PDA

View Full Version : World Cup Opening Ceremony

Cricket46
January 10, 2011, 11:08 AM
I received an email this morning (January 10, 2011), that may have originated from Bangladesh around the last part of December 2010. I do not know the person who forwarded it to me, nor the originator of the email. Nonetheless, the content is very important to how I look at things. It is about the opening ceremony of the World Cup 2011. Moderators, I am sending the link to the source here: info@bcb-cricket.com (http://mc/compose?to=info@bcb-cricket.com)
If it is against the policy of the forum please take it out.

The issue is about so many non-Bangladeshi participants in the opening ceremony. The write-up is in Bangla, so it would be nice if someone could translate it to English for those, here, who cannot read Bangla. I do not want to reiterate what is in the blog, but I am surprised that BCB or even the government has agreed to such an arrangement where Bangladeshi artists are ignored. I am ashamed that this is being allowed to happen. Where is the pressure coming from? Aren’t the opening/closing ceremonies of these events supposed to reflect the culture of the country hosting these ceremonies? I cannot recall any Olympics, or World Cup Soccer or even previous World Cup cricket ceremonies where these were anything but displays from the host nation. Our protests may not mean much, but as Bangladeshis or NRBs or as any rational individual we should protest on grounds of what is essentially wrong. I do not have anything against the big/small named artists from other countries, but the fact remains we have our very own in Bangladesh.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/ /><o:p></o:p></P><P class=MsoNormal style=The writer says he won’t go to watch the opening ceremony as it is planned now, even if he was given a free ticket. Even better is where he says if it has to be so much from another country, why is Bangladesh hosting the opening ceremony? I am not anti-any country, but I am pro-Bangladeshi. More importantly, it is not even a case of Bangladesh; it is a general expectation that the host country should be doing these ceremonies exclusively. Is that asking too much?

<o:p></o:p>

Habib
January 10, 2011, 12:36 PM
^Too much contradictions there mate. Bangladesh is not the only host of the WC but the co-host along with India & Srilanka. So it's expected that the opening ceremony will reflect the culture of all the three countries, but BD should get the most time to showcase its culture as the host of the opening ceremony.

Cricket46
January 10, 2011, 12:43 PM
You are missing the point. I understand very well that this is a jointly hosted World Cup. Please read the blog. Will there be any Bangladeshi artist in the closing ceremony? Where is the contradiction?

godzilla
January 10, 2011, 12:51 PM
bah, I could care less about the ceremony. All i care about is the BD wc matches ... the ceremony is no concern to me what so ever. It's just a waste of money ...

Habib
January 10, 2011, 12:53 PM
@Cricket46: This topic is very popular among the blog writers right now, but the question is, how come they are so sure that there won't be any BD artist? Or is it just a mere speculation on their part, just to increase the popularity of their blogs?
And I don't know anything about the closing ceremony unlike those know-it-all bloggers, but artists from all three countries should be there just like the opening ceremony.

Dilscoop
January 10, 2011, 01:02 PM
You can blame the Bangladeshi girls for this.

I was tired my mom trying to watch Indian tv all day. 07 Super bowl going on, but no she has to watch some crap. No disrespect to anyone, but it's just very crappy. How can you watch something with drum rolls in the background the whole time, and slow-mo for pretty much every thing, just to give it a dramatic effect, because the actors fail to do it with acting. Bust into dance out of no where with ding dong music, and what's with the lip syncing to someone else's song? Indian entertainment is very influential in BD. Indian artist won't come to the stadium just because it's a jointly event, but also to entertain our own crowd. Who can you send to India in return? I don't think Indians watch Bangla show like you do.

If you are so worried about a little thing like that, just ask Bangladesh to be at the Finals.

roman
January 10, 2011, 01:08 PM
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=35180&highlight=opening+ceremony

Similar thread I guess...

Murad
January 10, 2011, 01:46 PM
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=35180&highlight=opening+ceremony

Similar thread I guess...

There's another post similar to this OP.

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showpost.php?p=1254670&postcount=36

Murad
January 10, 2011, 01:47 PM
Khaiya dhaiya kono kaj nai to blog lekhte boshe jai. ei chance e blog er hit baraitese ar ki..

Naimul_Hd
January 10, 2011, 05:54 PM
Most of the comments of those blogs are not reliable as they quoted from some dubious dailies. Opening ceremony schedule has not been disclosed yet and people are already claiming that there will be no Bangladeshi artists.

Shei SRK show theke je shuru hoiche kada chorachori, ekhono sheta cholche !

firstlane
January 11, 2011, 03:52 AM
http://www.somewhereinblog.net/blog/sharaj/29300139

I got this link from facebook, not sure if you are talking about the same blog.

niqbal
January 11, 2011, 06:02 AM
There was another similar thread opened sometime ago.

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=35113

magic boy
January 11, 2011, 08:06 AM
lets concentrate on cricket. and wish that we can beat India again in world cup consecutively.

India vs Bangladesh in world cup matches - BD 1 - 0 Ind

zulfiqer
January 11, 2011, 08:38 AM
ami jetuku jani, opening ceremony te bangladesher part besh bhalobhabei thakchhe. bangladesher jatiyo sangeet diye ceremony shuru hobe. then bangla and english language e welcome song hobe (bangladesher jonpriyo young artist ra gaiben ei gaan). tarpor shob dhesher captain ra stadium e dhukben amader desher ekti jonorpiyo bahon e chepe... then bangladesher bhasha andolon, muktijuddho, oshamprodaiyekota, amader desher shokol adibashi culture tule dhora hobe...erpor ashbe srilanka and india'r performance...
prai 2 hours er opening ceremony te srilanka and india'r jonno shomoi thakbe 50%er o kom. e chhara officially program shuru howar aage prai 2 hours er ekta pre show hobe... shekhane bangladesher jonopriyo shilpira perform korben...

tiger_army
January 11, 2011, 09:27 AM
I read few of those blog posts and to my opinion they are all useless.
Seriously who cares about the opening ceremony, we are not here for dancing and stage performing. we are here to play cricket.
As long as we perform better on the field win some matches against big names and through to the next round everybody will talk about us. spending million bucks on opening ceremony or introducing tashan-kumar bishojit-munmun-moushumi wont make us famous.

those bloggers have some issue. instead of creating trouble they should start posting creative stuff such as our WC team formation, team selection.

That is why i love BC so much and I think BC is the best BD forum/blog.

Holden
January 11, 2011, 09:51 AM
I was tired my mom trying to watch Indian tv all day. 07 Super bowl going on, but no she has to watch some crap. No disrespect to anyone, but it's just very crappy. How can you watch something with drum rolls in the background the whole time, and slow-mo for pretty much every thing, just to give it a dramatic effect. Bust into dance out of no where with ding dong music.

ok enough about American football, what about Indian TV ? :-D

RazabQ
January 11, 2011, 04:38 PM
I personally would be bummed if the opening ceremony turns out to be yet another Bollywood extravaganza with no nods to Bangladeshi elements, but I believe I'd be in the minority. Everyone with dish tv or a dvd player (in BD or abroad) is constantly consuming Indian tele-dramas or movies. Our middle-class wedding receptions are competitions in how religiously we can ape a Shahrukh or Karishma. Our own players speak in Hindi (Aftab) or are found belting out Indian show-tunes on karaoke (Rajib) or raving about Yuvi (Mash).

Let's face it, these bloggers are like the French folks complaining about "Le Big Mac": They represent valid concerns about loss of cultural identity and getting homogenized with a flashier/crasser super-culture but it's ultimately a futile gripe.

Alchemist
January 11, 2011, 06:07 PM
I personally would be bummed if the opening ceremony turns out to be yet another Bollywood extravaganza with no nods to Bangladeshi elements, but I believe I'd be in the minority. Everyone with dish tv or a dvd player (in BD or abroad) is constantly consuming Indian tele-dramas or movies. Our middle-class wedding receptions are competitions in how religiously we can ape a Shahrukh or Karishma. Our own players speak in Hindi (Aftab) or are found belting out Indian show-tunes on karaoke (Rajib) or raving about Yuvi (Mash).

Let's face it, these bloggers are like the French folks complaining about "Le Big Mac": They represent valid concerns about loss of cultural identity and getting homogenized with a flashier/crasser super-culture but it's ultimately a futile gripe.

This is the best post I've seen so far on this topic. Thank you Razab bhai.

Most of the bloggers are raising concerns about Indian culture taking over ours......the aggressive behaviour of the Bollywood culture and our submissiveness to it............most of the bloggers may be over reacting.....but they’ve a valid concern I guess.

There’s no harm in enjoying other culture..don’t get me wrong...it’s the balance that’s the concern..........if the WC ceremony can maintain the balance...that's a great news.

Just to let you guys know (in case if you’re unaware)......in this golden era of ‘Global economy and Information sharing’.........India has blocked our TV channels in their land.....for years....

firstlane
January 11, 2011, 08:49 PM

1+
It couldn't have been put in better words.

Those who are saying who cares about the opening ceremony. Well we should care coz this is our chance to show the world something other than poverty, flood and dirty politics. This is also our chance to show the world that we are unique than India what many people in the world don't know.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Murad
January 21, 2011, 03:02 PM
Saturday, January 22, 2011Sports

WC opening ceremony tickets from early Feb

Sports Reporter
The tickets for the opening ceremony of the ICC World Cup will go on sale on the first week of February.

The opening ceremony for the 14-nation grand tournament will be held at the Bangabandhu National Stadium on February 17.

BCB's ticket and seating committee chairman GS Hasan Tamim informed yesterday that the 7000-plus tickets will be available for public consumption of the 24,000-capacity Big Bowl.

“The tickets will be sold through a bank but it is yet to be decided which bank will get the rights. The maximum number of tickets will be distributed to the dignitaries,” said Tamim.

The ticket rates for the different seating areas are: Gallery Tk 1000.00, Grandstand Tk 10,000.00 and Grandstand (lower) Tk 20,000.00.

On the other hand, BCB CEO Manzur Ahmed said that they are yet to get the details from KyaZoonga about the ticket selling of the matches.

“Hopefully within two days we will get the details from KyaZoonga,” said Manzur.

He also informed that BCB in it's Thursday's meeting has decided to send injured fast bowler Mashrafe Bin Mortaza to Sri Lanka for check up.

Mashrafe will leave for Colombo today to meet with surgeon Dr David Young tomorrow.

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=171019