PDA

View Full Version : I need Bengali Help

Banglaguy
May 16, 2011, 12:22 PM
Ok, I'm Syhleti, and am trying to learn shudho basha in 2 weeks, because I have an exam in it. Can anyone help me?

F6_Turbo
May 16, 2011, 01:08 PM
hah...trying to get an easy A in your GCSEs?

Banglaguy
May 16, 2011, 01:26 PM
Yeah! As I can speak Shudho Basha, I got an A* in the speaking... I just can't read it for some reason (I can read it in syhleti :(...) It gets really hard sometimes, I get really mixed up. And the max you can get without Shudho Basha is a C :D

ialbd
May 16, 2011, 01:34 PM
you can read Sylheti but not Shuddho Bangla?? am I missing sth here... ??

is there some different Sylheti script that I dont know about?

Banglaguy
May 16, 2011, 01:35 PM
I don't know why, it's just my mind freezes.

goru
May 16, 2011, 02:00 PM
I don't know why, it's just my mind freezes.

When you read "proper" Bangla books, do you read them out loud?

goru
May 16, 2011, 02:28 PM
you can read Sylheti but not Shuddho Bangla?? am I missing sth here... ??

is there some different Sylheti script that I dont know about?

I think I can explain what he's saying.

Often, when people are just starting out learning a language, they try to translate what they are reading into how it sounds in their native language, instead of just trying to understand it as it is. As they are reading the foreign words, their equivalent in their native language keep popping into their head. I suppose one test of fluency in a foreign language is whether this happens in your head or not. e.g. I am currently using English, and I am only thinking in English. If I start using Bangla, then I am only thinking in Bangla. But if I try to speak hindi, I'll probably start thinking in Bangla and translating real-time. If I try to speak or read Spanish, I'll start thinking in English and translate in real-time, or try to think what the English word is for each word in Spanish.

Now, obviously, Bangla and Sylheti are not two totally different languages*, but I think a similar thing is happening here... he reads it in Bangla, but is continuously thinking of how it sounds in Sylheti. That's why I think reading aloud might help.

* Interestingly, the NHS (the public health service in the UK) actually lists two different language codes at least - "Bengali - Bengali" and "Bengali - Sylheti". To them, they are distinct languages, and should be treated as such.

Disclaimer: Not a linguistics expert.

Banglaguy
May 16, 2011, 02:39 PM
I see where your getting at, it's like when I do french, I try to make the words english sort of, although they have no relevance. In Syhleti, the word shaijoh is Shahajoh in Shudho Basha, which is spelt differently. There is not word for family in syhelti, so we say family, not poribar.

ialbd
May 16, 2011, 03:48 PM
@goru: hmm... I see your point...

@ banglaguy, when you see 'Shahajjo' written in bangla, do you still read it as 'shaijoh'. Are there 'Sylheti' books that spell it 'Shaijoh'? I always thought the words are spelled the same in both Sylheti & Bengali. Pronunciation is a different thing though.

I wish I had bangla font in this laptop to explain myself better....

Banglaguy
May 16, 2011, 04:13 PM
In syhleti, it is spelt ''shaijoh'', and it is other words to, like ''boin'' (sister in syhleti), and ''bhoon'' (Shudho) is spelt different.

AsifTheManRahman
May 16, 2011, 04:31 PM
Ok, first things first. It's called "Shuddho Bhasha", or in Dhakaiya terms, Bangla.

Banglaguy
May 16, 2011, 04:33 PM
Ok, first things first. It's called "Shuddho Bhasha", or in Dhakaiya terms, Bangla.

That's great help man... I mean, if I was to carry on for the rest of my life saying Shudho basha... Lord save us all.

AsifTheManRahman
May 16, 2011, 04:36 PM
Lord save you indeed, because it isn't Shudho basha and if that's what you wanna keep calling it, good luck getting your alphabets right on the test.

Banglaguy
May 16, 2011, 04:40 PM
It isn't really that important, but because I love my fellow brother, I'll say Shuddho Basha. Btw, what sound does a ''Borgajo'' make?

AsifTheManRahman
May 16, 2011, 04:43 PM
You're not getting it. You asked for help, I'm helping you. It's not "Basha", it's "Bhasha". Bhau, not bau. If you mix the two up in your exam you're Bangla toast.

Banglaguy
May 16, 2011, 04:46 PM
Oh, up to this point I was writing it as phonetically as possible but it has to be 100% correct? Oh thanks man! But why would I be bangla toast? lol.
Okay, so can you phontically tell me how to spell ''Dunya''?

AsifTheManRahman
May 16, 2011, 04:48 PM
I didn't say you have to get it right phonetically. Bau and bhau are two different letters in the Bangla alphabet. If you can't tell the difference, there are more words you're likely to screw up on the exam. If I had a Bangla keyboard installed here I'd show you the difference.

Banglaguy
May 16, 2011, 04:57 PM
I know, it's like ko and kho, theyre both different. I mean, I can diffrentiate, but I've only been studying for a year, as I was a ''miscreant'' from year 1 through year 10. Why is rosho-e turned into that f thingy, I find it confusing from time to time.

idrinkh2O
May 16, 2011, 05:50 PM
[Update: Ignore this one and follow #21]

If I were you, I would install Bangla font in my laptop/computer for 2 weeks to practice reading and writing bangla. Anyways, I'll try to find something for you (though can't guarantee it). But here is the youtube link to a bangla poetry recitation (recitation is different than regular bangla reading I think). None-the-less you can recite the poetry along with the reader. You'll find more stuff in there! Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM4EnmzLYBY&feature=related

Banglaguy
May 16, 2011, 05:53 PM
Jazakhallah bhai, it will come really useful, I'm gonna watch it tomorrow, I gotta go bed, I got an exam in the morning :(

idrinkh2O
May 17, 2011, 01:41 AM
Well, after much thought and consideration, I found a perfect solution to your lil problem. Inshallah if you follow it properly, you'll get an A+...not to mention a lot of sawabs or good deeds! So here it goes...

Listen to the Arabic Quran with Bangla translation. I like Zayed Iqbal's bangla translation voice because it's in proper Bangla and it's available all over the internet. If you have a Bangla translation of Quran at home, that's great. If not then borrow it from a neighbor or you can simply open the bangla quran pdf file. Once you have access to a Bangla translation, then listen to Zayed Iqbal and follow it through or practice along with him. Use pause button if necessary:-p. It will be lil tedious 'cause u need to listen to the Quran in arabic before you get to the translation.

I found a number of websites and youtube link:
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5bWH8XoPsU&feature=related (I like it cause it has a Bangla translation transcript which is easier to follow. Search the youtube account "banglaquran" to see if they got more collections!)

2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YK6d9YFbk0 (No Bangla transcript but this account "nilnodh" has uploaded the complete Quran i think!)

3. http://www.voiceofquran.info/bangla_quran_audio.html (This site has bangla translation of the Quran in pdf file format. So you don't need to ask anyone for a copy of it;)...that way u can surprise ur parents when u'll be proficient at it iA:-p)

4. http://www.banglakitab.com/qerat.htm on and on!

*** All the translation is done by Zayed Iqbal I think.

*** I always try to listen the Quran with english translation at http://www.quranexplorer.com/quran/. Today while I was searching the Bangla translation for you, I was surprised to find out that they don't have any Bangla translations/script:( May be I need to ask 'em about it to see if they can include Bangla. That site is great for memorization and other :cool: stuff for anyone:)

Hope it helps! Inshallah you'll do well (A+) in all your exams:). Go get 'em TIGER!!! Good luck!

lol...now stop wasting ur time here;) and go back to your studies till u done with ur exam:-p ...lol!!! Peace out:)

Beamer
May 17, 2011, 10:32 AM
I know, it's like ko and kho, theyre both different. I mean, I can diffrentiate, but I've only been studying for a year, as I was a ''miscreant'' from year 1 through year 10. Why is rosho-e turned into that f thingy, I find it confusing from time to time.

Sylheti ra Akaura ke Akhaura ( rail junction )banaye dise ?

Banglaguy
May 17, 2011, 11:01 AM
Bhai, Akaura kita? Ami bujram na.

idrinkh2O I love you man... I'ma keep a bookmark on this thread and come back to it.... :D

Beamer
May 17, 2011, 11:17 AM
Bhai, Akaura kita? Ami bujram na.

idrinkh2O I love you man... I'ma keep a bookmark on this thread and come back to it.... :D

Akhaura ekta shohor near Sylhet..

Banglaguy
May 17, 2011, 11:44 AM
Oh acha, aphanr bari koi? Ami habiganj taki ai

Fazal
May 17, 2011, 02:11 PM
Bangla Guy needs Bengali help?

Marry a Bangal Girl.

goru
May 17, 2011, 02:16 PM
Bangla Guy needs Bengali help?

Marry a Bangal Girl.

You know, I was half expecting a kajer bua joke from iDumb... but I guess this works too.

Hatebreed
May 17, 2011, 02:24 PM
Some common Sylheti terms translated to Shuddho Bangla and English:

Sylheti - Shuddho Bangla - English

Gor - Basha - House

Kandot - Kacchhe - Near

Kibbe? - Ki? - What?

Konobbe? - Kothai? - Where?

Chipai - Konai - In a corner

Banglaguy
May 17, 2011, 03:06 PM
Some common Sylheti terms translated to Shuddho Bangla and English:

Sylheti - Shuddho Bangla - English

Gor - Basha - House

Kandot - Kacchhe - Near

Kibbe? - Ki? - What?

Konobbe? - Kothai? - Where?

And ding-ding, we have a winner. This is the kind of explanation I was looking for! Please more...

goru
May 17, 2011, 03:48 PM
Gor - Basha - House

Well, there is a "Ghor" in "proper" Bangla - it usually means "room", but can mean "house" or "home" in certain contexts... like when referring to a village dwelling.

"Basha" actually means "home" and not really "house" (i think incorrect use... should be "bari").

"Bari" can also sometimes refer to "home" ... like "tomar desh-er bari kothay?"

We do use the word "cheepa" in "proper" Bangla - usually to mean something is very narrow, or to refer to a narrow passage.

goru
May 17, 2011, 03:54 PM
BTW, is "Shuddho Bangla" the right term? Isn't that like what Ittefaq used to use? Don't think GCSE ever bothered with that!

Banglaguy
May 17, 2011, 03:56 PM
Well Bari doesn't really mean house any more, rather it means village. Basha means house, as it is grander apparently. Ghor is a house in which we use to refer to houses in this country (all the bengali's I know).

roman
May 17, 2011, 03:56 PM
BTW, is "Shuddho Bangla" the right term? Isn't that like what Ittefaq used to use? Don't think GCSE ever bothered with that!

I believe Ittefaq used to use shadhu vasha, now they are using cholito vasha...

Banglaguy
May 17, 2011, 04:00 PM

I read the the daily ittefaq from time to time... What a load of bs. They can't get their facts right, and can't keep their stories straight..

goru
May 17, 2011, 04:10 PM
Well Bari doesn't really mean house any more, rather it means village. Basha means house, as it is grander apparently. Ghor is a house in which we use to refer to houses in this country (all the bengali's I know).

What the hell, that's totally off from what I know of "proper" Bangla, then...

"Bari" means "house" quite often - like "Ei bari-te ke thake?" (who lives in this house?) or "ei rastay koyta bari?" (how many houses are there on this street?)

"Ghor" is most definitely used as "room" most of the time... like "amar ghor-e asho" (come to my room) as opposed to "amar bari-te/bashay asho" (come to my house). At least, no one in Dhaka city will say "amar ghor-e asho" when they mean "come to my house"...

goru
May 17, 2011, 04:11 PM

Oh yes, completely forgot those terms...

And yeah, I hated shadhu bhasha with a passion...

Banglaguy
May 17, 2011, 04:12 PM
What the hell, that's totally off from what I know of "proper" Bangla, then...

"Bari" means "house" quite often - like "Ei bari-te ke thake?" (who lives in this house?) or "ei rastay koyta bari?" (how many houses are there on this street?)

"Ghor" is most definitely used as "room" most of the time... like "amar ghor-e asho" (come to my room) as opposed to "amar bari-te/bashay asho" (come to my house). At least, no one in Dhaka city will say "amar ghor-e asho" when they mean "come to my house"...

Maybe in Shuddho Basha, but in syhleti, I think the language has gone a bit of the rails.

Ajfar
May 17, 2011, 05:44 PM
For starter its not Bengali, it's Bangla.

lamisa
May 18, 2011, 05:00 AM
how come u can speak shuddho bangla?

idrinkh2O
May 18, 2011, 01:19 PM
@ Banglaguy, do you need help with Bangla vocabulary words or how to read Bangla in shuddo vasha?

Banglaguy
May 18, 2011, 01:29 PM
Both bhai, Ami balo boltam pari nah...
And I can speak it because I just picked it up from one of my dad's friends.

Hatebreed
May 18, 2011, 03:07 PM
Well, there is a "Ghor" in "proper" Bangla - it usually means "room", but can mean "house" or "home" in certain contexts... like when referring to a village dwelling.

"Basha" actually means "home" and not really "house" (i think incorrect use... should be "bari").

"Bari" can also sometimes refer to "home" ... like "tomar desh-er bari kothay?"

We do use the word "cheepa" in "proper" Bangla - usually to mean something is very narrow, or to refer to a narrow passage.

Sylhetis say gor/ghor when they say they are going home, not their room. Basha is the more commonly used term for home AFAIC. If I was translating house, I'd say bari. Most people I know usually reserve the term bari when they are talking about their countryside home. But it can be used for just home so there is nothing wrong with either.

And I wasn't talking about cheepa. I know what cheepa is. What I translated was chipai, although tbh it may be just a joke started by Dhakaiyas and not even an actual Sylheti word.

roman
May 18, 2011, 03:57 PM
Both bhai, Ami balo boltam pari nah...
And I can speak it because I just picked it up from one of my dad's friends.
Ami valo bolte pari nah

I say from now on try to post in Bangla (shuddho) and in this this way you'll get the practice you need.

Banglaguy
May 18, 2011, 04:00 PM
Ami valo bolte pari nah

I say from now on try to post in Bangla (shuddho) and in this this way you'll get the practice you need.

See, the statement makes sense, If it was spoken ,it would've been fine, but because writing has to be correct, I find it difficult.

Banglaguy
May 18, 2011, 04:01 PM
@ Banglaguy, do you need help with Bangla vocabulary words or how to read Bangla in shuddo vasha?

Realisticly, both, as both would help me tremendously.

roman
May 18, 2011, 04:01 PM
See, the statement makes sense, If it was spoken ,it would've been fine, but because writing has to be correct, I find it difficult.
there is no such word as "boltam" in bangla :)

Banglaguy
May 18, 2011, 04:05 PM
there is no such word as "boltam" in bangla :)

In syhleti there is :) People here in London say it all the time... Now Damnit BC stop distracting me! I got an exam tomorrow!