PDA

View Full Version : Tajdeed: The Islamic Revival

BanCricFan
July 18, 2011, 06:54 PM
@Alien,

Thanks for that excellent clarification. In essence, what you have pointed out is the very requirement of the Tajdeed or an Islamic 'renewal' that we have already discussed. Action ('amal) pre-supposes knowledge ('ilm) ,hence, "seeking of (religious) knowledge is obligatory upon every believing man and woman" or "seek knowledge even unto China". The Qur'an commands " Ask the people of remembrance (knowledge) if you know not".

Therefore, what we need is the revival of Islamic knowledge and behaviourism. This should be done both at an individual and collective levels. Since, the traditional Islamic educational system has been dismantled centuries ago and replaced by a very poor Madrasah system ( all over muslim lands) it is only normal that we are harvesting very poor crops. To make things even worse these often uninspirational crops are providing the religious "leadership". Just do the maths.

To come out of this quagmire we have to do a few things beside being extremely patience. Firstly, we all individually have to be responsible for our own Islamic education. It should be at the top of our priorities. A good knowledge of Seerah, Arabic language, Tajweed, usul al-fiqh, 'ulum al Qur'an, Hadith, Maqasid al-Shariah, history, Madhab and Four Imams and 'Ilm al-Ihsan (Purification of the soul/self) etc are absolutely indispensable. Seeking out a Shaykh or qualified traditional masters are also our individual responsibility. Secondly, we must collectively revive the traditional Islamic educational system which will promote excellence (not mediocrity) in ALL sciences.

Those of us living in the relatively peaceful and affluent countries better get cracking...right NOW :)

bujhee kom
July 18, 2011, 09:13 PM
Top Thread my dear BCF Akhi! I will come back and add more!

BanCricFan
July 20, 2011, 10:25 AM
Jazak Allah, BB dada. Looking forward to your further addition, insha Allah. I will also add further -Insha Allah- to this subject as this has been close to my heart for a long time. In the meantime, here is something for you which you might find interesting and amusing at the same time :) :

<EMBED height=390 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=640 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/2KQgOmjKXNM?version=3 allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"> (http://<object)"

Banglaguy
July 20, 2011, 10:44 AM
Jazak Allah, BB dada. Looking forward to your further addition, insha Allah. I will also add further -Insha Allah- to this subject as this has been close to my heart for a long time. In the meantime, here is something for you which you might find interesting and amusing at the same time :) :

<EMBED height=390 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=640 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/2KQgOmjKXNM?version=3 allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always"> (http://<object)"

Subhanallah, he has tried to learn more about our religion than arounf 60% of muslims.

bujhee kom
July 20, 2011, 09:39 PM
Akhi I loved the gentleman's recital of Al Fatiha! He has a good voice and very good pronounciation, much much better than mine!

Hold on bro, I will come back with more...

BanCricFan
July 28, 2011, 10:05 AM
The decline of Islamic education and institutions and the serious ramifications it has had on the muslims, non-muslims and society are too many to numerate here. I shall try to discuss a few of the major ones -bi iznillahi ta'ala.

I. As we have already highlighted that the seeking of Islamic knowledge is imperative for every believing muslim man and woman. Allah the Most Wise has posed a rhetorical question in the Book, " Are those who don't know equal to those who know?" According to all the experts of Balaagah an answer is not required. For me the following sign of the Qur'an is most defining. "It is He who has raised up from amongst the unlettered a Messenger of their own, to recite His signs to them and to purify them, and to teach them the Book and the Wisdom, though before that they were in manifest error." (al-Jumu‘a, 62.2). Thus, we may deduce the role of the Prophet as:

a) the one who points out, conveys or relays the knowledge of God to the believers (and mankind).
b) the one who teaches and promotes purification of the soul (self) i.e the science of replacing blameworthy qualities -both inward and outward- with praiseworthy ones which behooves the man. He is the restorer of the noble qualities of man.
c) the one who explains the Book (the Noble Qur'an) and the inherent Hikmah (wisdom) in it. He also teaches and promotes wisdom in whatever way Allah may have taught him.

The absence of the above i.e the knowledge of God, sciences of the self and knowledge and wisdom results -as Allah the Most High has pointed out- in "manifest error" or clear misguidance or ignorance. Are we contemporary muslims in "communion" with Allah and His Messenger? Do we have the knowledge of the Book and Wisdom? Without running the risk of stating the obvious, this once a great nation (Ummah) is gradually(!) heading towards the Days of Ignorance (Jaahiliyyah). Once the torchbearer of Spiriluality, Wisdom, Science, Technology, Art and Civilisation/s are showing all the symptoms of a broken and defeated nation.

The fact that muslims nowadays feel a dire need to introduce them as "progressive" or "reformed" to come across as acceptable or even palatable to others is a bitter testimony to that. Muslim and progressive was never a mutually exclusive proposition or a phenomenon. This also reveals a mindset or a psyche which is experiencing inferiority complex. Therefore, defeated not only economically, scientifically, technologically, militarily, culturally but most importantly psychologically. I would say this is only a natural outcome if we are to understand in light of social sciences as people tend to gravitate towards the dominant culture which -most of the time- doesn't require it to be imposed from the outside. Well, its all good if the dominant culture is good. Otherwise, we are done for!

One of the adverse impacts of the stagnation of traditional Islamic scholarship has been its inability to counter vigorously much of the contested, contagious, problematic or even dubious social theories formulated by the secular/materialist social scientists such as Marx, Weber, Freud et al. The rampant prevalence of secular science coupled with an acute ignorance of Islamic social science and worldview confuses an aspiring intelectual -who happens to be a nominal believer- to no end. A few of them even do away with their faith all together as they find it difficult to reconcile the two. We seek refuge in Allah from this calamity.

Wa Allahu A'lam. To be continued, Insha Allah...

Rifat
July 28, 2011, 10:09 AM
@Alien,

Thanks for that excellent clarification. In essence, what you have pointed out is the very requirement of the Tajdeed or an Islamic 'renewal' that we have already discussed. Action ('amal) pre-supposes knowledge ('ilm) ,hence, "seeking of (religious) knowledge is obligatory upon every believing man and woman" or "seek knowledge even unto China". The Qur'an commands " Ask the people of remembrance (knowledge) if you know not".

Therefore, what we need is the revival of Islamic knowledge and behaviourism. This should be done both at an individual and collective levels. Since, the traditional Islamic educational system has been dismantled centuries ago and replaced by a very poor Madrasah system ( all over muslim lands) it is only normal that we are harvesting very poor crops. To make things even worse these often uninspirational crops are providing the religious "leadership". Just do the maths.

To come out of this quagmire we have to do a few things beside being extremely patience. Firstly, we all individually have to be responsible for our own Islamic education. It should be at the top of our priorities. A good knowledge of Seerah, Arabic language, Tajweed, usul al-fiqh, 'ulum al Qur'an, Hadith, Maqasid al-Shariah, history, Madhab and Four Imams and 'Ilm al-Ihsan (Purification of the soul/self) etc are absolutely indispensable. Seeking out a Shaykh or qualified traditional masters are also our individual responsibility. Secondly, we must collectively revive the traditional Islamic educational system which will promote excellence (not mediocrity) in ALL sciences.

Those of us living in the relatively peaceful and affluent countries better get cracking...right NOW :)

MashAllah Brother you have NAILED IT!

imna
July 28, 2011, 10:58 AM
Firstly, we all individually have to be responsible for our own Islamic education. It should be at the top of our priorities. A good knowledge of Seerah, Arabic language, Tajweed, usul al-fiqh, 'ulum al Qur'an, Hadith, Maqasid al-Shariah, history, Madhab and Four Imams and 'Ilm al-Ihsan (Purification of the soul/self) etc are absolutely indispensable. Seeking out a Shaykh or qualified traditional masters are also our individual responsibility. Secondly, we must collectively revive the traditional Islamic educational system which will promote excellence (not mediocrity) in ALL sciences.

..And become Saudi Arab/ Pakistan esque or some middle eastern country, who clearly has a better access to good knowledge of Arabic language, 'ulum al Qur'an, Hadith, Maqasid al-Shariah, history, Madhab blah blah.:notworthy:

--Of course I would think that you might say they are not good representation of what is ideal since you have so much better understanding than them:applause:

Or are you referring we go back to the Islamic golden/middle ages when Islam was flourishing.:outbad:

BanCricFan
July 28, 2011, 07:01 PM
Rifat,

Jazak Allah, bro. Wa maa tawfiq illa billah!
-------------------------

imna,

I have spent hours if not days contemplating and reflecting upon the subject matter before posting it. But, you have managed to completely demolish my arguments with a few masterful lusty keystroke blows and emoticons. Minimum effort, maximum result. Genius!

kdpp...

imna
July 28, 2011, 10:38 PM
imna,
I have spent hours if not days contemplating and reflecting upon the subject matter before posting it. But, you have managed to completely demolish my arguments with a few masterful lusty keystroke blows and emoticons. Minimum effort, maximum result. Genius!

Thank you for your acknowledgment.:up:

ialbd
July 28, 2011, 11:39 PM
kdpp...

indeed kdpp...

Alchemist
July 29, 2011, 02:04 AM
Great thread BCF bhai. Hope to add something to this thread soon.

bujhee kom
July 29, 2011, 08:43 AM
kdpp...

indeed kdpp...

Yes kdpp... + Pura Jhuna Narikel + Hook Worm (Gura Kreemi) + Oi Beta Geli? + Durey Gia Mor!