PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Cup Playoffs 2011

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sohel
April 17, 2011, 12:16 AM
Show no mercy, leave no doubt! Let's go Red Wings, bring the 12th title home this year.

<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="catid=35&id=109063&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="catid=35&id=109063&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

AsifTheManRahman
April 17, 2011, 01:00 AM
Who will it be? I have a suspicion the Canucks, albeit all their glory so far, will fall short in the end. Tampa Bay? Nah. Pens? Probably not. Canadiens? No. Red Wings? Maybe. Blackhawks? Doubt it. Too early to tell, way too early.

AsifTheManRahman
April 17, 2011, 01:26 AM
Could be the Flyers or the Capitals too!

Sohel
April 17, 2011, 08:23 AM
I've liked our chances pretty much every year since '95 but this year I'm not so sure. Datsyuk came back with a bang, much to our joy and relief, but we're still missing Zetterberg. Not a good when we're playing an excellent, more mature Coyotes team led by Doan and his guys in the first round. Almost blew a seemingly insurmountable lead in game 2 to those guys who play a similar puck possession, cycling and back-checking game as we do. I hope we continue to use our depth and move on to the second round with Zetterberg back in action. He plays with a lot of heart and won't take too long to find his natural rhythm and timing once he's in.

I wouldn't count Kane and the Hawks out yet. Champions have a way of digging deep and coming out on top. The Sharks and Kings are also solid but without the skill and imagination it takes to go all the way, IMHO.

The Pens face a spirited team in Tampa but will go probably go through in the end. If Vinny and his Bolts can manage to beat the Pens, I won't count on it, they may go far. The winner of the Boston-Habs series may also go far. Philly is a tough team of overachievers like LA and SJ in the West and like them, lack the quality to win it all, IMHO. Then there's the Caps. All in all the East looks a bit more competitive than the West.

Nocturnal
April 17, 2011, 04:46 PM
Canucks or Canadiens!! :)

Beamer
April 18, 2011, 10:35 AM
Its always good to have a SCF thread opened by Sohel.

I have no expectation from my Pens. They are hard workers, but short on skill right now. We can't score goals. So, if we don't play great defense, we have no chance. And, the PP is non-existent. When a team like ours is built on Centers, missing two of the best five centers in the league is a tall task indeed. Still, big kudos to Danny B for changing our style on the fly late January, knowing we won't have those guys back. One benefit : I can watch the playoffs more objectively. Tampa will beat us in six. We will scrap for another win, maybe two..

East : Montreal is going to beat Boston. Caps are good defensively this year. I think they will handle Rangers. Philly is probably the deepest team in East. I look for them to come out against Buffalo, unless Miller steals the series.

West : Hawks are done. Red Wings beats Coyotes. I think the Preds-Ducks go game 7. Sharks are much better than Kings and will eventually come out.

I do have a new found appreciation for Red Wings way. Why? After we realized we will be shorthanded rest of the season, Michigan boy Danny B announces in Jan that Pens will follow the Red Wings model ( much to my disappointment ). What is it? Its playing defense as a five man unit. Everybody back checking, puck possession, and grind out your opponent by crashing the net. We have had some success doing exactly that in regular season in later months. But, obviously we are missing the elite talent to take advantage of power plays and goals scoring. But, a great model nonetheless. And, when Danny B says it, I have to admire and follow the Wings model to see what he is talking about. He is the coach of the year in my book, even though we will get bounced very soon..

Sohel
April 18, 2011, 10:36 PM
Leading the Yotes 2-0 after 1 for a 3-0 lead in the series. Great to see the Bruins get one back.

@Beamer-Dan is the man for sure. Kudos to the Pens for continuing to win.

Sohel
April 18, 2011, 10:43 PM
VF scores early in the 2nd, 3-0 Wings. Great to see 3rd and 4th liners stepping up to score as usual.

Nocturnal
April 18, 2011, 11:03 PM
3-1 Wings ... 5 mins to go 2nd period!

Sohel
April 18, 2011, 11:14 PM
Much better stuff from the Yotes, 3-1 Wings after 2. Howard made some good saves.

Sohel
April 18, 2011, 11:46 PM
The Mule puts us ahead 4-1 with a breakaway goal. Soft hands for such a big guy :)

Sohel
April 18, 2011, 11:51 PM
Our PP's totally off tonight.

Sohel
April 18, 2011, 11:56 PM
Another PPG for the Yotes as Whitney scores. 4-2 Wings with under 7 to play.

Sohel
April 19, 2011, 12:11 AM
Datsyuk misses the ENG as we hold on to a 4-2 win, now leading 3-0 in the series. Zetterberg has more time to recover now :)

Howard won this one for us and great to see the guys not panic facing their sustained 2 minute assault.

Beamer
April 19, 2011, 10:23 AM
Yet another scrappy win for the Pens. Bolts are only scoring on PP's. They have terrific skill players up front. St.Louis is something special. Stamkos is completely being shadowed by Michalek. What a signing he has been for us. Coyotes could have used him for sure. Our PP is just garbage now. We can't enter the zone. We can't set up and when we do, the point men misses the net or gets blocked when he shoots. No more Crosby down low or Malkin on the half wall. They drove D-men backskating. Now, they just stand on the blueline to deny. Once again, we have to play great defense, get great goaltending from Fleury and use our speed 5 on 5 to get goals from turnovers. Without effective PP, we will be doomed sooner or later.

I was watching the Wings-Yotes last night. The Yotes goalie was terrible. Off his angles all night. They are trying to thug it up. It won't work with Wings. They just turn the other cheek. Trust me on that. We tried that route before, but at least we had some skill, unlike the Yotes.

BTW, Whatever happened to Istylish Cricketer ?

cricman
April 19, 2011, 11:03 AM
I love how, all Canadiens (not the team) all pulls for any team from Canada to take the Cup.

Big game tommorow, down 2-1 in the series. Need to help Lundqvist with some offense. I'm talking to you Marion Gaborik, get healthy and grow a Pair and Score!

Beamer
April 19, 2011, 02:52 PM
I love how, all Canadiens (not the team) all pulls for any team from Canada to take the Cup.

Big game tommorow, down 2-1 in the series. Need to help Lundqvist with some offense. I'm talking to you Marion Gaborik, get healthy and grow a Pair and Score!

I like the interview sessions between Torts and Larry Brooks though. Callahan was a big loss for you guys.

Mahir
April 19, 2011, 04:57 PM
very little interest in the East. That's how it always is for me, given that the leafs aren't in the post-season, and that my "other" fav teams are all in the West.

Rooting for Detroit and LAKings. Hope they face each other in the finals :)

Sohel
April 20, 2011, 12:30 AM

That's what happens when "their" game finds way greener pastures south of the border and excellent players everywhere including in the Minnow States of America. That being said, Arizona has never been green.

The LoseRonto (always "just 2 years away" from winning the Cup since 1967) discourse in particular is always interesting in a petulant, jingoistic sort of way. Moronisms such as Europeans aren't physical (Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Ovechkin, Malkin, Backstrom, Fedorov etc, etc, etc notwithstanding) or Americans aren't skilled (Kane and others notwithstanding) are always more amusing.

Big game tomorrow, down 2-1 in the series. Need to help Lundqvist with some offense. I'm talking to you Marion Gaborik, get healthy and grow a Pair and Score!

I see the Rangers prevailing in a close, 2OT-type contest or getting blown-away by the end of 2.

I have faith in Chicago and Boston to come back strong in game 4. Sharks-Kings go to OT tied 5-5 in game 3.

Sohel
April 20, 2011, 01:01 AM
The Sharks pull-off the OTW. This one's going to 7.

Beamer
April 20, 2011, 11:24 AM
Sohel

You do really dislike the Leafs ! lol.. But, in all fairness, I don't think they are that far away this time. They have a great budding young forward line. Kessel is a proven scorer. The emergence of Grabovski and Kulemin ( ding ding..Russian ) is true. They also have McArthur, another budding winger. They are missing an elite Center, and it looks like they will go after Brad Richards big time. Reimer is an emerging good goalie. Their defense has some big names, but needs some cohesion and proper coaching. They just missed the playoffs this time. I really think they are on the verge next year, but I could be wrong. But, they do have a good young team. However, their GM, Burke is too obsessed with rock 'em sock 'em style. In post lock out, its not a good theme to build your team primarily on that. But, I do sense a change.

Some Russian players can play a good brand of physical game. I won't say all European can, but some Russians can. Anyway, that's not the biggest barometer of your worthiness.

Sharks pulled it off last night being down 4-0. That is a huge momentum swing for them. If they lost, I think they would have choked again quickly. Kings are missing Kopitar. None of these two will go far with their goaltending.

After watching some games in the West ( I rarely do ), it looks to me that Wings are the best team. Canucks are second best. We will see how they recover from the pasting they took last night.

Sohel
April 20, 2011, 08:27 PM
The LoseRonto thang goes way back and beyond the Original 6 rivalry of the past. That rivalry was intense and created Hawks fans in LoseRonto and Habs fans in Detroit by default.

But their incessantly dumb and mean-spirited taunting during our fabled Dead Wings years is something Red Wings fans in Michigan & Southern Ontario, other places in the US and Canada (especially Western Canada) will never forget. They persisted with that BS even when we started making the playoffs, 20 straight years now, and didn't quiet down until we started to win the Cup. They should expect the same from the Red Wings Nation until they win the Cup again, something unlikely in our lifetime unless they move to some US city.

Sohel
April 20, 2011, 10:14 PM
Solid, "character" win for the Malkin-Crosbyless Pens in 2OT against an offensively superior side. Wonderful job shutting down Stamkos and crowding Vinny well, and slowing down St. Louis just enough during key moments. Unfortunate loss for the Rangers in 2OT. Well, when the puck doesn't bounce your way, the puck doesn't bounce your way!

2-2 Wings after 1 with Bryzgalov playing well. Helm and Eaves combine to tie it up.

Sohel
April 20, 2011, 11:16 PM
3-3 after 2. Our PP's getting better.

Sohel
April 20, 2011, 11:54 PM
4-3 Wings as Cleary scores the go-ahead goal with 6 left in the game. Tough angle.

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 12:01 AM
Bertuzzi scores, 5-3 Wings.

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 12:07 AM
Pavel misses another ENG, incredible!

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 12:10 AM
Eaves scores the ENG, 6-3 Wings and that may have been the last NHL game in Arizona.

F6_Turbo
April 21, 2011, 12:56 AM
Caps :smug:

We will of course win nothing again this season :(

Mahir
April 21, 2011, 02:23 AM
As much relieved as I am to see Detroit avoiding any possible banana skin by taking care of the Phoenix series early, I've always had a soft corner for the Coyotes - you know, hockey in desert n all, and no superstar-type name in the lineup, yet they always came up with decent show on ice.

Real tough night for King Henrik and Rollie the Goalie, esp King Henrik. What a bonehead that Gaborik guy is...

cricman
April 21, 2011, 07:42 AM
After they tied it up ,I didn't even bother watching the OT's ... knowing what it would do to my stomache and heart

Awful loss, no other words to describe it

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 07:50 AM
Yotes are a hugely underrated team with excellent Czech players.Those guys can skate, move the puck and grind it out with the best of them. Byzgalov is usually very good between the pipes also. Rumor has it that the NHL found guys with deep enough pockets to move them back to Winnipeg.

I'm happy about the sweep because of the extra time this gives Zetterberg. Franzen was a late scratch tonight and nobody knows why. He skated during the warm-up and everything. I continue to be impressed by our amazing 3rd and 4th lines. Helm and Val are definitely ready for promotion in a couple of years max. Abdel Kader in 3 InshAllah. The Griffins continue to develop more to fill those spaces when they become available. Miller, Eaves and Cleary are classic 3rd and 4th liners like Draper and Maltby.

It was nice to see local boy Modano play with so much heart. Bertuzzi's goals are always a relief.

Beamer
April 21, 2011, 10:48 AM
Cricman- you must be sick in your stomach. A 3-0 lead in playoffs is almost a dagger in the opponent's heart, especially when you have a goalie like Henrik and a very good defense in front of him. I am not sure if Rangers can recover from this. One thing about Lundquist : He stands very deep in his crease, and that makes him vulnerable to some odd goals from time to time. I have seen a lot of him over the years ( same division ) and we usually get a weird goal or two every year from him, because he stands so deep. Shooting high on him is advisable. But, no question he is a great goalie.

Sohel- The Wings-Leafs dynamic reminds me of Browns -Steelers rivalry, except there is no rivalry. There used to be, like 30 -40 years ago, but they are in the bottom of the pile, and we are always a top five team in the league every year, year after year. But, it doesn't stop their fans to direct all kinds of sh*t coming our way. Losers. Yotes were never a threat to Wings. They are a glorified grinding team, and that goalie is just sub-par. They never had a chance. I have watched two Wings games in a row now ( in between Pens game ), and I have managed to admire one Wing player who I think the world of. Darren Helm. He is a sick man. He never stops.

Huge 'character' win for our Pens. On paper, they should blow our doors out, considering what we are missing, and what they have on offense- St.Louis, Stamkos, Vinny, Gagne, Malone etc. We missed our top goal scorer as well last night. Kunitz was serving the suspension. But, like I said earlier, Dan B has the boys playing his system. We won't deviate from it. We know our limitations and we will win or lose sticking by his system. We block shots, we crash the net, we grind out the board- all things you must do when you are offensively challenged. Since Crosby and Malkin went out, our Goals per game dropped by huge margin. I think we scored more than two goals once in last three months of regular season, but, our goals against also dropped by a whopping margin. So, we stayed afloat. Is this a Stanley Cup team ? No way. Not even close. But, I really am enjoying watching these boys fight for every single inch. If by a miracle #87 returns ( he has a spinal concussion- can't be messed with, he is just too valuable for our franchise ), and Cooke also returns from suspension, things will change, and I might have to start dreaming big. But, until then..just enjoying the games.

Martin St.Loius is the man. He is the one man show. We can't stop him. Orpik has taken Stamkos out of this series with that hit in Game 1. He is a shadow and only roaming the perimeter. You can't score goals on us roaming the outside. Our D men are very good at collapsing in front of Fleury. We hope to close it on Sat. Do not want to go back to Tampa.

Beamer
April 21, 2011, 10:53 AM
Also, Stamkos has been a target. We hit him at every opportunity. Young guy is just lost. Playoffs is a different beast. He is finding that out..

Beamer
April 21, 2011, 11:31 AM
http://video.penguins.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=912&id=110234

Backstage following the OT win ! Very excited Geno and business like Sid.

AsifTheManRahman
April 21, 2011, 04:17 PM
Could be all over for the defending champs tonight.

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 08:38 PM
Habs and Bruins go into OT, 4-4 after regulation.

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 08:56 PM
And the Bruins do it again as Ryder scores the GWG in OT. Series tied 2-2.

Expecting the Hawks to do the same to Wankuwah.

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 09:23 PM
Hossa splits the Wankuwah D and snaps one oWah Luongo's gloveside. Keith scores 24 seconds later and it's 2-0 Hawks.

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 09:40 PM
3-0 Chicago and the @$$whoopin's on.

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 09:46 PM
Sharp blows the breakaway goal opp, could've been 4-0

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 09:49 PM
Wankuwah D is too easily penetrable. Long night of repeated exposure ahead.

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 09:53 PM
@Beamer: football is to Western PA what hockey is to Michigan bro. Naturally the Steelers and the Red Wings are expected to win it every season, and every season they get close enough to win it :)

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 10:12 PM
4-0 Hawks as Hossa beats Luongo high gloveside on a breakaway :lol:

Beamer
April 21, 2011, 10:15 PM
Canucks choking at home. Lounge pulled again. Where are the dynamic duo of Sedins? No where. 5-0 now...lol
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (1)

Beamer
April 21, 2011, 10:16 PM
Louongo

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 10:16 PM
Keith scores his second of the game, 5-0 Hawks.

Beamer
April 21, 2011, 10:18 PM
Canadiens lost, but their passing is something to behold. They do more east west tape to tape passing then any team around. Superlative.

Beamer
April 21, 2011, 10:21 PM
Sedin just tried to wave in the air in mock punching attempt. I bet Cleo the cat has more bite in those paws !

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 10:38 PM
Sedin just tried to wave in the air in mock punching attempt. I bet Cleo the cat has more bite in those paws !

She does! There are Sedins-type one dimensional Swedes and then there's the Lidstrom, Kronwall, Ericsson, Eriksson, Forsberg, Zetterberg, Franzen, Sundstrom, Sundin and Backstrom type strong two-way players. Fighting isn't their style but they hit hard and clean. Samuelsson was the only exception to the rule. He was a dirty player.

AsifTheManRahman
April 21, 2011, 10:38 PM
Sharks vs Kings will go to game 7.

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 10:43 PM
Kesler's lack of offensive output is costing his team bigtime. Had the Sedins been decent backcheckers, that'd been easier.

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 10:44 PM
Sharks vs Kings will go to game 7.

I think so too. Two evenly matched teams but the extra desire from Pavelski and Setoguchi will push the Sharks ahead. Those two beat us down last year with just that.

AsifTheManRahman
April 21, 2011, 10:45 PM
What's the point of fighting when the two teams are 5 goals apart?

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 10:46 PM
F-ed up headshot to end the period! True Wankuwah stuff.

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 10:53 PM
Loving JR behind the desk. What presence!

AsifTheManRahman
April 21, 2011, 10:55 PM
Sharks put in three in no time.

AsifTheManRahman
April 21, 2011, 10:58 PM
Richardson puts one past Niemi to tighten the deficit. 3 - 1, Sharks.

Beamer
April 21, 2011, 10:59 PM
She does! There are Sedins-type one dimensional Swedes and then there's the Lidstrom, Kronwall, Ericsson, Eroksson, Forsberg, Zetterberg, Franzen, Sundstrom, Sundin and Backstrom type strong two-way players. Fighting isn't their style but they hit hard and clean. Samuelsson was the only exception to the rule. He was a dirty player.
Ulf? No way bro. He was not a dirty player. He played hard. He is a cult hero here. His son got drafted by us. Playing in Boston college. His dad says his son has more bite than him. Can't wait to see him in our system next year.

Beamer
April 21, 2011, 11:01 PM
I think so too. Two evenly matched teams but the extra desire from Pavelski and Setoguchi will push the Sharks ahead. Those two beat us down last year with just that.

But they are led by Jumbo Joe. Another guy who will never win anything.

Beamer
April 21, 2011, 11:03 PM
What's the point of fighting when the two teams are 5 goals apart?

Message sending. Hockey way for you.

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 11:04 PM
I know all about the soft spot bro, he played for us too. I prefer to call a spade a spade. He took the underhanded slash across the ankle to a whole new level.

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 11:05 PM
But they are led by Jumbo Joe. Another guy who will never win anything.

He's one of many Jumbos who fail to show up in the playoffs.

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 11:08 PM
I'm still watching the Hawks. HUGE fan of Kane here. Easily the most skilled American forward since LaFontaine.

Beamer
April 21, 2011, 11:08 PM
I know all about the soft spot bro, he played for us too. I prefer to call a spade a spade. He took underhanded slashes across the ankles to a whole new level.

He he...Ulf was the man though.

Beamer
April 21, 2011, 11:09 PM
I'm still watching the Hawks. HUGE fan of Kane here. Easily the most skilled American forward since LaFontaine.

No doubt. He is so slippery. I am amazed by ST. Louis though. Guy is special.

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 11:12 PM
We traded him and he ended up with Philly, the perfect team for his kind. He's an assistant coach for the Yotes now BTW :)

Beamer
April 21, 2011, 11:14 PM
Zack Parise could be better all around player than Kane. He is a spirited player.

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 11:14 PM
No doubt. He is so slippery. I am amazed by ST. Louis though. Guy is special.

He is. He reminds me of a speedier, less two-way Brind'Amour but with the type of recognition Rod never got for his skills and accuracy.

Beamer
April 21, 2011, 11:16 PM
We traded him and he ended up with Philly, the perfect team for his kind. He's an assistant coach for the Yotes now BTW :)

Yea. He is coaching for them. He played for Rangers too. He ended Cam Neelys career.

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 11:16 PM
Zack Parise could be better all around player than Kane. He is a spirited player.

Kane is special because of his Mario-like vision and reading of the game, amazingly accurate shots at full flow, and little hesitation moves that open momentary lanes for him to shoot through.

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 11:18 PM
Parise is a better two-way player for sure as is Kesler.

Beamer
April 21, 2011, 11:21 PM
Watch out for Claude Giroux of Flyers. That guy is great. Too bad he plays for Philtadelphia. So, he is a scumbag.

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 11:22 PM
I'm actually happy that Hossa found a club he won't leave. A supremely skilled player like him deserves that.

Beamer
April 21, 2011, 11:22 PM
Off to bed. Bye gentlemen. Asif - have a good vaca !

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 11:23 PM
Watch out for Claude Giroux of Flyers. That guy is great. Too bad he plays for Philtadelphia. So, he is a scumbag.

Those thugs know their thuggery for sure.

Sohel
April 21, 2011, 11:24 PM
Good night Beamer. Good to watching hockey with you buddy :)

Sohel
April 22, 2011, 12:50 AM
I. West

- Red Wings (already happened 4-0)
- Black Hawks (4-3)
- Sharks (4-3)
- Ducks (4-3)

II. East

-Caps (4-2)
-Pens (4-2)
-Bruins (4-3)
-Sabres (4-3)

Don't see any Canadian teams in the second round this year.

Sohel
April 22, 2011, 01:07 AM
These guys play hard, tough and clean. Anyone at the end of a legal full-body check knows what pain is. You don't need to resort to thuggery when using your body and stick to separate an opponent from the puck and the puck from your opponent. Fights are another matter.

Being a Red Wings fan, I've always been partial to the Selke, Norris and Lady Byng trophies.

Lady Byng finalists: Eriksson, Lidstrom, St. Louis
Thursday, 04.21.2011 / 12:00 PM / Trophy Tracker
By David Kalan - NHL.com Staff Writer

The Lady Byng Trophy's nominees tend to have a familiar ring every year. For a trophy awarded to the "player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability," it shouldn't be surprising the Lady Byng has a penchant for repeat winners, given players tend not to alter their playing style. Wayne Gretzky has taken home the award five times and Pavel Datsyuk won it four consecutive seasons until Tampa Bay's Martin St. Louis took the honors a year ago.

As a result of those trends, it should shock no one that St. Louis is getting a chance to defend his title as a finalist this year -- but the two other nominees joining him present a potentially historic victor as well as some fresh blood in the race. Detroit defenseman Nicklas Lidstrom could be the first blueliner in 57 years to take home the prize, while Dallas winger Loui Eriksson is up for the award for the first time in his career.

In the case of the current title holder, St. Louis' nomination is a no-brainer. Not only has he continued to be a dynamic producer -- his 99 points are second most in the League -- but few players can so impressively mesh scoring ability with team play. In addition to his 31 goals in the regular season, St. Louis' 68 assists were the second most in the League. This season St. Louis helped young sniper Steven Stamkos continue to mature, while also helping the Lightning earn their first playoff spot in four years.

But what makes St. Louis an obvious finalist and the odds-on favorite to take the Byng home again is his knack for avoiding the sin bin. In a full 82 games this season, St. Louis picked up just 12 penalty minutes.

St. Louis could face some competition for the award from Lidstrom, who has already overcome the considerable handicap of plying his trade on the back end. Lidstrom's Lady Byng victory, should it happen, would make him the first defenseman since Detroit's Red Kelly in 1954 to take home the trophy. His credentials as a great defenseman are well established, and his six Norris trophies are just one reason that he'll wind up in the Hall of Fame, but with the primary task of shutting down opponents' top offensive players, it's almost a given that most defensemen will have to spend some quality time in the penalty box.

Lidstrom turned that given on its head this season, picking up just 10 minor penalties in 82 games. Those low penalty totals don't hinder his contributions either. Lidstrom's 62 points were the second most among d-men this season, an even more remarkable feat considering Lidstrom will turn 41 next week.

Eriksson is the newcomer to this group, but if his numbers this season are any indication, it won't be the last time he gets consideration. The Swede set career highs in assists (46) and points (73), helping Dallas challenge for a playoff spot until the season's final day. While the Stars lost in Minnesota to cede the West's final berth to Chicago, it was through no fault of Eriksson, who had 3 assists that game. Considering how helpful he can be when he's on the ice, it's a boon for the Stars to know their young forward stays on the ice. Eriksson spent less time in the box than just about everyone else, putting together a resume that has more power-play goals (10) than PIMs (8). In fact, 652 players wracked up more penalty minutes than Eriksson this season, setting a tone that would seem to imply his name will be among Lady Byng finalists for years to come.

The Lady Byng Trophy will be awarded at the 2011 NHL Awards in Las Vegas on June 22.

LINK (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=560493)

Mahir
April 22, 2011, 03:08 AM
Sohel- The Wings-Leafs dynamic reminds me of Browns -Steelers rivalry, except there is no rivalry. There used to be, like 30 -40 years ago, but they are in the bottom of the pile, and we are always a top five team in the league every year, year after year. But, it doesn't stop their fans to direct all kinds of sh*t coming our way. Losers.

Not sure if that's a general comment on your part, or anything else. Would appreciate if you clarify.

Beamer
April 22, 2011, 10:09 AM
Not sure if that's a general comment on your part, or anything else. Would appreciate if you clarify.

Talking football. Cleveland Browns vs Pittsburgh Steelers, and Browns fans talking smack towards Steelers fans.

Mahir
April 23, 2011, 01:42 AM
Ah - thanks for clarifying. Had me confused...

Sohel
April 23, 2011, 02:13 AM
The Sabres and Preds win and take a 3-2 lead in their respective series, This Miller-centric Sabres team reminds me of the Hasek-centric teams of the past. The Preds are better than last year for sure but the Ducks have Selanne. Never count old horses out during this time of the year, and I expect game 7s with lots of OTs until the Sabres and Ducks prevail and move on.

Sohel
April 23, 2011, 02:23 AM
So happy to see Junior get the "A". We continue to develop elite players through the system.

While Lidstrom and Rafalski continue to be topflight NHL defensemen, it was Niklas Kronwall who received acclamation from the Wings’ coach for his work in the Western Conference quarterfinals.

“Obviously, Lidstrom and Rafalski are elite league players,” Babcock said, “but Kronwall’s the guy in our organization who has to come to the forefront here.”

For a guy whose name is often used in hockey circles as a verb – as in the Kronwalled hits that Wings’ fans have come to expect – the 30-year-old defenseman had a far greater scope in the team’s four-game series sweep of the Phoenix Coyotes. Kronwall had three points, which led all Wings’ defensemen, delivered a team-high 13 hits, was a plus-6 and his power play goal late in the second period tied Game 4 at 3.

“He’s capable of playing the most minutes – on power play the penalty-kill or even-strength – and he can be the most active, physical guy, who can really make plays and we think he’s an elite player,” Babcock continued. “He’s a leader on our team. He’s vocal on the bench. He’s an important guy for us.”

In the 2010 playoffs, Kronwall was third among Wings defensemen in minutes played, averaging 23:15 of ice-time. Lidstrom averaged the most at 26:22 followed by Rafalski (23:58). But last week, Kronwall led the way at 22:24, followed by Rafalski (21:19), Brad Stuart (20:50), Jonathan Ericsson (19:36), Lidstrom (19:34) and Ruslan Salei (16:18).

The defensive minutes have been distributed with a purpose, all the while giving Kronwall greater responsibility.

“I think he makes a big difference,” Lidstrom said. “He’s out there killing penalties. He’s on the power play as well, and eating up a lot of minutes. When he was healthy for most of the season, he was great for us. I think he had a great year. After he got back from being out a few games, I thought he just picked it up again, so it’s great to see.”

The decrease in minutes – even 2-3 minutes a game – has been beneficial, particularly for the Wings’ senior defensemen.

“Nick and I don’t have to do penalty-kills, so it helps us be more effective on the power-play,” Rafalski said. “You saw our minutes in that entire first series, everybody was between 18 and 22 minutes every game. That’s what you like because you’re out there fresh every shift. If you get stuck out there for a long shift you don’t have to worry about going back out there in 30-seconds. You can play the other two parts and give yourself time to recover. It makes a huge difference defensively, and it allows us to apply more pressure and get out of our zone much easier.”

HANK’S RETURN: For the first time since suffering a knee injury in early April, Henrik Zetterberg practiced in a full contact practice.

If the Western Conference semifinals began this weekend, Zetterberg indicated that he wouldn’t be ready to return to action. However, since the Wings likely have 6-8 days off before the start of Round 2, the Wings’ star forward said he’ll play in Game 1.

“In six days, I’ll absolutely be ready to go,” he said.

The Wings have dealt without their two top scorers from the 2010 Stanley Cup playoffs. Johan Franzen, who missed Game 4 in Phoenix, led Detroit with 18 points last spring. Zetterberg was second with 15.

“I feel a lot better. It was basically my first full practice, so I’m on the right way,” Zetterberg said. “It’s good to get these days to get even better, so I’m looking forward to Round 2.”

Asked if he was rooting for the remaining Western Conference quarterfinals to go to seven games, Zetterberg said, “The more games they play, the better for us. But whoever we’re going to face is going to be a tough team, so we have to be at our best to move on.”

LINK (http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=560675&navid=DL|DET|home)

Beamer
April 23, 2011, 01:19 PM
We are stinking up the whole ice! What a stinker. Waste of my Sat. I am gonna go cut my grass now outside. I might smoke some of that grass..

Sohel
April 23, 2011, 10:40 PM
What an offensive explosion from the Bolts, coupled with defensive lapses and fatigue from the Pens after staring well enough! But I think this was an aberration and expect the Pens to resume their intensity and wrap things up in Tampa and advance to the next round.

Boston clearly has the advantage now after going down 0-2 in the series initially. Vezina nominee Tim Thomas' huge save in 2OT may as well turn out to be a series winning one, but I still expect this to go to game 7.

The Caps advance as expected but I expected the Rangers to win at least 2 in the series, oh well. The Sharks are down 0-3 after 1 and I don't think they're coming back. This series is well on its way to becoming a 7-gamer.

I expect Chicago, Philly and the Ducks to even their respective series at 3-3 and move on to game 7. Great playoff season so far with dramatic comebacks, OT games and so many game 7s in the making.

Sohel
April 24, 2011, 12:10 AM
51 saves from Jonathan Quick moves LA closer to game 7. What an underrated goalie he is! Another great AMERICAN goalie in the playoffs alongside Miller, Thomas and Howard :up:

Sohel
April 24, 2011, 05:26 AM
<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="catid=-6&id=110523&server=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="catid=-6&id=110523&server=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

Beamer
April 24, 2011, 11:20 AM
I need to lower my expectations from these Pens. The 3-1 lead gave me a false sense of security. Its clear that if we don't score first, we have no chance for a comeback, and that is not a good recipe. Tampa showed what elite players can do. You don't need much space to create something out of nothing. With our current roster, getting goals is tough enough, but when defense played like that, coupled with a bad game from Fleury, we had no chance. I think Tampa is going to tie the series tomorrow.

Only great news from yesterday : Malkin has started skating. He wasn't supposed to until after the playoffs, but the kid is a fast healer, and nobody is ruling him out yet ! Torn ACL and MCL is a six month recovery process, but Geno is 80% from what I hear. Its too late anyway...

AsifTheManRahman
April 24, 2011, 09:53 PM
Hawks take it to game 7!

Sohel
April 24, 2011, 10:10 PM
Hawks take it to game 7!

I thought it was going to happen even when they looked dead and buried. Just can't count-out the champs until the fat lady actually starts singing. Having said that, the Canadians should've won this game with those significantly better chances, but Crawford made some key saves when he had to in OT. One can say he stole this one. Luongo on the other hand, is totally out of sorts.

Weber and his Preds move on with a 4-2 series win. I expected a game 7 there also with the Ducks prevailing in the end. Sabres will beat Philly is game 7 and Miller will make the difference there.

All the other series are going to game 7 also unless the Pens bounce back, play with intensity and wrap it up 4-2. Never count a recent champion with a great young Michigander coach out even when they're without any real skill up front. I don't think Malkin at 80% would be enough in the next round once they make it there. Way too risky if you ask me. There's absolutely NO need to take such a risk with one of the best young players in the league, destined to be one of the greatest ever, with so much more to offer in the years to come. Crosby's doing the right thing here. LaFontaine didn't and look what happened to him :(

GREAT playoffs so far. This is why NOTHING's like the NHL in my book.

Beamer
April 25, 2011, 10:28 AM
Malkin is not going to play. There is no point in rushing him early like you said. Why take risk with such a great young player? Also, right on about Crosby. I will not bring him back either even if we advance. People forget how young they are. They haven't even reached 25 yet! So, whole career is ahead of them. I would like them to play together for another ten plus years at high level. Multiple championships in that span is well within goal.

Canucks are in trouble. Hawks are playing like champs now. I think they will beat Canucks in Game 7. Luongo is overrated. His price tag is also huge. His play doesn't match the numbers. Not in playoffs anyway.

I am not surprised the Ducks lost. If Ray Emery is your starting goalie, you should be in trouble. The guy wasn't even in the league last year. Ducks have two great lines, but questionable on defense, and a huge question mark in goal.

I think Flyers are gonna win it at home. They are the deepest team in East. They have four lines of scorers. They can score at any time. Its basically Miller vs Flyers next game.

Habs will take it to Game 7. Just my hunch.

Sohel
April 25, 2011, 10:34 AM
@Beamer: I honestly don't think it's time for the Pens exit. Any coach who can inspire a game 7 Stanley Cup victory against us at the Joe is nothing short of GREAT and I'm sure he's not done yet. The Pens defensive unit is excellent and the backchecking/forechecking by the "no-name" forwards has been superb also. Fleury at his best is as good as anyone in the league. Remember, the Devils have won several Cups that way. Don't give up on them yet bro :)

I'm not going to go into how I feel about Crosby, we've been down that road already, but he IS without any doubt, one of the greatest point-machines ever and has real hunger to be the best. Gotta admire that. Malkin is one of my 10 all-time favorite players in the league.

Beamer
April 25, 2011, 10:50 AM
I don't give up on them, but at some point, I have to be a realist. You do need game changers and at this point we don't have any. We are sticking by our system and thats the only way we can win games right now. I also think the last game was an aberration.

Ha ha...yea..we been down that road before. I also admire Zetterberg, though not a huge fan of him. We are big boys and we can agree to disagree. I have new found respect for Wings system. Its the best system and Babcock is by far the best coach in the league. We all have personal likes and dislikes, which is normal. I should have handled criticism of Crosby better, but without a question, he is one of the great young players of this era. And, the season he was having prior to concussion. He was on a mission. Anyway..

Sohel
April 25, 2011, 11:31 AM
Babcock's a great coach but I think Dan's better in terms of working with what he has.

Babcock's not as adaptive as Dan and looks a bit better than he is because he works with a well-established scouting and development system second to none in the league (just look at our main players, how they were drafted and developed, and where they were found). We have the deepest pipeline in hockey and continue to come up with great players developed in-house. Our senior guys also work as great mentors to players set to eventually replace them (Yzerman and Datsyuk, Lidstrom and Kronwall, Draper and Helm, Osgood and Howard, and more recently, Zetterberg and Abdel Kader and Datsyuk and Franzen). The club is wealthy and the front office savvy. The hockey-centric Michigander sports culture also keeps him fresh.

Beamer
April 25, 2011, 11:53 AM
Yea. Wings draft prowess is well known. They don't have high lottery picks like we did five-six years ago. Wings are always drafting low and they have found diamonds in the rough. Must be doing something right. Nobody questions their organization and the ability to be resourceful. They work like the Steelers in a sense. We draft low, very low, year after year, yet vast majority of our talent comes from in house drafted low. Never active on free agency either. Babcock is the best in my book. Dan is on his way and he should win the Jack Adams this year. 49 wins this year ain't too bad.

I got a story for you. You will get a kick out of it. We recently hired this Junior Analyst ( he could be spying on me right now ! ) from suburban Detroit. Big Wing nut and a tad annoying. Good kid, sharp, talks a lot and regularly finding various ways to annoy me. I am training him with a few others. The other day, I couldn't find my Crosby shirt ( Fridays are Pens day, or Steelers day when in season ). I knew he hid it. I found it laying on top of the shredder ! He is doing a lot of silly stuff, like replacing my Pens mousepad with Wingspad, which I threw away. He is very annoying. He better get some good points when his review is up. That's all I am saying : )

Sohel
April 25, 2011, 11:59 AM
That's a funny story!

Anyway, the Norris nominees have just been announced and surprise, surprise, St. Nick is there as usual. Babcock's thinking about putting him or Rafalski back on PK duties, the units have been pretty shoddy against the Yotes without them, until Zetterberg returns.

Norris nods go to Lidstrom, Chara and Weber

Lidstrom's campaign was simply more of what has become expected of the legendary defenseman. In 82 games, the four-time Cup winner had the second-most points of all defensemen this season, tallying 16 goals and 46 assists, an impressive total for any defenseman let alone one who turns 41 this week. In addition to providing a boost on the offensive end, Lidstrom has continued to shut down the opposition's top lines while staying out of the penalty box to an impressive extent, serving just 20 minutes in the sin bin all season. As Detroit's captain, Lidstrom led the Red Wings to a 20th consecutive postseason berth and their 14th division title since he was drafted in 1989.

LINK (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=560924)

Sohel
April 25, 2011, 06:58 PM
Pens 1-1 after 1. Dan made some adjustments and the Pens didn't come out as strongly as they did in game 5. You can come as great as they did but if you can't score after all that, you get demoralized just enough for the opposition to find holes in your D. Kovalev continues to be just as enigmatic and lazy as he has always been. Took a dumb penalty and got bailed out by the excellent PK. He better step up and score tonight. Pens need to spend more time at the other end and pepper Dwayne with as many shots as possible.

Vinny and St. Louis look unstoppable and need to be crowded pronto. Stamkos and Gagne cannot be allowed to skate with the puck as they have been a couple of times.

Sohel
April 25, 2011, 08:44 PM
Pens lose 2-4 as the Bolts take this back to Pittsburgh for game 7.

Sohel
April 26, 2011, 12:36 AM
Sharks win 4-3 in OT and take the series 4-2. Looking forward to having the opportunity to take revenge for last year, at some point in time.

Sohel
April 26, 2011, 12:39 AM
The Habs may take the series to game 7 before losing. I think Miller (American) will win the series for the Sabres and Kane (ALSO American) for the Hawks. Early exit for Canadian teams serves some of those arrogant hockey jingoists north of the border right.

Sohel
April 26, 2011, 04:40 AM
Looks like we'll play Nashville if Chicago beats Vancouver, or San Jose if Vancouver beats Chicago.

Sohel
April 26, 2011, 06:43 AM
Coach Babcock after Monday's practice.

<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="catid=-6&id=111127&server=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="catid=-6&id=111127&server=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

St. Nick after his 11th Norris nomination (he is a 6-time winner).

<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="catid=-6&id=111153&server=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="catid=-6&id=111153&server=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

Zetterberg after his first full practice.

<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="catid=-6&id=110542&server=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="catid=-6&id=110542&server=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

Beamer
April 26, 2011, 01:40 PM
We are gonna lose tomorrow. It is over. We don't deserve to win with a 1-30 PP. Our strength- Defense and Goalie- are bad now, to go along with offensive ineptitude. oh well..looking toward 2012 already. Even if by miracle we win tomorrow, this roster will get swept in next round. I got an offer to go tomorrow. But, declined. I would rather cry at home by myself.

AsifTheManRahman
April 26, 2011, 06:57 PM
Laying back and rooting for the two Canadian teams tonight, with a bunch of Canadians at a location near the tropics. The Canadiens will likely take it to game 7, but not sure the Canucks will survive.

Sohel
April 26, 2011, 08:34 PM
Looks like the Thugs got to Miller and the Sabres after all. Leading 3-0 after 2, they're likely to advance barring a miracle. The Habs are leading the Bruins 2-1 with less than 5 remaining in the game. Could go either way but will probably end up in game 7.

Sohel
April 26, 2011, 08:47 PM
And the Habs force game 7 despite wonderfully aggressive PK by the Bruins towards the very end.

Beamer
April 26, 2011, 09:31 PM
Thugs are a great team. They have so much scoring from so many different sources. Briere and Giroux, Richards and Carter, Leino and JVR, Hartnell and Versteeg. That's a terrific forward line. Not surprised they won. They are the deepest team in the East. Canadiens force a Game 7. I have changed my mind. I was mad earlier. I am going tomorrow to cheer on the boys, maybe for one last time. We played hard this year with blue collar team. They gave it all. That's all we ask for. One more time---let's go Pens...

Rinathq
April 26, 2011, 10:09 PM
Go caucks go!

Sohel
April 26, 2011, 10:18 PM
... I have changed my mind. I was mad earlier. I am going tomorrow to cheer on the boys, maybe for one last time. We played hard this year with blue collar team. They gave it all. That's all we ask for. One more time---let's go Pens...

:up:

Hawks are trailing 0-1 early in the 2nd of game 7.

Sohel
April 26, 2011, 10:29 PM
The Hawks look a lot more threatening with shorter dump-ins and quicker forechecking. The put-in a dead puck and it was rightly called back. Still 0-1.

Sohel
April 26, 2011, 10:31 PM
HUGE saves from Crawford during a Hawks PP. Aggressive PK is the way to go for sure.

Sohel
April 26, 2011, 10:35 PM
Another series of great saves from Crawford! The Hawks are defense losing battles along the boards. C'mon guys, D. Sedin's no Forsberg or Zetterberg, POUND him!

Sohel
April 26, 2011, 10:47 PM
Kane had his pocket picked right in front of goal, and Crawford keeps Chicago in the game. Lack of aggressive fore and back-checking and JQ's idiotic "zone defense" in even situations is creating space, forechecking opportunities and better chances for Vancouver. Looks like the old JQ is back. The one without creativity and inspiration.

Still 0-1 after 2.

Sohel
April 26, 2011, 11:03 PM
PS for Vancouver :facepalm:

Crawford SAVES!

Sohel
April 26, 2011, 11:11 PM
Dustin Byfuglien is SORELY missed here.

Sohel
April 26, 2011, 11:18 PM
Terrible defensive error from Seabrook almost gives Vancouver a 2-0 lead. Crawford to the rescue, again.

Rinathq
April 26, 2011, 11:21 PM
Go Canucks go! Lou go for shutout!

Sohel
April 26, 2011, 11:22 PM
Only Kane and Sharp are backchecking or trying to. Kesler has completely neutralized Toews.

Rinathq
April 26, 2011, 11:32 PM
Only Kane and Sharp are backchecking or trying to. Kesler has completely neutralized Toews.

:lol:

Rinathq
April 26, 2011, 11:34 PM
Penalty!!!

Sohel
April 26, 2011, 11:35 PM
PP with 3 left in game 7, trailing 0-1 and not cycling anything ... :facepalm:

Sohel
April 26, 2011, 11:37 PM
Toews SCORES the SHG! 1-1!!!

Sohel
April 26, 2011, 11:38 PM

Sohel
April 26, 2011, 11:41 PM
And game 7 goes to OT. What a time for Toews to score his first after looking dead and buried!

ialbd
April 26, 2011, 11:46 PM
kalke office er alochonay ektu patta pawar jonno khela ta dekhte boshchi.... for someone who watches 2 hockey games a year this is certainly a treat.... go Canucks....

Zeeshan
April 26, 2011, 11:48 PM
hahaha good one! ^

Sohel
April 26, 2011, 11:50 PM
Keith's defensive limitations have been exposed in this game. Great sniper from point, even better at coming out of the zone, but always a step too slow defensively after turning.

Sohel
April 26, 2011, 11:58 PM
Decent PP effort from the Hawks for once.

Sohel
April 27, 2011, 12:01 AM
Good PK from Vancouver, thanks in no small part to Chicago's terrible 2nd PP line.

Sohel
April 27, 2011, 12:04 AM
Vancouver advances! Terrible turnover leads to the goal. At least 1 Canadian team in the next round.

Sohel
April 27, 2011, 12:06 AM
So the Red Wings and Pens remain the only back-to-back finalists in recent times.

Sohel
April 27, 2011, 12:08 AM
My "home team" San Jose's next for us. Thank you GOD for giving us the opportunity to take revenge!

Rinathq
April 27, 2011, 12:19 AM
Yes Canucks!!!!
Shane O Brien will leave Vancouver crying :)
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

Beamer
April 27, 2011, 11:03 AM
So, Vhankoovar prevails. What a game it was. Hawks played like a champion that they were. What can you say about Crawford? He has star written all over him. Great series. Towes is so good. What a player! Its funny that the best players of Canucks are non-Canadiens ( Sedin sisters, Kesler, Mikael Samuelssen, Edler, Alberts, Erhoff...just saying ). Hawks are a very Canadien team. Ditto Pens. Almost exclusively Canadien. It doesn't matter really, but just a food for thought.

I think the Wings would have preferred Nashville, an offensively challenged team, but Sharks have a history of under performing ( last year an exception ). That series will be a dogfight, but Wings in six. I think Canucks will handle Preds. Their biggest roadblock over the years has been vanquished. I see Canucks going to West Finals.

I should be at CONSOL tonight. If you don't hear from me again in a year you will know why.

Sohel
April 27, 2011, 02:19 PM
The Red Wings Nation wants the Sharks because we want redemption.

Sohel
April 27, 2011, 02:23 PM
So, Vhankoovar prevails.

1. Bhenkubhar in Bangladesh.

2. Wankuwah in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Athar Ali Khan.

The Sedin sisters give real Swedes a bad name. Can't wait to teach them a thing or two about manhood when the time comes, but I'm sure they'll lose to Asaad's homies 4-2.

Ajfar
April 27, 2011, 09:12 PM
I know nothing about hockey. But everybody here is screaming cause Bruins won. So I might as well join in.
Go Bruins!!!!!!!!

Bancan
April 27, 2011, 09:24 PM
I know nothing about hockey. But everybody here is screaming cause Bruins won. So I might as well join in.
Go Bruins!!!!!!!!

Meanwhile in Montreal....RIOTS. I am not kidding.

Rinathq
April 27, 2011, 10:56 PM
Meanwhile in Montreal....RIOTS. I am not kidding.

Well they have reason for it. It is very bitter to lose out from one of the biggest rival. But they played well! They would want to get rid of Markov for a young def and I still think trading Halek was a bad idea......

Rinathq
April 27, 2011, 11:02 PM
1. Bhenkubhar in Bangladesh.

2. Wankuwah in India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Athar Ali Khan.

The Sedin sisters give real Swedes a bad name. Can't wait to teach them a thing or two about manhood when the time comes, but I'm sure they'll lose to Asaad's homies 4-2.

Funny how u say that of the pair that come top last 2 years on scoring! What did ur real swedes do?
Can't wait to face Red Wings, 4-0 is what i see! Datsyuk will not overcome Lou!

Sohel
April 27, 2011, 11:52 PM
So the Pens remarkable season comes' to an end. Simply incredible show of character after losing Malkin and Crosy. Watershed season for a guy like Letang, and the playoffs once again demonstrated why the enigmatic Alex Kovalev is the Mohammad Ashraful Motin of professional hockey.

That being said, I'm happy for Yzerman, Vinny and St. Louis.

Glad to see the Bruins do it to the Habs. Now the "hockey is Canada" jingoists are just one elimination away from a much needed reality-check. Go Nashville, smash the Sedin sisters!

Bancan
April 28, 2011, 12:51 AM
Well they have reason for it. It is very bitter to lose out from one of the biggest rival. But they played well! They would want to get rid of Markov for a young def and I still think trading Halek was a bad idea......

I dont think trading HalaK was a bad idea. Price has been more or less consistent this season. Their goal tending was not the issue.

I am excited for next year. Leafs despite what SohelNR seems to think will be in the playoffs next year. We have two first round picks and we will hopefully acquire a genuine center. I am excited.

Glad to see Vancouver finally overcome the hawks. I dont know but them twin sisters are pretty hot on the ice despite all the unfounded crap talk that goes on this in this thread.

AND LETS GO BOLTS.

Beamer
April 28, 2011, 10:13 AM
So the Pens remarkable season comes' to an end. Simply incredible show of character after losing Malkin and Crosy. Watershed season for a guy like Letang, and the playoffs once again demonstrated why the enigmatic Alex Kovalev is the Mohammad Ashraful Motin of professional hockey.

That being said, I'm happy for Yzerman, Vinny and St. Louis.

Glad to see the Bruins do it to the Habs. Now the "hockey is Canada" jingoists are just one elimination away from a much needed reality-check. Go Nashville, smash the Sedin sisters!

Remarkable season indeed. We gave the boys a standing ovation. They tried but not enough. You can't win with third-fourth line centers playing in top two lines and expect to win. Our PP let us down whole series and it has been that way since the two stars left. Just too much to overcome. Only sore point is we had a 3-1 lead. But, not meant to be. Not angry or bitter. I knew we were losing this series. You have to score goals and we just can't. In regular season, we took the games to OT and got a lot of points that way last three months, but in playoffs, you do need your best players to rise up, which were absent for us.

Next season will be special if we stay healthy. I am hoping the injury bug won't repeat again. 376 man games lost this year! We fully expect Simon Depress ( QMCHL player of the year, Defenseman ) to move to the big club and form a tandem with Letang. He will be the QB in PP.

Kudos to Dan B for benching Kovalev in third. He was a baggage. But, he will be a part of Pens forever ( those magical four years )

Beamer
April 28, 2011, 10:21 AM
Funny how u say that of the pair that come top last 2 years on scoring! What did ur real swedes do?
Can't wait to face Red Wings, 4-0 is what i see! Datsyuk will not overcome Lou!

uhh..you must not follow hockey properly. Complete boneheaded comment there. What did Wings Swedes do? Lets see : Multiple Stanley Cups, check. Multiple Norris for Lidstrom, check. Conn Smyth for Zetterberg, check. Holmstrom perfecting the art of PP positioning in the crease, check. You make your name in playoffs and thats where Sedins have fallen short so far. They are good players, but shown a tendency to fall off in playoffs, because their ability to handle physicality is severely questioned.Don't ask me but look up their stats in playoffs. Just watch how Weber-Suter tandem play them. They will be in their face all day. You can take them out of their game if you do that.

Sohel : Victor Hedman of Tampa is pretty impressive. Obviously, what he would have done with Crosby-Malkin, as opposed to what he did to Kovalev-Neal will never be answered. But, a very impressive young D man. I can see why he was the second overall pick.

AsifTheManRahman
April 28, 2011, 10:46 AM
But Hockey_is_Canada for the most part. Sure, none of the Canadian franchises have gone all the way for a while, but the NHL - American franchises included - is still made up of mostly Canadian players, then Americans and finally Europeans. But of course, the balance has shifted quite significantly over the last few decades or so.

AsifTheManRahman
April 28, 2011, 10:53 AM
Here are the numbers, from the ever truthful Wiki:

<table id="sortable_table_id_0" class="wikitable sortable"><tbody><tr><th style="background:lightgrey; width:8.5em">Countryhttp://bits.wikimedia.org/skins-1.17/common/images/sort_none.gif (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#)</th> <th style="background:lightgrey; width:5.2em">Players<sup id="cite_ref-82" class="reference">[82] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#cite_note-82)</sup><sup id="cite_ref-83" class="reference">[83] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#cite_note-83)</sup>
(02–03 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002%E2%80%9303_NHL_season))http://bits.wikimedia.org/skins-1.17/common/images/sort_none.gif (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#)</th> <th style="background:lightgrey; width:3.5em"> %http://bits.wikimedia.org/skins-1.17/common/images/sort_none.gif (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#)</th> <th style="background:lightgrey; width:5.2em">Players<sup id="cite_ref-84" class="reference">[84] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#cite_note-84)</sup><sup id="cite_ref-85" class="reference">[85] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#cite_note-85)</sup>
(03–04 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003%E2%80%9304_NHL_season))http://bits.wikimedia.org/skins-1.17/common/images/sort_none.gif (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#)</th> <th style="background:lightgrey; width:3.5em"> %http://bits.wikimedia.org/skins-1.17/common/images/sort_none.gif (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#)</th> <th style="background:lightgrey; width:5.2em">Players<sup id="cite_ref-86" class="reference">[86] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#cite_note-86)</sup><sup id="cite_ref-87" class="reference">[87] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#cite_note-87)</sup>
(05–06 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005%E2%80%9306_NHL_season))http://bits.wikimedia.org/skins-1.17/common/images/sort_none.gif (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#)</th> <th style="background:lightgrey; width:3.5em"> %http://bits.wikimedia.org/skins-1.17/common/images/sort_none.gif (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#)</th> <th style="background:lightgrey; width:5.2em">Players<sup id="cite_ref-88" class="reference">[88] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#cite_note-88)</sup><sup id="cite_ref-89" class="reference">[89] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#cite_note-89)</sup>
(06–07 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006%E2%80%9307_NHL_season))http://bits.wikimedia.org/skins-1.17/common/images/sort_none.gif (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#)</th> <th style="background:lightgrey; width:3.5em"> %http://bits.wikimedia.org/skins-1.17/common/images/sort_none.gif (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#)</th> <th style="background:lightgrey; width:5.2em">Players<sup id="cite_ref-90" class="reference">[90] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#cite_note-90)</sup><sup id="cite_ref-91" class="reference">[91] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#cite_note-91)</sup>
(07–08 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007%E2%80%9308_NHL_season))http://bits.wikimedia.org/skins-1.17/common/images/sort_none.gif (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#)</th> <th style="background:lightgrey; width:3.5em"> %http://bits.wikimedia.org/skins-1.17/common/images/sort_none.gif (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#)</th> <th style="background:lightgrey; width:5.2em">Players<sup id="cite_ref-92" class="reference">[92] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#cite_note-92)</sup><sup id="cite_ref-93" class="reference">[93] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#cite_note-93)</sup>
(08–09 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9309_NHL_season))http://bits.wikimedia.org/skins-1.17/common/images/sort_none.gif (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#)</th> <th style="background:lightgrey; width:3.5em"> %http://bits.wikimedia.org/skins-1.17/common/images/sort_none.gif (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#)</th> <th style="background:lightgrey; width:5.2em">Players<sup id="cite_ref-94" class="reference">[94] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#cite_note-94)</sup><sup id="cite_ref-95" class="reference">[95] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#cite_note-95)</sup>
(09–10 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E2%80%9310_NHL_season))http://bits.wikimedia.org/skins-1.17/common/images/sort_none.gif (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#)</th> <th style="background:lightgrey; width:3.5em"> %http://bits.wikimedia.org/skins-1.17/common/images/sort_none.gif (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Hockey_League#)</th> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>Austria (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austria)</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>3</td> <td>0.3</td> <td>3</td> <td>0.3</td> <td>2</td> <td>0.2</td> <td>2</td> <td>0.2</td> <td>3</td> <td>0.3</td> <td>3</td> <td>0.3</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>Bahamas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahamas)</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>Belarus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belarus)</td> <td>2</td> <td>0.2</td> <td>2</td> <td>0.2</td> <td>3</td> <td>0.3</td> <td>2</td> <td>0.2</td> <td>3</td> <td>0.3</td> <td>3</td> <td>0.3</td> <td>3</td> <td>0.3</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>Brazil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil)</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>Brunei (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunei)</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>Canada (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada)</td> <td>488</td> <td>49.8</td> <td>548</td> <td>54.3</td> <td>517</td> <td>53.8</td> <td>495</td> <td>52.7</td> <td>489</td> <td>52.0</td> <td>509</td> <td>52.3</td> <td>520</td> <td>53.9</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>Croatia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatia)</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>Czech Republic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_Republic)</td> <td>73</td> <td>7.4</td> <td>74</td> <td>7.3</td> <td>65</td> <td>6.8</td> <td>65</td> <td>6.9</td> <td>59</td> <td>6.3</td> <td>57</td> <td>5.9</td> <td>48</td> <td>5.0</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>Denmark (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denmark)</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>2</td> <td>0.2</td> <td>6</td> <td>0.6</td> <td>6</td> <td>0.6</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>England, United Kingdom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/England)</td> <td>2</td> <td>0.2</td> <td>2</td> <td>0.2</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>Finland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland)</td> <td>38</td> <td>3.9</td> <td>38</td> <td>3.8</td> <td>39</td> <td>4.1</td> <td>42</td> <td>4.5</td> <td>40</td> <td>4.3</td> <td>42</td> <td>4.3</td> <td>39</td> <td>4.0</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>France (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France)</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>Germany (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germany)</td> <td>6</td> <td>0.6</td> <td>6</td> <td>0.6</td> <td>8</td> <td>0.8</td> <td>8</td> <td>0.8</td> <td>9</td> <td>1.0</td> <td>9</td> <td>0.9</td> <td>10</td> <td>1.0</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>Indonesia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesia)</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>Italy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italy)</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>Japan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan)</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>Kazakhstan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazakhstan)</td> <td>2</td> <td>0.2</td> <td>3</td> <td>0.3</td> <td>6</td> <td>0.6</td> <td>4</td> <td>0.4</td> <td>3</td> <td>0.3</td> <td>2</td> <td>0.2</td> <td>3</td> <td>0.3</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>Latvia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latvia)</td> <td>5</td> <td>0.5</td> <td>4</td> <td>0.4</td> <td>3</td> <td>0.3</td> <td>4</td> <td>0.4</td> <td>3</td> <td>0.3</td> <td>5</td> <td>0.5</td> <td>5</td> <td>0.5</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>Lithuania (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithuania)</td> <td>2</td> <td>0.2</td> <td>2</td> <td>0.2</td> <td>2</td> <td>0.2</td> <td>2</td> <td>0.2</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>Northern Ireland, United Kingdom (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Ireland)</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>Norway (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norway)</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>2</td> <td>0.2</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>2</td> <td>0.2</td> <td>2</td> <td>0.2</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>Poland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poland)</td> <td>2</td> <td>0.2</td> <td>2</td> <td>0.2</td> <td>3</td> <td>0.3</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>Russia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia)</td> <td>57</td> <td>5.8</td> <td>57</td> <td>5.6</td> <td>40</td> <td>4.2</td> <td>35</td> <td>3.7</td> <td>30</td> <td>3.2</td> <td>32</td> <td>3.3</td> <td>33</td> <td>3.4</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>Slovakia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovakia)</td> <td>35</td> <td>3.6</td> <td>37</td> <td>3.7</td> <td>31</td> <td>3.2</td> <td>25</td> <td>2.7</td> <td>23</td> <td>2.4</td> <td>18</td> <td>1.8</td> <td>18</td> <td>1.9</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>Slovenia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovenia)</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>South Africa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa)</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>
</td> <td>
</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>South Korea (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Korea)</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> <td>1</td> <td>0.1</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>Sweden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden)</td> <td>58</td> <td>5.9</td> <td>52</td> <td>5.1</td> <td>45</td> <td>4.7</td> <td>49</td> <td>5.2</td> <td>52</td> <td>5.5</td> <td>53</td> <td>5.4</td> <td>52</td> <td>5.4</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>Switzerland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switzerland)</td> <td>2</td> <td>0.2</td> <td>3</td> <td>0.3</td> <td>4</td> <td>0.4</td> <td>5</td> <td>0.5</td> <td>6</td> <td>0.6</td> <td>5</td> <td>0.5</td> <td>3</td> <td>0.3</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>Ukraine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukraine)</td> <td>8</td> <td>0.8</td> <td>8</td> <td>0.8</td> <td>8</td> <td>0.8</td> <td>9</td> <td>1.0</td> <td>5</td> <td>0.5</td> <td>4</td> <td>0.4</td> <td>2</td> <td>0.2</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#EEEEEE"> <td>United States (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States)</td> <td>140</td> <td>14.3</td> <td>160</td> <td>15.8</td> <td>177</td> <td>18.4</td> <td>182</td> <td>19.3</td> <td>203</td> <td>21.6</td> <td>216</td> <td>22.2</td> <td>207</td> <td>21.5</td> </tr> <tr class="sortbottom"> <th style="background:lightgrey;">Total</th> <th style="background:lightgrey;">980</th> <th style="background:lightgrey;">100.0</th> <th style="background:lightgrey;">1010</th> <th style="background:lightgrey;">100.0</th> <th style="background:lightgrey;">961</th> <th style="background:lightgrey;">100.0</th> <th style="background:lightgrey;">942</th> <th style="background:lightgrey;">100.0</th> <th style="background:lightgrey;">941</th> <th style="background:lightgrey;">100.0</th> <th style="background:lightgrey;">974</th> <th style="background:lightgrey;">100.0</th> <th style="background:lightgrey;">965</th> <th style="background:lightgrey;">100.0</th></tr></tbody></table>

Sohel
April 28, 2011, 11:15 AM
uhh..you must not follow hockey properly. Complete boneheaded comment there. What did Wings Swedes do? Lets see : Multiple Stanley Cups, check. Multiple Norris for Lidstrom, check. Conn Smyth for Zetterberg, check. Holmstrom perfecting the art of PP positioning in the crease, check. You make your name in playoffs and thats where Sedins have fallen short so far. They are good players, but shown a tendency to fall off in playoffs, because their ability to handle physicality is severely questioned.Don't ask me but look up their stats in playoffs. Just watch how Weber-Suter tandem play them. They will be in their face all day. You can take them out of their game if you do that.

Sohel : Victor Hedman of Tampa is pretty impressive. Obviously, what he would have done with Crosby-Malkin, as opposed to what he did to Kovalev-Neal will never be answered. But, a very impressive young D man. I can see why he was the second overall pick.

Lidstrom has won the Conn Smyth also BTW (to go with his 4 Stanley Cups and 6 Norris trophies), and Zetterberg has a Selke and a Calder :)

Both Kronwall and Franzen have become elite players always playing better in the playoffs (which we've made for 20 straight years). Jonathan Ericsson is also coming along nicely. They all play clean, hard and multitask and make an impact when it counts. Fighting isn't their style by all those who have been at the receiving end of their clean body checks, won't forget what it felt like.

Not bad for a group of low draft picks nobody else seemed to be interested in.

I like Hedman but I don't think he can be nearly as effective against elite players like Datsyuk-Zetterberg, Crosby-Malkin or Backstrom-Ovechkin, but handling wimps like the Sedin sisters shouldn't be hard once he moves to a different club.

Beamer
April 28, 2011, 11:52 AM
But Hockey_is_Canada for the most part. Sure, none of the Canadian franchises have gone all the way for a while, but the NHL - American franchises included - is still made up of mostly Canadian players, then Americans and finally Europeans. But of course, the balance has shifted quite significantly over the last few decades or so.

Hockey is Canada, just like football is to Brazil. There is no question about that. I am a huge fan of Canadian players and the never die attitude intangibles they bring to the table, generally speaking. American players are also showing the same traits, though obviously the number is still not comparable to Canadians. Pens probably have more Canadiens ( lots of French players too )than many Canadien team itself. The owner might have something to do with it.

Beamer
April 28, 2011, 11:58 AM
Lidstrom has won the Conn Smyth also BTW (to go with his 4 Stanley Cups and 6 Norris trophies), and Zetterberg has a Selke and a Calder :)

Both Kronwall and Franzen have become elite players always playing better in the playoffs (which we've made for 20 straight years). Jonathan Ericsson is also coming along nicely. They all play clean, hard and multitask and make an impact when it counts. Fighting isn't their style by all those who have been at the receiving end of their clean body checks, won't forget what it felt like.

Not bad for a group of low draft picks nobody else seemed to be interested in.

I like Hedman but I don't think he can be nearly as effective against elite players like Datsyuk-Zetterberg, Crosby-Malkin or Backstrom-Ovechkin, but handling wimps like the Sedin sisters shouldn't be hard once he moves to a different club.

You are preaching to the choir. I have never doubted the quality of Wings players ( Swedes or otherwise ). Yeah, I have personal dislikes, but that was because of fighting two years in a row for the cup. Its not as raw as it was last year or years before. Time heals and you look at things more objectively. Without a question that Swedes playing for Wings are champion players. You will not see me running around and calling Zetterberg a " secondary assist collector". He is clearly not that. There are some things about him that I do not admire, but, that is not the point. :)

Sohel
April 28, 2011, 10:25 PM
PR continues to keep Nashville in the game. 0-1 with 5:45 in the 3rd. The Sedin sisters aren't being sufficiently crowded and their superior speed with the puck is creating chances. Kesler is stellar as usual.

Sohel
April 28, 2011, 10:38 PM
Game 1 goes to Vancouver. Nashville needs more offense (just 20 SOG, 9 coming in the 3rd) and tighter defense to compete in the series. Can't expect PR to keep them in the game like this all the time.

Sohel
April 28, 2011, 10:53 PM
Wings have opportunity to avenge loss

After making short work of the Coyotes, sweeping a team they needed seven games to eliminate the previous spring, the Red Wings now get set for a rematch with the San Jose Sharks in the Western Conference semifinals. Perhaps gassed from a hard-fought series with Phoenix following a second-half charge just to get into the playoffs, Detroit was quickly dispatched by San Jose in five games during their previous postseason matchup.

While the Wings breezed past the Coyotes by an aggregate score of 18-9 in their quarterfinal-round series, the Sharks didn't have nearly as easy a time against the Kings despite coming up with the same end result. They lost two of the three games played at HP Pavilion and needed to rally from a four-goal deficit to take the pivotal Game 3 in overtime.

During the regular-season, the Sharks won three of four games against the Red Wings, including both matchups in Detroit. Antti Niemi was the goalie of record in each San Jose victory, and Dany Heatley led all scorers with 4 goals. Danny Cleary and Henrik Zetterberg finished with 3 goals apiece for the Wings.

Several things were stunning about Detroit dispatching Phoenix in four straight games in their Western Conference quarterfinals matchup, but none more than the fact the Red Wings did it with Henrik Zetterberg watching in street clothes because of what's believed to be a knee sprain.

Also consider that power forward Johan Franzen didn't play in Game 4, played Game 3 hurt and missed almost a full period of Game 2 while getting 23 stitches in his face after a hit by Shane Doan sent him face first into the boards. The "Black Ace" the Red Wings replaced Franzen with in Game 4: only legendary American-born superstar and Detroit-area native Mike Modano, that's all.

Detroit's impressive depth at forward was on full display in the first round. It also didn't hurt that Pavel Datsyuk and Valtteri Filppula both decided to take it up a level. Filppula chipped in 1 goal and 5 points centering the third line, while Datsyuk led the way with 2 goals and 6 points centering the top line, including an assist on a jaw-dropping between-the-legs shot in Game 2.

That's not even mentioning the yeoman's work and energetic two-way play that Darren Helm and Justin Abdelkader provided centering the fourth and second lines, respectively. The week off between series should also help Zetterberg and Franzen (face, ankle) to heal.

Looking at the numbers, Detroit’s penalty killing could stand to improve. The Red Wings killed off just 66.7 percent of the 18 power plays they faced in the first round, which ranks close to the bottom of all 16 playoff teams.

However, the Red Wings did a much better job at home (76.7 percent, 10 of 13) than on the road (40 percent, 2 of 5) and killed off all six Coyotes power plays they faced in Game 1 at Joe Louis Arena, including a key 5-on-3 for a 1:29 stretch.

This is what happens when you take Lidstrom and Rafalski OFF the PK with Zetterberg missing, and since game 2.5 & 3, Franzen at 75%! Hope Babcock makes the adjustment. He has spoken about improving our PK and I'm waiting to see how he plans to do just that.

The power play was strong overall (26.7 percent, 4-for-15), but it was also best by a wide margin at home. The Wings went just 1-for-7 in the desert (14.3 percent) and 3-for-8 on home ice (37.5 percent).

Sharks will win if... They find a way to keep Pavel Datsyuk in check. Arguably the best two-way center in the game, Datsyuk is incredibly dangerous and will cause problems for San Jose's top line. The Sharks must overcome that.

Red Wings will win if... The offensive attack remains productive and balanced, the defense doesn't revert to its turnover woes of the regular season and Howard continues to be solid with some big saves mixed in at key times.

Brad Stuart MUST MINIMIZE his habit of nonchalantly turning the puck over in our own zone, and we need the PK of old back. Zetterberg's return would boost the PK as well as the Lidstrom and Rafalski coming back to PK teams.

Series Preview (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=561184&navid=DL|NHL|home)

Congrats to Pavel Datsyuk for yet another Selke nomination. He has already won the Selke last 3 times.

<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="catid=-6&id=111628&server=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="catid=-6&id=111628&server=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="catid=-6&id=111977&server=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="catid=-6&id=111977&server=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="catid=-6&id=112029&server=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="catid=-6&id=112029&server=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

Sohel
April 29, 2011, 06:30 AM
You are preaching to the choir. I have never doubted the quality of Wings players ( Swedes or otherwise ). Yeah, I have personal dislikes, but that was because of fighting two years in a row for the cup. Its not as raw as it was last year or years before. Time heals and you look at things more objectively. Without a question that Swedes playing for Wings are champion players. You will not see me running around and calling Zetterberg a " secondary assist collector". He is clearly not that. There are some things about him that I do not admire, but, that is not the point. :)

Chill bro, that preaching wasn't for the "choir" so to speak, but some of the others in this thread. I quoted you as support, but do see how you'd assume it was to you. Apologies :)

BTW, who are you rooting for in the semis bro? I'm going for:

1. Red Wings (heart & money)

2. Wakuwah (heart because I BADLY wanna face them in the conference finals. Smart money's on Nashville to win a 7-gamer)

3. Boston (heart & money)

4. Washington (money's with the Caps but heart's with the Bolts)

Beamer
April 29, 2011, 12:23 PM
OMG..what a terrible mistake on my part. I thought you were addressing me. Man...forums can cause confusion when you think there isn't any. I apologize. It was entirely my mistake. I see what you mean by some 'others' in the thread now that I have gone back and read the other comments..

Who am I rooting for? Honestly, no one. But, I would prefer a Western team and anyone but Flyers and Caps, both high on my hate-o-meter.

East : Tampa and Boston
West : Nashville ( I do like underdogs and a huge fan of Shea Weber ), and, Ok..I am gonna go with you and root for Wings!!

Dan B for Jack Adams...

Sohel
April 29, 2011, 01:39 PM
Don't feel bad about rooting for my Wings dude, I was rooting for the Pens myself :)

I'm a huge fan of Weber also BTW but want to play and beat the number 1 seed.

AsifTheManRahman
April 29, 2011, 10:59 PM
Well well, the Caps are down 0 - 1. Still think they'll go through though.

Bancan
April 29, 2011, 11:15 PM
Sharks score:)

AsifTheManRahman
April 29, 2011, 11:31 PM
Good pressure by the Sharks near the end of the 3rd period. Into OT now...

Bancan
April 29, 2011, 11:55 PM
Sharks win:)

AsifTheManRahman
April 29, 2011, 11:55 PM
Sharks score and win right after wasting a 4-minute power play.

Sohel
April 30, 2011, 12:06 AM
Stuart deflects one through Howard's 5 hole after we kill off a 4 minute PP in OT, a ridiculous "own goal" but that's hockey. Our PK looked better than the previous series but Zetterberg and Franzen rusty as expected. Bertuzzi is completely useless and needs to be replaced by Modano, a player of greater skill and IQ as geezers go. Loved the way Datsyuk played today. Talk about creating chances and neutralizing BJ Thorton! He led all forwards in ice-time (22:32), and during that time recorded an assist, four shots, a team-high six hits, three takeaways, and 11 face-off wins – a game-high total. His assist was an impressive saucer pass over a Sharks defender’s stick to find Nicklas Lidstrom in the slot.

The Sharks are a better team than last year and Pavelski is a legitimate playoff star in the making. Howard kept us in the game or it could've been worse. Let's see if he can steal the next one before we go back to the Joe. I have no doubt both Zetterberg and Franzen will get their timing right sooner than expected InshAllah.

Solid Bowmanian stuff from the Bolts today, must be the Yzerman factor. I feel sorry for Gagne. Hate to see that happen to anyone.

Sohel
April 30, 2011, 05:27 AM
<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="catid=79&id=112254&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="catid=79&id=112254&server=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

AsifTheManRahman
April 30, 2011, 03:45 PM
The Flyers are in total disarray. Frustrated and disorganized in defense.

Sohel
April 30, 2011, 10:54 PM
Great to see Boston totally outclass the Thugs in their own building, but game 2s always indicate better where the series may be going. Bruins are determined to erase last year's humiliation and it showed. If they pace themselves and can manage to keep the intensity going, they'll win the East. If they can't because simply too much was spent beating Philly, ANY of emotional complacency will cost them the Conference Finals.

The Bolts have a great defensive pair in Hedman and Ohlund with their positional defense, stick and poke checking, skating out and counter attacking ability, and a bits-and-pieces Boston offense without extreme intensity won't get past them to get a good look at Roloson if we see a Bolts-Bruins ECF in the near future.

Luongo is an interesting goalie. Either he gets blown away or seems unbeatable. Great demonstration of tenacity from the Preds to finally solve him and force OT. Rinne's better and that will show in the end.

As slippery as Daniella can be from time to time, containing the Sedin sisters hasn't been tough as expected. Only the AMERICAN Kesler, sadly still without a goal, has been outstanding with his two-way ability a little more than Legwand, the OTHER OUTSTANDING AMERICAN, as match-ups go. NATURALLY, both are Michiganders :)

Sohel
April 30, 2011, 11:17 PM
Rinne robs Bieksa with less than 2 left in OT.

AsifTheManRahman
April 30, 2011, 11:46 PM
This one's gone right down to the wire. The Canucks just can't seem to be able to get anything in. So many shots, but no return.

Sohel
April 30, 2011, 11:56 PM
1-1 with 8 left in 2OT. Everyone looks tired except Kesler. Rinne continues to keep the Preds in the game.

AsifTheManRahman
April 30, 2011, 11:58 PM
Finally it's over. I can get my clothes out of the dryer now.

Sohel
May 1, 2011, 12:01 AM
Rinne steals this one as Halischuk scores the winner. Wonderful vision from Weber off the faceoff. The series goes to Asaad country tied 1-1.

Sohel
May 1, 2011, 09:57 PM
The Sharks ought to be proud of themselves. We played better than we did in game 1 but so did they, and still managed to win. Dumb penalties hurt us once again and once again they took the momentum away and outshot us in the 2nd period, beating us to the puck time and again.

They're definitely a significantly better team this year and we cannot afford such mistakes in the Joe. Gotta hold the fort in Detroit and win both. It was good to see Zetterberg getting his timing back in the 3rd. Franzen also looked good and Datsyuk always does. Helm, Filppula and company also played hard in front of a solid D. Bertuzzi is a problem and Babcock needs to think about Modano, also more than capable of playing wing, in his place. Trailing 0-2 must force some changes as we face a must-win situation just like last year.

Boyle and Niemi, both Cup winners with other teams, have been outstanding.

Vinny outdid Ovi and delivered in OT. Back to Tampa with a 2-0 lead and things are looking grim for the Caps already.

Sohel
May 2, 2011, 09:31 AM
Babcock PGPC:

<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="catid=-6&id=112492&server=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="catid=-6&id=112492&server=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

Sohel
May 2, 2011, 08:45 PM
2-2 Boston as we start the 3rd. Great job coming back after trailing 0-2.

Sohel
May 2, 2011, 08:51 PM
Young AMERICAN Van Riemsdyk continues to impress with his speed, calmness and stick-handling. His finishing/accuracy could improve nut then again, he's only 21! Great prospect for the Thugs and the USA.

Sohel
May 2, 2011, 08:55 PM
BIG save by Boucher on Horton!

Sohel
May 2, 2011, 09:02 PM
Giant Chara takes a penalty at the worst possible time! C'mon Tim, shine on bro!

Sohel
May 2, 2011, 09:05 PM
Critical kill. WTG Tim!

Sohel
May 2, 2011, 09:07 PM
Briere fans on an open net opportunity with less than a second left as we go to OT. How costly will THAT prove to be?

Sohel
May 2, 2011, 09:10 PM
18th OT in this year's SCPs so far!

Sohel
May 2, 2011, 09:29 PM
Briere takes down Chara :lol:

Sohel
May 2, 2011, 09:35 PM
NO forechecking from the Bruins. NOT the way to do it. Tim needs a little offense to win guys!!!

Sohel
May 2, 2011, 09:38 PM
Post saves the Thugs in OT.

Sohel
May 2, 2011, 09:40 PM
No goal????

Sohel
May 2, 2011, 09:42 PM
Bruins win! 2-0 in the series heading back to Boston. AMAZING stuff from Tim Thomas. He steals this one with 52 saves! ... :notworthy:

Beamer
May 3, 2011, 12:00 PM
TT was great indeed. Saw some highlights. I was like wow !!

Sohel
May 3, 2011, 09:56 PM
Tampa win their 6th in a row and lead the Caps 3-0 with game 4 coming up in Tampa. The way they came back down 2-3 in game 3, coupled with the Caps mediocre defense and goaltending, I'm smelling sweep. Tampa's defense on the other hand, Ohlund-Hedman-Brewer AND their forwards backchecking with gusto, have been performing well beyond my expectation. No way the Caps are coming back here. I'd be surprised if they win even one!

Nashville reminds me of the Cup-winning Devils sides from the 90s, a low scoring team built on great goaltending, solid defensive locks and clutch GWGs from defensive forwards and defensemen from point. Not terribly exciting to watch but efficient, effective hockey that's a nightmare to score against. 1-1 after 2. Relishing the great battle between 2 AMERICAN defensive forwards from Michigan, two of the best in the game. Both Legwand and Kesler also have goals tonight.

Sohel
May 3, 2011, 10:07 PM
Higgins scores to give Wankuwah a 2-1 lead early in the 3rd.

Sohel
May 3, 2011, 10:25 PM
Ward scores a wraparound goal, 2-2 Nashville.

AsifTheManRahman
May 3, 2011, 10:46 PM
Tampa win their 6th in a row and lead the Caps 3-0 with game 4 coming up in Tampa. The way they came back down 2-3 in game 3, coupled with the Caps mediocre defense and goaltending, I'm smelling sweep. Tampa's defense on the other hand, Ohlund-Hedman-Brewer AND their forwards backchecking with gusto, have been performing well beyond my expectation. No way the Caps are coming back here. I'd be surprised if they win even one!

Yeah, don't see the Caps winning four in a row. In fact, as you said, wouldn't be surprised if they don't win anything at all.

Time to catch the Canucks-Predators OT before calling it a night.

AsifTheManRahman
May 3, 2011, 11:09 PM
PP against Nashville. Better make use of this. Let's go Sedin sisters let's go!

AsifTheManRahman
May 3, 2011, 11:11 PM
And they've done it! Canucks up 2-1!

Sohel
May 3, 2011, 11:13 PM
Canucks win as Weber watches from the penalty box. Kesler scores the PPG and wins this particular battle of Michiganders. This one's going to game 7 for sure.

Sohel
May 4, 2011, 10:38 AM
<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="catid=-6&id=112692&server=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="catid=-6&id=112692&server=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

KEY home stand starts in a few hours.

Beamer
May 4, 2011, 03:08 PM
Bolts about to sweep Craps, the no.1 team in East. In that light, amader bhangachhora team at least fought them till a Game 7 . OVI has promised a victory tonight...Lets see..

Sohel
May 4, 2011, 08:02 PM
St. Nick ties it with seconds left in the 1st, his 2nd of the series and 52nd career playoff goal. HUGE momentum and morale boosting goal in this must win game. Heatley got Kronwalled and that set the tone early.

We're looking better than the first two games where little things edged the Sharks past us 2-1 each time. They're not beating us to the puck as often so far. An overly aggressive PK cost us the goal. Setoguchi and Pavelski sure switch to a higher gear whenever they play us as BJ, Marleau and Couture look ordinary. Howard has looked great as usual and Bertuzzi useless. I don't see how Babcock continues to play him over Modano for the life of me! Anyway, gotta shoot more in the 2nd and the 3rd. The Sharks have outplayed us in the 2nd in the first two games, only Howard kept things close, and simply can't let that happen tonight.

Boston's doing it to the Thugs 4-1 and Tampa looks set to deny Ovechkin the ultimate glory this year also, 3-2 there. They're a great team with exceptional O/D balance. Roloson's a very decent goalie with a great D playing in front of him, making him even better. The Ohlund-Hedman-Brewer smart-wall is very tough to penetrate. Goes to show how good the starless Pens really were to push them to game 7.

Sohel
May 4, 2011, 08:18 PM
Homer fans on a perfect feed from Datsyuk in the slot. Another amazing shift from Helm before that: win the race>pass>forecheck>takeaway>shoot>backcheck>pass ... WOW!

Sohel
May 4, 2011, 08:38 PM
Eaves scores! 2-1 Wings.

Sohel
May 4, 2011, 08:41 PM
Setoguchi/Pavelski put the Sharks right back in the game with a PPG! Terrible PK allowing free movement of the puck. NO sticks on those passing lanes :facepalm:

Sohel
May 4, 2011, 08:43 PM
Now we get a PP with less than 4 left in 2.

Sohel
May 4, 2011, 08:46 PM
Datsyuk scores the PPG! 3-2 Wings!!!

Beamer
May 4, 2011, 09:04 PM
Ovi's guaranty is as valuable as a 99c pack of bubble gum. Lol. Tampa on a roll. They take any lead and bye bye. That 1-3-1 is impossible to beat. They have big defenseman that clears everything or blocks before shot gets to Roloson. ST.Louis is as good as any player in this league, and Vinny is earning his money finally. Great role players as well. Malone-Hall-Moore trio plays great defense.

Filthadelphia will get swept as well, hopefully.

Wings can not afford to go 0-3 in this series. These Sharks are very good.

Sohel
May 4, 2011, 09:08 PM
Tampa sweeps Washington (5-3) TampoWashed ;) ... Bruins on their way to a sweep also (5-1/3-0), but wait just a minute, that's what I thought last year also.

Sohel
May 4, 2011, 09:12 PM
We take a dumb penalty!

Sohel
May 4, 2011, 09:21 PM
Bertuzzi fails to convert. Niemi was out of position with the top right corner gaping!!!

Sohel
May 4, 2011, 09:30 PM
Kid Rock looks old!

Sohel
May 4, 2011, 09:33 PM
Boyle ties the game at 3-3 with 4 left in regulation. Complacency costs!

Sohel
May 4, 2011, 09:38 PM
Couldn't score despite all that sustained pressure.

Sohel
May 4, 2011, 09:39 PM
Niemi saves the Sharks with seconds left. What wizardry from Datsyuk!!! We're going to OT.

Sohel
May 4, 2011, 09:49 PM
This rivalry with the Sharks is similar to our rivalry with the Hawks in the 50s and the 60s. Somewhat friendly with no nasty business. The (OLD) rivalry with the Leafs and later the Avs were overflowing with bad blood.

Another 1 goal game in the making.

Sohel
May 4, 2011, 09:51 PM
Last year to this day at the Joe: Wings-Sharks go into OT tied 3-3. BETTER be a cathartic win for us tonight.

Sohel
May 4, 2011, 09:57 PM
HUGE back to back blocks save the Sharks!

Sohel
May 4, 2011, 10:00 PM
Homer fails to bang it in. Great stuff from Niemi.

Sohel
May 4, 2011, 10:01 PM
Eaves shoots wide! Perfect pass from Helm!

Sohel
May 4, 2011, 10:02 PM
We get a PP. Niemi was coming out of the net!

Sohel
May 4, 2011, 10:11 PM
Nemesis Setoguchi hattricks and the Sharks win 4-3! We lose another game 3 in OT at the Joe. History repeats itself exactly to the day.

Beamer
May 4, 2011, 10:14 PM
You don't want to go down 0-3. Big hole for wings. I don't think Howard was very good on that GWG. Jumbo Joe is also earning his money in this years playlets. Who would have thought the way the second round has been so far in playlets this year.

Zeeshan
May 4, 2011, 10:17 PM
One day I will open a thread like this too. Just watch, all you sinister post count uppers.

Sohel
May 4, 2011, 10:19 PM
You don't want to go down 0-3. Big hole for wings. I don't think Howard was very good on that GWG. Jumbo Joe is also earning his money in this years playlets. Who would have thought the way the second round has been so far in playlets this year.

They have our number. We played the best we did so far in the series and they still found a way. Some of the saves Niemi made, not to mention some of the goalmouth blocks from their D gave them the chance to win, and either Setoguchi or Pavelski was going to win it for them.

Unless we do a Philly 2010, we're done. Gotta make some basic changes. Get Modano in and Bertuzzi out and put St. Nick and Rafalski on the PK. Reduce Stuart and Salei's ice-time by 3 minutes each.

Beamer
May 5, 2011, 11:23 AM
Sometimes results go against the run of play. That is a cruel part of sport. I watched the game last night, and Wings were dominating in almost every facet of the game, minus the PK maybe. And, Sharks have a great PP, with so many capable wingers. Yes, Niemi was huge in the win. People always talk about the Sharks stars, such as Thorton-Heatley-Marleau-Clowe-Boyle, but their younger forwards are studs as well. Setoguchi-Pavelski-Cotoure, all very very good players. Well, Wings have to take one game at a time, as the cliche goes, and Howard has to be better.

Took much joy in Craps getting swept. Thugs have the same fate waiting.

Beamer
May 5, 2011, 11:26 AM
One day I will open a thread like this too. Just watch, all you sinister post count uppers.

That day started on March 9, 2008, and since then, all day and everyday. :)

Rinathq
May 5, 2011, 02:18 PM
No hawks, no penguins, no capitals, flyers and redwings are 1 step away from vacation. This is turning out to be quite a playoff! My bet, Canucks vs Tampa final! Just what happened on my NHL 08 for 2011-2012 season! I beat Tampa 4-1 :D

Sohel
May 6, 2011, 02:21 AM
It ain't over 'til it's over and hockey, like life, ain't no video game. That being said, I won't be surprised if there's a Tampa/Boston-Wankuwah/San Hoe SCF. Would be shocked if this Canadian team actually wins the Cup this year (or ANY, again in my lifetime).

Sohel
May 6, 2011, 08:12 AM
<object width="640" height="383" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="catid=-6&id=113235&server=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://nhl.cdn.neulion.net/u/videocenter/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="383" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="catid=-6&id=113235&server=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&pageurl=http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/&nlwa=http://app2.neulion.com/videocenter/nhl/"></embed></object>

Beamer
May 6, 2011, 10:32 AM
I can't imagine Wings getting swept. Its gonna be a big loss for Sharks tonight. Fourth game is always the hardest to win.

I think Preds are done. You can go so far without big time players scoring goals. I love their intensity and the way they punch above their weight, but that can only take you so far in SC playoffs.

Rinathq
May 6, 2011, 12:18 PM
Canucks won again! Predators just doesn't have the killer instinct.... They are not even half as aggressive as Canucks and their defense doesnt make up for it either. A goalie can only take u so far....
Go Canucks! Sedins are back with a 4 point between them!

Zeeshan
May 6, 2011, 03:43 PM
That day started on March 9, 2008, and since then, all day and everyday. :)

sej hoye ni na...sej hole ami aar apnee dhanshiri te gele ek tebileyo boshbo na...and apnee address? forget it...sej hoye ni sudhu

AsifTheManRahman
May 6, 2011, 07:15 PM
My boss is at a conference in Boston and sending me pictures from the Bruins game. Lucky man.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

Sohel
May 6, 2011, 07:16 PM
Leading 3-1 at the start of 2nd. St. Nick has 2 and Bertuzzi scored one also. We need to kepp our foot on the gas, shoot more, score more and not blow this lead.

Sohel
May 6, 2011, 07:23 PM
San Hoe kills off the penalty. Good to see our guys finding shooting lanes for once. Nemesi Setoguchi and Pavelski have been contained well also.

Sohel
May 6, 2011, 07:42 PM
Naturally they get one back and we fail to score on the PP. 3-2 Wings with less than 5 left in 2.

Bruins lead 1-0 :)

Beamer
May 6, 2011, 07:57 PM
sej hoye ni na...sej hole ami aar apnee dhanshiri te gele ek tebileyo boshbo na...and apnee address? forget it...sej hoye ni sudhu

You have to bring a foot stool ( piri ) for yourself...lol. A make tui korey dakba? Khub koshto pelam.

Sohel
May 6, 2011, 08:08 PM
Heatley scores and ties the game 3-3. Salei F-ed up. Either he or Stuart usually does. Stu likes to turn over the puck in our own zone also.

Sohel
May 6, 2011, 08:38 PM
Helm scores!!! 4-3 Wings after intense, sustained pressure. Now THAT'S Red Wings hockey!

Sohel
May 6, 2011, 09:31 PM
Bruins score on a breakaway! 3-1 and Adios Thugs! Redemption sweep in its best.

AND 2 ENGs make it 5-1. I'm relishing Bobby Clarke's disappointment.

Zeeshan
May 7, 2011, 06:49 AM
You have to bring a foot stool ( piri ) for yourself...lol. A make tui korey dakba? Khub koshto pelam.

just kidding :)

AsifTheManRahman
May 7, 2011, 07:42 AM
just kidding :)
Ekhon r kidding bole ki hobe? Koshto ja pawar uni to already peyei gese. Buk ta chirey gese unar.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

Beamer
May 7, 2011, 10:05 AM
Ekhon r kidding bole ki hobe? Koshto ja pawar uni to already peyei gese. Buk ta chirey gese unar.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

buk ta fete gese Asif...ami mormahoto.

Beamer
May 7, 2011, 10:07 AM
I knew Wings will win last night. One more win in SJ and the pressure is on them squarely. Very glad about Flyers and Caps getting swept. That brings some consolation. Hate those two teams and their fans with a passion.

Sohel
May 7, 2011, 10:07 PM
Of course I "believe", so to speak, and am praying for our "one-game-at-a-time" approach to deliver a Philly 2010. But overcoming the Sharks is a tough task. These guys have our number, thanks largely to our former assistant coach McLellan, and are beaming with confidence. I won't be surprised if they win it all this year if they manage to beat us, as tough as either Tampa or Boston will prove to be in the SCF.

Their top line with BJ and Marleau has never been a problem for us, but the second line with Pavelski and Setoguchi has been a different story 2 years running. Couture can be pretty slippery also and in the end, Niemi has been outstanding between the pipes. We did reasonably well against them in game 4 and they way we finished gives me more hope than last season's series for sure. They simply don't panic and force us into the boards, taking the middle of the ice away. They also hang back a couple of strides, turn quickly, and beat us to the puck in their zone. As our forwards get clogged up and they establish better body position over the loose puck, another guy comes in to take it away and start penetrating our zone. Franzen's ankle's not 100% yet and his slow and wide turns simply cannot counter their second line at the moment.

Wankuwah gives one up to Rinne and the Preds and head back to Nashville for game 6. I think this series will go to game 7 after watching the Preds score 4 at key times today. Ward is an underrated player.

Zeeshan
May 7, 2011, 10:26 PM

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

buk ta fete gese Asif...ami mormahoto.

chi chi bimuda apnee amar boro bhaier moto....jei bhai thakle amake comptoney niye khibabe gari hotwire korte hoy, churi kore tijuana borderey nite hoy, hate khori diye shikato...apnake ami kono dino tui kore dakte parbo na bimuda...apnee amar unofficial bhai je hashish crack ittadi ittadi nesha kora shikhato cholo bochor boyosh theke aar bear kine dito atharor age...

Sohel
May 7, 2011, 10:28 PM
Very glad about Flyers and Caps getting swept. That brings some consolation. Hate those two teams and their fans with a passion.

Always great to see Philly getting swept after all that (perhaps well deserved) braggadocio, because of their epic comeback against Boston last year after being down 0-3. Things like that don't happen twice unless your team is full of hockey playing Ashrafools.

I like the fact that Ovechkin is beginning to doubt his chances of winning the Cup with the Caps. I hope Backstrom joins him soon. It'd be nice to see them both traded to real teams with a future.

Sohel
May 8, 2011, 12:08 AM
On a side note, loads of great Swedish blueliners around nowadays (Lidstrom, Kronwall, Ericsson. Ohlund, Hedman and Wallin) to go with great American 2-way forwards (Kane, Kesler, Legwand, Parise, Van Riemsdyk, Pavelski and soon enough, Abdel Kader) and goalies (Thomas, Miller, Howard and Boucher). We've already seen what Finnish goalies can do last year. Russian, the ever underrated Czech and Slovak forwards have made their mark in every team they're in.

"Hockey is Canada" is no more than a deeply misguided and Toronto-inspired jingoism at this point.The majority of NHLers may still be Canadians, but the majority of the high impact players haven't been so since the 90s. A much more even spread with non-Canadian players beginning to dominate. Americans pioneers like LaFontaine, Hull, Richter, Vanbiesbrouk, Roenick, Modano, Tkachuk and Guerin have inspired a great new generation of players.

That being said, Canada still has some of the best playing in their positions and roles: Iginla, Weber, Toews, Crosby, Vinny, Morrow, the brothers Staal, Letang, Fleury, St. Louis, Gagne, Stamkos, Helm, BJ, Marleau, Setoguchi, Couture, Hartnell, Giroux, Carter, Richards etc.

Sohel
May 8, 2011, 08:24 PM
Sharks lead on a (surprise, surprise) Setoguchi goal. Being outshot 13-25, ONLY Howard has kept us in the game. Datsyuk is playing with an obvious wrist injury. Things look grim.

Sohel
May 8, 2011, 08:28 PM
Easy PK for the Sharks, no shots on goal ... :facepalm:

Sohel
May 8, 2011, 08:31 PM
Looks like Franzen has left the game with an injury. HUGE blow.

Sohel
May 8, 2011, 08:35 PM
Now Pavelski, the other Nemesis, scores. 0-2 with less than 5 left in the 2nd.

Sohel
May 8, 2011, 08:37 PM
Junior scores! 1-2 Wings. Very important early response. We're still in the game. Datsyuk made it happen despite his injury.

Sohel
May 8, 2011, 08:40 PM
Clowe gets Kronwalled! HUGE hit.

Sohel
May 8, 2011, 08:42 PM
Gotta be more aggressive in the 3rd and get pucks to the net. 1-2 Wings after 2, being outshot 16-30!!!!!

Sohel
May 8, 2011, 09:37 PM
Down 1-3 early in the 3rd, we come roaring back on work ethic alone. Sheer magic from a one-handed Datsyuk and some clutch finishing and defense from our Vikings deliver this memorable 4-3 win.

GOD bless the Detroit Red Wings! Motor City muscle baby!!! ... :fire: