PDA

View Full Version : Your funny racism encounters?

Zeeshan
July 8, 2011, 03:08 PM
Well for starters I used to carry whole encyclopedia britannica in my backpack and people would tell me: why is your backpack so heavy? are u carrying b---s? sigh.

I know many of you brownies are on the receiving end of racism encounters. well now you can share your vent and frustrations here. people can vote onthe funnies..with 100 as the top score. (please vote for me with 100.)

@orphy: i know you got some turban jokes in there somewhere during your double life stint as cab driver..

@bcf.. if you don't pwn this thread...i will convert to islam :-p

MohammedC
July 8, 2011, 04:10 PM
Some of you may know I have been working as cab driver for last 2 years. I do come across a lot of racial abuse not aggressive. I always ignore them as I find its the best way. But one day I had to say something. And this is how it went.

Me: Cab for Mr and Mrs X and family (6 people one of them is 12 year kid )

Mr X: With a shocking face looking at me...... So Which part of the world are you from?

(I knew straight away, I have got a bad customer)

Me: England (Knowing Mr X wanted to hear me say Asian/Indian etc so wanted say something different to p him off.)

Mr X: No, I am asking what are you (meaning race)

Me: I am English...(Mr X had enough so change the subject)

Mr X: So what benefit do you get living in this country. (Most racist people think Asian people live in UK and claim social security benefit)

Me: Being English I get the same benefit as you do.

Conversation went in circle. But I wont give in about me being English.

By that time MR X had enough of me. Too my delight our next few miles was a very quite and pleasant journey.

N.B. To all American and Canadian BCites : In UK even if you born and brought up in England , You will be classed as British Asian but you can never be English Asian. Where as in America or in Canada once you are settled take citizenship you will be American or Canadian respectively. (correct me if I am wrong)

@ Zeeshan: It is not funny but it gives me a lot of pleasure when I remember this incident as I could shut a man down who wanted to humiliate me in front of his family because of my colour.

Zeeshan
July 8, 2011, 04:24 PM
Nice to story Mohammad bhai. Too bad I never stood up for myself and let them trample, stampede, trammel over me....

Once I had a very bad one dressed in punjabi. I used to go to high school in that outfit on Fridays so that I could sneak out on my French class at 12:00 for jummah prayer.

In the bus, one guy randomly started to pick a fight. Where you from Afghanistan? Sandn----" And the ever-so cliche of "Go back to your country. What...you wanna f... fight me? We can get off the next stop."

I was shivering on my knees yet I still managed to say, "I bet you wouldn't say that in a black neighborhood cuz you know you will get your *** kicked..." I swear to God I was thinking of Bruce Willis in Die Hard 3 where he stood with banner "I hate N...." and I felt like Samuel L. Jackson at that time.

Severus
July 9, 2011, 01:53 AM
We, Asians, are more racists than the Europeans/Americans , period.

incident 1: A girl I know got rejected by her bf's mother as she had a skin with dark tone. They never got married.

incident 2: quite a while ago ( i guess sometimes before '93 ) there was a big tournament in India with all teams like WI, SA, Eng, Aus. There was the match between India and WI. The broadcasters made a mistake of keeping the mics that were closer to the crowd , loud. So the whole match we got to hear sweet bangla phrases like , "Lombu, Lombu" , "kalu, Kalu"

incident 3: I had a long distant relationship with a Chinese girl for a few years. according to them, we Bangladesh are Negros.

Antora
July 9, 2011, 03:02 AM
Well racism ey? I usually chuck in insults when people are trying to be racist and I have a natural evil glare which my friend described as '" can make a hole in anyone's forehead" :P. So people can't get too far being racist with me, they are the ones who end up being insulted and start crying :D. I, from a very young age learnt to stand up for myself, which is why people can't really get too far with me. However I do remember one where I actually resolved to violence ( yes I am the violent type at times :P ). This happened a day or two after september 11.

Me : * walks into class*
some loser : You're muslim ye?
ME: yes and....?
Some loser : OMG you're dad was the one who did the attacks!!!

* At the time we lived in Tasmania in a small town where my dad was the only doctor*

Me: what'd you say?

Some loser : You're Dad did the attacks

Me : * scratched her so hard I peeled her skin off and she started bleeding* ( i secretly smiled while she sat there crying)

She went and told the teacher, but since he was hearing our convo, he was on my side and when he was busy with another student I scratched her :D she was the one who got into trouble ( for being mean ), although I got a little yelled at for making her bleed.....but oh well.... it was a good day .....

Isnaad
July 9, 2011, 06:53 AM
When I was in USA for a year, I got into many bad situations related to religion. When people at school heard I am a Muslim, many of them behaved differently and some exceeded the limits. Like once, a kid named Bob (A tall and skinny guy with Harry Potter-like spectacles who was a book addict and a nerd!) was making fun of our Prophet (Sm) in front of me and approached towards the Iraq and Afghanistan affairs. I got so angry when he tried to prove Islam guilty and directly told him- "Ey listen! I am a Muslim and I am proud orryt? Your president George W. Bush (The president then) is a thief! He is greedy for the oil in Middle East and the whole world knows that! And listen, one more bad word about my Prophet and I will send you to the Co-ordinator for insulting my Religion." He never disturbed me again.
P.S. Don't take my reply as offensive. I was only 13 years old then and was really pissed off! If that happened with me now, I would surely have given a more mature answer.

Isnaad
July 9, 2011, 07:08 AM
Another incident I want to share with you all:
There was a boy named Teddy (Funny name for a boy x)...) who used to treat me as if I come from a country where nothing exists!
He used to ask questions like-
-Do you have cell phones in Baang-laa-deish?
-Your country is soo poor, you must be one of the richest families from your country right?
-Do you have cars in Baang-laa-deish?
I used to answer him normally....I tried my best to keep my anger in control. But not for long,
One day in class,
This brainless kid asks me- Ever saw a chewing gum?
Me(Out loud in front of the whole class): Ey dude listen! I have had more chewing gums in my life than you ever came through! Got a ':O' stare from all my classmates as I was kind of loud! But I felt better after letting my anger out!
Most people in the USA think that only the Western World is civilized. These people need to develop common sense!

Nafi
July 9, 2011, 11:33 AM
B--s?? Someone tell me what this means, pm if necessary.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)

Isnaad
July 9, 2011, 11:34 AM
B--s?? Someone tell me what this means, pm if necessary.

I second that. Please PM me if necessary as well :)

Zeeshan
July 9, 2011, 12:48 PM
bombs

inspyr9
July 9, 2011, 01:05 PM
after bin laden died the next day I had to hear this from three different people, "hey, how come you are not sad? We killed your cousin yesterday"

Electrequiem
July 9, 2011, 02:00 PM
Ah, good thread Zeeshan.

I've got some stories for ya. But I'll share them later. I'll drop one for now ... Although racist and insensitive, it was still pretty funny.

There was this Pakistani Muslim kid in my high school who was a complete douche to everyone ... I mean he had a terrible personality. One of my good friends (who I know isn't racist) wanted to annoy him one day. So during their verbal spat, my buddy told the guy "You are responsible for 9/11!" The paki dude was completely dumbfounded ... He said "dude, that's messed up. One of my relatives actually died during the attacks." To that, my friend quipped: "Yeah, I know. He was one of the hijackers." The paki guy just fumed away.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)

Yameen
July 9, 2011, 03:31 PM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AFfQiXLOON0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

English Defence league are a racist organisation and are extremely islamophobic, check out the video to hear some of their eye opening members

WARNING: May leave you in stitches

BanCricFan
July 9, 2011, 07:11 PM
Nice one, Yameen :)

<EMBED height=390 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=640 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/AIPD8qHhtVU?version=3 allowScriptAccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"> (http://<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AIPD8qHhtVU?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AIPD8qHhtVU?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>)

akabir77
July 9, 2011, 07:12 PM
I was rushing to get to a movie theater and I saw a guy trying to pass but to our bangladeshi standard he was miles away so i didn't stop and went away to park my car. but when i came back to stand in the line the kids father charged me and started screaming all foreigners should be banned from driving. I just kept my cool and said yes all the foreigners are responsible for all accidents in usa. And btw how do you figure i was a foreigner? by my skin color? i said the last line very slowly and loudly. by now i got most of the other people on my side and the guy had no answer... I wanted say some more like you should not teach your kid that you are racist and what not instead i said i am sorry that i didn't stop but I was sure he was not close enough and i was careful about it... anyway at the end people were happy about my response and I am too. and i think to this day the guy still think twice before saying something racist like that (I hope)...

akabir77
July 9, 2011, 07:37 PM
Another incident I want to share with you all:
There was a boy named Teddy (Funny name for a boy x)...) who used to treat me as if I come from a country where nothing exists!
He used to ask questions like-
-Do you have cell phones in Baang-laa-deish?
-Your country is soo poor, you must be one of the richest families from your country right?
-Do you have cars in Baang-laa-deish?
I used to answer him normally....I tried my best to keep my anger in control. But not for long,
One day in class,
This brainless kid asks me- Ever saw a chewing gum?
Me(Out loud in front of the whole class): Ey dude listen! I have had more chewing gums in my life than you ever came through! Got a ':O' stare from all my classmates as I was kind of loud! But I felt better after letting my anger out!
Most people in the USA think that only the Western World is civilized. These people need to develop common sense!

I know you had bad impression about usa from some kids in your school but saying most people in usa is kind of ... I had bad interaction too but i know there are very few that actually means anything. (just like some people in bangladesh chants kawla or lombu, it is not hate-rate, to me its just don't know about something and not knowing...)

I know for a fact there wonderful people in usa who would die for you or for the truth and there numbers are far greater than most places...

Zeeshan
July 9, 2011, 07:52 PM
akabir do you forgive? oh Lord, by sweet Jesus have you embraced Jesus? Say oh I forgive..

or you can choose the other road to lead to astray by taking it all out on Ash...

so by that line of reasoning Fazal mama must've have been victim of hate wayy too many times. wouldn't i have guessed...:smug:

simon
July 9, 2011, 07:57 PM
living in France for so long,never had such experience,ya that's how polite French are,if they don't like u they will avoid u in a very polite way.
But there was once two of my close friends both french asked me why my english is so good,I answered ,cause I'm from BD,then one of them said isn't that a very poor country,the other one agreed & said ya it's a very poor country,I replied ya it's poor but not as poor as u think.
this little conversation did hurt me as I wasn't expecting them to say that,eventhough I blve they didn't say it to hurt me,they spoke the truth which hurts.

Zeeshan
July 9, 2011, 08:11 PM
living in France for so long,never had such experience,ya that's how polite French are,if they don't like u they will avoid u in a very polite way.
But there was once two of my close friends both french asked me why my english is so good,I answered ,cause I'm from BD,then one of them said isn't that a very poor country,the other one agreed & said ya it's a very poor country,I replied ya it's poor but not as poor as u think.
this little conversation did hurt me as I wasn't expecting them to say that,eventhough I blve they didn't say it to hurt me,they spoke the truth which hurts.

instead of getting b8hutt should've said: maybe poor but smell like B---ch I’m Rich cologn...lil tunechi

Zunaid
July 9, 2011, 08:13 PM
I know you had bad impression about usa from some kids in your school but saying most people in usa is kind of ... I had bad interaction too but i know there are very few that actually means anything. (just like some people in bangladesh chants kawla or lombu, it is not hate-rate, to me its just don't know about something and not knowing...)

I know for a fact there wonderful people in usa who would die for you or for the truth and there numbers are far greater than most places...

:up:

Personally, in my 20+ years in the US I've never personally faced ANY incidents of racial prejudice, funny or otherwise. And I've traveled quite a lot in seemingly unwelcome areas: Arkansas backwoods where they will shoot you or welcome you with equal proclivity or the redneck capital of the USA, the heart of Texas.

My first taste with racism was one of reverse-racism. Mirpur Zoo, 1975. I was visiting the Zoo with an uncle and there was a white family also visiting. There was a group of adolescents trailing them about 20 feet behind and making loud comments about "laal bandor', and they were NOT talking about any exhibit.

I felt really bad for my kind.

Zeeshan
July 9, 2011, 08:17 PM
From campaign found in the net, a propos:
http://kupika.com/diarypage.php?id=m49515483f3a2e4i797h

iDumb
July 9, 2011, 11:19 PM
I was rushing to get to a movie theater and I saw a guy trying to pass but to our bangladeshi standard he was miles away so i didn't stop and went away to park my car. but when i came back to stand in the line the kids father charged me and started screaming all foreigners should be banned from driving. I just kept my cool and said yes all the foreigners are responsible for all accidents in usa. And btw how do you figure i was a foreigner? by my skin color? i said the last line very slowly and loudly. by now i got most of the other people on my side and the guy had no answer... I wanted say some more like you should not teach your kid that you are racist and what not instead i said i am sorry that i didn't stop but I was sure he was not close enough and i was careful about it... anyway at the end people were happy about my response and I am too. and i think to this day the guy still think twice before saying something racist like that (I hope)...

If he felt threatened, then you were not careful enough. You are the one with 5000 lbs of matter going at a speed of 30+ mph - could have killed his kids. I think you deserved that bit of the comment. Just my opinion. I don't think he was being racist... and yes you should be sorry. The problem is it is not a crime until you hit someone...but when it is a crime...tough luck for the victim.

There is an irony in your last sentence. I bet the guy is thinking, that you would think twice before not giving the way for a pedestrian after this incidence. In the end, neither of you learned anything.

Banglatiger84
July 10, 2011, 12:55 AM
My first taste with racism was one of reverse-racism. Mirpur Zoo, 1975. I was visiting the Zoo with an uncle and there was a white family also visiting. There was a group of adolescents trailing them about 20 feet behind and making loud comments about "laal bandor', and they were NOT talking about any exhibit.

I felt really bad for my kind.

Thats interesting; I thought Chinese were the only Asians to refer to Caucasians as red derogatively (Ang-Moh).
Now it seems even some of us do it.....

layperson
July 10, 2011, 12:58 AM
I dont know why people take the question "where are you from" offensively. I have asked that question to caucaisans and there are people who have asked me this as well. I find nothing wrong in it. I answer them proudly that I am from Bangladesh and they do too when I ask them the question. I cant remember facing any racism for the long 8 yrs I have been in Canada.

Zeeshan
July 10, 2011, 02:52 AM
I dont know why people take the question "where are you from" offensively. I have asked that question to caucaisans and there are people who have asked me this as well. I find nothing wrong in it. I answer them proudly that I am from Bangladesh and they do too when I ask them the question. I cant remember facing any racism for the long 8 yrs I have been in Canada.

I mentioned it in some thread (i think smbl or what's on your mind...) where I said I find it offensive. It all depends upon the INTENT of the questioner. If his intent is to rub some salt on your wounded ego then yeah it begs the question why is he is so concerned about your origin than about yourself ie what makes you you. There was this partner in my health class who said the same thing two days ago probably because I have accent. Yes he was Caucasian. But at the end of the day, I put it under same set as asking a woman his age or a guy how much he makes. The same reason aforementioned is sensitive, the origin question may not be seem so naive if that is the VERY FIRST thing one shoots out.

Yeah I mean after couple of beers it's okay. But as an intro question sometimes it shows an upper-handedness or dominance or sort of superiority. Philosophically speaking in isolation: where are you from is as random as what is your blood group type....

Isnaad
July 10, 2011, 07:07 AM

I agree with you bro. But still it is true that most people in the USA do think that we Bangladeshis are totally backdated! Its undeniable! And I blame the Western Media for it! Once in BBC, I saw a reporter standing in front of a slum and representing it as the Dhaka City! If we, went to New York (Suppose) and showed one of the worst areas of New York to represent the whole city, how would the ppl living in New York feel? I, being extremely patriotic, can't accept this kind of 'insults'. Yes, these are direct insults. Anyways, this is actually my personal feeling.

Regarding people in the USA, yes there are some wonderful people there as well beyond doubt..! But I so wished I could say 'many' instead of 'some' in this case. Unfortunately, my experiences don't give me the courage to say 'many'.

Nafi
July 10, 2011, 08:50 AM
I es he was Caucasian. But at the end of the day,

Hello??? arent you caucasian too, like most other Bangladeshi people.

Caucasian =/= white

Caucasian people are the people originally from Europe, North Africa, Central Asia, Middle East and South Asia, who lack sino/oriental features of narrow eyes, and negroid features, which make them distinct from the two other major races; Negroid and Mongoloid.

If you are talking about white people, call them white, or call them European.

There was this partner in my health class who said the same thing two days ago probably because I have accent. But at the end of the day, I put it under same set as asking a woman his age or a guy how much he makes. The same reason aforementioned is sensitive, the origin question may not be seem so naive if that is the VERY FIRST thing one shoots out.

Yeah I mean after couple of beers it's okay. But as an intro question sometimes it shows an upper-handedness or dominance or sort of superiority. Philosophically speaking in isolation: where are you from is as random as what is your blood group type....

I always American people which state they are from, as a very early ice breaking conversation, after detecting their accent, its called trying to understand people, you understand them much better. Its usually always the first thing I (most people) ask, he is not even asking you because of the colour of your skin, but because of your accent (a non-physical feature) How could you be offended by this, its ridiculous, and just sounds like you have a inferiority complex/insecurity. I would say the problem isnt the 'white' people, the problem is you.

akabir77
July 10, 2011, 10:57 AM
If he felt threatened, then you were not careful enough. You are the one with 5000 lbs of matter going at a speed of 30+ mph - could have killed his kids. I think you deserved that bit of the comment. Just my opinion. I don't think he was being racist... and yes you should be sorry. The problem is it is not a crime until you hit someone...but when it is a crime...tough luck for the victim.

There is an irony in your last sentence. I bet the guy is thinking, that you would think twice before not giving the way for a pedestrian after this incidence. In the end, neither of you learned anything.

He felt threatened cause it was a colored person driving. and how do you know i was driving 5k lbs car in 30+ mph? i was in the parking lot? please don't just imagine stuff just because u want me to be at fault. u weren't there so u don't know what happen? the kid was not even on the divider and i was going under 10.
beside what my careless has to do with all foreign people needs to be banned? If you don't see that as a racist may be u r one too.

layperson
July 10, 2011, 02:03 PM
I mentioned it in some thread (i think smbl or what's on your mind...) where I said I find it offensive. It all depends upon the INTENT of the questioner. If his intent is to rub some salt on your wounded ego then yeah it begs the question why is he is so concerned about your origin than about yourself ie what makes you you. There was this partner in my health class who said the same thing two days ago probably because I have accent. Yes he was Caucasian. But at the end of the day, I put it under same set as asking a woman his age or a guy how much he makes. The same reason aforementioned is sensitive, the origin question may not be seem so naive if that is the VERY FIRST thing one shoots out.

Agreed 100% on the intent issue.

AsifTheManRahman
July 10, 2011, 10:06 PM
I personally haven't faced any racism in my close to 8 years in Canada. I've traveled a bit/lived in the USA and haven't seen any of it there either.

Zeeshan
July 10, 2011, 10:09 PM
Is calling Habib Habib racist? Quinean?

wiseshah
July 11, 2011, 12:34 AM
nice and interesting thread.i liked mohammedc bhai's story. i vote 10/10. zeeshan bhai--where is the location of ur story. the first one

patriot
July 11, 2011, 03:20 AM
I live in an area where every Asian guy is thought to be a Pakistani . For most , Indians and Bangladeshis are 'big cities' in Pakistan. A few years back Glasgow Airport was bombed by terrorist. The hatred for Desis doubled. Kill all Pakis was sprayed on most walls. Atleast once every day I used to be called a 'Paki' . Terrible time and place to be if you are an Asian.

Once I was on my way to the uni , and a bunch of junkies stop and inquire number of bombs I have in my bag. I replied 'just enough to bomb your house and your boyfriends too . Luckily it was a public area and I was safe from any attacks. The situation is much better now though.

Tiger Manc
July 11, 2011, 10:09 AM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AFfQiXLOON0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

English Defence league are a racist organisation and are extremely islamophobic, check out the video to hear some of their eye opening members

WARNING: May leave you in stitches

lol that was hilarious

Beamer
July 11, 2011, 10:36 AM
Never had any encounter. So, can't make up one. Maybe one harmless funny story I have, and it could have been racist in nature, but humor triumphs all. This is how it goes. Around five-six years ago, I was heading to a res/lounge for dinner on Sat night with my lovely companion. It gets very busy on weekends. Parking around that area is impossible and you have to valet your car. We got out of the car and gave the key to a valet attendant. A few yards away in front of the restaurant steps, a lot of people were waiting to get their car back from the valet guys. It was packed, late, and lot of people were waiting for their cars. As we were walking to enter the establishment, an older white couple ( guessing 65-70 yrs old ) were waiting outside to hand their valet tkt to the attendants who were very busy running around. I guess they were done with their dinner and ready to go home, early bird style, and as soon as he saw me, he almost raced up to me and handed me his tkt. " Its a Blue Jaguar ", said the old man. Other people standing nearby knew it right away that the old man made a huge mistake and they were laughing politely. I said, " Yes sir, be back in a jiffy", took his key,turned around, and acted as if I was going to fetch his car. Obviously, my companion stopped the whole drama and told the old couple that I was not a valet guy. He turned purple, thoroughly embarrassed, his wife angry at him and commanded " Please, apologize to the young man ! I saw the valet guy coming and gave him the old man's tkt and told him to fetch it ASAP. I was just laughing and he grabbed my hand with two hands and said " Sorry " looking straight in my eyes. It was dark, he was older, and after scanning the valet guys, I realized most of them were either Mexicans or darker skinned Latinos or Black guys...

Funny honest racism story ??? I thought Not.

AsifTheManRahman
July 11, 2011, 03:14 PM
Didn't you get called "Sanchez" selling hot dogs once?

bujhee kom
July 11, 2011, 03:54 PM
In my neighbourhood predominantly Dominican, Ruerto Rican, Latinas, I often get called, dirty sanchez, pookie, papasito etc.!

samircreep
July 12, 2011, 07:34 AM
A couple of years ago, my friend from Kenya came to visit me in Dhaka and we went to Eastern Plaza to buy some bootlegs. A couple of shopkeepers stared at him and started saying dekh dekh, negro. Dekte shala pura bandor er moton. It was really embarrassing.

When my parents found out that my ol' college roomate was black, they went ballistic. He's gonna kill you in your sleep. He'll try to sell drugs to you. He might have aids, dont stay close to him. Sometimes, when they would call and he would pick up, they would talk to him, just stay silent on the other side. Again, very embarrassing.

Again, once I was walking with a Koran colleague of mine in Gulshan park. She was walking her dog. A couple of guys came over and started shouting dekh dekh korea korea, ei shalara kutta khai. At first she didnt understand, but then the guys made sure she did. I wish the ground would open up and swallow me.....

Beamer
July 12, 2011, 09:10 AM
Didn't you get called "Sanchez" selling hot dogs once?

he he..good memory u have.

Beamer
July 12, 2011, 09:11 AM
A couple of years ago, my friend from Kenya came to visit me in Dhaka and we went to Eastern Plaza to buy some bootlegs. A couple of shopkeepers stared at him and started saying dekh dekh, negro. Dekte shala pura bandor er moton. It was really embarrassing.

When my parents found out that my ol' college roomate was black, they went ballistic. He's gonna kill you in your sleep. He'll try to sell drugs to you. He might have aids, dont stay close to him. Sometimes, when they would call and he would pick up, they would talk to him, just stay silent on the other side. Again, very embarrassing.

Again, once I was walking with a Koran colleague of mine in Gulshan park. She was walking her dog. A couple of guys came over and started shouting dekh dekh korea korea, ei shalara kutta khai. At first she didnt understand, but then the guys made sure she did. I wish the ground would open up and swallow me.....

Sad. I remember the African players playing in Dhaka league were taunted as well.

samircreep
July 12, 2011, 10:42 AM
The saddest part about Bangladeshi racism is that it's so ingrained in our society that no one thinks its a problem. I mean in the 'west', if you call someone a racist, it would be a very big deal, probably one of the worst galis. Here, if people even understand what racism is, they'd just shrug their shoulders and move on....

Banglaguy
July 12, 2011, 10:46 AM
I was once called a paki... By a paki.

roman
July 12, 2011, 10:54 AM
^ in Bangladesh many people dont even know what racism really is (they heard that term but dont know how severe it an be..it is just like marrying a cousing over here in USA is disturbing but in BD its perfectly normal). They see a white man and they start to call him shada/lal bandor. They see a dark man they call him blackie, kailla all sorts of things. They do it for fun, they think its perfectly ok even though its not. Its just the way BD people think. And There is obviously no hatred involved..

samircreep
July 12, 2011, 11:02 AM
Roman, we live in a country where the govt said 'there are no indigenous people.' Can it get more 'dangerous' than that?

Zunaid
July 12, 2011, 11:04 AM
^ in Bangladesh many people dont even know what racism really is (they heard that term but dont know how severe it an be..it is just like marrying a cousing over here in USA is disturbing but in BD its perfectly normal). They see a white man and they start to call him shada/lal bandor. They see a dark man they call him blackie, kailla all sorts of things. They do it for fun, they think its perfectly ok even though its not. Its just the way BD people think. And There is obviously no hatred involved..

Agree mostly except that last bit.

If not hatred, there is at minimum disdain. And it is derogatory and prejudicial all the same.

roman
July 12, 2011, 11:12 AM
Agree mostly except that last bit.

If not hatred, there is at minimum disdain. And it is derogatory and prejudicial all the same.

true but what can you expect from a nation whose literacy rate is so low?

Isnaad
July 12, 2011, 11:23 AM
Shotti kotha bolte, amader desher manush racism shomporke 'jeneo jaanena'. Taara general sense e jaane je eta kharap, but jokhon babohaar kore, tokhon oi 'kharap' er kotha bhuley jaay...tokhon mathar moddhe ghurey 'just for fun'. And 'negro' shobdo ta Bangladesher manush mone kore 'shabhabik'...ami shobar kotha bolchhi naa. Krishnango lok dekhlei eta babohaar korey 'obujhh mone'.....Bangladeshi people need to be taught what "Racism" actually is.

roman
July 12, 2011, 11:35 AM
^ arey vai Bangladesh er manush ra (maximum) janei na je negro ekta gali..Negro ta ekta general word mone kore..Desh theke notun keu ashlei bole ei area te negro nai to? ami prothom prothom onek ke bojhatam. Ekhon I just got tired of it..

RazabQ
July 12, 2011, 04:12 PM
Having attended a historically black college for undergrad, deep in the bible-belt, I have racism stories galore ...

In most cases ignorance breeds the racism. In our cases, our flagellation for all things "white" stem from the conquest of darker Dravidians by the lighter skinned Aryans and then the 200 odd years of British rule.

Banglaguy
July 12, 2011, 04:19 PM
My uncle used to always tell me that Khala people were black becuase they were Khasra and never washed :D

shaad
July 12, 2011, 05:05 PM
Well, I haven't experienced any racism myself in the US; but then I've generally lived in academic environments.

About 25-30 years ago there used to be some subtle prejudice about East Asian looks in Dhaka (probably stemming from some folks' biases against some of our tribal/aboriginal nationals). Girls with East Asian features were not considered pretty by many people then, and I am sorry to admit, I saw several of my friends espousing this same prejudice. Of course, that was when we were in Dhaka.

Most of us eventually ended up going to the States, where these same friends found themselves immersed in American cultural conditioning, one which tends to fetishize women with East Asian features. And now, 8 out of 10 of these friends are married to Asian American ladies.

Beamer
July 13, 2011, 12:28 PM
Your friends are wise my friend !!!

Equinox
July 13, 2011, 01:13 PM
With regards to racism in Bangladesh, I agree with roman that mostly there is no hatred involved. It is a case of illiteracy and "just having fun" because the other person does not understand the language. I too have seen instances of staring and snickering in markets at the sight of a foreign person but when approached directly by the person themself there is co-operation and smiling from the other end. I used to attend this community thing over here at London where I had a black mentor. He was a footballer and had a trial with Chelsea. He told me of the time he visited Bangladesh to play there and he said despite the staring he had a great time in the country and found the people very friendly and helpful. And that is my view too. The ignorant comments and staring is because they don't know any better but I refuse to accept that there is any malice involved. In general Bangladeshis are very friendly when it comes to foreigners.

As for my own personal experience I've had two very minor incidents in the UK. England had just beaten Paraguay in the World Cup in 2006 and we were walking down the street when this drunk guy started singing "I hope you're not from Paraguay..." despite my brother wearing an England shirt. And the other one is pretty lame a couple of yobs shouted "paki" while driving past us.

simon
July 13, 2011, 02:20 PM
^ arey vai Bangladesh er manush ra (maximum) janei na je negro ekta gali..Negro ta ekta general word mone kore..Desh theke notun keu ashlei bole ei area te negro nai to? ami prothom prothom onek ke bojhatam. Ekhon I just got tired of it..

Spanish people won't consider it as a gaali though. ;)

lamisa
July 14, 2011, 10:35 AM
i lived in australia for over a year but never had to face racism. but there was a lot of racism against indians.

deshimon
July 14, 2011, 11:59 AM
Here because of service rule every body says he isn't a racist but mentaly almost every one......

samircreep
July 15, 2011, 08:33 AM
My mom said she would die before seeing me marry a 'negro' woman (or korean, chinese or japanese, but shadas are ok)
Skin whitening creams sell more every year. The ads for these are downright insulting for women, pretty much racist
Marriage requests are obsessed with forsha grooms and brides
The parliament just passed a ruling saying 'there are no indigenous people in Bangladesh'
etc

So you're saying none of these have any degree of malice in them? Naive indeed

banfan2
July 15, 2011, 08:47 AM
one of my close friends got beaten very badly last night by a white gang:( he was coming home from work and he is the most innocent and simplest among us :(

BASSMAN
July 15, 2011, 02:34 PM
Paki flat mate: why did you leave us brothers in 1971 you could have been better off with us
Me: why did you leave big brother India you could have been better off with them

simon
July 15, 2011, 03:11 PM
one of my close friends got beaten very badly last night by a white gang:( he was coming home from work and he is the most innocent and simplest among us :(

very sad to hear that,may Allah keeps everyone safe .

roman
July 15, 2011, 03:14 PM
so sad to hear this.

Banglaguy
July 15, 2011, 04:26 PM

May Allah help him.

bujhee kom
July 15, 2011, 10:44 PM
I very much agree with Samircreep bhai.

I am so sorry to hear the very bad news about your friend banfan2 bro! All my prayers are with him, May Allah give us strength. Allah's blessing be with him and you and all.

Night_wolf
July 15, 2011, 11:05 PM
Paki flat mate: why did you leave us brothers in 1971 you could have been better off with us
Me: why did you leave big brother India you could have been better off with them

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

shaad
July 16, 2011, 10:20 AM

Cute. :)

But do tell your charming flat mate that we wouldn't have left if their racist streak hadn't (i) led them to exploit our resources, (ii) try to force their language on us, and (iii) precluded them from allowing us to govern when we won the elections fair and square.

Tell him also that if he feels that bad about the separation, he and his buddies can always apply to become West Bangladesh... although why we would want to add on what is effectively a failed state whose national identity seems to be based solely on proclaiming that they are not India, is beyond me.

Equinox
July 16, 2011, 11:09 AM
My mom said she would die before seeing me marry a 'negro' woman (or korean, chinese or japanese, but shadas are ok)
Skin whitening creams sell more every year. The ads for these are downright insulting for women, pretty much racist
Marriage requests are obsessed with forsha grooms and brides
The parliament just passed a ruling saying 'there are no indigenous people in Bangladesh'
etc

So you're saying none of these have any degree of malice in them? Naive indeed
Prejudice exists in every society/culture. No need to single out Bangladesh in this regard.

BanCricFan
July 16, 2011, 11:59 AM
Well, I haven't experienced any racism myself in the US; but then I've generally lived in academic environments.

Then are we to conclude that academic environments are racism-proof?

Fortunately, I have never experienced any overt racism in my life anywhere in the countries I have lived. But, I do believe it exists...in some places it is, infact, institutional. "Racism" from people of low/under-previlliged socio-economic background never bothered me. Infact, I have always been sympathetic towards their social plight.

BanCricFan
July 16, 2011, 12:40 PM
One "funny" incident I couls share though. A few years ago I went to a Jazz concert in Denmark. After the first set when there was a break this mixed-raced girl came upto me and confessed she was a bit worried until she saw me "dancing" to the rhythm. Needless to say, I was wearing a muslamic beard (and quite long, Zee) and wasn't drinking. I suppose the poor girl had some "good reasons" to be in discomfort.

I just reminded her with a stern face that there were still two more sets to follow and we had a bus to catch to the town.:-|

shaad
July 16, 2011, 01:05 PM

Then are we to conclude that academic environments are racism-proof?

Did I say that, BCF? Do try not to put words into my mouth, will you? People are generally much more circumspect about what they say and how they act in academic environments, largely because of how such remarks and behaviour could be used against them subsequently.

That's not to suggest that subtle racism might not exist there. However, racist perspectives don't occur in a vacuum. They can only be promulgated by having one's peers and superiors air their prejudices. I think, in general, the academic community does a fairly decent job of stifling racist comments, thus preventing it from spreading, and I think that's something to be appreciated.

I am quite sympathetic to the social plight of the economically downtrodden too. And I definitely agree that there are many instances in which they have been unfairly treated by the more privileged classes. However, that does not excuse racism, either on their part, or on that of the privileged classes.

BanCricFan
July 17, 2011, 08:23 AM
Sorry, bro. Suppose, I was trying to provoke a clarification. And thanks for providing one... makes better sense now.

And, of course, no form of racism can be condoned or excused. What I have opined should only be interpreted in its context.

rashed411
July 17, 2011, 09:39 AM
One time this peurtorican chick was like where are you from?
Me: i am from Bangladesh.
She: what part if Puertorico
Is that?
Me: its not part of Puertorico...its a country in Asia
She: oops sry
Me: its ok i get that a lot
Many time people startrd to talk to me in spanish when i was younger.
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

shaad
July 17, 2011, 10:34 AM
BCF: No problem.

rashed411: We do seem to get mistaken for members of the Latino/Hispanic community often. Back when I was in graduate school, I lived for a while in East Palo Alto before it became gentrified. I often had my neighbours firing off rapid bursts of Spanish at me. After telling them "No habla Espanol," they'd switch to English. Sadly, most of the time their questions were along the lines of: "The police, have they left?" :)

AsifTheManRahman
July 17, 2011, 11:39 PM
I too have had people walk up to me and start blurting out Spanish sentences on a few occasions in different parts of the USA.

bujhee kom
July 18, 2011, 03:01 AM
Bhais let me tell you, everyday big chested blonde ladies/babes with totally awesome come up to me me and goes crazy over my super chiseled, sun-tanned-Afrikan King tyron black body and hammers and tools and goes, "Ohh baibey!" and it really hurts me that they never look into the inside of me as the sweet emotional sensetive intelligent man I am....I am not just a piece of dark meat....just because I am black and have a super fine sculpted body.

roman
July 18, 2011, 09:07 AM
My boss calls me Papi Chulo :(

Isnaad
July 18, 2011, 09:30 AM
I too have had people walk up to me and start blurting out Spanish sentences on a few occasions in different parts of the USA.

Me too...:/

Zeeshan
July 18, 2011, 02:32 PM
Due to the super popularity of this thread, we are planning to come up with the Part II and III of the series:

1. your hilarious break-in/robbery encounters?
2. your laugh-out-loud stabbing encounters?

RazabQ
July 18, 2011, 07:50 PM
1. your hilarious break-in/robbery encounters?
2. your laugh-out-loud stabbing encounters?I have a feeling no one would be able to top this:
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/02/03/article-0-081FEDCE000005DC-658_468x454.jpg

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1248155/The-mugging-victim-inch-knife--didnt-notice.html
An extraordinary picture that has gone around the world of a knife plunged into the back of a woman mugging victim is genuine, it was revealed by doctors in Moscow tonight.

Julia Popova, 22, was stabbed by a mugger as she walked home from work one day last autumn - but she was so traumatised by the attack that she walked home without realising the knife was embedded in her, just a fraction of an inch from her spinal cord.

bujhee kom
July 18, 2011, 09:03 PM
Ooohhh Razab da ...Ohhh ami tow faint hoe zacchi....

lamisa
July 19, 2011, 09:58 AM
Due to the super popularity of this thread, we are planning to come up with the Part II and III of the series:

1. your hilarious break-in/robbery encounters?2. your laugh-out-loud stabbing encounters?

my house got robbed once while i was in it. now that i look back, it's funny because one of those dacoits was holding a gun at my head but i still wnet on and on talking. bechara, etto frustrated hoye gesilo!

Beamer
July 19, 2011, 10:01 AM
Now we need random white guys on the board ( if there are any ) to come with reverse racism stories. If you have been called a redneck, cracker, hillbilly, white devil etc..please stand up white guy/gal, and be counted.

Naimul_Hd
November 28, 2011, 07:09 PM
Sorry to bump.

18+ only. It contains coarse language.

I could not find any other threads than this to share this outrageous video captured on a tram in UK. Its not funny though, apology.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wzJMPlMrUQA?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="360" width="640"></object>

Zeeshan
November 28, 2011, 07:14 PM
I didn't even finish it. Do you know WHO is to partially blame? The bus driver. Here in US we had a racist guy threatening someone and the driver was smart enough to subtly call the cops at the next stop. Solve it rationally...

Naimul_Hd
November 28, 2011, 07:23 PM
I dont know about UK, but here in Aus, if you make any racist comment in public that offends any ethnic, you can be arrested too under Racial Discrimination Act 1975. Having said that, Australia is ranked among the top being a racist country.

AsifTheManRahman
November 28, 2011, 08:03 PM
That's bizarre, the video from the tram I mean.

Zunaid
November 28, 2011, 08:11 PM
I wish they spoke 'English'; I could barely unnerstand anyfing in the video.

AsifTheManRahman
November 28, 2011, 08:12 PM
I haven't encountered any act of racism in the US (border security incidents notwithstanding) or Canada. My visits to Europe have been short, but I've found it remarkable how an almost monoracial population can be so tolerant and devoid of prejudice.

I've seen racism aplenty in Africa and Asia though.

AsifTheManRahman
November 28, 2011, 08:18 PM
Now we need random white guys on the board ( if there are any ) to come with reverse racism stories. If you have been called a redneck, cracker, hillbilly, white devil etc..please stand up white guy/gal, and be counted.
The father of my s/o is a redneck. When he cracks brown jokes at me, I get back at him by cracking white jokes at my s/o when he's not around. :P

He and I get along pretty well albeit his negative past experiences with Bangladeshis.

ammark
November 28, 2011, 08:34 PM
I havent faced racism in Canada ever! Nor in the US for the times that I've been there! Here in Aus, I have only once heard racist remarks about me being spoken to another third person (in a tram too!). The guys were young English white twenty-somethings. But I took quite a bit of guilty pleasure at their irritation over my(our) presence.

Re: what Naimul said, Australians officially, and for PC reasons do decry racism. But, the problem is that their threshold for what is offensive and unacceptable is quite loose. They will find it acceptable to cuss and swear, and use epithets liberally without finding it offensive. As a Canadian I find a lot of that casual usage/stereoptyping quite offensive, just that Australians themselves do not consider those things offensive or racist, and will often times colour such speech as "sense of humour"/"having a laugh".

I also feel that the average bloke in the Aussie streets are just not as aware or are ignorant of these nuances, as compared to say an average person in North America (because of North America's own cultural evolution as a melting pot society and the civil rights movement). Its therefore acceptable for Aussies to speak casually about "curry","lebs","wogs",etc and their customs without considering themselves to be racist. This is exhibited very popularly and commonly by the words and actions of the politicians, celebrities and media... and for me it was amusing at first and then became incredulously shallow when I come across such tripe on the media day in and day out.

Consider this ad: http://youtu.be/FftZt-Dw_hQ and see the comments. From an Aussie pov, the criticism it received as being racist is taken to be as 'lost in translation'. Which I can agree with as a cricket fan!

AsifTheManRahman
November 28, 2011, 08:42 PM
Consider this ad: http://youtu.be/FftZt-Dw_hQ and see the comments. From an Aussie pov, the criticism it received as being racist is taken to be as 'lost in translation'. Which I can agree with as a cricket fan!
Holy, that's one racist ad! Lol.

The racist word that they have for Pakistanis in the UK is quite loosely used by Pakistanis themselves here in Canada, as you probably already know. Not that I'll hesitate to use the ban hammer if I see it in the forums, but I understand what you mean by things getting lost in translation.

Zunaid
November 28, 2011, 08:45 PM
The father of my s/o is a redneck. When he cracks brown jokes at me, I get back at him by cracking white jokes at my s/o when he's not around. :P

He and I get along pretty well albeit his negative past experiences with Bangladeshis.

Like Asif and so many others here - I have never encountered racism in the US. My in-laws are from the redneck capital of the USA - East Texas; I've never experienced anything but warmest hospitality from the layfolks all over town. No surly glances, no sneer at such a blatantand overt exhibition of 'miscegeny'. And mind you, these folks in town are as big as they get. My FIL, for example, is 6' 4" and 250lbs. I am 5' 6" and ***.

The one time I experienced racism was in Bangladesh. This was at Mirpur Zoo in the mid 70s and there was this white group who were visitinhg the zoo (yes, the zoo was still visitable at that time) and they were being followed by a group yelling comments like 'lal bandor' and other pejorative epithets.

Zeeshan
November 28, 2011, 08:50 PM
EGAD....this thread is getting too serious. On topic fellas....on topic! FUNNY encounters..

I will go:

For my robotics class we had to exhibit to third graders so we went to this school. So after getting there first they hand me an envelope for itinerary. After I come to the gym my friends point out the name says: Kumar.

Poor superintendent unintended mistakenly assumed I must be Kumar seeing the only Indian name there. SMBL (i know strictly it's not racism but falls more under the genera of smbl perhaps?)

Navo
November 28, 2011, 09:01 PM
^ That's quite interesting. When my family moved to New York City in 2000, our reception at JFK included a surly, aggressive Caucasian lady shouting "Go back to where you came from!"

The only other time I noticed any racism/racial prejudice while in NY, was for a while immediately post-9/11, when there was a call by some people in our neighborhood (Roosevelt Island) to destroy the local Turkish pizza place :S

For the past 3+ years in the UK, I've faced overt racism only a couple of times - and even that was usually coupled with a bizarre rant about students.

Navo
November 28, 2011, 09:08 PM
EGAD....this thread is getting too serious. On topic fellas....on topic! FUNNY encounters..

I will go:

For my robotics class we had to exhibit to third graders so we went to this school. So after getting there first they hand me an envelope for itinerary. After I come to the gym my friends point out the name says: Kumar.

Poor superintendent unintended mistakenly assumed I must be Kumar seeing the only Indian name there. SMBL (i know strictly it's not racism but falls more under the genera of smbl perhaps?)

Sometime ago, I was having a conversation with two Italian friends. One surreptitiously turned to the other and said, I've just realized that I can say [insert 'n' word] now. The other, mildly shocked, said why?! He replied by gesturing towards me and saying, I thought you were allowed to use it if you had a black friend?

m
November 29, 2011, 06:07 PM
I got a fresh anecdote up my sleeve, which I am not sure whether qualifies for any of the modifiers "funny" or "racism". But this may go to show how we sometimes blur the line between lexicon and linguistic pragmatism.

This Thanksgiving weekend, on the way to Houston from Dallas, I kinda lost my way and got into the driveway of a restaurant to find someone to ask for directions. The restaurant had already been closed, but a couple of "African Americans" were doing some garden works, or that's how it looked like. I could see them gathering broken branches and that kind of stuff, but that's besides the point. I asked them for a certain highway, they gave me directions and I left.

Later into the weekend, from out of nowhere, my seven year old told me that she had thought the two guys, who gave us the directions, to be African, and that she had thought we were in Africa. Of course, my know-it-all eleven year old didn't miss this chance to crack a joke upon her sister, along with a nerve crunching and morale crushing cackle (a la Bujhee Kom). But I realized that my "pragmatized" ear pricked for a moment at her use of the word "African", until when I traced a sense adventure in her tone for being in the Africa. Don't we read too much into "words" sometimes?

NoName
November 29, 2011, 08:12 PM
Luckily I've never had to experience racism that much, so I'm fortunate. As a kid living in an all white neighborhood in Dallas, never to had to experience that crap. Although when we moved to Canada, while I was in grade4, we lived in a Jewish neighborhood for about a year, and geez was that a terrible year for me being one of the few Muslims in that school. I was the ONLY one in my class, and during the elementary years you usually only make friends within the classroom or you're a loner. I was a loner, and the kids all stayed away from, during recess I'd find a small group of brown kids playing soccer and would go join them. Then we moved, and now live in multicultural suburban area, pretty much everyone in my school from elementary throughout highschool did fine, except for the 'beefs' kids would have but no racist bs. Though we would tease each other for fun, or some kid calling someone the n-word as a jest.

Zeeshan
November 29, 2011, 09:55 PM
Luckily I've never had to experience racism that much, so I'm fortunate. As a kid living in an all white neighborhood in Dallas, never to had to experience that crap. Although when we moved to Canada, while I was in grade4, we lived in a Jewish neighborhood for about a year, and geez was that a terrible year for me being one of the few Muslims in that school. I was the ONLY one in my class, and during the elementary years you usually only make friends within the classroom or you're a loner. I was a loner, and the kids all stayed away from, during recess I'd find a small group of brown kids playing soccer and would go join them. Then we moved, and now live in multicultural suburban area, pretty much everyone in my school from elementary throughout highschool did fine, except for the 'beefs' kids would have but no racist bs. Though we would tease each other for fun, or some kid calling someone the n-word as a jest.

Don't we all know someone like that? :up:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XURRzofbMc0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NoName
November 29, 2011, 11:50 PM
Although obviously teachers shouldn't be using that word at all to students, he did make a good point. Recently, maybe few months back, was reading a debate regarding the nature of the word and how it has evolved to uses more than just an insult but a mere slang word used between black people. Now, there are no laws on words that can be used solely by a specific ethnicity, but if blacks can use that word with each other, why is it so insulting if someone other than them say it, and not even an insulting way. You have non-blacks that rap using the n-word, but there isn't an uproar when it comes to them. Its like the word 'gay', once used to insult gay people, now people just use it to call someone being 'retarded', 'stupid', or someone doing something uncomfortable.

Equinox
November 30, 2011, 07:11 AM
Don't we all know someone like that? :up:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XURRzofbMc0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Haha I loved how this story was mocked in The Boondocks:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gLZA32oHbC4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Equinox
November 30, 2011, 07:27 AM
Never got the deal with the n-word in the US. Here in the UK it's not much of an issue but then again black people don't call each other "n-words" here in the first place.

Purbasha T
November 30, 2011, 05:35 PM
Uh oh!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kHwDC7vjXM8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

simon
November 30, 2011, 05:46 PM
the French people are very humble,
ulta kalo ar arob ra eder jalaya marey :floor:
jodio bhetor bhetor kagoje kolom e forashi ra amader ke kom beshi shayesta kore dey ;)