PDA

View Full Version : Favorite cricket venues?

Zeeshan
April 14, 2011, 09:14 PM
Where would you like to play cricket? Perth? Wacca? Gabba? Lord's? Chennai? Mirpur? Ctg (yawn)? Old Traffordshire?

Let's discuss various cricket venues. If you played cricket which stadium would you prefer?

Feel free to post pics.

Zeeshan
April 14, 2011, 09:18 PM
The Oval

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00785/oval-460_785864c.jpg

Ajfar
April 14, 2011, 10:08 PM
Lords. I went there 2 summers ago. Unfortunately I couldn't go to an actual game, I think the Lords test in that Ashes series was already over before I went to England. I got a tour of the stadium, and even got to visit the visiting team's dressing room. The view from that balcony is pretty sweet. The only thing that I don't like about the stadium is its kind of small.

Zeeshan
April 14, 2011, 10:34 PM
Did you go to the cricket museum?

AsifTheManRahman
April 14, 2011, 10:48 PM
Maple Leaf Cricket Club, King City, Ontario Canada.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/90/Maple_Leaf_Cricket.jpg/800px-Maple_Leaf_Cricket.jpg

Neel Here
April 14, 2011, 11:11 PM
eden gardens, where else.

Avik
April 14, 2011, 11:49 PM
havent gone to any other but the Bangabandhu Stadium. 3 ta khela dekhsilam. 1 was a Saarc Cricket match, between Bangladesh and India A. I think this was in 1995. Bangladesh won by 1 runs. was a very exciting match.

2nd time I went there was for the mini world cup in 1998. final match. Kallis defeating West Indies single-handedly. Lara coming out to bat amidst cheers of "Lara Bhua". And him not understanding what Bhua means, raising his bat in acknowledgment. that was funny.

3rd time was Bangladesh vs India, in 2004. Right after Bangladesh won their 100th ODI. went to the stadium to watch Tendulkar & company play really well. this was when Dhoni started out. India batted really well, and BD batted in a decent reply. left before the match ended and missed Mashrafe fireworks where he hit 4 sixes in a row.

had enormous fun in all occasions.

Zeeshan
April 15, 2011, 12:22 AM
2nd time I went there was for the mini world cup in 1998. final match. Kallis defeating West Indies single-handedly. Lara coming out to bat amidst cheers of "Lara Bhua". And him not understanding what Bhua means, raising his bat in acknowledgment. that was funny.

priceless! wonder if there is a clip...

Night_wolf
April 15, 2011, 01:41 AM
i havent been to much:(...so by personal experience its SBNS

Zeeshan
April 15, 2011, 01:53 AM
i havent been to much:(...so by personal experience its SBNS

it doesn't have to personal experience...tis a fantasy thread bro...if you were a player where would YOU like to play, as seen from various cricket venues :)

Night_wolf
April 15, 2011, 02:00 AM
it doesn't have to personal experience...tis a fantasy thread bro...if you were a player where would YOU like to play, as seen from various cricket venues :)

then it have to be MCG!...love that venue in tv:)

Bancan
April 15, 2011, 02:02 AM
then it have to be MCG!...love that venue in tv:)

Imagine 100 thousand people cheering you on. Man I have only been in a stadium with 50 thousand( Rogers Centre, Toronto) and man its chilling. The atmosphere is amazing.

Zeeshan
April 15, 2011, 02:09 AM
Is it just me or worst are the Sri Lankan venues? [/nohate]

I mean first there are those annoying fanfares with god knows what. (More annoying than vuvuzela). And then add to that dead pitches.

Waca sounds interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WACA_Ground

One World
April 15, 2011, 03:07 AM
Hope to watch a test in Perth, Lords and Eden.
Hope to watch an ODI in Mirpur, Premadasa, Christchurch, Cardiff, Saint Lucia
Hope to watch a T20 in nowhere

Naimul_Hd
April 15, 2011, 03:44 AM
Dream stadiums : SCG, MCG, Sabina Park (WI).

Night_wolf
April 15, 2011, 03:46 AM
this is also an awesome stadium Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association Stadium (http://www.espncricinfo.com/indian-premier-league-2011/content/ground/58056.html)...it says the view is fantastic from the ground

MohammedC
April 15, 2011, 03:54 AM
Wormsley. Bangladesh played twice in this ground before 2009 T20 WC. I went there once. Beautiful place. I was lucky to watch one of those match.

http://www.wormsleycricket.co.uk/pagesimages/pavillion.jpg

http://www.wormsleycricket.co.uk/newsimages2010on/newsholdingimage.jpg

Ajfar
April 15, 2011, 07:59 AM
Did you go to the cricket museum?

I did. And the guy told me I couldn't take any pictures, but I did it anyway. I managed to take picture of Aminul's bat, a helmet signed by all the players who played for Bangladesh in our first ever test match and the trophy presented to BCB for becoming a test nation.

Neel Here
April 15, 2011, 08:04 AM
what is that ground in south africa that has a mountain on one side ? pretty awesome.

Zeeshan
April 15, 2011, 10:50 AM
what is that ground in south africa that has a mountain on one side ? pretty awesome.

table mountain in cape town?

Mahir
April 15, 2011, 11:46 PM
Always wanted to play at the Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club (the venue for Ind-Pak's Sahara Cup that used to be held in the late 90s), and ultimately was fortunate to get to play one game there in 2007. Also had a chance to play at the King City ground earlier that year.

But the ultimate ground to get to play at would be SBNCS, without a doubt. And like everyone else, Lord's is always special and everyone wants to play there :)

Haru-party
April 17, 2011, 01:46 AM
ofcourse SBNS.

Yasin.
April 17, 2011, 09:15 AM
Dubai Cricket Stadium [with its ring of fire]?

even Abu Dhabi has a decent ground.

Nocturnal
April 17, 2011, 04:47 PM
Jagannath Hall Math @ DU!

dolcevita
April 17, 2011, 05:37 PM
Eden garden
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

Neel Here
April 17, 2011, 08:00 PM
table mountain in cape town?

that's the one !

Sohel
April 17, 2011, 11:02 PM
My favorite wenooze are as follows:

1) Lords

2) Perth

3) Antigua

4) SBNS

5) Chittagong

One World
April 17, 2011, 11:37 PM
Jagannath Hall Math @ DU!

I actually played a match their as a 12th man.

Sohel
April 17, 2011, 11:40 PM
I actually played a match their as a 12th man.

I grew up right behind it at No 7 University Bungalow before moving to the US. I have fond memories of watching inter-departmental matches there. Always rooted for Physics of course :)

mac
April 22, 2011, 10:48 AM
That ground beside my school where few 6 stories buildings stand now.

roman
April 22, 2011, 11:07 AM
Abahoni Maath AKA Dhanmondi cricket stadium. have lot of memories there...

Jonas
April 22, 2011, 11:15 AM
1. Lord's - The Home of Cricket

2. Edgbaston.
Not because the ground is pretty -- which it isn't -- but because of the "bullring" atmosphere. Especially during Ashes test matches, the atmosphere is out of this world. And of course, because it hosted the greatest test match ever played in 2005.

3. Sydney Cricket Ground.
The ground is not only beautiful, but it also has the best test match wicket in the world. SCG almost always seems to produce thrilling test matches.

4. Wanderers, Johannesburg.
Not during test matches, but during ODI's and T20s. Again, because of the "bullring" atmosphere. And because it produced the greatest 50-over game ever played.

5. Shere Bangla Stadium, Mirpur
The most world class cricket stadium in the subcontinent. After the rennovation for the WC it looks even more awesome.

cricketbow
July 13, 2011, 05:30 AM
I will prefer pert cricket ground.

sarika123
July 20, 2011, 01:49 AM
Hi ........
I think the Lords test in that Ashes series was already over before I went to England. I got a tour of the stadium, and even got to visit the visiting team's dressing room. The view from that balcony is pretty sweet. The only thing that I don't like about the stadium is its kind of small....

regards.....

sarika

lyleneil
July 20, 2011, 04:35 AM
Some of my favourite cricket venues are:
1.The Oval Cricket Ground
2.Eden Gardens
3.Old Trafford Cricket Ground
4.Sahara Park Newlands
5.Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Navo
July 28, 2011, 05:07 PM
this is also an awesome stadium Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association Stadium (http://www.espncricinfo.com/indian-premier-league-2011/content/ground/58056.html)...it says the view is fantastic from the ground

http://static.cricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/116200/116258.2.jpg

I completely agree. This would definitely rank right up there as one of the stadiums with the best surrounding scenery. I've spent quite a bit of time in Himachal Pradesh, particularly McLeodganj/Dharamsala and the vistas of the mountains are stunning. I don't know about the quality of the facilities or the wicket but if I remember correctly, in the IPL 2011 Gilchrist scored a fiery century to the backdrop of thunder and lightning. I'll remember that for a long time.

Scenery wise, I also think the stadiums in St. Lucia (Beausejour Cricket Ground), Trinidad (the Queen's Park Oval), Cape Town (Newlands), Adelaide are fantastic. In regards to stadiums in the subcontinent, I remember seeing pictures of a stadium in Sri Lanka where spectators could watch the match from an old fort! I can't remember where it was but I thought that was quite cool.

Atmosphere wise, I think Eden Gardens, Sharjah, the 'Bullring' (Wanderers) are great for ODIs while Old Trafford, Perth, Lords are great for Tests. While I came to love cricket as a child in the mid-to-late 90s watching India vs. Pakistan in Sharjah, the old Bangabandhu stadium and SBNS Mirpur will always be special for some of the great matches Bangladesh has played there :)

Navo
July 28, 2011, 05:22 PM
I've never been to New Zealand, but the Basin Reserve in Wellington, University Oval in Dunedin (where Bangladesh played!) and Seddon Park in Hamilton look like great places to unwind and watch cricket. Imagine watching a high-quality Test match with family and friends while reclining on a grass bank and enjoying a picnic?! Kokhon je shei bhago ta hobei...

http://p.imgci.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/88300/88393.jpg
Basin Reserve, Wellington

http://www.odt.co.nz/files/story/2010/02/the_otago_cricket_association_is_hoping_for_a_good _7303654564.JPG
University Oval, Dunedin

http://p.imgci.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/88100/88142.jpg
Seddon Park, Hamilton

lighting1
August 29, 2011, 02:08 AM
My favorite Cricket venue is The Lord's, England

al-Sagar
August 29, 2011, 11:25 AM
my display pic says it all

zinatf
October 23, 2011, 02:28 AM
1. MCG

2. Lords

3. ZACS (chilo to...kintu drainage system er ja obostha.....:S)

Naimul_Hd
October 23, 2011, 03:49 AM
1. MCG

2. Lords

3. ZACS (chilo to...kintu drainage system er ja obostha.....:S)

Have you been to these stadiums ?

Maysun
October 23, 2011, 05:20 AM
I've been to only two cricket stadiums, SBNS at Mirpur and Chinnaswamy at Bangalore but I really love the imposing structure of the MCG!

F6_Turbo
October 23, 2011, 05:26 AM
The MCG is brilliant - when it's full(say for a Boxing Day match) it is unreal. Obviously cricket crowds in Australia don't sing/chant like they do in England - so the atmosphere isn't quite the same, or constantly scream with religious fervour like they do in the subcontinent with every 4/6, but it is brilliant in it's own way.

zinatf
November 13, 2011, 12:25 AM
Have you been to these stadiums ?

MCG and ZACS....YES! But Lords...how I wish to go there....ohh and not to mention Eden Gardens...would lo9ve to go there as well :D