PDA

View Full Version : Shakib does the teapot, Riyad-Rumman fight!

Isam
December 24, 2010, 01:09 PM
Sporadic battles erupted in the Premier Cricket League yesterday, leaving cricket in the lurch.

Two players were suspended for a game each and Shakib Al Hasan was handed a fine as the two incidents in BKSP and Bogra also underlined the need for stronger umpiring in domestic cricket.

Though Mohammedan Sporting Club beat Surjo Tarun by three wickets, thanks to a fine half-century from the defending champions' new Pakistani recruit Mohammad Yousuf, and Abahani crushed Gazi Tank by seven wickets in a clinical display, cricket became secondary during the latter part of the day.

It was found out that none of the umpires' reports at the end of the two matches were an accurate representation of what actually happened. One CCDM (Cricket Committee of Dhaka Metropolis) official, requesting anonymity, said that the reports clearly indicated the weaknesses of the umpires assigned to domestic matches. The umpiring is not only poor but many also lack the courage to take important decisions. “It just shows the umpires' limitations. They do not want to point fingers at the bigger teams,” said the official. “If the umpires gave a true account of what happened, the punishments would have been appropriate,” he added.

At the Shaheed Chandu Stadium in Bogra, Gazi Tank's Sabbir Rahman Rumman and Riyad were suspended for a match each after they squared off mid-pitch following Rumman's sledging of Abahani's Australian import Lee Carseldine. In almost the same time in Savar, Mohammedan skipper Shakib stood his ground for several minutes after being given out. He questioned the umpire Mizanur Rahman Milon's decision before trudging off as his teammates abused the umpires.

The left-hander's attempted sweep was adjudged caught-behind off Sohrawardi Shuvo in the 19th over. The country's premier all-rounder stood his ground in a huff for close to five minutes and went up to the umpire to question the decision. Some Mohammedan players vented their frustration by abusing the umpire in question. “He [Shakib Al Hasan] was not satisfied. He stood down for more than the allowable time. It was not expected from the captain of the team,” said match referee Roquibul Hassan.

“He went to the umpire and said that it struck his hand, there was no abusive language from Shakib. I called up Tamim [Iqbal] as witness to Shakib as the vice-captain is usually asked to do that when the captain is involved,” added the former national captain.

In the Bogra incident, a melee broke out between the batsmen and some of the fielders after Rumman's verbal attack on Carseldine, according to those watching the match. Riyad retaliated and at the same time, Gazi Tank captain Naeem Islam and Nasir Hossain got involved.

“Shakib was fined Tk 10,000 while in Bogra, Riyad and Rumman were both suspended for one match each. Naeem and Nasir were also fined Tk 5,000 and Tk 3,000 each,” informed CCDM coordinator Qazi Aynul Islam.

MSC-SURJO TORUN
The Shakib incident apart, it was a tight game after Surjo Torun made a fighting 245-7 from their 50 overs. Hamidul Islam struck four boundaries and three sixes in his 71 and Junaed Siddiqui made 69. Dhiman Ghosh too made sure of a stiff Mohammedan chase with his 19-ball 39 that included four sixes.

Tamim Iqbal again made a good start but his 55-ball 66 ended in the 18th over. After Shakib's controversial dismissal, Faisal Hossain (54) and Yousuf added 104 for the fifth wicket, steering the Motijheel outfit to a second win

GAZI-ABAHANI
Before being suspended, Riyad took three wickets as Abahani skittled out Gazi Tank for only 131 runs in 39.1 overs. Pacemen Alauddin Babu and Abul Hasan also took two wickets each.

Later, Riyad and Carseldine stuck together till the end through their unbroken 110-run stand as Abahani completed their third win in a row, while Gazi suffered their second consecutive defeat.

BRIEF SCORES
SURJO TORUN: 245-7 in 50 overs (Hamidul 71, Junaed 69; Shakib 2-33).

MSC: 246-7 in 49.1 overs (Tamim 66, Yousuf 58 not out; Razzak 2-44).

Result: MSC won by 3 wickets.

GAZI TANK: 131 all out in 39.1 overs (Paranavitana 23, Riyad 3-24).

ABAHANI: 132-3 in 29.3 overs (Riyad 57 not out, Carseldine 51 not out).

Result: Abahani won by 7 wickets.

Habib
December 24, 2010, 01:36 PM
Last thing we need is more injury caused by fighting.

Nadim
December 24, 2010, 01:44 PM
Maje Maje maramari kora bhalo. Sahos baree:-p

Tiger444
December 24, 2010, 02:04 PM
That's just poor stuff from all those involved in the fight. Just a shame. Riyad and naeem especially should not be fighting. Their both in the national team and should be role models for the young people of BD. I had really high hopes for shabbir but this incident just shows he's still an immature kid who needs to grow up before thinking about the national team. Same goes to nasir as well. True these things happen in sports as emotions run high but hopefully they never repeat this kind of behavior. These players are better then that.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

roman
December 24, 2010, 02:07 PM
Rumman dekhi Sledge kore. Beta ekta Bagher Baccha :-D

Haru-party
December 24, 2010, 02:25 PM

exactly...eirokom player dorkar

simon
December 24, 2010, 02:27 PM
maney ki Ryad ar Nayeem ki hatahati korse naki,Ryad is not that type I thght.
a bit of sledging is ok but don't want any verbal abuse than hatahati.:o

Nadim
December 24, 2010, 02:43 PM
National cricketer Mahmudullah was handed a one-match ban and Sakib al Hasan was fined Tk 10,000 for breaching the code of conduct during their respective Dhaka Premier League matches on Friday.
Abahani all-rounder Mahmudullah was suspended after his verbal exchange with Gazi Tanks fielder Sabbir Rahman, who also was handed a one-match ban by the match referee at Bogra.
Gazi Tanks skipper Naeem Islam and cricketer Nasir Hossain were fined Tk 5,000, and Tk 3,000 respectively for their involvement in the squabble. Naeem claimed Mahmudullah got serious when Sabbir and Nasir were having a friendly chat with him.
At the Bangladesh Krira Shikha Protishthan ground, home boy and Mohammedan captain Sakib could not control his frustration and clearly showed dissent to umpire’s decision when he was given caught behind.
He stayed for three minutes at the crease which prompted the match referee, Roquibul Hassan, to take punitive action against the most-recent national captain.
‘Sakib told me that he had got some previous decisions against him in the previous matches and thus could not control his frustration. However, this cannot be accepted as an excuse from a player of his stature,’ Roquibul told New Age.
‘I told team he is the captain of the side and a role model for many cricketers. He should lead by example. No one is bigger than the game. I had the option to fine him Tk 5,000. But since he is a top cricketer I doubled the fine,’ he said.

http://www.newagebd.com/2010/dec/25/spt.html

billah
December 24, 2010, 03:31 PM
I want MSC team jersey as our WC ODI uniform. Fantastic color combination and scheme.

rashed411
December 24, 2010, 04:11 PM

i think they were making fun of his slow batting... yes truth hurts, that's why he got serious.

dolcevita
December 24, 2010, 05:04 PM
Wow Tamim scores 66 from only 38 deliveries ,
can't wait to see him in action against Zaheer khan
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

shuziburo
December 24, 2010, 05:05 PM
Umpiring standard in BD has to be improved. Lack of confidence is an issue. We have seen it many times in BD umpires favoring BD opponents. If they sucked, I would rather that they are more like Shakur Rana.:-D

22Yards
December 24, 2010, 05:06 PM
Wow Tamim scores 66 from only 38 deliveries ,
can't wait to see him in action against Zaheer khan

55 ball 66

shuziburo
December 24, 2010, 05:25 PM
55 ball 66

That is slow! An SR of only 120.

simon
December 24, 2010, 05:27 PM
by hitting 4 sixes and five fours it's more likely to be a 38 ball 66.

dolcevita
December 24, 2010, 05:32 PM
55 ball 66

Newagebd.com et link to lekha : brilliant 66 from 38 delivery .
Are daily star e lekha 66 from 55

simon
December 24, 2010, 05:51 PM
^^ar Prothomalo te mention kore nai koto ball khelchey..
http://www.prothom-alo.com/detail/date/2010-12-25/news/118248

shuziburo
December 24, 2010, 05:54 PM
Newagebd.com et link to lekha : brilliant 66 from 38 delivery .
Are daily star e lekha 66 from 55

If he clicks against India and scores a 100, we'll be in a pretty good shape, I believe.

cricket_pagol
December 24, 2010, 06:40 PM
Bad day for bangladesh cricket. Our national cricketers losing their cool is not acceptable.

I think this is where we are going to miss the experience and seniority of Mashrafee, he can have a calming influence on the team, just like Bashar did during his era.

simon
December 24, 2010, 06:47 PM
^^I think to beat Ind it's not quite the runs but It's more abt the bowling,their bttng is too good,last time we scored 295 vs Ind but they still managed to win.:(
Another example is the 4th ODI btwn NZ and Ind where Ind chased down 315 odd runs & won it.
tht's why I'm more worried abt Mash's recovery,Mash as a bowler against Ind is as good as Tamim as a btsmn against Ind.

Tigers_eye
December 24, 2010, 08:00 PM
Shabbir Riyad'er jaiga dokhol korbey in near future.

Holden
December 24, 2010, 08:29 PM
Ha ha, I would love to have seen some footage of the Sabbir and Riyad confrontation. Anyone else liking the fact that these youngsters, Sabbir and Nasir are showing some aggression. As long as it doesn't go too far I have no problem with it. It shows these guys are no "sissies". I hated the way Zunaid and Riyad were so passive when they were getting cursed by Swan and Zaheer Khan, they just stood there and took it as if they were somehow inferior and that was their place.
As long as they leave it at the domestic scene and don't bring it back up with them to the national setup there should be no problems. I remember Glenn Mcgrath and Matthew Hayden sledging and cursing each other at a domestic game but having no problems when they were in the national team. Also it can't be just coincidence that our best players are the ones who sometimes show some aggression: Shakib, Tamim, Rubel and Shafiul.

LateCut
December 24, 2010, 09:04 PM
Shakib got off lightly. Match suspensioon ia warranted. Disgusting. He has a mean strea in him. It showed following thew first ZM ODI. He needs to tamper his temper.

kalpurush
December 24, 2010, 09:32 PM
Shakib got off lightly. Match suspensioon ia warranted. Disgusting. He has a mean strea in him. It showed following thew first ZM ODI. He needs to tamper his temper.

Well, seeing the standard of our umpires, I wonder if I could hold myself too!!!

BCB should spend more money to train and produce better umpires, otherwise it will only benifit Bangladesh cricket to go down further (for the purpose Lota was assigned for!?).

AsifTheManRahman
December 24, 2010, 10:08 PM
So they got into a little tussle, big deal. Boys will fight, it happens everywhere. At least they take club cricket seriously enough to get into trouble.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

shakibrulz
December 24, 2010, 10:42 PM
Uh :-|

firstlane
December 24, 2010, 11:19 PM
Umpires shouldn't be blamed. They are literally powerless against the big teams. If they report honestly they lose their jobs.

wiseshah
December 25, 2010, 12:05 AM
ghazi tank is faltu. star studded team and see their scoreboard, shameful stuff

sabbir rahman is a character---batting, bowling , fielding and now sledging capability--all the aggression he has. cant wait to see him in the national team

fishyguy
December 25, 2010, 02:50 AM
I'm happy Mullah defend his foreign team mate.

dolcevita
December 25, 2010, 03:27 AM
Mullah is scared about his future...

Rabz
December 25, 2010, 04:38 AM
What ATMR says on post # 25.
Now go back and have a read again.

Nocturnal
December 25, 2010, 04:56 AM
man I miss those days .... back in the days I've seen quite a few maramari/jogra during DPL mathces ... those were the golden days of DPL ... Nannu namlei sobai mile "beiman beiman" bola when he dodged one club over another overnight .... Akram & Bulbul's verbal fight etc!

Baundule
December 25, 2010, 05:24 AM
Assumed poor umpiring can not be a reason of players not respecting the decision. We have seen the quality of international umpires as well. If Asoka is acceptable to the ICC, not having an inform Steve Bucknor in our domestic circuit can not justify Shakib's not respecting the decision or Riyadh-Naeem.Shabbir's fight. This is quite unacceptable.

ahms
December 25, 2010, 06:00 AM

It is shame that Shakib has to involve in such situation. I hope he learns from this lesson and be better captain. A captain is a role model. There are different types of captain. Best one I like about Steve Waugh or Imran Khan approach.

ahms
December 25, 2010, 06:02 AM
I'm happy Mullah defend his foreign team mate.

Why do you call him Mullah?

ahms
December 25, 2010, 06:12 AM

Yes, this is worrying. I remember when BD was playing in Dominica, Shakib was furious (literally) on the field for fielding mishap. A captain should always encourage team members on the field regardless of any cricketing mistake and make correction off the field during practice. Shakib is a cool guy off the field. There is no reason to be fiery on the field of fellow players, it will not do any good to his (teammate) confidence for rest of the game.

Baundule
December 25, 2010, 06:34 AM
Yes, this is worrying. I remember when BD was playing in Dominica, Shakib was furious (literally) on the field for fielding mishap. A captain should always encourage team members on the field regardless of any cricketing mistake and make correction off the field during practice. Shakib is a cool guy off the field. There is no reason to be fiery on the field of fellow players, it will not do any good to his (teammate) confidence for rest of the game.
There are times when you have to be furious with your team mates to get the best out of them. If one can use it properly, it works as a motivation. Of course, a fielder should be abused for not-trying; not for trying his best and missing. I guess, Shakib got furious for a lazy effort.

But being furious with his mates is within the rules; the same behavior towards the opponents or the umpire is not acceptable.

Naimul_Hd
December 25, 2010, 06:44 AM
very unsportsmanlike behavior from players. Sledging or pocking should be allowed in sports but that should be within limit. Shakib is a role model for our young stars right now..moreover, he is an acting captain of Bangladesh. He gotta be more careful dealing with this type of incidents.

BanCricFan
December 25, 2010, 07:59 AM
Ha ha, I would love to have seen some footage of the Sabbir and Riyad confrontation. Anyone else liking the fact that these youngsters, Sabbir and Nasir are showing some aggression. As long as it doesn't go too far I have no problem with it. It shows these guys are no "sissies". I hated the way Zunaid and Riyad were so passive when they were getting cursed by Swan and Zaheer Khan, they just stood there and took it as if they were somehow inferior and that was their place.
As long as they leave it at the domestic scene and don't bring it back up with them to the national setup there should be no problems. I remember Glenn Mcgrath and Matthew Hayden sledging and cursing each other at a domestic game but having no problems when they were in the national team. Also it can't be just coincidence that our best players are the ones who sometimes show some aggression: Shakib, Tamim, Rubel and Shafiul.

Top post!

I did write in another thread that Nasir, Sabbir, Noor, Anamul et el are a different breed of cricketers all together. They play to win and ooze with confidence, self-belief, talent, temperament and passion.

Sooner than many of us would like to think, Shakib and Tamim will be reinforeced and strengthened in the national set up by their likes, Insha Allah!

bd fan
December 25, 2010, 09:14 AM
why does everyone think just because we won against india last world cup we will win against them this time. Did we win a single match against india since world cup? Its like at the world cup we have some sort of luck. Btw i am a true bangladeshi fan :)

Naimul_Hd
December 25, 2010, 09:15 AM
As long as it doesn't go too far I have no problem with it.

totally agree.

It shows these guys are no "sissies". I hated the way Zunaid and Riyad were so passive when they were getting cursed by Swan and Zaheer Khan, they just stood there and took it as if they were somehow inferior and that was their place.

Tendulkar does the same. No matter how much a bowler curses him, he wont comment anything. He wont even stare at him. Would you then call Tendulkar a "sissy" ??

I remember Glenn Mcgrath and Matthew Hayden sledging and cursing each other at a domestic game but having no problems when they were in the national team.

it sounds bit overstatement. There was not a big clash between them. If you watch this, you would know what happened actually. I assume, Shakib, Riyad, Sabbir got in to more swearing than this incident of Hayden and McGrath.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yll7WhBpolU?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yll7WhBpolU?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

reyme
December 25, 2010, 10:02 AM
Umpires shouldn't be blamed. They are literally powerless against the big teams. If they report honestly they lose their jobs.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition

If they cant do it honestly, then they should not sign up for this job to begin with.
BD umpires are known for their poor judgment and extreme prejudice for foreign teams. Its a disgrace that we still have pathetic umpires like Moni. They cause more trouble than good. It was actually umpire's poor decisions and poor handling of the on field situations that caused all this trouble to begin with. No wonder we hardly see any BD umpires outside BD.

reyme
December 25, 2010, 10:06 AM
why does everyone think just because we won against india last world cup we will win against them this time. Did we win a single match against india since world cup?

Based on the current form, team combination and performance, as long as that game is NOT officiated by a BD umpire, the signs are BD has a pretty good chance to cause an upset.

lamisa
December 25, 2010, 10:23 AM
kotha katakati porjonto thik ase,but eta ektu beshi hoye gese na?

Holden
December 25, 2010, 10:51 AM
Tendulkar does the same. No matter how much a bowler curses him, he wont comment anything. He wont even stare at him. Would you then call Tendulkar a "sissy" ??

When was the last time anyone sledged Tendulkar? As far as I'm aware nobody dares sledge him either out of respect or the fact that when somebody does he usually dismantles the bowler by hitting boundary after boundary. Here is an example of what happens when Tendulkar is sledged:

Sreesanth had even sledged Sachin Tendulkar and Virender Sehwag early in the innings.

"After he was hit by Sehwag for a four, he went up to him and asked him why he can't bat like that in international matches," the source said.

Sehwag, obviously lost his cool and pointed that out to the umpires. Later, Sreesanth dared to look Tendulkar in his eyes in his follow through after getting one past him.

The next ball saw Tendulkar jumping out of his crease to smash a six, tennis style, over the bowler's head. The source said, "Tendulkar went up to him and said, never again come that close to me."

http://www.sachinism.com/showForumTopic.php?forumid=760

it sounds bit overstatement. There was not a big clash between them. If you watch this, you would know what happened actually. I assume, Shakib, Riyad, Sabbir got in to more swearing than this incident of Hayden and McGrath.

In this incident there was atleast some physical contact, in cricket this is frowned upon. If this incident isn't comparable then what about Tamim and Shafiul cursing each other at a domestic game. My point being as long as they leave it at the domestic games and don't carry it with them to the National setup then I have no problems with it

beshideshi
December 25, 2010, 11:05 AM
I do not know what was said between the players, but for an upcoming player to argue with a national team player is something. And I would agree with Holden bhai here, until you have the mentality to demolish your opponent at any cost, chances are you don't succeed in international cricket. I am now certainly awaiting to see Shabbir Rahman in the team.

FagunerAgun
December 25, 2010, 07:15 PM
At least he has some nerves for doing this. :-D

kalpurush
December 25, 2010, 08:52 PM

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Funny!!!:)

Here is your answer my friend....
If they cant do it honestly, then they should not sign up for this job to begin with.
BD umpires are known for their poor judgment and extreme prejudice for foreign teams. Its a disgrace that we still have pathetic umpires like Moni. They cause more trouble than good. It was actually umpire's poor decisions and poor handling of the on field situations that caused all this trouble to begin with. No wonder we hardly see any BD umpires outside BD.

kalpurush
December 25, 2010, 08:59 PM

Nobody will want to lose their nationality ^^^ by doing (sledging) so...to Tendu

lamisa
December 26, 2010, 08:43 AM
i would simply LOVE to watch rumman batting against sreesanth:drool:

mij
December 26, 2010, 08:22 PM

:up:

BANFAN
January 3, 2011, 07:04 PM
Why do you call him Mullah?

M. Ullah = Mullah

ahms
January 3, 2011, 07:18 PM
m. Ullah = mullah

lol!!!!

harrypotte
January 4, 2011, 02:49 AM
i would simply LOVE to watch rumman batting against sreesanth:drool:

:-*

shuziburo
January 5, 2011, 02:00 PM
Based on the current form, team combination and performance, as long as that game is NOT officiated by a BD umpire, the signs are BD has a pretty good chance to cause an upset.

Especially if Enamul Haque is not an umpire.

lamisa
January 7, 2011, 06:28 AM
i really like the title of the article isam!