PDA

View Full Version : Daily Star thinks this is the 15, and here's why...

Isam
January 14, 2011, 01:21 PM
Shakib Al Hasan (captain), Tamim Iqbal, Imrul Kayes, Junaed Siddiqui, Rokibul Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mahmudullah Riyad, Naeem Islam, Shafiul Islam, Abdur Razzak, Rubel Hossain, Jahurul Islam, Shahriar Nafees, Mohammad Ashraful and Nazmul Hossain.

And this is why,

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=170121

taklima_naj
January 14, 2011, 01:35 PM
Shakib Al Hasan (captain), Tamim Iqbal, Imrul Kayes, Junaed Siddiqui, Rokibul Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mahmudullah Riyad, Naeem Islam, Shafiul Islam, Abdur Razzak, Rubel Hossain, Jahurul Islam, Shahriar Nafees, Mohammad Ashraful and Nazmul Hossain.

And this is why,

this will be the ok regards current atmosphere, though we are lacking a hard hitter, yah alok and sabbir cant guarantee they would be succesful in the main tournament as they hadnt been tried, therefore yah, this will be the good team, only option is Ash need to play down the order to win. thats it

Dhakablues
January 14, 2011, 01:38 PM
If we pick the same team that we did against Zimbabwe,, India, England will annihilate us with their batting giants, scoring 300 plus runs. And all they will have to do is take Tamim and Shakib's wicket, Imrul will fall after scoring 30 runs and the rest will take us to a respectable score and a respectable lose.

Whats the solution? Siddons should only focus on batting powerplay with the lower order batsman. Heck, bring in Sabbir to teach them a lesson or two...Selecting Rokibul, Riad and Naem in the same team means we have opted to defend 240 runs which they do if they are in form. But to chase 300 plus runs, which will happen no matter if it is Mirpur or Syedpur wicket,, we cannot have both those players in the same team. I would rather drop Naeem for Ashraful at 7 for that... And I know Ashraful is just that name that irritates us more than Dhaka's winter Mosha

al Furqaan
January 14, 2011, 02:29 PM
yep, i think that is what our 15 is going to be. and honestly, there ain't really a better 15. but i think shuvo will make the cut ahead of jahirul, who hasn't done anything this entire domestic season. regardless siddons needs to utilize the lineup better. if riyad must play (his off spin is no longer a joke) he should prolly bat up the order cuz he seems unable to slog these days. mushy must play up the order as well. naeem is perhaps the best big hitter we have and so he will then stay down the order.

LateCut
January 14, 2011, 02:30 PM
As for the conundrum called Ashraful, the selectors would have solely focused on his vast experience (especially in World Cups), if the former captain is to find a place in the fifteen. The selectors will face a lot of questions regardless of Ashraful's status in the team but according to highly-placed sources, he will be picked

I can envisagea day when Asharful's grand kids will be at the stands and Ashraful will walk into ground with a cane while adjusting his bi-focals to take his position in the slip cordon. He will have been selected because of his "experience" of repeated failures.

Equinox
January 14, 2011, 02:31 PM
Don't like it for some reason. It is lacking the flair of a World Cup squad. Not enough personalities there.

Also logically speaking, only three pacers? Nazmul over Shahadat? And Shuvo dropped? And I also think this is not right. Jahirul hasn't done anything to earn a recall so Shuvo will probably be retained.

Just don't feel inspired by the names there. Maybe it's just because Mash is not there.

_Rafi_
January 14, 2011, 02:33 PM
I dont think it will be a good idea to leave Shuvo out of squad. He might not looked impressive as we expected but he is filling the place of third SLA spinner. We were highly successfull with left armer trio in last WC. I dont see why we will not be that successful in a condition more favouring SLAs. Shuvo is much better spinner in current stage than what Shakib was in 07 WC. So I would definitely find the squad questionable if Shuvo isn't there.

Equinox
January 14, 2011, 02:33 PM
Well I just hope both Shakib and Siddons are satisfied with the squad so that there are no excuses if something goes wrong.

_Rafi_
January 14, 2011, 02:40 PM
A man(Ash) who never learned from past can never give any input for being an experienced. An insane of 8 years remains the same at the age of 50 years. Experience doesnt apply on a mentally retarded person.

al Furqaan
January 14, 2011, 02:44 PM
pacers look terribly inexperienced.

roman
January 14, 2011, 02:52 PM
as I expected Ash is there and will bat at # 4. Is he the most Luckiest player Alive?? I think so. Really wanted Mushy to bat at # 4. Looks like thats not happening.

Murad
January 14, 2011, 02:55 PM
When are they going to announce the squad? On 15th/16th?

roman
January 14, 2011, 02:56 PM
When are they going to announce the squad? On 15th/16th?

16th...

MarufH
January 14, 2011, 03:01 PM
He lost me at top when he said no Shuvo. we need our spinning trio this WC like last one. Period.

SS
January 14, 2011, 03:22 PM
pacers look terribly inexperienced.

expect to see a big shock....but all I want whoever is chosen gives more than 100% as they will be playing WC ..its a diff game...diff feeling...unlike last two series

BanCricFan
January 14, 2011, 03:49 PM
1. Tamim
2. Imrul
3. Nafees
4. Mushfiq
5. Shakib
6. Ashraful
7. Alok *
8. Riyad
9. Shafiul
10. Razzak
11. Rubel

12. Junaid
13. Jahurul
14. Nazmul
15. Shuvo

.... Rokibul*

Ashraful will be picked as he has done reasonably well in the DPL. I have no problem with that, given his "experience" and "Eid" factor. I would have Alok in my team. He brings excellent fielding, a few overs of Legspin and, potentially, match-winning world class batting. He and Ash has been so mismanaged over the years that one almost feels embarrassed to include them in their team. Yet, this two are the most naturally gifted batsmen in the country...some irony!

In the event Alok not being picked, I would have Rokibul 'Drama Queen' Hasan in his place and re-adjust the batting order. Jahurul would be an automatic choice as a reserve keeper. It was difficult to omit Shahadat from my squad as spin would be more effective in sub-continent. Therefore, the inclusion of Shuvo. That said, we would be in deep waters if Rubel fails to deliver and proves to be expensive. Nazmul will give us control and steadiness but not many important early or otherwise breakthroughs. I so hope to be proven wrong!

hoodlum
January 14, 2011, 04:06 PM
somehow this team looks incomplete and i am not satisfied at all

cricket_pagol
January 14, 2011, 04:07 PM
i will be extremely disappointed if Ash is picked in the squad... this is senseless gambling on a global stage.

BanCricFan
January 14, 2011, 04:19 PM
i will be extremely disappointed if Ash is picked in the squad... this is senseless gambling on a global stage.

He was picked when he was not supposed to be picked. And now we are crying for his exclusion when he is supposed to be picked. Very strange -right?

cricket_pagol
January 14, 2011, 06:45 PM
He was picked and he did not perform. So why is he supposed to be picked now?

Team selection has to be performance based, not emotion based.

Naimul_Hd
January 14, 2011, 08:23 PM
somehow this team looks incomplete and i am not satisfied at all

Ashraful Mashrafe (fit)

this would make the squad complete, but alas ! :(

cricadda
January 14, 2011, 08:35 PM

And this is why,

where is shuvo?????????:confused:

cricadda
January 14, 2011, 08:48 PM

Night_wolf
January 14, 2011, 09:23 PM
unless we get out of the ash saga we cannot expect better things..and i agree with everybody who talked about shuvo

LBW103
January 14, 2011, 09:46 PM
Looks about right. Great, thoughtful piece by the Daily Star too explaining why this 15 - if people can be bothered to read it. Let's see what the selectors come up with.

Remember we have to not just win games in Bangladesh but also SL and India if we gonna progress. Reserve keeper required (jahirul) and also left and right arm spin as we come up against left and right hand batters.

People's views are split just showing how tough a job it is to pick this squad. I dont envy the selectors and I think they are considering how to WIN matches and not just who are the heart-warming selections.

al-Sagar
January 14, 2011, 11:39 PM
I dont think it will be a good idea to leave Shuvo out of squad. He might not looked impressive as we expected but he is filling the place of third SLA spinner. We were highly successfull with left armer trio in last WC. I dont see why we will not be that successful in a condition more favouring SLAs. Shuvo is much better spinner in current stage than what Shakib was in 07 WC. So I would definitely find the squad questionable if Shuvo isn't there.

i agree with you. we need the trio of SLA's ...............

that 30 overs of sla will be the key to our success.

Baundule
January 15, 2011, 01:53 AM
I like BanCricFan's squad and the reasoning.

Zunaid
January 15, 2011, 01:54 AM
Looks about right. Great, thoughtful piece by the Daily Star too explaining why this 15 - if people can be bothered to read it. Let's see what the selectors come up with.

Remember we have to not just win games in Bangladesh but also SL and India if we gonna progress. Reserve keeper required (jahirul) and also left and right arm spin as we come up against left and right hand batters.

People's views are split just showing how tough a job it is to pick this squad. I dont envy the selectors and I think they are considering how to WIN matches and not just who are the heart-warming selections.

Setting emotions aside, this is as good as it gets. My only niggle is Shuvo. Could we have slotted him in place. But I'm not sure who will then miss out. You do make a valid comment about reserve wk and so Jahurul makes sense. Ash makes sense if batting at 7.

wiseshah
January 15, 2011, 02:12 AM
Shuvo"s economic bowling is necessary.if shuvo not picked, sabbir should replace him.

Jahirul will be out, he is out of form

squad with only 5 bowler that doesnt sound right.

Either jahirul or ash will be out, not shuvo.

iamreza
January 15, 2011, 04:30 AM
BREAKING NEWS:Guys,just got a massage 4m akram chacha.mash is out.13 players has been locked 4 world cup.1.tamim 2.imrul 3.zunaed 4.nafees 5.rokibul 6.ashraful 7.shakib 8.mushfiq 9.razzaq 10.shuvo 11.rubel 12.shafiul 13.nazmul.rest 2 will be chosen 4m naeem,riyad,shabbir.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Shehwar
January 15, 2011, 04:32 AM
Hmm ... Makes sense I suppose!
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

WorldCup11
January 15, 2011, 05:09 AM
BREAKING NEWS:Guys,just got a massage 4m akram chacha.mash is out.13 players has been locked 4 world cup.1.tamim 2.imrul 3.zunaed 4.nafees 5.rokibul 6.ashraful 7.shakib 8.mushfiq 9.razzaq 10.shuvo 11.rubel 12.shafiul 13.nazmul.rest 2 will be chosen 4m naeem,riyad,shabbir.

I liked the team, Except Rokibul.

I want all 3 (naeem,riyad,shabbir) in 15 not Rokibul.

Riyad: As backup for #4 batting order, if not Mushy
Nayeem: Backup fielder, if we batted first, we can replace Ash with Nayeem for fielding (I believe Ash will bat #7).

Sabbir: We need someone to do an Inzamam of 1992, we already got Joysuriya of 1996 in Tamim, Sabbir already did similar(Inzamam 1992) things for BD A team comming down lower in order . Lets bring him as a surprise. Nayeem can only convert fast bowlers to 6 , taking advantage of pace, Sabbir is strong enough to send any ball even spinners to outside the stadium

jahidus200
January 15, 2011, 05:25 AM
that was not a bad selection by daily star but the only problem is they couldbe select alok koplai instead of roqibul , bcz u can excepy anytime math winning innigs from alok kopali but roqibul cant do that ,

jisaan
January 15, 2011, 06:06 AM
A man(Ash) who never learned from past can never give any input for being an experienced. An insane of 8 years remains the same at the age of 50 years. Experience doesnt apply on a mentally retarded person.

Shonar okkhore bandhanor moto kotha.:big_hug:

aitar 4ta copy kora uchieet.
1 for Selectors
1 for Mostofa kamal
1 for Ashraful himself

& 1 for Utpol Shuvro...

jisaan
January 15, 2011, 06:14 AM
Shuvo"s economic bowling is necessary.if shuvo not picked, sabbir should replace him.

Jahirul will be out, he is out of form

squad with only 5 bowler that doesnt sound right.

Either jahirul or ash will be out, not shuvo.

Shuvo should be an automatic choice.. no questions over his inclusion

jisaan
January 15, 2011, 06:16 AM
I liked the team, Except Rokibul.

I want all 3 (naeem,riyad,shabbir) in 15 not Rokibul.

Riyad: As backup for #4 batting order, if not Mushy
Nayeem: Backup fielder, if we batted first, we can replace Ash with Nayeem for fielding (I believe Ash will bat #7).

Sabbir: We need someone to do an Inzamam of 1992, we already got Joysuriya of 1996 in Tamim, Sabbir already did similar(Inzamam 1992) things for BD A team comming down lower in order . Lets bring him as a surprise. Nayeem can only convert fast bowlers to 6 , taking advantage of pace, Sabbir is strong enough to send any ball even spinners to outside the stadium

like every part of it except that ash... hate to even see him in national colors... not even in the 23 member squad

WorldCup11
January 15, 2011, 06:30 AM
like every part of it except that ash... hate to even see him in national colors... not even in the 23 member squad

Hi Jisaan, I am not a Die hard Ash fan either, but he'll be in playing 11 anyhow. Thats why I wanted him to bat in 7. Have you read today's Prothom alo? Khaled Mahmud Suzon made a good comment about Ash inclusion and batting position. That make sense to me, as we r not doing well in batting power play

আশরাফুলের ব্যাপারে ফারুকের সঙ্গেই গলা মেলালেন খালেদ মাহমুদ। তিনি বলেন, ‘আমি ফারুক ভাইয়ের সঙ্গে একমত। কোনো সন্দেহ নেই আশরাফুল বাংলাদেশের অন্যতম সেরা খেলোয়াড়। একজন অভিজ্ঞ খেলোয়াড়। তাঁর বিশ্বকাপ দলে থাকা উচিত।’ খালেদ মাহমুদ মনে করেন, আশরাফুলকে ব্যাটিং পজিশনের চার নম্বরে না খেলিয়ে ৬ নম্বরে খেলানো উচিত। এর ব্যাখ্যা হিসেবে তিনি বলেন, ‘আশরাফুলকে চাপমুক্ত করে, নিজের খেলাটাই খেলতে দেওয়া উচিত। চার নম্বরে ব্যাটিংয়ে নামলে ও সব সময় চাপে থাকে। কিন্তু ছয় নম্বরে নামলে সে তাঁর নিজের খেলাটা খেলতে পারবে। ছয় নম্বর ব্যাটসম্যান সাধারণভাবে ২৫ ওভারের পর মাঠে নামে। সে সময় নতুন বল নেওয়া হয়। বল শক্ত থাকে। মারতে সুবিধা হয়। তা ছাড়া সে সময় পাওয়ার প্লেরও সম্ভাবনা থাকে।’

zainab
January 15, 2011, 06:33 AM
Poor Mash, what bad luck for him that he could not play in this WC in his own country.
Well, in 2007, my favourite Brett Lee could not play, sprained ankle, but he will play in this years WC. There is still hope for Mash, he should look at Brett Lee and see how many times in 5 years this poor guy had to miss matches because of injury.

lamisa
January 15, 2011, 06:38 AM
i don't really like the ds squad that much.the x factor seems to be missing.and good on nafees(according to reza!)

WarWolf
January 15, 2011, 08:31 AM
Ash is a like a virus these days. Really hard to get rid off!!!!

iamreza
January 15, 2011, 08:47 AM
At last i am happy for our squad.

Banglaguy
January 15, 2011, 08:58 AM
I don't think that is the real team. I do not see Rubel being picked ahead of Shafiul...

Tendulkar_Mcgrath
January 15, 2011, 03:50 PM
i want shabbir instead of naeem

lamisa
January 16, 2011, 10:22 AM
iamreza,should u be leaking inside news on a forum?

iamreza
January 16, 2011, 01:31 PM
All that i wanted to share.i think its not leaking.afterall after 1 day whole world will know.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

Tigers_eye
January 16, 2011, 02:33 PM
Isam,
People's choice? ei gula DS kotha thekey pai?
+++
Selectors can not just select a player on experience as well. Team chemistry also comes in to play. Garbage player not only can not perform but at the same time pulls the team down (see runouts and catch drops). That goes against the team's mentality of winning.

If you agree with me then convey those in another article so that the selectors are reminded of their duty.

Banglaguy
January 16, 2011, 05:25 PM
Isam,
People's choice? ei gula DS kotha thekey pai?
+++
Selectors can not just select a player on experience as well. Team chemistry also comes in to play. Garbage player not only can not perform but at the same time pulls the team down (see runouts and catch drops). That goes against the team's mentality of winning.

If you agree with me then convey those in another article so that the selectors are reminded of their duty.

Bhai, who are these garbage players?

irampool
January 16, 2011, 10:30 PM
If this is really what Daily Star predicted, than I must say they need to hire some better people to manage these things. I mean, didn't they research at all on what's going on the on-going premiere league??!!!

It would be a big joke if the selectors include Jahurul who has been failing throughout this domestic season and exclude Shuvo who has been doing his job pretty well recently. And Shahadat has been doing quite well in the on-going Premiere League, so he has a good bit of chance to make it to the squad.

I also have a strong feeling that Sabbir Rahman is gonna make it to the squad, and if that happens, I believe it would be one heck of a decision! He's a big prospect for us and would be a really handy all-round option indeed.

Jadukor
January 16, 2011, 10:48 PM
^^
i dont get why you would complain about inclusion of Jahirul and exclusion of Shuvo in the same sentence! They are both competing for different roles and positions... Jahirul is fighting for a place against the middle order batters...and his plus point is that he fills in as a reserve wicket keeper... where as shuvo is up against the regular spinners and spinning alrounders in the squad for a lower order position...

Selectors are methodical in their approach and so they go by each position and pick the players that fit the over all combination of the squad...

zainab
January 17, 2011, 06:26 AM
Jahirul and Shuvo should not be in the squad, not enough experience and i am not impressed with their performance. They have lot of time to improve, this is the world cup.I hope Kapali and Nafees find a spot in the squad.

Zunaid
January 17, 2011, 06:29 AM
Jahirul and Shuvo should not be in the squad, not enough experience and i am not impressed with their performance. They have lot of time to improve, this is the world cup.I hope Kapali and Nafees find a spot in the squad.

The magician's point was that Jahurul gets an in as Mushy's understudy. We do need a reserve wk (god forbid Mushy gets hurt) and JI is it. Because of that special skill, the competition for the other spots get rougher.

magic boy
January 17, 2011, 06:45 AM
and I wonder why its compulsory to have experience & regular presence in international arena.Debutant can score century.those who can score nothing can daunt them from scoring.Both Shabbir & Alok should be included imo

abu2abu
January 17, 2011, 07:43 AM
It would be sad to see Shuvo excluded. It would be dangerous for BD to go into a 50 over World Cup with only two full time spinners in the side (that is Shakib and Razzak, naeem and riyad are part timers by anyone's standards).

I understand that as a SLA, Shuvo may be surplus to requirements. But in that case I'd rather he was repalced by a full time leggie (Perhaps Nur Hossain Munna) than an "allrounder" like Shabbir Rahman or Kapali....

Zeeshan
January 17, 2011, 09:14 AM

The magician's point was that Jahurul gets an in as Mushy's understudy. We do need a reserve wk (god forbid Mushy gets hurt) and JI is it. Because of that special skill, the competition for the other spots get rougher.

I've waited a long time to say this. Fail.

Isam
January 17, 2011, 10:51 AM
It wasn't a prediction entirely. It was a way to give the selectors some food for thought and also, feel their pulse.

We have done enough research and I am confident that the piece would help the selectors. It wasn't one of those fantasy squads people seem to be picking left and right. Heck, I've done one in my facebook status. If I had it my way (personally), then I wouldn't pick a lot of players and do the thing differently.

But I'm not a selector. I can only write and give ideas maybe and above all, write things that will do good to Bangladesh cricket which I've been part of since the age of 11 and really love.

Get back to me isam84@gmail.com (you make really good points...)

If this is really what Daily Star predicted, than I must say they need to hire some better people to manage these things. I mean, didn't they research at all on what's going on the on-going premiere league??!!!

It would be a big joke if the selectors include Jahurul who has been failing throughout this domestic season and exclude Shuvo who has been doing his job pretty well recently. And Shahadat has been doing quite well in the on-going Premiere League, so he has a good bit of chance to make it to the squad.

I also have a strong feeling that Sabbir Rahman is gonna make it to the squad, and if that happens, I believe it would be one heck of a decision! He's a big prospect for us and would be a really handy all-round option indeed.

napster
January 17, 2011, 11:20 AM
ppl..ash is only a part of the squad now..simply for his past experience...is the best 11 declared? NO..every1 is talkin about him battin at 7 becoz he is not in gd touch..may b he wont get a chance in the 11..lol..nafees is in good knick..den agn ppl want sabbir in the wc squad n m quite surprised ppl want him to play matches as well..i think its too early for him...Alok a gud player no doubt but he was nowhr near the intl cric scene for last 2 yrs i guess...
den agn every have their opinion...i just gave mine..cheers

iamreza
January 17, 2011, 11:27 AM

guys.no tention.just remember this.

AsifTheManRahman
January 17, 2011, 11:43 AM
Ashraful? Raqibul? Why God why?

If this is true, can you ask your Akram chacha why he's putting us in so much pain?

akabir77
January 17, 2011, 12:05 PM
In the world cup our team will carry either ZN, Rock or ASH, ROCK or ZN, ASH. and in this scenario I would rather carry ash then any other dead rock. cause just in case in one match if ash fires that would be a win for us. were as zn or rock even if they fires nothing will happen... so for WC I totally support picking ash without form

magic boy
January 17, 2011, 12:13 PM
In the world cup our team will carry either ZN, Rock or ASH, ROCK or ZN, ASH. and in this scenario I would rather carry ash then any other dead rock. cause just in case in one match if ash fires that would be a win for us. were as zn or rock even if they fires nothing will happen... so for WC I totally support picking ash without form

indeed..indeed lol that's the difference.only reason why i enlisted him in my own 15. Eid is a special day.

irampool
January 17, 2011, 09:12 PM
^^
i dont get why you would complain about inclusion of Jahirul and exclusion of Shuvo in the same sentence! They are both competing for different roles and positions... Jahirul is fighting for a place against the middle order batters...and his plus point is that he fills in as a reserve wicket keeper... where as shuvo is up against the regular spinners and spinning alrounders in the squad for a lower order position...

Selectors are methodical in their approach and so they go by each position and pick the players that fit the over all combination of the squad...

Even though Daily Star picked both Jahurul and Nafees together, in reality picking up Jahurul would actually mean that Nafees has to make his way out of the team (as ASH is always gonna be there in BD squad until his grandchild arrives on earth and Junayed and Rokibul are always Siddon's favourites).

Now, compare Jahurul's and Nafees's recent domestic performance......Jahurul's stats are no way near Nafees's ones! Now how worthy enough would that be to give away Nafees's place to Johurul only because he can be a reserve WK??!!!! If Jahurul was scoring heavily in the on-going Premiere League, than it would have made sense to think about including him in place of Nafees considering his wicket keeping ability. But that hasn't happened!

taklima_naj
January 17, 2011, 10:37 PM
Ashraful? Raqibul? Why God why?

If this is true, can you ask your Akram chacha why he's putting us in so much pain?

yah still they dont depend on Mushy to play at no 4 position, sad

max410
January 18, 2011, 12:35 AM
he ain't no virus he will throw his wicket in the first match then he is gone
people in BD are not aware of it if he underperforms the next match his career is pretty much screwed for life.

iamreza
January 19, 2011, 02:44 AM
guys.no tention.just remember this.

so chachar team tai theke galo.