PDA

View Full Version : Did you donate to charity in last 5 years.

iDumb
May 17, 2011, 10:32 PM
I want to know if you guys regularly or irregularly donate to charity. I have never donated to charity, I don't know why - maybe because i don't have money. Whenever I think of charity, there is always a negative thought that pops to my head ie Fraud/Conned.

The concept of giving someone money and not getting anything in return doesn't make sense to me. Is there anything wrong with me?

AsifTheManRahman
May 17, 2011, 10:34 PM
How about an anonymous poll?

iDumb
May 17, 2011, 10:36 PM
I made it public sorry asif.. change it if you can please.

AsifTheManRahman
May 17, 2011, 10:38 PM
Welcome to Banglacricket.com, Where Dreams Come True (as long as you stay away from the cricket team).

Bancan
May 17, 2011, 10:46 PM
I donated to some foundation in India. Also for cancer research here in Toronto.

Alchemist
May 17, 2011, 10:51 PM
Charity is not just about money. It could be anything with an intention to help others (in a selfless manner). Teaching an unknown kid how to read or helping a blind person to cross the street are examples of charity as well. You can only ‘truely’ help others when you’re satisfied with yourself and when you kind of figure out what it means to be a human. It’ll come to you as a call from your soul, but only, when you’re ready.

To answer iDumb’s original question, yes, I try but prefer not to disclose any details here. May Allah give all the BC members more wisdom and ability to help others.

Rabz
May 18, 2011, 04:47 AM
Yes, by the grace of Almighty, I did and I'm thankful to Him for giving me the chance to do so.

goru
May 18, 2011, 05:31 AM
Red Cross a couple of times: Katrina and Haiti, random NHS charities (one of those things where the office secretary goes around collecting money), random donations to etim khanas in Dhaka and flood victims (I give my mom the money and she does the work). I also do pay "zakat" (despite being a "kafir") because my mom asks me to and I don't really see any conflict of interest in it.

Although, I don't really like giving money/goods to charity. It feels like a cop-out, and sometimes I'm worried about whether the money will be used properly. If I had free time and wasn't lazy, I'd prefer to do volunteer work, like teaching/tutoring for free or assisting the disabled.

Zeeshan
May 18, 2011, 08:11 AM
The concept of giving someone money and not getting anything in return doesn't make sense to me. Is there anything wrong with me?

Yes. Divorce your wife.

mac
May 18, 2011, 08:21 AM
Even a smile is charity. Worked in a couple of projects of CA.

http://ca-bd.org/

Banglaguy
May 18, 2011, 02:32 PM
I donated to a fried chicken shop, and they were so nice the cooked me some food.

Banglaguy
May 18, 2011, 02:32 PM
Yes. Divorce your wife.

What a post...

Rubu
May 18, 2011, 02:37 PM
I regularly donate to a orphan children's school ran by my brother. For one, I know the money is in good use and not going to crook's hand or in "administrative fee".

Nafi
May 18, 2011, 04:25 PM
I don't earn money in a viable sense, still a student, therefore I have no money to give to charity.

Tehsin
May 18, 2011, 04:28 PM
Give whenever you are able to. No point having a poll on this. :)

iDumb
May 18, 2011, 05:30 PM
Give whenever you are able to. No point having a poll on this. :)

I am not saying I am able to but even if I was able to, I wouldn't donate to charity ever. Is that immoral?

Sakib
May 18, 2011, 05:35 PM
I am not saying I am able to but even if I was able to, I wouldn't donate to charity ever. Is that immoral?
you sound like a really nice guy.

iDumb
May 18, 2011, 06:00 PM
you sound like a really nice guy.

Reality is I am a very nice guy to the point that it is a flaw. The reason I wouldn't give to charity because I feel like I am giving somebody advantage that they haven't earned.

An example, scholarships.

Why should I pay for education of an A student while denying the same benefits to an F student? What has A student done for me? If the A student has the ability to invent a product that will revolutionize the world, he will do it because he knows he can - whether or not I pay for his tuition.

People always say, even if majority of the charity is conning organization, if it helps even one person, wasting billions of dollars, is worth it. I disagree.

Banglaguy
May 18, 2011, 06:05 PM
Reality is I am a very nice guy to the point that it is a flaw. The reason I wouldn't give to charity because I feel like I am giving somebody advantage that they haven't earned.

Why should I pay for education of an A student while denying the same benefits to an F student? What has A student done for me? If the A student has the ability to invent a product that will revolutionize the world, he will do it because he knows he can - whether or not I pay for his tuition.

People always say, even if majority of the charity is conning organization, if it helps even one person, wasting billions of dollars, is worth it. I disagree.

That A student could be the doctor-to-be who would've saved your life, but didn't have the money for his tuition. I mean, aren't you amongst the most generous people you would ever meet in your lifetime!

What about a disaster hits bangladesh, everyone donates money, and you say ''Nah, they don't deserve it''. God forbid, but say something happens to a member of your family, will you say the same? We are all family in Islam, and the prophet pbuh gave away nearly all of his wealth.

Me being 16, I emptied by bank account for Pakistan last year, giving every last penny, and I still feel as though I have not done enough.

Nafi
May 18, 2011, 06:05 PM

This type of trolling is unnacceptable.

iDumb
May 18, 2011, 06:22 PM
That A student could be the doctor-to-be who would've saved your life, but didn't have the money for his tuition.

I think the C student would have made a better surgeon when I need a surgery. Why isn't he getting the money. You can not predict the future and assume that the recipient of your money will be the future doctor or a scientist. How is it different from playing the lottery?

What about a disaster hits bangladesh, everyone donates money, and you say ''Nah, they don't deserve it''.
Human are entitled to certain things in life - food and shelter are such things, but not education. God forbid, if a disaster hits Bangladesh and millions of people lost their home and can't eat - it is our OBLIGATION to fix that problem. That's why government is formed. Charity is a choice.

God forbid, but say something happens to a member of your family, will you say the same?

Why wouldn't I help out my blood? that's not what we are talking about here, we are talking about giving money to strangers so they can "better" themselves because they are "less fortunate" than we are. Well I like to be on top and fortunate.

Me being 16, I emptied by bank account for Pakistan last year, giving every last penny, and I still feel as though I have not done enough.
well good for you. They probably built Bin Laden Bunker with that money.

iDumb
May 18, 2011, 06:25 PM
This type of trolling is unnacceptable.

I am guessing you are one of the people enjoying a free education on other people's money. I am sure if your government didn't pay for your college, you would've still gone there. Education is a privilege not a right.

Again people are wasting their money on you, you already sound uneducated with this post of yours.

RazabQ
May 18, 2011, 06:28 PM
http://www.agami.org/ - donate, emcee their fund-raisers and other stuff. Zakat of course ... Others are random

Nafi
May 18, 2011, 06:40 PM

well good for you. They probably built Bin Laden Bunker with that money.

:floor: I wish I had the guts to say this to some people.

Banglaguy
May 18, 2011, 06:43 PM
:floor: I wish I had the guts to say this to some people.

It doesn't take guts to say something behind a screen to someone you don't know.

Nafi
May 18, 2011, 06:46 PM
It doesn't take guts to say something behind a screen to someone you don't know.

My point actually, was I wish I had the guts to say this to some people (being my pakistani friends)

iDumb
May 18, 2011, 06:55 PM

that comment wasn't an attack on you. Be cool headed, read in context, think and then reply. Don't misunderstand.

Banglaguy
May 18, 2011, 06:58 PM
that comment wasn't an attack on you. Be cool headed, read in context, think and then reply. Don't misunderstand.

I understand what you mean, by the fact that the aid doesn't completely get there, but if it does or doesn't allah rewards you for your intention, and will punish those who did the wrong deeds.

idrinkh2O
May 18, 2011, 08:05 PM
Yes, donated money/time/energy at various causes (Alhamdullillah)!

Isnaad
May 19, 2011, 02:47 AM
Akhoni earn e kori naa.........anyways my parents give Zakaat every year. Alhamdulillah :D

Sakib
May 19, 2011, 02:52 AM
:D

thats a charity right there my boy

Trigger_Tiger
May 19, 2011, 03:22 AM
Have been making donations since 2003, but made solid and sound donations over the last 1 year through save the children, for this pichchi girl in Bangladesh named Reshma Khatun =)!

magic boy
May 19, 2011, 03:36 AM
To some people Charity is another platform of publicizing themselves instead of actual mentality to help the needy. In Bangladesh the scenario is nakedly comedic. Ministers/Local Godfathers/Riches are busy to donate only in front of flashing cameras. Be it one piece of Lungi or one packet Kangalivoj, they got to show their face for the sake of publicity. Even the Primeminsiter & President wait minutes for posing. Lots of banner-festoon just to highlight the donation, omukh bekti tomukh school e lakh taka daan koresen

Also, we sometime tend to gossip around about how much money we donate here & there. but its also kinda negative aspect of charity , if I'm not wrong.

When you give with you right hand, you left hand should not know it

“The alms are only for the poor and the needy, and those who collect them, and those whose hearts are to be reconciled…a duty imposed by Allah.” (Koran 9:60)

“But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.” (Matthew 6:3-4)

we shouldn't shout when we give helps...Rather be silent about it. =)

Trigger_Tiger
May 19, 2011, 04:17 AM
we shouldn't shout when we give helps...Rather be silent about it. =)

While your post is most definitely commendable in most respect, some may (I did) take offense to it, as no one here is BOASTING about it or mentioning who paid how much.

Charity is a thing I find to be something to be very proud of, it completes me and gives me satisfaction when nothing in life is going right! Just to know that I did something good to bring a smile to the face of someone unfortunate, or someone who needs dire help gives me unmatched satisfaction.

So should one ever boast about it? Never! But should someone talk about it if the topic comes up? Hell yes! Like every other topic, this is not harem, and one that should definitely encourage those who can help but have not yet done so, go out there and help.

Charity does not even have to be monetary either! It could be letting a vagabond lay his weary head in your house when he most needs it in a cold night. Charity is amazing and one aspect that truly makes one feel self-satisfied and morally clean. And let's not even bother to talk about corrupt politicians and frauds here please...none of us are those morons :)!

Ashfaq
May 19, 2011, 04:20 AM
Oprhy, If you have money and can still to enjoy it's benefits while knowing a little bit of your money can go a long way to relieve somebody in pain, then go ahead, it's your money and charity is no obligation.

Unless of-course, that annoying tiny voice in the back your head, called conscience keeps bugging you. Personally I sometime give people money from my meager allowance just so that I'll be at peace with my conscience.

Trigger_Tiger
May 19, 2011, 04:22 AM

At this rate, no nation will ever be able to hold its head up high ever. You can get far in life just like the Rockefellera et all, because you have this sort of a mentality. But only if you were born into aristocracy with that thinking you would for sure (not saying you can't)!

Its nice to give when you have more than enough. Even as less as $10 could help a kid in a 3rd world country...that is less than a movie ticket currently in America...jeez!

Trigger_Tiger
May 19, 2011, 04:23 AM
Personally I sometime give people money from my meager allowance just so that I'll be at peace with my conscience.

Where is the like button?!

iDumb
May 20, 2011, 09:52 PM
today this guy in the subway holding $1.50, asked for a dollar so he can buy a token to enter the subway (ticket being 2.50). Immediately, my gut and my brain said this guy is lying and obviously trying to con people (on a small level). Usually, I would just rush pass him just to show I have to catch the train and I don't have time for this nonsense but the contents of this thread popped in my head. Let me be charitable today. So I give him a dollar, he says "thanks man" and I enter the subway.

Now I wanna know if this guy buys a ticket or not (he was strategically standing in front of the vending machine as if he was "buying" a metro card but short on cash). So when I am in, I am out of his view but I still have him in my view to see what he does. And I didn't have to wait long. In fact in less than 10 seconds, he again goes up to another lady passenger and shows the exact same change $1.50, and asked for help. The lady also gave him a dollar. I had seen enough, I went down to wait for my train.

I didn't feel cheated because I knew in the back of my mind that would happen. But things like this just strengthens this "inner feelings" of mine. Why did I waste a dollar to test what I already knew? I could have used that to buy a lottery cuz hey you never know.

Zeeshan
May 20, 2011, 09:57 PM
Orphy's got a point somewhere in his poshomless, pashan heart of his....

Samaritan's dilemma (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samaritan%27s_dilemma)

Yasin.
May 21, 2011, 04:02 AM
today this guy in the subway holding $1.50, asked for a dollar so he can buy a token to enter the subway (ticket being 2.50). Immediately, my gut and my brain said this guy is lying and obviously trying to con people (on a small level). Usually, I would just rush pass him just to show I have to catch the train and I don't have time for this nonsense but the contents of this thread popped in my head. Let me be charitable today. So I give him a dollar, he says "thanks man" and I enter the subway.

Now I wanna know if this guy buys a ticket or not (he was strategically standing in front of the vending machine as if he was "buying" a metro card but short on cash). So when I am in, I am out of his view but I still have him in my view to see what he does. And I didn't have to wait long. In fact in less than 10 seconds, he again goes up to another lady passenger and shows the exact same change $1.50, and asked for help. The lady also gave him a dollar. I had seen enough, I went down to wait for my train.

I didn't feel cheated because I knew in the back of my mind that would happen. But things like this just strengthens this "inner feelings" of mine. Why did I waste a dollar to test what I already knew? I could have used that to buy a lottery cuz hey you never know.

That was his choice. You have your choice. Will every person in need be like the person you mentioned? No. Will you meet others who are like this person? Yes.

Last year when I was in the park with a friend [we just finished praying Isha] we met this Pakistani man you who told us that he hadnt eaten anything for the last 3 days. We bought him dinner. After that he told us he had no money to buy a ticket for going back home and his mother was very sick. Since we both were students and didnt have much cash on us, we gave him what we had...approximately 100$. The next day in masjid another Pakistani man comes up to me and said the same thing.... "I havent eaten since 3 days...dont have money to buy ticket...my mom is sick." I didnt give him anything but offered him support and words of encouragement and told him I will pray that his situation gets better. He kept pestering for money but I still didnt give him.

Were both of them lying? Maybe. Was I cheated? Maybe.

But I have made a choice. That is not to over analyze these things. If you give, then give with a pure heart and move on. If you cant give, then at least dont be rude, and call them names, even if they deserve being called names. Yes the world is not white or black and everyone has shades of grey and maybe I am trying to sound holier than thou but at the end of the day I am answerable and so is he. I had leave it at that.

F6_Turbo
May 21, 2011, 04:55 AM
SOS Childrens Village in Dhaka

Great organization, who help to take care of orphaned children, with no religious overtones.

Banglaguy
May 21, 2011, 06:55 AM
Okay, poverty in England and America is different, and usually the homelessness is their own fault in some way. They are crooks some of them, and they use the money for wrong doings. I don't consider it charity giving them money, as they probably will get help from the government if they seek it. On the other hand, in places in which natural disaster has struck, they need it, and they will not waste in on investing in a 5 star hotel. Islamic Aid, Muslim aid, red cross, christian aid. They all are real charities, aimed at helping the poor, not the drunk.

kawser
May 21, 2011, 09:28 PM
worked for red crescent back in bangladesh. and someone rightly said..even smile at someone is charity

Banglaguy
June 18, 2011, 05:38 AM
worked for red crescent back in bangladesh. and someone rightly said..even smile at someone is charity

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said: "Charity is prescribed for each descendant of Adam every day the sun rises." He was then asked: "From what do we give charity every day?" The Prophet answered: "The doors of goodness are many...enjoining good, forbidding evil, removing harm from the road, listening to the deaf, leading the blind, guiding one to the object of his need, hurrying with the strength of one's legs to one in sorrow who is asking for help, and supporting the feeble with the strength of one's arms--all of these are charity prescribed for you." He also said: "Your smile for your brother is charity." - Fiqh-us-Sunnah, Volume 3, Number 98