PDA

View Full Version : Batting PP in 28th Over

shuziburo
January 13, 2011, 09:03 AM
SA took the batting PP in the 28th over yesterday and scored 45 from 5. They scored at this rate playing sensible cricket, without going for unnecessarily big shots. This (taking batting PP in middle overs when we have a couple of set batsmen and accelerate scoring without taking unnecessary risks) is a strategy that BD should explore. Several of us here recommended this.

Mahmood
January 13, 2011, 09:13 AM
I feel, anytime the batsmen feel set and confident should take the batting PP and let all hell break loose.

Be it the 15th over or the 25th or the 35th and so on.

Zeeshan
January 13, 2011, 09:15 AM
Agree with #1 and #2.

Ajfar
January 13, 2011, 11:15 AM
It sounds good and all on paper but say we are have 145/3 on the board after the 28 over and we take the batting PP there is a chance that we might lose 3/4 wickets in those batting PP overs and than we struggle to reach 200. I think we should follow this kind of strategy only if we are chasing a big total because when you are chasing a big total you have to take the risk otherwise it might be too late. If we have a batting collpase at the top of the order than I would take it early on to see if some of the middle order batsmans can make something out of it. But if we have some decent partnerships going on I wouldn't want us to take the batting pp too ealy. I wouldn't wait till the 45th over but I would wait till we get closer to the slog overs say like from 38th or 39th over.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

shuziburo
January 13, 2011, 01:19 PM
I feel, anytime the batsmen feel set and confident should take the batting PP and let all hell break loose.

I think 28th over might be too early for us. Our batsmen have not mastered the art of controlled aggression. However, 35th over onwards when we have two set batsmen in, I am all for taking it.

Rabz
January 13, 2011, 01:27 PM
PP on the 28th ??
Man, we still manage to phuh kit up when we take it on the 45th !!

Well, we could, but then we'd have to hit the ball as clean as AB and JP was hitting.

Murad
January 13, 2011, 01:46 PM
SA took the batting PP in the 28th over yesterday and scored 45 from 5. They scored at this rate playing sensible cricket, without going for unnecessarily big shots. This (taking batting PP in middle overs when we have a couple of set batsmen and accelerate scoring without taking unnecessary risks) is a strategy that BD should explore. Several of us here recommended this.

And they lost 4 wickets for those 45 runs didnt they? We shouldn't take the PP this early. We should take it after the 35th over.

betaar
January 13, 2011, 02:33 PM
I say it should all depend on situations. I don't think there should be any one way of doing this.

For example, if Tamim is on song and still there, I would take PP right after the 15th over. Who's better than Tamim in our team to take advantage PP, ecpecially with the new ball?

If Shak and Mushfique are well set as a pair, they should take advantage of PP regardless of which stage of the game is in. They are the best and possibly the last pair we have who can actually take advantage of PP without taking too much risk or looking too ugly like Naeem or Shuvo.

shuziburo
January 13, 2011, 02:57 PM
And they lost 4 wickets for those 45 runs didnt they? We shouldn't take the PP this early. We should take it after the 35th over.

No, they were 45/0 in batting PP. What I like was the fact that they scored these runs without whacking at everything. They took singles of every delivery and punished the bad deliveries only. Our batsmen wants to whack at everything, which is what the SA tailenders were doing in the final overs.

jisaan
January 13, 2011, 03:25 PM

yes within the 35th to 45th over

last 5 overs are always fetch u runs
before, 35, it wud be too risky to over-attack

jam
January 13, 2011, 03:58 PM
Agree with #1 and #2.

Nice avatar. R u from Air Force?

wiseshah
January 13, 2011, 04:03 PM
I think no matter what the situation , bcb will stick with 45 over pp
mashrafe will bowl last 5 over

ashraful will bat at #3 and start collapse

shuvo will bat at power play

mushfiq will bat at number 7

Baundule
January 13, 2011, 04:09 PM
Everything depends on the situation. SA just experimented with it in the India match.
PP most often causes the fall of one or two wickets. So, the idea of having two set batsmen is not always the best thing to consider. If the openeners/ top orders are in song, taking it during the first 20 overs can be very helpful. If 5/6 wickets are down by the 40th over, 41-45 can be a very good option making the last 10 overs very productive. When the batsmen are accumulating runs and building the innings, it is wise not to take the PP. The fall of a wicket may hurt the rythm.

Dhakablues
January 13, 2011, 06:26 PM
They took it at the 28th because it was a 35 over match yesterday and Shubho was on song.. I dont think Shakib wouldve done this has it been a regular 50 over match. Atleast, it hasnt been reported that they did so..

Dilscoop
January 13, 2011, 06:31 PM
I think no matter what the situation , bcb will stick with 45 over pp
mashrafe will bowl last 5 over

ashraful will bat at #3 and start collapse

shuvo will bat at power play

mushfiq will bat at number 7
BCB doesn't make that call. They are backstage workers. In fields are all on coaches and captains.

Zeeshan
January 13, 2011, 10:12 PM
Nice avatar. R u from Air Force?

Thanks...

..nah I wish. You can't have a stoner like me in the military. Insane amount of meticulous labor is required to be a fighter pilot. :)

Zeeshan
January 13, 2011, 10:14 PM
As far as OP is concerned. Due it's about being flexible and adapting to the game strategy. If you score like 150 in 30 over with 3 wickets in hand then definitely turn the gear on and take pp to be more destructive. sheesh.

stop attaching some axioms written in stone tablet to game plans.

wasi90lkv1
January 14, 2011, 12:56 AM

i agree with your post except for the bold part.

i do not think batsmen need to let all hell break loose, specially if they take the batting powerplay before 40th over. all they need to do is, play proper cricket shots (not slogging) and look for around 40-45 runs.

if they try to to let all hell break loose, they may lose a lot of wickets.

Awla
January 14, 2011, 03:43 AM
my opinion: between 35 & 42 ovr

lamisa
January 14, 2011, 04:01 AM
after 40th over under normal circumstances

shakibrulz
January 14, 2011, 05:14 AM
Frustrating to see the powerplay being wasted, but then again beggars can't be choosers. What's even more pathetic is that they go for the slogs without taking the powerplay, which is absurd and inexplicable. In an ideal world, I would say take it in the 38th over and around if they have wickets in hand.

firstlane
January 14, 2011, 05:39 AM
It sounds good and all on paper but say we are have 145/3 on the board after the 28 over and we take the batting PP there is a chance that we might lose 3/4 wickets in those batting PP overs and than we struggle to reach 200. I think we should follow this kind of strategy only if we are chasing a big total because when you are chasing a big total you have to take the risk otherwise it might be too late. If we have a batting collpase at the top of the order than I would take it early on to see if some of the middle order batsmans can make something out of it. But if we have some decent partnerships going on I wouldn't want us to take the batting pp too ealy. I wouldn't wait till the 45th over but I would wait till we get closer to the slog overs say like from 38th or 39th over.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

You said it all. Very sensible post.

jam
January 14, 2011, 09:44 AM
It should be decided depending on the match situation. Team can do some homework and decide approximately when to take the PP in each situation. However, even with the homework done, it should be decided instantly by the Captain+Coach as the match progresses. With the help of homework+cricketing knowledge+experience+situation, it should be the instinct of the captain (and\or coach) which should decide the batting PP. The batting PP should differ in each match.

For our case, it seems it is 46th~50th by default.

ahms
January 15, 2011, 11:03 AM
I suggest BD should hire a data analyst. They should start working on each of the opponent players. And do some analysis on video footage for last 2 years. As well as, develop a match progress graph and generate some indicators that is necessary to take right decision/plan.
We should go all high tech.

shuziburo
January 18, 2011, 11:49 AM
SA scored 45 for no loss of wickets in the batting PP of ODI 1. But, their loss in the 2nd ODI was primarily due to losing wickets during batting PP. In fact, they had no need to take a PP in that match as they only needed about 40 for 6 wickets at less than 4 rpo. They faltered again today. They lost 6 wickets for 25 after taking PP in 45th over.

Batting PP might always be an inexact science.