PDA

View Full Version : Series of Articles on BD Tigers courtesy: New Age

jisaan
January 22, 2011, 10:15 AM
New Age has been publishing articles on our Cricketers after the finalization of the 15 member world cup squad.

There are some encouraging & useful information.
So far they have covered brief profile of the following cricketers:

1) Roqibul Hassan, 20th Jan
2) Shafiul Islam, 21st Jan
3) Nazmul Hossain, 22nd Jan

jisaan
January 22, 2011, 10:16 AM
Mr Dependable Roqibul

http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/sports/5750.html
http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/thumbnail.php?file=20_01_2011_spt____04_758222566. jpg&size=article_medium

Born into a middle-class family in Jamalpur, Roqibul Hassan, the youngest one of nine siblings, burst onto the cricket scene when the Bangladesh Krira Shikkha Protishthan held a camp for the under-16 batsmen in his home town early in 2001. Roqibul never got his chance to study at the BKSP, but showed his class in the brief training camp that he attended at the sports academy and never looked back since. He was soon inducted into the Bangladesh Under-17 side and took no time to make his name as ‘Mr Dependable’ for his calm attitude. Roqibul, the first Bangladeshi to hit a triple-century in first class cricket, is one of the key members of the Bangladesh Under-19 team that forced the world to take look at them with their performance in a tri-series at home in 2005, also featuring England and Sri Lanka. He was one of the three Bangladeshis to hit a century in the tournament with Sakib al Hasan and Tamim Iqbal being other two names. He made his international debut against South Africa with an ODI in 2008 and soon became one of the most pampered boys of coach Jamie Siddons. Upset at being excluded from the 30-man provisional squad for the last ICC World Twenty20, Roqibul whimsically retired from international cricket, a decision which made everyone dumbfounded. He realised his mistake shortly and returned to the national fold three months later. ‘Really it’s a dream journey for me. I never thought I would come this far. I am thankful to Allah and my coaches for making me the cricketer I am. I will try to repay them with all my ability.’ said the right-hander.

jisaan
January 22, 2011, 10:19 AM
Smiling assassin Shafiul
http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/sports/5870.html
http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/thumbnail.php?file=21_01_2011_spt____02_988792912. jpg&size=article_medium

His talent was spotted at a very tender age, but Shafiul Islam hardly had any idea that he would be able to come this far. He grew up watching India-Pakistan cricket and always wanted to play like his idol Wasim Akram. Seeing him performing regularly in tape-tennis cricket at his home ground at Balohati in Joypurhat, many neighbours advised him to get admitted to the Bangladesh Krira Sikkha Protishthan. But he did no dare to dream it as it was too expensive for his family. His mother kept inspiring him, but Shafiul was not getting any way to realise his dream. When he was just about to lose his interest in cricket Shafiul heard about Pink City Talent Hunt
programme and decided to try his luck there. Former national cricketers conducted the programme in 2005-06 and they made no mistake in spotting him. Former national opener Hannan Sarkar took him to Brothers Union to play in Dhaka Premier League and it came as a real breakthrough. He caught the attention of the selectors when he became the highest wicket-taker in the league last season playing for Bangladesh Biman and was drafted into the national team straightaway. His ability with the bat, especially the half-century against Abahani which helped Biman tie the game coming from nowhere, also helped his selection. His first scoring shot in Test cricket was a six, which also evidenced his all-round ability. However, the smiling assassin, Shafiul, considers himself as an out and out fast bowler and wants to serve Bangladesh for as many days as possible. ‘I still have miles to go. Being a fast bowler fitness is my top priority as I want serve my country for a long period of time,’ said Shafiul.

jisaan
January 22, 2011, 10:21 AM
Footballer father, cricketer son

http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/sports/5994.html

http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/thumbnail.php?file=22_01_2011_spt____02_228288721. jpg&size=article_medium

His action said is to have some similarity with South African Makhaya Ntini, but Nazmul Hossain reminded all of Australian legend Glen McGrath with his accuracy in a foggy January morning in 2009 when his three-wicket burst left Sri Lanka reeling at an unprecedented five for six in the tri-series one-day final in Dhaka. Until then it was unclear to many why the tall, naive former BKSP student was rated so highly by the coaches and selectors. Nazmul, the only second Bangladeshi to make his first-class debut with a Test match after Mashrafee bin Murtaza, the man he replaced in the Bangladesh’s World Cup squad, struggled a lot to find his feet in international cricket for many days since playing his first Test match against India in Chittagong in 2004. Nazmul did not get his second call-up for Test yet, but is almost regular in the one-day side after that magical performance against Sri Lanka in which he claimed 3-30. As a boy there was every chance for him to take up football as his main sport being the son of a footballer – Muktar Hossain, a former Bangladesh Army and Dhaka Wanderers defender, who represented the national side in 1976. But like former wicketkeeper Khaled Mashud, whose father Shamsul Haque Shamsu was a stand-out footballer, Nazmul also chose to become a cricketer, the most popular sport of his generation. After getting admitted to the BKSP he caught the attention of coach Sarwar Imran, who introduced him to club cricket. He was lucky to be picked to play for the BCB X1 against England in 2003 as the national team were on tour to Zimbabwe, the under-19 side were in Pakistan and the A-team were in the West Indies. His impressive bowling in the match helped him get a place in the Under-19 side for the Junior World Cup 2004, held in Bangladesh. He took 18 wickets in seven matches, highest by any Bangladeshi in the tournament, which paved the way for his Test debut. ‘I owe my achievement to all the coaches, who helped me. I am especially grateful to Imran Sir and I will try my level best to fulfil whatever responsibility I am given by the team,’ said Nazmul. –– New Age

firstlane
January 22, 2011, 10:41 AM
nice reading. Can you provide a link as well.

jisaan
January 22, 2011, 11:05 AM
thanks

Links have been added

BANFAN
January 22, 2011, 11:16 AM
Nice & short, are they going to publish on all 15 ?

jisaan
January 22, 2011, 11:19 AM
Nice & short, are they going to publish on all 15 ?

think so!
and my guess is they are gonna conclude the series with Captain Cool (Article # 15)

crikss
January 22, 2011, 11:38 AM
wrong info about Shafiul....first of all he is from Bogra...he was my junior in school so I know him very closely...when he was in class 8 that time he used to play Bogra 2nd division cricket league from there he got chance in to Bogra Under 15 cricket team...I used to know him by his nickname Suhash but me didn't even think he will be in national team one day.

jisaan
January 24, 2011, 12:53 AM
http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/thumbnail.php?file=24_01_2011_spt____02_595937863. jpg&size=article_medium

Opener Imrul Kayes and West Indian Desmond Haynes have a similarity as both were extremely talented opening batsmen and played a key role for their sides but the limelight was always hogged by their more illustrious partners. He was the leading one-day scorer for Bangladesh in 2010 with 867 runs. He was first introduced to batting when his father Mohammad Bani Amin Biswas made a bat for him when he was in primary school. He never dreamt of becoming a cricketer until he was picked to play for Meherpur against a Rajshahi academy team when after the match coach Tanzib Ahsan Saad told him to continue his game. This word of advice had such a long lasting effect on him that after passing the SSC exam he went to Rajshahi to complete his HSC and also to hone his skills at the that academy. He played for Young Pegasus in the third division league and scored a double century against BKSP in 2002 that paved his way to get into a first division team and then the Dhaka Premier League. Soon he was included in the academy team of Bangladesh and made his mark in a four-day match against South Africa Academy side in 2007 with a sparkling 152 runs in Jessore only to declare he was here to stay. He also scored 113 runs in a one-day game of that series to prove that both forms of the game suit him. ‘I want to play for the national side for a long time and someday want to lead the side,’ said Kayes. — New Age

Rainman
January 26, 2011, 11:19 AM
This is all very interesting, but I'm not sure how accurate it all is. For example, nazmul hossain is described as "tall", but I've seen him in the flesh and you couldn't describe him as tall. He's taller than your average bengali, but he's not "tall".

That's just a small thing, but there are other inconsistencies others have noted.

On a separate point, I've heard Nazmul is from Hobiganj, does anynone know if this is true?

irampool
January 26, 2011, 03:58 PM
This is all very interesting, but I'm not sure how accurate it all is. For example, nazmul hossain is described as "tall", but I've seen him in the flesh and you couldn't describe him as tall. He's taller than your average bengali, but he's not "tall".

That's just a small thing, but there are other inconsistencies others have noted.

On a separate point, I've heard Nazmul is from Hobiganj, does anynone know if this is true?

I also read a couple of times in few articles that he's from Hobiganj!

Dilscoop
January 26, 2011, 05:41 PM
http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/thumbnail.php?file=24_01_2011_spt____02_595937863. jpg&size=article_medium

Really not the right image for Imrul and his batting style. That was probably the only time he played an un-cricketing shot. Nice story though