PDA

View Full Version : Madrassas should be shut down in Bangladesh

F6_Turbo
April 4, 2011, 08:45 AM
What do people think? I can't think of anything positive to come out of Madrassas...infact we get the opposite.

We get thousands of brain washed retards protesting against equal rights for women(like we did all over Bangladesh today)

Why would someone be against a policy that has a provision of equal share of women in inherited properties and their opportunities in employment and business

??

As a whole Madrassas produce hundreds of thousands of citizens who from a very early age are separated from the rest of society, and add very little do it in practical terms.

Discuss....

Nafi
April 4, 2011, 08:53 AM
They provide free education, without burdening the government.

I believe they should be separated from the government, but should be regulated strictly by laws to prevent the extremism/radicalism that is rampant among most of these institutions. Since most are guilty of this, then yes, you should shut them down till they comply with the law.

Naimul_Hd
April 4, 2011, 09:16 AM
Shutting down Madrassas is not the solution. We need a proper guideline and up to date education system for Madrassas.

F6_Turbo
April 4, 2011, 09:16 AM
They provide free education, without burdening the government.

I believe they should be separated from the government, but should be regulated strictly by laws to prevent the extremism/radicalism that is rampant among most of these institutions. Since most are guilty of this, then yes, you should shut them down till they comply with the law.

In theory they are great...especially for a poor country like ours, they take in the poor and destitute, feed them and educate them.

But it is the 'educate' portion of it, that I have a real problem with. What is the end product?

I really do fear for the future of this country with the army of brainwashed automatons being produced, especially with them taught to hate and distance themselves from the general populace.

roman
April 4, 2011, 09:34 AM
I think the root of the problem is the Madrasa education system and those people who are using religion to gain their sick political agenda. it seems to me that madrasas are only producing Alems fit to lead prayers only but not producing any doctors, engineers or someone who can lead a country. This is due to syllabi of stone age. They need to teach proper Islam not just some suras and kalemas and some Fatwas from those filthy politicians and Razakars who only use those Madrasa students to accomplist their personal and political schema ...They need to include subjects like English, science, sports and our Government must take steps to make it happen. Bring those Madrasa students to the mainstream education system. Closing Madrasas might not be the solution...

MohammedC
April 4, 2011, 10:23 AM
Shutting down Madrassas is not the solution. We need a proper guideline and up to date education system for Madrassas.

Very good answer.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

F6_Turbo
April 4, 2011, 10:41 AM
I think the root of the problem is the Madrasa education system and those people who are using religion to gain their sick political agenda. it seems to me that madrasas are only producing Alems fit to lead prayers only but not producing any doctors, engineers or someone who can lead a country. This is due to syllabi of stone age. They need to teach proper Islam not just some suras and kalemas and some Fatwas from those filthy politicians and Razakars who only use those Madrasa students to accomplist their personal and political schema ...They need to include subjects like English, science, sports and our Government must take steps to make it happen. Bring those Madrasa students to the mainstream education system. Closing Madrasas might not be the solution...

Have you tried speaking to the average bloke studying at a Madrassa, not the odd one out.

This is the response I tend to get

"what's the use of your education, education that only prepares you for this world, we are getting the 'real certificate' one that will show us the path to Allah and Jannat."

To them the two are mutually exclusive.

The blind zeal they have towards the doctrine fed to them is far scarier than anything the AL/BNP feeds its followers.

For those who say closing them down is shortsighted, and we should work to modernize them, how do you do that so an institution that feels progress is an insult to 'religious sentiments'.

We speak of modernization I'd say the rhetoric in our madrassas has progressively gotten worse over the last 40 years, while society as a whole as gone in the other direction. I really do fear a Pakistan style chasm in our social fabric, in the next couple of decades.

Puck
April 4, 2011, 11:12 AM
Have you tried speaking to the average bloke studying at a Madrassa, not the odd one out.

This is the response I tend to get

"what's the use of your education, education that only prepares you for this world, we are getting the 'real certificate' one that will show us the path to Allah and Jannat."

To them the two are mutually exclusive.

The blind zeal they have towards the doctrine fed to them is far scarier than anything the AL/BNP feeds its followers.

For those who say closing them down is shortsighted, and we should work to modernize them, how do you do that so an institution that feels progress is an insult to 'religious sentiments'.

We speak of modernization I'd say the rhetoric in our madrassas has progressively gotten worse over the last 40 years, while society as a whole as gone in the other direction. I really do fear a Pakistan style chasm in our social fabric, in the next couple of decades.

I share your frustrations with the system but like MuhammadC I find your solution to be unhelpful. Secular investment is required in creating an educational inspectorate of sorts that would be imposing a syllabus incorporating General Science, Mathematics, English, Bangla literature and Physical Education. A teacher training institute of sorts needs to train the would be mullah-teachers. There also needs to be comprehensive exchange programme of teachers from secular schools who would have to spend a month every year working in a Madrassa.

At present, there simply is no secular funding available.

What could be interesting

roman
April 4, 2011, 11:12 AM
Brother Turbo,
You'll get that type of an answer when you ask a brainwashed or who has little knowledge about Islam. These are the people who will encourage you to commit Bidat, these are the people who will tell you...well...lets not talk about all that in here.
Look at the islamic schools here in USA. They not only teach a student about true Islamic values but they also follow "board of education's syllabus. So when a student graduates from there, he/she has proper knowledge of Deen and as well as modern world. That system is what I am talking about to implement in Madrasas in BD, Ind, Pak. Not that system that will only teach you fabricated stuff....

BanCricFan
April 4, 2011, 11:46 AM
Not only Madrasah we need to shut down all the kinder gartens, primary, secondary, college and universities too. They are not only producing ignorant extremists but also corrupt and morally bankcrupt "learders" and bureaucrats whom sucking our country dry.

Anyway, as the wiseman rightly said gyaner shesh nai gyaner cheshta britha tai. :up:

Equinox
April 4, 2011, 02:31 PM
We need to make sure the right people are running the madrassas, not shut them down. Also verification of where the money is coming from and the true purpose and intention of the people funding the madrassas are required ie strict regulation.

Bancan
April 4, 2011, 06:30 PM
You know what we need?
We need accountability, discipline and proper infrastructure. I

al Furqaan
April 4, 2011, 07:32 PM
they need a comprehensive curriculum and major oversight to make sure mullahs aren't molesting little boys (and girls).

they need a *secular* program as well, since to a muslim nothing is secular...math and science all point towards tawheed.

they need to learn about descartes and socrates in addition to Abu Dawud and Bukhari.

Zeeshan
April 4, 2011, 09:23 PM
they need a comprehensive curriculum and major oversight to make sure mullahs aren't molesting little boys (and girls).

they need a *secular* program as well, since to a muslim nothing is secular...math and science all point towards tawheed.

they need to learn about descartes and socrates in addition to Abu Dawud and Bukhari.

Why? (...agree with your first point about molestation though)

They don't need to learn jack. The very freedom of religion pivots on the fact of allowing to preach whatever one feels like -within legal bounds- without anyone - men of letters and science -who are by no means any less dogmatic-- to infringe on their rights. If I want to start I religious group and preach that Moon is made of Blue Cheese, who are you or anyone for that matter to shut me down?

Madrasas should not be closed. Thread reminds me of the film called Matir Moyna. Started seeing it but takes too long to load up on youtube. Anyone feel free to chime on the movie's review.

HereWeGo
April 4, 2011, 10:09 PM

Hmm, I remember people being really harsh on a paper published by the Prime Minsters son where he sort of put forward his fear of these madrassas. I believe some of his fears are justified and this is the prime example. Equal rights for women is a no brainer. If these religious bigots feel otherwise and if all the people coming and protesting are madrassa students than there is definately a problem in the system.

al Furqaan
April 4, 2011, 11:09 PM
Why? (...agree with your first point about molestation though)

They don't need to learn jack. The very freedom of religion pivots on the fact of allowing to preach whatever one feels like -within legal bounds- without anyone - men of letters and science -who are by no means any less dogmatic-- to infringe on their rights. If I want to start I religious group and preach that Moon is made of Blue Cheese, who are you or anyone for that matter to shut me down?

Madrasas should not be closed. Thread reminds me of the film called Matir Moyna. Started seeing it but takes too long to load up on youtube. Anyone feel free to chime on the movie's review.

I never said they should be closed...I just said they need to be reformed and/or modernized.

The geo-political turmoil of today can't be solely explained by Israel's methodical destruction of the Palestinians or of the US's presence in Saudi Arabia. Islam has been improperly interpreted and promulgated by both those who have selfish and materialistic aspirations and by those who are genuinely convinced they're acting in God's Will.

Isnaad
April 4, 2011, 11:13 PM
Agree with Al-Furqaan bro. To add to all the talk,
Islam actually has given more right of property on women than men. Its all about misunderstanding and lack of execution.
I find both pro and anti at fault. Islam is a complete code of life. Madrasas lead a person to this complete code. Math, science all are Farz for a Muslim.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)

al Furqaan
April 4, 2011, 11:13 PM
Hmm, I remember people being really harsh on a paper published by the Prime Minsters son where he sort of put forward his fear of these madrassas. I believe some of his fears are justified and this is the prime example. Equal rights for women is a no brainer. If these religious bigots feel otherwise and if all the people coming and protesting are madrassa students than there is definately a problem in the system.

Implementation of what the Quran really says is of utmost importance. Raising young boys (and girls) to be good human beings is what is important. Idealistic perhaps, but important nonetheless. If that is taken care of, very few issues will arise. If a man is raised to be a good human being as illustrated in the Quran, there won't be anything his wife/mother/daughter/sister will want or need. Women's rights will then be a given.

auntu
April 5, 2011, 04:25 AM
what do people think? I can't think of anything positive to come out of madrassas...infact we get the opposite.

We get thousands of brain washed retards protesting against equal rights for women(like we did all over bangladesh today)

why would someone be against a policy that has a provision of equal share of women in inherited properties and their opportunities in employment and business

??

As a whole madrassas produce hundreds of thousands of citizens who from a very early age are separated from the rest of society, and add very little do it in practical terms.

Discuss....
[বাংলা]টারবো ভাইজানের কাছে যথাবিহিত সম্মান প্রদর্শণপূর্বক বিনীত জিজ্ঞাস্যঃ
ভাইজান কি মুসলমান?
আপনি কি বাংলাদেশে থাকেন?
মাদ্রাসা শিক্ষা ব্যবস্থা আসলে কেমন, কি হয় মাদ্রাসায়, এই বিষয়ে আপনার ধারণা কেমন?

(প্রশ্নগুলো অতিরিক্ত ব্যাক্তিগত মনে হলে উত্তর দেবার প্রয়োজন নেই। আমার প্রশ্নের অন্য অর্থ করবেন না। শুধু জানতে চাইছি।) [/বাংলা]

Isnaad
April 5, 2011, 04:56 AM
^^^:up: :six:

F6_Turbo
April 5, 2011, 09:29 AM
ভাইজান কি মুসলমান?
আপনি কি বাংলাদেশে থাকেন?
মাদ্রাসা শিক্ষা ব্যবস্থা আসলে কেমন, কি হয় মাদ্রাসায়, এই বিষয়ে আপনার ধারণা কেমন?

(প্রশ্নগুলো অতিরিক্ত ব্যাক্তিগত মনে হলে উত্তর দেবার প্রয়োজন নেই। আমার প্রশ্নের অন্য অর্থ করবেন না। শুধু জানতে চাইছি।) [/বাংলা]

1. Yes I am muslim, and not just muslim because my parents happen to be muslim, but one who strayed from Islam(bhai boyosh kom chilo, keno jani mone hoysilo, Bourbon and Coke was more important than anything else)

But I am reformed now.

2. Yes, I currently reside in Bangladesh, but I am not bound here, I have the luxury of flying away never to return if I wish to(but have not done so, YET)

3. My knowledge of the madrassa system, do I know the system A-Z, no I can't say I do, but do I know the end product, absolutely.

I lost a cousin to this wretched system because of the folly of an uncle(who was neither crazy nor destitute), so he sent his son to one of the better known madrassas in Dhaka.

The end product is one who recites the Quran beautifully, is polite to a fault, but is on the whole an idiot. He lacks the ability to think for himself, or to apply the teachings of the Quran to the world we live in today. He was one of the many thousands all across the country who took part in running battles with the police, because and I quote

"Ei desh theke dhormo tule nicche haramkhor-ra"

PoorFan
April 6, 2011, 01:49 AM
ভাইজান কি মুসলমান?
আপনি কি বাংলাদেশে থাকেন?

Would you ask those question to the guy who wrote the news report in Shomokal? I guess not, and wish this report might help a bit to your query.

Btw, I do believe madrassa curriculum/syllabus needs to have competency to our culture and law. At least mutual understanding and tolerance on "law and culture" is a MUST to live in peace, instead if everything becomes "of the God, by the God, and for the God", and by any means to those people, as it is in Pak/Afg etc., then it will be too late for many of us to come back here again, and say we were wrong/right.

[বাংলা]
নেপথ্যে হাটহাজারী এবং পটিয়ার দুটি মাদ্রাসা
1.36%

গড় রেটিং:

রেটিং :

<!-- AddThis Button BEGIN -->http://s7.addthis.com/static/btn/lg-share-en.gif (http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php?v=20) <!-- AddThis Button END -->

কাজী আবুল মনসুর, চট্টগ্রাম ব্যুরো
চট্টগ্রামের রহস্যময় বড় দুটি মাদ্রাসা হচ্ছে হাটহাজারী দারুল উলুম মুইনুল ইসলাম এবং পটিয়ার আল জামেয়া আল ইসলামিয়া। সোমবার চট্টগ্রামের হাটহাজারী বড় মাদ্রাসা বলে খ্যাত দারুল উলুম মাদ্রাসার নির্দেশে তাদের সমর্থিত কয়েকটি মাদ্রাসার কয়েক হাজার ছাত্র বিভিন্ন গ্রুপে তুলকালাম কাণ্ড ঘটায় চট্টগ্রামের হাটহাজারীতে। একই সঙ্গে পটিয়াতেও বিপুল শোডাউন করে জামেয়া মাদ্রাসার ছাত্ররা। তারাও পটিয়াতে বিভিন্ন গ্রুপে ভোর থেকে রাস্তায় নেমে সাধারণ মানুষের চলাচল ও
যানবাহন নিয়ন্ত্রণ করে। তবে সবচেয়ে জঙ্গি রূপ ছিল হাটহাজারী মাদ্রাসার ছাত্রদের। এলোপাতাড়ি গাড়ি ভাংচুরসহ পুলিশের ওপর চড়াও হয় তারা। হরতালের আগে চট্টগ্রামের বড় দুটি মাদ্রাসায় দফায় দফায় বৈঠক হয়। বৈঠক থেকে নির্দেশ যায় দেশের বিভিন্ন স্থানে ছড়িয়ে থাকা ৮ হাজার মাদ্রাসায়।
জানা গেছে, মাদ্রাসা দুটি বাংলাদেশের বড় বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় হিসেবে বিভিন্ন মুসলিম দেশে পরিচিত। এখানে সাংবাদিকদের প্রবেশাধিকার নেই। মুখোমুখি কথা বলেন না মাদ্রাসার লোকজন। বিদেশি টাকা এবং ইসলামপ্রিয় ধনী লোকদের টাকায় চলে এ দুই মাদ্রাসা। প্রতি বছর এখান থেকে প্রায় ২ হাজারেরও বেশি শিক্ষার্থী বের হয়। বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ের মতো স্নাতকোত্তর এমনকি পিএইচডি ডিগ্রিও এখানে রয়েছে। তবে এ ডিগ্রির স্বীকৃতি বাংলাদেশে নেই। দু'মাদ্রাসা হতে এ পর্যন্ত বের হওয়া ছাত্রের সংখ্যা প্রায় সাড়ে ৪ লাখ। এখানে শিক্ষার্থী হিসেবে রয়েছে মিয়ানমারের নাগরিকরাও।
বৃহত্তর চট্টগ্রামের ছোট-বড় প্রায় ২ হাজার মাদ্রাসাসহ সারাদেশের প্রায় ৮ হাজার মাদ্রাসা নিয়ন্ত্রণ করে বড় এ দুই মাদ্রাসা। এসব মাদ্রাসা ছাড়াও চট্টগ্রামের সাতকানিয়া, বাঁশখালী, আনোয়ারা, মিরসরাইসহ ১৪ উপজেলায় রয়েছে বেশিরভাগ মাদ্রাসা। সরকার অনুমোদিত এসব মাদ্রাসা চলছে বিদেশি টাকায়। সরকারি কোনো পাঠ্যসূচি নেই এগুলোতে। হাটহাজারী ও পটিয়া মাদ্রাসার নিয়ন্ত্রণে এসব মাদ্রাসা চলে। মাদ্রাসাগুলোতে আয়-ব্যয়ের কোনো হিসাব নেই। দেশীয় সংস্কৃতির লেশমাত্র নেই এখানে। জাতীয় সঙ্গীত বাজানো হয় না এসব মাদ্রাসায়।
এ মাদ্রাসার প্রিন্সিপাল আহমদ শফি। তিনি বাংলাদেশ হেফাজতে ইসলাম ও ওলামা পরিষদের সভাপতি। বিদেশের সঙ্গে মূল নেটওয়ার্ক স্থাপনকারী হচ্ছেন তিনি। প্রায় ৪৬ বছর ধরে অধ্যক্ষ আহমদ শফি হাটহাজারী থেকে অনেক স্থানে চলাচল করেন ভাড়া করা হেলিকপ্টারে। তার মাদ্রাসায় দেশের আইন-সংবিধান বহির্ভূত ফতোয়া দেওয়া হয়। উর্দু ভাষায় চলে শিক্ষা কার্যক্রম। পাকিস্তান, সৌদি আরবসহ বিভিন্ন ইসলামী আন্দোলনের বই এখানে পাঠ্য।
হাটহাজারী ও পটিয়া মাদ্রাসার শিক্ষা কার্যক্রম একই রকম। একই কায়দায় চলে উভয় প্রতিষ্ঠান। এ দুই মাদ্রাসার সর্বাধিক প্রতিনিধি রয়েছে সৌদি আরবে। মধ্যপ্রাচ্যেও কয়েকজন প্রতিনিধি সক্রিয় রয়েছে। তাদের মাধ্যমে প্রতি বছর সংগৃহীত হয় বিপুল টাকা। ইসলামী ব্যাংক হাটহাজারী শাখায় এ মাদ্রাসার চলতি হিসাব নং-৫০। এছাড়া অ্যাকাউন্ট রয়েছে সোনালী ব্যাংকেও। চলতি হিসাব নং-৩১। মূল লেনদেনের হিসাব থেকে যায় গোপনীয়। কারণ মাদ্রাসা পরিচালনা কমিটিতে (শূরা) সরকারি কোনো নিয়ন্ত্রণ নেই। এমনকি জনপ্রতিনিধিদের কোনো সম্পৃক্ততা নেই।
হাটহাজারী মাদ্রাসার বক্তব্য :সার্বিক বিষয়ে জানতে চাইলে হাটহাজারী মাদ্রাসার মুখপাত্র মাওলানা ইয়াহিয়া সমকালকে বলেন, 'আমাদের নির্দেশে বা আমাদের মাদ্রাসার কোনো ছাত্র ভাংচুরের সঙ্গে জড়িত নয়।' তিনি বলেন, সরকারের সঙ্গে আলোচনার কোনো ইচ্ছা আমাদের নেই। আমাদের অনেকে জঙ্গি তৎপরতার সঙ্গে যুক্ত বলে উলেল্গখ করা হয়। আসল কথা হচ্ছে, বিভিন্ন দেশে ইসলামের বিরুদ্ধে যে ষড়যন্ত্র চলছে তার বিরুদ্ধে আমরা সোচ্চার। বিদেশ থেকে কোনো অর্থ আসে না। তিনি বলেন, ইসলামপ্রিয় লোকজনই আমাদের অর্থের উৎস।
[/বাংলা]

http://www.samakal.com.bd/details.php?news=13&action=main&view=archiev&y=2011&m=04&d=05&option=single&news_id=145961&pub_no=654

Naimul_Hd
April 6, 2011, 06:06 AM
potential WWE Superstar :)

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kRzCm1UDxIo?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kRzCm1UDxIo?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Puck
April 6, 2011, 08:29 AM
What stunning acrobatics from the michka shoytan mullah!

F6_Turbo
April 6, 2011, 08:35 AM
PoorFan, it is exactly scum like the ones mentioned in your article who I fear. It is easy to sit overseas or even in our nice apartments in Dhanmondi, Gulshan and Banani, and get offended when we perceive someone to be speaking ill of Islam...but the fact remains, the people I am questioning, do not pledge an allegiance to this country.

They are taught to hate it, what it stands for, and actively strive to change what it was founded on.

No one wants to speak up about it, because it is such a sensitive topic, kichu bolle, straightaway the response is, why are you attacking Islam? Yet the madrassas day by day grow stronger and less and less regulated. Money coming from the true enemy of Islam(Saudi Arabia) buys influence and silence.

No political party will touch this issue in a real way, because our electorate is not ready to discuss this issue maturely(mind you, maturity and our electorate are like water and oil...), and will turn on whoever urges reform.

EDIT: People voting no, I'd like to hear why. It is not a case of me seeking justification, but I would like to hear your rationale.

Asif68
April 6, 2011, 10:00 PM
Whats the point, Our usual scumbag politicians/corrupt government workers have not studied from Madrasa but are far worse than your average Madrasa educated person.

Jadukor
April 6, 2011, 11:07 PM
PoorFan, it is exactly scum like the ones mentioned in your article who I fear. It is easy to sit overseas or even in our nice apartments in Dhanmondi, Gulshan and Banani, and get offended when we perceive someone to be speaking ill of Islam...but the fact remains, the people I am questioning, do not pledge an allegiance to this country.

They are taught to hate it, what it stands for, and actively strive to change what it was founded on.

No one wants to speak up about it, because it is such a sensitive topic, kichu bolle, straightaway the response is, why are you attacking Islam? Yet the madrassas day by day grow stronger and less and less regulated. Money coming from the true enemy of Islam(Saudi Arabia) buys influence and silence.

No political party will touch this issue in a real way, because our electorate is not ready to discuss this issue maturely(mind you, maturity and our electorate are like water and oil...), and will turn on whoever urges reform.

EDIT: People voting no, I'd like to hear why. It is not a case of me seeking justification, but I would like to hear your rationale.

sums up my fears exactly... if people were happy practising their faith in their own private lives there would not be any problem. What makes me uncomfortable is the "gang" dynamics and the whole notion that State laws and regulations are all "faltu" and there is a need to establish a "New World Order"....

Personally I think regulating madrassas is a better option than shutting them down entirely. The shutting down option should be exercised only if the Government absolutely fail: to monitor the funding, reform curriculum, integrate madrassa students into mainstream society/workforce. The reform process would probably be slow but if it is properly planned and implemented, i believe it could work. The key is to broaden the vision of these students... educate them about different cultures, religion, science, history etc. Milk the Saudies to provide funding for field trips to other developed countries to meet/interact with students. Make them think beyond the traditional "Akhirat/Behest" they are programmed to do.

I think thats the approach we should take because what we do not want is to make the situation worse than it already is. The government still has control over these madrassas... shutting them down or banning them would create a highly negative sentiment amongst the rural population and make some elements become rogue and go underground... and that would create a whole new threat to our current society

F6_Turbo
April 7, 2011, 01:25 AM
sums up my fears exactly... if people were happy practising their faith in their own private lives there would not be any problem. What makes me uncomfortable is the "gang" dynamics and the whole notion that State laws and regulations are all "faltu" and there is a need to establish a "New World Order"....

Personally I think regulating madrassas is a better option than shutting them down entirely. The shutting down option should be exercised only if the Government absolutely fail: to monitor the funding, reform curriculum, integrate madrassa students into mainstream society/workforce. The reform process would probably be slow but if it is properly planned and implemented, i believe it could work. The key is to broaden the vision of these students... educate them about different cultures, religion, science, history etc. Milk the Saudies to provide funding for field trips to other developed countries to meet/interact with students. Make them think beyond the traditional "Akhirat/Behest" they are programmed to do.

I think thats the approach we should take because what we do not want is to make the situation worse than it already is. The government still has control over these madrassas... shutting them down or banning them would create a highly negative sentiment amongst the rural population and make some elements become rogue and go underground... and that would create a whole new threat to our current society

Fair enough...shutting them down, does sound a bit like throwing out the baby with the bathwater, but I really am concerned about how blase everyone is about the whole thing. We've had a number of people in this very thread comment that look at how bad non-madrassa people/politicians are.

Are people being deliberately obtuse? Do they not see what has happened in Pakistan, where the clergy and their minions weren't brought under the thumb instead used to fulfill short term political agendas, and now run amok.

When minorities get killed, lynched, women flogged to death via fatwas on a weekly basis, mosques bombed during friday prayers, will we still be so sarky with our comments?

We have a reputation around the world for being poor, but a relatively moderate muslim country that is heading in the right direction, I don't want that to change to

'The Next Pakistan'
'Bangladesh - a ticking bomb'

Power, roads, governance, healthcare, living standards will all improve with time, as they have done. But all that progress can be very swiftly undone if the mullahs remain unchecked and decide to not play nice.

I would rather we were pro-active and got them to toe the line before they become completely untouchable(some might say it is already too late for that).

Rifat
April 7, 2011, 02:59 AM

Top Post Jadukor bhai: a few opinions of mine:

*) being "akhirah/behesht minded" does not mean necessarily imply seclusion from society. Islam didn't spread just by Prophet (SalAllahu A'laihe wasallam) meditating in a cave all day and night. He was very much active with his people. He was a businessman, familyman, friend, teacher, military strategist, peacemaker, tactical negotiator who combined best of both worlds(spiritual world + current situation)

**)
in a translation of the Quran Allah does tell us to "make us successful both in this life and the hereafter" (chapter2: verse 198)this does not necessarily exclude this life nor does it exclude the afterlife in other extremes.

***) to be someone who preaches Islam, you have to practice what you preach. it is not difficult, but requires sacrifice from your own personal self! Allah is always watching me before i type www......

the modern day situation is quite different. back in those times, You were being persecuted/beaten to death quite literally just for saying "Allahu Akbar". these days, in Bangladesh and pretty much almost anywhere in the world you can offer prayers in the open public space and nobody would really cause any trouble to you. Today, Islam is widely accepted as a way of life. at least, it is widely recognized as an established faith. Therefore, jihad today is far different from jihad back then because Muslims/Islam is not facing extinction/ we are not under survival threat.

Rather, the modern jihad is mapping an understanding of Islam into real life situations.
it is that understanding that Allah indeed has control over all affairs, Islam indeed has solutions for societies and personal problems. It is our struggle to translate Islam from people who knows to people who don't! in order to effectively convey the message, we need to be patient. We need to understand how things really work in modern life and why it came this way. Why the muslim ummah lost khilafah/pre-decessor two-hundred years ago. we need to understand our history. we need to understand our past. we need to understand what mistakes did the muslims made and how we lost after we have gained. and why are we being subjugated in many matters today, where at one time in history, the word "Muslim" in media meant Respect, today it means(in some cases) the total opposite. Jihad today is making that attempt to understand the big picture, the truth; If the madrasas in fact are truly acting in accordance with Allah's command and truly for the pleasure of Allah, then Allah will protect his deen/his religion! Allah will protect his people, Allah will expand their hearts. Allah will make them prosperous. Allah will make them realize.

muslims worldwide can be united into one entity if we recognize despite our differences, our goal is one: Please Allah!

Allah is well aware whether we hide something in our hearts or whether we say it even before it is uttered!

Baundule
April 7, 2011, 04:26 AM
I was one with the opinion that Madrasahs should not be shut down; but regulated. Clearly, the regulation option is not practical. Kaomi Madrasahs are a big business source for many people. They do not like to be regulated by Government rules.

For learning Islam, you do not need a Madrasah, at least not in the level that we have at the moment. I was surprised by the garbage they teach in the name of Islam. Islam is a simple and straight-forward way of guiding human life. The Quran alone is enough and self-sufficient for that purpose. There is no harm in studying Hadith either as a history about the life of Muhammad and his time. But in the Madrasah syllabus, they teach huge Kitabs containing just Fatwas. These fatwas are the main reason why Madrasah students are often brain-washed.

Students are usually not allowed to 'think'. They have to accept whatever the Hujur says. I do not see any reason why we need to continue with such education.

Zeeshan
April 7, 2011, 10:26 PM
muslims worldwide can be united into one entity if we recognize despite our differences, our goal is one: Please Allah!

And what makes you say that? I feel like converting to Islam just to prove you wrong. Because after all that statement is nothing more than YOUR interpretation. Al-Quran has been revealed in parts and no where is there a conclusion from axioms so to speak that our purpose should be to "Please Allah". If I were God, I'd be very much offended with that for tarnishing my own image.

And let's give you the gambit and benefit of the doubt that what you say is indeed 'true' then I'd rather stay a kufr rather than bow down to a Creator who likes to be praised with adulation and afflatus all the time.

Either you proved that that God is a being who likes to gloat on praises or you must come to agreement what you posted is YOUR subjective interpretation.

magic boy
April 7, 2011, 10:40 PM
And let's give your the gambit and benefit of the doubt that what you say is indeed 'true' then I'd rather stay a kufr rather than bow down to a Creator who likes to be praised with adulation and afflatus all the time.

what makes you think only the act of bowing down to Allah please Him?

In Islam its not only 5 time praying per day but lots of other duties that deals with society,finance,personality...in one word total Life.Its not just to bow down to the Creator. Allah wont be pleased if a so called pious Muslim takes bribe despite of his 5 time prayer( or as you may say bow down!). Allah never suggested to praise him blindly. He shows us many other ways to please Him which are very normal to do in our practical Life :)

Islam is so huge & deep that you wont be able to generalize it in just one word.

Zeeshan
April 7, 2011, 10:47 PM
what makes you think only the act of bowing down to Allah please Him?

In Islam its not only 5 time praying per day but lots of other duties that deals with society,finance,personality...in one word total Life.Its not just to bow down to the Creator. Allah wont be pleased if a so called pious Muslim takes bribe despite of his 5 time prayer( or as you may say bow down!). Allah never suggested to praise him blindly. He shows us many other ways to please Him which are very normal to do in our practical Life :)

Islam is so huge & deep that you wont be able to generalize it in just one word.

I didn't.

zman
April 7, 2011, 11:06 PM
hmm...:umm: now I know where to send my monthly donations--

Option A: Islamic Bank, Branch: Hathajari, Checking acct no. 50

Option B: Sonali Bank, Branch: Hathajari, Checking acct no. 31

Isnaad
April 8, 2011, 02:27 AM
And what makes you say that? I feel like converting to Islam just to prove you wrong. Because after all that statement is nothing more than YOUR interpretation. Al-Quran has been revealed in parts and no where is there a conclusion from axioms so to speak that our purpose should be to "Please Allah". If I were God, I'd be very much offended with that for tarnishing my own image.

And let's give you the gambit and benefit of the doubt that what you say is indeed 'true' then I'd rather stay a kufr rather than bow down to a Creator who likes to be praised with adulation and afflatus all the time.

Either you proved that that God is a being who likes to gloat on praises or you must come to agreement what you posted is YOUR subjective interpretation.

It seems you ve studied the Holy Quran to some extent but are not satisfied that it is the Holy book of Allah. Correct me if I am wrong but you need to realize that kufr and its consequences are far worse than whatever one can think of....Peace
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Opera Mobile)