PDA

View Full Version : Siddons wants int'l matches

Nadim
December 10, 2010, 01:29 PM
bangladesh coach jamie siddons is keen on the tigers playing international cricket next month after yesterday's washout in chittagong. The current series against zimbabwe is the last international fixture bangladesh have ahead of the 2011 world cup.

The tigers head coach, who returned from brisbane on friday night after wife kim gave birth to his second child toby, said he would ask the board to find an opponent, though that could be the hard part of the bargain.

"i'm pushing for an international series at the end of january or early february. I will discuss this, and a whole range of other issues, on december 14 when i meet the board," said siddons.

"it is aimed to get all the players together before the world cup. But i am not sure if we will get a team at that time," added the 46-year-old australian.

though the proposed one-day series may remain a "proposed" one, siddons is pinning his hopes on the premier league later this month to give his charges the much-needed match practice ahead of the world cup.
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=165570

Good idea IMO.

magic boy
December 10, 2010, 01:34 PM
ja korar Januaryr moddhei shesh korle valo hobe

roman
December 10, 2010, 01:38 PM
I would love to see a series against Pakistan

Habib
December 10, 2010, 01:44 PM

I would not.

Raynman
December 10, 2010, 01:45 PM
AUS/ENG and NZ/PAK are busy with each other.

WI/SL are likely to reschedule.

Thats puts IND and SA, both who are in our groups.

The other choices are ZIM :D, IRE, NED (both in our group), KEN, SCO as far as qualifiers go.

Another option could be to make Afghanistan's day and invite them for a series. The drawback there is a loss/losses will be devastating.

Nafi
December 10, 2010, 01:47 PM
Good proactive stuff from Siddons

Though the best opponent to prepare us for the world cup is Pakistan

LateCut
December 10, 2010, 02:10 PM
India seemed to be free. It will be match between two white-washers! Besided WI is in SL (they will reschedule the 1-dayer with SL for January). It could be tri-series. On second thought I would much rather play SL.

bujhee kom
We should invite Pakistan and West Indies. And we have a Pakistan visit long due since the one got canceled during the BDR Pilkhana Massacre.

reyme
I want to see PAK. The stadium will be packed.

Ajfar
December 10, 2010, 02:16 PM
Well we don't have to ask for International tour. We can always ask for a A team tour. And pack our A team with mostly national team player.

Beamer
December 10, 2010, 02:19 PM
India should be the last team on my mind. Two fold reasoning. No.1 since we are playing them the first all important game in WC, its better for us if India doesn't get acclimated to our bowlers and batsmen and their tendencies. No.2, If India beats us easily, which they are very capable of, then we will go into WC first game psychologically already damaged. I think less is more now. Certainly not India for practice matches.

Aahiyan
December 10, 2010, 02:35 PM
I would go for WI, If we play against them we have a chance to win few matches.

shajib14
December 10, 2010, 02:54 PM
Pakistan is the best option to me. a series with Pakistan is long overdue , there would be a lot of excitement and intense competition if the series materialises, which would be best for our WC preparation as well. Any team in our WC group should not be considered.

simon
December 10, 2010, 03:01 PM
bring WI as the series btwn Sri & WI is almost ruined bcse of rain,they might want to come.
tell them to get a flight & leave Sri arrive Dhaka.:-D

Murad
December 10, 2010, 03:02 PM
India seemed to be free. It will be match between two white-washers! Besided WI is in SL (they will reschedule the 1-dayer with SL for January). It could be tri-series. On second thought I would much rather play SL.

India is not free. They have 3 Tests and 5 ODIs in SA starting Next week.

We should invite Afghanistan or Scotland.

Murad
December 10, 2010, 03:08 PM
Pakistan is the best option to me. a series with Pakistan is long overdue , there would be a lot of excitement and intense competition if the series materialises, which would be best for our WC preparation as well. Any team in our WC group should not be considered.

Pakistan is not free either. They have a long tour in NZ which ends just before WC.

Holden
December 10, 2010, 03:31 PM
Considering the scheduling circumstances it should be Afghanistan. They have improved vastly in a short time. We should not act like India, who still have not invited Bangladesh to tour. Afghanistan deserve to be invited and would provide a good test for our boys.

reyme
December 10, 2010, 04:20 PM
^ Winning against Afgans will not give us much ranking points. But losing, specially right before the WC would be disastrous. I say we achive 75 points in ODI before inviting any team that ranks below us. We also need to win a few TESTS before playing AFG. Otherwise a LOSS agaist AFG will start a huge cry to cancel our TEST status. It might not hurt our test status but you wont see big sponsors coming supporting our team, that would be a big finanicial blow.

Playing against the PAK means challenging our spinners to the limit, which they did not experience for a while.

al Furqaan
December 10, 2010, 06:26 PM
India should be the last team on my mind. Two fold reasoning. No.1 since we are playing them the first all important game in WC, its better for us if India doesn't get acclimated to our bowlers and batsmen and their tendencies. No.2, If India beats us easily, which they are very capable of, then we will go into WC first game psychologically already damaged. I think less is more now. Certainly not India for practice matches.

exactly.

bring in Afghanistan and Ireland for a tri series if need be. Irish won't beat us at home even with practice and in the very unlikely event they do, then we don't deserve a QF berth to begin with. but with razzak in the form he's in...irish have no chance.

HereWeGo
December 10, 2010, 06:44 PM
Better still, just make 3 teams out of 40 world cup probables (same strength each) and let them play a tri series.... Will make the selection for the world cup team a lot simpler and both Siddons and Pont will be aware of the talents we have in our domestic arena... I personally believe we have better bowler than nazmul, dollar, rasel and better batsmen than rakib, mahmudullah and nayeem. Time to unearth them....

Zeeshan
December 10, 2010, 06:49 PM
australia ki dosh korse?

al Furqaan
December 10, 2010, 07:12 PM
Better still, just make 3 teams out of 40 world cup probables (same strength each) and let them play a tri series.... Will make the selection for the world cup team a lot simpler and both Siddons and Pont will be aware of the talents we have in our domestic arena... I personally believe we have better bowler than nazmul, dollar, rasel and better batsmen than rakib, mahmudullah and nayeem. Time to unearth them....

we should do this in addition to international matches. nothing will beat our core XV taking on another int'l outfit in a actual match.

godzilla
December 10, 2010, 08:11 PM

I woudn't want to see a tournament full of controversies which involves us before the WC begins ... being said that I think teams like AFGAN or Kenya or wtv team is below us should be easy to make a fixture with (excluding Ireland since they are in our group for WC). They will 99% say yes to the tour and plus this will keep our winning momentum going (just like before the WC 07 when we played teams like Kenya and Zim mostly before the WC and kept the winning mementum)/

Naimul_Hd
December 10, 2010, 08:24 PM

wholeheartedly agree with your suggestion. playing with same 11 does not give much chances to coaches to pick best team. Playing against each other would rather make things very much competitive and it will give other players a glimpse of hope as well.

wiseshah
December 10, 2010, 09:39 PM
my four choices

1. west indies--beat them and become number 8
2. pakistan--time to beat indisciplined pakistan team and boast our confidence
3. srilanka--invite in tri nation with WI
4. new zealand--white wash them again

Tigers_eye
December 10, 2010, 09:56 PM
Lal, shobuj, U-19. Bash dewa hobay!! Play at Mirpur and Chittagong.

Fog will delay the game anyways!!

Night_wolf
December 10, 2010, 10:22 PM
invite afg and play them with our A team containing mostly int players..

wiseshah
December 10, 2010, 11:32 PM
bring australia and beat them. their form is not that good, we might have a chance now

shakibrulz
December 10, 2010, 11:54 PM
Aussies & Eng - Ashes
SA & India - Ind tour SA
Pak & NZ - Pak tour NZ
WI & SL - Rescheduled series in Jan
Zim - Well :-p

So I don't think it's feasible, but they should've invited Pak long back IMO.

desirocker
December 11, 2010, 02:32 AM
http://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/cricketnews/PCB-cancels-series-in-Bangladesh-on-security-grounds/Article1-637064.aspx

foolish pcb

dolcevita
December 11, 2010, 02:45 AM
http://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/cricketnews/PCB-cancels-series-in-Bangladesh-on-security-grounds/Article1-637064.aspx

foolish pcb

Rag korse
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

Shehwar
December 11, 2010, 02:49 AM
Just invite Kenya over for a series. We can experiment and try out most of our players as well.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

godzilla
December 11, 2010, 03:00 AM

foolish pcb

Hehe! who gives a damn ... it's always good to keep trouble far away.

jisaan
December 11, 2010, 05:34 AM
no one's gonna hear to his plea...
lota with all his bodna(s) are busy calculating how much they will 'make' from the tournament.
they sacked the curator of Ctg to accommodate another 'Aw-leaguer' who spoiled an Int'l match due to his stupidity & ignorance.

Night_wolf
December 11, 2010, 05:50 AM

foolish pcb

bd gov canceled the series 4 the bdr crisis..idiots in pcb

shakibrulz
December 11, 2010, 07:00 AM

foolish pcb
PCB canceling tour on security grounds? :floor: What has the world come to?

zainab
December 11, 2010, 08:00 AM
Most crcketing nations are playing more cricket ahead of the WC than BD. BCB should have been trying months ago to at least get Aghanistan or Kenya to come. I think that it is too late to tr.
India, NZ,England and Australia are getting more matches in Tests and ODIs
i think the boys will have o gain some form in the league games. I have not seen much improvement in their batting and fielding. bowling needs to be improved.

firstlane
December 11, 2010, 08:04 AM
I like the idea of playing against some of the stronger A teams.

Roni_uk
December 11, 2010, 11:34 AM
Desperately need some international matches before the world cup. Everyone else is busy except for BD. Not too impressed by this Zimb series either so far since we lost the first one, then a wash out. I think only teams we might find are Ire, Afg, Sco before Feb.

lamisa
December 11, 2010, 11:37 AM
let's ask zim to extend their visit!!!

Night_wolf
December 11, 2010, 11:39 AM
Desperately need some international matches before the world cup. Everyone else is busy except for BD. Not too impressed by this Zimb series either so far since we lost the first one, then a wash out. I think only teams we might find are Ire, Afg, Sco before Feb.

Roni vai just one off topic question for u..i am just guessing that u r an British Bangladeshi..who r u gona support in the BD vs Eng Wc match?:)

Nadim
December 11, 2010, 01:55 PM
Only Canada could play

In response to coach Jamie Siddons's desire for the national team to play some more international matches before the 2011 World Cup, the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) yesterday revealed that it might be possible to arrange some matches against Canada.

According to the existing schedule, the Tigers will play two warm-up games -- against Canada on February 12 and Pakistan on February 15 -- before taking on India in the opening match of the showcase event on February 19 at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium.

"We also feel that it would be better if we could play some international matches before the World Cup and accordingly we are communicating with different countries. But the chance is very slim to get any team," said Enayet Hossain Siraj, chairman of BCB's cricket operations committee yesterday.

"We are however trying to bring Canada earlier than the schedule so that we can play some more matches against them before the World Cup," he added.

BCB's media committee chairman Jalal Yunus said that they would continue their efforts to convince any team to play a series against the Tigers.

Bangladesh coach Siddons expressed his desire after the fourth match of the five-match series against Zimbabwe was washed out on Friday.

As per schedule the current series against the Africans is the last international engagement for Shakib Al Hasan's men, but the Tigers will get a chance to play the Premier Division Cricket League, which starts December 14.
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=165700

simon
December 11, 2010, 01:59 PM
BC member miley ekta dol banai,amader chey bhalo opponent ar koi pabey,ki bolen bhais & apas?

Nadim
December 11, 2010, 02:05 PM
gd idea Simon bhai but amare dole niyen kintu...amar talent ta world ke dekhano dorkar:)
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)

mafizraju
December 11, 2010, 02:42 PM
Why can't we get SL or WI to play? With all due respect to Canadian and Afghan team No point in playing Canada and Afghanistan at this point of preparation. We need to improve on few things, and specially some close fight against SL will help the team.....With Canada you will only get match practice, but our batters and bowlers need some real challenge to improve few notches....I am all up if BCB has to pay from the pocket even to go and play in SL. we need to play SL. Their batters are good against spin, and they got fantastic bowlers to give our top orders real challenge.

mafizraju
December 11, 2010, 03:21 PM
according to today's Prothom-alo... SL said they are willing to play but the series has to be in SL. but apparently BCB wants the series in Bangladesh. I really do not see any problem if we go and play in SL. renovation work is clearly still going on. SL is not far from Bangladesh, so travel is not an issue, on top of that their pitch is not so different. I think the team should go to SL for 3-5 match series. that will be a very good idea. and they shoudl do it in mid january, so that

simon
December 11, 2010, 03:37 PM
gd idea Simon bhai but amare dole niyen kintu...amar talent ta world ke dekhano dorkar:)
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)

tato oboshshoi,tobe tumi wicket er pechone thakba ar Mushyr moton chillachilli korba ,thik asey?:-D

wiseshah
December 11, 2010, 03:38 PM
according to today's Prothom-alo... SL said they are willing to play but the series has to be in SL. but apparently BCB wants the series in Bangladesh. I really do not see any problem if we go and play in SL. renovation work is clearly still going on. SL is not far from Bangladesh, so travel is not an issue, on top of that their pitch is not so different. I think the team should go to SL for 3-5 match series. that will be a very good idea. and they shoudl do it in mid january, so that

totally make sense.

wiseshah
December 11, 2010, 03:39 PM
no minnows please, we should only play with team better ranking than us before WC.

Tiger444
December 11, 2010, 04:13 PM
Wow we should go to SL then. Why is bcb being picky about that? I would much rather go to SL then play canada in BD. Playing in SL is waaay better preparation then playing canada. It would be a real test for our boys and we could be more confident with our lineup if things click. I would be really disappointed in bcb if the boys don't go down 2 SL.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

Shehwar
December 11, 2010, 04:21 PM
We'll play all 6 of our matches at home. I feel we should play a series at home regardless of the opposition.

Tiger444
December 11, 2010, 05:45 PM
^if it was a team that was as strong as us then I would want to play at home as well but canada is just way 2 light of a team to play. I could understand our A team playing them but not our national team. I know I'm sounding very stuck up but we need tough opposition ahead of the world cup. SL also has similar conditions to us so it would be a good practice. Also if we get out of the 1st round we might have to play SL at home. So it would be nice to get used to SL pitches. BCB should pounce on this opportunity in my opinion.

Night_wolf
December 11, 2010, 05:57 PM
^if it was a team that was as strong as us then I would want to play at home as well but canada is just way 2 light of a team to play. I could understand our A team playing them but not our national team. I know I'm sounding very stuck up but we need tough opposition ahead of the world cup. SL also has similar conditions to us so it would be a good practice. Also if we get out of the 1st round we might have to play SL at home. So it would be nice to get used to SL pitches. BCB should pounce on this opportunity in my opinion.

it doesn't necessarily always means that we need to play strong teams to have a better preparation..before 07 wc we had a series vs zim and a tri series containing 2 minnows.. after that we did fairly well in the 07 wc..cos we had a wining momentum..playing Sl in BD would have been good cos we r playing all our wc matches at home but in SL?..hmm what if we lose badly and it hurts or confident?

Tiger444
December 11, 2010, 06:24 PM
it doesn't necessarily always means that we need to play strong teams to have a better preparation..before 07 wc we had a series vs zim and a tri series containing 2 minnows.. after that we did fairly well in the 07 wc..cos we had a wining momentum..playing Sl in BD would have been good cos we r playing all our wc matches at home but in SL?..hmm what if we lose badly and it hurts or confident?

Ya we did well after the games against minnows in 2007 but still I think its always good to play against tough teams when you have the chance. They'll learn a lot more by playing SL then canada. The coaches could also see how we're doing before the WC. Canada would struggle a lot to our spin at home and our batsmen won't get tested. Whereas SL's bowlers would test our batsmen to the fullest and we could see how they cope. Our spinners would also get tested. They could learn a few things before they go up against india.

Also we shouldn't worry about if we get beaten comprehensively and hurting their confidence. We shouldn't back down from challenges. Those days should be gone. We've whitewashed NZ and beaten england in their own conditions haven't we? I believe it will only help if we go down to SL.

Rifat
December 11, 2010, 06:45 PM
I personally Prefer the Tigers to play at Sri Lanka: for many reasons:

1. Strong opponent
2. Foreign condition(if we get past QF, it will give us the much needed famiiarity)
3. We are too used to playing at home.

Challenging conditions can only Make us stronger.

I ask Allah to give BCB the correct frame of mind to make the correct choice!

Good Job Siddons :up:! I am with you on this one!

Inviting Lower Ranked Teams won't help our cause this time even though the opponents of this argument will point out the fact that Prior to World Cup '07, that was the case! the main Reasons behind our success against India was because India was "surprised"+ we figured out our team 11 + winning mentality. This will not be the case this time since we are yet to find our golden 11 + we already sort of have winning mentlity(beating weaker opponents now will just overinflate the ego and the bubble will burst in the world cup(reality says that last world cup we played poorly against classier opposition who took us seriously on a given day apart from 2/3 matches)), and we need to get as much preparation as needed. the tougher the challenge we accustom ourselves to before the world cup, the Easier InshaAllah things will become.

Rifat
December 11, 2010, 06:47 PM
for personal reasons, off course this is a brilliant idea, many of us student fans have school off in late december-january ;)

Tiger444
December 11, 2010, 06:54 PM
^exactly. These times are very different. In 2007, teams got surprised by us. Now is a way different story. People know not to take us lightly anymore. We've beaten good teams in recent times and they know its at our home so they'll be extra careful. Shakib, tamim, and mushy were barely known at the last world cup. They were young kids who were still very raw. Now shakib and tamim are world class players that can give teams fits. So we can't play the surprise card anymore.

Shehwar
December 11, 2010, 07:27 PM
Am I the only one who is thinking let's get out of our group first and then concentrate on the knock out stages? Gache kathal gof e tel hoye jachche na? I think we should keep playing in our home conditions and absolutely master the art of playing in Dhaka and Chittagong which will give us a massive advantage and the best possible chances of progressing to the next stage. The whole talk of we might have to play such and such in foreign conditions is a bit premature if you ask me. Even India and Pakistan didn't get out of their groups in the last World Cup! We should concentrate on our first job at hand. and personally who cares where and in what conditions we play the quarter-finals! Anything can happen in a knock out match.

FagunerAgun
December 11, 2010, 08:40 PM
I personally Prefer the Tigers to play at Sri Lanka: for many reasons:

1. Strong opponent
2. Foreign condition(if we get past QF, it will give us the much needed famiiarity)
3. We are too used to playing at home.

Challenging conditions can only Make us stronger.

I ask Allah to give BCB the correct frame of mind to make the correct choice!

Good Job Siddons :up:! I am with you on this one!

Inviting Lower Ranked Teams won't help our cause this time even though the opponents of this argument will point out the fact that Prior to World Cup '07, that was the case! the main Reasons behind our success against India was because India was "surprised"+ we figured out our team 11 + winning mentality. This will not be the case this time since we are yet to find our golden 11 + we already sort of have winning mentlity(beating weaker opponents now will just overinflate the ego and the bubble will burst in the world cup(reality says that last world cup we played poorly against classier opposition who took us seriously on a given day apart from 2/3 matches)), and we need to get as much preparation as needed. the tougher the challenge we accustom ourselves to before the world cup, the Easier InshaAllah things will become.
Good post, Rifat.

Tiger444
December 11, 2010, 09:07 PM
Am I the only one who is thinking let's get out of our group first and then concentrate on the knock out stages? Gache kathal gof e tel hoye jachche na? I think we should keep playing in our home conditions and absolutely master the art of playing in Dhaka and Chittagong which will give us a massive advantage and the best possible chances of progressing to the next stage. The whole talk of we might have to play such and such in foreign conditions is a bit premature if you ask me. Even India and Pakistan didn't get out of their groups in the last World Cup! We should concentrate on our first job at hand. and personally who cares where and in what conditions we play the quarter-finals! Anything can happen in a knock out match.

Of course we should concentrate on the 1st round! That's why playing against SL would be very good preperation even if we have to go over there. We've played a lot of matches already in BD this year so the boys have a lot of practice under their belt in home conditions. My point of playing SL later on is just a bonus. Didn't want to make it a big point. Don't understand where your getting this looking ahead from.

Roni_uk
December 11, 2010, 09:11 PM
Roni vai just one off topic question for u..i am just guessing that u r an British Bangladeshi..who r u gona support in the BD vs Eng Wc match?:)

aare bhai eita kono qs hoilo. Ki kon eishob. I might be british bangladesh but its only Bangladesh in my blood. ONLY BANGLADESH.... 2:10 AM .. still up for the match. 50 mins to go.

Oh Ya.. look at my avatar - it will give it away :)

firstlane
December 11, 2010, 10:06 PM
Why can't we get SL or WI to play? With all due respect to Canadian and Afghan team No point in playing Canada and Afghanistan at this point of preparation. We need to improve on few things, and specially some close fight against SL will help the team.....With Canada you will only get match practice, but our batters and bowlers need some real challenge to improve few notches....I am all up if BCB has to pay from the pocket even to go and play in SL. we need to play SL. Their batters are good against spin, and they got fantastic bowlers to give our top orders real challenge.

I can't agree more.

firstlane
December 11, 2010, 10:10 PM

ei bcb'r official guli opodartho. amra jodi quarter final par hoite pari taile to SL teo khelte hoite pare. Ekhon jaia khelte taile oshibidha ki?

Aar amar kotha hoilo ekhon ken eishob nia doura duri shuru hoise? eguli thik kore rakha uchit cilo aro ek bosor aage.

jisaan
December 12, 2010, 02:51 AM
Tamim has just hit his 300th :four: in ODIs!

max410
December 12, 2010, 06:22 AM
SRI LANKA is very good at their home conditions and BD has a very BAD RECORDS whenever they went to play in SRI LANKAN conditions i never saw them doing well over there TEST OR ODI's
so it will obviously be better option but sri lanka is in good form , i want BD to win matches that the only way they will be prepared 100% for the world cup. Not to loose a series 4-0 against sri lanka's bowling attack , i remind you sri lanka just won the ODI day series against Australia recently They are in top form

zainab
December 12, 2010, 07:51 AM
Canada is not a bad team to have won a place in the WC. At least it is practice. BCB left it too late, they should invite Afghanistan who IMO is a stronger team than Canada,

Night_wolf
December 12, 2010, 10:04 AM
Canada is not a bad team to have won a place in the WC. At least it is practice. BCB left it too late, they should invite Afghanistan who IMO is a stronger team than Canada,

if have already a practice match vs canada before the wc..so afg is the better option..and also their fast bowler hamid hassan is very good..it will be interesting to see what our batsmen do against them

Nadim
December 14, 2010, 04:54 PM
[বাংলা]কোচ জেমি সিডন্স ২০১১ বিশ্বকাপের আগে আরেকটি সিরিজ চান। সে মতে এর-ওর দরজায় টোকা দিয়ে শেষমেশ কানাডার সায় পেয়েছেন। তবে ই-মেইল চালাচালির আনুষ্ঠানিকতা শেষ হয়নি বলে গতকালই তিন ম্যাচের এ সিরিজের ব্যাপারে চূড়ান্ত কিছু বলতে রাজি হননি বিসিবি পরিচালক ও ক্রিকেট অপারেশনস কমিটির চেয়ারম্যান এনায়েত হোসেন সিরাজ। আজ বিসিবির টেকনিক্যাল কমিটির সভায় সফরসূচি নিশ্চিত হওয়ার কথা। কিন্তু ২০১১ বিশ্বকাপের আগে দুর্বল প্রতিপক্ষের বিপক্ষে খেলে কতটা লাভবান হবে বাংলাদেশ, তা নিয়ে নীতি-নির্ধারণী মহলেই রয়েছে সংশয়। সাকিব আল হাসান নিজেও শক্তিশালী দলের বিপক্ষে খেলার পক্ষপাতী।[/বাংলা]

http://dailykalerkantho.com/?view=details&type=gold&data=Forum&pub_no=370&cat_id=1&menu_id=18&news_type_id=1&index=0

Ajfar
December 14, 2010, 04:59 PM
Why don't they just ask Canada to come 1 week early then they were already planning on coming. We can have a 3 match series than right before the world cup in addition to that practice match. And see if we can get someone else before them.

Roni_uk
December 14, 2010, 06:19 PM
What are we going to learn just playing with Canada and how come only canada is available? WHy not Scotland, Holland, Afganistan, Ireland and possibly Kenya and have a mini-minnow tournament.

Zunaid
December 14, 2010, 06:20 PM
BCB trying to get Sri Lanka to come.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=166096

Dhruvo
December 14, 2010, 06:24 PM
We should go to Sri Lanka. We already are used to our pitches, maybe playing in Sri Lanka will allow our players to be better prepared if they play a WC game in there.

Ajfar
December 14, 2010, 07:36 PM
What are we going to learn just playing with Canada and how come only canada is available? WHy not Scotland, Holland, Afganistan, Ireland and possibly Kenya and have a mini-minnow tournament.

Is this some kind smart plan to secure Nafees a spot in the world cup 11?

Tendulkar_Mcgrath
December 14, 2010, 08:34 PM
I want australia in january

tanim3960
December 14, 2010, 08:38 PM
Srilanka might stepup and play some ODI with us................

rinathq
December 14, 2010, 08:40 PM
Playing Sri Lanka is the best option right now....... Because spin will backfire so bad against us. So this will be the time to actually play a team where we dunt play at their weakness, but level by level.....
It will be the test for the pacers as well as Batsmen......... Really hope they organize some matches
I know the Canadian team, i have played against every single player of the team and they are not super good quality. They are rather old and not perfectly fit.... They will only make our players over confident..............

al Furqaan
December 14, 2010, 09:19 PM
We should go to Sri Lanka. We already are used to our pitches, maybe playing in Sri Lanka will allow our players to be better prepared if they play a WC game in there.

i agree...going to SL will not be bad either. we might have to play them there in the Lion's den in the QF stage.

Ajfar
December 14, 2010, 09:49 PM
Ok, If it's Srilanka. Then who wants to Give Ashraful another chance? Surprising but true fact is Ashraful plays better against SL than any other test nations, 4 out of his 5 test centuries are against SL !

158* 275 194 24 3 81.44 5 not out 2 v India Chittagong 17 Dec 2004 Test # 1727
136 250 184 15 3 73.91 5 caught 1 v Sri Lanka Chittagong 28 Feb 2006 Test # 1784
129* 314 236 18 0 54.66 6 not out 3 v Sri Lanka Colombo (PSS) 3 Jul 2007 Test # 1838
114 248 212 16 0 53.77 6 caught 3 v Sri Lanka Colombo (SSC) 6 Sep 2001 Test # 1561
101 209 193 16 0 52.33 5 lbw 4 v Sri Lanka Dhaka 26 Dec 2008 Test # 1903

umm those are all test hundreds and we'll be playing ODI. So nop forget it.

Jadukor
December 14, 2010, 10:14 PM
We should invite Afghanistan or Scotland.

My thoughts exactly...

capslock
December 14, 2010, 10:54 PM
Going to Sri Lanka right before the world cup is a dumb idea. Not only will the conditions be different than Bangladesh, but a drubbing (quite possible) will evaporate any reservoir of confidence we have built up over the last couple of months.

Dhruvo
December 14, 2010, 10:59 PM
Going to Sri Lanka right before the world cup is a dumb idea. Not only will the conditions be different than Bangladesh, but a drubbing (quite possible) will evaporate any reservoir of confidence we have built up over the last couple of months.
If confidence does indeed help win matches then why should we not face Sri Lanka when we are high on confidence?

capslock
December 14, 2010, 11:16 PM
If confidence does indeed help win matches then why should we not face Sri Lanka when we are high on confidence?

Because we don't need to.

Dhruvo
December 14, 2010, 11:18 PM
Because we don't need to.
Sure we do, winning against them will make us 8th in ODIs and one step closer to our goal.

Zeeshan
December 14, 2010, 11:27 PM
I have to agree with Dhrubo here.

If we are so afraid that a series against SL will lower our confidence, then we already have low confidence to begin with at the back of our mind!

wth

PoorFan
December 15, 2010, 12:26 AM
Well, bring on SL ... they wont hurt us other than gain. Playing them in Mirpur means we have chance to win atleast one.

LBW103
December 15, 2010, 01:23 AM
You got to have NO FEAR if you want to be with the big boys in World Cricket.

If we play anyone ranked higher or lower it doesn't matter, as long as we learn.

Rabz
December 15, 2010, 01:51 AM
If SL comes to Mirpur and we can manage a 2-1 series win, that would mean the whole world to us.
We could jump ranks over WI, beat a team well over us in the table, create Major Hoopla around us, walk into the world cup with some series moral high.

Otherwise, it is still better to lose to Sri Lanka than to win against Canada.

Naimul_Hd
December 15, 2010, 09:57 AM
বিশ্বকাপের আগে দ্বিপাক্ষিক কোন আন্তর্জাতিক সিরিজ না খেলার বিষয়ে একমত হয়েছেন টেকনিক্যাল ও মূল্যায়ন কমিটির সদস্যরা। আগামী বোর্ড সভায় এবিষয়ে প্রস্তাব উত্থাপন করা হবে। বিসিবি মিডিয়া কমিটির প্রধান বলেন,“কানাডাকে যোগ্য প্রতিদ্বন্দ্বী মনে হয়নি আমাদের। এছাড়া কোচও (জেমি সিডন্স) চাচ্ছেন না বিশ্বকাপের আগে ছোট দলের বিপক্ষে খেলা হোক।”

source : http://banglanews24.com/detailsnews.php?nssl=9908f9fe263a529681a44d6e9c961 c4d&nttl=2010121520709

amar11432
December 15, 2010, 11:10 AM
^^ What does it say?

Night_wolf
December 15, 2010, 11:19 AM
^^ What does it say?

it says that technical board has agreed that there will not be any int series before WC..they dont think Canada is the Right opponent for us
now i agree that canada isn't the right opponent for us to face before the WC but Throwing the "int series b4 the wc" concept totally is just wrong

amar11432
December 15, 2010, 01:41 PM
"This time it would not be possible to manage the central wicket practice at Mirpur and that's why we have decided to conduct the training camp at the Academy ground," said BCB's media committee chairman Jalal Yunus, also a member of the technical committee.

Yunus also informed that it would not be possible for them to arrange an international series for the Tigers before the World Cup as desired by coach Jamie Siddons.

"Practically it's not possible to get any top team before the World Cup and what we think is that there is no point to play a series against Canada. We have the domestic competition and we believe it will be helpful for the players," he added.

http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=166219

shuziburo
December 15, 2010, 04:20 PM
Good proactive stuff from Siddons

Though the best opponent to prepare us for the world cup is Pakistan

Hmmmm...

shuziburo
December 16, 2010, 09:18 AM

I don't India ahead of the WC match. Pak, SL, or WI will be ok.

shuziburo
December 16, 2010, 09:20 AM

This is a good idea. But, we should still try to get a team to visit us.

shuziburo
December 16, 2010, 09:22 AM

foolish pcb

This also hurts them. But then, can you expect a rational stance from PCB?

lamisa
December 16, 2010, 09:24 AM
we aren't getting anyone :(:(:(

shuziburo
December 16, 2010, 09:24 AM

foolish pcb

Security grounds? Could they not come up with something a little more believable? BTW, Pak should be thankful that no SL player got killed. That might have caused a ban from ICC.

shuziburo
December 16, 2010, 09:27 AM

Why does the series have to be in BD? I would welcome any opportunity to play a good side. Wake up BCB!

shuziburo
December 16, 2010, 09:35 AM

SL is a good team and it will give BD a clearer idea of where we really are. I don't think we would be whitewashed. Plus, losing to the SL team should not put a huge dent on the team's morale. If it does, then we should not play. Nothing like measuring us against a tough opponent.

lamisa
December 17, 2010, 04:31 AM
i don't understand y we had to refuse to go to SL.beshi part martese loitta o shongopongo!

al Furqaan
December 17, 2010, 10:28 AM
sri lanka without vaas or murali (he will prolly sit out a series against before the WC) aren't that tough a question. they will always pose a challenge on their own turf...and i think we should take the opportunity of a 3 match series against them.

remember, rubel did not get a game against zimbabwe. we need to test ourselves more, and there is no way we'd get thrashed even if we do lose the series 3-0.

i think the boys are big enough to accept defeat without letting it shatter their WC confidence.

roman
December 17, 2010, 11:06 AM
I think they should tour SL. If BD proceeds to the 2nd round and beyond, I am sure they have to go to play in SL aswell. This tour would have helped them.

AsifTheManRahman
December 17, 2010, 06:12 PM
You got to have NO FEAR if you want to be with the big boys in World Cricket.

If we play anyone ranked higher or lower it doesn't matter, as long as we learn win.
Agreed, but after the slight modification above.

amar11432
December 18, 2010, 12:08 AM
Sri Lanka desperate for cricket before final World Cup squad selection

December 17, 2010 (Island Cricket): Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) is trying desperately to provide the national cricket team with ODI matches ahead of the final World Cup squad selection after the postponement of the five-match ODI series against the West Indies earlier this month. The postponement has hampered the selectors' ability to narrow down their 30-man squad to 15 players based on current form.

Aravinda de SilvaAravinda de Silva said that Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) is in discussion with other boards to schedule a series before the final WC squad selection. Sri Lankan selectors were relying on the series against the West Indies to finalise their World Cup squad, but inclement weather conditions, which also washed-out the entire three-match Test series against the West Indians, forced the teams to postpone the series to late January.

Speaking to the press on Wednesday, the Chairman of Selectors, Aravinda de Silva, said the selection committee was yet to finalise their final 15-man squad, but he is hopeful that SLC can invite a team over for a short series which will aid them in their selection.

"We have an idea, not the final 15, but we have an idea of 10 to 11 players. But there are a few places which we need to work out," de Silva said.

"If we can get some cricket before the final selection which is probably going to happen somewhere around the 5th, [that's] when we're going to sit down and pick the team, . But I think the cricket board is also trying to see whether there is any opportunity to try and play some international cricket before that."

de Silva said in the event that SLC was unable to arrange any matches in time, the selectors would be forced to take a risk and go with their "gut feeling".

"I think the board is also working on it. At least against Bangladesh or one of those sides who are free between this period to play a couple of One Day games, but if not we have to take the risk and go with our gut feeling.

"That is why we are here; to take certain decisions from the experiences we've had and what we've seen. My team and also the management are quite confident that we will put together a squad that is quite strong."

On losing home advantage due to lack of matches at the new World Cup venues, de Silva said: "It is unfortunate, but I'm sure they will practise enough. They have already fixed training sessions at Hambantota, Pallekele and even at Khettarama.

"I think they have organised some night sessions so that they will have enough exposure in those conditions before the WC.

"There's 65 days to go so there is ample time for them to do some proper training schedules and get some exposure."

Sri Lanka's World Cup venues have been under construction over the last 12-15 months and with rain preventing any play in the series against the West Indies, the home side have been unable to determine how the surfaces at the new venues will play.

http://www.islandcricket.lk/news/srilankacricket/85311217/sri-lanka-desperate-for-cricket-before-final-world-cup-squad-selection

[I]BCB Get you act together!!! :waiting::waiting::waiting:

lamisa
December 18, 2010, 09:12 AM
yes,MAN UP loitta!!!!

Rifat
December 18, 2010, 11:29 AM
SubhanAllah! Excellent news amar11432 bhai,

Yeah, this should be a good series for both teams and it should happen before the world cup.

simon
December 18, 2010, 05:28 PM
so if both boards agree sri will visit us,right?
tht will be grt,I think there is engh possibilities for this series to take place.

Raynman
December 18, 2010, 05:49 PM
Why not agree on a back to back Home and Away 3 game series with SL. Then both teams win.

Have BD visit for a 3 ODI and SL immediately return the favor in BD. Problem solved.

shuziburo
December 18, 2010, 05:56 PM
Why not agree on a back to back Home and Away 3 game series with SL. Then both teams win.

Have BD visit for a 3 ODI and SL immediately return the favor in BD. Problem solved.

This is not how it works, unfortunately.