PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft's answer to Google+ and Facebook

nakedzero
July 18, 2011, 03:26 AM
Microsoft is positioning itself to compete for social networking web space, a recent leak suggests.

On Thursday, the computer giant accidentally published a splash page advertising a social project under to the Microsoft-owned domain name socl.com.

The project, entitled Tulilip, promised to let users 'find what you need and share what you know easier than ever'.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/07/16/article-2015585-0D0AD4D800000578-504_634x367.jpg

Leaked: Microsoft mistakenly published a splash page advertising a social project under to the domain name socl.com on Thursday

A screenshot of the prototype design illustrated a green rectangle with the word 'Welcome' above a short description of the social networking service.

The page displayed features allowing users to connect via Facebook and Twitter.There was no mention of Google's newly-launched Google+, however.

It also included non-working links including 'See how it works,' 'Privacy Statement' and 'Terms of Service'.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/07/16/article-2015585-0D0AD50100000578-295_634x312.jpg

Removed: The page was swiftly taken down and replaced by this message apologising for the error

'Thanks for stopping by. Socl.com is an internal design project from a team in Microsoft Research which was mistakenly published to the web. We didn’t mean to, honest,' the replacement message at Socl.com read.

The message was still posted at presstime.

The prototype was initially discovered by a blogger identified as J.B., who wrote about it on the website domain news site Fusible.com.

The Fusible post read: 'The four letter domain socl.com would complement bing.com. Although the site isn't operational, visitors can get an idea of where Microsoft is going with the service called Tulalip.'

The network's name is shared by the name of a group of Native American tribes near Redmond, Washington - home to Microsoft's headquarters.

According to a report from Search Engine Land, a Microsoft spokesperson said socl.com is 'an internal design project from one of Microsoft’s research teams which was mistakenly published to the Web.'

The leak comes just weeks after Google launched its answer to social networking with new website, Google+, structured in a remarkably similar way to Facebook with profile pictures and newsfeeds forming a central core.

The site has fast seen success, amassing an impressive 10million users in under three weeks.

And social networking web space is only becoming increasingly more attractive to technology companies as visitors spend an increasing amount of time on popular sites.

The average U.S. visitor spent a reported 375 minutes of Facebook in May, compared to 231 minutes for Google.

SOURCE (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2015585/Microsoft-apologises-mistakenly-publishing-social-networking-project.html#ixzz1SRXmZRlb)

Alien
July 18, 2011, 04:07 AM
Another lame attempt that will go no where.

This company should focus on its Office Suite, Windows OS and XBox which is what it does best instead of trying to compete in everywhere and everyone become a laughing stock.

Banglaguy
July 18, 2011, 04:33 AM
First of all it is greed. They are seeing the money generated from Facebook, and want a piece of it. But, they are too late, and will have to play catch up to facebook, as will google+.

Alien
July 18, 2011, 08:52 AM
First of all it is greed. They are seeing the money generated from Facebook, and want a piece of it. But, they are too late, and will have to play catch up to facebook, as will google+.

Thats the case. You don't see other giants like Apple running after search engine or social networking. You don't see Oracle trying out video games, every IT giants are focusing on their respective technology expect Microsoft.

Rather than focusing on areas they clearly dominate (OS, Software and XBox), they are making this foolish ventures into Windows Mobile, social networking and search engines.

iDumb
July 18, 2011, 09:14 PM
Thats the case. You don't see other giants like Apple running after search engine or social networking. You don't see Oracle trying out video games, every IT giants are focusing on their respective technology expect Microsoft.

Rather than focusing on areas they clearly dominate (OS, Software and XBox), they are making this foolish ventures into Windows Mobile, social networking and search engines.

Windows mobile isn't foolish. If anything,they SHOULD BE focusing all their software development on mobile devices. Touch pad shouldn't be dominated by apple - it should be dominated by windows.

But I do agree that they should give up on search engine.

Also some people are saying things about Google+ that why they are coming now. I think Google finally got something right. Their forte is advertising and they should be involved in things that generate adviertising revenues. Search is already been dominated. A facebook challenge was needed and though I haven't used google+ yet but it seems to offer something different and maybe better and hence it will be successful. Remember before google search came, it was yahoo that dominated search. Now look what happened to yahoo....

Obviously facebook is not gonna be the next yahoo but google+ will be successful most likely and it's a good thing because now facebook's ipo will not be a verticle line, making it more interesting.

Alien
July 19, 2011, 01:22 AM
Windows mobile isn't foolish. If anything,they SHOULD BE focusing all their software development on mobile devices. Touch pad shouldn't be dominated by apple - it should be dominated by windows.

But I do agree that they should give up on search engine.

Also some people are saying things about Google+ that why they are coming now. I think Google finally got something right. Their forte is advertising and they should be involved in things that generate adviertising revenues. Search is already been dominated. A facebook challenge was needed and though I haven't used google+ yet but it seems to offer something different and maybe better and hence it will be successful. Remember before google search came, it was yahoo that dominated search. Now look what happened to yahoo....

Obviously facebook is not gonna be the next yahoo but google+ will be successful most likely and it's a good thing because now facebook's ipo will not be a verticle line, making it more interesting.

Bhai, mobile market is already saturated. Its very tough battle against iOS and Android. Mind you Windows Mobile was there long before these 2 and despite the long presence they barely have any market share. So its very unlikely anything new they come up with (the new Windows Mobile 6.x) will remotely steal marketshare even after Nokia adapts it. They already have a bad reputation.

I'd say they go as far as Tablets and thats it. Android tablets aren't too popular and they can vie for 2nd spot. And once they make a stronghold in tablet, then venture into mobile phones. Windows 8 looks promising though.

Isnaad
July 19, 2011, 12:02 PM
Off topic: Am I the only one who finds the new facebook chat to be very annoying? :|

banfan2
July 19, 2011, 12:21 PM
Off topic: Am I the only one who finds the new facebook chat to be very annoying? :|

no.

Zeeshan
July 19, 2011, 07:54 PM
No @isnaad.

Nasif
July 19, 2011, 08:13 PM
Facebook is dead. Pretty soon it will be a wasteland.

Its + or whatever MS comes up with.

iDumb
July 19, 2011, 08:35 PM
Bhai, mobile market is already saturated. Its very tough battle against iOS and Android. Mind you Windows Mobile was there long before these 2 and despite the long presence they barely have any market share.

you missed my point. Microsoft is a software company and they should build operating system for mobile devices. That was my point. Windows mobile should be in every single mobile device (phone/tablet etc) - that should have been the goal. Motorola, Nokia should be providing the design and hardware. And that should have been their main focus in my opinion. Anyways, they had their day and they are still HUGE! They are not going anywhere.

iDumb
July 19, 2011, 08:37 PM
Facebook is dead. Pretty soon it will be a wasteland.

Its + or whatever MS comes up with.

Maybe for a subsection of a crowd ie Geek/IT. I don't think you are looking at a bigger picture. I think you are dead wrong. Sure 10 to 20 years from now, your statement maybe true but not in the near future.

Zeeshan
July 19, 2011, 09:30 PM
Agree with Orphy. Facebook is more than a brand name now. FB is stalker's haven. Unless some websites come up with dead hot celebrity rich people's account with their contact ad's and private videos, I don't see mass lemmings shutting down their acct.

Besides when FB slew myspace it's not because it was radically 'new' or anything but because of the unique, -my own photo albummy- personalized feel to it.

Facebook :up:

Zeeshan
July 19, 2011, 09:30 PM
Nasif bhai, perhaps it's time for friends outside BC to make life spicier and realistic?

Zeeshan
July 19, 2011, 11:22 PM
Screw what I said. FB is driving me nuts by actually choosing the friends for me in chat and their suggestions...

Rabz
July 20, 2011, 12:31 AM
^^ Its driving everyone crazy.
Expect the old chat to be back within few days.

And yes, Facebook is Facebook.

Alien
July 20, 2011, 06:13 AM
you missed my point. Microsoft is a software company and they should build operating system for mobile devices. That was my point. Windows mobile should be in every single mobile device (phone/tablet etc) - that should have been the goal. Motorola, Nokia should be providing the design and hardware.

Thats what should have happened but didn't thanks to Apple and/or Google. My point was, Microsoft tried it and failed miserably in the area of mobile computing (whatever it called).

However that doesn't mean they should abandon on it since they already started on it but rather focus on main key products and build on that. For example, start by providing an alternative to iCloud instead of running after and trying to compete with Facebook. Its a step long long overdue. That would massively complement the Windows OS and Office products.

Mind you Microsoft is huge because of its past success not because of anything they dished out in past 5 years (since Office 2007). Vista was a flop. Apple has already bigger than Microsoft (by tiny margin) and half of Apples sales comes from Iphone.

So first thing first is survival. The way things are going, Microsoft won't survive another decade if it doesn't come back with a punch. And thats starts with improving the core products (again OS, Office and Xbox), then improve on Windows Mobile, then work on something that's like iCloud. Personally I think thats the way to go.

Banglaguy
July 20, 2011, 11:10 AM
Facebook is changing to much about it, and it's just making everything feel weird and stuff. The new chat is something that looks like two 5 year old girls designed in some popularity contest or something.

ialbd
July 20, 2011, 01:26 PM
Google+.... 10m users in 2 weeks, smashing all kinds of existing records....

and yea, with this annoying new chat thing it seems fb actually wants its users to try out google+....

Murad
July 20, 2011, 03:20 PM
FB ki abar o update korche naki? Last update to their chat was horrible. Chat er shob message save hoye thake. Abar delete korte o jamela.

FB er eshob updates dekhei deactivate kore diyesilam.

Sovik
July 23, 2011, 05:41 AM
Microsoft got windows 7 windows mobile 7 right this time. They might get their social network right too
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)