PDA

View Full Version : Blignaut blow for Zimbabwe

chinaman
February 23, 2004, 11:27 PM
Zimbabwe fast bowler Andy Blignaut has been ruled out of the second Test against Bangladesh after injuring his thigh muscle.
He took the first Test hat-trick by a Zimbabwean as his team recorded a 183-run victory in the first Test.

"Blignaut has quite a serious problem with his quadricep," said Zimbabwe team manager Babu Memen.

Captain Heath Streak, who did not bowl on the last day in Harare, will be fit for the Test in Bulawayo on Thursday.

Streak said Blignaut's fourth evening hat-trick had turned the match in their favour.

"We needed that to happen because we might otherwise not have been able to remove the Bangladeshis on what was a good batting wicket throughout," he added.

Blignaut himself hailed the three-wicket strike as the highlight of his international career so far.

"I shall remember my hat-trick all my life. I am 25 and I hope I can achieve much more," he said.

Bangladesh were left to reflect on another failure in their attempt to record their first win since being granted Test status by the International Cricket Council in November 2000.

Their defeat capped a miserable first Test as captain for Habibul Bashar, who was out for nought in each innings and faced only five balls in the match.

"We weren't doing too badly in the first three days, but it all went wrong for us after tea on Sunday," he said.

"It was just one of those things but we were never in a winning position after Zimbabwe's first innings."

Source: BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/3513897.stm)

fwullah
February 24, 2004, 03:52 AM
I don't think Blignaut's absence will be felt great deal.

P.S. I'm back, had a computer glitch.