PDA

View Full Version : The Battle for No. 3 Position Begins:

Shamim Mia
December 11, 2010, 08:55 AM
Mohammad Junaid Siddique has been struggling at No. 3 battling line up for a while, How does he survive being in the team, while others are chasing the No. 3 batting line up spot. The answer is very clear, some argue that he allows other batsmen to score runs, while he occupies the crease. Other’s look at the No. 3 line history of Bangladesh Cricket. While I would say, No.3 position is the hardest to bat in the cricket world. Big names also struggle at No. 3, is it because there is more pressure batting at No. 3?

Nadim
December 11, 2010, 09:00 AM
Jahirul Islam....

Night_wolf
December 11, 2010, 09:02 AM
i say Musfiquer Rahim..he is a innings builder..dont have much opportunities at the top..lets try him out...but since wc is so close we better stick with Zunaid

Shamim Mia
December 11, 2010, 09:08 AM
i say Musfiquer Rahim..he is a innings builder..dont have much opportunities at the top..lets try him out...but since wc is so closed we better stick with Zunaid

yeah, but would you not have someone who is experienced and can bat well?

firstlane
December 11, 2010, 09:11 AM
This is a very important position. A reliable batsman is needed for that position. At the moment I dont see any. So I would say go with the batsman who will be in form immediately before a series/tournament.

Night_wolf
December 11, 2010, 09:17 AM
yeah, but would you not have someone who is experienced and can bat well?

if u r talking about musfik: well the guy is pretty much experienced and we have seen what he can do in the top order..remember the 98 vs zim and 50+ vs india at the wc..he was slow in those matches but situation didn't want fast innings from him in those matches..he can play fast if match situation wants..so i am in favor of trying him out and making him our permanent #3 for the odi

in zunaid's case..he has been batting in #3 for bd for some time now..i dont want any experiment for the wc,let zunaid bat in #3 and pray he does well..

although experiments sometimes pays off!!...remember tamim in 07 wc:smug:

this time if jahurul is selected to play in #3 he may come up with a few surprises!..but thats a if and but situation:)

al-Sagar
December 11, 2010, 09:19 AM
my vote goes for mofees .... ....

Haru-party
December 11, 2010, 10:07 AM
jahurul...i tell u ppl...hes the man

wiseshah
December 11, 2010, 10:29 AM
jahurul all the way

shakibrulz
December 11, 2010, 10:35 AM
For me - M'ullah/Jahurul Islam. If Riyad is in the team, he should bat at No. 3.

lamisa
December 11, 2010, 11:01 AM
no.3 juaed.that's because it's such a crucial position that i dont want to see any experiment being done with it now.moreover,he's not doing too bad so...

Haru-party
December 11, 2010, 11:15 AM
no.3 juaed.that's because it's such a crucial position that i dont want to see any experiment being done with it now.moreover,he's not doing too bad so...

hmm one can understand ...zunaed is a tall, handsome, goodlooking guy :shh:

Tiger444
December 11, 2010, 11:21 AM
Zunaed gets my vote. I agree his ODI average isn't very good but this year he has done a lot better. An average of a 34 with a SR of an 81 with 1 century and 3 half centuries. I gotta say that is some pretty solid stats for 1 year. SN could be an option but he hasn't played a lot of international cricket recently so it would be risky to put him in when the WC is right around the corner. Jahurul is a good batsman as well but doesn't have much experience so it would be very risky as well to put him in such a big tournament. I say keep it the way it is right now.

harrypotte
December 11, 2010, 11:30 AM
why junaid still even in the team??? (i know,i know he is fav of siddons,but still...)its time for Jahurul...it seems to me he could be the no 3 we are searching for...

bd fan
December 11, 2010, 12:02 PM
Zunaed gets my vote. I agree his ODI average isn't very good but this year he has done a lot better. An average of a 34 with a SR of an 81 with 1 century and 3 half centuries. I gotta say that is some pretty solid stats for 1 year. SN could be an option but he hasn't played a lot of international cricket recently so it would be risky to put him in when the WC is right around the corner. Jahurul is a good batsman as well but doesn't have much experience so it would be very risky as well to put him in such a big tournament. I say keep it the way it is right now.

exactly.... He has improved so much this year

MohammedC
December 11, 2010, 12:09 PM
For me - M'ullah/Jahurul Islam. If Riyad is in the team, he should bat at No. 3.

Riyad is much better batsman than the way he has been playing lately. I say he should ditch his bowling and solely concentrate on his batting. Omi also is very good option, should be given a chance.

Rabz
December 11, 2010, 12:40 PM
Yes yes yes.
I'm the ONLY one who voted for Ash.

Night_wolf
December 11, 2010, 12:44 PM
Yes yes yes.
I'm the ONLY one who voted for Ash.

congrats!...bcb says ur dream will come true...rats!

Rabz
December 11, 2010, 01:10 PM
^^ Amar vote ami dibo, jake khushi take dibo. :P

Tigers_eye
December 11, 2010, 02:27 PM
With two lefties openning, We need a righty. Jaharul it is with 31 average. SN's 33 average is boosted by Minnow stats.

Shaan
December 11, 2010, 02:34 PM
Rahim or Jahurul for me..

kazis2007
December 11, 2010, 05:48 PM
Shahriar nafees best for bd wkt

Rifat
December 11, 2010, 06:55 PM
Nafees is the Ideal choice for me, IF he can handle the likes of Stuart Broad. Dale Steyn in the World Cup :flag:

Shehwar
December 11, 2010, 07:36 PM
Who will be? Ans:Junaid Siddique

Who should be? Ans: Shahriar Nafees

FagunerAgun
December 11, 2010, 08:32 PM
Thanks Shamim Mia..
It should be for Jahirul.

firstlane
December 11, 2010, 10:16 PM
I have a feeling Jahirul wont be in WC team. he has always been overlooked. We know he can hit the ball. we could at least groom him for batting power play.

shakibrulz
December 12, 2010, 04:27 AM
So junaid pretty much sealed that spot, good signs.

max410
December 12, 2010, 06:16 AM
junaid lack in good technique and his footwork is not that great . he sometimes tosses the ball in the air to get caught , he is also good at keeping his wicket and slow player much needed sometimes to build innings. SHahriar nafees can play good ground shots but is an aggressive style batsmen, he lacks in patience sometimes may not be useful for building innings and long partnership.
AS N FOOL sorry no WAY!!!, Mahmudullah has been out of form always , JAHURUL is better option as keeper batsmen MUSHY is very inconsistent and HE MISSED MANY Catches as a keeper during last 2 -3 series also stumping misses.he can replace mushy with jahurul at number 3 and use another allrounder to fill the gap.

shakibrulz
December 12, 2010, 06:54 AM
The thing I like about Zunaid is he can play sensibly according to the situation when in form. Of course he needs to keep the ball down instead of chipping it in the air, but other than that he's ok. Nothing terrible about his technique, footwork is alright IMO, and importance of footwork is often overstated, specially in subcontinent conditions.

roman
December 12, 2010, 11:31 AM
^^ Amar vote ami dibo, jake khushi take dibo. :P

Shei din ki aar ase? din bodlaya gese mia vai, ekhon noya dialogue "amar vote ami dibo dekhe shune bujhe dibo" :)

simon
December 12, 2010, 12:38 PM
Junaid looks ok to me,no need to exprmnt more.
n°4 is an importnt one,I guess Mushy or Ryad would be perfect as these 2 need time to play good innings and are technically very good.

Catskills
December 12, 2010, 12:56 PM
Zunaid Siddiqui. I think he plays sensibly.

Shamim Mia
December 12, 2010, 03:28 PM
With two lefties openning, We need a righty. Jaharul it is with 31 average. SN's 33 average is boosted by Minnow stats.

but guys, you need to understand juhurul only played 6 games!

aniksh1
December 12, 2010, 03:30 PM
I think Siddique is fine...he is a confident batman...

He is improving right now...and very soon he can be a very reliable batman for us...he can hit out as well as take singles...

Shamim Mia
December 12, 2010, 03:37 PM
I think Siddique is fine...he is a confident batman...

He is improving right now...and very soon he can be a very reliable batman for us...he can hit out as well as take singles...

even if he plays with big teams such as India or south africa?

we know that nafees can play with any team, also we know tamim and shakib can play,

but siddique when it come to big team can he perform?

Night_wolf
December 12, 2010, 11:32 PM
even if he plays with big teams such as India or south africa?

we know that nafees can play with any team, also we know tamim and shakib can play,

but siddique when it come to big team can he perform?

vai nafees agv 15 vs big teams in bd..and that too with the 73 he scored vs kiwies..if we take the 73 out he avg 11..just check at cricinfo statguru

Rabz
December 13, 2010, 01:51 AM
Shei din ki aar ase? din bodlaya gese mia vai, ekhon noya dialogue "amar vote ami dibo dekhe shune bujhe dibo" :)
:D:D
:big_hug:

jisaan
December 13, 2010, 02:36 AM
It should be either SN or Jahurul!
junaid's struggle & those mid-wicket dismissals are hard to tolerate.
Jahurul is much more compact & has a good mix of defense & aggression.

But SN gets my vote because -
- he is more adept in attack & good in defense
- he can take over the role of Tamim if he falls early
- he has got the experience & taste of success at the highest level

Junaid can be pushed down to No.4 where he would compete with Jahurul/Rakibul to get the nod.

BANFAN
December 13, 2010, 02:44 AM
It should be either SN or Jahurul!
junaid's struggle & those mid-wicket dismissals are hard to tolerate.
Jahurul is much more compact & has a good mix of defense & aggression.

But SN gets my vote because -
- he is more adept in attack & good in defense
- he can take over the role of Tamim if he falls early
- he has got the experience & taste of success at the highest level

Junaid can be pushed down to No.4 where he would compete with Jahurul/Rakibul to get the nod.

Makes sense for me. SN should get the chance before Junaid @ # 3

Shamim Mia
December 13, 2010, 11:07 AM
vai nafees agv 15 vs big teams in bd..and that too with the 73 he scored vs kiwies..if we take the 73 out he avg 11..just check at cricinfo statguru

so have you got the stats for junaed then?

rinathq
December 13, 2010, 03:33 PM
Shahriar Nafees................ we need an experienced person at number 3. Junaid is good but he is slow and lacks some technique....... If Nafees can be more consistent, he is a perfect option.
Also the fact that he is an independent cricketer....... Both Junaid and Imrul rely on Tamim to score, and if he gets out early, than Junaid cant handle the pressure.......

Night_wolf
December 13, 2010, 09:26 PM
so have you got the stats for junaed then?

yes surprisingly zunaid avg 30 vs big teams in bd which is better then his overall

shuziburo
December 13, 2010, 09:51 PM
Mohammad Junaid Siddique has been struggling at No. 3 battling line up for a while, How does he survive being in the team, while others are chasing the No. 3 batting line up spot. The answer is very clear, some argue that he allows other batsmen to score runs, while he occupies the crease. Other’s look at the No. 3 line history of Bangladesh Cricket. While I would say, No.3 position is the hardest to bat in the cricket world. Big names also struggle at No. 3, is it because there is more pressure batting at No. 3?

Many premier batsmen were No. 3. There was a diminutive fellow by the name Don who batted at No. 3. Donald George Bradman. He was so horrible that he scored a duck in his last inning. This dropped his batting average from 101.39 to all the way down to 99.94!

shuziburo
December 13, 2010, 09:53 PM
hmm one can understand ...zunaed is a tall, handsome, goodlooking guy :shh:

2 out of 3. I wouldn't call him tall.

shuziburo
December 13, 2010, 09:57 PM
My choice is Jahurul, lack of experience and all. I would not be opposed to keeping Junaid, though.

Tiger444
December 13, 2010, 11:00 PM
yes surprisingly zunaid avg 30 vs big teams in bd which is better then his overall

I don't understand where you got that stat from bro? When I went to statsguru it says that Zunaed has an avg of a 17.81 with a SR of a 56 against the big teams at home grounds. So both SN and Big Z don't have good records at home against the good teams. I like both batsmen. I gotta admit I was a critic of SN before but after the NZ series I see that the guy is a pretty good batsman. He can play nice looking shots but his problem is his really poor technique which restricts him. Zunaed's a good batsman as well and has improved a lot this year. He's played a lot more international cricket compared to SN in the past few years which is another reason why Zunaed should be our #3. On top of that his stats have been strong this year so he should be able to retain his spot.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=2;filter=advanced;ground=1844;gro und=1925;ground=1930;ground=1931;ground=2025;groun d=475;ground=476;host=25;opposition=1;opposition=2 ;opposition=3;opposition=4;opposition=5;opposition =6;opposition=7;opposition=8;orderby=runs;team=25; template=results;type=batting

Ajfar
December 13, 2010, 11:59 PM
2 out of 3. I wouldn't call him tall.

comparing the some of the other players in the team he is quite tall.

Jadukor
December 14, 2010, 12:46 AM
Junaid has been extremely lucky in this series... he was dropped in the second game on naught... he was dropped again in the final game... against a good side he wouldnt have survived those chances he gave.. and would have ended up with a pretty poor string of scores... Siddons must take these things into consideration before settling with Junaid... and also keep an eye on his strike rate... It seems like everyone in the top 4 of our batting order would have to feed off Tamim's strike rate in order to maintain the run rate... these are not good signs at all....

Shamim Mia
December 14, 2010, 04:39 AM
Shariar Nafees Looks really good, Before the ICL some time ego, I saw him play, he was superb for Bangladesh. There Must be a Reason why he averages 33.49 In ODI/ he is second best in average after Shakib ul Hasan, Now that tells you something!

Shaan
December 14, 2010, 05:15 AM
Junaid has been extremely lucky in this series... he was dropped in the second game on naught... he was dropped again in the final game... against a good side he wouldnt have survived those chances he gave.. and would have ended up with a pretty poor string of scores... Siddons must take these things into consideration before settling with Junaid... and also keep an eye on his strike rate... It seems like everyone in the top 4 of our batting order would have to feed off Tamim's strike rate in order to maintain the run rate... these are not good signs at all....
To me when I see Junaed batting he seems like holding the heaviest bat in the planet then can't move the bat when ball reach to him, it feels like he just can't bring the bat straight because of extra burden of the weight of the bat, he somehow then manage one or two shots at best are flicking over the leg or pulling to square leg.. he just hold the bat like he can't offer anymore shots out of his last effort :(

I can't understand can't Siddon see the way Junaed hold the face of the bat towards legside in readymade fashion which is very difficult to adjust at this level of cricket when ball come fast and moves..!! His most of the dissmissals are results of pull shots which tells a lot..

Jadukor
December 14, 2010, 05:31 AM
Shariar Nafees Looks really good, Before the ICL some time ego, I saw him play, he was superb for Bangladesh. There Must be a Reason why he averages 33.49 In ODI/ he is second best in average after Shakib ul Hasan, Now that tells you something!

actually it gives you a wrong picture because his average is inflated by his bradmanesque performances against zimbabwe... he has not done anything significant against the stronger teams...

Jadukor
December 14, 2010, 06:07 AM
To me when I see Junaed batting he seems like holding the heaviest bat in the planet then can't move the bat when ball reach to him, it feels like he just can't bring the bat straight because of extra burden of the weight of the bat, he somehow then manage one or two shots at best are flicking over the leg or pulling to square leg.. he just hold the bat like he can't offer anymore shots out of his last effort :(

I can't understand can't Siddon see the way Junaed hold the face of the bat towards legside in readymade fashion which is very difficult to adjust at this level of cricket when ball come fast and moves..!! His most of the dissmissals are results of pull shots which tells a lot..

good observations... but our main headache is that who can be better than Junaid?

Ashraful?... no way... he still hasn't figured out which shot is for which ball... He looks as confused as afridi... so my solution is get rid of all the confusion in his mind by bringing him late down the order when the only mission is to slog...

Johurul?... could be but hasn't been tested enough at that position... it will be a gamble...

Shahriar Nafees?.. His worldcup performance is not good... looks clueless against quality pace bowling... He will probably play a risky innings..with a lot of plays and misses...and outside edges... on his day he might score a brisk fifty...on other occasion he will fall cheaply. However he always looks comfortable against spin..so we can try him lower down the order.

If it was upto me pick a number 3... I would try to pick a player who is good against pace... and also can rotate the strike... and to me the two players are Shakib and Mushfiq... Shakib is the heart of the batting...so we cant risk him against the new ball...which means the other alternative has to be Mushfiq. In the worldcup i would also want my best batters early..so that they get to face as many balls as possible... so i would bring Shakib at no 4

my order hence would look like
1. Tamim
2. Kayes
3. Mushfiq
4. Shakib
5. Roquibul
6. Nafees/Johurul
7. Ashraful (slogger 1/part time bowler)
8. Mash (slogger 2)
9. Razzaq
10. Shafiul
11. Shubho

Night_wolf
December 14, 2010, 07:06 AM
I don't understand where you got that stat from bro? When I went to statsguru it says that Zunaed has an avg of a 17.81 with a SR of a 56 against the big teams at home grounds. So both SN and Big Z don't have good records at home against the good teams. I like both batsmen. I gotta admit I was a critic of SN before but after the NZ series I see that the guy is a pretty good batsman. He can play nice looking shots but his problem is his really poor technique which restricts him. Zunaed's a good batsman as well and has improved a lot this year. He's played a lot more international cricket compared to SN in the past few years which is another reason why Zunaed should be our #3. On top of that his stats have been strong this year so he should be able to retain his spot.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/stats/index.html?class=2;filter=advanced;ground=1844;gro und=1925;ground=1930;ground=1931;ground=2025;groun d=475;ground=476;host=25;opposition=1;opposition=2 ;opposition=3;opposition=4;opposition=5;opposition =6;opposition=7;opposition=8;orderby=runs;team=25; template=results;type=batting

sorry i checked that stat some time ago..i forgot..maybe my stat was only for 2010..

edit:yap u r right..i mixed him up with some other stat:-p

Night_wolf
December 14, 2010, 07:22 AM
good observations... but our main headache is that who can be better than Junaid?

Ashraful?... no way... he still hasn't figured out which shot is for which ball... He looks as confused as afridi... so my solution is get rid of all the confusion in his mind by bringing him late down the order when the only mission is to slog...

Johurul?... could be but hasn't been tested enough at that position... it will be a gamble...

Shahriar Nafees?.. His worldcup performance is not good... looks clueless against quality pace bowling... He will probably play a risky innings..with a lot of plays and misses...and outside edges... on his day he might score a brisk fifty...on other occasion he will fall cheaply. However he always looks comfortable against spin..so we can try him lower down the order.

If it was upto me pick a number 3... I would try to pick a player who is good against pace... and also can rotate the strike... and to me the two players are Shakib and Mushfiq... Shakib is the heart of the batting...so we cant risk him against the new ball...which means the other alternative has to be Mushfiq. In the worldcup i would also want my best batters early..so that they get to face as many balls as possible... so i would bring Shakib at no 4

my order hence would look like
1. Tamim
2. Kayes
3. Mushfiq
4. Shakib
5. Roquibul
6. Nafees/Johurul
7. Ashraful (slogger 1/part time bowler)
8. Mash (slogger 2)
9. Razzaq
10. Shafiul
11. Shubho

totaly agree with u about musfik..he is an innings builder not a slogger..he is being wasted at #6 and we have seen in the past that musfik can be our long term solution for #3..he has shown that he can bat at the top order..but maybe not for the WC..but for future musfik is my #3

but cant agree on ash bro..i was one of the many people who wanted ash at 7..but after seeing him in the zim 1st odi i have lost my patience of him..he is a total confused player right now and he makes the ream confused with him..not only he gets out easily playing extravagant strokes but also gets other run out..atm i dont want him anywhere near BD team..not even as the 12th man...Ash was and may be still is a asset for us..but not atm..he needs a LONG break from BD team to get his act right and may be in the future come back more matured..i dont know if its possible but i am praying

lamisa
December 14, 2010, 09:55 AM
jadukor bhai,i dont agree with ur lineup.rokibul should be at 4 and shakib at 5.he can speed up things near the end.and y don't u have naeem or riyad in ur lineup?i think they should be there because of their bowling.i know it's not great but they are good at keeping it tight and since the WC is in home conditions,we should definitely keep as many spinners in the team as possible.

lamisa
December 14, 2010, 10:01 AM
i always wanted to see jahurul in the top order but the stupid managemnet and selectors screwed it! :haipull: he's sooo good,plays according to the situation most importantly,but i don't think i want to see him in the wc when he has had such limited experience at the top level.it's all bcb's fault,if he had played against nz and zim,he would have done great things for us in the wc,i am sure!

Tiger444
December 14, 2010, 10:01 AM
sorry i checked that stat some time ago..i forgot..maybe my stat was only for 2010..

edit:yap u r right..i mixed him up with some other stat:-p

It's ok bro no worries :)

Jadukor
December 14, 2010, 10:31 AM
jadukor bhai,i dont agree with ur lineup.rokibul should be at 4 and shakib at 5.he can speed up things near the end.and y don't u have naeem or riyad in ur lineup?i think they should be there because of their bowling.i know it's not great but they are good at keeping it tight and since the WC is in home conditions,we should definitely keep as many spinners in the team as possible.

I know Shakib can speed things up near the end... and he has been brilliant at that no 5 position in the past two series... however I also think with Junaid and Rockibul batting at 3 and 4 we might waste a lot of overs because both of them are slow... against bigger teams we can't fall behind in terms of runrate early in our innings and expect Shakib to simply come in and hit boundaries... this is why i think Shakib should come in at 4 and be the one setting the platform since he gets off the block quicker than the others and strikes it at 80-90%... rather than the 50-60% strike rate we are used to seeing from Rock and Junaid... Bottom line is that I want my best batsman in the middle order to bat as many overs as possible.... If Shakib bats 30 overs... we will get a high score on most occasions

about Mahmudullah and Naeem, I dont quite see them getting picked on either batting or bowling alone. They sneak in because none of our top order bowls which means that without them we only have 5 bowlers and no flexibility. Even though Naeem keeps it tight but does he get breakthroughs? Does he have the quality to keep it tight against Dhony and co..or Kalis Amla and co..? I don't think so because in terms of quality and variation he is more or less a part timer as opposed to a specialist bowler...

against bigger teams the likely scenario is that they will reach about 190 in 45 overs on our pitches... and then their hitters are going to take advantage of the power-plays and smash a lot of runs pushing the score upto...240+... Yuvraj did that against us once after we had bowled really well majority of the overs... So when it comes our turn to chase and we need 7-8 runs per over... can either Mahmudullah or Naeem do it?... did u see how Naeem played against Afghanistan?...or against zimbos?...he can't hit even during powerplays... so whats the point of picking them when they are nothing more than ordinary on either batting or bowling fronts?

Night_wolf
December 14, 2010, 11:06 AM
^naeem is one of the better fielder in our team thats his plus point..and he is more than a handy bolwer..he have picked crucial wickets vs big teams in the past..the only thing he'll have to sort out is his batting..he isn't a lower order batsman thats y he is struggling..but he'll have to learn as good players do..cos #7 is the only place atm we can feet him in