PDA

View Full Version : Member's screen name

Navarene
February 20, 2004, 11:05 PM
Ok, enough is enough with NRR, McInnes and all these stuffs. I think we need some fresh air to breath before Day 3 play starts. Why not ease up the air and talk about some off topics :)

I was checking the members list column (we have now almost 350 members mashalla) and to my surprise, found some load of variation amongst the member's screen names. Some are weird some are decent, some are funny some are witty, some are hilarious and some are intellectual :cool2:

I think that each name got some significance to the user who uses them. Please state your reason for your screen name.

P.S. I am curious to know why our faltuRedwanBhai got to glorify himself as "faltu", or why Chainaman bhai is fascinated with this screen name etc.

chinaman
February 21, 2004, 03:26 AM
I moved this thread from Football forum to the Forget Cricket Forum for obvious reason.

Chinaman delivery is very interesting to me.

Hasib
February 21, 2004, 03:30 AM
Do u bowl it... or is it ur namises... and wats ur screen name about, Navarene?

AsifTheManRahman
February 21, 2004, 08:41 PM
I used to brag about being "The Man" in high school (fazlami) and my classmates used to call me Asif "The Man" Rahman

reinausagi
February 21, 2004, 09:52 PM
Reina (Spanish for queen) and Usagi (Japanese for 'bunny') was the name given to me by my sisters when I pledged in to Chi Omega. I'd like to think I've become a little more dignified since then but, my friends still call me that.

[Edited on 22-2-2004 by reinausagi]

Zobair
February 21, 2004, 09:58 PM
hmmm...I don't know why I choose pompous! lets say something about the state of being pompous appeals to me :P:P:P

oracle
February 21, 2004, 10:01 PM
...a mysterious entity who reveals all the answers. only to be approached during times of distress.

Reina is dignified.:)

Zunaid
February 21, 2004, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by reinausagi
Reina (Spanish for queen) and Usagi (Japanese for 'bunny') was the name given to me by my sisters when I pledged in to Chi Omega. I'd like to think I've become a little more dignified since then but, my friends still call me that.

[Edited on 22-2-2004 by reinausagi]

Argh.. That just begs for more questions...

What prompted your sisters to call you queen bunny? :)

Why the Spanish/Japanese mix?

Inquiring minds want to know :)

I am married to an Alpha Delta Pi

- Z

Orpheus
February 22, 2004, 02:18 AM
I am gonna marry Rho - literally. She is the girl in my Bio lab who despise my presence!

Sami
February 22, 2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Orpheus
I am gonna marry Rho - literally. She is the girl in my Bio lab who despise my presence!

its a common thing then... eh orphy? ;)

[Edited on 22-2-2004 by radicalsami]

fab
February 22, 2004, 08:43 PM
Aahh sororities and fraternaties.. exactly what are they, and what are they for? And how does the naming convention work? (i.e. is there any meaning behind the various combinations of greek letters?)

btw, fab is just a shortened form of my name. It's just what all my friends call me. (no, it's not short for fabulous, I am far from being that..)

Sami
February 22, 2004, 08:56 PM
ok me gives my name... Radicalsami came abt when I was making my hotmail/yahoo address... I wanted the address radical_dreamer... and almost everywhere I tried it was taken... got pissed signed up for radicalsami... been using this ever since as my handle in most places... :)

btw, fab is just a shortened form of my name. It's just what all my friends call me. (no, it's not short for fabulous, I am far from being that..)

U are too modest :) ;)

Zunaid
February 22, 2004, 09:14 PM
err umm

that's just my name ...

In the good old days of pre-web IRC, I used to go by the handle bangali

I used to hang out in undernet and overnet in the early 90s...

fab
February 22, 2004, 10:04 PM
U are too modest :) ;)
Nah, it's just that a lot of ppl on the Internet initially think I am some kind of self loving narcissist.. just thought i'd clear it up :)

btw, radicalsami sounds way better than radical_dreamer :P

Tintin
February 23, 2004, 02:51 AM
Mine is a long story.

On the day that I first tried IRC, I had watched a Tintin cartoon on TV by the name 'Cigars of the pharaoh'. It had a professor who goes mad and keeps thinking that he is Pharoah Rameses II.

I liked that name because Rameses is nearly an anagram of my real name (which I am leaving out of here). But something strange happened.

Almost everyday, whichever room I went to, somebody would ask why I took that name and I would explain the story. I believed that they were asking it because my name was so cute.

This went on for some two or three months before someone whom I had known well revealed the curiosity - apparently in North America, Rameses II is the name of a condom.

So I dropped it and adopted Tintin instead.

chinaman
February 23, 2004, 03:45 AM
Long and cute.

Rubu
February 24, 2004, 12:05 AM
OK, i'm agent smith. I like the matrix so much i watched it more than 20 times. no wonder i'll choose my nick from it. but i'm not neo, not that herioc anyhow.
I had a habit of watching movie taking the vilen's side and go away 15 minutes before the movie ends. i can rule all over the movie. it continued here.
so, i'm agent smith.

Mueid
June 29, 2005, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Rubu

so, i'm agent smith.
not anymore!!! HAH :P:P

Zunaid
June 29, 2005, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Mueid
Originally posted by Rubu

so, i'm agent smith.
not anymore!!! HAH :P:P

Does this win the grand prize for resuscitating a thread long dead and buried?

Sami
June 29, 2005, 08:04 PM
Mueid bhai... fatiye felechen dada... ekdom... :up: :rolleyes:

Mahir
June 29, 2005, 09:42 PM
oh yes!!!! This is an absolute bomb on the matrix guy! hehe!

jabbar
June 29, 2005, 10:54 PM
i derive my name from a famous basketballer by the name of "kareem abdul jabar" (i won't say which of the three names...)

Akib
June 30, 2005, 09:33 AM
Mine was basically letters from my name. ak from first name. a from middle name. Also I didnt not want to put my real name so I put aka (also known as).

VladMamu
June 30, 2005, 03:13 PM
Well, mine is pretty obvious. I figured that I would be the only guy who is white on Banglacricket forum, so I guess I wanted to stand out, just like I know I will stand out when I go to Dhaka. I was considering it a practice visit, except online. However, I keep tingling with the idea of Banglaczech. I really like Banglaczech, but haven't motivated myself to changing it yet.

June 30, 2005, 10:12 PM
:umm: Because I am new ...

Carte Blanche
June 30, 2005, 10:27 PM
I've always been fond of "Carte Blanche"

A blank check (carte blanche) is a check that has no numerical value written in, but is still signed; check owners are normally advised to specify the amount before signing. If created accidentially, such checks can be extremely dangerous for their owner, for whoever obtains the check could write in whatever amount of money he wanted, and would legally be able to cash it (to the extent that the underlying account contains such funds). The movie Blank Check plays on such a situation.

(Source: Wikipedia)

jabbar
June 30, 2005, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by newbie
:umm: Because I am new ...

The problem is when you reach 1000 posts, your name will be misleading. On teh other hand, it will be "ironic" :)

jabbar
June 30, 2005, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Carte Blanche
I've always been fond of "Carte Blanche"

A blank check (carte blanche) is a check that has no numerical value written in, but is still signed; check owners are normally advised to specify the amount before signing. If created accidentially, such checks can be extremely dangerous for their owner, for whoever obtains the check could write in whatever amount of money he wanted, and would legally be able to cash it (to the extent that the underlying account contains such funds). The movie Blank Check plays on such a situation.

(Source: Wikipedia)

.... right :umm:

Edited on, July 1, 2005, 4:24 AM GMT, by jabbar.

Zunaid
June 30, 2005, 11:37 PM
Every time I see carte blanche, I am tempted to change my nick to tabula rasa

rafiq
June 30, 2005, 11:47 PM
where did this thread come from - but anyways, i'm glad for the little nuggets. i had actually wondered what some of these meant - like reinasaugi. Zunaid, didn't know your wife was an ADP, she seemed too nice...I remember ADP's as those prissy young ladies with a standard issue string of white pearls around their necks - or at least that's how they were in the hills, somewhat intelligent depsite their pretentions, though, so they did have a saving grace...advanced apologies to the missus, just had to share that and hope she doesn't have her sisters send me hate mail...

Ahmed_B
July 1, 2005, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by whiteguy
I figured that I would be the only guy who is white on Banglacricket forum
Well... that one you perhaps got wrong.. coz we got some good number of external members here... even BD cricket fans who are aussies! :)

nihi
July 1, 2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by reinausagi

Unexplained gives you the freedom to wander and wonder. One way I tried to decipher reinausagi as reina from USA (Reena spelled exotically, as I have seen some Asif spelling his name as Asieph and some Amin as Amyieen). As for the 'gi' part, I left it unexplained to myself after brief unconvincing wandering at the words like GI as in GI Jane (very unconvincing) or appendage like gi/ji as in sardar-ji or singh-ji or khala-ji (even more unconvincing). But not being sure about the explanation my gray cells always got subtly worked up at the sight of this nick, along with some others. Now it will be the end of it. Nevertheless, liked the real meaning of the name. Found it beautiful. But then there is the difference between beauty and mystery. Beauty fades away with familiarity, mystery doesn't. But as Zunaid bhai put forward the question, we are in the new realm of mystery about the interpretation of bunny queen :)

Originally posted by fabNah, it's just that a lot of ppl on the Internet initially think I am some kind of self loving narcissist.. just thought i'd clear it up

Another case of disillusionment (though with the added mystery about what really entails the nick). But, speaking for myself, narcissism never occurs with your nick. May be the diminutive form offers it some kind of humility.

Zunaid
July 1, 2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by rafiq
where did this thread come from - but anyways, i'm glad for the little nuggets. i had actually wondered what some of these meant - like reinasaugi. Zunaid, didn't know your wife was an ADP, she seemed too nice...I remember ADP's as those prissy young ladies with a standard issue string of white pearls around their necks - or at least that's how they were in the hills, somewhat intelligent depsite their pretentions, though, so they did have a saving grace...advanced apologies to the missus, just had to share that and hope she doesn't have her sisters send me hate mail...

Heh. My wife is from the Texas branch of ADP. I suppose it is something you need to do if you are at Baylor. She is intelligent WITHOUT the pretensions and definitely not prissy - she has a very Texas vocabulary when riled up. Compound that with fieriness of a red-head - I am willing to accept all y'alls sympathies. :)

But I love her dearly.

So Rafiq, care to explain the origins of your nick? :D

Zunaid
July 1, 2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by nihi
Unexplained gives you the freedom to wander and wonder.

Let's deconstruct your nick....

A closet nihilist?
A surfer in Hawaii?
A Nickel Hydride battery salesperson?

Edited on, July 1, 2005, 6:15 PM GMT, by Zunaid.

nihi
July 1, 2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Zunaid
Originally posted by nihi
Unexplained gives you the freedom to wander and wonder.

Let's deconstruct your nick....

A closet nihilist?
A surfer in Hawaii?
A Nickel Hydride battery salesperson?

Edited on, July 1, 2005, 6:15 PM GMT, by Zunaid.

closet nihilist? Sounds oximoronic, doesn't it? But such is the grace of definitions, they fit it all.
surfer in Hawaii? Surfer for sure. But more places and things than Nihi Kai :)
Nickel Hydride battery salesperson? True I endeavored some distant 'saling around', but that wasn't any power storage, was it?

Ahmed_B
July 1, 2005, 02:13 PM
Well... you have heard about AgentSmith & Oracle..

Time for the Architect behind the Matrix! ...
Someone who watches from beyond the Horizon... and eventually... I was 'crickethorizon'..
And now I reamin with my name's shrinked version! :umm:

Yes.. another Matrix fan here... and you will know from my signature as well. :)
In this version of the Matrix out here in BC... I have found The Oracle... AgentSmith... even Morpheous .... but where the hell is Neo (the one) or Trinity?

Yet to Appear?
Or should I upload it in the 'Re-loaded' version of BC? ;)

al Furqaan
July 2, 2005, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by fab
Aahh sororities and fraternaties.. exactly what are they, and what are they for? And how does the naming convention work? (i.e. is there any meaning behind the various combinations of greek letters?)

they are just for comeraderie sake.