PDA

View Full Version : New Age: Bangladesh Player Preview

MohammedC
January 24, 2011, 04:49 PM
Roqibul Hasan:
Mr Dependable Roqibul

http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/thumbnail.php?file=20_01_2011_spt____04_758222566. jpg&size=article_medium

Born into a middle-class family in Jamalpur, Roqibul Hassan, the youngest one of nine siblings, burst onto the cricket scene when the Bangladesh Krira Shikkha Protishthan held a camp for the under-16 batsmen in his home town early in 2001. Roqibul never got his chance to study at the BKSP, but showed his class in the brief training camp that he attended at the sports academy and never looked back since. He was soon inducted into the Bangladesh Under-17 side and took no time to make his name as ‘Mr Dependable’ for his calm attitude. Roqibul, the first Bangladeshi to hit a triple-century in first class cricket, is one of the key members of the Bangladesh Under-19 team that forced the world to take look at them with their performance in a tri-series at home in 2005, also featuring England and Sri Lanka. He was one of the three Bangladeshis to hit a century in the tournament with Sakib al Hasan and Tamim Iqbal being other two names. He made his international debut against South Africa with an ODI in 2008 and soon became one of the most pampered boys of coach Jamie Siddons. Upset at being excluded from the 30-man provisional squad for the last ICC World Twenty20, Roqibul whimsically retired from international cricket, a decision which made everyone dumbfounded. He realised his mistake shortly and returned to the national fold three months later. ‘Really it’s a dream journey for me. I never thought I would come this far. I am thankful to Allah and my coaches for making me the cricketer I am. I will try to repay them with all my ability.’ said the right-hander.

http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/sports/5750.html

cricman
January 24, 2011, 04:52 PM
At this point of the cycle, I don't need know Player Preview

if you do need one, I might have to question your fan hood (Not Questioning yours Mo)

MohammedC
January 24, 2011, 04:53 PM
Shafiul Islam:
Smiling assassin Shafiul

http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/thumbnail.php?file=21_01_2011_spt____02_988792912. jpg&size=article_medium

His talent was spotted at a very tender age, but Shafiul Islam hardly had any idea that he would be able to come this far. He grew up watching India-Pakistan cricket and always wanted to play like his idol Wasim Akram. Seeing him performing regularly in tape-tennis cricket at his home ground at Balohati in Joypurhat, many neighbours advised him to get admitted to the Bangladesh Krira Sikkha Protishthan. But he did no dare to dream it as it was too expensive for his family. His mother kept inspiring him, but Shafiul was not getting any way to realise his dream. When he was just about to lose his interest in cricket Shafiul heard about Pink City Talent Hunt programme and decided to try his luck there. Former national cricketers conducted the programme in 2005-06 and they made no mistake in spotting him. Former national opener Hannan Sarkar took him to Brothers Union to play in Dhaka Premier League and it came as a real breakthrough. He caught the attention of the selectors when he became the highest wicket-taker in the league last season playing for Bangladesh Biman and was drafted into the national team straightaway. His ability with the bat, especially the half-century against Abahani which helped Biman tie the game coming from nowhere, also helped his selection. His first scoring shot in Test cricket was a six, which also evidenced his all-round ability. However, the smiling assassin, Shafiul, considers himself as an out and out fast bowler and wants to serve Bangladesh for as many days as possible. ‘I still have miles to go. Being a fast bowler fitness is my top priority as I want serve my country for a long period of time,’ said Shafiul.

http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/sports/5870.html

rinathq
January 24, 2011, 04:53 PM
Nice read :)
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

MohammedC
January 24, 2011, 04:57 PM
Imrul Kayes:
Effective if not effervescent

http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/thumbnail.php?file=24_01_2011_spt____02_595937863. jpg&size=article_medium

Opener Imrul Kayes and West Indian Desmond Haynes have a similarity as both were extremely talented opening batsmen and played a key role for their sides but the limelight was always hogged by their more illustrious partners. He was the leading one-day scorer for Bangladesh in 2010 with 867 runs. He was first introduced to batting when his father Mohammad Bani Amin Biswas made a bat for him when he was in primary school. He never dreamt of becoming a cricketer until he was picked to play for Meherpur against a Rajshahi academy team when after the match coach Tanzib Ahsan Saad told him to continue his game. This word of advice had such a long lasting effect on him that after passing the SSC exam he went to Rajshahi to complete his HSC and also to hone his skills at the that academy. He played for Young Pegasus in the third division league and scored a double century against BKSP in 2002 that paved his way to get into a first division team and then the Dhaka Premier League. Soon he was included in the academy team of Bangladesh and made his mark in a four-day match against South Africa Academy side in 2007 with a sparkling 152 runs in Jessore only to declare he was here to stay. He also scored 113 runs in a one-day game of that series to prove that both forms of the game suit him. ‘I want to play for the national side for a long time and someday want to lead the side,’ said Kayes.

http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/sports/6216.html

MohammedC
January 24, 2011, 05:00 PM
Mahmudullah Riyad:
Rich like Riyad

http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/thumbnail.php?file=25_01_2011_spt____02_371475366. jpg&size=article_medium

Muhamudullah Riyad, the youngest of three brothers, was brought up in a cricketing environment as his elder Emadullah played in the local cricket league of Mymensingh, who was also his first coach. He had won the man of the match award in the Nirman School Cricket final in 2000 where he was spotted by a local coach Sadek Hossain, who played for Victoria SC in the Dhaka league. Sadek took him to Alok Chakrabarty, a pace bowler of Biman who was then conducting a camp for the Under-15 cricketers of Mymensingh, and told him to give Mahmudullah a chance to practise in the nets. His performance in the nets allowed him to play in two practice match where he excelled both with bat and ball that got him a ticket to play at the Under-15 Asia Cup in Malaysia. He was also a part of the Under-19 World Cup team in Dhaka in 2004. He started to play for Kathalbagan in the second division in 2002 and got a chance to play in an under -19 trial match where he scored a century but yet could not get into the team. Jalal Ahmed Chowdhury, the then cricket coach of Dhanmondi Club, saw a potentiality in his tidy off-spin and powerful batting and picked him to play for the club in the Premier League in 2003. But the real breakthrough came in 2007 when he played for the Bangladesh Academy against the Pakistan Academy side when he got five wickets in a four-day match and also picked up five in the final of the Tri-nation Tournament, also involving Sri Lankan Academy. Though he was never a regular choice after making his ODI debut in 2007 and was dropped after the first series. He scored four consecutive centuries in the national league to stake a claim for a national call-up. But he cemented his place in the national side after the West Indies tour where he took eight wickets in his debut Test and since then he has played in all forms of cricket for the Tigers until he was dropped for the second one-day against Zimbabwe. ‘I thank all the coaches, especially Khaled Mahmud, who have kept faith with me and want to repay them with my performance,’ said Mahmudullah.

http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/sports/6343.html

akabir77
January 25, 2011, 09:09 AM
good read. keep them coming... MohammedC bhai.

Baundule
January 25, 2011, 09:50 AM
Mahmudullah Riyad: Rich like Riyad :D

So, Dollar: Strong like $
Rubel:cool like Cyberia
Rahim: the badshah
Tamim: pitaiya tama kore den shob
Ashraful: the risky man in business like dhutraful

Zunaid
January 25, 2011, 09:53 AM
You could just give the links and we can click through. Why work so hard Mo? (ps. thanks for info though)

jisaan
January 25, 2011, 10:41 AM
http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=35387

:confused:

aklemalp
January 25, 2011, 12:37 PM
i really like shafiul ,his bolwing action is sort of a west indian in it,but one thing is i think he needs to be more muscular

MohammedC
January 25, 2011, 04:13 PM
You could just give the links and we can click through. Why work so hard Mo? (ps. thanks for info though)

Sorry, DR Z.

I see Jisaan has already posted it earlier with different title. Can this thread be merged with his then I will delete my posts.

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=35387

:confused:

Tiger-ess
January 25, 2011, 04:32 PM
How come it doesnt mention anything about Mahmudullah's stay in the UK playing in Middlesex youth team(or something like that) ??

Zeeshan
January 25, 2011, 04:48 PM
Sorry, DR Z.

I see Jisaan has already posted it earlier with different title. Can this thread be merged with his then I will delete my posts.

Dont worry Mohammad bhai. It's festive mood here on bc. Bishta thread khullei bossra kisoo koibo na.

kalpurush
January 25, 2011, 05:24 PM
Dont worry Mohammad bhai. It's festive mood here on bc. Bishta thread khullei bossra kisoo koibo na.
Ha! Ha!! Zeeshan, upni paren -o !!!

cricket_fanatic
January 25, 2011, 10:32 PM
Off topic, but was the analogy between Imrul Kayes and Desmond Haynes required in that preview? The writer could have compared him to Gautam Gambhir if he wanted to give example of on an opening batsman being overshadowed by his partner. Haynes formed a legendary opening partnership with Gordon Greenidge during their heydays in the 80's and early 90's, scored 8000+ and 7000+ runs in ODIs and tests, respectively and held the record for the most centuries in ODIs (17) for a number of years.

Ananna
January 25, 2011, 10:55 PM
Off topic, but was the analogy between Imrul Kayes and Desmond Haynes required in that preview? The writer could have compared him to Gautam Gambhir if he wanted to give example of on an opening batsman being overshadowed by his partner. Haynes formed a legendary opening partnership with Gordon Greenidge during their heydays in the 80's and early 90's, scored 8000+ and 7000+ runs in ODIs and tests, respectively and held the record for the most centuries in ODIs (17) for a number of years.

I was thinking the same. Haynes Greenidge partnership qas one of the best opening partnership if not the best in the history of cricket.

BanCricFan
January 26, 2011, 04:59 AM
How come it doesnt mention anything about Mahmudullah's stay in the UK playing in Middlesex youth team(or something like that) ??

Not Middlesex. It was MCC (Marylebone Cricket Club) Young Cricketers internship Riyad took part in.

SS
January 26, 2011, 01:18 PM
Matin er ta koi...no porle rokto gorom hoitasena

MohammedC
January 26, 2011, 01:50 PM
Cricketer by chance

http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/thumbnail.php?file=27_01_2011_spt___02_714897961.j pg&size=article_medium

Naeem Islam has become cricketer by chance as he was admitted to the Bangladesh Krira Shikkha Protishthan in the gymnastics discipline in 1997 to fulfil his father Nazrul Islam’s wish to be a sportsman.
BKSP’s gymnastics coach Ekram Hossain discovered his cricketing potential after seeing him play in the recreational sport and asked Nazmul Abedin Fahim, the then cricket coach at BKSP, to take him under his care from the next year.
A top class fielder and a top-order batsman in his early days, he started to hone his skills as an off-spinner only when he moved to Brothers Union in 2005 after his performances as the skipper of the Bangladesh’s Academy side during the tour of Sri Lanka in 2002 where he led the batting average with 304 runs at 43.42 in six games.
He was also a part of the Bangladesh team that won the Plate Championship at the Under-19 World Cup in 2003-04. He made the highest score in the famous triumph in the Plate final over Australia, the defending champions. ‘I want to play with the best and beat the best,’ said Naeem.

http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/sports/6593.html

MohammedC
January 26, 2011, 01:52 PM
Second time lucky

http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/thumbnail.php?file=26_01_2011_spt___01_780462966.j pg&size=article_medium

Right-arm fast bowler Rubel Hossain wanted to quit cricket and concentrate on his studies as he was not getting the right kind of break he would have liked at the start of his career with the third division team Hillol Sporting Club in 2005. At that point in time GrameenPhone launched its first pacer hunt programme where he could not make his mark that prompted him to give up cricket. But at the insistence of his mother Robezan Bibi he tried his luck in the next year and grabbed the spotlight with his extraordinary pace, topping the speed gun. He joined the premier league side Victoria Sporting Club in 2007 and made his cricketing debut in the national league the same year, playing for Chittagong Division. Apart from cricket, he loves to ride bikes as it allows him to experience speed. Rubel was included in the Bangladesh’s Under-19 squad for the World Cup in 2008 and received a call-up to the Bangladesh one-day squad for the home series against Sri Lanka, in which he made an immediate impact picking up four wickets for 33 runs in the first match, and for the Zimbabwe tour the following year. He made his Test debut on the West Indies tour in 2009 and picked up three wickets in the first innings of the first Test. ‘I want to make a significant contribution so that it helps our team to the maximum,’ said Rubel.

http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/sports/6464.html

Banglaguy
January 27, 2011, 01:35 PM
http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/sports/6698.html
Consistently inconsistent

Mohammad Ashraful could not sleep for the whole night sensing the prospect of seeing his name in the newspaper the next morning as he was expecting a call into the Bangladesh Under-13 team for the trip to the Indian town of Shiliguri. He pored through several newspapers and found the squad list but his name was nowhere. This was a massive shock for Ashraful but he did not give up, largely because of his coach Wahidul Gani. Gani had a special eye on Ashraful ever since his cousin Afzal Ahmed Ponir took him to his Ankur Cricket Academy in 1996. Gani, a former national leg-spinner and a life-long bachelor, dedicated his entire life for producing cricketers and Ashraful was his best pick among the 60 students he had at his academy. Ashraful, despite his tiny size, could hit the ball as hard as anyone else even at that age which prompted Gani to take him to second division side Amarjyoti, a breeding ground for many other stars like Khaled Mahmud. Ashraful did not miss the Shiliguri bus next year and a man-of-the-tournament performance in the West Bengal district town helped him get a call-up for the Under-19 side as early as in 2000. He may be inconsistent these days, but it was his consistent run-making in domestic cricket and age-level competitions helped him get a national call-up before he had reached 17. His one-day debut has gone largely unnoticed but Ashraful took the world by storm on his Test debut, scoring a century against the likes of Muralitharan at his own den. It earned him two world records simultaneously – the youngest Test centurion and the youngest centurion on debut. The burden of expectation took a toll on him but Ashraful was always special on his day. His hundred against Australia in Cardiff and fifty against South Africa at the last World Cup are part of cricket folklore. Without him the history of Bangladesh cricket will also remain incomplete. His consistently inconsistent performance put his place in the side in jeopardy nowadays, but Ashraful has still remained a great asset for the Bangladesh team. ‘I hope this World Cup will turn things around for me. I just need one match-winning innings and everything will be changed for me,’ said Ashraful. — New Age

http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/sports/6698.html

rinathq
January 27, 2011, 07:46 PM
Haha love the heading :) ^^^
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

Banglaguy
January 29, 2011, 04:12 AM
http://http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/sports/6816.html
Born in a cricketing family Shahriar Nafees grew up watching his first cousin Faruque Ahmed. An educated cricketer, rare in the current bunch, he had a bitter experience at the beginning of his career when he could not make it into the squad for the Under-19 World Cup held in Bangladesh in 2004. Coach Richard McInnes had a clear disliking for him but Shahriar was not the one to break down. He grabbed the very first opportunity to show McInnes what he was going to miss by scoring a century against India in a warm-up game before the tournament started. In two years time Shahriar became a superstar in Bangladesh. His entrance to stardom came through the Test match against the then invincible Australia at Fatullah in 2006 when he scored a magnificent 138 runs and in the process hit mercilessly none other than possibly the greatest bowler of all time Shane Warne. Warne gave away 112 runs at an astonishing economy rate of 5.6 in his 20 overs to remain wicketless on the first-day- something never happened before or after in his career. Shahriar ended the calendar year making more than 1000 runs (1033) in ODIs, a feat which has never been repeated. In the absence of regular captain Habibul Bashar he led Bangladesh in a Twenty20 International against Zimbabwe in Khulna in the same year to earn the distinction of their first captain in the newer format of the game. His 17 fours in his unbeaten 123 against Zimbabwe in the ICC Champions Trophy in the year at Jaipur is still a Bangladesh record. Shahriar, tipped to be Bangladesh’s next captain, however, lost his way in World Cup 2007 scoring just 31 runs in six matches. Already in touch with rebel Indian Cricket League, he refused to travel to Australia in August 2008 and in two months time he was banned for 10 years for joining there. Good sense prevailed finally and he severed his tie with the ICL to see the ban lifted. He still needed to wait two years for his next ODI, ironically only because of an injury of Tamim Iqbal. He lost his place once Tamim returned but a good show in the Dhaka Premier League ensured he is not going to miss the World Cup at home like he did seven years ago. ‘My only aim is now to become regular in the side and I am working towards that goal,’ said Shahriar. — New Age

Holden
January 29, 2011, 08:00 AM
http://http://newagebd.com/newspaper1/sports/6816.html
Born in a cricketing family Shahriar Nafees grew up watching his first cousin Faruque Ahmed. An educated cricketer, rare in the current bunch, he had a bitter experience at the beginning of his career when he could not make it into the squad for the Under-19 World Cup held in Bangladesh in 2004. Coach Richard McInnes had a clear disliking for him but Shahriar was not the one to break down. He grabbed the very first opportunity to show McInnes what he was going to miss by scoring a century against India in a warm-up game before the tournament started. In two years time Shahriar became a superstar in Bangladesh. His entrance to stardom came through the Test match against the then invincible Australia at Fatullah in 2006 when he scored a magnificent 138 runs and in the process hit mercilessly none other than possibly the greatest bowler of all time Shane Warne. Warne gave away 112 runs at an astonishing economy rate of 5.6 in his 20 overs to remain wicketless on the first-day- something never happened before or after in his career. Shahriar ended the calendar year making more than 1000 runs (1033) in ODIs, a feat which has never been repeated. In the absence of regular captain Habibul Bashar he led Bangladesh in a Twenty20 International against Zimbabwe in Khulna in the same year to earn the distinction of their first captain in the newer format of the game. His 17 fours in his unbeaten 123 against Zimbabwe in the ICC Champions Trophy in the year at Jaipur is still a Bangladesh record. Shahriar, tipped to be Bangladesh’s next captain, however, lost his way in World Cup 2007 scoring just 31 runs in six matches. Already in touch with rebel Indian Cricket League, he refused to travel to Australia in August 2008 and in two months time he was banned for 10 years for joining there. Good sense prevailed finally and he severed his tie with the ICL to see the ban lifted. He still needed to wait two years for his next ODI, ironically only because of an injury of Tamim Iqbal. He lost his place once Tamim returned but a good show in the Dhaka Premier League ensured he is not going to miss the World Cup at home like he did seven years ago. ‘My only aim is now to become regular in the side and I am working towards that goal,’ said Shahriar. — New Age

thats not true, I've read the some of the posts that McInnes has made here and he has been gracious towards Shahriar, he even tipped him to be the next star and future captain of Bangladesh.

aklemalp
January 29, 2011, 10:02 AM
i really think ash would focus on this world cup and let the occassion bring out the best in him