PDA

View Full Version : Help:External Hard drive crashed.

Bancan
May 29, 2011, 08:35 PM
So my Western Digital 1TB external HD crashed. Now I need to reformat it. But when i try Windows says it cannot reformat it. Can someone help please.

ammark
May 29, 2011, 08:43 PM
If it crashed.... it could well be physical damage. I use a Ubuntu Live CD to do these reformatting things. They give a good diagnosis of which sectors are ruined and they skip those accordingly. Most of the time I'm even able to recover my data from the hard drive.

If you want to follow this way: download the latest ubuntu iso release and run the OS off the CD... once in you should be able to use Gnome Partition Manager graphically and work things.

But first make sure that your BIOS actually recognises the external hard disk plugged in when you start up your pc.

Nasif
May 29, 2011, 08:54 PM
You will need to set your sector 0 in your harddrive to all 0 or 0xFF. You can try this one to do it manually: http://www.e-f-w.com/content.php?cid=rda

Or, Download Ubuntu Live CD (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download).

It will let you create a new partition; ext3 or any other ones. Once partition is created and saved. You can exit installer. Boot back into windows; it should now let you delete that partition and create a new one.

Whichever way you do it, take extreme care when you select the drive. If you select wrong one; your running system harddrive might get overwritten.

Remember: if you set sector 0 on any drive to all 0 or 0xFF; it will remove all partitions. Basically kills the filesystem pointers. If you accidentally do this on wrong drive; then only recovery is to use some of the recovery software out there. Very painstaking process with low success rate.

So, double check, triple check every button click or keyboard press.

Zeeshan
May 29, 2011, 08:57 PM
I actualled roflmaoed to this topic but then realized it will only pss off Bancan.

goru
May 30, 2011, 03:31 AM
I actualled roflmaoed to this topic but then realized it will only pss off Bancan.

That'd be mean... poor guy is already grieving over the loss of his pr0n collection...

Zunaid
May 30, 2011, 04:00 AM
I had that happen to me. Thankfully I was able to recreate most of what I lost. Since then I have built in a redundant redundancy system. I have the data on my machine. I also have it on my raided external NAS drive and to top it all, I also back it up on the cloud.

Rabz
May 30, 2011, 04:13 AM
That'd be mean... poor guy is already grieving over the loss of his pr0n collection...

That is years of hard work and dedication behind it.
Terrible loss bro.

Bancan
May 30, 2011, 05:19 AM

I knew when I opened this thread, you would. :-X

Night_wolf
May 30, 2011, 05:29 AM

That is years of hard work and dedication behind it.
Terrible loss bro.

lol!

reverse_swing
May 30, 2011, 11:10 AM
Make life simple. You can use cloud storage like Dropbox.

Bancan
May 30, 2011, 06:10 PM
Make life simple. You can use cloud storage like Dropbox.

I have been using dropbox for 3 years now. Unfortunately I cannot use dropbox for 700 gigs of files.

Bancan
May 30, 2011, 06:10 PM
Thanks Guys for the help. I am gonna try them now.