PDA

View Full Version : Cricket, Bangladesh style

BD_Ashraful
December 11, 2010, 01:55 AM
Cricket on the Sub continent.... Reflections of an Aussie in the crowd at Shere – Bangla Stadium , Dhaka, Bangladesh

I recently had the chance of going to watch the 3rd ODI of a 5 match series between Bangladesh and Zimbabwe. This is arguably ‘the forgotten series’ with most of the cricketing world focusing on The Ashes, but that still did not stop the Bangladeshis coming out in vast numbers to support their beloved Bangladesh Tigers.

Rest is here ---> http://www.thebigtip.com.au/cricket/cricket-bangladesh-style

G'day everyone.

Did this little piece on my experience at the cricket. I have also emailed it to Zunaid and he might put it up on the Articles page here aswell.

Feedback is welcome.

Was a good day and a good win for B'desh.

Carn the Tigers

Cheers

Joe

Zeeshan
December 11, 2010, 02:06 AM
Hey Jo..can I call you that? It was very enjoyable read. Encapsulates a lot about how many fans outside BD feels. :)

BD_Ashraful
December 11, 2010, 02:11 AM
Hey Jo..can I call you that? It was very enjoyable read. Encapsulates a lot about how many fans outside BD feels. :)

Yeah, thats fine :)

Thanks mate, was a good experience :flag:

bujhee kom
December 11, 2010, 02:21 AM
Joseph bhai!! This is a super read! Very personal and fun experience! And all this time I thought you are a Bangali bro living in Australia!! Your writing will be such a nice piece for the front page.

Do you know Gowza? He is from there too, but seems to be amissing a bit..I hope he is okay!

P.S. Joseph bhai, want to read more of your writing about the Chagoler Bacchas and Dahl (Daail in Dhakaiya Bangla)!

Dilscoop
December 11, 2010, 03:01 AM
I swear to God! This is what happens when I decide to stay away from BC during the finals week! And now I get dragged down to it. So tempting.

Ok here is what I had to post. While I was studying for my Calculus test, I was watching the 3rd ODI game. And I saw a white guy with one of those white Bangla Brigade Shirt (i think that's what it was). He had a camera with him. He was jumping up and down. And I was soo tempted to come to BC and make a joke, "hey who is that guy! I bet he has a blog and he will post all those pictures from his camera, and write stuff!! find him!" And I didn't!! It would have been super kool!!

Dilscoop
December 11, 2010, 03:06 AM
Strangers in the street will come up to you and ask if you know Ricky Ponting or Adam Gilchrist just because you happen to be white. Bangladesh is cricket mad.

ha! I can see that happening clearly. nice read

Razi
December 11, 2010, 04:44 AM
Great article Joseph bro, I was also there for the 3rd ODI, and I must say the atmosphere that day was simply electrifying, it may not be such a high voltage game but TBH never enjoyed that much watching a match live at the stadium.

Haru-party
December 11, 2010, 04:48 AM
good one

BD_Ashraful
December 11, 2010, 04:54 AM
Joseph bhai!! This is a super read! Very personal and fun experience! And all this time I thought you are a Bangali bro living in Australia!! Your writing will be such a nice piece for the front page.

Do you know Gowza? He is from there too, but seems to be amissing a bit..I hope he is okay!

P.S. Joseph bhai, want to read more of your writing about the Chagoler Bacchas and Dahl (Daail in Dhakaiya Bangla)!

Thanks for the comments here and on the article page. Much appreciated.

I’ve sent it to Zunaid (Boss) and hopefully he thinks it worthy of the front page.

I was born in Australia but Bangladesh will always be my number one team.

No, sorry I don’t know Gowza.

I’ll try and write a few more pieces in the near distant future.

I swear to God! This is what happens when I decide to stay away from BC during the finals week! And now I get dragged down to it. So tempting.

Ok here is what I had to post. While I was studying for my Calculus test, I was watching the 3rd ODI game. And I saw a white guy with one of those white Bangla Brigade Shirt (i think that's what it was). He had a camera with him. He was jumping up and down. And I was soo tempted to come to BC and make a joke, "hey who is that guy! I bet he has a blog and he will post all those pictures from his camera, and write stuff!! find him!" And I didn't!! It would have been super kool!!

They showed him on the big screen, I think he was sitting near the supporters holding up each letter of Shakib’s name down near the players race.

Good luck with your calculus test, I am very grateful I never have to do calculus again :p

ha! I can see that happening clearly. nice read

Thanks bro.

Great article Joseph bro, I was also there for the 3rd ODI, and I must say the atmosphere that day was simply electrifying, it may not be such a high voltage game but TBH never enjoyed that much watching a match live at the stadium.

Thanks Razi bro.

The stadium was ¾’s full, just imagine what it will be like for the first game against India, each ball will be electric.

good one

Thanks bro.

Night_wolf
December 11, 2010, 06:08 AM
Awesome!...ur article made me emotional!..what a masterpiece!..Bro i will give u 11 out of 10..1 bonus for making me emotional!..Hats off to you!

Nadim
December 11, 2010, 06:15 AM
Keep it up bro :notworthy:

mehedi
December 11, 2010, 08:09 AM
"As an Aussie with a Bangladeshi mother" so Bangladesh is your nana bari

BD_Ashraful
December 11, 2010, 08:26 AM
Awesome!...ur article made me emotional!..what a masterpiece!..Bro i will give u 11 out of 10..1 bonus for making me emotional!..Hats off to you!

Thanks bro, much appreciated.

Keep it up bro :notworthy:

Cheers bro.

"As an Aussie with a Bangladeshi mother" so Bangladesh is your nana bari

Ha. Bangladesh will always be my number one team though :flag: Thanks.

lamisa
December 11, 2010, 11:31 AM
u should have been there during the nz series,specially the last odi.man,that was something!

Rabz
December 11, 2010, 01:04 PM
Good on ya mate.
Keep it up.

nycpro96
December 11, 2010, 03:09 PM
Wow. Amazing read man.

Haru-party
December 11, 2010, 03:19 PM
kash mera english bhi aisa achcha khasa hota :(

Shaan
December 11, 2010, 03:46 PM
nice read man..
“"Doura Bagh Ailo - Run...The Tigers Are Coming" is a group of young and enthusiastic people who are die hard fans of Cricket and the Bangladesh national Cricket team.

hahahaa like this part very much..

Nadim
December 11, 2010, 03:52 PM

pitaaaaa reee, ei rajakar re doira pitaaa...bangla forum aisa hindi/urdu maraiteche :mad:
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)

simon
December 11, 2010, 04:39 PM
grt piece of work Joseph,stay tuned.:flag:

firstlane
December 11, 2010, 10:19 PM

jei shomoi hindi movie deikha nosto korsen, oi somoita jodi english shikhar jonno kaaj e lagaiten tahole obbosshoi hoito :D

BD_Ashraful
December 11, 2010, 11:40 PM
u should have been there during the nz series,specially the last odi.man,that was something!

I know, it would have gone off when Rubel bowled Mills to win.

Good on ya mate.
Keep it up.

Cheers.

Wow. Amazing read man.

Thanks man.

nice read man..

hahahaa like this part very much..

Cheers man.

Yeah, the group does a great job. I've got a few invites to join them for the World Cup from a few members, shame I have to decline :(. Would have been a great experience.

grt piece of work Joseph,stay tuned.:flag:

Thanks mate.

Thanks for the comments on the article page aswell, and for the likes too.

Feel free to pass the article on friends who follow Bangladesh cricket but are not on the forum, keep up the good work.

Carn the Tigers!

Haru-party
December 12, 2010, 01:56 AM
jei shomoi hindi movie deikha nosto korsen, oi somoita jodi english shikhar jonno kaaj e lagaiten tahole obbosshoi hoito :D

ki je bolen english grammar boi-te ki deepika priyanka ke dekha jay naki :D

Haru-party
December 12, 2010, 02:02 AM
pitaaaaa reee, ei rajakar re doira pitaaa...bangla forum aisa hindi/urdu maraiteche :mad:
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)

botshe!!! shahoshikota oti uttom kintu otimatray prodorshon korile ta spordhar shamil bolia gonno hoy. ei bishoye tomake aro odhikotoro shocheton hoite hoibe. apatoto jestho vrata shomporke opomanshuchok montobbo kora hetu radhar sohit tomar obhishar teen diner jonno nishiddho ghoshito hoilo. asha kori tumi tomar choritri gothone odhikotoro monojogi hoibe.

BD_Ashraful
December 13, 2010, 01:38 AM
Thanks for all the comments guys.

The article needs 52 more views to be the 3rd most popular article for the Month by the end of the day, so tell your friends and have a read if you haven't already.

Carn the Tigers.

Naimul_Hd
December 13, 2010, 02:05 AM
really nice to see Bengali Aussie young people rooting for their country Bangladesh. I know a lot young bengali aussie who even hate to recognize themselves as "Bengali" ! anyway, forget them, they are not worthy to mention here.

Nice write up dear Joseph bro. Hopefully you will witness real madness of Bengali during WC 11. :)

BD_Ashraful
December 13, 2010, 08:29 AM
really nice to see Bengali Aussie young people rooting for their country Bangladesh. I know a lot young bengali aussie who even hate to recognize themselves as "Bengali" ! anyway, forget them, they are not worthy to mention here.

Nice write up dear Joseph bro. Hopefully you will witness real madness of Bengali during WC 11. :)

I know alot of Indians in Melbourne who are like this too.

Thanks mate.

1999 - Aus vs Pak
2003 - Aus vs Ind
2007 - Aus vs Sri Lanka
2011 - Aus vs Ban ?????

Carn the Tigers.

PS: 13 views to go until the article is number 3 for the month, tell your mates:-D

roman
December 13, 2010, 08:47 AM
Excellent work!!!

akabir77
December 13, 2010, 10:31 AM
wonderful writing... Congratulations!

syedmahm
December 13, 2010, 10:33 AM
That is such a awesome read. For some reason, I could not hold my sweet tear. Appreciate it Joseph. I have just left a comment on the article page (Name: Mahmood)

syedmahm
December 13, 2010, 10:36 AM

A timely chokka (SIX).

BD_Ashraful
October 21, 2011, 05:31 PM
If anyone has any ideas for other articles, feel free to post them here or send me a PM.

I finish exams in 3 weeks and after that I'll be writing more, so any suggestions feel free to post them.

Carn the Tigers!

Carn the Tigers.

NoName
October 21, 2011, 05:57 PM
Never had the privilege of attending a BD game, but the part where you said people screaming "chagol er bacha' pretty much summed up what to expect when there is a chronic BD batting collapse LOL. Great article mate.

zainab
October 23, 2011, 05:35 PM
I just saw an ad on my cricket channel that the Hong Kong sixes will be played in HK from the 28th to 30th Oct. Does anyone know if BD is sending a team? I would think that this is cricket BD style.

Murad
October 23, 2011, 06:01 PM
I just saw an ad on my cricket channel that the Hong Kong sixes will be played in HK from the 28th to 30th Oct. Does anyone know if BD is sending a team? I would think that this is cricket BD style.

Yes. They are sending a team this time.

Zeeshan
October 23, 2011, 06:31 PM
If anyone has any ideas for other articles, feel free to post them here or send me a PM.

I finish exams in 3 weeks and after that I'll be writing more, so any suggestions feel free to post them.

Carn the Tigers!

Carn the Tigers.

May be another one expanding this theme? :)

I had the honour of Mohammed Ashraful visiting my house in Bangladesh in 2004 when I was visiting Dhaka on my annual holidays. Nowadays, Ashraful is known more for his inconsistency but during 2005 he was on song and one of the most damaging batsman in the world. At the time, it was just after he scored a match winning knock against Australia which gave Bangladesh their maiden win over the Aussies. So it was a real honour to have him at my house. He was a top bloke and was really friendly. He even invited me to his house for Korbani EID, one of the most important Muslim celebrations, but I was heading back to Australia the next day, so I had to decline

zainab
October 24, 2011, 08:46 PM
Yes. They are sending a team this time.

Really! Have not read any mention of it by BanglaCricket Forum.

Murad
October 24, 2011, 09:24 PM
Really! Have not read any mention of it by BanglaCricket Forum.

I think we talked about it in some thread.

Here is the team

Alauddin Babu
Nazmul Hossain
Enamul Haque
Shabbir Rahman
Tapash Baisya
Rony Talakdar
Mosharraf Hossain
http://www.cricket.com.hk/db/ARCHIVE/2011-12/OTHERS/HKG_LOCAL/HKSIXES2011-TEAMS.html

I think BCB forgot about this tournament. Alauddin Babu is selected for the A-team tour but they haven't name a replacement for him.

zainab
October 25, 2011, 05:36 AM
I think we talked about it in some thread.

Here is the team

Alauddin Babu
Nazmul Hossain
Enamul Haque
Shabbir Rahman
Tapash Baisya
Rony Talakdar
Mosharraf Hossain
http://www.cricket.com.hk/db/ARCHIVE/2011-12/OTHERS/HKG_LOCAL/HKSIXES2011-TEAMS.html

I think BCB forgot about this tournament. Alauddin Babu is selected for the A-team tour but they haven't name a replacement for him.

Thanks for the info, my cricket channel is showing the series/

riankhan
October 25, 2011, 05:47 AM
Thanks for the info, my cricket channel is showing the series/

ea... ekta link...

lamisa
October 26, 2011, 10:19 AM
once again! we throw iit patkel at our guest!

Zeeshan
May 15, 2012, 10:26 PM
Now a FP article.

Cricket in the Subcontinent: Reflections of an Aussie in the crowd at Sher-e-Bangla Stadium, Dhaka, Bangladesh

Joseph Hess

From anecdotes of inviting Ashraful to his house to brass band performance in a carnival-like atmosphere; from fond memories of "Doura Bagh Ailo" to relishing on a chicken sandwich meal and "igloo" ice cream during the lunch break at the clubhouse, Joe Hess gives a us a first-hand experience of watching a Zimbabwe match live and what it means to be a passionate Bangladesh fan who could watch the team play for days without getting bored.

http://banglacricket.com/html/images/read_art.gif Read article » (http://banglacricket.com/html/features/article.php?item=568)

tiger_army
May 16, 2012, 02:19 AM
nice read..but after 2 years..??

Maysun
May 16, 2012, 02:57 AM
Good read!

BD_Ashraful
October 10, 2013, 09:28 AM
Wow. Its been a while.

The original site (The Big Tip) went bankrupt and I lost most of my articles.

Much appreciated for posting up the article. Can't wait to watch another game in Bangladesh, its been too long.