PDA

View Full Version : Lord's for memory, guts in Manchester- Tamim Iqbal

Ajfar
December 4, 2010, 02:02 PM
http://www.thedailystar.net/photo/2010/12/05/2010-12-05__sps113.jpg

Before Tamim Iqbal, a procession of wickets was guaranteed. But for the last two years, Bangladesh have been given a good start with the bat. This year, in particular, the left-hander has scored 837 runs nearly at an average of 60 in Tests and some more in ODIs. More than the runs, Tamim has added a much-needed stability. The Daily Star Sport's Mohammad Isam met him yesterday at the team hotel.

Daily Star Sport (DSS): How has the progress been in the series so far?
Tamim Iqbal (TI): I'm quite happy. I wanted to get back to the rhythm I had before my injury so in the first match, I tried to stay at the crease as long as possible without focusing on the runs. I was batting comfortably but I got a bad decision; these things happen. The last game could have been a bigger innings but it wasn't to be. I was stroking the ball quite well until I got out.

DSS: How much have you recovered from the wrist injury?
TI: By God's grace, there is no problem now. I played for a year with the injury so when I batted for a while, my hand would go weak. But now I'm fine.

DSS: In terms of Test cricket, 2010 has been a great year for you…
TI: It has been great, to be honest. There were some innings like 85 and 86 against England at home and if I hadn't been run out on 103 at Lord's and turned those into bigger scores, it would have been a much special year. But yes, in terms of Test cricket, it has been my best year so far.

DSS: What was your favourite innings this year?
TI: In terms of memory, it was Lord's. I heard about the place and its history from my father and the moment I went inside the dressing-room I looked at the honours board and the balcony. Pete (the Lord's dressing-room attendant) told me that I would get a hundred after I made 53 in the first innings. When I reached 97, I was as nervous as I was in my debut game. But I had planned the celebration when I was in the 80s (laughs). That hundred made me very happy.

But if you consider from a batting point of view, it has to be the one at Old Trafford as it is the fastest and most difficult wicket in England. Funnily, Kevin Pietersen commented during my 86 in Chittagong that, "Cricket is so easy for you, right? You go to Old Trafford, then you will see." And I went on to get a hundred there, so it was really fantastic.

DSS: Did he tell you anything during the Manchester Test?
TI: I looked at him and I saw him clapping (after reaching the century).

DSS: Was anything said during your 151 against India?
TI: Nothing in particular, but I really didn't like Virender Sehwag's comments (calling Bangladesh 'ordinary'). A player like him should always encourage us, he's a role model. The hundred against India was also great because Junaed and I played well and we managed to take a slim lead.

DSS: Unlike Tests, you have not done that well in one-day cricket.
TI: Look at it this way: I have played almost the identical number of ODI and Test innings this year so you add five not-outs and my one-day average will go up to 33-35. I get few chances to stay not out but the times that I did get them, I wasn't capable to do so.

I always get a start, but you must remember that I was terrible in my first 20-25, playing just one or two good knocks. I think if I do very well in one series, I can get the average up to 33-34.

DSS: How did you manage to take it from 15 to 29?
TI: In the early days, I had only two shots -- dancing down the track and the cover drive. I was totally blocked on the leg-side. I worked a lot with Jamie (Siddons) and Salahuddin bhai and now, those weaknesses are turning into my strengths. I get runs now because I have more shots and I'm aware that I have to get better because in international cricket, they analyse and find everything out.

I practice very hard and I'm not worried if I don't perform. I am at peace with myself that I'm doing the right things in training.

DSS: How much has Jamie Siddons helped you?
TI: He has helped me quite a lot. He is the best batting coach I have ever come across. There's a reason why he scored so many runs, you know.

The most important thing is that, he gives the player a lot of time. I hardly ever hear the word 'no' from him.

DSS: You live near the Mirpur stadium, was that part of your plan?
TI: Look, a lot of the national cricketers can afford to live in Gulshan and Banani but I chose this area (moved here in December 2008) so that practice for me is just a 5-minute drive. If I had lived in Gulshan, for example, I would always think of the traffic when I wanted to have a hit during my off day.

DSS: Who has been your biggest influence in life?
TI: My father (Iqbal Khan). I cannot tell you in words how much he has supported me. It is sad that he never got to see my brother's (Nafis Iqbal) or my international career. But it was my father who, under 40 degrees heat, stood as umpire on a prosthetic leg, just to let me bat. I never scored much then, though.

I also thank my brother and uncle (former Bangladesh captain Akram Khan) wholeheartedly because of two things. My brother told me to play Premier League rather than First Division as my first season, and my uncle helped me a lot when Sonargaon Cricketers betrayed with me (in the 2006-07 season).

I was almost crying when I was left stranded near Eastern Plaza and when I called my uncle, he told me sign for Old DOHS. I somehow made it in the first eleven there and after scoring a lot, I scored a hundred against Scotland a few months before the 2007 World Cup.

DSS: You were a very popular among the DOHS players…
TI: I really loved that place, especially the Thursday biriyani. I usually get kicks to buy things and during that time, I bought a dog called Zaro. Funny thing is I was so scared of my own dog that I never got close to it (laughs). Whenever they left it in the open, I was the first one to run from it.

DSS: Did you ever try to imitate a player?
TI: I loved Sanath Jayasuriya a lot. He had these big forearms and I wanted to be like him, hit big sixes. I used to practice at home and imagine hitting those big ones.

DSS: Any thoughts on the World Cup?
TI: I want to play match-winning knocks for Bang-ladesh. Of course the target will be to reach the second phase and anything can happen from there.

I have been working hard, spending extra hours in the gym after the usual practice with the team and I want to be fit and strong for the tournament.

<a href="http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=164813">Link</a>

Nice read Isam bhai. Keep up the good work.

haha KP didn't know who he was messing with.

Nadim
December 4, 2010, 02:09 PM
haha kp got pwaned...:floor:
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

napoleonIV
December 4, 2010, 02:11 PM
I really liked the fact that he is staying in Mirpur so that he can reach the practice ground quickly. That shows a lot of commitment and passion for the game, given that he could easily have managed residence in one of the so-called "posh" neighborhoods.

Murad
December 4, 2010, 02:17 PM
Thanks Ajfar.

Nice interview. Traffic is really a big issue in Bangladesh.

roman
December 4, 2010, 02:19 PM
we are lucky to have players like him and shak. i feel sorry for lords and old traffod coz those tow stadiums wont get to see another cassic innings of tamim and shak., its their loss

iDumb
December 4, 2010, 02:23 PM
Good job Isam. Some of your articles of late are very very good and enjoyable to read. For ex: I liked your ashraful opinionated piece.

anyways good interview.. u managed to get some gem out that were never spoken in other interview of tamim.

iDumb
December 4, 2010, 02:24 PM
even new journalists are performing better. LOL what was that other guy' name? Rabeed islam right. Move over buddy...

Dilscoop
December 4, 2010, 02:26 PM
Nice read.

Few Qs: What's DOHS? Guessing it's a team. But which one? And which one is premier league?

And he was run out after the 100 at Lords? Don't think so.

DSS: Was anything said during your 151 against India?
Don't like that Q. Why do we always assume that there was said something when our players score big? I mean sissy players like Rahim and Siddique needs name calling to get motivation, but not Tamim.

@ KP. I guess now you know who is Tamim?

Habib
December 4, 2010, 02:27 PM
Fantastic read.

Tiger444
December 4, 2010, 02:28 PM
Thabks for the link sy. I just love tamims attitude towards the game. He's just such a passionate player and has a lot of commitment and guts. I mean he lives so close to the ground just so he could practice more. Just thinking about him makes me realize how much he has grown. He couldn't play many shots and was such a raw batsman but now he's turned in to a world class batsman with a lot of shots in the book. Also he has the hunger to get better and better. Those are the kind of players we need in our team. Its scary how he's still only 21. He's got all the time in the world to improve. Not only has he improved his batting but he looks very well built which is very good. Fitness is always important for an international cricket player. Wish him luck.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

_Rafi_
December 4, 2010, 02:31 PM
Thanks Isam vai. Specially for asking the question about Siddons.

Night_wolf
December 4, 2010, 02:41 PM
HOHO...tamim in mirpur!!...mash was/is also in mirpur...actually mash lived just aside my friends flat..his was 2b and mash 2a...mirpur is the best!!..all mirpurians!..me also!!

Habib
December 4, 2010, 03:00 PM
HOHO...mirpur is the best!!..all mirpurians!..me also!!
Yeah. Especially your fellow Mirpurians at Mirpur zoo.

riankhan
December 4, 2010, 03:01 PM
Nice read.

Few Qs: What's DOHS? Guessing it's a team. But which one? And which one is premier league?

Yes, its the Dhaka premiere league team (Mohakhali old DOHS based)

Thanks for Sharing Ajfar vai :)

shafayeen
December 4, 2010, 03:03 PM
great read. Respect for tamim.

Night_wolf
December 4, 2010, 03:10 PM
Yeah. Especially your fellow Mirpurians at Mirpur zoo.

Aww..cute!..u r welcome to come to our tiger cage from ur bandor cage;)

Habib
December 4, 2010, 03:15 PM
Aww..cute!..u r welcome to come to our tiger cage from ur bandor cage;)

Sure. But I won't have any treat for you coz I spent my money buying treats for the bandors. Tough luck Zaro;)

nycpro96
December 4, 2010, 03:19 PM
Awesome interview. You can always feel that swag in Tamim, even during a small interview. I love it. :D

One World
December 4, 2010, 03:40 PM
Nice.

reverse_swing
December 4, 2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the interview Isam! Just want to quote this.....

DSS: How much has Jamie Siddons helped you?
TI: He has helped me quite a lot. He is the best batting coach I have ever come across. There's a reason why he scored so many runs, you know.

bujhee kom
December 4, 2010, 03:47 PM
Great interview Isam/Dizzy bhai! I thoroughly enjoyed it! Also good point out by Reverse Swing bhai on Siddons by TIK.

cricket_pagol
December 4, 2010, 04:31 PM
Great Interview. Good to see tamim improve gradually, he is will be one of the best batsman ever. i hope he gets a chance to play county cricket soon,so that he can develop his game further.

Nocturnal
December 4, 2010, 07:24 PM
good stuff Isam! keep it up!

Naimul_Hd
December 4, 2010, 07:53 PM
nice read. thanks for sharing !

simon
December 4, 2010, 08:15 PM
nice article :)
I really hope Tamim concentrates harder on ODIs and improves his avrge.

Haru-party
December 5, 2010, 06:57 AM
pitersen :lol:

mac
December 5, 2010, 07:17 AM
http://www.samakal.com.bd/details.php?news=18&action=main&menu_type=&option=single&news_id=113589&pub_no=533&type=

another one on Tamim.

Shaan
December 5, 2010, 07:23 AM
No wonder why Australia postponing games against us, look at KP and coock how they are eating run picnic in Australia's backyard. I guess Australians think Tamim would score some double triple against them in any condition no matter home ground or Austalina gorund or english ground. Oh off course they have phobia of Iceman which is certainly nightmare on nightmare..

mac
December 5, 2010, 07:30 AM
No wonder why Australia postponing games against us, look at KP and coock how they are eating run picnic in Australia's backyard. I guess Australians think Tamim would score some double triple against them in any condition no matter home ground or Austalina gorund or english ground. Oh off course they have phobia of Iceman which is certainly nightmare on nightmare..

Loved it. Kangaroos should be scared of Tigers, quite normal.

Night_wolf
December 5, 2010, 07:33 AM

dont think tamim can score that big(ok dont bash me for saying this)..you need patience and good fitness to score this big..tamim at the moment is lacking it...but in future who knows..

mac
December 5, 2010, 07:37 AM
dont think tamim can score that big(ok dont bash me for saying this)..you need patience and good fitness to score this big..tamim at the moment is lacking it...but in future who knows..

dhur vai, Australia to astese na prove korte, ja ichcha tai bolbo. Ashraful o Australiar against 150 avg. er series khelto.

simon
December 5, 2010, 07:38 AM
http://www.samakal.com.bd/details.php?news=18&action=main&menu_type=&option=single&news_id=113589&pub_no=533&type=

another one on Tamim.

chomotkaar article,:notworthy:
very touchy.
thanks for sharing.

beshideshi
December 5, 2010, 07:41 AM

Could not agree more, Tamim is yet to score a 200 in first class. I think that should be his next target, he has increased his focus from a 30 minute period to 2-3 hour periods, now if he can increase that to 6-7 hour period, that will be tremendous.

Night_wolf
December 5, 2010, 07:41 AM
dhur vai, Australia to astese na prove korte, ja ichcha tai bolbo. Ashraful o Australiar against 150 avg. er series khelto.

hahaha...taile thik ase!!...

mac
December 5, 2010, 07:43 AM
chomotkaar article,:notworthy:
very touchy.
thanks for sharing.

you are welcome bro. :big_hug:

Haru-party
December 5, 2010, 07:44 AM
তাই তামিমের হাঁকানো বিশাল ছক্কা ঠেকাতে গিয়ে যখন মামুন, রাসেল, খোকন, জুয়েল, হাসান, মাহামুদুরদের আপ্রাণ চেষ্টা করতে দেখা যায়, তখন আর মনে হয় না এটা মজার খেলা :(
fire loitta :mad:

shakibrulz
December 5, 2010, 07:44 AM
He's only 21, give him some time. He'll mature and become one of the best players of our times. Such a talent.

simon
December 5, 2010, 07:46 AM
Tamim needs to target big innings in this series,infact not only him but preparing for the world cup players like Imrul,Junaid,Rok as they all got some runs under thei belt they shld target big.
We can get away with 40s 50s against Zim & NZ but against Ind,Eng,SA we need bigger innings.

lamisa
December 5, 2010, 10:05 AM
First of all,WOW on that great piece Isam!and to all those people who say that siddons goes away on vacations all the time,read what tamim said about JS!