PDA

View Full Version : A Proposal

Onelove
December 8, 2010, 10:36 AM
I am a first time poster, long time reader.

We all know Bangladesh is a 150+ million strong country, however in 10 years we have more or less failed to unearth talent, (pacemen for example) nurture them, educate them. Perhaps it has to do how cricket is run in bangladesh. Maybe decentralizing power would help bangladesh in the long run.

So wish to set up a discussion on the idea of decentralizing BCB and turn it into much more like BCCI.

BCB is already made up of 6 teams now Dhaka, Chittagong, Barishal, Khulna, Sylhet and Rajshahi, soon Rangpur is to be added there. It should be turned into a 7 associations where each associations runs cricket within its zone and send a team to represent it at the national cup level.

Lets take Rangpur as an example

Rangpur Association can have 8 teams representing each district. where they play each other for the "rangpur cup" the best players from this competition gets picked for the Rangpur 1st class team which goes on to play in the NCL.

I know I have just given a small framework with a lot of gaps.. perhaps you guys can debate..modify etc. for example players who do not do well can get relegated to the lower level and those that do well can get promoted.

(i know BCB wont do anything of that sort but lets me honest its fun to discuss substantial stuff, is it not? and who knows maybe BCB can get inspired by reading the discussions and change the way cricket is run in bangladesh)

Rabz
December 8, 2010, 10:55 AM
Welcome to BC Onelove.

We've been crying out loud for the decentralization and development of cricket, just like Dhaka city itself needs on the macro level.

What you bring to the table is indeed substantial. Many of us have been saying the same for a long time now. Even our Board President Lotus Kamal "promised" us this ever illusive decentralization, though it is still yet to be transformed into some real action.

First and foremost important factor is the willingness of the administrators of the game to spread it all around the country. Thats how its going to start.
But the chances of it happening any time soon would just be the myth like our "Home of Cricket".

Onelove
December 8, 2010, 11:19 AM
I believe such will not happen because BCB president will not have the power to be totalitarian. he would have to take suggestions from other associate chiefs and govt will not be able to dictate to bcb.

which is a shame, because bangladesh with its huge population can really beat anyone anyday anywhere if its organzined well and talent is exploited and nurtured properly.

Its a shame everywhere in bangladesh in every field talent is wasted due to lack of opportunity, nurturing and exploitation.

Night_wolf
December 8, 2010, 11:44 AM

Rangpur Association can have 8 teams representing each district. where they play each other for the "rangpur cup" the best players from this competition gets picked for the Rangpur 1st class team which goes on to play in the NCL.

this is actually a very good idea!..a healthy competition brings out the best in you!

bujhee kom
December 8, 2010, 02:39 PM
A warm welcome to BC dear OneLove bhai!

This is a great thread and a very clear, precise and a very simple but should be very effective plan by you OneLove! I really liked it. I think BCB should/must do somehting along this line.

Let's discuss guys!

skhondoker
December 8, 2010, 02:52 PM
this is a fabulous idea. BCB, the government, I think is worried about losing control of money....let Lotus keep tab of money.. that way he can remain happy and the bosses of the associates can be real cricket lovers and have them worry about cricket....Lotus and the government was never a cricket lover....nevertheless, we all should discuss on this topic extensively and a lot of good can come out of this...

Habib
December 8, 2010, 03:03 PM
Lotus didn't do anything about decentralization before. Although new CEO (or COO?) has joined, I doubt he'll be able to do much. After all Lotus still has more control over BCB unlike the new CEO.

roman
December 8, 2010, 03:23 PM
Great idea but I highly doubt this will ever take place. BCB needs cut off all its ties with Political parties first and maybe then we can implement these kind of luminous proposals. I know its just too much to ask...

Shamim Mia
December 8, 2010, 03:24 PM
Salam to the new member Onelove

munshi33
December 8, 2010, 07:14 PM
Onelove bhai what do you want me tell to onest you read my mind i was thinking the same way to post a tread but you did it, actually this is the perfect idea of decentralize our countries cricket god bless you for this idea to bing it as a proposal,

I am a first time poster, long time reader.

We all know Bangladesh is a 150+ million strong country, however in 10 years we have more or less failed to unearth talent, (pacemen for example) nurture them, educate them. Perhaps it has to do how cricket is run in bangladesh. Maybe decentralizing power would help bangladesh in the long run.

So wish to set up a discussion on the idea of decentralizing BCB and turn it into much more like BCCI.

BCB is already made up of 6 teams now Dhaka, Chittagong, Barishal, Khulna, Sylhet and Rajshahi, soon Rangpur is to be added there. It should be turned into a 7 associations where each associations runs cricket within its zone and send a team to represent it at the national cup level.

I know I have just given a small framework with a lot of gaps.. perhaps you guys can debate..modify etc. for example players who do not do well can get relegated to the lower level and those that do well can get promoted.

(i know BCB wont do anything of that sort but lets me honest its fun to discuss substantial stuff, is it not? and who knows maybe BCB can get inspired by reading the discussions and change the way cricket is run in bangladesh)

beshideshi
December 8, 2010, 07:43 PM
Welcome Onelove,
this is a great concept,all the successful cricket nations have a very decentralized cricketing structure, take Australia for example; all amateurs/semi pros play in grade in each state, there are 5 level of grade cricket and from the top grade players are selected for the state teams. And each state is responsible for who they pick, this in my opinion is the best system to pick out talents.

A similar structure in Bangladesh can also be run, each district having a cricket competition, then the district association picks a team from their league, send it out to the divisional league, where the divisional selectors pick a team and so on.
Without decentralization, we can not expect long term growth in our cricket, all we will have is 15-20 international class players with a vacuum following them

Jadukor
December 8, 2010, 10:05 PM
This is indeed a great concept and probably the right direction to move in the long run. My question is do we have sufficient funds to make such a move?... We would have to invest in stadiums, people and necessary facilities so that these associations could run on its own. How we will undertake this investment? BCCI is the richest board in the world so they can do whatever they want... what would be a feasible financial model for us?

Akib
December 8, 2010, 10:09 PM
Love the idea. It will give more options for players to play. The more that play, the better they will get.

Now other than the politics issue, money might also be a problem? You'd need a lot of money to set all these competitions up (and to pay the players).

However even with these issues, this idea rocks. Just like with our government and services, decentralization is the answer.

bujhee kom
December 8, 2010, 10:13 PM
Ami kintoo first bhebechilaam OneLove bhai BC-er onno kono bhaier marriage Proposal korar jonno ei thread-ta khulechilen!

Ajfar
December 9, 2010, 12:12 AM
^ haha BK bhai ami bhabsilam it has something to do with ashrafuler biya.

Welcome to BC onelove bhai
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

BANFAN
December 9, 2010, 12:41 AM
Great idea and we were unanimous on the issue in past discussions on decentralization. Unfortunately BCB couldn't do it yet. Although they also agree on the issue. Decentralization is also in their agenda. Like the national level ... our people who goes to the top, is always less interested in decentralization, as it reduces their power. Hope we learn to overcome that soon, at least in cricket..

Onelove
December 9, 2010, 08:10 AM
Salam to the new member Onelove

wa laikum as salam, shamim mia

Onelove
December 9, 2010, 08:31 AM
Love the idea. It will give more options for players to play. The more that play, the better they will get.

Now other than the politics issue, money might also be a problem? You'd need a lot of money to set all these competitions up (and to pay the players).

However even with these issues, this idea rocks. Just like with our government and services, decentralization is the answer.

I do not think money would be a huge problem when its decentralized like this. keep in mind that outside of dhaka and chittagong, Tk 5000/mth goes real far and majority of the players would be students and semi professionals.

We can have 2 different grade systems under associate level

for example, lets use rangpur again

centrally contracted players for rangpur can get 5000-10000 tk per month

and we can break it down again and get district level centrally contracted players will get 500-2000 tk per month

so for rangpur total cost for players per year would be (lets use 15 players @ 7000 (because not everyone will get the low end and not everyone would get high end) 1260000 which is $17500 per year.

and district level lets again take 15 players at median of 1000 taka * 8 teams *12 which comes to tk 1440000 or $20,000 per year

now we have seen the cost aspect of it and must admit it is not that much. if we add in the benefit to the society and how it would help the young people in every district, how it will keep the youth from going into crime, politics, drugs etc since they have a genuine legal option, is that cost not worth it? now at each district level there will be huge competition by kids to get that stipend, think great talents such competition would bring out?

BCB if i have the sources correct, is hugely profitable. I do not think BCB would have much trouble spending $300000 per year on such projects. (250,000 for players and rest for other stuff) think about what sort of sponsorships it would entice, BCB would be the only ad market that would have such deep penetration (other than political parties)

$300000 lotus kamal alone can fund it per year

@Jadukor, every district already has a multipurpose field for sports, we can take over some district college grounds, turn it into cricket ground at minimal expense. (maybe i am wrong, perhaps fellow members who are in bangladesh can correct me and tell me if there are such grounds like comilla zilla college) we do not need to go all out right now, baby steps, as the country enjoys success more sponsors and better tv deals will be signed then we can go and develop them to international standards, right now I think local standards would suffice.

@ banfan, bujheekom, akib, munshi33, skhondoker, nighwolf - thank you for your welcome and thank you for ur encouragement, I was worried my idea was crazy.

@beshideshi bangladesh follows the australian model, if we are already doing it, why not go all the way.

shuziburo
December 9, 2010, 09:30 AM
Salam and welcome to Onelove.

Great proposal! Keep them coming.

Something like this will only happen if the government was decentralized, say, into 4 or 6 provinces. However, that makes too much sense and the central politicians will lose quite a bit of power. Thus, neither will happen in the short run. However, if there is enough clamoring about this, they will have to pay attention and it might happen eventually. So, we should write to politicians, ministries, embassies, etc and send letters to newspapers for eventually making it a reality.

Haru-party
December 9, 2010, 09:35 AM
WC to BC. you are expecting decentralization of power from our politicians!!! do u live in BD? then you must be joking. u know our politicians....dont u? the word power says it all. good initiative......just not gonna happen in bangladesh...hard luck...not for u...for our country.

Onelove
December 9, 2010, 09:37 AM
WC to BC. you are expecting decentralization of power from our politicians!!! do u live in BD? then you must be joking. u know our politicians....dont u? the word power says it all. good initiative......just not gonna happen in bangladesh...hard luck...not for u...for our country.

maybe i should run for parliament next election :smug: any one willing to vote for me?

shuziburo
December 9, 2010, 09:41 AM
maybe i should run for parliament next election :smug: any one willing to vote for me?

If you run on decentralization platform, I will.

Onelove
December 9, 2010, 09:48 AM
If you run on decentralization platform, I will.

not to make it into a politics thread.. but a small comment

a party already has decentralization plan but i am sure that party wont cross more than 10% of the vote (last election they got 7%)

we may say that will vote for certain proposal however in the end we do vote for either bnp or al.. look at me, even I am a hypocrite, I will not vote for that party, even though I believe in decentralization.

Haru-party
December 9, 2010, 09:59 AM
not to make it into a politics thread.. but a small comment

a party already has decentralization plan but i am sure that party wont cross more than 10% of the vote (last election they got 7%)

we may say that will vote for certain proposal however in the end we do vote for either bnp or al.. look at me, even I am a hypocrite, I will not vote for that party, even though I believe in decentralization.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWE6seINeoE
a great song from a great man...pete seeger.....suits very well for our country

lamisa
December 9, 2010, 10:28 AM
hehe,i also thought that this was about someone's marriage!on topic:this is a great idea.this will benefit our country from an economic prospective as well,it will generate more employment because in order to execute this plan,we not only require cricketers but also a lot of people to do the coaching;administrative works,etc...

dash
December 9, 2010, 10:46 AM
bcb should decentralise its current internal activities first....let the appropriate dept do its job........selection comittee select team, cricket comittee do its work...............not to have hitler lotus without whose acceptance a team cant be announced

Haru-party
December 9, 2010, 11:33 AM

the fact is we like preaching but not practising :(

kazis2007
December 9, 2010, 02:27 PM
^ haha BK bhai ami bhabsilam it has something to do with ashrafuler biya.

Welcome to BC onelove bhai
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

Ami vebesilam sakib'r biyer proposal.lol
Thanks for the nice thread onelove Bhai