PDA

View Full Version : Gut feelings or Statistical Brain?

Night_wolf
July 21, 2011, 01:52 AM
Who do u follow?,ur brain or heart?,Brain takes calculated risks and statistical decisions, Heart goes with ur gut feelings which can work or can be the reason for ur downfall,is it better to take this gamble? or go with the statistical decision given by the brain,one have to keep in mind brain does all its calculation with the information present to it,it cant predict future,can just give a concept of the future..but in the end its just a concept not the actual future

recently i am in a situation where if i follow what my heart is saying me it can may be temporarily satisfy me and other people but may turn out bad for us in long term(notice the bold term..it can also may no turn out bad..anyway its a gamble) but if i listen to my brain's logics it may turn out good in long term but will sadden some people in short term...but my brain cant predict the future right?..i am a little bit confused right now...

anyway i'd like to know if anybody have ever had this decisions to make where he followed his brain or heart and the decision was wrong or paid of..:)

p.s: u dont have to tell the incidents..just the decision u took and what was the outcome of it..passed or failed..thats it

nakedzero
July 21, 2011, 02:22 AM
I followed my heart (I'm talking about one of my life's most crucial matter), I have failed, I regret but it feels good too some where inside me!

Night_wolf
July 21, 2011, 02:58 AM
so thats heart 0 brain 1..umm interesting!

Naimul_Hd
July 21, 2011, 03:34 AM
My Brain gives me 4-5 options for every problem and my heart chooses one from them. Recently my heart is betraying me. Almost every decision is going against me. :(

Rabz
July 21, 2011, 04:40 AM
Its all circumstantial.
If its something that's going to make you die wondering why, you better try.

Just ask yourself this:
Ten years from now on, in retrospective, for better or for worse, would you have wanted to do this, despite the risk ???
Would you regret ??

But whatever your final decision is, stick to it.
Once its been made, dont doubt.

Banglaguy
July 21, 2011, 05:11 AM
I go with my heart, whether it works out or not is a totally different matter.

Nocturnal
July 21, 2011, 05:30 AM
Its all circumstantial.
If its something that's going to make you die wondering why, you better try.

Just ask yourself this:
Ten years from now on, in retrospective, for better or for worse, would you have wanted to do this, despite the risk ???
Would you regret ??

But whatever your final decision is, stick to it.
Once its been made, dont doubt.

Rabz bhai said it all....
remember the bold part .... very important ... stick to your plan.

shaad
July 21, 2011, 05:56 AM
Night_wolf,

In my case, it's a mix. First, the brain filters out and eliminates the utterly idiotic things that the heart might want on the spur of the moment. Then the heart (not gut feeling) together with the brain decides on what one wants (one of the criteria is, "is this something I'm going to regret all my life if I don't pursue it?"). Once the decision is made, the brain figures out the best way to achieve it.

I have used this technique numerous times in career and relationship-based forks in the road. And, I have to say, I have very few regrets about the roads not taken.

A couple of other things I will mention. As Bangladeshi/Bengali bhadroloks and bhadromohilas, we are socialized to always think of family and social obligations first when it comes to the consequences/effects of a decision. And, in general, that's not a bad thing. However, remember that ultimately it's your own life that you will be leading, and you have an obligation to yourself as well. I have many friends who made or were forced into decisions about careers or relationships when their hearts weren't into it by familial or societal expectations. Most of them still aren't happy, years and decades after the decision.

Good luck with your decision.

simon
July 21, 2011, 05:56 AM
what if one can't differentiate?:-D
I mean wether it's the brain or my heart.

thebest
July 21, 2011, 06:36 AM
in my friend cycle I was known as cold blooded murderer whose every decision was a calculated one. There is no place for heart. The end result I am gutted devastated and lost almost everything due to one miscalculation. Now I go by my heart. I may not got what I deserve, what I should have; but I have no regret and I am happy. Slowly but surely I am going back to life. Morale of Life: Only Allah knows what is best for you in long term; brain can not however heart could make you happy short term

nakedzero
July 21, 2011, 06:48 AM
so thats heart 0 brain 1..umm interesting!

Not really! Anyone would say I'm a looser, I regret if I could win and not have failed. But like I said brother, I feel good some where inside me, I know, my heart tells me silently each time I get upset and frustrated that I'm not the looser. I've peace in my mind, though I've failed. Actually I can't express my feeling brother! I've no words to express them, to write them.

Night_wolf
July 21, 2011, 07:25 AM
Umm thanks for the suggestions Rabz vai,Shaad vai,the best vai and nakedzero vai..i have some thinking to do..but i'll certainly keep rabz and shaad vai's prospectives in mind

Night_wolf
July 21, 2011, 07:28 AM
Not really! Anyone would say I'm a looser, I regret if I could win and not have failed. But like I said brother, I feel good some where inside me, I know, my heart tells me silently each time I get upset and frustrated that I'm not the looser. I've peace in my mind, though I've failed. Actually I can't express my feeling brother! I've no words to express them, to write them.

Bhaia u said that u failed because u followed ur heart..but u had mental satisfaction because of what u did...but have some regret right?...but if u can go back to that time and lets say get to make that decision again..and this time follow ur brain and change that decision would u do that?

goru
July 21, 2011, 08:29 AM
What about the third factor for us guys? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXmPFJqTHKo

nakedzero
July 21, 2011, 08:49 AM
Bhaia u said that u failed because u followed ur heart..but u had mental satisfaction because of what u did...but have some regret right?...but if u can go back to that time and lets say get to make that decision again..and this time follow ur brain and change that decision would u do that?

I'd keep following my heart brother! Insane, right? It is indeed!

Beamer
July 21, 2011, 10:28 AM
Moneyball.

roman
July 21, 2011, 10:52 AM
followed my heart once..it broke my heart into million pieces..

Nadim
July 21, 2011, 02:56 PM
followed my heart once..it broke my heart into million pieces..

Hey hey bhai, ek chekate eto piece:-p
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)

roman
July 21, 2011, 03:27 PM
Hey hey bhai, ek chekate eto piece:-p

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)
khub sensitive ekta bepar silo :)...

Equinox
July 21, 2011, 03:30 PM
Heart doesn't tell you anything. It's job is to pump blood.

AsifTheManRahman
July 21, 2011, 10:21 PM
Exactly. What you think your heart is telling you is actually being told by your brain anyways.

Naimul_Hd
July 22, 2011, 12:13 AM
khub sensitive ekta bepar silo :)...

tai bujhi roman bhai :-p

Night_wolf
July 22, 2011, 12:39 AM

my god!..what an extraordinary piece of discovery!...nobody here knew that

Antora
July 22, 2011, 04:37 AM
Followed my heart. Now that I am always in the fear of its consequences I wish I never did, and followed my brain.

lamisa
July 22, 2011, 10:46 AM
depends on the situation. in cases of guys, i use my brain and in cases of decisions regarding my studies and future, i follow my heart. so far, my heart has been doing a better job than my brain

Isnaad
July 22, 2011, 11:11 AM
I don't know actually. I go with the motions x)

Murad
July 22, 2011, 04:15 PM
You have to listen to both. You can't listen to your heart without the brain.

Ajfar
July 22, 2011, 08:18 PM
Ishh jodi amar brainer kotha shuntam taile morjinar jutar bari khaitam na
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)

Electrequiem
July 22, 2011, 09:45 PM
I think my heart has some sort of speech impediment. It's always saying gibberish like "Lub-dub ... Lub-dub ... Lub-dub."
<br />Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Android)