PDA

View Full Version : Tamim's tips on Chitagong

LateCut
January 4, 2011, 01:50 PM
http://www.espncricinfo.com/travel/content/story/485106.html?city=chittagong

Visit Bhatiary Sunset Point and Boat Club
Chittagong is getting busier but if you get out of the city and reach Sunset Point at Bhatiary just before the sun goes down behind the ships in the shipbreaking yard, into the Bay of Bengal, you have a sight to behold. The Boat Club there has one of the most relaxing settings. Take a boat ride through the dark waters of the quiet, hilly lake and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere.
Shop at Johur Hawkers Market
A shopper's paradise if you are into street shopping. Be prepared to bargain hard and with perseverance you never know what gem you can come up with. Branded clothing at very low prices is there for the taking. You will be spoilt for choice - there's all kinds of clothes for kids and adults, and although these are supposed to be rejects, you'll struggle to find faults in them.
Eat at GEC More
This is a "happening" place, with hotels, restaurants, bakeries, banks and shopping malls. Also, eateries to suit every taste. My favourite is Handi at Dampara. It has exquisite Indian dishes and is a hot spot. Be ready to wait for a table, though. For a nice Chinese/Thai experience, the Pavilion or the Meridian are good choices. The traffic jams can be annoying at times but this is where everyone wants to be after sunset, as eating out is a popular tradition in Chittagong. If you love sweets then a must-go spot is Well Food - the best cakes, pastries, doughnuts and sweet goodies in town.
Visit the war cemetery, old Court House, and Master Da Surya Sen's raided armoury
Even if you are not into history, a trip to Chittagong will not be complete without a visit to the World War Two Cemetery at Badsha Miah Road. It is hard to imagine that such a serene spot can exist amid the hustle and bustle of the city. The Old Court House is another British-era relic which people from all over the world come to see. Chittagong's fighting spirit is epitomised by the preserved armoury near the old railway station junction, which the freedom fighter Master Da Surya Sen had raided during the anti-British movement.
Go to Batali Hill, Foy's Lake
When I was young I used to go up the rolling path of Batali Hill with friends to watch the city from the vantage point on top. Always a good idea to go in a group at dawn to watch the sunrise, and at dusk to see the glittering city lights. Foy's Lake Resort is also a cool spot for many water sports, and staying at one of their lakeside motels can be a treat.

LateCut
January 4, 2011, 02:41 PM
Please fill in places he missed. How could he miss all the darguhs/shrines, anthropology museum, bela biscuit joint, Goal Pahaar and the first multi-storied shopping mall in the country. I remember visiting WII cemetery often on my off days at the refinery. I felt bemused (at same time sorry for myself) at the sight of couples making it a rendezvous hideout. In those days Chittagong was very conservative. I had to search for three whole months to find a landlord who was willing to rent his/her house to a bachelor (mukhles?). Eventually, a friend of my mother rented a house to me (or Eastern Refinery to be exact). It was on a nice valley and I was very proud of it. But in one rainy day it got flooded up to the second floor! The construction around the neighborhood of the house apparently blocked the drainage passages. I soon left it and got another one where each of my visitors had to be pre-approved by my landlord! I did not have to endure it for too long as soon left for USA.

roman
January 4, 2011, 02:54 PM
Nice read brother. Thanx for sharing.

Ajfar
January 4, 2011, 03:24 PM
There is a place called bela biscuit joint? is it like a biscuit factory?

LateCut
January 4, 2011, 03:44 PM
There is a place called bela biscuit joint? is it like a biscuit factory?

Have you not tasted famous bela biscuit from Chittagong? If not, you should. It is the best biscuit (cookie) in the world. There is only one authentic store in Chittagong. We use to drop by there once a week to get a week's supply.

Kana-Baba
January 5, 2011, 04:55 AM
Have you not tasted famous bela biscuit from Chittagong? If not, you should. It is the best biscuit (cookie) in the world. There is only one authentic store in Chittagong. We use to drop by there once a week to get a week's supply.

what's the name of the store, and where is it located at?

BANFAN
January 5, 2011, 08:13 AM
Patenga Beach, Bayezid Bostami's Mazar, Bhatiary golf & Country club, Mazar of Baro Awlia, Shitakunda, Foyz Lake etc are places to go. But all these places are a little bit on the outer edge of the city.

No place for Shopping in Ctg.

If anyone is interested to see local people / crowd, they should go to New Market, Riazuddin Bazar etc places. While GEC's round about is a safe place for food in the city. But none of them serve traditional chatgaia food (Shutki etc).

Bela biscuit: one of the worst I have ever tasted. ;)

lamisa
January 5, 2011, 09:35 AM
i guess he left out patenga and naval base on purpose.aweful places to visit nowadays what with all the traffic and simply HORRIBLE roads,all broken and everything...

Kabir
January 5, 2011, 09:43 AM
Potenga? Why potenga? When you have this brand new beach in chittagong. I visited that place in '09 when we went. It's awesome, less crowded, but does require a reliable transportation.

I'll try to write something up and share.

Kabir
January 5, 2011, 09:49 AM
i guess he left out patenga and naval base on purpose.aweful places to visit nowadays what with all the traffic and simply HORRIBLE roads,all broken and everything...

I believe there are restrictions for Naval base and army base for foreigners. We were lucky to get into both of these with my mama's SUV as he was in the Navy back then. But the army guys are hardcore as they were able to recognize my wife as not a Bangladeshi. Turned out that my mama's driver was a bigger rongbaj and fooled the army folks.

Ajfar
January 5, 2011, 10:30 AM

I love Bela Biscuit. Bela Biscuit with tea ahhh its out of the world. First time I heard the name I was so curious where the name came from. Inshallah when I go to BD next time I will def check out this 'Bela Biscuit Joint'.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

BANFAN
January 5, 2011, 10:54 AM
I believe there are restrictions for Naval base and army base for foreigners. We were lucky to get into both of these with my mama's SUV as he was in the Navy back then. But the army guys are hardcore as they were able to recognize my wife as not a Bangladeshi. Turned out that my mama's driver was a bigger rongbaj and fooled the army folks.

There is no restriction to go to Patenga beach and you dont have to pass through any Naval Bases. off course if you have someone to enter into the Naval Base, you can enjoy the sea un interrupted.

Ctg Cantt will allow foreigners or any members of the Club to pass throug the cantt. But there is a different road to go to golf club without going through the cantt.

Are u talking about the INANi/Enani beach? That was excellent when I saw in 2003 last. There was only 1 Guest House and it was a very quiet and clean place. Don't know what it's like, now. But Cox's Bazar is not an alternatice of Patenga. People can spend part of day in Patenga And go to Cox's Bazar with atleast 2 full days.

And Cox's Bazar is not in Chittagong ;) So I didnt include it.

shuziburo
January 5, 2011, 01:43 PM
Interesting read. Thank you.

Chittagong is my second most favorite city in BD...

LateCut
January 5, 2011, 01:56 PM
Here it is a picture and a link

http://www.newagebd.com/2008/sep/17/eidspecial08/02.html

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs375.snc4/45815_428022718158_187189928158_4982977_5521368_n. jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2969521&id=187189928158)

roman
January 5, 2011, 01:59 PM
He should've talked about tea. Tea over there is out of this world

BANFAN
January 5, 2011, 02:03 PM
He should've talked about tea. Tea over there is out of this world

Well, the best thing ctg has is it's "Mishti Paan"

Earlier it used to be in "Love Lane" now a days it's in "GEC More"

Superb, after a full stomach of Biryani

BANFAN
January 5, 2011, 02:08 PM
Ctg's WC tour guide could also include pure 'Ganja' near Ashkar Dighi'r paar ;)

Haru-party
January 5, 2011, 06:37 PM
bela biscuit...uff ki mone koray dilen bhaijanera............chayer sathe chubay chubay khaitam......ishhh abar kobe jabo deshe.....allai jane fenite bela biscuiter dokanta ase naki

bujhee kom
January 5, 2011, 08:08 PM
Ctg's WC tour guide could also include pure 'Ganja' near Ashkar Dighi'r paar ;)

Aiccha Banfan da, okhaney gele freely kena jai, safe naki? I mean, ami kinte gelam, but Ashkar Dighir public ulta cheita gia amake dhoira dilo mair, tahole kinto holo naa. Chittagong Rail Station-e neme Rikshawala bhaike ki bolbo? Mamu, Ashkar Dighi-te nie jaan, just dighir ashey pashey randomly tokkor marun, aar bikreta khuji.

bujhee kom
January 5, 2011, 08:11 PM
bela biscuit...uff ki mone koray dilen bhaijanera............chayer sathe chubay chubay khaitam......ishhh abar kobe jabo deshe.....allai jane fenite bela biscuiter dokanta ase naki

Arrey Haru bhai, apni Fenir loke naki? Feni tow amar annar bari! Lemua Bazzar! Apni kintoo amar mama hote paren khub shombhob!!

Fenir Bela Biscuiter dukaner phashey amar khalammar jutar dukan (Lalu Bhulu Shoes) achey kintu, Feni Shodor-e!

Brit-boy
January 6, 2011, 07:58 AM
never been there, Inshallah (God willing) next time i go b'desh i'll visit this much talked about great city
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)

LateCut
January 6, 2011, 10:02 AM
Could somebody correct the spelling in the thread header?

Ace of BD
January 6, 2011, 10:44 AM
My home city!!

Haru-party
January 6, 2011, 02:52 PM
Arrey Haru bhai, apni Fenir loke naki? Feni tow amar annar bari! Lemua Bazzar! Apni kintoo amar mama hote paren khub shombhob!!

Fenir Bela Biscuiter dukaner phashey amar khalammar jutar dukan (Lalu Bhulu Shoes) achey kintu, Feni Shodor-e!
are vagina tumiiiiiiiii.......tomare koto dekhsi lemua bazare sentu genzi poira kolar kandi niya boisha hali dore bikri kortaso.......ta ganja lagboni....choila asho london.....karkhana to eikhane :D