PDA

View Full Version : Bangladesh in the list of the most failed states

nakedzero
June 21, 2011, 11:37 PM
Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal and Sri Lanka are featured in the list of the most failed states, the prestigious US-based Foreign Policy magazine said in its latest annual ranking, reports UNB.
Pakistan was ranked at 12th, Myanmar 18th, Bangladesh 25th, Nepal 27th, Sri Lanka 29th and Bhutan 50th in the list of 60 countries in which African countries dominate.
The countries in the top 10 are Chad, Sudan, Democratic Republic of Congo, Haiti, Zimbabwe, Afghanistan, Central African Republic and Iraq.
On Bangladesh, the report said two of five Bangladeshis live under the poverty line.
Any improvement will also be fighting the environmental clock. If sea levels rise just by 1 metre, scientists warn, 17 per cent of the country could be submerged.
"Pakistan has long been dubbed the world's most dangerous country in Washington policy circles" and "yet Pakistan isn't just dangerous for the West-it's often a danger to its own people," said the report.
"Nepal is the poorest country in South Asia, according to the United Nations, and that's unlikely to change until the peace process is implemented and security restored. There are signs that the Maoists may be losing patience-and thinking about going back to the trenches to fight for more," added the report.
On Sri Lanka, it said, "The government's final push against the rebels relied on the shelling of civilians and other atrocities, according to a 2010 report by the International Crisis Group.
"The most recent statistics from last year indicate that some 327,000 are still displaced from the conflict."
"Despite the pronounced fractures still lingering, the
Sinhalese-dominated government in Colombo seems eager to forget the past," it added.

SOURCE (http://www.newstoday.com.bd/index.php?option=details&news_id=31092&date=2011-06-22)

Rabz
June 21, 2011, 11:47 PM
Yeah, whatever.
Give few offshore blocks to US Oil companies, we'd be off first 50.
Give 'em a Navy base here, we'd be off the chart.

Banglatiger84
June 22, 2011, 12:16 AM
The list is an absolute joke

Sierra Leone, Liberia, Eritrea, all of which had or are having actual civil wars in them are all ranked above Bangladesh !

And Libya is not even among the 60 failed state list

Turkey and Thailand are supposedly more failed than Libya, and Libya is placed at the same rank with ......Malaysia.

Thats tells you all you need to know about how corelated this list is with whether a country is actually failed/dangerous

Banglaguy
June 22, 2011, 03:09 AM
It's just because we're not the USA's bitch.

Night_wolf
June 22, 2011, 03:15 AM
meh

Alien
June 22, 2011, 06:30 AM
Where is Somalia? The place doesn't even have a government. Maybe if they said "failed government" I'd have agreed wholeheartedly.

Jadukor
June 22, 2011, 06:58 AM
Where is Somalia? The place doesn't even have a government. Maybe if they said "failed government" I'd have agreed wholeheartedly.
Somalia is no 1
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2011/06/17/2011_failed_states_index_interactive_map_and_ranki ngs

Equinox
June 22, 2011, 07:07 AM
Yeah, whatever.
Give few offshore blocks to US Oil companies, we'd be off first 50.
Give 'em a Navy base here, we'd be off the chart.
Bingo.

Jadukor
June 22, 2011, 07:19 AM
just looked at the 2008 ranking from the same website and we were ranked 12!... so i guess the positive to take from this is that we are heading in the right direction now

simon
June 22, 2011, 08:58 AM
ya right we r improving,look at Pak now,they did a lot bad to us,so now they r paying for it.still i hope the bomb blasts stop cause this is killing innocent people.

Alien
June 22, 2011, 09:09 AM
Well really there is no difference between Somalia, Iraq and Afghanistan. Take US troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan its basically reduced to what Somalia is now - bandits ruling most of the country while some *internationally recognised* government barely holding on to a city or two.

deshimon
June 22, 2011, 12:22 PM

Sierra Leone, Liberia, Eritrea, all of which had or are having actual civil wars in them are all ranked above Bangladesh !

Turkey and Thailand are supposedly more failed than Libya, and Libya is placed at the same rank with ......Malaysia.

Thats tells you all you need to know about how corelated this list is with whether a country is actually failed/dangerous

The list isn't fair. USA always thinks its own interest. They publish somethings which keep their interest so that they can rule others.

magic boy
June 22, 2011, 02:23 PM
From Kissinger's 'Basket Case' Bangladesh to Hatric most corrupted country tag to this one of the most failed states - I wouldn't care but there is something really wrong with our country. May be not the whole nation but some major important directorial systems have failed miserably for what we the poor people suffering much. I cant deny the fact of acute political abnormality in the nation which is causing Bangladesh bound to lag behind. For example, these consecutive strike days(Hartals) delaying economical progress for days at this level of certain goal to be developed country. Are we safe in a hartal day if we go out across a protest rally of opposition party? NO. Call me pessimistic but just cant hide this deadly factor. They will burn your alive while riding public bus in a hartal day . hahahahahahhah. our lives are just duck to be roasted in a public bus. The ruling Govt. is unable to stop this as they are also thinking of doing so as in case if they will also have to be opposition party in future. So no permanent solution on this issue.

Corruption is still major problem and present like cancerous form in any sector by anybody at any position, be it higher or lower. Either you are corrupted or sufferer of corruption by people bellow or upper you. You as a Bangladeshi cant avoid it easily. In result mango people cry and die in need of food,treatment,education,livelihood,civil rights etc still nobody to care form any Political figure of this country who are historically controlling the nation since birth and no one, no alternative power to go against them.

The fake luxury we see on print & visual media with desi maals are just portraiture of rich filthy Dhaka city. There is no importance shown on rest of the part of the country. As if those are the 3rd world nations and Dhaka the capital is western world.

Look at this innocent lad (http://newsbna.net/innerpage.php?id=17206). He was also a Bangladeshi, A bright future who could be a brighter son of the nation or next Shakib al Hasan but wasted away with a bullet of Political chaos. But where is the effective reaction from respective authority? Has there been any rally protesting this death of innocent soul in Dhaka either? Are the Dhakaia media reviewing this death with great like care like they do in any political fart happen in Dhaka? Why not? Cause he is not Dhaka City dweller . He is just another rural boy in some part of Bangladesh . oh forget it , we have more news to look at. duh!

I don't wanna put on the colorful optimist sunglass about my country and say Bangladesh is not that much failed as others think. I would like to say ok, lets not overlook these reports or ignore.... lets work hard and make this nation better than they could imagine. that's the thing our rulers never want to commit. They always want to hide out the negative facts of the current status of the nation and try to take credits for positive growth.

goodnight.

nakedzero
June 22, 2011, 02:30 PM
:up::up::up: Good Night.

bujhee kom
June 22, 2011, 03:10 PM
My dear Majic Boy Emon you are our future leader! May the good Lord allways bless you and Bangladesh! Good night!

roman
June 22, 2011, 03:46 PM
:clap::clap:@ Magic Boy..You have outlined the biggest adversity of our country..Wish only few of our policy makers were thinking like you. Only few(thats all I am begging from the Almighty).....

al Furqaan
June 22, 2011, 05:05 PM

exactly. whoever came up with that list must have had the insight of a Sarah Palin.

Alchemist
June 22, 2011, 08:16 PM
From Kissinger's 'Basket Case' Bangladesh to Hatric most corrupted country tag to this one of the most failed states - I wouldn't care but there is something really wrong with our country. May be not the whole nation but some major important directorial systems have failed miserably for what we the poor people suffering much. I cant deny the fact of acute political abnormality in the nation which is causing Bangladesh bound to lag behind. For example, these consecutive strike days(Hartals) delaying economical progress for days at this level of certain goal to be developed country. Are we safe in a hartal day if we go out across a protest rally of opposition party? NO. Call me pessimistic but just cant hide this deadly factor. They will burn your alive while riding public bus in a hartal day . hahahahahahhah. our lives are just duck to be roasted in a public bus. The ruling Govt. is unable to stop this as they are also thinking of doing so as in case if they will also have to be opposition party in future. So no permanent solution on this issue.

Corruption is still major problem and present like cancerous form in any sector by anybody at any position, be it higher or lower. Either you are corrupted or sufferer of corruption by people bellow or upper you. You as a Bangladeshi cant avoid it easily. In result mango people cry and die in need of food,treatment,education,livelihood,civil rights etc still nobody to care form any Political figure of this country who are historically controlling the nation since birth and no one, no alternative power to go against them.

The fake luxury we see on print & visual media with desi maals are just portraiture of rich filthy Dhaka city. There is no importance shown on rest of the part of the country. As if those are the 3rd world nations and Dhaka the capital is western world.

Look at this innocent lad (http://newsbna.net/innerpage.php?id=17206). He was also a Bangladeshi, A bright future who could be a brighter son of the nation or next Shakib al Hasan but wasted away with a bullet of Political chaos. But where is the effective reaction from respective authority? Has there been any rally protesting this death of innocent soul in Dhaka either? Are the Dhakaia media reviewing this death with great like care like they do in any political fart happen in Dhaka? Why not? Cause he is not Dhaka City dweller . He is just another rural boy in some part of Bangladesh . oh forget it , we have more news to look at. duh!

I don't wanna put on the colorful optimist sunglass about my country and say Bangladesh is not that much failed as others think. I would like to say ok, lets not overlook these reports or ignore.... lets work hard and make this nation better than they could imagine. that's the thing our rulers never want to commit. They always want to hide out the negative facts of the current status of the nation and try to take credits for positive growth.

goodnight.

Brilliant post Magic Boy. :up::up::up:

Alien
June 22, 2011, 08:38 PM
BD is a failed state. I don't have to elaborate the reasons we all know them off by heart. Given the rapid population growth we are sitting on a ticking time bomb. A tsunami or Japan-style earthquake will easily break the record books in terms of casualty figures.

I am not saying the ranking is right by any means but regardless we can't belittle the problems grappling the whole country. All of us here come of well-off families. And people like us don't even make up 5% of the population.

Banglatiger84
June 23, 2011, 01:25 AM

goodnight.

I disagree. To point out that we are not as messed up as Liberia does not mean I am putting on colourful "optimistic sunglasses"

We have many many problems, and i agree about the fact that we should not use rich people's wealth as an indicator that we are doing well.

And for that matter, such wealthy people who talk about lakhs as if it was a 100 tk note are not restricted to Dhaka. Each town of our country has such wealthy people, but yes, they may not dress that well or may not speak English with a faux American accent, but they are filthy rich and are not afraid to throw around Crores in search of luxury.

Our team was 58 all out vs WI. However if people started saying that this proved that Zambia and Thailand were better cricket teams than us, we would be right to disagree. Would that make us optimistic? No it wouldnt.