PDA

View Full Version : Mehrab Hossain signed for Blythe for North Staffs and South Cheshire League

Zunaid
January 29, 2011, 08:59 AM
Can someone elaborate on Blythe and the league?

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/sport/Cricket-Bangladesh-star-joins-Blythe/article-3158891-detail/article.html

BLYTHE have broken new boundaries by signing Bangladesh batsman Mehrab Hossain for the new North Staffs and South Cheshire League season.

The 23-year-old left-hander, who also bowls left-arm spin, will become the first Bangladesh player to feature in the league.

It is not the first time the Division One side have been trail-blazers when recruiting overseas players.

All-rounder Jehan Mubarak became the first Sri Lankan to play in the local league during his short stint at Cresswell Lane in 2006.

His success prompted an influx of cricketers from the island the following season, which included Ranil Dhammika's arrival at Blythe.

Director of cricket Mark Hammond believes Hossain's signing – coupled with the success of all-rounder Shakib-Al-Hasan at Worcestershire – could prompt more clubs to tap into the Bangladesh market.

"Mehrab is a quality player. He wants to be a trend-setter and help create opportunities for other Bangladeshis to play in the league," he said.

"Shakib's performances at Worcestershire have also helped open people's eyes to the impact they can make.

"We did the same with Jehan and Ranil. They were huge successes for us and Ranil has gone on to be an important player for Meakins.

"They paved the way for Sri Lankans to come over and play.

"Hopefully Mehrab can have the same impact."

Hossain has seven Test caps since making his debut against Sri Lanka, in Colombo, in 2007.

He scored 83 against New Zealand in only his second Test, and has also been capped 18 times at one-day level, along with two Twenty20 international appearances.

The Dhaka-born star has represented his country at under-19 and A team level, as well as captaining the academy side.

Hammond explained the rule change, which meant the league became 'open' in terms of paying players, had been a contributing factor to their decision to sign Hossain.

"Money has become no object for some of the bigger teams, which has forced smaller clubs to look at alternative ways of strengthening," added Hammond.

"Bangladesh players are good value.

"We contacted players at Premier and Division One level, but some were asking for silly money.

"Some people are having their heads turned by money, so we decided to go down the overseas route."

Blythe have also signed batsman Rory Bailey, from Leek, and are hoping to make further additions.

cricket_king
January 29, 2011, 09:09 AM
Good on him. Playing in England will hopefully make him a better player. I've always enjoyed the way he has attacked spinners. The conditions in England should allow him to refine his technique against pacers.

Tiger444
January 29, 2011, 10:04 AM
This is great news for Mehrab. It will definitely help him in the long run playing in England. Even though he hasn't been in the team for a while, he's still a very good prospect for us in tests. I would love our other national team players to join this league since it's unlikely they would get chances at the Division 1 and 2 level. Wish him all the best and hoping he does well.

Ajfar
January 29, 2011, 10:49 AM
Wow this a big step. Congrats Mehrab. Small opportuniyies like this will lead to bigger things for other players
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

_Rafi_
January 29, 2011, 02:15 PM
Shakib paved the way. Mehrab should thank Shakib.
Btw congrats to Mehrab. Hopefully that will help him to grow up as a better longer version player.

bujhee kom
January 29, 2011, 02:28 PM
Alhamdulillah! Congrats Mehrab Jr. This is indeed a great news! Great news for all Bangladeshi professional cricketers!

Cheers and best wishes to both Blythe and Mehrab Jr.

Rifat
January 29, 2011, 02:37 PM
Alhamdulillah! echo post #6 and i will be keeping a close eye on him ;)

in other words we will be tracking his progress.

He did score decent amount of runs in recent DPL.

Equinox
January 29, 2011, 05:07 PM
Nothing to get excited about IMO.

kalpurush
January 29, 2011, 06:17 PM
Its a great news for sure - for Mehrab and Bangladeshi cricketers as well. If he can make an impact which he will inshAllah, it will open the doors for others as well. Money is not a factor here - the great thing is that more and more Bangladeshi players will have the international experience, thus, will co-op with the national team better if they get selected for.

rashed411
January 29, 2011, 06:53 PM
I wish Nasir or Shabbir was picked as well..

Holden
January 29, 2011, 07:56 PM
This is good news, hopefully Mehrab gains experience and takes his game to another level. I wish some of the other Bangladeshi players would take a leaf out of his book and follow him into club cricket in England/Australia etc. Not everyone can get a County contract so players like Mushy, Shafiul and especially Ashraful could do a lot worse than play some club cricket, it would help improve their game, and maybe get them noticed by some of the counties.

jisaan
January 30, 2011, 01:09 AM
I wish Nasir or Shabbir was picked as well..

Oh, they are my words too!

But i want a few of our pacers playing in such leagues
Abul Hasan
Alauddin
Dollar
Subhasish..

BANFAN
January 30, 2011, 02:27 AM
Great News indeed. Wishing him all the best.

After this world cup in 2 years, i'm sure, our players will be everywhere in the world.

wiseshah
January 30, 2011, 03:51 AM
I think they know who is real player. Jr will be ideal for test team

lamisa
January 30, 2011, 09:40 AM
that's great to know.he's undoubtedly a good player but at the same time,i don't see him making it to the national team anymore.so it'sw good for him!

Tiger444
January 30, 2011, 12:41 PM
that's great to know.he's undoubtedly a good player but at the same time,i don't see him making it to the national team anymore.so it'sw good for him!

Can't write him off this early! He's only 23 so he has a lot of time left in his career and our batting especially in tests is still a question mark. So I still feel he has a chance to get back in the fold.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

Tiger-ess
January 30, 2011, 12:58 PM
I think Mehrab jnr has played in English cricket leauges before, so it will be very easy for him to adjust Im guessing. Anyway goodluck Mehrab Hossain Jnr.

simon
January 30, 2011, 01:01 PM
good luck Mehrab.

Tiger Manc
January 31, 2011, 09:24 AM
Where is Blythe???

MohammedC
January 31, 2011, 09:42 AM
Where is Blythe???

Stoke-on-Trent

http://blythe.play-cricket.com/home/aboutUs.asp

I think Hannan Sharkar once played for some clubs around that area.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

Eshen
February 1, 2011, 08:35 PM
http://nssc.play-cricket.com/home/home.asp.

This does not look any better than the village league where Ash played. Dozen or so players from Bangladesh each year participate in such leagues, some of them get good money for their service, others not so.

And please people, don't compare this with the county league (or Shakib's involvement with Worcs).

akabir77
February 1, 2011, 08:45 PM
btw mehrab is also becoming an us citizen... next summer I expect him to play with us (street cricket) if he is in usa... lol

Ajfar
February 1, 2011, 09:06 PM
^ Mrs. Mehrab ki amrican naki?

Rifat
February 1, 2011, 09:21 PM
http://nssc.play-cricket.com/home/home.asp.

This does not look any better than the village league where Ash played. Dozen or so players from Bangladesh each year participate in such leagues, some of them get good money for their service, others not so.

And please people, don't compare this with the county league (or Shakib's involvement with Worcs).

to a great extent i agree. However, it is not really about the league he played in, it is about the playing time he will get and the experience, the skill, the improvements he shall acquire. Remember, how Mohammad Ashraful greatly benefited from such experience. I see no harm in Mehrab doing the same :)

of course, no way this league should be compared with county. but this is definitely better than playing para cricket

Ajfar
February 1, 2011, 09:22 PM
Mehrab is not the only one who will be playing in this sort of leagues. Check this out

http://i54.tinypic.com/30thsuu.jpg

http://www.acecricketexchange.co.uk/players2011.htm

akabir77
February 1, 2011, 09:46 PM
^ Mrs. Mehrab ki amrican naki?
no mrs yet. he is becoming trough his mama...

Ajfar
February 1, 2011, 10:18 PM
^ bhai apni mehrab er mama naki?

lamisa
February 3, 2011, 10:40 AM
mehrab is married...

BANFAN
February 3, 2011, 12:38 PM
Mehrab is not the only one who will be playing in this sort of leagues. Check this out

http://i54.tinypic.com/30thsuu.jpg

These are great exposures for them. Even if the standard of cricket isn't all that great like counties. They need to learn much more than just cricket to become accomplished cricketers.

Good to see that list.

MohammedC
February 3, 2011, 01:16 PM

Great website you found there sy. In another page I see Alok, Tapash and Nafees Iqbal as available player for next season.

But mainly its full of Srilankan players. Most of the SL players are doing the coaching course at the same time.

http://www.acecricketexchange.co.uk/available2011.htm

MohammedC
May 21, 2011, 06:06 PM
Mehrab started well for his team Blyth CC. Scoring 79 runs and taking 2 wickets.

http://blythe.play-cricket.com/scoreboard/scorecard.asp?id=11174174

MohammedC
May 21, 2011, 06:12 PM
Rajin Saleh scored 16 and got 1 wicket. Cant find the scorecard. Found it from a friend.

Rabz
May 22, 2011, 12:22 AM
Good start by Mehrab.
Hope he carries this form throughout the league.

auntu
May 22, 2011, 01:18 AM
I hope they would dominate these minor county leagues.

MarvinDaMartian
May 22, 2011, 04:38 AM

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/sport/Cricket-Bangladesh-star-joins-Blythe/article-3158891-detail/article.html

I am also curious about these leagues. According to wikipedia ECB has:

- 18 professional county clubs playing in the county championship. These teams also play in various ODI and T20 tournaments.

Below that is the Minor Counties Cricket Championship. I think 19 counties play in this tournament. It is not accorded first-class status. These 19 minor counties also play a knock-out type ODI tournament. Currently one of the strongest 1st class team Durham was part of Minor counties until 1992, I think.

Below Minor Counties tournaments there are various club tournaments sponsored by ECB. These regionally based tournaments are called ECB Premier Leagues. ECB introduced it raise standard of club cricket in England. The clubs have mainly amateur and some semi-professional players.

North Staffs and South Cheshire League is one such tournament.

Counties organize local club-based tournaments which play as a selection stage to join the Premier leagues. There are sometimes up to four divisions of local cricket clubs.

I know of a team that is playing such a tournament in Essex. This team has all amateur players. It is now playing in the 1st division of the league arranged by Essex County. It was Davison 2 champion last year, Div 3 champion the year before, Div 4 the year before. Before joining the Essex league this team played in various non-Essex affiliated tournaments. At that stage they had Ehsanul Haq Sezan for one season. On a side note the next year he got turned down the UK Customs from the airport when he could not explain his purpose of arrival to the UK.

If this team can get promoted to premier league it will have to have a second XI playing in any of the lower division tournament.

This team at various stages had players who represented Bangladesh in U-15, 17 and one 1st class players (Sezan). These ex U-15, 17 players are now in the UK as overseas students.

Players from Bangladesh like these come to UK to play these leagues every year. I guess there is some financial incentive to it. Enamul Huq Jnr comes almost every year. I saw him on the plane in 2008 when I was going to Bangladesh. He was playing some league at that time and got called up for the national team.

Banglaguy
May 22, 2011, 06:32 AM
I am also curious about these leagues. According to wikipedia ECB has:

- 18 professional county clubs playing in the county championship. These teams also play in various ODI and T20 tournaments.

Below that is the Minor Counties Cricket Championship. I think 19 counties play in this tournament. It is not accorded first-class status. These 19 minor counties also play a knock-out type ODI tournament. Currently one of the strongest 1st class team Durham was part of Minor counties until 1992, I think.

Below Minor Counties tournaments there are various club tournaments sponsored by ECB. These regionally based tournaments are called ECB Premier Leagues. ECB introduced it raise standard of club cricket in England. The clubs have mainly amateur and some semi-professional players.

North Staffs and South Cheshire League is one such tournament.

Counties organize local club-based tournaments which play as a selection stage to join the Premier leagues. There are sometimes up to four divisions of local cricket clubs.

I know of a team that is playing such a tournament in Essex. This team has all amateur players. It is now playing in the 1st division of the league arranged by Essex County. It was Davison 2 champion last year, Div 3 champion the year before, Div 4 the year before. Before joining the Essex league this team played in various non-Essex affiliated tournaments. At that stage they had Ehsanul Haq Sezan for one season. On a side note the next year he got turned down the UK Customs from the airport when he could not explain his purpose of arrival to the UK.

If this team can get promoted to premier league it will have to have a second XI playing in any of the lower division tournament.

This team at various stages had players who represented Bangladesh in U-15, 17 and one 1st class players (Sezan). These ex U-15, 17 players are now in the UK as overseas students.

Players from Bangladesh like these come to UK to play these leagues every year. I guess there is some financial incentive to it. Enamul Huq Jnr comes almost every year. I saw him on the plane in 2008 when I was going to Bangladesh. He was playing some league at that time and got called up for the national team.

These are the teams I play with, like Regents park...

deshimon
May 22, 2011, 09:04 AM
Those is not a good competative tournamentn or leagu I think but good luck for the cricketers who come uk to play these league.

Banglaguy
May 22, 2011, 09:07 AM
Actually, it is pretty competetitive, as the teams who play better get better funding from the ECB

Nadim
May 22, 2011, 09:32 AM
I doubt they would l learn anything from this kind of league...given that they are int players....

MarvinDaMartian
May 22, 2011, 09:40 AM
btw mehrab is also becoming an us citizen... next summer I expect him to play with us (street cricket) if he is in usa... lol

Mehrab has to go through Permanent Residency stage first before becoming a US citizen. If he immigrates to the USA he should be a strong contender for a place in the US National Team.

lamisa
May 22, 2011, 09:45 AM
^^^ oh right! never thought of that.

MohammedC
May 22, 2011, 12:11 PM
Those who are thinking this tournament are Not competitive they should think twice. During the 80's and 90's and still now Srilankan young cricketers specially fringe players made living out of those small clubs.

Beside Mehrab is not playing for free.

al Furqaan
May 22, 2011, 12:40 PM
^ if they had Jehan Mubarak, it must be of a decent standard, perhaps even semi-professional. its certainly a level or two above Rainhill CC.

Huda
May 22, 2011, 04:32 PM
It's better than playing no cricket. Shows good desire by the cricketers to play some cricket outside their own comforts, can only benefit them in the future. Can't the standard being much lower than the NCl.

max410
May 22, 2011, 11:29 PM
atleast he will learn how to play proper cricket

Worldwide
May 23, 2011, 09:16 PM
Division 1 league cricket is rubbish. Club cricketers in Australia get better offers than what Mehrab is getting who is a test player. It shows you the respect England has for Bangladeshi players when they would rather pay Aussie or Saffa club cricketers, some of which arent even professional a lot more money to play in the premier divisions than Bangladeshi test players who end up playing lower divisions. It reflects the poor standard of Bangladesh cricket once they pass the under 19 level, when talent goes out the door and it all about mentality.

Most premier league clubs have aussies or south african players.

beshideshi
May 23, 2011, 09:50 PM
It's better than playing no cricket. Shows good desire by the cricketers to play some cricket outside their own comforts, can only benefit them in the future. Can't the standard being much lower than the NCl.

I disagree, the league Mehrab is playing is basically club cricket in England. Most of these players will never play first class, let alone test cricket.
On the contrary, NCL has a much better group of players. Specially the NCL final was a great game in my opinion. Overall the quality may not have been ideal, but the quality of players are increasing

Also, the only good thing about this stint could be that Mehrab is now exposed to English conditions, he will learn how to bowl in such conditions. And he is playing some cricket, rather than having nets. You always learn more in the middle than you do in the nets.

Nadim
May 24, 2011, 09:50 AM
Well said worldwide and beshi bhai. I play in division 2 cricket(one level away from enam/Jr but our team is doing well and may well promote to d1 next season), and the Outfield is so crap that u I have to think 100 times before diving to save a boundary. Plus, most of the ground have no pavilion, or even a proper dressing room...the only reason they gets paid coz of they have sponsorship money coming in unlike my team.

So, pls do some reserach before comparing ncl with these locals leagues
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)

Banglaguy
May 24, 2011, 11:46 AM
I hate it when people compare NCL to clubs like the one I play for. . . Just because NCL isn't perfect, does not make stuff in England below NCL better than it.

deshimon
May 24, 2011, 03:57 PM
Off course NCL is better than any other club cricket.

MohammedC
May 24, 2011, 04:17 PM
Well said worldwide and beshi bhai. I play in division 2 cricket(one level away from enam/Jr but our team is doing well and may well promote to d1 next season), and the Outfield is so crap that u I have to think 100 times before diving to save a boundary. Plus, most of the ground have no pavilion, or even a proper dressing room...the only reason they gets paid coz of they have sponsorship money coming in unlike my team.

So, pls do some reserach before comparing ncl with these locals leagues
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)

Nadim are you saying your club is better than Blythe CC. Have you seen their ground. You play in London right. Most of the surrounding county in London are in Division 2 (Surrey,Middx,Kent,Essex).

Whereas most of the team up north east/west are in Division 1 of county (Lancashire, Durham,Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire). Which shows the quality of cricket played up north.

Nadim you love cricket no doubt about it. The quality of ground outside London are far better than those in London. I am talking about club grounds. But there are some ground in London which are well look after.

BTW what team you play for. Londoners are mad about their football. Its all about Chesea,Arsenal,Spurs......and there is another team in London called Manchester United.

Banglaguy
May 25, 2011, 08:50 AM
London pitches aren't to great. Look at the Oval compared to old trafford for example.

MarvinDaMartian
May 25, 2011, 01:14 PM

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)

I had the oppurtunity to be there to some of these club games at 3-4 different venues. One had a bad outfield. Rest of those were very good. All fo them had proper dressing room with shower facilities, kitchen etc. I guess the quality of the facilities depend on councils maintaining them.

deshimon
May 25, 2011, 03:39 PM
I had the oppurtunity to be there to some of these club games at 3-4 different venues. One had a bad outfield. Rest of those were very good. All fo them had proper dressing room with shower facilities, kitchen etc. I guess the quality of the facilities depend on councils maintaining them.

exactly.