PDA

View Full Version : The Mentality Of our cricketers

Shafi
February 23, 2004, 08:30 AM
After another test defeat in simillar style against zimbabwe gives me some thaught after viewing our display of throwing wickets.
Our batsman were doing fine in the first innings but look at the scores man:
44,48,49,98 three were out in the late forties and one is in the late ninetys.
Again in the second innings Rajin was stumped on 47. Thanks to Pilot for his fine knock and at least he has got a fifty!!!

Look at zimbabwe innings 6 batsman got 50s in the first innings. The main difference between them and us is the lack of confidence of batsmen. They scored as many as they can after they are settled. But what we've done after being set?? We just throw it away thinking of our personal achievements.

Just think of the fine innings of Ash and think of it's end. How bravely he was fighting against them!! and how poor was the dismissal !! Truely demorallizing.

Again the dismissal of Rajin in the second innings when he was at 47. He just threw his wicket while trying to play an ambitious shot to score fifty quickly and remove the pressure on him.

Don't know what our cricket heads are thinking about But I think we have to improve on this.

Please do comment on it.

Shafi

Hasib
February 23, 2004, 08:35 AM
SOmeone should tell them that in test matches it doesn't matter how long it takes to get runs, as long as you survive.

oracle
February 23, 2004, 08:46 AM
Our batsman were doing fine in the first innings but look at the scores man:

Fix the mentality and technique of the openers and the rest will fall in place

Zimbabwe has also tasted top order collapses. Also greater teams have fallen victim to hatricks. What really bothers me is that our toporder snapped so easily. Hannan and Bashar, being relatively experienced and as our main top order holds reponsibility for the collapse. However, you are right. Masud did his job and you can't expect him to carry that burden.

[Edited on 23-2-2004 by oracle]

Navarene
February 23, 2004, 08:49 AM
Throwing away wicket in the middle when a batsman is all set is the sole problem of our batters. When will they learn to cement themselves in the crease and play a long innings? I don't know. I am frustrated.

Tintin
February 23, 2004, 09:38 AM
What I have to say is the same thing. Saturday was probably the first time I watched a Bangladesh game for a whole day.

The batsmen never looked like they wanted to play a long innings. Sahariar was playing cautiously for a while, but once he got a few balls in the middle of the bat he became careless. When he was lbw playing across the line, his bat was some three or four inches away from the line of the ball. Maybe he expected the ball to move away. But if he had received the same ball fifteen minutes before he did, he would probably have played it back down the wicket. A few fours in between made him lose his senses completely.

It was just the same with Rajin and Ashraful. There was this sequence when Ashraful was in the mid-thirties. Ervine I think it was, bowled a sharp bouncer to which Ashraful went back and played it down perfectly. Next one was pitched up and he drove it straight for four. All very fine till now. The next was a good length ball on the off stump. As if in the hangover of playing the previous two balls, Ashraful played a wild cross batted shot and was hit on the pad. He would have been out if the ball was not too high.

This is the sort of innings that every batsman played. There is nothing nervous in the 40s that these guys are scoring. It is just that when they reach 35 or so, they begin to feel comfortable that they have done enough for the test and throw their wicket away. I don't know if Whatmore or anyone could cure such craziness.

The Zim bowling was very ordinary when Streak was away. If they can't do it against them, they will never ever win a test.

sage
February 23, 2004, 10:00 AM
Bangladesh batting style might be not up for winning! But BD batting style is fun to watch. They go for run quickly. Some might say it is bad. Mohammed Ashraful's 98, Shahriar hossain 48, and Razin saleh 49 was quick and fun to watch in 1st inning. This is typical Australian style batting. No matter what you give to Aussie they will whack it. Steve waugh bat in the same style.
Bangladesh is working to make that batting style work. They are already fun to watch. Now they have to perfect it to get some win! Our younger batsman are getting there. Rajin, Rana, Ashraful they are learning this system well. We need couple of more talent like this.;)

sage
February 23, 2004, 10:05 AM
Tintin this is nice observation that you have. :cool:

[Edited on 23-2-2004 by sage]

rafiq
February 23, 2004, 12:34 PM
Appreciate Tintin's comments, but also found sage's comments interesting - that Bangladesh are fun to watch. Watching a harikiri might be fun but most fans would prefer less fun and more maturity from our players.

They don't treat every ball on its merits otherwise they wouldn't worry about being on 0, 49 or 98. They don't know how to run singles and rotate the strike in either version of the game. They don't know how to protect a new batsman from the strike so he can get time to settle. And of course they make cross batted jharoo shots like I used to in front of the garage.

reinausagi
February 23, 2004, 12:40 PM
cross batted jharoo shots
LOL:D

Beamer
February 23, 2004, 01:23 PM
I think the tendency to shuffle too much among our top order batsmen, hannan in particular, is a thing to worry about. That is a technical aspect and can be adjusted. As long as they keep doing it they will remain susceptable to lbw decisions, fair or unfair. Playing across the line, shot selection, temperament are all old nemesis.

Sami
February 23, 2004, 01:46 PM
Now I have a question... how come after playing cricket for sooooooooo long these batsmen (supposedly the cream of the whole pool) are still lacking in technique...??? Something to think abt, aint it?

[Edited on 23-2-2004 by radicalsami]

akabir77
February 23, 2004, 02:44 PM
What a fight by Pailot..... :cool:

pagol-chagol
February 23, 2004, 02:46 PM
Shonibar bhore dirgho nidra sheshe computer er shommukhe boshitei ami kingkortobbobimurro hoia gelum.

Couple of ideas to push BD team little kids:

1. Nobody should be allowed to take a shot in the first 6 balls he faces. Even if its an easy 4/6. Block it or let it go. Otherwise their match fees would be revoked. Can someone find out what % of our outs are in the first 6 balls? And how does that compare to other teams?

2. Anyone who goes for a jharoo shot on a ball thats not missing the wicket will lose their test eligibility for 1 year. Even if its a 4/6. Jharoo shot is a major asset in BD leagues. They need to make pitches that make it hard to reward this practice.

Also, those of you who didn't sleep friday night for the game. Really SORRY.

Rubu
February 23, 2004, 05:15 PM
i think u19 coach's ice thearapy (modified) can have good effect on our senior team. we can apply it and see if it works.

I'M SURE IT WILL.

here is the modification: instead of 1/2 min this formula should be used. suppose the number of runs a player gets is x.
then each player has to stay in the ice tub (0 celcius) for (100-x) minutes.
so, if someone scores 0, its 100 min (most likely for them until this treatment begins). we'll have immidiate result.