PDA

View Full Version : Zimbabwe Should Feel Scared

Tiger444
November 28, 2010, 11:50 AM
'Zim should feel scared'

Given the recent record between the two sides, it was no surprise that someone from the Zimbabwe camp called themselves the 'underdogs' while their opponents would feel confident.

Bangladesh have won the last five one-day series against Zimbabwe and the overall win-loss ratio too is tilted towards the Tigers, who have won 25 out of 47 matches since their first ODI encounter in 1997.

So when Bangladesh's fielding coach Julien Fountain thinks the Zimbabweans are right to call themselves the little guys, the confidence doesn't seem misplaced.

"I think they are probably right. They are the underdogs. We are at home; it is our wicket, our conditions and our crowd. They should feel a little scared," said Fountain after practice at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium in Mirpur yesterday.

Fountain said this after Elton Chigumbura, the Zimbabwe captain, recognised themselves as the underdogs, saying, "Definitely they [Bangladesh] are playing well at home. We are the underdogs but we just need to play our best cricket," he said.

Of course, the change of guard has taken place during the five series wins over the past four years. And over the past year or so however, Zimbabwe have slowly returned to some semblance of form, stringing together a useful side that beat the Tigers twice last year.

Heath Streak, here as the team's bowling coach, believes Zimbabwe have improved quite a bit since the last time they visited these shores. "We played a lot between now and then and we had a good series at home against Sri Lanka and India and quite a competitive series against South Africa."

"We are going to respect them but we are also here to prove that we are getting better and we deserve to get back into the Test arena," said the former Zimbabwe captain.

Streak, who played 189 one-dayers in an illustrious international career that spanned 12 years, was confident that the likes of Tatenda Taibu, Brendan Taylor and Chigumbura were in good touch.

"Of course we have [Elton] Chigumbura and [Tatenda] Taibu and [Brendan] Taylor who are all in really good form. We also have some good spinners so they will also plan to see how they play our spinners better," added Streak.

Chigumbura, who took over the captaincy in May this year after Prosper Utseya resigned, is one of the stars of the current Zimbabwe side and the big-hitting right-hander was hopeful that he could bank on the experience of playing Bangladesh 34 times so far.

"I don't think the conditions have changed much here as I have been here plenty of times. I just need to use the experience I have gathered and use it properly," said Chigumbura.

He was also of the impression that they were not the team under pressure. "Bangladesh played well against a better team recently, so they are expected to win. So we are not under pressure," said Chigumbura.

Although he has done well against the Tigers in the past, the tall all-rounder believes that Bangladesh are the team in form. "Most of the players are playing well for Bangladesh, especially Shakib [Al Hasan] as he is the main guy for Bangladesh. For us if we play our best cricket we will get good results," said Chigumbura.

When asked about being named as the team's best player by the opposition captain, Shakib simply said: "I just heard this from you guys but it doesn't change anything in me."

But there was no such target for Bangladesh as Fountain said that none of the Zimbabwe cricketers hold any fear for the Tigers.

"To be honest, I haven't really done much research on them. I really don't think we are looking at them as though they are dangerous," he said.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=163964

cricman
November 28, 2010, 12:40 PM
Only a couple months in but I already like Fountain and Pont more than I ever liked Jamie.

nycpro96
November 28, 2010, 12:56 PM
Fountain's the man.

Nadim
November 28, 2010, 12:58 PM
Make Fountain the Boss!:bighug:

Murad
November 28, 2010, 12:58 PM
Underdogs..hmmm they said the samething in the last tour as well. Result was 4-1

Btw, Shakib said it will be a very tough series than it was against NZ. He thinks there's no difference between Zimbawe and Bangladesh.

Night_wolf
November 28, 2010, 12:59 PM
i dont think zim should be scared..even BD should not be scared if they face the all conquering Aus team of past...its a game..and being scared doesn't help..zim should be causes but not scared

Habib
November 28, 2010, 01:21 PM
Chigumbura is in form? Really Streak?

shakibrulz
November 28, 2010, 01:21 PM
LOL, now imagine if somehow BD manages to lose the series, will be an egg on the face for BD. Comes across as a little disrespectful, tbh.

Zim batsmen are pretty decent, did well against SA.

Haru-party
November 28, 2010, 01:24 PM
LOL, now imagine if somehow BD manages to lose the series, will be an egg on the face for BD. Comes across as a little disrespectful, tbh.

agreed

Ashfaq
November 28, 2010, 02:26 PM

We have been mopping the floor with this very ZIM team for the last two years. Is there any reason we should expect differently this time?

Just a reminder, Last time they played SA, ZIM put a hell of a fight. They fought us too but we trashed them 4-1 at their backyards. Hence, Fountain has every right to say what he did. Besides, our players know the ZIM players inside and out. So there can be only so much surprize in store for us.

bujhee kom
November 28, 2010, 02:31 PM
I, in my heart, honestly think this Zimbabwe series will be much tougher of a series for my BD Tigers. I also think this Zimbabwe team is very solid, experienced and a match winning team. BD and Zim are same on the strength level, we just have home advantage. I wish both our touring friends Chigumbura's Zimbabwe and my Shakib's BD Tigers all the best!

capslock
November 28, 2010, 02:32 PM
Even if we have been winning it's a dumb and disrespectful thing to say. This is the sort of stuff that comes back to bite you in the bum.

Dilscoop
November 28, 2010, 03:10 PM
Damn, you guys have no self-confident. We have some positive thinker, unlike-JS people in the team, and we are shooting him down. You guys got used to hearing JS "pep talk". He just stated some facts. "I think they are probably right. They are the underdogs. We are at home; it is our wicket, our conditions and our crowd. They should feel a little scared." If we end up losing (hope not), that still doesn't make him wrong. Those are still true fact.

Let the show beginning

bujhee kom
November 28, 2010, 03:14 PM
What can I do Dilscoop bro...I am old and confused now...burara pothe cholte ekhon pode pode bhoi kori, kobe abar duniya theke minus hoe jai, Allah malum!

al Furqaan
November 28, 2010, 03:22 PM
"To be honest, I haven't really done much research on them," he said. "I really don't think we are looking at them as though they are dangerous."

quite disrespectful, IMO...even if true, and there is some un-truthiness to the statement.

i'm just happy we're better than the indians still. our boneheaded comments come from foreign hires, not our players or the sons' of the soil, a la sehwag's "can't take 20 wickets" and kumble's "we're playing in the WC semis".

r_kalar_2
November 28, 2010, 03:58 PM
All the batsmen of Zimbabwe are stroke maker. They did thus very well on the flat South African pitch.But here in BD, if they can cross 200 consistently, i will certainly accept that they are now a very good team.I don't think they have any chance against us at all.So, Fountain is quite right.

Equinox
November 28, 2010, 04:58 PM
And yet if one of the top teams had said something similar about us the whole forum would have gone crazy. Ah the hypocrisy. Although I am not criticising Fountain here he probably didn't mean it like that.

We have been mopping the floor with this very ZIM team for the last two years.
So Sehwag was right when he called us ordinary. Afterall we have never taken 20 wickets against India.

zainab
November 28, 2010, 05:00 PM
why should the Zims feel scared? They are good and play with passion and spirit. BD better play well here, or else they will be beaten.

Dilscoop
November 28, 2010, 07:28 PM
And yet if one of the top teams had said something similar about us the whole forum would have gone crazy. Ah the hypocrisy. Although I am not criticising Fountain here he probably didn't mean it like that.

So Sehwag was right when he called us ordinary. Afterall we have never taken 20 wickets against India.

Because our players didn't say anything. So far Shakib and Mash gave them enough respect that they deserve.

Coaches are suppose to say things like that to pump up the team. They are not gonna be like JS and say "They are better than us and we suck big time." Recent example. Latif the Chur

22Yards
November 28, 2010, 11:02 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if fountain didnt actually mean the way the title of this thread suggests. Afterall, actions will speak louder than words.

al Furqaan
November 29, 2010, 12:05 AM
thats true there is a difference between what coaches say and what players say.

which is why Latif's comments are condonable...

godzilla
November 29, 2010, 12:24 AM
Half of the time journalists takes a sentence from a whole lecture and makes the story upside down ... thats how media rolls

BTW where is ZIMFAN? Isn't it about time he shows up in the forums? I did not see a single post from him yet ... akward

PoorFan
November 29, 2010, 12:33 AM
... BTW where is ZIMFAN? Isn't it about time he shows up in the forums? I did not see a single post from him yet ... akward
You mean ... He is scared too?!

godzilla
November 29, 2010, 12:55 AM
You mean ... He is scared too?!

No i did not mean it like that, am just curious ... am just trying to say that he always shows up no matter what when there is a B Vs Z tournament. This time no sign of him ...

AsifTheManRahman
November 29, 2010, 01:20 AM
Anything less than 5 - 0 and heads must roll in the gutter.

Zunaid
November 29, 2010, 01:24 AM
Anything less than 5 - 0 and heads must roll in the gutter.

They must roll. But somewhere else. For we will then get bad jokes about getting your mind out of the gutter.

PoorFan
November 29, 2010, 01:34 AM
No i did not mean it like that, am just curious ... am just trying to say that he always shows up no matter what when there is a B Vs Z tournament. This time no sign of him ...
I know, just wanted to make it funny.

godzilla
November 29, 2010, 02:09 AM
I know, just wanted to make it funny.

It's hard to tell these days about who is joking or not in BC ... lot of serius ppl here now days who just waits to attack your comment :S ... if you know what i mean :-D

Ashfaq
November 29, 2010, 03:02 AM

Ofcourse he was right. It's not that he was wrong, but he was just an a-hole for saying it in the media.

If I were a BD player and I said that line to the media, I would be an a-hole too.

BANFAN
November 29, 2010, 03:27 AM
Why should they feel scared?

They are playing good cricket recently. Although we have much more to lose than them. But to reclaim their test status, they need to do very well against us for that. So they have reasons to be scared of losing badly.

I liked fountain's attitude. This could put the Zims under more pressure.

Tiger444
November 29, 2010, 11:14 AM
Fountain is just saying this because he wants to get in the heads of the Zimbabwean players. Yes it's harsh what he said and if we lose then he won't be too popular but great thing is he has belief in the boys.I just hope the boys don't take them too lightly but I doubt that will happen because we seem a more professional outfit now.

roman
November 29, 2010, 11:42 AM
It's hard to tell these days about who is joking or not in BC ... lot of serius ppl here now days who just waits to attack your comment :S

its so sad isnt it?

Back on topic
There is nothing wrong with that statement. And also keep in mind that Fountain is an English man. Atleast he didnt say "My grandma can play better cricket than them"

Eshen
November 29, 2010, 03:18 PM
A-team players also think Zimbabweans don't have much of a chance against our spinners -

[বাংলা]'আমি তো মনে করি এ দলের সঙ্গে সবগুলো ম্যাচই জেতা উচিত জাতীয় দলের। স্পিনে এ দলটির দুর্বলতা রয়েছে। সেখানে আমাদের হাতে রয়েছে সাকিব, রাজ্জাক, রিয়াদের মতো স্পিনার। আমার মনে হয় না এ দলকে হারাতে তেমন কোনো সমস্যা হবে সাকিবদের।' শেষ বিকেলে ড্রেসিংরুমের সামনে দাঁড়িয়ে সাকিবদের উদ্দেশেই এ মেসেজ পাঠালেন বিসিবি অধিনায়ক শাহরিয়ার নাফীস।

নাফিসের মতো অলক কাপালিও মনে করছেন এ জিম্বাবুয়েকে হারাতে বেগ পেতে হবে না সাকিবদের। 'এ দলটির দু-তিন ব্যাটসম্যান ছাড়া বাকিরা কেউই সিরিজে হুমকি হয়ে দাঁড়াবে না। তাছাড়া আমাদের এ কন্ডিশনে যেখানে নিউজিল্যান্ড হেরে গেছে সেখানে জিম্বাবুয়ে সহজে ছাড় পাবে না। আমার বিশ্বাস, খুব সহজেই এ সিরিজ জিততে পারব আমরা।' দিনের সর্বোচ্চ রান সংগ্রহকারী পাভেলও জিম্বাবুয়ে বধের একটা তত্ত্ব বের করেছেন। 'শুরুর দিকের তিন ব্যাটসম্যানকে একশ'র মধ্যে ঘরে পাঠাতে পারলেই চলবে। আমরা যদি ২২০ রানও করি তারপরও ম্যাচ জিততে কষ্ট হবে না। আমার মনে হয় জিম্বাবুয়ের এ দলটিতে পেসার সংকট রয়েছে।' পাভেল যেমন ৪৯ রান করে জিম্বাবুয়ের বোলিং দুর্বলতা বের করেছেন তেমনটি ৩ উইকেট শিকার করে লেগ স্পিনার নূর হোসেন মুন্না বের করেছেন ব্যাটিং দুর্বলতা। 'জিম্বাবুইয়ানরা স্পিনটা সেভাবে খেলতে পারছে না। আমার মনে হয় সাকিব আর রিয়াদ ভাইয়ের কাছেই ওরা সিরিজের বেশিরভাগ উইকেট দিয়ে আসবে।' [/বাংলা]

http://www.samakal.com.bd/details.php?news=18&action=main&menu_type=&option=single&news_id=112288&pub_no=528&type=

Raynman
November 29, 2010, 04:40 PM
Trash talk and the media is part of professional sports.

As fans we have a lot of emotion riding on these games and that pressure is part of the game. With the way everything stands now, we are very capable of a 5-0 scoreline and that should be the goal. You don't aim to go backwards after the Kiwi series.

Granted the outcome may not fall in line with the expectations but to expect anything less is unacceptable.

Farhad
November 29, 2010, 04:53 PM
"To be honest, I haven't really done much research on them. I really don't think we are looking at them as though they are dangerous"

I'm glad this guy's a fielding coach and not much more. I really hope our batsmen don't feel the same way. I don't care if you're playing Comilla's under 15 team, do what you're paid to do and crank out the tape.

How is this any better than what Sehwag said about Bangladesh that got people here so fired up? It isn't. If anything, its worse since its coming from a coach. Man, do any of our coaches know how to speak to the media?

AsifTheManRahman
November 29, 2010, 05:02 PM
There was never anything wrong with what Sehwag said. If anything, he was right.

Tiger444
November 29, 2010, 05:59 PM
^^Didn't really like him saying that but it was the truth. Sehwag was just being honest and was right whether we like it or not. We still have a hard time consistently taking 20 wickets again in tests so he was just stating a fact.

Dilscoop
November 29, 2010, 10:14 PM
A-team players also think Zimbabweans don't have much of a chance against our spinners -

Good to see Nafees focusing on the team rather than himself.

Tthere is always a first time.

lamisa
November 30, 2010, 04:39 AM
well,they are ver good hitters and we totally suck in that department.that's what i am scared of..

PoorFan
November 30, 2010, 05:11 AM
Well history shows Aftab, Rafiq even Rajin can become good hitter against them, so dont worry that much.

zainab
November 30, 2010, 06:37 AM
I am curious to see the fielding under this new coach, they should be really good by now, also, the pac bowling should improve two fold, Dont know about the batting, hope they can at least score 300 runs. If Ashraful is picked, he should bat at N0 7.

Dilscoop
November 30, 2010, 07:23 PM
^^ They did show a lot of improvements in fielding during last series, in a short period of time. Could've been a perfect series fielding wise, but Siddique had some last min hiccups.

But they can do a lot, a LOT better. They just got the basics right (finally!), now it's time to take it to the next lvl.

Dilscoop
November 30, 2010, 07:28 PM
It's amazing how the placement of " " in just the right way, can make a sentence seem completely different, from its original content !
- JF Twitter.

Obviously the media made him look bad, I knew he couldn't be this harsh.

Dhaka Dan
December 2, 2010, 06:15 AM
Well spotted Dilscoop, I was just about to flag that Twitter response up myself.
Journalists often disguise the headline they want, deep within a seemingly innocent sentence.

The only way to find out is to ask Fountain directly. Or would that spoil everyones fun . . A good rumour beats the actual truth !

Night_wolf
December 2, 2010, 07:11 AM
why is JF saying this on twitter now?...couldn't he have said this b4 we lost the match?...hmm..this makes me wonder...

Dhaka Dan
December 2, 2010, 07:28 AM
why is JF saying this on twitter now?...couldn't he have said this b4 we lost the match?...hmm..this makes me wonder...

If you look closely, you will see the tweet is dated 30 November (BEFORE the game) so maybe he only saw it then, and responded accordingly. The whole article is actually made up of facts and quotes from a variety of people, not just Fountain

Maybe, just maybe, Fountain was spoken to with the sole intention of creating the headline, and stupidly obliged by agreeing with a journalist's own comments having spoken on a range of other topics prior to this.

Easy solution . . . ask Fountain !