PDA

View Full Version : Ashraful's head is in the right place...

Banglaguy
January 28, 2011, 02:36 PM
Mohammad Ashraful in an interview with Daily Star sport...

http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=171808
Mohammad Ashraful, the youngest Test centurion, and architect of memorable Bangladeshi wins, including one in the 2007 World Cup, talks to The Daily Star Sport about the World Cups he has played in, and what he expects from the one round the corner.

Daily Star Sport (DSS): How did it feel when you heard that you would play the 2003 World Cup?

Mohammad Ashraful (MA): I played in the national team for two years before the World Cup. I was very happy to be selected. I played the under-19 World Cup in 2000 in Sri Lanka, in New Zealand in 2002, and I played the Champions Trophy. But having never played an actual World Cup, I was really excited, and the aim was to play well.

DSS: But that aim was not fulfilled…

MA: Unfortunately that did not happen, it was a bad World Cup for us. We lost the first match against Canada, which was a very bad result for us. I wasn't playing in that game but I played all the others including the one against Sri Lanka, when I was part of Vaas's hattrick in the opening over.

DSS: How was the team atmosphere in South Africa?

MA: Everyone was upset. As a Test-playing country, the defeat to Canada in the opening game was a hard pill to swallow. And the following day being Eid-ul-Azha, we felt especially bad as we had disappointed the whole nation. We all hoped that we would win against Canada and Kenya at least, but we lost those two games. On a personal front, I got my first ODI fifty, against New Zealand, and it gave me satisfaction that I got my maiden ODI fifty in a World Cup match.

DSS: What was the better campaign?

MA: Obviously 2007, where we beat India and Bermuda in the first round, and South Africa in the second round. In that tournament my form was good too; I was man-of-the-match in two of our three victories.

DSS: What is your sweetest moment from 2007?

MA: Beating South Africa and winning the man-of-the-match award.

DSS: What are your expectations from the 2011 World Cup?

MA: I am hopeful, as we played well in the last World Cup, although then the format was different.

There were four groups then with three matches to each team in the first round, but now we have the opportunity to play six matches in the initial stage and we have to win four matches to play in the quarterfinals.

So we will try our best to perform well in the initial six matches.

In 2007 if we had played more matches in Guyana instead of Barbados in the second round, then I believe that we could have won two or three more matches. This time, since the World Cup will be played in our conditions, I think we have a very good chance.

From a personal point of view, I will try to emulate my performance in the last World Cup and be man-of-the-match in three or four matches.

ahms
January 28, 2011, 02:58 PM
That's what Tamim said ---

DSS: What is your expectation from the 2011 tournament?
TI: If we can play according to our ability, we can do well. I think our prime target will be to reach the second phase and take it from there.

Raynman
January 28, 2011, 03:02 PM
The tone of the responses seems to indicate that he will definitely be part of the playing XI.

roman
January 28, 2011, 03:04 PM
This thread will be another Super Duper Hit one

Naimul_Hd
January 28, 2011, 03:05 PM
Ash's head is in right place...only problem is with his brain which seems to be dysfunctional !

Banglaguy
January 28, 2011, 03:16 PM
All my threads are getting good responses... Looks like I'm a good news breaker :D

roman
January 28, 2011, 03:19 PM
All my threads are getting good responses... Looks like I'm a good news breaker :D

Carry on bro :)

Fazal
January 28, 2011, 03:26 PM
Ash's head in the right place?

I thoutht Ash's Gordaan is in right place.

Peform in this platform /(which is unlikely based on his recent performance for the national team), he is set for 5 more years.

On the other hand non-performance means out of the team for a while.... on 2nd thought may be not.... out for just one series.

May be the title should be Ash's Mamu is in right place.

simon
January 28, 2011, 03:28 PM
Ash er eishob news porte porte I lost my appetite.
I'm tired of all articles abt Ash,he will never change,he is hopeless.
And ya maybe his head is in right place but not his brain.
this guy is always in 2 minds.

bujhee kom
January 28, 2011, 03:32 PM
Eibar Bat-e ball-e khela bhalo jomey uthte baddho! Eibar at least 2ta century...amar keno jani money tantese Ash even 3-ta century-o kore felte parrey!

Zeeshan
January 28, 2011, 03:33 PM
http://i877.photobucket.com/albums/ab334/omega741/ashead.jpg

Nadim
January 28, 2011, 03:35 PM
lol Zeeshan da:lol:
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)

roman
January 28, 2011, 03:36 PM
Eibar Bat-e ball-e khela bhalo jomey uthte baddho! Eibar at least 2ta century...amar keno jani money tantese Ash even 3-ta century-o kore felte parrey!

Vai jan apnar ei kotha jodi shotti hoi tahole ami apnake toilakto moshlajukto vuna mangsho aar paratha khaoabo :)

Zeeshan
January 28, 2011, 03:42 PM
lol Zeeshan da:lol:

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)

[বাংলা]কিন্তু অভতর?[/বাংলা]

Banglaguy
January 28, 2011, 03:48 PM
Well atleast he isn't saying bangladesh have no chance.

Nadim
January 28, 2011, 03:54 PM
[বাংলা]কিন্তু অভতর?[/বাংলা]

ki?
mobile e bangla font pora jayna:s
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition

betaar
January 28, 2011, 03:56 PM
Is Ash going to make a record being the first Bangladeshi to play 3 world cup? I say we keep him, with his tender age, he still has 4 more WC in him and make a world record.

Banglaguy
January 28, 2011, 04:02 PM
Is Ash going to make a record being the first Bangladeshi to play 3 world cup? I say we keep him, with his tender age, he still has 4 more WC in him and make a world record.

I think ash's problem is not technical, nor physical nor related to talent. It's more confidence in the international stage.

bujhee kom
January 28, 2011, 04:05 PM
Well, his head might be in the right place, but his hands are always busy in the wrong place...that's how he gets out!

jisaan
January 28, 2011, 04:10 PM
Ash's head is in right place...only problem is with his brain which seems to be dysfunctional !

great observation:notworthy:

jisaan
January 28, 2011, 04:15 PM
Well, his head might be in the right place, but his hands are always busy in the wrong place...that's how he gets out!

hardly matters! it's all the same
the end result is he will again let us down when we need him most- that has been the trend of his game for the last few years barring 1/2 very rare occassions

irampool
January 28, 2011, 08:31 PM
ASH will fail in all the matches except the one against Holland, where he's gonna score a century, and that will cement his place for the next 2 World Cups.

BANFAN
January 28, 2011, 11:57 PM
If Ash can really change and perform well, that will be a big welcome bonus for our team.

Banglaguy
January 29, 2011, 03:07 AM
I remember reading Ash is just a bonus...

AsifTheManRahman
January 29, 2011, 06:24 AM

Ever consider becoming a MT opener?

Ash will probably play a fluke inning or two, win us a game and slip into hibernation for the rest of the tournament, and decade.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

Banglaguy
January 29, 2011, 11:32 AM
Ever consider becoming a MT opener?

Ash will probably play a fluke inning or two, win us a game and slip into hibernation for the rest of the tournament, and decade.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

Yeah, I sure don't mind becoming a match thread opener....
As a matter of fact, I'll open the thread for Bangladesh Vs Canada? How about it?

Well ash, on his eid ''Day'', is masterclass:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bHPtTFeC0Y0" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

On his normal day he is....:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zFxeONEyQoo" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

And please, can I be a match thread opener?

fuzzy
January 29, 2011, 11:52 AM
no need to interview this guy. his comments r not from his mind.

cricbangla
January 29, 2011, 12:46 PM
I can't agree more!

shafayeen
January 29, 2011, 07:33 PM
what i found most unimpressing was that he kept talking about man of the match, and his own goals. Cricket is not an individual game. if Ashraful cared for the team, played for the country, he would save his wicket with his life. If you get a chance to do play Ashraful, play for the country not for urself

Ajfar
January 29, 2011, 11:53 PM
^ did you read the question the journalist asked him? The question was ' what was your sweetest moment from 2007'? The guy asked him about his sweetest moment not the team. I like pickng on Ash just as much as the next guy but don't jump on the dude even when he didn't do anything wrong.

Read the interview again when the journalist asked him questions about the team he talked about the team. And the parts he was talking about his personal stuff the jounalist made it clear by saying 'on a personal front'.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

Jadukor
January 30, 2011, 12:20 AM
yep... from the photos i can confirm also that his head is indeed in the right place... the angle and alignment on his neck looks normal... but he still needs to see mashrafi's doctor david young so that his brain can be in the right place too...

jisaan
January 30, 2011, 01:20 AM
Ash's head in the right place?
joke of the year