PDA

View Full Version : How To Manage World Cup Expectations

Ian Pont
February 6, 2011, 10:26 PM
JF and me have been doing many TV interviews recently about our personal expectations for the World Cup.

One things that has struck both of us is the questions focus a great deal on the MISTAKES of the Bangladesh team in the past, the things that can go wrong, the problems of not have a perfect side and the weaknesses. It is human nature to focus on problems I understand that. But it is also the duty and responsibility of coaches to back the players as individuals and give them confidence. And this means focusing on what can go RIGHT.

But let's tell some home truths:

We are ranked at 8 in the current ODI table - a decimal point above the West Indies for the FIRST TIME in BD history! This is much to cheer about, but it is only eighth. That means IF all matches went to form according to the ICC table, we would make the Quarter Finals (eight) and go no further. However, the table doesn't take into account three factors.

1. The World Cup is the World Cup and highly unpredictable results happen for and against teams
2. The World Cup is in our own country, on our own pitches and in front of our own fans
3. The Bangladesh Team is rising in standard and is the most improved side in World Cricket according to the increase in points total (44 points to 66 - a huge 50% rise in performance that no other team has managed in recent times).

These are FACTS. This is not wishful thinking.

The first point above is almost as important as the second point. the smaller countries can upset the odds. They are trying to. They are planning to pull off some shocks. Let's hope it is the other teams above us that suffer them.

So where does all this leave us? It leaves us with the fact we should all WISH and HOPE for success at the WC. We are not in it to come 8th. We are in it to win it. That doesn't mean we will win it. It just means we THINK we have a chance to win it, in the same way the other 13 countries do. Fans in all those countries are daring to dream the same as we are, but only one team will be right. It doesn't make us stupid or foolish, unprofessional or unrealistic to talk things up. It makes us emotional. And emotion when harnessed can achieve greatness. Emotion can also be destructive. It's how to use emotion that is the key to success.

If we do not make the last eight it doesn't make us a POOR team. If we win the WC it doesn't make us a GREAT team. Great teams take years to build.

So your expectation should be that the team will go and give 100% in every match and then we will see what happens. The World Cup is unpredictable. That's what makes it so exciting. Can we beat any team on any given day? YES. It doesn't mean we will though, it just means we can and we might.

JF and me will be talking up our chances at this WC because we believe this current squad has the best chance of doing something. We fully support ALL our players and we fully back them in their quest to go out and do themselves and Bangladesh proud.

But there is a big man upstairs who decides on the fate of all of us. All we can do as mortals is give it our best shot and see.

This is going to be a great WC and whatever happens we aim to put on a show.

al Furqaan
February 6, 2011, 10:29 PM
well said, Coach, well said.

The time has come...

cricket_pagol
February 6, 2011, 10:42 PM
Agree with you coach, but when Jamie says that we have to produce something special to qualify for the quarter finals, it is demoralizing for the fans because we believe that if our boys play their natural game then we will be able to qualify to the quarter finals.

Eshen
February 6, 2011, 10:45 PM
Top post, coach :up::up:

As Ian pointed out, we should not put much importance to the ranking. What matters most is - we have an improving side that will take on other teams on our home grounds!

I hope JS will get the message (though I don't expect that will happen).

Zeeshan
February 6, 2011, 10:49 PM
Agree with you coach, but when Jamie says that we have to produce something special to qualify for the quarter finals, it is demoralizing for the fans because we believe that if our boys play their natural game then we will be able to qualify to the quarter finals.

Our professional coaches know what they are doing. It's not just about having to 'play their natural game' or else anyone could have just walked out with a trophy and won't need coaching.
---
And an excellent speech from coach btw. =)

Shartaz
February 6, 2011, 10:50 PM
Exactly this is what we need...some measured, sound optimism and a sounding board to inspire our players...

this doesn't mean we should get delusional about our chances...

This is much better than the blunt negativity and resigned-to-your-fate stuff from our Head Coach Jamie Siddons.....

Compare this to what Jamie Siddon is saying
http://banglacricket.com/alochona/showthread.php?t=35585- the age old- 'lower the expectation' strategy...its used by politicians a lot

Murad
February 6, 2011, 11:16 PM
So your expectation should be that the team will go and give 100% in every match and then we will see what happens. The World Cup is unpredictable. That's what makes it so exciting. Can we beat any team on any given day? YES. It doesn't mean we will though, it just means we can and we might.

Well said, coach. this is what I want to see. Give your 100%. Play positively. Win/loss is part of the game. During the Asia cup in June 2010, we saw our team given up very easily. They didn't go for the win but to bat out 50 overs.

I hope Siddons can learn a few things from you and Fountain.

cricket_pagol
February 6, 2011, 11:17 PM
Our professional coaches know what they are doing. It's not just about having to 'play their natural game' or else anyone could have just walked out with a trophy and won't need coaching.
---
And an excellent speech from coach btw. =)

Dude, I meant their current form, and our wonderful coaches definitely made contributions in developing our players!

ahms
February 6, 2011, 11:22 PM
JF and me have been doing many TV interviews recently about our personal expectations for the World Cup.

One things that has struck both of us is the questions focus a great deal on the MISTAKES of the Bangladesh team in the past, the things that can go wrong, the problems of not have a perfect side and the weaknesses. It is human nature to focus on problems I understand that. But it is also the duty and responsibility of coaches to back the players as individuals and give them confidence. And this means focusing on what can go RIGHT.

But let's tell some home truths:

We are ranked at 8 in the current ODI table - a decimal point above the West Indies for the FIRST TIME in BD history! This is much to cheer about, but it is only eighth. That means IF all matches went to form according to the ICC table, we would make the Quarter Finals (eight) and go no further. However, the table doesn't take into account three factors.

1. The World Cup is the World Cup and highly unpredictable results happen for and against teams
2. The World Cup is in our own country, on our own pitches and in front of our own fans
3. The Bangladesh Team is rising in standard and is the most improved side in World Cricket according to the increase in points total (44 points to 66 - a huge 50% rise in performance that no other team has managed in recent times).

These are FACTS. This is not wishful thinking.

The first point above is almost as important as the second point. the smaller countries can upset the odds. They are trying to. They are planning to pull off some shocks. Let's hope it is the other teams above us that suffer them.

So where does all this leave us? It leaves us with the fact we should all WISH and HOPE for success at the WC. We are not in it to come 8th. We are in it to win it. That doesn't mean we will win it. It just means we THINK we have a chance to win it, in the same way the other 13 countries do. Fans in all those countries are daring to dream the same as we are, but only one team will be right.

If we do not make the last eight it doesn't make us a POOR team. If we win the WC it doesn't make us a GREAT team. Great teams take years to build.

JF and me will be talking up our chances at this WC because we believe this current squad has the best chance of doing something. We fully support ALL our players and we fully back them in their quest to go out and do themselves and Bangladesh proud.

But there is a big man upstairs who decides on the fate of all of us. All we can do as mortals is give it our best shot and see.

Spot on coach.

AsifTheManRahman
February 6, 2011, 11:24 PM
So JS is immortal?
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

MarufH
February 6, 2011, 11:27 PM
Well said. Good luck tigers! :up:

MarufH
February 6, 2011, 11:29 PM
So JS is immortal?
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

Lol... ahemm... I think he is talking about God...

oh wait.. are you being sarcastic?

Jadukor
February 6, 2011, 11:35 PM
I don't really see why so many of you are upset with JS for saying we will need something special to qualify to the next round... I think he is simply trying to take the pressure off from the players to allow them to play their natural game.... Saying we would win the worldcup might delight us fans but it would add unnecessary pressure on a young side already feeling the heat from the media spotlight and fan euphoria... Coaches playing down chances of a team is just an old ploy to keep things under control.

I am sure He knows and we fans know as well that this bangladesh team is much stronger than the side of 2007... We now have a matured Tamim Iqbal with incredible talent... a solid opening partner in Kayes... we have Shakib arguably the best captain and cricketer in BD history and for the first time we are going with two genuine fast bowlers along side our triple spin attack...

We are a much improved side now who is no longer dependent on single players like Ashraful, Aftab etc ... and in this worldcup we have done all the basics right... we won two series back to back to gain momentum... picked the 15 who performed in the domestic league and importantly picked a side that will field brilliantly... so as far as preparation is concerned i don't think we could have done anything else to increase our chances...

My expectation is simple... fight hard in every game till the last ball is bowled... if the results still doesn't come our way it's okay... because this worldcup is only a begining of greater things to come....

Ian Pont
February 6, 2011, 11:46 PM
I don't really see why so many of you are upset with JS for saying we will need something special to qualify to the next round... I think he is simply trying to take the pressure off from the players to allow them to play their natural game.... Saying we would win the worldcup might delight us fans but it would add unnecessary pressure on a young side already feeling the heat from the media spotlight and fan euphoria... Coaches playing down chances of a team is just an old ploy to keep things under control.

I am sure He knows and we fans know as well that this bangladesh team is much stronger than the side of 2007... We now have a matured Tamim Iqbal with incredible talent... a solid opening partner in Kayes... we have Shakib arguably the best captain and cricketer in BD history and for the first time we are going with two genuine fast bowlers along side our triple spin attack...

We are a much improved side now who is no longer dependent on single players like Ashraful, Aftab etc ... and in this worldcup we have done all the basics right... we won two series back to back to gain momentum... picked the 15 who performed in the domestic league and importantly picked a side that will field brilliantly... so as far as preparation is concerned i don't think we could have done anything else to increase our chances...

My expectation is simple... fight hard in every game till the last ball is bowled... if the results still doesn't come our way it's okay... because this worldcup is only a begining of greater things to come....

This is also well said. I agree with everything you say.

Jamie Siddons mantra is 'play without fear'. He has been telling the guys to do that since I arrived. He encourages them to go out and express themselves. We have probably the biggest match of the WC rounds first against India. But the team is not under pressure because India are favourites. It means we can go and play without fear as we have beaten them before.

You have to believe in yourself to play without any fear whatsoever. The team are starting to think like that.

BANFAN
February 7, 2011, 12:00 AM
Well, the uncertainities associated to expectations are well understood. If we can beat india out of world cup 4 years back, then anything can happen and that uncertainity gives us a chance to play for the cup. If it happens that would be great, if it doesnt that may be good/bad.

What makes the fans go crazy, is when the team plays poorly and lose before actually playing the match. That attitude really cracks up some fans to cross limits. But I'm sure, the fans are much more matured now than 10 years back. That's why all the fans are sticking to the team through all the bad days in last 10 years.

So, if the team loses fighting & playing well, is very much acceptable although winning is prefered but we cannot win all the matches we play. Just expect the team to play to their potentials and play with the attitude of winning, till the last ball. A new & upcoming team like Bangladesh, depends heavily on the coaching staff's attitude, since they are the most experienced guys around & we don't have long cricketing culture & as such lack capable mentors at home. I'm happy to see that you and JF are doing that nicely; this was the biggest complain of the fans against JS in the previous years. I hope he gets his tone right this time.

Hope we achieve our aims in this world cup and be sure the fans will be with the team in every situation. If we could stick to the team for last 10 years, we have no reason to get impatient while the team is clearly improving. Just will be sad, if we dont make it to the QF :-)

ahnaf
February 7, 2011, 01:41 AM
This is also well said. I agree with everything you say.

Jamie Siddons mantra is 'play without fear'. He has been telling the guys to do that since I arrived. He encourages them to go out and express themselves. We have probably the biggest match of the WC rounds first against India. But the team is not under pressure because India are favourites. It means we can go and play without fear as we have beaten them before.

You have to believe in yourself to play without any fear whatsoever. The team are starting to think like that.

peoples should watch that...

PoorFan
February 7, 2011, 01:55 AM
... Hope we achieve our aims in this world cup and be sure the fans will be with the team in every situation. If we could stick to the team for last 10 years, we have no reason to get impatient while the team is clearly improving. Just will be sad, if we dont make it to the QF :-)
Are you sure? That makes you unqualified to open a thread/debate titled "It's the Coach; Stupid !!!" after WC?!:o

bujhee kom
February 7, 2011, 01:56 AM
Also during this WC to calm myself, in order to keep my cool, I am doing a lot of yoga + I am taking long deep breath and consumming a lot of extra chamomile tea!

Naimul_Hd
February 7, 2011, 03:36 AM

Gem of a post ! :notworthy:

Night_wolf
February 7, 2011, 04:08 AM

jadukor vai..top post..last line sums the post briliantly and we should all remember this

cricket_pagol
February 7, 2011, 04:13 AM

This is truly our expectation from the team, thanks for your thoughtful post!!!

tiger_omar
February 7, 2011, 05:17 AM
Agreed with the last 3 posts which means that I also think Jadukor bhai wrote a top post above. Very well said!

Baundule
February 8, 2011, 08:48 AM
For me, I care more about what is not expected. A few of them go in the list below:

1) Sissy attitude; i.e., playing for an honorable defeat.
2) Playing with a target of 240. No matter what the match situation is.
3) Playing for personal improvement, where win/loss does not matter
4) Imrul mimicing Javed Omar Golla
5) Wicket keeper smiling after dropping a lolipop catch of a set batsman
6) Powerplay? what!
7) The coach doing the captaincy

I do not even mind losing a match to Ireland if they outplay us. I will be happy if we do our part right.

Mahir
February 8, 2011, 10:28 AM
Ameen to Ian's words... and Jadukor's pot.

timidtiger
February 8, 2011, 11:29 AM
I've just been reading this cricket world cup tips blog (http://betting.betfair.com/cricket/cricket-world-cup/cricket-world-cup-winner-betting-a-shootout-betwee-070211.html) and I think a lot of things are in our favour this time around, especially the pitches! But it is true, we must play our best all the time and that is all we can ask.

Zeeshan
February 8, 2011, 12:39 PM
Also during this WC to calm myself, in order to keep my cool, I am doing a lot of yoga + I am taking long deep breath and consumming a lot of extra chamomile tea!

Bhai try ylang-ylang too.

Roni_uk
February 8, 2011, 08:59 PM
I was getting goose bumps reading some of the posts. Just can't wait until the 19th. I think I will go crazy if it doesn't come any faster!

Thanks Ian.

al-Sagar
February 9, 2011, 12:00 AM
every team has right to play well .... like bangladesh can play well all other teams can play well. some times BD will play well but the opponent will play better and we will lose.

so all we can expect is that we maintain our good game and then it does not matter what is the result. luck is still a big part in these games.

SS
February 9, 2011, 12:22 AM
Great post coach and all fellow members...even I started to dream big...hehe

babubangla
February 9, 2011, 02:54 AM
[বাংলা]
ভাবানুবাদ

আমরা- বোলিং কোচ আমি ইয়ান পন্ট এবং ফিল্ডিং কোচ জুলিয়ান ফাউন্টেইন- ইদানিং টিভি আর পত্রিকাতে বিশ্বকাপে বাংলাদেশ দলের সম্ভাবনা আর প্রত্যাশা নিয়ে অনেক সাক্ষাতকার দিচ্ছি। একটা বিষয় আমরা লক্ষ্য করেছি যে, সাক্ষাতকারের বেশীর ভাগ প্রশ্নই থাকে অতীতে বাংলাদেশ দলের নানা ব্যর্থতার ইতিহাস এবং আসন্ন বিশ্বকাপে সে সব ব্যর্থতার পুনরাবৃত্তির আশঙ্কা নিয়ে। আরো প্রশ্ন থাকে আমাদের দলের নানা দুর্বলতা নিয়ে কিংবা দল নির্বাচন সঠিক হয়েছে কিনা সে বিষয়ে।এসব প্রশ্নের কারনে আমাদের বিরূপ কিছু মনে করিনা। কারন ঘর পোড়া গরু সিঁদুরে মেঘ দেখে যেমন ভয় পায়, তেমনি নানা দুর্বলতা বা হতাশার আশঙ্কা নিয়ে চিন্তিত থাকা আমাদের মানবিক প্রকৃতিরই একটা অংশ। তবে এটাও সত্য যে দলের খেলোয়াড়দের প্রেরণা ও সাহস জোগানো কোচ হিসেবে আমাদের দায়িত্ব। আর এই দায়িত্বের একটা অবিচ্ছেদ্দ্য অংশই হলো সব আশঙ্কা ও নেতিবাচক চিন্তা মন থেকে ঝেড়ে ফেলে আগামী দিনের উজ্জ্বল সম্ভাবনাকে খেলোয়াড়দের চোখের সামনে তুলে ধরা। দলের মাঝে একটা একটা ইতিবাচক দৃস্টিভঙ্গি গড়ে তোলাকে আমরা আমাদের কর্তব্য বলেই মনে করি।

এই লম্বা ভুমিকার ইতি টেনে আসুন প্রমানিত সত্যের দিকে দৃস্টি ফেরানো যাক। আমরা এখন ওডিআই র‍্যাঙ্কিং অনুযায়ী বিশ্বের আট নম্বর সেরা দল। বাংলাদেশের ক্রিকেট ইতিহাসে এই প্রথম বারের মত আমরা ওয়েস্ট ইন্ডিজের চেয়ে সামান্য ভগ্নাংশ ব্যবধানে এগিয়ে গেছি। তবে র‍্যাঙ্কিং-এ অষ্টম স্থান নিয়ে এত গর্বের কিছুও নেই। আর যাই হোক এটা সবে মাত্র অষ্টম স্থান! বিশ্বকাপে যদি সব কিছু এই র‍্যাঙ্কিং অনুসারে চলে, তার মানে এই যে আমাদের অন্ততঃ কোয়ার্টার ফাইনালে খেলা উচিত। আবার এই র‍্যাঙ্কিং অনুযায়ী সব চললে আমাদের কোয়ার্টার ফাইনালের চেয়ে আর এক পাও বেশী না এগিয়ে ঠিক অষ্টম স্থানটাই পাওয়া উচিত। তবে র‍্যাঙ্কিংই সব চেয়ে শেষ কথা নয়। এসব র‍্যাঙ্কিং ফ্যাঙ্কিং তিনটি গুরুত্বপুর্ন তথ্য হিসাবে আনতে ভুলে যায়ঃ

১) এটা বিশ্বকাপ। এখানে কোন দল যেমন দারুন অপ্রত্যাশিত ঘটনা ঘটিয়ে দিতে পারে, তেমনি কোন কোন দলকে এই অনাকাঙ্খিত অপ্রত্যাশিত ঘটনার শিকার হয়ে যেতে হতে পারে।

২) এবারের বিশ্বকাপ হচ্ছে বাংলাদেশের নিজের মাটিতে। বাংলাদেশ দল খেলবে নিজেদের আপন পরিবেশে এবং সাথে থাকবে স্টেডিয়ামে সমবেত বাংলাদেশের হাজারো মানুষের প্রানঢালা উচ্চকিত সমর্থন।

৩) পারফর্মেন্সের উন্নতি ও অগ্রগতির ধারা হিসাবে নিলে বাংলাদেশ দল এই বিশ্বের সবচেয়ে অগ্রগামী দল। র্যা ঙ্কিং পয়েন্ট হিসাবে সাম্প্রতিক সময়ে বাংলাদেশ দল ৪৪ পয়েন্ট থেকে দ্রুত উঠে এসেছে ৬৬ পয়েন্টে। বিশ্বের আর কোন দলই এত কম সময়ে তাদের পারফর্মেন্সের এতখানি উন্নতি ঘটাতে পারেনি। অর্থাৎ বাংলাদেশের ক্রিকেট সবার অগোচরেই অনেকখানি এগিয়ে গেছে দৃপ্ত পদক্ষপে।

আমি যে তিনটি বিষয় তুলে ধরলাম- তার প্রতিটি কথাই নিখাদ রগরগে সত্য। এখানে আবেগ বা বিলাসী কল্পনার কিছু নেই। তবে নিজের মাটিতে খেলার বিশাল সুবিধা যেমন আমাদের আছে, তেমনি আমরা নিজেরাও হয়ে যেতে পারি অন্যদলের ঘটানো অপ্রত্যাশিত ঘটনার শিকার। বিশ্বকাপে নিচুসারীর যে কোন দলই তাদের চেয়ে উচুসারীর দলকে হারিয়ে দিয়ে চমক জন্ম দেয়ার চেষ্টায় থাকবে। আমরা নিজেরাই কেবল চমকের জন্ম দিবো, কিন্তু অন্য দলের চমকের শিকার হবো না- এটাই হোক আমাদের দৃঢ় প্রত্যাশা।

এতসব আলোচনা তাহলে কোথায় গিয়ে দাঁড়ায়? সব চেয়ে শেষ কথা হলোঃ পারফর্মেন্সের বিচারে আমরা অনায়াসে আমাদের দলকে নিয়ে আশাবাদী হতে পারি। আমাদের সবার উচিত বাংলাদেশ দলকে নিয়ে আশাবাদী হওয়া এবং বিশ্বকাপে কাঙ্খিত সাফল্যের জন্য দলের প্রতি শুভকামনা রাখা। বিশ্বকাপে সামান্য অষ্টম স্থান পাবার লক্ষ্য নিয়ে আমরা খেলবো না। আমরা খেলবো এই দেশের মানুষের হাতে বিশ্বকাপ শিরোপা তুলে দেয়ার জন্য। তার মানে এই নয় যে, আমরা বিশ্বকাপ শিরোপা জিতবোই। বরং এর মানে এটাই, প্রতিটি খেলায় আমরা মাঠে নামবো এটুকু বিশ্বাস বুকে বেঁধে যে ভারত, অস্ট্রেলিয়া, ইংল্যান্ড কিংবা অন্য যে কোন দলের মতো বিশ্বকাপ শিরোপা জয়ের সম্ভাবনা আমাদেরও আছে। অন্য দেশের মানুষ যদি বিশ্বকাপ জয়ের স্বপ্ন দেখতে পারে, তবে সেই স্বপ্নের অধিকার এই বাংলাদেশের মানুষেরও আছে। শুধু একটি দেশই পারবে তাদের স্বপ্ন সত্যি করে তুলতে, আর বাকি সব দেশের মানুষের স্বপ্ন শুধু স্বপ্নই থেকে যাবে। আমি শুধু দৃঢ়তার সাথে এটুকুই বলে দিতে চাইঃ আর সবার মতো বাংলাদেশও এই স্বপ্নের দাবীদার। বিশ্বকাপ শিরোপা জয়ের স্বপ্ন দেখা কোন বোকামী, মুর্খতা বা অপেশাদারিত্বের পরিচয় নয়। এটা আমাদের বাস্তবতা বিবর্জিতও করে তোলে না। বরং এই স্বপ্ন আমাদের আবেগকে জাগিয়ে তোলে। আর প্রজ্ঞার সাথে যারা বুকে লালন করে তীব্র আবেগ, তারাই কেবল পারে বিশাল কিছু অর্জন করতে। আমি বিশ্বাস করি, আবেগ যেমন ভুল আমাদের পথে নিয়ে যেতে পারে, তেমনি হৃদয়ে তীব্র আবেগ ছাড়া কোন সফলতাই অর্জন করা যায়না।

সবার প্রত্যাশা অনুযায়ী কোয়ার্টার ফাইনালে পৌছতে না পারলেই যে আমরা বাজে দল হিসাবে প্রমানিত হবো তা নয়। একই ভাবে আমরা যদি চমক দেখিয়ে বিশ্বকাপ শিরোপা জিতেও নেই, তার মানে এই নয় যে আমরা রাতারাতি বিশ্বের সেরা দল হয়ে গেলাম। শ্রেষ্ঠত্ব কেবল একটা টুর্নামেন্ট জিতেই অর্জন করা যায় না, শ্রেষ্ঠত্ব অর্জিত হয় বছরের পর বছর সাফল্যের পথ ধরে।

সুতরাং বাংলাদেশের মানুষের প্রত্যাশা এটুকু হওয়া উচিত যে তাদের দল প্রতিটি খেলায় সামর্থ্যের শেষবিন্দু দিয়ে লড়বে। তারপর দেখা যাবে কি হয়। বিশ্বকাপ অনিশ্চয়তার খেলা। এই অনিশ্চয়তাই জন্ম দেয় বিশ্বকাপকে ঘিরে এতো উত্তাপ আর উত্তেজনা। যদি প্রশ্ন করেন, কোন একটি দিনে বিশ্বের যে কোন দলকে আমরা হারিয়ে দিতে পারে কিনা। আমার উত্তর হবেঃ জ্বী, এখন বিশ্বের যে কোন শক্তিশালী দলকেই আমরা হারিয়ে দিতে পারি। তার মানে এই নয় যে বিশ্বকাপে আমরা বিশ্বের যে কোন শক্তিশালী দলকেই হারিয়ে দিবো। আমারা এই কথার মানে কেবল এই যে – যে কাউকে হারিয়ে দেয়ার সামর্থ্য আমাদের আছে।

আমাদের প্রধান কোচ জেমি সিডন্সের মুল মন্ত্রই হলে “শঙ্কাহীন চিত্তে খেলো”। বাংলাদেশে পা রাখার পর থেকেই আমি তাকে এই কথাটাই বারবার বলতে শুনেছি। জেমি দলের প্রত্যেক খেলোয়াড়কে উদ্বুদ্ধ করে মাঠে নেমে সকল শঙ্কা ঝেড়ে ফেলে সাহসিকতার সাথে নিজের খেলাটা খেলতে। বিশ্বকাপের প্রথম রাউন্ডে আমাদের সবচেয়ে বড় খেলাটাই হলো ভারতের সাথে। এবারে ভারতের শক্তিমত্তার কথা ভেবে আমাদের দল মোটেও চিন্তিত নয়। বরং আমাদের দল প্রথম দিনই মাঠে নামবে সাহসিকতার সাথে ভারতকে পরাজিত করতে, ঠিক যেমন আগেও আমরা তাদের করেছি। বিশ্বকাপে আমাদের খেলোয়াড়েরা ঠিক এই শঙ্কাহীন চিত্তের মন্ত্রেই উদ্দীপিত। সব শঙ্কা দূর করতে প্রথমেই প্রয়োজন নিজের উপর বিশ্বাস। বাংলাদেশ দল গড়ে উঠেছে আত্নবিশ্বাসে বলীয়ান একটি দল হিসাবে।

বিশ্বকাপ শুরুর প্রাক্কালে তাই আমার আর জুলিয়ান ফাউন্টেইন এর দায়িত্ব বিশ্বকাপে আমাদের দলের দারুন সম্ভাবনা বার্তা মানুষের কাছে পৌছে দেয়া। বাংলাদেশ দলের প্রতি আস্থা রাখুন। আমরা বিশ্বাস করি, আপনাদের এই দল এবার দেশের মানুষের আস্থার প্রতিদান দেয়ার সামর্থ্য রাখে। আবারো বলছি, বাংলাদেশ দলের পাশে থাকুন আর সমস্ত শক্তি দিয়ে তাদের উদ্দীপিত রাখুন। তারা মাঠে নেমে নিশ্চয়ই বাংলাদেশের জন্য অনন্য সন্মান বয়ে আনবে।

পরিশেষে এটুকু মনে করিয়ে দিয়ে চাই, সমস্ত কিছুর ক্ষমতা মহান শক্তিমান একজনের যিনি উপরে বসে সারা বিশ্বের সবার নিয়তি নিয়ন্ত্রন করেন। সীমিত সামর্থ্যের মানুষ হিসেবে আমাদের করনীয় এটুকুই যে নিজের সেরা সামর্থ্য ঢেলে চেষ্টা করা এবং মহান শক্তিমানের আনুকুল্যের প্রত্যাশায় থাকা। এবারের বিশ্বকাপ হবে দারুন জমজমাট। আর জেনে রাখুন, শেষ ফলাফল যাই আসুক, আমাদের প্রতিজ্ঞা বিশ্বকে এবার দেখিয়ে দিবো বাংলাদেশ কি জিনিস!

বিনীত
ইয়ান পন্ট
বোলিং কোচ, বাংলাদেশ জাতীয় ক্রিকেট দল
[/বাংলা]

BanCricFan
February 9, 2011, 12:06 PM

Top post, coach.

Having said that, I do have a slight theological disagreement with your "big man upstairs" part. I'm not a theologian with any feminist bent but I do think the idea of a "big girl upstairs" instead would be more poetic since -and I assume- you were speaking in a metaphorical tongue. :-p

Disclaimer: Hope resident theologians, half-mullahs or creative secularists won't jump on my back. I don't subscribe to an anthropomorphic God. :)

BanCricFan
February 9, 2011, 12:08 PM
Great post by Jadukor and good work by Babubangla.

FaHiMa
February 9, 2011, 05:34 PM
Well said Coach !

and Jadukor :)

karimjay.
February 15, 2011, 11:44 AM
what happened to being positive during the game? good to see ian with some optimism, but a huge shame to see that positivity not being emulated during the warm up game.

hmm..

SS
February 16, 2011, 09:40 AM
Realistic positive approach is needed...we need a confident unit who will forget about any fear and team's might rather keep on thinking how to win each and every single moment...

5 or 6 different bowlers have to use their head intelligently and also our top and middle order batsmen have to be very strong and play using their head also (offcourse with confidence dont want to see the half hearted shots with doubts) for 19th match. Players with low confidence should not play that day as it's a huge pressure to deal with facing best batsmen. It's too late to develop extra skills and become superman, but it's not too late to be mentally strong and believe in themselves...it will be a mental game on 19th...our boys have to be ready

akabir77
February 16, 2011, 09:49 AM
Amen Amen Amen

zainab
February 16, 2011, 09:43 PM
Yes. just support the players, i am sure that they will give of their best, and wish them the best that they become one of the top 8 teams.

Kabir
February 16, 2011, 11:02 PM
Great post coach and all fellow members...even I started to dream big...hehe

Oh no...eibar khobor ache!

Kabir
February 16, 2011, 11:05 PM
As for coach's post - never disagreed with anything you've said and done.

When it comes to team's training and what's going on internally, nobody knows a thing about it. But they do feel emotionally involved with a few words they heard the coach say out loud. A majority of the complains from the fans about JS is how his approach is in public - nobody talks about how he could be totally different when it comes to his personal relationships with the team.

SS
February 17, 2011, 10:33 AM
Oh no...eibar khobor ache!

made that comment before practice match...but we all support the team all the way...best of luck...

6alltheway
February 17, 2011, 10:43 AM
If we do not make the last eight it doesn't make us a POOR team. If we win the WC it doesn't make us a GREAT team.

Best sentance in the whole of Bangla forums history!

SS
February 17, 2011, 10:47 AM
INDIA batting first expectations (when the batting plan for IND becomes successful)
For our first game, if IND bat first regardless who is in the wicket they will try to score lot during first 10 overs approximately 100...one or two wicket can fall...so our expectations should be like that...if breaking down to other phases
1) 1-25 overs phase - they will definitely score 160 runs...so we are expecting to see that run now the question will we able to take three wickets...
2) 35 over phase: IND will definitely reach 200+ runs...either loosing one or two wickets or even none.
3) 35 to 45 over phase: IND will go for big shots to make it 270+ runs...not sure if that will be possible in Mirpur and we might get some wickets that time depending on who bowls..
4) 45 over to end: There could be several scenarios:
a) if IND has wickets in hand they will try to take the score to 300+ (not sure if it happend in Mirpur ground but u never know as they got plenty of good batsmen). Four of their batsmen reaching higer 50+ scores or two hundreds. Our bowlers taking 6 to 8 of their wickets...
b) if we get the momentum somehow by claiming two wickets we can restrict them under 300. Our bowlers take all the wickets.

End result of their score and our reasonable expectations: score ranging 270-320 (when India batting plan is successful, moderate bowling performance from our bowlers, Mirpur ground did not act the way it acted during other matches and became batting paradise)

SS
February 17, 2011, 10:57 AM
INDIA batting first expectations (when our bowling plan is successful)
Our openning bowlers grab two key wickets in initial spell with new ball and IND scores 75 runs in 10 overs or so...

1) 1-25 overs phase - Spin trio checks the team and the run is withing 160 range may be wicket or two ...
2) 35 over phase: 200 runs come up 34 overs...bowling change brings another wicket or two
3) 35 to 45 over phase: Very important stage and if our bowlers can execute wll they will get two more wickets and score will 240+ for 6 or so...
4) 45 over to end:
(a) Our bowlers wrap up the innings and their score is 265+ (this will only happen if we get wickets during mid overs in a regular basis and no assistance from pitch)
(b) Our bowlers and fielders make some miracle contribution to restrict them under 250 when atleast three bowlers are economical and Mirpur pitch behaves the way it is

End result of their batting score and our reasonable expectations: score ranging 240-265 ( great performance by our bowlers and fielders)