PDA

View Full Version : Tamim wants the quarters and beyond...

Banglaguy
January 28, 2011, 03:57 PM
Our dashing opener has an interview with....
Daily Star Sport :)
http://www.thedailystar.net/newDesign/news-details.php?nid=171905

Tamim Iqbal took the World Cup by storm in 2007 through his stunning attack against India in the opening game. Since then, he has transformed his batting and is now the vice-captain of the Bangladesh team. Here is his account as said to The Daily Star Sport.

Daily Star Sport (DSS): How did it feel when you heard that you would play the 2007 World Cup?

Tamim Iqbal (TI): The team was to be announced at 2pm in the afternoon and I was waiting anxiously for the news at a friend's place.

I felt really big, as if I've done something in my life. It was a great feeling, absolutely fantastic.

DSS: What was your plan behind the 51 against India? Was it your idea to go for it?

TI: There wasn't any plan as such. I was actually wondering how I'd play a 140kmph ball! I had never faced that sort of face locally, sometimes from Mashrafe bhai but I never faced this kind of pace on a regular basis.

DSS: Any frustrating part of the World Cup…

TI: Before the World Cup, there was a tri-nation tournament but I failed in both matches there. I asked myself, 'Do I really deserve to be here?'

But Faruque bhai came up to me and told me not to worry and that I'd play all the matches. It was huge coming from a chief selector and it gave me a lot of confidence.

DSS: What was your best memory during the tournament?

TI: During the 2007 World Cup, the best memory for me was the South Africa win. Nobody really talks about this win too much and it is underrated as compared to the win against India.

They were the No 1 team at the time, but the way we played, it was just amazing. Ashraful bhai was brilliant. But it was a team effort and I think hardly ever does a plan work so well.

Dav (Whatmore) was telling us before the game that there is some pressure on Jacques Kallis regarding his strike-rate and true to the word, he tried to hit out and got out. It is important to execute the plan but I saw how it was done.

DSS: What is your expectation from the 2011 tournament?

TI: If we can play according to our ability, we can do well. I think our prime target will be to reach the second phase and take it from there.

bujhee kom
January 28, 2011, 03:59 PM
BanglaGuy bhai, apni kintoo ektar por ekta ei amazing thread-gula khultesen....super! Apni kothai lookiey chilen atodiin?

Banglaguy
January 28, 2011, 04:05 PM
BanglaGuy bhai, apni kintoo ektar por ekta ei amazing thread-gula khultesen....super! Apni kothai lookiey chilen atodiin?

Bhai, ami janto pare na. Ami dekla, emne oh dilay. Apna kemon aso bhai? Balo inshallah?

bujhee kom
January 28, 2011, 04:08 PM
Arrey BanglaGuy bhai, apni Sylheti naik? Ami Brahmanbariar (Bonbaira) manoos, amader dujoner accent kintoo almost same dada!

Banglaguy
January 28, 2011, 04:14 PM
Ami sylethi bhai, ami ek bare shudo basha bustam pari nah. :)

Rizvi
January 28, 2011, 04:42 PM
^lmao!

Banglaguy
January 28, 2011, 04:51 PM
^lmao!

lol, bhai, tura pari, but emne nonsense pari nah!

iDumb
January 28, 2011, 05:01 PM
bangla guy oshubidha nai - tura tura tei cholbe... In cricket, we all understand one dialect and that is Bangladesh shall take the cup...to drink sylheti tea from it or pee on it.. doesn't matter.. we want it.

And if you want it, TAKE IT!! (dexter reference)

Banglaguy
January 28, 2011, 05:04 PM
bangla guy oshubidha nai - tura tura tei cholbe... In cricket, we all understand one dialect and that is Bangladesh shall take the cup...to drink sylheti tea from it or pee on it.. doesn't matter.. we want it.

And if you want it, TAKE IT!! (dexter reference)

I can understand it kinda, but I'm only 15, and I'm doing it as a GCSE.

bujhee kom
January 28, 2011, 05:47 PM
I can understand it kinda, but I'm only 15, and I'm doing it as a GCSE.

That's excellent my dear Banglaguy bro! Welcome to BC and it is really nice to have you amongst us dear bro! And best of luck on your study and the GCSE! Your avatar shows you have a very kind and compassionate mind. Allah bless you brother!

irampool
January 28, 2011, 08:41 PM
@Banglaguy....forget about cricket, let's talk about studies. Don't take Physics when you get to GCE A Level...!!! It's a pain in the ***......I got taina tuina ''C'' in Physics...and glad that I got done with the painful A Level in January 2010.

Dilscoop
January 28, 2011, 08:50 PM
Daily Star Sport (DSS): How did it feel when you heard that you would play the 2007 World Cup?

Like that was a news for him

Ajfar
January 28, 2011, 09:18 PM
^ 2007 world cup was a news for him. He had recently made his debut for BD. There was no guarantee that he would get picked to be in the 15 man squad.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

BANFAN
January 29, 2011, 03:36 AM
Dav (Whatmore) was telling us before the game that there is some pressure on Jacques Kallis regarding his strike-rate and true to the word, he tried to hit out and got out. It is important to execute the plan but I saw how it was done.

So, Win against SA wasn't a fluke. Confirmed by tamim's statement. They had a plan and executed them, under DW.

We have failed to continue to play with a plan to win, there after. Winning wasn't the objective. But then Shakib's captaincy turned everything around and He started planning with the aim of winning. He made it look good and convinced the coaching staff and BCB. This last year (10) we have seen a very different BD than the initial couple of JS years.

I think, our team has forgotten the nightmarish situations of playing for losing and achieving lowered objectives. This unit under Shakib has gone through a lot and achieved reasonably well to enter into WC as a contender. Our team might surprise us and even themselves with their performance. Our team looks ready for crossing that line of being an inferior test playing nation. All the preconditions look perfectly met for performing beyond their known selves.

jahidus200
January 29, 2011, 03:41 AM
bring faruk back as selector , that will be really big and intelligent move by bcb

Banglaguy
January 29, 2011, 03:48 AM
@Banglaguy....forget about cricket, let's talk about studies. Don't take Physics when you get to GCE A Level...!!! It's a pain in the ***......I got taina tuina ''C'' in Physics...and glad that I got done with the painful A Level in January 2010.

I love physics! I started my A-levels early in maths... What college did you go bhai?

lamisa
January 29, 2011, 09:29 AM
^^^math is pretty easy!what modules are u taking?

Banglaguy
January 29, 2011, 11:26 AM
Modules? Oh, I did further Maths AS and A2