
November 11, 2010, 08:59 PM
Thats it. Shakib Al Hasan for 2011

Jadukor
November 11, 2010, 10:18 PM
Do we have a captain named for the Zim series?... I guess BCB people themselves are also divided on this issue. I think this needs to be settled right away because the team needs time to gel together under one captain...

If BC member's opinions are any indication... then probably the captaincy will be handed to Shakib till the worldcup... but the concern is that BCB isn't always known for making wise decisions...

Night_wolf
November 11, 2010, 11:01 PM
i guess we r the only team in the world right now who havent fixed its captain for the wc yet...bcb is a joke!

catstrophy
November 12, 2010, 04:40 AM
My vote is for Sakib for sure

SMHasan
November 12, 2010, 05:01 AM
Shakib should lead the team given that he is eager to lead. He prforms better when le leads the team and it's the sign of a natural leader. Mash was a good choice for sure but his vulnerability is the main problem.

Shakib is more attacking than Mashrafe. Mashrafe wasn't with the team for one year or so. We just cannot take this risk in the world cup. We don't wana see Shakib is taking over from an injured Mash in the middle of the WC!

Mashrafe needs to grow up a bit. His dress sense made me mad during the WC coundown show the night before last night. How can a captain wear a T-Shirt full of rubish arts?and he was showing his belt buckles!He just showed how long he has to go as a leader.

Remember Sourav Ganguly was wearing formal dress so as other guests. Mashrafe made a huge mess.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

rinathq
November 12, 2010, 05:58 PM
^^
i think he has better things to do rather than worrying about dressing up to a countdown event!

Bancan
November 12, 2010, 06:07 PM
^^
i think he has better things to do rather than worrying about dressing up to a countdown event!

I am sorry but its a whole package. If you are leader, you need act like one and DRESS the part. He looks like a jersey shore reject.

22Yards
November 12, 2010, 06:09 PM
Look the only reason mashrafe was even considered to be the captain was because shakib was having a poor run with the bat and the selectors ( and lot of BC members too) thought that was due to him being under too much pressure, the captaincy was removed to subdue some of that pressure. I think it was Shakibs lack of judgement (he was attacking too soon if you remember, flashing at almost anything outside off) than him being in pressure that messed with his batting. Now that he seems to have come out of that I think there is no question who needs to lead. Seriously, Mash hasnt done anything to prove why he should lead us (or why should he be in the team first place for the matter). On the other hand, i think Shakib is a born leader, pressure never gets on him which is such a vital quality to have as a leader. I hope BCB makes the right decision or else it could cost us a bit too much in the WC.

22Yards
November 12, 2010, 06:12 PM
Sorry i just realized, mashrafe was named captain way before that but he was injured and so shakib took over him but still theres no way you cant see shakib over mash for WC and most people do see it.

simon
November 12, 2010, 06:14 PM
actually we hvn't seen much of Mash as a capt.
So I suggest Mash to lead agnst Zim & if he looks perfect than he shld lead in WC.
In fact against Eng Mash looked ok to me & I remember many BC members were very happy that Mash replaced Sakib(like me).
Its only after Sakib did so well agnst NZ that many r now keen to see Sakib as capt.
I'm sure if Sak fails in the next 2-3 matches people will start saying he isnt ready for cptncy.

rinathq
November 12, 2010, 06:24 PM
I am sorry but its a whole package. If you are leader, you need act like one and DRESS the part. He looks like a jersey shore reject.

u r right but it should never be the main concern. Looks at ash, he always looks like he is the star or something when really he does not even make the team !
I admit he couldve dressed better though :) although i am not concerned about it!

rinathq
November 12, 2010, 06:25 PM
So I suggest Mash to lead agnst Zim & if he looks perfect than he shld lead in WC.
In fact against Eng Mash looked ok to me & I remember many BC members were very happy that Mash replaced Sakib(like me).
Its only after Sakib did so well agnst NZ that many r now keen to see Sakib as capt.
I'm sure if Sak fails in the next 2-3 matches people will start saying he isnt ready for cptncy.

After all, we are Bengali :):lol:

22Yards
November 12, 2010, 09:29 PM

Thats the whole point. We haven't seen anything of Mash as a capt whereas we did see a lot from shakib. As someone said earlier, WC is not a place to experiment, or try out new things. Its when you put up your best, tested squad that has been proven to work prior to the big event. Even if Mash does well against zimbabwe, i wouldnt be convinced since shakib has led us through tougher teams in tougher situations and been successful a lot of the times.

Rabz
November 13, 2010, 01:54 AM
We have seen Mash's captaincy a bit.
We won against England in England but then subsequently lost to Ireland and Netherlands on their home ground.
You be the judge.

Night_wolf
November 13, 2010, 02:09 AM
^yes but there us a saying that big occasions brings the best out of big players..so u never know...

kalpurush
November 13, 2010, 04:50 AM
^yes but there us a saying that big occasions brings the best out of big players..so u never know...
Who is the big player?

kalpurush
November 13, 2010, 04:51 AM
We have seen Mash's captaincy a bit.
We won against England in England but then subsequently lost to Ireland and Netherlands on their home ground.
You be the judge.
Sheyaler moto judge holey kaj serechhe...!!!;)

kalpurush
November 13, 2010, 04:53 AM
In the current squad, I do NOT see any place for Mash (if your selection based on performance). Captain to durer kotha.

Though, he certainly deserves to be in the final 13. :)

Night_wolf
November 13, 2010, 05:11 AM
Who is the big player?

well considering our short cricketing history wont u call mash a big player for our country?
surely he isn't a international cricketing legend...but he is a legend if u just consider Bangladesh cricket only

kalpurush
November 13, 2010, 07:03 AM
surely he isn't a international cricketing legend...but he is a legend if u just consider Bangladesh cricket only
Yes, agree with you my friend:)

BASSMAN
November 13, 2010, 07:36 AM
My heart says Shakib but my head says Mashrafee.

Shakib for Vice Captain.

Jadukor
November 23, 2010, 03:59 AM
I guess we wont have to wait much longer... I read somewhere the squad will be announced around 25-26th Nov....

Rabz
November 23, 2010, 05:36 AM
The Conundrum should be over soon.
Its more likely Sakib.

Night_wolf
November 23, 2010, 06:56 AM
^i thing the bcb officials have the guts to put shakib as the leader..

Night_wolf
November 23, 2010, 07:04 AM
http://i51.tinypic.com/2rrwaxu.jpg
vai eita kotokahni sotto??...akhon ki j bisas korbo r ki korbona kisu bujhina..
http://www.jugantor.info/enews/issue/2010/11/23/news0452.php

AsifTheManRahman
November 23, 2010, 10:26 AM
If it's true, it just proves that no one in the country - except maybe for two individuals - wants to win. Who the heck gives a crap about "bhalo byabohar"? This isn't nursery school.

cricket_dorshok
November 23, 2010, 10:49 AM
I told before, I tell you again 'LOTA' does not want 'iceman' as a captain. What the hell is 'bhalo bebohar'. We need performance not 'kodombushi'. Stupid, akamer board director and president.

Reaz
November 23, 2010, 03:06 PM
BCB is now that goose which lays golden eggs. All these politicians and their chamchas are flocking around BCB. The poison of politics is very much in to the Cricket of Bangladesh now. If you go against their interest they will do everything to destroy you. Talk against them in public, they will give you lesson, every way they can. They are the politicians of Bangladesh who knows how to take revenge.

Poor Shakib, you are born to a country where there is no value of honest judgment. Your straight forward and bold statements are considered arrogance! Remember they will not even hesitate to take their personal grievances on you. Talk about personal jealousy, it is also playing a huge role.

Shakib and Tamim, please remain very vigilant and tactful. You two are too good a player to be a victim of nasty politics. We can feel and smell the politics around you. Even the journalists are also becoming unforgiving on issues which are absolutely worthless. Potential and good players became victim of politics and disappeared from our cricketing arena in the past. Remember, it had happened before and it may happen again

Enough said about the competency of both Shakib and Mash. Mash, no doubt, was pride of our past but now the torch is on the hand of Shakib. Mash didn't do anything within last one year to even get a chance in the playing eleven. But, why BCB is so persistent with Mash? Because Shakib spoke boldly, in public against a so called Big Guy. That Big Guy made him apologise on kneeling position in front of the whole world. Luckily Shakib was too good a player to be completely written off. Shakib is still paying the price and possibly pay more in the future years to come. If it was anyone else than Shakib, that player would have been a history by now.

Shakib and Tamim, please remain watchful from these parasites, at least for the sake of us, the supporters!

Bancan
November 23, 2010, 08:39 PM
Effing idiots.

Jadukor
November 24, 2010, 01:59 AM
If our board of directors think that their egos are of more importance than the worldcup then they will go ahead with this plan... if Mashrafi and Razzaq becomes Captain and Vice Captain... we will create the same style of grouping in the team that destroyed Pakistan Cricket... I always thought no matter how idiotic our Board is... its still better than PCB's Izaz Butt and co... but if what Jugantor is claiming become true... and it affects Shakib's performance... then we would be on equal ground with Izaz Butt in terms of foresight...

I hope this Jugantor report turns out to be another fabricated Fox news kinda report...

lamisa
November 24, 2010, 11:23 AM
^^whre did u get razzak from?

roman
November 24, 2010, 11:39 AM
^^whre did u get razzak from?

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=34597&page=7

Post# 264

rinathq
November 24, 2010, 12:59 PM
Well guiss, u guiss have to admit almost every player in our team is a little arrogant. Even Mash himself. Although he respects the board. I dunt think Shakib is actually "mean" but oviously he is a little arrogant. For a player like him or Tamim, it should not matter whether they are captain or not! They are the top class players in the world. You dunt see Sachin going crazy because he is not the captain, or u dunt see Kallis going crazy about it either. So if Shakib is a true athlete (which i believe he is) than he shouldn't care about these kind of articles! Just give his best. The board will have to make him captain eventually when he has more experience and more matured (unless of course someone better comes in!)
What u guys need to understand is, The board wanted mash as a captain for a long time. His performance have been good when he was performing so when he is fit to play, he is the right candidate to them. Captaincy is not only about performing well but also leadership. I am not saying Sakib is not a good leader because he is a great one. But u can't tell that if Mash was there, he wouldn't have done the same to motivate his team mates as Sakib did!

I agree i am a bigger fan of Mash than Sakib because i have seen him playing for so long and i also love how hard he works and how he is always determined to give his best. But honestly, as a Mash fan, i would prefer him to not be a captain and give his best if i see it affecting him. As a fan, all i want is Mash to play and see him in action.

Jadukor
November 24, 2010, 09:48 PM
I am not saying Sakib is not a good leader because he is a great one. But u can't tell that if Mash was there, he wouldn't have done the same to motivate his team mates as Sakib did!

Yes this is the whole point... because Mash never had the chance to prove himself... both scenarios is possible... either he would turn out to be a good imaginative captain with killer instinct... or he could be utterly defensive habibul bashar type captain...
the question is since we are very close to the worldcup do we need to take this chance...when a great captain like Shakib is already at our disposal?....

rinathq
November 25, 2010, 11:32 AM
well actually he did, he played against England came out as first Bangladeshi captain to lead to a victory against the English at the English condition! His captaincy had no sign of "defensive" style!
Having said that, as Shakib was the captain for the last 2 years i dunt mind him as a captain as long as it does not affect his performance and he doesnt start using his position to boss over Mashrafee!
All it matters to me is Mash play at the worldcup. Rubel, Shafi are great bowlers. But they dunt have as much experience as Mash and specially Rubel is not as consistent as Mash either. Also it seems like we only have Mash as a PP finisher!

reyme
November 28, 2010, 07:01 AM
Mash should be in playing 11. But when it comes to prudency, intelligence and execution without emotion, Shakib is miles ahead. I will be disappointed, not to see Shakib as a captain.

Nadim
November 28, 2010, 07:04 AM
Mash should be in playing 11. But when it comes to prudency, intelligence and execution without emotion, Shakib is miles ahead. I will be disappointed, not to see Shakib as a captain.
Don't worry!

BCB did not make u disappointed :) Shak is the captain for zim series...

zainab
November 29, 2010, 07:42 AM
No worries, Shakib will also be the captain for the WC series.

sheikh
November 29, 2010, 08:24 AM
If Shakib can, obviously Shakib. But somehow I've noticed that Mashrafe performs better while he is leading the team, so a fair choice.

To add to that, SHAKIB also performs well if in case MASH is out due to injury. So, its a straight choice for me. MASH should be captain if he is fit to play. We should not worry about whether he will be injured again or not.

lamisa
November 29, 2010, 09:44 AM
well,shakib isn't too pleased with the decision,is he?it has been "imposed" upon him apparently...

shakibrulz
November 29, 2010, 10:26 AM
I won't mind in ODIs really. But in test, no gawd, Shakib sucks like hell.

Night_wolf
November 29, 2010, 10:37 AM

OMG..am i seeing right??..or is my eyes deceiving me!...Shakibrulz actually said Shakib and Sucks in the same sentence!!!!:wow::wow:

shakibrulz
November 29, 2010, 10:49 AM
OMG..am i seeing right??..or is my eyes deceiving me!...Shakibrulz actually said Shakib and Sucks in the same sentence!!!!:wow::wow:
:shh:

rinathq
November 29, 2010, 02:30 PM

Its the other way!
Mash is no fit to play tests ans sakib has been our only effective bowler in test so far. So Mash chould be the ODI captain and Sakib should be the Test captain. In that way both are happy and in case Mash is injured, sakib can takeover and he cant complain about temporary position because he will be the permanent test captain.

Lets see how it goes! I think Mash will be given the captaincy if he doesnt get injured which is very risky right at worldcup! But if sakib stays thats perfectly fine too!

Night_wolf
December 13, 2010, 12:59 PM
Now Mash is on song again..our selectors said that if mash is in from he will lead our side to the WC..i personaly have nothing against mash and i think he hasn't had much opportunities to prove himself as a captain,but this is not the time..we have the wc ahead and we need Shakib to lead us there

There is a campaign going in Aus to bring back warne for the ashes..they have launched a website to!..can we start from BC a campaign to make Shakib the captain of BD for the WC?..many BD fans around the world come here and if we can show some unity in this may be just maybe "our great leaders(read morons) of BCB might stand up and take notice..other wise it will be Mash

Brit-boy
December 13, 2010, 02:17 PM
MASHRAFE bin MORTAZA
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)

rinathq
December 13, 2010, 03:15 PM
Mashrafee leading the team in the WC is more than a dream come true............for me
However, Bangladesh doing well is a bigger dream come true..
Changing Mashrafee as a captain could have the following consequences,
1) too much pressure on him, as there is already pressure to lead the pace attack and the slogging)
2) upset Sakib, which is a bad idea because we need him big times.........
3) and the worst of all, Mash might get injured again because of the pressure

so i dunt want Mash to be captain............ it will be asking more than a great deal to perform well in the biggest and most competitive cricketing event 2 months after injury...
However, If he plays like he had on the last 2 games.......... We wont have to look back :)

Habib
December 13, 2010, 10:11 PM
Just make Shakib the captain & Tamim the vice captain. We'll eat other teams alive.

Akib
December 13, 2010, 10:15 PM
Mashfrakib?

zainab
December 14, 2010, 06:31 AM
Shakib captain and Mushy vice captain, he has captaincy skills as he was once captain of the U19 team.

firstlane
December 14, 2010, 06:38 AM
Just make Shakib the captain & Tamim the vice captain. We'll eat other teams alive.

Please don't do it to Tamim.

cricket_pagol
December 14, 2010, 06:40 AM
Shakib's performance as captain as been stellar under any possible set of criteria. And, we are still not sure who we want as captain!!! Good luck to the supporters.

lamisa
December 14, 2010, 09:58 AM
i don't know why but i feel that it should be mash.shakib's great and all but the way we won vs england was just SOOOOOOOOOOOO convincing in favour of mash...

Ajfar
December 14, 2010, 10:01 AM
^ar pore Indiar sathe matche first overer run up shuru korar shathe sathe ushtha khaiya poira mashrafee mather baire and shakib abar captain and abar 1 bowler down.

bharat
December 14, 2010, 10:10 AM
I am surprised people in here support Mash as the captain . Sakib (as the captain) is the best thing that has happened to BD . Mash is a decent performer , but when you add his injuries and his form its difficult to see him hold his place in the team !!

It was a blunder to name an injury prone Mash as the captain the first place now they compound it with this stalemate !

P.S - I have not been following BD cricket as I used to but I do read most of the after game Cricket Bulletins .I cannot see why there would be a discussion in this issue !

Habib
December 14, 2010, 10:11 AM
^ar pore Indiar sathe matche first overer run up shuru korar shathe sathe ushtha khaiya poira mashrafee mather baire and shakib abar captain and abar 1 bowler down.

Risking backlash from the Mash fans I have to say that it's been a lucky charm for us so far. No denying it.

Ajfar
December 14, 2010, 10:17 AM
^ probably has a lot to do with the fact that our opponents were weaker than the opponents we will face in World Cup. Masrafee should be allowed to play as long as he is fit and in form. But selectors have to remember there is always that chance Mash will get injured and if he does we are one bowler short and a captain short assuming he is the captain. Specially for big games like World cup its no joke to just randomly become captain in the middle of the game and sort everything out. That's going to put extra pressure on Shakib. I'd rather just give him the full responsibility to begin with and not leave things up to chance.

Night_wolf
December 14, 2010, 11:17 AM
Guys who wants mash to be our captain,how many times Shakib has to prove to you?..We all want at our heart the best for BD cricket..and atm its Shakib as captain..end of discussion

rinathq
December 14, 2010, 12:42 PM
No Captaincy change......... Mash and Sakib chemistry if working very well, both are supportive of each other. Mash is happy to be back.....
Chaning captaincy right now will change the whole atmosphere. Although i do hope Sakib comes back on bowling, despite of the fact that he got 3 wickets (2 PP ones) he was very expansive.

Jadukor
December 14, 2010, 12:53 PM
after two series wins... brilliant performances with both bat and ball...and turning things around from the 2nd odi by making courageous calls for Naeem and Raquibul.... Shakib has finally put this debate to rest... BCB officials would have to be enormously stupid to change captaincy now...

jamal2004
December 14, 2010, 01:09 PM
shakib Al hasan No question about dat"

Raynman
December 14, 2010, 02:50 PM
It should be Shakib unless Ash is recalled. In that case it should be Ash hands down.

ziku1
December 15, 2010, 01:56 AM
everytime someone mentions the win against england they forget the huge loss beforehand and the losses to ireland and netherland straightafterwards where mashrafe was captaining.

i think mashrafe can handle being vicecaptain as he is that type of guy, but i cant see shakib performing to his potential unless he is calling the shots

zainab
December 15, 2010, 07:03 AM
BCB should now settle the captaincy debate. They darn well know that Mash can succumb to injuries, then they call up the understudy Shakib, no wonder Shakib is ticked off at them. As they are now about to pick the preliminary squad, they must settle the captaincy issue soon.

lamisa
December 15, 2010, 09:35 AM
It should be Shakib unless Ash is recalled. In that case it should be Ash hands down.

this was supposed to be sarcastic,right?

Naimul_Hd
December 15, 2010, 10:02 AM
বিশ্বকাপের অধিনায়ক সাকিব না মাশরাফি?

টেকনিক্যাল এবং মূল্যায়ন কমিটি থেকে অধিনায়কের নাম প্রস্তাব করা হবে কি না জানতে চাইলে জালাল ইউনুস বলেন,“বিষয়টি সম্পূর্ণ কার্যনির্বাহী কমিটির দায়িত্ব। বোর্ড সভাতেই সিদ্ধান্ত হবে। আমাদেরকে নাম প্রস্তাব করতে বলা হয়নি।”

সাকিবকে অধিনায়কত্ব দেওয়ার সময় বিসিবি সভাপতি জানিয়েছেন,“জিম্বা ুয়ে সিরিজে মাশরাফি বিন মুর্তজাকে পরখ করে দেখা হবে। সবগুলো ম্যাচে ভালো করলে বিশ্বকাপের জন্য তাকে অধিনায়কের জন্য বিবেচনা করা হবে।”

নড়াইল এক্সপ্রেস ফর্মে ফিরেছেন। চোট মুক্ত থেকে লিগ শেষ করতে পারলে নেতা হিসেবে মাশরাফিকেও বিবেচনা করা হবে পারে। তবে অধিনায়ক হিসেবে সাকিবের নাম বেশি আলোচিত হচ্ছে বোর্ড পরিচালকদের মধ্যে। জাতীয় দল নির্বাচকরাও বিশ্বাস করেন বিশ্বকাপের জন্যও সাকিবকেই অধিনায়ক হিসেবে বেছে নেওয়া হবে।

জিম্বাবুয়ে-বাংলাদেশ সিরিজ শেষে সাকিবও বলেছেন নেতৃত্ব বেশ উপভোগ করছেন। অতএব নেতা নির্বাচন নিয়েও দ্বিধাদ্বন্দ্বে পড়তে হতে পারে বিসিবি কর্মকর্তাদের।

সর্বশেষ সিরিজে অধিনায়ক থাকলেও সহ-অধিনায়ক ছিলো না। বিশ্বকাপে সহ-অধিনায়ক নির্বাচন নিয়েও ভাবতে হবে বিসিবিকে। সেক্ষেত্রে সাকিব অধিনায়ক হলে সহ-অধিনায়ক করা হতে পারে তামিম ইকবালকে।

source: http://banglanews24.com/detailsnews.php?nssl=9c046ab62352166627485e062de7a 9cf&nttl=2010121520711

So, looks like Selectors and Board officials have different opinion regarding Captaincy. Selectors want Shakib as captain whereas Board officials want Mashrafe as Captain but considering the fact that Mash will be fit and ready to lead. Interesting.

Night_wolf
December 15, 2010, 10:40 AM
Shakib ke captain na kora hole amra polapan ra andolone jabo soja kotha!

shakibrulz
December 15, 2010, 10:42 AM
Its the other way!
Mash is no fit to play tests ans sakib has been our only effective bowler in test so far. So Mash chould be the ODI captain and Sakib should be the Test captain. In that way both are happy and in case Mash is injured, sakib can takeover and he cant complain about temporary position because he will be the permanent test captain.

Lets see how it goes! I think Mash will be given the captaincy if he doesnt get injured which is very risky right at worldcup! But if sakib stays thats perfectly fine too!
It's not like the best player is automatically the best captain. I don't like the kind of defensive fields he set to the bowlers, justifiable to an extent, but mostly I believe is due to lack of experience. Otherwise I'm ok with him being test captain.

shakibrulz
December 15, 2010, 10:44 AM
everytime someone mentions the win against england they forget the huge loss beforehand and the losses to ireland and netherland straightafterwards where mashrafe was captaining.

i think mashrafe can handle being vicecaptain as he is that type of guy, but i cant see shakib performing to his potential unless he is calling the shots
Agree, the team looks a much more professional unit under Shakib in ODIs. Reminds me of Dada :)